PDA

View Full Version : Here's a real concern with FCS selection process

WVAPPmountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
If something isn't done to correct the criteria used to select we will never see a true growth in exposure with our beloved division and here's why --- The lack on interregional high quality games - Look at the pathetic non-conference games most of the top teams from top conferences have played over the last couple of years - The current criteria doesn't look to reward teams who try to play a tough schedule (throw out the FBS games as most other than APP, UNI, UNH, UMass, SIU and a few others are only doing it for the money) - I may have missed a couple but here is what we had this season - First, a big ballsy salute to NAZ for coming to Boone, SoILL-Hampton, Hofstra-Furman and the Patriot teams not afraid to schedule the CAA and all of the Big South as they will play anyone. Maine has scheduled tough games over the years and JMU-APP games in 06 and 08. I'm not chastising the top teams that don't because "Why take the gamble?" - "Schedule D-1 teams you know you can beat because the conference games are tough enough." Therein lies the problem. I know the atmosphere in Boone for the Northern AZ game was like a playoff game. Wouldn't it be great to see UMass-Montana, McNeese-UNI, GSU-UNH, Lehigh-Youngstown, Hampton-NDState, EKY-Montana St??? - And have these games on some form of national TV??? --- I would like to hear all thoughts on this ---

GannonFan
November 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
What happens at the FCS level isn't vastly different than what happens at the FBS level - you don't see tons of interregional OOC games being played. There are a handful, just like there are a handful at this level, but it's not the norm. And FBS plays one more game than FCS does. Everyone has at least one patsy on the schedule, and it doesn't help anyone's playoff chances to play too many great OOC teams. Also to take into account, FCS doesn't make a lot of money - it would lose more money than it does now if you had some of the matchups like you suggest - most schools lose money as it is and can't afford long plane trips and hotel stays. Heck, even mighty Montana, which to their credit has played Hofstra and Maine and the like, suffered money-woes in part to those long trips.

As for national TV, hey, you need to have an audience first before you get those perks. Except for us diehards, there isn't a real clammoring out in the sports world to see Eastern Kentucky play Montana St (no offense to those schools). Who's going to pick up that game and show it to a true national audience (and not just ESPNU or 360 - those have very limited reach).

bamamountaineer1013
November 19th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Well the reason you don't see many of these games is the same reason you don't see them at the FBS level. The teams don't want to get beat. Look at our schedule the past two years. We played one upper level FCS team OOC (JMU in 06, NAU in 07) . Granted we won both of those games, but say we didn't and say that we had to bounce back against Montana, McNeese, UNI or Umass, that would be two losses, plus two conference losses and we are 7-4, out of the playoffs and at home on the couch, not 9-2.

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
What happens at the FCS level isn't vastly different than what happens at the FBS level - you don't see tons of interregional OOC games being played. There are a handful, just like there are a handful at this level, but it's not the norm. And FBS plays one more game than FCS does. Everyone has at least one patsy on the schedule, and it doesn't help anyone's playoff chances to play too many great OOC teams. Also to take into account, FCS doesn't make a lot of money - it would lose more money than it does now if you had some of the matchups like you suggest - most schools lose money as it is and can't afford long plane trips and hotel stays. Heck, even mighty Montana, which to their credit has played Hofstra and Maine and the like, suffered money-woes in part to those long trips.

As for national TV, hey, you need to have an audience first before you get those perks. Except for us diehards, there isn't a real clammoring out in the sports world to see Eastern Kentucky play Montana St (no offense to those schools). Who's going to pick up that game and show it to a true national audience (and not just ESPNU or 360 - those have very limited reach).

one example is albany I think. They change one or two of those games and win, they could be a playoff team right now. If they finish 10-1 or 9-2 they could be in the playoffs instead of a UNH right now, but at 8-3 and UNH at 7-4 they got the nod.

OL FU
November 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Kudos to Delaware/Colgate/ Furman for some of next year's OOC matchupsxthumbsupx

WVAPPmountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM
What happens at the FCS level isn't vastly different than what happens at the FBS level - you don't see tons of interregional OOC games being played.

Somewhat agree - the top tier teams in FBS can possibly reach their goal with one L - no way with 2 - we have UNH was a decent shot at our championship with 4 ---

Your points are well-taken but nothing is going to change if we all keep thinking in the "same old way" - I do believe if you put a Delaware-Montana game or an APP-UNI game on people will watch - They watch those MAC games on ESPN and most of those teams couldn't even finish in the top half of our strong conferences ---

WVAPPmountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Following is a portion of a post from a fellow ASU fan on the MMB --- Think about what he says - I would like to hear thoughts from other FCS programs --- GUYS WE HAVE A REAL PROBLEM HERE AND DOES ANYONE CARE??? ---

Substitute VMI for Michigan as our opening game. We beat 'em just like we beat Michigan.
I'd bet we go into the FCS playoffs in EXACTLY the same position we are in now. JMU at home. No seed.
Does that mean we should not have played Michigan? Frankly, if the goal is winning the FCS title the answer is probably yes.