PDA

View Full Version : Can Coastal Finally get some RESPECT?

Coastal Carolina '09
September 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM
10-1 last season and the strength of schedule was questioned which is fine, but with a win over the defending national champs and #1 team in the country they deserve some respect. The Chants can play some football.

rokamortis
September 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Probably not.

One game will not earn us the respect we want - we have a lot more games to play before that happens. people will keep an eye on us though, mainly to watch us fail.

rabidsaluki
September 10th, 2005, 10:07 PM
:hurray: :beerchug:

How's that?

00bluehen
September 10th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Not here, rokamortis. A great deal of respect was earned for your Chants...from me anyway.

Well done. Don't downplay what is quite a LARGE victory for that fledgling program of yours. ;)

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Not here, rokamortis. A great deal of respect was earned for your Chants...from me anyway.

Well done. Don't downplay what is quite a LARGE victory for that fledgling program of yours. ;)

Of course... us CHICKENS gotta stick together... :D

ChickenMan
September 10th, 2005, 10:10 PM
10-1 last season and the strength of schedule was questioned which is fine, but with a win over the defending national champs and #1 team in the country they deserve some respect. The Chants can play some football.

rokamortis
September 10th, 2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks for your support. No doubt it was a huge win. But if we play like crap the rest of the year this one win won't mean anything. Unfortunately there are still some tough games on the schedule and also some teams we beat last year that want revenge. So i'm just putting it in perspective.

WUTNDITWAA
September 10th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I know one team which had damn well better respect you next Saturday. Congrats.

rokamortis
September 10th, 2005, 10:13 PM

It is the Year of the Chanticleer - err Roosters ;)

rokamortis
September 10th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I know one team which had damn well better respect you next Saturday. Congrats.

I wasn't going to say it before today- but I have felt that the ASU game next week will be a lot tougher than JMU at home.

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2005, 10:15 PM
from one bird mascot to another...congrats from Scrappy in Chattanooga :)

bkrownd
September 10th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Respect would be more forthcoming with a more manly school color, like crimson, scarlet or maroon. :nod:

rokamortis
September 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Teal and Black baby - those new uniforms look awesome.

GtFllsGriz
September 10th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Congrats Coastal, big win. Enjoy it. Ain't it fun when things get shaken up a bit.

Cocky
September 10th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Your Chickens were better than our tonight.

Welcome to the playoffs.

bkrownd
September 10th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Teal and Black baby - those new uniforms look awesome.

Did you see Hawaii's silver-and-white uniforms today? Those rocked. I've been waiting for that color scheme for a while.

Hansel
September 10th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Did you see Hawaii's silver-and-white uniforms today? Those rocked. I've been waiting for that color scheme for a while.
we busted out new unis with yellow letters on white jerseys, I am fearing the pictures

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Nice win. Congrats.

rokamortis
September 10th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the playoffs.

Not so fast. We have a lot more to do before that happens.

Thumper250
September 10th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Yes, Chants, congratulations. Big win for the league too. I think Gardner-Webb's I-AA portion of the schedule finally begins on September 24. 119 points against two NAIA foes was fun - but a little boring. At least GWU can maybe be the NAIA Mid-South Champs.

Congrats from up the road.

-thump

suffolkva
September 10th, 2005, 10:43 PM

I liked the tribal wrap around the left pants leg. It did look tough.

Catmendue2
September 10th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Yes Coastal Carolina has earned it respect, and the respect your conference rightly deserves as well. Congratulations. You may have been the true National champion last year. ;) ;) ;)

SuperJon
September 11th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Nobody's using teal anymore. The football team had green on tonight, not teal.

We're not in the playoffs yet. We made a leap tonight but we hafta perform very well at App and then play well at SC State. We do that and win the Big South we'll be in the playoffs.

See you guys at Happy Appy next week.

th0m
September 11th, 2005, 05:18 AM
You'll have my respect.

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Yes. I hope your boys make the playoffs.

Just hope they don't play in their third game THIS year like they did in their third game LAST year. If they do they'll lose 60-0. Appalachian State ain't Newberry.

Sly Fox
September 11th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Very creative way to work Newberry into this thread.

One challenge facing the Chants now is that they won't be sneaking into Appy. I seriously doubt they'll be overlooked by anyone the remainder of the season. But that's what goes with earning respectability.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Yes. I hope your boys make the playoffs.

Just hope they don't play in their third game THIS year like they did in their third game LAST year. If they do they'll lose 60-0. Appalachian State ain't Newberry.

I knew it was still going to be spoken - just didn't think it would be by JSO :bang:

Anyway - that is a valid concern. Coming off of a huge win we need to stay focused and play ASU as hard or harder than we played JMU. We can't forget that ASU is on a very, very long home game winning streak.

Saint3333
September 11th, 2005, 09:15 AM
If CCU beats either ASU or SCSU and runs through the Big South as expected they're in the playoffs. See you guys in Boone this weekend. I expect to win, but your game versus JMU has me concerned.

ASU's offense improved a lot from our first game to our second against a better defense. If ASU can run the ball at all ASU will win. @ ASU should be the toughest place CCU has played in its short football history.

chantman
September 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
The thing that impressed me the most was the way CCU won this game. They scored twice in the 4th. The winning drive coming from 90+ yards out. The final drive was set up by a hugh defensive stop. Very impressed with the boys.

citdog
September 11th, 2005, 09:23 AM
CCU '09? How much football can you have seen knob wannabe? Sorry guys I forgot that i just remembered that I own property in horry county, does this mean i can now root for usc-c? ;) Good win for the Chants!

OL FU
September 11th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Fantastic.

CONGRATULATIONS.

JohnStOnge
September 11th, 2005, 12:26 PM
If CCU beats either ASU or SCSU and runs through the Big South as expected they're in the playoffs. See you guys in Boone this weekend. I expect to win, but your game versus JMU has me concerned.

I'd think that too if it hadn't been for what happened with then-independent Elon in 1999. They went 9-2, including 2-1 against teams that did make the playoffs. They beat Southern Conference co champion Furman 24-22 and blew out MEAC champion North Carolina A&T 40-7. They did lose 21-9 to playoff bound Hofstra and 20-14 to 7-4 Western Illinois.

I was surprised that a 9-2 team that beat two "major" I-AA conference champs and went 2-1 against playoff teams didn't get selected, but the Committee apparently thought the overall schedule wasn't tough enough.

I can also remember a 10-1 Cal Poly team being left out in 1997 in spite of having beaten Northern Iowa (which finished ahead of eventual national champ YSU in the Gateway and beat the Penguins), Montana State, and I-A New Mexico State. Cal Poly being left out at 9-2 last season was pretty strange too, given how well the Great West acquitted itself in non conference play.

You just never know. Coastal Carolina needs to look at every game it plays as a playoff game. Given the history of what the Committee has sometimes done I just don't think it can count on getting in at 10-1.

rokamortis
September 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
You just never know. Coastal Carolina needs to look at every game it plays as a playoff game. Given the history of what the Committee has sometimes done I just don't think it can count on getting in at 10-1.

Well said JSO.

Hell - I think we'll be luck to get to playoffs anyway. 10-1 is hard enough with a schedule like we had last year, let alone with some of the teams we are playing this year.

ngineer
September 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
In answer to the question posed by the thread--yes! ;)

JMUfan2008
September 11th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the playoffs.

...yeah, we'll see you there ready for a rematch ;) (when we lost to W&M last year I told my friend "we'll see you in the playoffs", and look what happened....)

Go...gate
September 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Great win for you guys - a program-maker. Congrats!

Lapper
September 11th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Sorry guys, I've been in a coma for the past 48 hours. Did I miss anything? :confused:

The Gadfly
September 12th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I hate to say I told you so, but ...... :cool:

SoCon48
September 12th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I'd think that too if it hadn't been for what happened with then-independent Elon in 1999. They went 9-2, including 2-1 against teams that did make the playoffs. They beat Southern Conference co champion Furman 24-22 and blew out MEAC champion North Carolina A&T 40-7. They did lose 21-9 to playoff bound Hofstra and 20-14 to 7-4 Western Illinois.

I was surprised that a 9-2 team that beat two "major" I-AA conference champs and went 2-1 against playoff teams didn't get selected, but the Committee apparently thought the overall schedule wasn't tough enough.

I can also remember a 10-1 Cal Poly team being left out in 1997 in spite of having beaten Northern Iowa (which finished ahead of eventual national champ YSU in the Gateway and beat the Penguins), Montana State, and I-A New Mexico State. Cal Poly being left out at 9-2 last season was pretty strange too, given how well the Great West acquitted itself in non conference play.

*8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 888888888888

Have to remember that Elon had TWO D-II's on the schedule that year. N Alabama and New Haven (who they barely beat).

adrianb
September 12th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Great job Coastal

Stang Fever
September 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM
i actually give CC some credit here...however its hard to repeat as national champ. the target is on your chest all season so you get the best out of ever opponent...there are a lot of 2-0 teams out there...come find me around week 5 or 6...then teams will start to level out...the bottom feeders (the catfish of football) will go down to there rightfull positions (if that happens to be Poly then so be it)...I give credit were credit is due and CC deserves some credit. for that victory...I just want to see what they do against ASU and other teams on there schedule...

Same situation Poly was in last year...nobody wanted to give respect...it was always one more victory and i will give you respect...Good luck CC

JohnStOnge
September 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM
The GPI last year indicated that Cal Poly was a playoff team, they got Woofed! There was respect for the Mustangs.

I agree. I respected the whole Great West conference last season.

DotCat
September 13th, 2005, 11:52 AM

A win over AppState this weekend will go along way toward earning respect.