PDA

View Full Version : FAMU Head Football Coach Fired

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
FAMU to fire Townsend, Carter
Sources say Ammons may announce changes today
By Heath A. Smith
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER Print Email to a friend Subscribe

Florida A&M President James Ammons has decided to fire university athletic director Nelson Townsend and head football coach Rubin Carter as early as today, sources told the Tallahassee Democrat.

An athletic department staff meeting has been scheduled for 9 a.m.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071120/FAMU03/711200320

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2007, 03:02 AM
The Rattlers will be backxnodx

813Jag
November 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM
The Rattlers will be backxnodx
Who are the candidates?

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Who are the candidates?

Former FAMU assitant football coah Allan Bogan has been named the interim AD

DSUHornet
November 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Who are the candidates?

get the michagan man xlolx

RAMS83
November 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
U Richmond - Dave Clawson - UMass Don Brown and Elon's Pete Lembo are 3 of the 5 candidates who will be interviewed for the Head Coaching position.

WCU LawCat
November 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Why would any of those coaches leave the CAA/SoCon to join a MEAC squad?

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM
U Richmond - Dave Clawson - UMass Don Brown and Elon's Pete Lembo are 3 of the 5 candidates who will be interviewed for the Head Coaching position.

Where did you see that list???

blackcaesar3k5
November 21st, 2007, 03:37 AM
big DAWG

Is former Tennessee State Head Football Coach L.C. Cole and his brother Johnnie Cole are candidates for job at FAMU?

th0m
November 21st, 2007, 04:47 AM

What he said. And on top of that, three successful coaches.

Maybe they can get Stowers now that he left URI xlolx Or pry Cosgrove from Maine, Jeff'd love you for it.

Mr. Tiger
November 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM

I doubt this is true. But Florida A&M does have the resources, tradition, and location to be an attractive job for a quality coach.

HIU 93
November 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM

I don't think that list is accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me if a top tier FCS coach did take the FAMU job. FAMU has the money to spend and a ravenous football culture.

SU Jag
November 21st, 2007, 09:54 AM
I don't think that list is accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me if a top tier FCS coach did take the FAMU job. FAMU has the money to spend and a ravenous football culture.

You're right. FAMU has the money, the tradition, and the fanbase to go after whoever they want...................note to Alabama A&M(you better start paying Anthony Jones!)

blackcaesar3k5
November 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Dr. Ammons wants a coach that can win big games and national titles.. I believe L.C. Cole, Rick Comegy and Rod Broadway are the coaches that Ammons want the most.. Jones is in perfect situation down in Alabama..

blukeys
November 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM

I agree. Florida A&M's tradition goes back to the 50's and 60's. They were the first I-AA champ and for most FCS coaches this would be a very appealing opportunity.

jstate83
November 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM
Dr. Ammons wants a coach that can win big games and national titles.. I believe L.C. Cole, Rick Comegy and Rod Broadway are the coaches that Ammons want the most.. Jones is in perfert situation down in Alabama..

Forget that one. xlolx
NO CHANCE of even talking to him. xlolx

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm just sitting back and watching...Oh yeah, the whole staff has just been let go.

This gives the next coach the chance to bring in his own staff.

jstate83
November 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm just sitting back and watching...Oh yeah, the whole staff has just been let go.

This gives the next coach the chance to bring in his own staff.

That's what we did.
Ad/Coach/Staff all out the door when the ax fell on Bell.xbowx
JSU put financial package together for Comegy and let him hand pick his guy's.

Since we had to go outside the JSU fold for the first time, we basically doubled the salaries of the coaches to get him and his assistant's.

blackcaesar3k5
November 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Rumor has it that candidates for FAMU are L.C. Cole, Deiondri Clark, Earl Holmes, Darrell Ashberry, Kent Schoolfield, Morgan State defensive coordinator Alzono Lee and Former FAMU head football coach Billy Joe..

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
We'll see...

blackcaesar3k5
November 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM
This info was on Footballscoop.com/scoop.htm.

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I saw it earlier...

We just have to wait and see...

Mr. Tiger
November 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Rumor has it that candidates for FAMU are L.C. Cole, Deiondri Clark, Earl Holmes, Darrell Asberry, Kent Schoolfield, Morgan State defensive coordinator Alzono Lee and Former FAMU head football coach Billy Joe..

That would be a shock. You really think the adminstration would bring him out of retirement?

Clark has a good resume. Asberry is a former Jackson State QB and coach. xthumbsupx

blackcaesar3k5
November 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Mr. tiger

Albany State fired Hampton Smith back in late seventies and later re-hired him.. He was one truly responible for making Albany State into SIAC powerhouse back in 80's and mid 90's.. Also South Carolina State brought back Willie Jefferies after he left for Witcha State and then he was coaching and winning at Howard.. SCSU was happy to replace Dennis Thomas with Willie Jefferies.. This scernio has happen with Virgina Union back in 90's, when they hired their former head football coach Willard Bailey.. It was Bailey who build the Panthers ino CIAA power back in seventies, early 80's and again late 90's and early 2000's..

The Washington Redskins brought back their Hall of Fame Head Football Coach in Joe Gibbs.. Yea, the skins was in the playoffs back in 2005. They might make the playoffs in 2007.

Four of the coaches that won national titles at FAMU had ties to state of Ohio.. I'm speaking of Rudy Hubbard, Billy Joe, Bill Bell and Jake Gaither..

blackcaesar3k5
November 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Tiger,

Ashberry is protegee of W.C. Gorden, James Carson and Rod Broadway.. I believe Ashberry want a chance to be next head football coach at Jackson State.. If Comegy decides to leave Jackson, Mississippi, for situation somewhere in MEAC..

Rumor has it people is already fed up with Comegy and James Woody.. Again I wouldn't be shocked if Woody become candidate for head coaching gig at FAMU.. IF FAMU decides to named Coach Billy Joe as their athletic director.. Woody is younger verision of Billy Joe when it comes to attacking defenses with k-gun offense..