PDA

View Full Version : Best 1st round game

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 10:17 AM
excluding your 'home' team's game.. if you could see just one of the 1st round games.. which one would you perfer to watch/attend???

blukeys
November 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
JMU @ ASU is my pick.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM
JMU @ ASU is my pick.

Mine too! SoCon vs. CAA grudge match!

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Wofford @ Montana

PurpleandGold
November 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I went Wofford @ Montana, but I think we may be surprised by UNH @ UNI. Not that I think UNH will win, but I think they'll give UNI more of a game than most expect from a 7-4.

ASUPATCH
November 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Wofford @ Montana would be my first pick followed closely by UNH @ UNI.

Petrie Dish
November 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I went Wofford @ Montana, but I think we may be surprised by UNH @ UNI. Not that I think UNH will win, but I think they'll give UNI more of a game than most expect from a 7-4.

I agree with the thoughts on UNH-UNI, but followed the rules and voted for Wofford @ Montana. That should be a good one.

bamamountaineer1013
November 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I went with Delaware State @ Delaware, for this reason. Two teams never played before, same state, big rivalry, should be a great one.

th0m
November 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I voted first and then read the "besides your home team.."

Well anyway, of the other matchups I'd pick Wofford @ Montana.

putter
November 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I went with JMU/ASU. That should be a good one. I will be in Missoula for the Griz. I just hope I can get there, Missoula is getting pounded with snow.....

lizrdgizrd
November 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I went with Wofford / Montana but I think EWU / McNeese St. could be a good one too.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM
JMU/ASU

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I did the same thing too! Oops. I'll be interested to see Delaware/Delaware St.

McNeese_beat
November 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I picked JMU at ASU, a matchup of the last three national champions.

I'm tempted to say McNeese-EWU, but I refrained from homering...

appstate38
November 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Same here... So I will go withe the Griz and the Terriers as well. Truth be told I would like to watch all of them. Nice change of pace to see other teams and fans that you wouldn't normally get to see.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
EWU and McNeese I think that's going to be a great game...I also like both teams because they always give Montana great games but I think I'm going to have to be a homer and root for EWU on this one

tdoggs22
November 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
i would say the Montana/ Wofford game which is flying under the radar. Montana has a comparable FCS/1-AA tradition to say USC or Ohio State in the FBS/1-A and is facing Wofford, who is entering only their second post season. Call it what you will, a Terrier win is the most unlikely outcome of the 1st round. Some say otherwise, but when you simplify this match-up, Wofford will have to play lights out to win. By my standards, Wofford has the most to gain while Montana has the most to lose. Two opposite-end teams battling in the snow in hopes of National Title! Awesome!

proasu89
November 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
The Dog and Bear show.

BlueHen86
November 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I went with Wofford @ Montana. Two strong teams, both are quite capable of winning the NC.

UMass922
November 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Wofford @ Montana

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
DU/DSU - been waiting a long time for this one (and I couldn't vote for the Griz/Terrier matchup, which I'm excited about!)

JMU/ASU would be my next pick - two schools with tradition and recent success at Kidd Brewer - what's not to like?

HiHiYikas
November 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'm intrigued by McNeese-EWU and Wofford-Montana. A couple of games featuring undefeateds who (whether rightly or not) are a little questionable in the eyes of some fans.

That's the great thing about playoffs. They're a kind of equalizer, exposing the overrated teams, bringing the underrated ones to the fore. It's exciting.

People will always find some way to question the schedule quality of an undefeated (or nearly undefeated) playoff team. It happens every year. It happened last year, when a handful of folks figured an ASU team that went 9-0 against FCS opponents only did so because they played a pushover schedule.

One poster said something like "App is fat and sassy and primed for an upset," just before the Mountaineers hung 49 points on YSU in the semi's.

The beauty is, the honest-to-goodness "fat and sassy" teams usually lose, and the solid teams win.

And the process shuts a lot of people up.

woffordgrad94
November 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Delaware vs. Delaware State... The Hornets have wanted this for a long time. Now can they go out and silence their doubters with a victory? The intensity a effort should be tremendous in this one. I'm going to watch some of it Friday afternoon on TV.

lizrdgizrd
November 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM
DU/DSU - been waiting a long time for this one
How long have you been waiting for this game? Since ESPN mentioned it? xeyebrowx

SU Jag
November 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
UD vs DSUxnodx

Peems
November 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I went for EWU/McNeese. Two teams I like, and would like to see how EWU matches up with McNeese. I personally think EWU could win, but McNeese is something special and I would just hope that the Eagles can represent the Big Sky well.

griz&beer
November 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
EWU vs MSU The cowboys better bring it or it will be anouther early out.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I chose EWU / MSU for the famous three day tailgate!!

yosef1969
November 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
pups and cubs for me.

Although several I really like to be able to sit back and enjoy on Saturday but since UD and DSU got the Friday game guess I'll only get to enjoy two.
UD/DSU
ASU/JMU

Blue Hen Nation
November 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
JMU V. Appy is going to be one hell of a game.

appfan2008
November 19th, 2007, 01:01 PM
unfortunately i voted before i read you cant vote for your teams game but honestly i think jmu asu is gonna be one great game

DOME
November 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Del V Del St. I think both teams will really be worked up about the game. Not only is it the play offs but all of the media attention on this one should make for a heckuva game. Of couse too much media attention could also provide a let down.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Woffy and the Griz. If the Dogs do not put the ball on the carpet and control the clock, this one is going to be a "Dogfight" xnodx

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM
woffie @ montana

UDChE89
November 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I went with Delaware State @ Delaware, for this reason. Two teams never played before, same state, big rivalry, should be a great one.

Big rivalry? Where'd you hear that from? In the mind of a Wilmington (DE) News Journal reporter's wet dream, but that's about it.

My pick... Wofford v. Montana.. wish I could head out there myself but won't even make UD/DSU

placidlakegriz
November 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM

How can it be a big rivalry if they have nevered played??

Saluki_man
November 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Its got to be JMU/ASU. Contrasting styles and probably lots of points.

AAadict
November 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
JMU @ App State. I went to Boone in 2005 (Lafayette) an even though the refs cheated the Leopards that atmosphere in Boone is awesome. JMU is a very good team.

grizdax
November 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I would love to see EWU at McNeese....Bummer no TV coverage.

UNCBears2010
November 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I went with JMU/ASU

woffordgrad94
November 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that the Wofford-Montana game seems to be the one getting the most attention here at AGS, and it leads this poll for best first-round game. Yet it was probably NEVER considered as a TV game by ESPN! xconfusedx .Those guys really are clueless about not only Wofford and what they can do, but also about the FCS in general and what its fans want to see. :( I can't help but wonder if the Wofford-Western Carolina game ESPNU did turned them off from Wofford, since Wofford "ran up the score" in the first half, only to have a last-place team nearly come from way back and beat them in the second half. xreadx They sure did seem reluctant to talk about Wofford, almost as if they didn't think they should even be in the field at all. xmadx

feb18blacksunday
November 19th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Wofford @Montana

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I picked EWU/McNeese. To see if McNeese is as good as advertised, and to see if EWU can hang with them.

blackfordpu
November 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Wofford/Montana

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I chose EWU at MSU.....gonna be high scoring....good food....and most likely warm weather....xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM

I agree. The storylines, the unrequited rivalry, the proximity, .... This should be fun no matter the final outcome.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I also went with Wofford at Montana. You're talking about two champions of two traditionally strong conferences and the power ratings have them close. Sagarin, for instance, makes Montana a 1.78 point favorite (I know, but I thought I'd go ahead and not round it off to 2). The average rankings at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm have Montana at 9 and Wofford at 11.

You can never tell what's going to happen and Montana has blown out a lot of Southern teams when playing in the playoffs at Missoula, but if you're just looking at it it looks like a really interesting matchup with potential to be a very competetive game.

thmst30
November 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Wofford - Montana here as well. Would love to see if the SoCon boys can finally take care of business in Missoula.

JTCowboy
November 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM
EWU vs MSU The cowboys better bring it or it will be anouther early out.

I think that would be true for every team/game, its the playoffs between the 16 best teams eligible.xnodx

JTCowboy
November 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I want to see how Delaware State matches up with an elite FCS program.

Sir William
November 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Several good games in first round.

DSU-UD is mostly impressive to Delaware citizens. UD should be in control of this one early in the 3rd qtr.

JMU-App is going to be a barnburner. App pulls away in the 4th.

UNH-UNI is going to be interesting. UNH owes UNI for the 2nd round defeat a couple of years ago, but I say UNI wins this one.

EKU-Richmond is intriguing. Richmond is playing very well. EKU is a bit of a mystery to most folks. Richmond wins on their home turf

SIU over EIU. McNeese over EWU. UMass big over Fordham.

Game of the week: Wofford at Montana, hands down. This game will go down to the wire. Montana will be driving very late in the game for the go-ahead TD, but turns it over deep in Wofford territory, giving Woffie the upset victory and big mojo heading into the 2nd round.

Hey, I like Montana - great fans! - but Wofford's gonna get-r-done this weekend. You heard it first here. You're welcome.

ball21
November 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Looks likes to me that must people are picking the best games to watch are SoCO teams? I guess we are good across the board!

Wofford don't listen to all the smack go out there and play like you did against APP and you will be fine!! Montana schedules is nothing to brag about, give them a hand full and earn that victory !!

Let the strong survive and the weak stay home!

GO SoCo - App and Wofford!!

terrierbob
November 20th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I made the same mistake as th0m and voted Wofford/Montana. Mine would be DE State and DE because of the the historic nature of the game.

terrierbob
November 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I went with JMU/ASU. That should be a good one. I will be in Missoula for the Griz. I just hope I can get there, Missoula is getting pounded with snow.....

Oh goody.