PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice URI & Towson

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2005, 10:17 PM
are both 2-0. URI crushed CCSU (the team that beat Colgate last week) 56-10. Towson beat Lock Haven 70-0. Could be another wild year in the A10.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 10th, 2005, 10:19 PM
No *****, CM. Looks like anything could happen.

bkrownd
September 10th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Rhody's going to clean the minutemen's clocks again.

Tribe4SF
September 10th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Tribe will be taking Rhody very seriously next week. :eek:

mainejeff
September 10th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I've noticed, but both need an A-10 win to get my respect. Nice start for both of them though.....they could do some damage in the league.

Ram Ball
September 12th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I was at both Rhody wins. We are MUCH improved from last year, but I am interested to see how we play against W&M and UMass in the next two weeks. Our running game has been spectacular, and defense is better than the last few years, but we are still plagued by the same FUMBLE-ITIS as always...

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
9/10/05 Towson 70 Lock Haven 0
9/3/05 JMU 56 Lock Haven 0

JMU got off to a sluggish start in the game but kept starters in until around the start of the fourth quater. Anyone from Towson see their game against Lock Haven?

JoltinJoe
September 12th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I placed URI No. 25 in my poll this week, for the reasons stated.

89Hen
September 12th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I've noticed, but both need an A-10 win to get my respect. Nice start for both of them though
Was thinking the same thing. They are both winless in the A10 this year.

bluehenbillk
September 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM
We'll see how real both are this week.

TigerFan17
September 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM
9/10/05 Towson 70 Lock Haven 0
9/3/05 JMU 56 Lock Haven 0

JMU got off to a sluggish start in the game but kept starters in until around the start of the fourth quater. Anyone from Towson see their game against Lock Haven?

Was there for the whole thing. They won the toss, we kicked to them, intercepted their first pass, then rushed for a TD on the ensuing play. They were only in scoring position once, a missed FG. That came on the drive right after our first TD. After that missed FG, we racked up 35 points in the second quarter alone. Bench was in by mid second quarter. It was total domination. 601 yards of total offense to their 70. Our 3rd and 4th stringers were man-handling them. They had only 3 first downs, 1 in the first half. We basically ran the ball all over them.

Our running game is up leagues from what it was last year...Williams/McCloude/King are a great combo of backs. WR depth is outstanding. Quarterback (freshman, replacing a soph. who started last year) is still improving, but the good rushing game takes a little weight off of his shoulders. The O-Line was missing its 2 best players and had to start a 3rd string center. They are back in action for the UNH game this weekend.

The score was 56-0 at the half...it wasn't a game at all.

Our 3rd string QB even came in and threw a TD pass...likely the last time he'll ever play (hes a senior).

Our secondary continues to be dominant, giving us a better chance to disrupt UNH's passing game.

Basically we scored extremely early..allowed them to march into scoring position once, then after that it was just a landslide.

TigerFan17
September 12th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I agree with the most recent posts' sentiments, our real test will come when we play UNH Saturday. I think that will be a good way to measure how successful we will be this season, though we will get better as the year goes on largely due to an inexperienced QB. Its hard to find UNH fans which I find really weird.

We all know about Santos/Ball, but I don't know much about the UNH Defense, anyone got any info for me?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
There are a couple of us around who post and I know a couple others who lurk.

RCNY46 doesn't think the UNH Defense will fill the holes left by departed players. I'm a bit more optimistic that the unit will be able to play the bend but don't break style of last year and win the battle of turnovers. The DL and the pass rush is probably the biggest concern.

I know I'm not expecting a repeat of last year's game in Durham! You guys had to be worn down so late in the season and no doubt the sight of snow covered ground that morning didn't fuel your optimism.

I'm hoping that Ophelia clears the area before Saturday!

TigerFan17
September 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hmm so this should be a pretty interesting match-up. Our QB Sean Schaefer (Fr.) is going to be great, but his only flaws now are that of young QBs...when put under pressure he tends to either throw a bad pass or gets sacked instead of getting rid of it...i.e. a formula for turnovers. However, when provided with good protection, he can really excel. And if your D-Line is of concern, our running game has done a complete 180 since last year and showed some real promise, so this is another good thing for us. Hopefully our O-Line can really mesh for this game, with the return of two key O-Lineman.

We might actually have a chance here!

Heres to a good game and lets see if Towson can pull a big upset this year! This would be a great win for our program. Then again...every conference win is be considered an upset for us...heh :(

TigerFan17
September 12th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Right now the forecast is Sunny, High 78, low 58 = beautiful. Lets hope it stays that way!

rcny46
September 12th, 2005, 05:36 PM
There are a couple of us around who post and I know a couple others who lurk.

RCNY46 doesn't think the UNH Defense will fill the holes left by departed players. I'm a bit more optimistic that the unit will be able to play the bend but don't break style of last year and win the battle of turnovers. The DL and the pass rush is probably the biggest concern.

I know I'm not expecting a repeat of last year's game in Durham! You guys had to be worn down so late in the season and no doubt the sight of snow covered ground that morning didn't fuel your optimism.

I am in agreement with you in regard to the defensive line and the pass rushing capabilities of the Wildcats' defense.Actually,the D had a decent game against UC-Davis,and kept them in the game while the offense sputtered.A safety,Jeff Pammer(RS freshman),had 18 tackles and I'm not sure if that's a good sign though.I think it will be that type of season where I'll be holding my breath each week-except for the Iona game.

Husky Alum
September 12th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Not for nothing, but if URI and/or Towson played YSU and GSU and NU played either Towson and URI's schedules, they'd be 0-2 and the Huskies would be 2-0.

Now we can argue scheduling methodologies forever, but Morgan State and Lock Haven, come on.

I'll give credit where credit is due, but I don't think any credit is due yet.

NU is likely staring at a difficult season, no doubt but let's not put URI in the Top 25 for crushing Central and beating a very average Fordham team (that looks worse now that it lost to Duquesne).

TigerFan17
September 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I never said that Towson deserves any credit in the I-AA world. Thats why I said above that I agree with the posts stating that the real test comes against UNH. Until that game, we have no way to judge how good or bad we are. I never said we were better than Northeastern and never ever even considered uttering that our schedule was one to be reckoned with. My only point is that we are better than last year, which is the way a natural progression from non-scholly to scholly should go. Never said we're incredible, just better than last season.

00bluehen
September 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Slow down there, cowboy...that team that you managed to scrape by last week just got throttled by that powerhouse Bowie State ;)

blukeys
September 12th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Slow down there, cowboy...that team that you managed to scrape by last week just got throttled by that powerhouse Bowie State ;)

From the posts I read last week, No TU fan took any huge amount of credit from the win over Morgan. However, they gave up 8 turnovers and still managed to win. I have yet to see a TU post that claims they have arrived.

However, we need to take this (TU) group seriously. 9-11 last year they gave us a tough game and can still do the same for our young Hens this year. We need to get behind the Hens at Unitas stadium on 10-1 and realize that TU is a real A-10 team. :) :) :)

00bluehen
September 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Calm down, blukeys...I'm merely having some fun at the expense of our striped friend there. When you're from Towson, you gotta take it where you can get it.

My judgment, like that of many others, is still out on the entire A-10.

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 01:42 AM
From the posts I read last week, No TU fan took any huge amount of credit from the win over Morgan. However, they gave up 8 turnovers and still managed to win. I have yet to see a TU post that claims they have arrived.

However, we need to take this (TU) group seriously. 9-11 last year they gave us a tough game and can still do the same for our young Hens this year. We need to get behind the Hens at Unitas stadium on 10-1 and realize that TU is a real A-10 team. :) :) :)

Thanks for the respect...it only took forever.... :D

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Calm down, blukeys...I'm merely having some fun at the expense of our striped friend there. When you're from Towson, you gotta take it where you can get it.

My judgment, like that of many others, is still out on the entire A-10.

Wow you're cool.

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 01:46 AM

Man...your 6 posts have been fueled with insight... :rolleyes:

Go somewhere else.