PDA

View Full Version : Salukis to be new #1!!!!

salukidean
September 10th, 2005, 11:24 PM
What a crazy day in I-AA!!! I think all the action on the field and upsets among ranked teams showed every one in the country that the most entertaining football is in our division.

However, I'm surprised that no one seems to be talking about the team destined to take over the #1 spot when this weeks poll comes out.

Southern Illinois definitely showed today that last seasons performance was no fluke. I know the opponent today was expected to be a cupcake.....but an 82-7 shellacking is brutal no matter who you play.

Trust me....this score could have been even more lopsided if SIU wouldn't have let up. If the ball was thrown at all in the second half, the Dawgs would have reached triple digits and if the starters (or even second string) played any major minutes, 150 points could have been within reach.

Watch out this year for the Salukis! They are back for more in 2005....better than ever and destined to run the table!

mainejeff
September 10th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Does Southern Illinois like running up the score on patsies? They seem to have a game like this every season. This is an honest question, not meant to belittle SIU's accomplishments or ranking.

swaghook
September 10th, 2005, 11:28 PM
The bigger they are the harder they fall. NDSU might just be SIU's nightmare this year.

Toppermaniac
September 10th, 2005, 11:28 PM
What a crazy day in I-AA!!! I think all the action on the field and upsets among ranked teams showed every one in the country that the most entertaining football is in our division.

However, I'm surprised that no one seems to be talking about the team destined to take over the #1 spot when this weeks poll comes out.

Southern Illinois definitely showed today that last seasons performance was no fluke. I know the opponent today was expected to be a cupcake.....but an 82-7 shellacking is brutal no matter who you play.

Trust me....this score could have been even more lopsided if SIU wouldn't have let up. If the ball was thrown at all in the second half, the Dawgs would have reached triple digits and if the starters (or even second string) played any major minutes, 150 points could have been within reach.

Watch out this year for the Salukis! They are back for more in 2005....better than ever and destined to run the table!

WKU was up 63-3 last week with almost half of the third quarter left to play. The put in their 3rd and 4th string and basically called off the dogs at that point. They could have scored 100 if they wanted to, but what good would it do? Scores like that really mean absolutely nothing.

salukidean
September 10th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Unfortunately, we are usually stuck with a patsy or two each year as most teams refuse to play us. Our athletic department seeks out the strongest teams possible and have a I-A team on the schedule each year.

We actually sought out other top I-AA teams to fill this spot on the calendar....but after being repeatedly turned down by those scared to play us, we had no option but to accept a game against Union.

salukidean
September 10th, 2005, 11:35 PM
The bigger they are the harder they fall. NDSU might just be SIU's nightmare this year.

I happy to have the game with NDSU and look forward to a great ballgame. If SIU happens to lose that matchup (and I know its not a given), I'll be the first to congratulate them. I just wish more of the top 25 teams in I-AA had the courage to face the Salukis on the field. It's a shame that many of them run in the opposite direction when faced with the opportunity to sign a contract against SIU.

umassfan
September 10th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, we are usually stuck with a patsy or two each year as most teams refuse to play us. Our athletic department seeks out the strongest teams possible and have a I-A team on the schedule each year.

We actually sought out other top I-AA teams to fill this spot on the calendar....but after being repeatedly turned down by those scared to play us, we had no option but to accept a game against Union.
Scared to play you? Your AD was unreasonable asking for a home only game for you... who wants to play just one game at your place?

bkrownd
September 10th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Does Southern Illinois like running up the score on patsies? They seem to have a game like this every season. This is an honest question, not meant to belittle SIU's accomplishments or ranking.

Real men love to beat the crap out of wimps. HTH :nod:

salukidean
September 10th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Scared to play you? Your AD was unreasonable asking for a home only game for you... who wants to play just one game at your place?

We'll play anyone, anytime, anyplace....if only the opponents will agree to it. Last year, we had to play a game at Delaware State (with no return engagement) as no one other I-AA team was up to the challenge. If any quality opponent wants a home and home agreement, I know you won't see SIU running away from the opportunity.

P2TheB
September 10th, 2005, 11:57 PM
salukidean-

I think they are referring to the fact that your AD only wanted to play a home game. Top 1-AA teams are only going to play home and homes with top 1-AA teams, not a home game with a little money. If you want to play the top teams, you have to establish home and homes. UNI has done this with Northwestern State/Stephen F. Austin/Northern Arizona/etc... If I were Southern, I would try to get SEMO/Murray/Eastern Illinois (1 of the 3 each year), a 1-A game, a Southland conference opponent (NW St., McNeese, SFA, etc...), and Valpo/Drake/Dayton (insert any 1-AA non-scholy from your area) on your non-conference schedule each year. Those are games in which are of regional interest, and beats playing the NAIA/D2 games each year. I know I hope UNI goes to a 1-AA non-scholy team each year, in addition to 1-A game, SDSU, and Northern Arizona/NW State.

salukidean
September 11th, 2005, 12:15 AM
salukidean-

I think they are referring to the fact that your AD only wanted to play a home game. Top 1-AA teams are only going to play home and homes with top 1-AA teams, not a home game with a little money. If you want to play the top teams, you have to establish home and homes. UNI has done this with Northwestern State/Stephen F. Austin/Northern Arizona/etc... If I were Southern, I would try to get SEMO/Murray/Eastern Illinois (1 of the 3 each year), a 1-A game, a Southland conference opponent (NW St., McNeese, SFA, etc...), and Valpo/Drake/Dayton (insert any 1-AA non-scholy from your area) on your non-conference schedule each year. Those are games in which are of regional interest, and beats playing the NAIA/D2 games each year. I know I hope UNI goes to a 1-AA non-scholy team each year, in addition to 1-A game, SDSU, and Northern Arizona/NW State.

I don't think our AD has ever insisted upon home games only...as I stated above, we actually had to take a one game contract on the road last year to fill our schedule as no other options were available. I also believe the NDSU contract includes a return game in 2006 (and I hope this can become a regular matchup). We also schedule a D-I school each year...last year we played Northern Illinois and this year we face Western Michigan (with matchups signed against Indiana next year and Northwestern in 2008). The NAIA/D2 games are not our preference at all (as a matter of fact, we'd prefer to avoid them)....however, when other I-AA schools aren't up for the challenge that the Salukis present, we have to do what we have to do in order to fill the non-conference part of our schedule.

leatherneck177
September 11th, 2005, 12:37 AM
That is a lot of talk for a team that has not won a playoff game in the last two years. Also, it does not help a team to schedule these schools, i.e. WIU beat Cheney last year 98-7.

Rabbit3467
September 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I would really love to see SIU ranked number 1 at the end of the year. It would give the bison a chance to play the best team in 1-AA in their second year of 1-AA classification. Any game against a ranked opponent just brings more recognition to NDSU, win or lose. Congrats to SIU today and I look forward to watching the game at the end of year.

salukidean
September 11th, 2005, 01:08 AM
That is a lot of talk for a team that has not won a playoff game in the last two years. Also, it does not help a team to schedule these schools, i.e. WIU beat Cheney last year 98-7.

Maybe you should read my quotes before you start talking crap about SIU scheduling these type of games. Several years ago when our team sucked we did seek these type of contests out so we wouldn't end up 0-11. Now that we are one of the most dominant I-AA teams in the country, no one will play us and we are stuck having to play a school such as Union once again. I never said it helps our team to play them....if anything, it does hurt us and perhaps that why A-10 schools and others across the country refuse to schedule us.

mainejeff
September 11th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Did your AD talk with Maine's AD? We were stuck playing William Penn today :( .

Grande Rosso
September 11th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Maybe you should read my quotes before you start talking crap about SIU scheduling these type of games. Several years ago when our team sucked we did seek these type of contests out so we wouldn't end up 0-11. Now that we are one of the most dominant I-AA teams in the country, no one will play us and we are stuck having to play a school such as Union once again. I never said it helps our team to play them....if anything, it does hurt us and perhaps that why A-10 schools and others across the country refuse to schedule us.
Hey rook, take this stuff to the smack board.

Are you the AD at SIU? You seem to be awfully knowledgeable about the intricacies of SIU and I-AA scheduling. There happen to be other reasons (prior scheduling committments, flight arrangements, etc) that might prevent someone from traveling to the airline hub, Carbondale, IL.

"We also schedule a D-I school each year..",

isn't SIU D-I(AA) this year? Did they drop out?

Oh, and by the way, beating Union 30-0 or 82-7 means absolutely NOTHING as far as the I-AA poll is concerned.

PMB4Life
September 11th, 2005, 02:30 AM

Well, at least you get UNI at the Dome this year... :D

youwouldno
September 11th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Some teams will be ranked high because others were upset... but that doesn't mean they got better or were better to begin with. Lots of games left.

blur2005
September 11th, 2005, 03:47 AM
I predict that NDSU will defeat the Salukis. I also think they will be a force in general this season.

ChickenMan
September 11th, 2005, 06:10 AM
SIU may have a pretty good team... but pounding the drums for the 2-0 Salukis... a team whose last playoff win was in 1983... :eek:... is a little premature... ;)

ISUMatt
September 11th, 2005, 08:32 AM
The way my poll is laid out, WKU will be voted #1 this week
SIU jumped from 11 to 6 in my poll this week

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Salukis are top 5 at #5 in my poll...

Not #1...

blackfordpu
September 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM
With all of the upsets and I-A games I am going to have to look at this closely. I'm talking print-outs, protracter, level, etc. :) . This is going to be an interesting poll. I am not sure yet who will be #1 but the top 5 have definetley changed.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
With all of the upsets and I-A games I am going to have to look at this closely. I'm talking print-outs, protracter, level, etc. :) . This is going to be an interesting poll. I am not sure yet who will be #1 but the top 5 have definetley changed.

The supercomputer spent all night analyzing the results from one of the craziest I-AA days I have witnessed (I admit - only 2+ years) and after 11 hours all it spit out was WTF?

igo4uni
September 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM
The supercomputer spent all night analyzing the results from one of the craziest I-AA days I have witnessed (I admit - only 2+ years) and after 11 hours all it spit out was WTF?

LOL, you funny joke man!! :D :D

peace

igo4uni

Tailbone
September 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Yep.
That's why Montana scheduled oregon....afraid to play the Salukis.
That's why Montana State scheduled OK State....afraid to play the Salukis.
That's why ISU scheduled Kentucky....afraid to play the Salukis.
That's why Portland scheduled oregon state & Boise....afraid to play the Salukis.
That's why GaSU schedules Ga....afraid to play the Salukis.
Eastern Washington, they were so intimidated by last years game they want nothing to do with Salukis.
Delaware/Navy. etc.etc.etc.

Get a grip man.
It's all about MONEY. (Has nothing to do with fear)
Ask Deep Throat.

skinny_uncle
September 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
How can you call it running up the score when the second string was on the field before halftime? The leading rusher was a freshman backup running back. Are the scrubs not supposed to make an effort?
:confused:

ISUMatt
September 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Maybe try a real opponent instead of Union!!!

Cocky
September 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
SIU did make my top 10 this week, but they have the same problem we do, 1 and out.

skinny_uncle
September 11th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Maybe try a real opponent instead of Union!!!
We are looking forward to playing you redbird.
:nod:

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM
SIU won't crack my top 5 much less #1. Beat somebody first.

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I doubt that top I-AA teams didn't schedule because they were scared. Top I-AAs play games against other top I-AAs every year. SIU has been very good the past two seasons, but there's no reason people should be any more scared to play them than there is to play some of the other teams that people do play.

I'd love to see SIU beat Western Michigan next week, though.

salukidean
September 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
SIU won't crack my top 5 much less #1. Beat somebody first.

If somebody would play us, we'd gladly beat them. We wanted to be the first to take down James Madison but instead they let someone else do it this past weekend....

"We called James Madison, who was one of the best teams in the country and won the (2004) national championship, and we couldn't get those guys to play us," Kill continued.

The only reason we played Union this week because it sures beat the option of playing only 10 games.....

"We couldn't get anybody on our schedule. I think it was in May and we still had three games to fill," said SIU's head coach. "We're fortunate that they (Union) had a game, or we'd be sitting here with 10 games. That's not what you want to do."

If anyone wants to disrespect the Salukis because of our schedule than do something about it....give us a matchup on the field so we aren't stuck playing an NAIA team.

Is our team up to the challenge of a D-I school next week (WMU)? I certainly hope so....but I know it will be a challenge. The Broncos are much better than SEMO and probably 10x as good as Union. Our preference would have been to face a stronger test before our annual game against a D-I school...but I think we'll be ready nonetheless.

Go Dawgs!

http://southernillinoisan.com/articles/2005/09/09/sports/106939.txt

Pantherpower
September 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Utter lack of class displayed by the Salukis coaching staff and administration on a couple of levels: 1)Scheduling an NAIA is absolutely pathetic (unless you're Indiana State apparantly :rolleyes: ) 2) What comes around, goes around with that inflated score. You've proven nothing other than you will be ill prepared for Gateway Conference Football.

galojay
September 11th, 2005, 01:00 PM
The way my poll is laid out, WKU will be voted #1 this week
SIU jumped from 11 to 6 in my poll this week

WKU may be a #1 team at season's end, but right now they are not a #1 team. We got some things we need to work on, we were exposed last night and won by the grace of the football god's!

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 01:03 PM
If somebody would play us, we'd gladly beat them. We wanted to be the first to take down James Madison but instead they let someone else do it this past weekend....
]

Ok. Exactly what has SIU done against playoff caliber, non conference I-AA opponents over the past few years that makes you think other top I-AAs should be any more afraid to play the Salukis than they would be to play, say, Delaware (as Lehigh did yesterday) or Georgia Southern (as Northeastern and McNeese did)? I mean, in their two games over the past two years against top non conference I-AAs the Salukis got pistol whipped by Delaware and lost to Eastern Washington at home.

Don't get me wrong...I'm sure everybody recognizes that SIU has had very good teams recently and playing them would look to be playing a very tough I-AA opponent...but other top I-AAs aren't avoiding SIU out of fear.

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Utter lack of class displayed by the Salukis coaching staff and administration on a couple of levels: 1)Scheduling an NAIA is absolutely pathetic (unless you're Indiana State apparantly :rolleyes: ) 2) What comes around, goes around with that inflated score. You've proven nothing other than you will be ill prepared for Gateway Conference Football.

I'm not going to criticize them for scheduling an NAIA because McNeese did that rather than take a $90,000 offer to play at I-A Louisiana Lafayette this year. I think the reasons were 1) McNeese can make more money playing a home game and 2) it would've been the third consecutive road game with the first two being at Georgia Southern and at Southern Mississippi.

Given all that, a home game in that spot made sense and NAIA school was all that was available for a home game.

But that's the thing, it's usually for reasons other than being scared of a particular team. Louisiana-Lafayette fans opined that McNeese was afraid to play the Cajuns, for instance, but that seems pretty unlikely given that McNeese was willing to play Georgia Southern and Southern Mississippi (both of whom would wipe the field with ULL).

TigerFan17
September 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM

The only reason we played Union this week because it sures beat the option of playing only 10 games.....

If anyone wants to disrespect the Salukis because of our schedule than do something about it....give us a matchup on the field so we aren't stuck playing an NAIA team.

Is our team up to the challenge of a D-I school next week (WMU)? I certainly hope so....but I know it will be a challenge. The Broncos are much better than SEMO and probably 10x as good as Union. Our preference would have been to face a stronger test before our annual game against a D-I school...but I think we'll be ready nonetheless.

Go Dawgs!

http://southernillinoisan.com/articles/2005/09/09/sports/106939.txt

Just a reminder, before Ralph cuts your head off, you're not using the term D-I right. D-IAA and D-IA are both D-I, they're subclassifications. Saying you schedule a D-I team is well...obvious. Everyone here plays 9 or more D-I schools every year.

salukidean
September 11th, 2005, 01:27 PM

What were we supposed to do....play only 10 games while everyone else gets to schedule 11? It wasn't our desire to play an NAIA team....but it was the only option our team had to fill the slate.

As for running up the score, we played third and fourth string players most of the game. We only threw one pass in the entire fourth quarter. We didn't seek to run up the score...but you can't put in the guys who rarely get to play and ask them to take a knee in the third quarter.

It was an opportunity for them to show their skills and present the future of Saluki football to our fans. Although the opponent was definitely not the caliber we desire to face, I'm excited about the what lays ahead 2-3 years down the road after seeing some of our younger plays display their skills in yesterdays game.

siugrad99
September 11th, 2005, 01:32 PM
First off SalukiDean please keep your excitement to a dull roar, beating a HS team like we did proves nothing. Are we a solid team... Yes, but we have to prove it on a higher level to get respect. As for Pantherpower always running his mouth about SIU, we took our starters out midway through the 2nd quarter ? we only threw 14 passes all night so please don't blame us for not taking a knee all 2nd half. I guess UNI always plays the cream of the crop so my hats off to them. SIU attempted to schedule a better team, but was unable to do so. Regardless of the wants of our AD, other schools decided not to come for a 1 game at Carbondale, can I blame them No, but that is why we were left with a NAIA team. I am a diehard SIU fan, but I hope to god that we don't get these over eager newbies that stir the pot about SIU. We haven't proven a damn thing in 2 seasons when it counted so until we 1. put ourselves into a position to make the playoffs and 2. actually win a playoff game I think Saluki fans should lay low. So SalukiDean please pipe down a bit and don't start running your mouth about SIU as noone needs to come and defend SIU fans because others can't seem to keep things in perspective.

Clem

Pantherpower
September 11th, 2005, 01:34 PM
A better way to express my post would be to say your adminstration did a poor job of advance scheduling, pure and simple. You should not have 3 games yet to be filled a few short months prior to your fall kickoff. That is pathetic and is nothing more than a lack of long range planning. There may be other circumstances at play here, but an NAIA opponent is unacceptable, period.

Bisonforlife
September 11th, 2005, 01:47 PM
First off SalukiDean please keep your excitement to a dull roar, beating a HS team like we did proves nothing. Are we a solid team... Yes, but we have to prove it on a higher level to get respect. As for Pantherpower always running his mouth about SIU, we took our starters out midway through the 2nd quarter ? we only threw 14 passes all night so please don't blame us for not taking a knee all 2nd half. I guess UNI always plays the cream of the crop so my hats off to them. SIU attempted to schedule a better team, but was unable to do so. Regardless of the wants of our AD, other schools decided not to come for a 1 game at Carbondale, can I blame them No, but that is why we were left with a NAIA team. I am a diehard SIU fan, but I hope to god that we don't get these over eager newbies that stir the pot about SIU. We haven't proven a damn thing in 2 seasons when it counted so until we 1. put ourselves into a position to make the playoffs and 2. actually win a playoff game I think Saluki fans should lay low. So SalukiDean please pipe down a bit and don't start running your mouth about SIU as noone needs to come and defend SIU fans because others can't seem to keep things in perspective.

Clem
Well Put :)

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2005, 01:47 PM
No badmouthing NAIAs...

Despite some blowouts in favor of I-AA teams, we must remember I-AA member Indiana St got blown out by an NAIA...

siugrad99
September 11th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Poor planning maybe or in defense of SIU, we were pathetic 3 years ago and now that we have turned the corner so to speak with the program I think they were caught a bit off guard and now are paying for it schedule wise. Hopefully they learn from this situation as I agree that our schedule last season did not prepare us for EWU and cost us in the playoffs along with some poor play calling in the 3rd quarter up 10 points :)

skinny_uncle
September 11th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Scheduling is difficult these days with increased transportation expenses. Most schools look for teams to play in their region of the country. The Dawgs don't have too many local non-conference teams other than the OVC to play. Playing a lower division team is sometimes the only way to fill out the schedule. It also gives the younger players a chance to show what they have.
Enough about last week. On to next week. I love this quote from Coach Kill.
"But all I care about is getting ready for Western Michigan. They are paying us $140,000 to go down there, and that means they are paying for a victory, and we are going to work hard to try and not let that happen."
My kind of guy.
:beerchug:

Saluki_man
September 11th, 2005, 11:28 PM
We need to schedule better, I was one of the ones that didn't like our schedule at the beginning of the year. The AD (don't ask me to spell his name because I can't) needs to improve the schedule and get rid of the non DI opponents. I like the matchup the last week of the season with NDSU and that will be a playoff game (looser probably either last one in or one of the last ones out). I would of loved to see a Maine, JMU, or even a Colgate just something to get rid of the non DIs please.

Chi Panther
September 12th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Going forward, I can only think of two teams who would be scared to schedule SIU and that would be Northern Illions and Illinois.

Other than that....buckle up your seat belts for your last 4 weeks of the season.....SIU WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN ONE OF THOSE GAMES.......

10/29 at W Kentucky 6:00 PM
11/05 YSU 4:00 PM
11/12 at N Iowa 6:05 PM
11/19 ND State 4:00 PM

Put this post on your refriderator for later reflection......

siugrad99
September 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM
LOL alrighty you do that. You keep thinking that and we'll chat when we go 3-1 ( loss @ UNI or WKU ) worse case we go 2-2, but not 0-4. As usual a UNI fan giving no respect to the salukis. Read above as I give your team the utmost respect, maybe one day you'll begin to be realistic about things instead of use your love for UNI and bias for SIU when opening your mouth.

PAmedic
September 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM
We need to schedule better, I was one of the ones that didn't like our schedule at the beginning of the year. The AD (don't ask me to spell his name because I can't) needs to improve the schedule and get rid of the non DI opponents. I like the matchup the last week of the season with NDSU and that will be a playoff game (looser probably either last one in or one of the last ones out). I would of loved to see a Maine, JMU, or even a Colgate just something to get rid of the non DIs please.

Hey, call Jerry down at Liberty: we go anywhere! we need the experience and would probably rather play you guys than D2 Concord. (who nearly beat us!)

According to yahoo maps- we're only 711 miles and 11 hrs apart. We've traveled that far before (nearly as far last weekend)

siugrad99
September 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Not a bad idea :)

HasBeenCat71
September 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't it be great if we knew who was making all of these statements. A coach would know not to make bold and stupid statements that would come back to haunt them, or motivate their opponents.
We all need to remember that most of these comments are made by the same guy that stands up in the crowd and looks like an idiot thinking he knows more than the coach on the field.

Chi Panther
September 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM
LOL alrighty you do that. You keep thinking that and we'll chat when we go 3-1 ( loss @ UNI or WKU ) worse case we go 2-2, but not 0-4. As usual a UNI fan giving no respect to the salukis. Read above as I give your team the utmost respect, maybe one day you'll begin to be realistic about things instead of use your love for UNI and bias for SIU when opening your mouth.

I respect your posts and would love to see SIU #1......but your buddy has the carriage way out in front of the horses.

Reed Rothchild
September 12th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Please win a playoff game before making this statement. You are dominating the Gateway, but not the country.

Killtoppers90
September 12th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Last time I checked, No one has won a game in the GATE yet. :D

Saluki_man
September 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Going forward, I can only think of two teams who would be scared to schedule SIU and that would be Northern Illions and Illinois.

Other than that....buckle up your seat belts for your last 4 weeks of the season.....SIU WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN ONE OF THOSE GAMES.......

10/29 at W Kentucky 6:00 PM
11/05 YSU 4:00 PM
11/12 at N Iowa 6:05 PM
11/19 ND State 4:00 PM

Put this post on your refriderator for later reflection......

I expect no worse than a split in those four, with the two losses away from home. Yes it is a tough closing stretch, but this will prepare us for the playoffs.

SFCWallace
September 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Actually we do play SEMO every year, and had a yearly game against Murray. While Murray (along with the rest of 1-AA) was pounding on us, they loved the annual game. However, once SIU put together a team, other schools quit inviting us to thier homecoming games, and Murray developed "scheduling conflicts" that's where the DII games started to appear.

siugrad99
September 12th, 2005, 12:51 PM
That is why my original post basically called SalukiDean out on the carpet for running his mouth with no knowledge of the history or SIU's past (20 pathetic seasons since the 1983 National Championship). SIU will be a 3 loss team if we can't take out WMU this weekend. We have a brutal schedule minus the D2 team so hopefully while it still could be a tad bit tougher (replace Union) we will be better prepared for the playoffs if we are lucky enough to be one of the 16.

89Hen
September 12th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Please win a playoff game before making this statement. You are dominating the Gateway, but not the country.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Reed Rothchild
September 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Careful, they have a champ ring you know...

Thank you sir may I have another!!!!! :spank:

henfan
September 12th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I'm the one who had NDSU at #1 this week. I couldn't objectively find another team more deserving after 2 games.

Don't get too excited or upset by rankings this early in the season. Things will change dramatically over the next month of the season.

Killsback
September 12th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Show me UNI's Championship ring!!!! I'll show you ours. 1983

DuckDuckGriz
September 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM
So....
Is this the newest of the annual batch of Saluki fans chanting #1 who hide after their team goes down early in the playoffs? ;)

siugrad99
September 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Please, quit with the crap ripping SIU for being voted # 1. Did they ask for it ? NO, if your team was voted # 1 would you be upset ? Probably not, it can only do good things from an PR standpoint for your program & maybe help with recruiting, but in terms of how it should affect the team.. well it shouldn't change the way they prepare week in and week out. Obviously we have a rivalry with UNI and that shows by the response of UNI fans to any success by the Salukis. We also have overzealous newbies claiming to be SIU fans that unfortunately give the true and realistic fans a bad name & which is why you see me frequently trying to save face for us. It's a long season and I can say that even in defeat I never left my Salukis hanging after laying an egg vs. EWU. To all who visit, be proud of your team, alma mater, university, college whatever, but DON'T come in here running your mouth looking to start arguments or babbling with no basis or facts to back up your talk. I enjoy the fans that can present a realistic view of 1AA football and those who present a honest and unbias analysis of their team get my respect 100% the time even if I don't agree.

Long season boys lets enjoy and try to get along better then we did last !

89Hen
September 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Please, quit with the crap ripping SIU for being voted # 1. Did they ask for it ? NO
Not ripping the players, just the fans....

The post that started this thread by a Saluki fan....

"no one seems to be talking about the team destined to take over the #1 spot when this weeks poll comes out.... Southern Illinois"

siugrad99
September 12th, 2005, 03:30 PM
that wasn't a fan that was a "fanatic" normally someone who knows little about the team, but likes to run his mouth :)