PDA

View Full Version : Am I in Bizzaro-world?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Coastal over JMU
Western Carolina over Furman
NDSU over N'Western St.
McNeese St. over Georgia Southern
Colgate over UMass
UT-Chattanooga over Jax St.

Lehigh & EKU nearly made it 7 upsets!

Plus Montana lost to Oregon, SHS lost to Houston, and App St. lost to Kansas! Include Lehigh, and that's 10 of the top 25 losing! And only 22 were playing!

umassfan
September 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Coastal over JMU
NDSU over N'Western St.
Colgate over UMass

Lehigh & EKU nearly made it 7 upsets!

Plus Montana lost to Oregon, SHS lost to Houston, and App St. lost to Kansas! Include Lehigh, and that's 10 of the top 25 losing! And only 22 were playing!
Is it a full moon :confused: We outgained colgate by 300 yards held them to 167 yards(29 from their punter) but had 8 turnovers to loose... I dont know the story for the other top teams but would like to hear.

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Anyone can win on any given Saturday. That is what makes it interesting.

xprost2x

Hansel
September 10th, 2005, 10:51 PM
what a day... what a day, Nicholls St almost upset Indiana as well (lead until the final minute)

GaSouthern
September 10th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Why its called any given saturday

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Coastal over JMU
NDSU over N'Western St.
Colgate over UMass

Coastal Carolina appears to have played well. Outgained JMU 415 to 361 in total yards and won in spite of a 0 - 2 disadvantage in giveaway/takeaway.

Western Carolina/Furman appears to have been pretty even except Furman had 6 turnovers to Western's 2...including 5 interceptions.

Turnovers also appear to have been significant in SDSU at Northwestern State, as the Demons turned it over 5 times to SDSU's 1. SDSU also had a 63 yard TD punt return.

McNeese/Georgia Southern appears to have been pretty evenly played, but GSU did have 2 turnovers to McNeese's 1 and had a late go ahead TD called back on a holding penalty.

UMass outgained Colgate 451 to 195 in total yards but had a whopping 8 turnovers to Colgate's 2. Both of Colgate's TDs were scored by the Raider defense (fumble return and intereception return).

The stats make it look like Chattanooga/Jacksonville State was an evenly played game and Chattanooga just came out on top in the end.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Coastal Carolina appears to have played well. Outgained JMU 415 to 361 in total yards and won in spite of a 0 - 2 disadvantage in giveaway/takeaway.

That is the weird thing - our offense was still a bit shakey. You wouldn't expect to be 0-2 in turnovers and still win. Our offense needs to tighten up a bit if we are to have a chance at App.

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 12:42 AM
That is the weird thing - our offense was still a bit shakey. You wouldn't expect to be 0-2 in turnovers and still win. Our offense needs to tighten up a bit if we are to have a chance at App.

Dude, your offense got over 400 yards against an A-10 team. It couldn't have been THAT bad.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Dude, your offense got over 400 yards against an A-10 team. It couldn't have been THAT bad.

No, but it could have been better.

bisonguy
September 11th, 2005, 12:51 AM

Western Carolina/Furman appears to have been pretty even except Furman had 6 turnovers to Western's 2...including 5 interceptions.

Turnovers also appear to have been significant in SDSUNDSU at Northwestern State, as the Demons turned it over 5 times to SDSUNDSU's 1. SDSUNDSU also had a 63 yard TD punt return.

McNeese/Georgia Southern appears to have been pretty evenly played, but GSU did have 2 turnovers to McNeese's 1 and had a late go ahead TD called back on a holding penalty.

UMass outgained Colgate 451 to 195 in total yards but had a whopping 8 turnovers to Colgate's 2. Both of Colgate's TDs were scored by the Raider defense (fumble return and intereception return).

The stats make it look like Chattanooga/Jacksonville State was an evenly played game and Chattanooga just came out on top in the end.

Sacrilege!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(Correct text in bold, text to be replaced underlined)

JMU1992
September 11th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Wow!

JMU1992
September 11th, 2005, 01:42 AM
I have three questions.

What the hell happened to Furman?

What the hell happend to JMU?

What the hell happened to Jax St.?

I guess Delaware was the only school to win. damn that
lehigh.

I can't beleive McNeese St.

I-AA is wide open again!

TxSt02
September 11th, 2005, 01:48 AM
I-AA is wide open again!

and Texas State will be undefeated after next weekend too...

PMB4Life
September 11th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Jeez. I'm starting to believe in the Coastal Carolina hype. I hope I'm just mentally disturbed... :D

youwouldno
September 11th, 2005, 02:44 AM
I have three questions.

I guess Delaware was the only school to win. damn that
lehigh.

I-AA is wide open again!

I watched the Furman game on TV (I'm a Paladin fan). Honestly, what is there to say. The score is a little deceptive in that we closed to 27-21 in the 4th quarter, so it wasn't really a blowout, but we got beat good. Martin threw 5 picks... I really don't know what you can say. They were bad throws, WCU made plays. Do I think WCU is going to be a playoff team? Not really. Was it a huge win for them? Sure was.

Now, there is one point I would make. I have more sympathy, at least in terms of the polls, for teams that lost on the road (JMU, FU, UM to a I-A team). GSU and NW St. lost at home-- and NW St. lost badly. A good team can just have a bad day on the road, though you can only be so good with the performances Furman and JMU turned in. Losing at home is worse IMO.

Ultimately, the playoffs are determined by performance over the course of the year. CCU outplayed JMU, WCU outplayed FU, McNeese outplayed GSU, etc... on that given Saturday. A lot of season is left. It does tell us their is parity, but just as in the NFL, the better teams will wind up with more wins at the end.

umassfan
September 11th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I watched the Furman game on TV (I'm a Paladin fan). Honestly, what is there to say. The score is a little deceptive in that we closed to 27-21 in the 4th quarter, so it wasn't really a blowout, but we got beat good. Martin threw 5 picks... I really don't know what you can say. They were bad throws, WCU made plays. Do I think WCU is going to be a playoff team? Not really. Was it a huge win for them? Sure was.

Now, there is one point I would make. I have more sympathy, at least in terms of the polls, for teams that lost on the road (JMU, FU, UM to a I-A team). GSU and NW St. lost at home-- and NW St. lost badly. A good team can just have a bad day on the road, though you can only be so good with the performances Furman and JMU turned in. Losing at home is worse IMO.

Ultimately, the playoffs are determined by performance over the course of the year. CCU outplayed JMU, WCU outplayed FU, McNeese outplayed GSU, etc... on that given Saturday. A lot of season is left. It does tell us their is parity, but just as in the NFL, the better teams will wind up with more wins at the end.
Hmm Looks like Furman and UMass ate the same kind of breakfast... both having killer turnover days... just proves when you turn over the ball anything can happen.

RadMann
September 11th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Umassfan: True, but turnovers are often as much a credit to the team that forced the turnover as they are a blatant error on the team committing them. Intense play and good defense can cause a lot of turnovers too. I'm not sure about UMass' turnovers against Colgate specifically since I did not watch that game.

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Umassfan: True, but turnovers are often as much a credit to the team that forced the turnover as they are a blatant error on the team committing them. Intense play and good defense can cause a lot of turnovers too. I'm not sure about UMass' turnovers against Colgate specifically since I did not watch that game.

Yep. The team that wins always looks at it as forcing turnovers and the team that loses looks at it as beating themselves. I do think there's a difference in losing while piling up a lot more yards than your opponent but having a bunch of turnovers and losing because your opponent just physically controls you. When you lose while having a bunch of turnovers but you otherwise played well you know that if you correct the turnover problem you can do much better.

I also think turnovers are avoidable. I think a team can increase the odds of getting them but I also think that it's almost always possible to avoid any given turnover by maintaining focus and avoiding mental mistakes.

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Turnovers also appear to have been significant in SDSU at Northwestern State, as the Demons turned it over 5 times to SDSU's 1. SDSU also had a 63 yard TD punt return.

John it's NDSU, SDSU played Valpo.

The difference was the passing in this game.

Walker NDSU 12-18 1-Int 210 yds
Vinson NSU 5-19 3-Int 48 yds

4 of the 5 turnovers were Int's, which IMO is the defense either hurrying the QB or good coverage by the DB's.

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM
4 of the 5 turnovers were Int's, which IMO is the defense either hurrying the QB or good coverage by the DB's.

In general, I think the defense can increase the odds of getting interceptions but it still requires that somebody on offense make a mistake and/or mental error. For instance, if you pressure the QB he still makes a decision. He can either eat the ball or throw it away. If you've got good coverage he shouldn't be throwing into it.

I think that just about anytime there's a turnover one can point to something somebody on offense could've done to prevent it. The extent to which it's an offensive player's "fault" varies. Like if the QB gets blindsided and fumbles or a running back sees contact coming and wraps up but somebody puts their helmet right on the ball that's understandable and there's relatively little "fault" on the part of the offensive player. But you can still usually say the player could've paid more attention to ball security.

Don't get me wrong. Some defenses get a lot of turnovers and there's a reason for it. I think it's true that the defense can do a lot of things to increase the odds of getting a turnover on each given play.

But I still think some of it is almost always on the offense when it happens.

Speaking of this...I know it's not I-AA but have you ever seen anything as stupid as what Marshall did yesterday at the end?

JaxSinfonian
September 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Nothing really. It's mainly the same weakness they've had the last two years: pass defense. I watched Chattanooga WR Emmanuel Hassel get the ball all night long. Why nobody in red was watching him, I can't explain. Seems like they could have done something about that, maybe after the five receptions in the first half. Instead he remained open all night long. Finished with 12 catches for 141 yards.

Last year our offense punished bad teams and had to fight against decent teams. Chattanooga is now a good team. Looks like they went out and bought a defense over the winter. I'd like to know where they do their shopping.

blackfordpu
September 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM
and Texas State will be undefeated after next weekend too...

Play a team that is actually good and then we will see what your record looks like.

JaxSinfonian
September 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah, nearly forgot. Here's an interesting stat from the JSU-Chattanooga game:
UTC JSU
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 2-15 7-70

I don't want to take anything away from Chattanooga, because they earned this win, but they got some help from JSU, and from the refs.

OL FU
September 11th, 2005, 11:18 AM

YouWouldKnow,

Generally I agree with your analysis of the teams and the games and usually would defer to your analysis instead of mine. This time I have to disagree. The only reason it wasn't worse is that we had about 8 minutes of absolutely great football in the fourth quarter which let us close the gap to 6 from a 23 -0 deficit. You take those 8 minutes away and we looked bad or were "made" to look bad. The defense did some good things. After giving up a couple of scores early they tightened up for the second quarter. Offense looked amazing during that 8 minute period of time. But outside of that, we got blown out.

I hope you are right and not me, but I think I am. I also hope that 8 minutes was the real Furman team and they decide to show for a little longer the next game.

GO FU.

txstatebobcat
September 11th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Play a team that is actually good and then we will see what your record looks like.

How is Open Date U. as an opponent? :)

GrizzlyEdd
September 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
It became very clear early on that the Griz have a very large way to go on Offense. Course, Oregon has a very fast/active defense. Definitely going to give everyone in the PAC-10 (except USC) problems (they should be a solid #2). The Griz definitely have a QB problem. Tis time to give a Freshman QB the reins and plan for next year.

The Griz defense is going to be one of the best in I-AA. The number of points Oregon scored doesn't tell the whole story. The Oregon TD's came on a kickoff return, a bomb to an All-American in I-A and late in the game when the Griz D was totally pooped...

Offense sucked... some coaching decisions are suspect... The Defense did a great job... The D stopped Oregon in the red zone several times that lead to "6" Field Goals instead of TD's... Oregon could not run on the Griz D...

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2005, 01:26 PM
In general, I think the defense can increase the odds of getting interceptions but it still requires that somebody on offense make a mistake and/or mental error. For instance, if you pressure the QB he still makes a decision. He can either eat the ball or throw it away. If you've got good coverage he shouldn't be throwing into it.

I think that just about anytime there's a turnover one can point to something somebody on offense could've done to prevent it. The extent to which it's an offensive player's "fault" varies. Like if the QB gets blindsided and fumbles or a running back sees contact coming and wraps up but somebody puts their helmet right on the ball that's understandable and there's relatively little "fault" on the part of the offensive player. But you can still usually say the player could've paid more attention to ball security.

Don't get me wrong. Some defenses get a lot of turnovers and there's a reason for it. I think it's true that the defense can do a lot of things to increase the odds of getting a turnover on each given play.

But I still think some of it is almost always on the offense when it happens.

Speaking of this...I know it's not I-AA but have you ever seen anything as stupid as what Marshall did yesterday at the end?

The offense didn't block Joe Mays of NDSU, 2 Int's and a sack.

TJ Rubley with the Green Bay Packers was the stupidest, although the Marshall play was right up there.

Lapper
September 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
hmmmmm.... voodoo DOES work. :nod:

http://www.infernalbbq.com/images/voodoo.jpg

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2005, 09:19 PM
hmmmmm.... voodoo DOES work. :nod:

Based on the numbers in those bones, I'd say that's the HOODOO at work ;) :nod:

colgate13
September 11th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Having been there, I'd say it was about half and half. 4 or so of the 8 UMass turnovers were because of real good defense, 4 were UMass beating themselves. That's pure recollection, not watching the replay.

A lot of 'gate defensive players were flying to the ball and making things happen. There was definitely one tip for an INT, maybe two. Both TDs were great plays and returns. You can't take those away from 'gate as UMass errors.

Scary thing is that there were at least 3 if not more legit chances are more picks for Colgate.

I hope our D can keep up that intensity.

ngineer
September 11th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I have three questions.

I guess Delaware was the only school to win. lehigh.damn that

I-AA is wide open again!

Sorry :( It appears we have a 'one-point phobia' with the A-10 and recurring 'goal line stand nightmares.' ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2005, 11:43 PM

Save me this graphic when Lehigh playes Colgate in October, OK?