PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Raymond.. on Del St vs UD

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Raymond speaks out on rivalry; Coach: Stubborness from UD led to no grid game with DSU

http://www.newszap.com/articles/2007/11/20/dm/central_delaware/sports/dsnsp02.txt

aceinthehole
November 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
IMO - a classy, and brutally honest response.

Oldhen
November 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM
FWIW, in off-the-record chats I had with folks at DSU back in the Collick years, Bob Carpenter's name figured prominently. Never knew what to make of it, but the guy was absolutely the 800 lb. gorilla when it came to UD athletics.... witness our sports building, affectionately known as "The Bob"

LacesOut
November 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Good read.

Good post/thread, thanks.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Perfectly sensible reason. Not quite the hotbed of racial bigotry the Pearlman's of the world tried to say it was, but that's not surprising either. Like I said before, UD's position has been arrogant, selfish, and elitist - but not racist. And we can live with that. xpeacex

Monarch History
November 20th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Perfectly sensible reason. Not quite the hotbed of racial bigotry the Pearlman's of the world tried to say it was, but that's not surprising either. Like I said before, UD's position has been arrogant, selfish, and elitist - but not racist. And we can live with that. xpeacex

I agree with GannonFan that UD's position has been arrogant, selfish, and elitist but you would be naive to think that in the '50s, '60's and early '70's racism never played a part. But this is 2007 and that was 30 years ago.

This game will be good for the state. :)

LacesOut
November 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM
^Bump^

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM
What Tubby said!xthumbsupx

RadMann
November 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I grew up as a neighbor of former athletic director, head coach and College Football Hall of Fame member Dave Nelson (the man who invented the Wing T, brought the winged helmet to UD and brought Tubby to UD as an assistant) and if you ever knew him you would know that at least from him, racism had absolutely nothing to do with this DSU/UD issue. I've met few people in my life who I have respected as much. He also coached the first black players at UD and some of the earliest black student athletes at UD in the 50's. One must remember though that in the 50's in Newark, as in most of the US, black folk could not eat at the lunch counter alongside whites, or see a movie or ride a bus. I remember Coach Nelson telling stories about that issue and facing that segregation as a coach of a team with black and white players.

BlueHen86
November 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
FWIW, in off-the-record chats I had with folks at DSU back in the Collick years, Bob Carpenter's name figured prominently. Never knew what to make of it, but the guy was absolutely the 800 lb. gorilla when it came to UD athletics.... witness our sports building, affectionately known as "The Bob"

I have heard the same thing.