PDA

View Full Version : What are the first round TV regulations?

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Once ESPN has taken their game, and ESPNU taken another, that leaves six first round games not being televised.

Are there rules that prevent the home (or road) institution from televising the games locally?

danefan
November 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I doubt it. ESPN probably has the right of first refusal to televise their games of choice with a minimum requirement per round.

I can't imagine the NCAA would prevent local stations from airing the game if ESPN opted not to.

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I doubt it. ESPN probably has the right of first refusal to televise their games of choice with a minimum requirement per round.

I can't imagine the NCAA would prevent local stations from airing the game if ESPN opted not to.

That may create a home field advantage. And, as we know (thank you Miles "PC" Brand) that is the absolute worst thing that could happen.

Cincy App
November 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM

That's correct. ESPN has first chance at these games but other networks get an opportunity if they refuse. It looks like the ASU-JMU game will be on regional TV based on goasu.com's report as follows:

SATURDAY TELEVISION/GAME TIME UPDATE: The NCAA has received bids to regionally televise Saturday’s NCAA Division I Championship first-round game between Appalachian and James Madison at Kidd Brewer Stadium. It will review the bids and award the broadcasting rights to the game on Tuesday. Once the rights have been awarded, the television network will select the game’s kickoff time. As soon as the television arrangements and kickoff time are finalized, complete information will be available at GoASU.com.