PDA

View Full Version : If you were in charge of the NCAA FCS Playoffs

gsugt1
November 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM
What would you change ?

This is what I would do. No more auto bids.Take the best 16 teams. It can't be that hard to do. Maybe use the GPI. Take the top 16 and be done with it. Looking at it those are the best teams that year IMO.

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I would seed, at least, the top 8. Give all seeds home field for round 1. At least that way, you can still stick within the geographical rules the NCAA has. I would also try and get the NC on Saturday or Sunday.

kardplayer
November 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
What would you change ?

This is what I would do. No more auto bids.Take the best 16 teams. It can't be that hard to do. Maybe use the GPI. Take the top 16 and be done with it. Looking at it those are the best teams that year IMO.

I would split the CAA into two AQ's (North and South) give AQ's to all the other conferences (Ivy, NEC, PFL) and eliminate at large's altogether.

You shouldn't really be able to call yourself a NATIONAL champion when you are not a Conference champion.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I would tell everyone to quit complaining. xlolx ;)

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I would split the CAA into two AQ's (North and South) give AQ's to all the other conferences (Ivy, NEC, PFL) and eliminate at large's altogether.

You shouldn't really be able to call yourself a NATIONAL champion when you are not a Conference champion.

The CAA could split into two leagues and accomplish the same thing.
It is possible to with a national championship without winning your conference. I know WKU did it in 2002. I'm sure there are others.

gsugt1
November 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
My goal would be to get the best 16 teams. Not the 12 best and 4 token choices that have no chance to win. Sorry :D

RationalGriz
November 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
What would you change ?

I do not think getting rid of the AQ would be the answer. A majority of the FCS schools must play 1 or 2 FBS teams to make there athletic budget balance out. I think that rewarding a team for winning their conference is fair, and gives many more teams a chance by getting on a run and playing good football down the stretch.

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I do not think getting rid of the AQ would be the answer. A majority of the FCS schools must play 1 or 2 FCS teams to make there athletic budget balance out. I think that rewarding a team for winning their conference is fair, and gives many more teams a chance by getting on a run and playing good football down the stretch.

I think that is a good point. Think about the NCAA basketball tourney. How awesome was George Mason's run? I would hate to think that we would not let a team play because a few committee members think they're not worthy. Isn't that the whole reason for an argument for a playoff in the FBS?

Chi Panther
November 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Seed the whole damn thing!!!!! Hosting team helps pay 33% of traveling Costs......xthumbsupx

RationalGriz
November 20th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I would also state that people are dickering over 3 or 4 teams in any given year. Even if you choose teams differently, and the final 3 or 4 teams are different, do these last choices have that much of a better chance of winning than the AQ. For example, I know many have a problem with Fordham being in, but does it really matter to many if it is the AQ from the Patriot or Villanova. I am going to say, not really.

RationalGriz
November 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I would seed 1-16 again

RationalGriz
November 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Maybe if Villanova joined the Patriot league they could have been the AQ

JayJ79
November 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I do not think getting rid of the AQ would be the answer. A majority of the FCS schools must play 1 or 2 FCS teams to make there athletic budget balance out. I think that rewarding a team for winning their conference is fair, and gives many more teams a chance by getting on a run and playing good football down the stretch.

I would hope the majority of the FCS schools would play more than 1 or 2 FCS teams.... with maybe 1 or 2 FBS teams mixed in. xsmiley_wix

kardplayer
November 20th, 2007, 10:09 PM
It is possible to with a national championship without winning your conference. I know WKU did it in 2002. I'm sure there are others.

I'm sure at large's win all the time - I'm not saying its not possible. I'm saying that is what I would do to improve the playoffs.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Seed 1-16 or at least 1-8 and find some reliable formula that could factor in SOS so teams won't have to schedule sure wins in non-conf ---

grayghost06
November 21st, 2007, 11:32 AM

JMU did it in 2004 and overcame all the roadblocks the NCAA could throw at them. Won all three games on the road, including against #2 & #3 seeds and then beat Montana in Chatty.

NE MT GRIZZ
November 21st, 2007, 11:32 AM
I'd move the title game to Vegas every 3rd year

OL FU
November 21st, 2007, 11:45 AM

that sounds like a good way to provide absolutely no incentive for conferences or conference teams to improvexrolleyesx xeekx

I agree that if the NCAA is going to force non-schollies to participate at this level they should have a shot at being in the playoffs, but one of the reasons conferences should want to get better is so that they can have more than one team in the playoffs.xnodx

FCS Preview
November 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM

Which means that teams that compete as an independent would have NO CHANCE at making the playoffs. Also the Ivy league chooses not to compete in the post-season.

Would you do the same thing to the men's basketball tournament? Have the 32 conference winners, and nobody else?

BigApp
November 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Keep the 8 autobids, I think conference champs should get some sort of reward. However...

If an FBS conference does NOT play a round-robin format, that conference shall not receive an Automatic Bid to the NCAA FCS football championship. Instead that Automatic Playoff Invitation will go to another conference not currently receiving Automatic Bid status, and is reviewable on an annual basis.

You'd still have 8 AQ's and 8 at-larges.

Conferences can't declare a 'true' champion if they don't all play each other, and shouldn't get an AQ.

FCS Preview
November 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Keep the 8 autobids, I think conference champs should get some sort of reward. However...

If an FBS conference does NOT play a round-robin format, that conference shall not receive an Automatic Bid to the NCAA FCS football championship. Instead that Automatic Playoff Invitation will go to another conference not currently receiving Automatic Bid status, and is reviewable on an annual basis.

Conferences can't declare a 'true' champion if they don't all play each other, and shouldn't get an AQ.

So you still have 8 AQ's, meaning a team that couldn't hack it as an at-large gets an AQ...but the CAA steals 5/8 of the at-large berths, instead of 4/8.

R.A.
November 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM

I agree completely xlolx Go win more games and stop your whinningxlolx xlolx

BigApp
November 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM
...but the CAA steals 5/8 of the at-large berths, instead of 4/8.

I do believe you're coming around! xthumbsupx

Slammer50111
November 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
I say seed all 16 teams. Higher seed gets the home game no more buying home games you have to earn them on the field.

FCS Preview
November 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM
I say seed all 16 teams. Higher seed gets the home game no more buying home games you have to earn them on the field.

OTOH you'd have faking of the seeds by the NCAA. No way would Del State, ranked higher in the polls, get a home game against UD, when UD's stadium holds more than 4x the fans of Del State's. So UD would be artificially seeded higher than DSU.

danefan
November 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM

I'd follow the title game to Vegas every 3rd yearxthumbsupx

wapiti
November 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM
add four more teams to the playoffs.
2 more AQ's
Great West and ???
2 more at-large

Seed all 20 teams.

The top four seeds would get a first round bye
Meanwhile the bottom 8 teams play against each other for the right to play at a top seeded team.

Tealblood
November 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Somewhere sometime real soon they need to figure out who and why gets the AQ's.

The Big South ain't got one now but the time is coming

Ronin
November 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
Continue with the AQ just to include a few "dark horse" teams.

Use the GPI for seeding and selection of at-large teams. Top 4 have home field advantage.

Possibly break-up the CAA into two conferences.

...And move the Championship game to some place warm, like Florida, Texas, Arizona, Southern California. May improve your fan participation.

FCS Preview
November 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
add four more teams to the playoffs.
2 more AQ's
Great West and ???
2 more at-large

Seed all 20 teams.

The top four seeds would get a first round bye
Meanwhile the bottom 8 teams play against each other for the right to play at a top seeded team.

With 20 teams, the top 12 get a bye. The bottom 8 play to become 4.
4 get folded into the 12, for a round of 16.

danefan
November 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM
Add two teams....

1 AQ's (NEC)
1 at-large

Seed top 8 teams.
Have two play-in games with the last four teams in.

Send the winners to the #1 and #2 seeded teams regardless of regionalization.

Oh wait, that's going to happen next year.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 21st, 2007, 01:44 PM

Why only every 3rd year?

Great idea...just every year.

Cheap flights, plenty of rooms, no down side.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM

xthumbsupx

wapiti
November 21st, 2007, 01:48 PM

I like that too.
Big point being to have 20 teams in.
Maybe the Ivy leage could be lured into the playoffs with an AQ.

Ronin
November 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Why only every 3rd year?

Sounds warm, cheap flights and hotel, plenty of off field fun. Great idea. xthumbsupx

CJHawkeyes
November 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM

As long as seeds and at-large teams are determined by subjective means and money rather than on-field accompishments dictates homefield advantage, there will always be complaining. Notice how no one missing out on the playoffs in objectively determined competitions ever complains. That is because the rules spell out precisely why they didn't.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM
As long as seeds and at-large teams are determined by subjective means and money rather than on-field accompishments dictates homefield advantage, there will always be complaining. Notice how no one missing out on the playoffs in objectively determined competitions ever complains. That is because the rules spell out precisely why they didn't.

I was joking. xthumbsupx

blukeys
November 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM

Wow, just a sneaky way to eliminate the toughest conference from an auto-bid. I guess you would give the auto bid to the PFL as opposed to the CAA.

Who from the CAA ran over your puppy to get you in such a bad mood?

CJHawkeyes
November 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM
I was joking. xthumbsupx

Don't I look like an idiot. :D Anyway, Go Panthers!

BigApp
November 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Wow, just a sneaky way to eliminate the toughest conference from an auto-bid. I guess you would give the auto bid to the PFL as opposed to the CAA.

Who from the CAA ran over your puppy to get you in such a bad mood?

Don't think I specifically mentioned the CAA, but if the shoe fits...besides, ICBW but every other conference in the country doesn't have a problem with round robin formats.

Say bk, would you have liked to have had a shot at UMass in the Tub this year?

Would you have enjoyed seeing them play @ Richmond and/or @ James Madison?

They played NONE of you, yet played the teams that finished below you, and STUH-RUGGLED through 4 OT's to beat Villanova at home.

How can they be your 'conference champ' when they didn't play your best teams? (Seems we have this discussion every single year)

I know Appfans would sure like to not have to play GaSouthern, Wofford and Furman each and every year (and vice versa).

TokyoGriz
November 21st, 2007, 04:20 PM
I would have to agree with seeding 1-16.

Dump the at large

putter
November 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
I would stop the NCAA from nickel and diming our division. Our AD said that Montana only gets about 5% of the gate from playoff games and still has to submit a bid. Negotiate a quality contract with ESPN/ABC to pay for and promote the FCS and playoffs. That way everyone can benefit from the format.

NE MT GRIZZ
November 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Why only every 3rd year?

There was another thread about the NC site.
Roughly 33% of the FCS teams are West of the Mississippi.

Western teams that make the final game historically don't travel well to the East.

Even if the NC game doesn't have a team from the West in it, Vegas is usually pretty cheap and easy to fly into from anywhere.

If the Grizz made a title game that was held in Vegas, you would probably have 30,000 Grizz fans.

mvemjsunpx
November 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Things to improve the playoffs:

1. Getting rid of auto-bids is stupid. If that happens, we may as well get rid of conferences & just play as 120 independents.

2. Keep up the push to expand the field to 24 teams. Regular-season scheduling may become tricky, but I think FCS is too large for just 16 playoff teams.

A) NEC gets an auto-bid in 2008 (18 teams)
B) PFL gets an auto-bid in 2009 or 2010 (20 teams)
(Is there a scholarship requirement for auto-bid eligibility?)
C) Big South gets an auto-bid in 2011 when they become eligible (22 teams)
D) Then, hopefully the Ivy League will realize they're being completely impractical & accept an auto-bid (24 teams)
E) Unfortunately, I don't see the Great West ever becoming auto-bid eligible.
F) I don't see the SWAC giving up their own "bowl" games & reaccepting an auto-bid, either.

3. Change the selection process slightly. Namely, use an independent panel of FCS experts rather than AD's who usually prop up teams from their own conferences.

4. Return to seeding all the competing teams, only fudging the seeds to keep conference opponents as far apart as possible (as was done in the 1990's). The current "regional" system hasn't been very regional since 2002, anyway.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM

Western teams that make the final game historically don't travel well to the East.

Even if the NC game doesn't have a team from the West in it, Vegas is usually pretty cheap and easy to fly into from anywhere.

If the Grizz made a title game that was held in Vegas, you would probably have 30,000 Grizz fans.

Isn't Chattanogga in the west?

NE MT GRIZZ
November 21st, 2007, 05:07 PM
Isn't Chattanogga in teh west?
Not by Montana standards

It is pretty close to the geographical center of FCS

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM
I still say Vagas!

KiddBrewer
November 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM

What does that do for the teams in the CAA that had the same record and the coin toss won the autobid, or app, or many others....that option would cause a lot more problems IMO

CJHawkeyes
November 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Don't think I specifically mentioned the CAA, but if the shoe fits...besides, ICBW but every other conference in the country doesn't have a problem with round robin formats.

Say bk, would you have liked to have had a shot at UMass in the Tub this year?

Would you have enjoyed seeing them play @ Richmond and/or @ James Madison?

They played NONE of you, yet played the teams that finished below you, and STUH-RUGGLED through 4 OT's to beat Villanova at home.

How can they be your 'conference champ' when they didn't play your best teams? (Seems we have this discussion every single year)

I know Appfans would sure like to not have to play GaSouthern, Wofford and Furman each and every year (and vice versa).

I don't think your argument works. Why does a nine-team conference that plays a round robin schedule deserve an auto bid but a 12-team conference that plays as many conference does not? CAA teams do not have a competitive advantage. In fact, they all compete against more teams for one AQ and are not guaranteed to play the teams they need to beat to assure them of winning the auto berth.

igo4uni
November 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM
I don't think your argument works. Why does a nine-team conference that plays a round robin schedule deserve an auto bid but a 12-team conference that plays as many conference does not? CAA teams do not have a competitive advantage. In fact, they all compete against more teams for one AQ and are not guaranteed to play the teams they need to beat to assure them of winning the auto berth.

Hawkeyes????????...........No................!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJHawkeyes
November 21st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hawkeyes????????...........No................!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shouldn't I feel worse about it than you?:D UNI is arguably the best team in the state. Hopefully, the Panthers can bring home a national title.

igo4uni
November 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Shouldn't I feel worse about it than you?:D UNI is arguably the best team in the state. Hopefully, the Panthers can bring home a national title.

Well, I'm glad to hear it.

Just curious............why are you here???

igo4uni
November 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM

Arguably???

CJHawkeyes
November 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear it.

Just curious............why are you here???

I follow UNI to an extent and I just came looking for a board that caters to FCS fans.

CJHawkeyes
November 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Arguably???

Well, until UNI ever beats Iowa, I won't believe it can be done just because the Panthers fair better against the Cyclones. :D

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
Even if the NC game doesn't have a team from the West in it, Vegas is usually pretty cheap and easy to fly into from anywhere.33%? No. More like 25%. So 3/4 of the FCS should travel by plane to the champ game when they can drive now?

igo4uni
November 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Well, until UNI ever beats Iowa, I won't believe it can be done just because the Panthers fair better against the Cyclones. :D

Yup........beating the Cyclowns is pretty easy....oops...........sorry about that loss in Ames!!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

McTailGator
November 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
What would you change ?

This is what I would do. No more auto bids. Take the best 16 teams. It can't be that hard to do. Maybe use the GPI. Take the top 16 and be done with it. Looking at it those are the best teams that year IMO.

No I would stay with the Auto Bids, gotta make winning the Conference championship worth something...

BUT, I'd do the following:

+ Leverage the NCAA Basketball Tournament with the networks to force them to include full or improved coverage of the FCS Championships on better time slots.

+ Set the minimum scholarships at a 57 average over a 3 year period to be considered for inclusion;

+ Seed all 16 teams, with No. 16 playing at No. 1. and so on and so forth;

+ Only Friday game allowed would be a 1st round NIGHT game only and all games televised on ESPN Game Plan, with a 50 mile backout rule;

+ NCAA uses a combination of Basketball tournament TV revenue, sponsors, and ticket revenue to pay all 16 teams a minimum of $75,000 after expenses;

+ Home teams, would be allowed to be home teams, screw the noise maker, and PA rules. It's FOOTBALL for Christ sake!

+ 4 Q-Final games broadcast regionally, and Blacked out within 50 miles if not sold out 18 hours prior to the game.

+ All 8 Q-Finalists get a minimum of $125,000 each after expenses;

+ 2 Semi Final Games played on Saturday and broadcast at 2:30 EST, and the other at 6:00 EST, with live gameday coverage from home of the Top Ranked Team's site, which should get the final game of the day;

+ All 4 Semi-Teams get a minimum of $200,000 each after expenses;

+ The NC game will be played at 7:PM on the final Saturday NIGHT before Christmas Eve.

+ Both finalists get a minimum of $250,000 each after expenses.

The NCAA needs to go after an airline and make them "The Official Airline" of the Division I Football Championships, and visiting teams would be given special pricing to fans to allow larger groups of visiting fans to travel to all games.

ASUMountaineer
November 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
33%? No. More like 25%. So 3/4 of the FCS should travel by plane to the champ game when they can drive now?

I love that picture, it's like Boone is Greenwich and we sit on the Prime Meridian.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Let's see...
No regionality to keep travel expenses down
$1.2mil plus all expenses for the first round
$1mil plus all expenses for the second round
$800K plus all expenses for the third round
$500K plus all expenses for the final round

You forgot...

ONLY GREEN M&Ms!!!!

McTailGator
November 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Let's see...
No regionality to keep travel expenses down
$1.2mil plus all expenses for the first round
$1mil plus all expenses for the second round
$800K plus all expenses for the third round
$500K plus all expenses for the final round

You forgot...

ONLY GREEN M&Ms!!!!

That is why you leverage the NCAA Basketball Tournament TV rights, and GO get some sponsors.

$3.5 Million is CHICKEN feed when you consider what the NCAA gets for Basketball coverage. I bet the next TV contract gets about 30 or 40 million more than the last one. We just need 10% of the INCREASE over the last contract.

Plus, they can allow sponsorships for each round, and easily pay for the Gurantees. It's not all that far fetched at all. It's only 3.5 million. Hell. a $1.00 ticket surcharge on all FCS tickets throught the year would more than cover that.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 08:46 PM
That is why you leverage the NCAA Basketball Tournament TV rights, and GO get some sponsors.

$3.5 Million is CHICKEN feed when you consider what the NCAA gets for Basketball coverage. I bet the next TV contract gets about 30 or 40 million more than the last one. We just need 10% of the INCREASE over the last contract.

Plus, they can allow sponsorships for each round, and easily pay for the Gurantees. It's not all that far fetched at all. It's only 3.5 million. Hell. a $1.00 ticket surcharge on all FCS tickets throught the year would more than cover that.What about the $250K in expenses per game now? Imagine without regionality that may be $4K. So that's $3.5mil in cash, $6mil in expenses. How much more for the scholarships? Not even going to ask why basketball should pay for football and the bouhaha that would bring. Maybe we should get more from the BCS????

Plus I hear you have to pay more for green M&Ms but we can dream big! :)

appsfan
November 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM

I like that idea. It also rewards the top 12 with a bye week to heal up before they enter the playoffs.xthumbsupx

westdakotabison
November 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
33%? No. More like 25%. So 3/4 of the FCS should travel by plane to the champ game when they can drive now?

Flying might be a nice experience for some of the players. That and seeing a different part of the country other than where they can go on a weekend getaway. It could be considered an educational experience.xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM
Flying might be a nice experience for some of the players. That and seeing a different part of the country other than where they can go on a weekend getaway. It could be considered an educational experience.xcoffeexWhat about the other thousands of people making arrangements on six days notice? xreadx

westdakotabison
November 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
What about the other thousands of people making arrangements on six days notice? xreadx

Why should it be any different for people in the eastern part of the US than for those of us in flyover country?

McTailGator
November 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM
What about the $250K in expenses per game now? Imagine without regionality that may be $4K. So that's $3.5mil in cash, $6mil in expenses. How much more for the scholarships? Not even going to ask why basketball should pay for football and the bouhaha that would bring. Maybe we should get more from the BCS????

Plus I hear you have to pay more for green M&Ms but we can dream big! :)

As I said, 3.5 Million is a drop in the bucket simply from the RAISE that the NCAA will get from the next NCAA basketball tourney. PLUS they could charge each FCS institution a $1 a ticket Championship service fee, which would have raised $5.75 million alone last year.

If you only charged a 25 cent per ticket fee on EVERY Division I school, that number would be about $12 Million dollars from the 43 million people that bought tickets to Division I games in 2006.

And we haven't even touched on what Sponsorships could bring in.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 10:23 PM
Why should it be any different for people in the eastern part of the US than for those of us in flyover country?Because that's where 3/4 of the teams are at?

McT: I like some of your ideas but taxing every school for the football tourney would be unprecedented. Expecting basketball tournaments to subsidize football would be as well. Face it, we will get there when we can but we're not there yet. I still think getting money from the BCS is a better idea. Plus without regionalization the costs are much higher... a couple million more at least.

McTailGator
November 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM
Because that's where 3/4 of the teams are at?

McT: I like some of your ideas but taxing every school for the football tourney would be unprecedented. Expecting basketball tournaments to subsidize football would be as well. Face it, we will get there when we can but we're not there yet. I still think getting money from the BCS is a better idea. Plus without regionalization the costs are much higher... a couple million more at least.

That is only one idea (the service fee on tickets).

SPONSORSHIPS and Leveraging the Basketball tourney is also one idea.

Put all of them together, and 5 mill is still SMALL CHANGE.

kardplayer
November 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Which means that teams that compete as an independent would have NO CHANCE at making the playoffs. Also the Ivy league chooses not to compete in the post-season.

Would you do the same thing to the men's basketball tournament? Have the 32 conference winners, and nobody else?

1. Yes, I wouldn't allow independents in FCS. Find a conference. There would have to be some way to "force" conferences to take them if need be.

2. If the Ivy doesn't want to compete, then so be it - less teams in the playoffs then.

3. Yes. I would limit the basketball tournament to just conference champions. That's the way it was before they expanded it in the 70's. Makes the conference tournaments meaningful.

The downside is that you'd have a whole bunch of essentially exhibition games, but really, we're not far from that now. Look at the OOC for this year's at larges (note, I'm not picking on anyone's scheduling, just pointing out that FCS OOC has little to do with at larges):

By conference, in alpha order
Big Sky

Eastern Washington - DII, UC Davis, FBS (BYU) - essentially one meaningful OOC game for playoff purposes, as the DII game doesn't count towards eligibility and the FBS game was a loss (and usually is)
CAA (I know some of their "OOC" games are actually against other CAA schools, but i'm lumping them in for this purpose)

UMass (not sure if they are at large or Richmond is) - Holy Cross, at Colgate, FBS (BC) - Two FCS OOC is pretty much the leader on the scoreboard here. They probably could have lost both though and still been in at 7-4 (see UNH)
Richmond (not sure if they are at large or UMass is) - FBS (Vandy), at Bucknell, Stony Brook - an FBS, a historically bad Patriot League team and a team that may be good someday but isn't there yet
JMU - FBS, VMI, Coastal Carolina
UNH - FBS, Dartmouth, Iona
Delaware - FBS, DII, MonmouthGateway

Southern Illinois - DII, FBS, Southern Utah, Ark-PB, HamptonOVC

Eastern Illinois - FBS, Illinois State, Indiana StateSouthern

Appalachian State - FBS, DII, Northern ArizonaSo, by my count, the 8 at large schools played a total of 4 or 5 OOC games (depending on whether UMass or Richmond was at large) against schools that have been in the FCS playoffs sometime in the last few years - and, as it turned out (not that the AD's knew this when scheduling), amongst the losers, only Colgate had a sniff at an at large to the playoffs this year. To me, it says that conference play is far more important than OOC, so why not just let the conferences crown champions and then let the champions play?

This would also enable conference championship games, since the playoffs would shrink.

kardplayer
November 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
What does that do for the teams in the CAA that had the same record and the coin toss won the autobid, or app, or many others....that option would cause a lot more problems IMO

I would split the CAA into two conferences. Most of the time head-to-head would decide the AQ since the tied teams would have actually played each other.

As for App, they lost to Wofford head to head, so that would eliminate them.

kardplayer
November 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
that sounds like a good way to provide absolutely no incentive for conferences or conference teams to improvexrolleyesx xeekx

I agree that if the NCAA is going to force non-schollies to participate at this level they should have a shot at being in the playoffs, but one of the reasons conferences should want to get better is so that they can have more than one team in the playoffs.xnodx

IMHO, conferences don't choose to improve, schools choose. Once one school chooses to improve, the other schools options are to either let them go or try to compete. Either way, its a school by school choice, not the conference as a whole.