PDA

View Full Version : DAYTON VS. ALBANY "GRIDIRON CLASSIC"

FCS_Advocacy5
November 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Okay so now that we have the playoff selections over and done with, and to the surprise of some people even the 3 CSN pre-selection analysts who had a mid-major as the 16th team in (Dayton) nor Albany got selected. So now December 1 is the Gridiron Classic which matches the winner of the PFL and the NEC.

What are the feelings for this game????

Who will win and what are your arguments for or against each team.

You can go based off of what you've heard or what you've seen in person.

WHO WINS???:) :) :)

UMass922
November 19th, 2007, 12:29 AM
My vote's based simply on who I'm rooting for. Gotta go with the Great Danes!

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Dayton should win this one rather easily if we play our game at home. Albany seems to be primarily a running team. Dayton has the second best run defense in all of FCS. Albany's defense is not great against the pass, and Dayton has an amazing QB, Kevin Hoyng, that should be able to tear up Albany's defense. In addition, Hoyng is the leading rusher on the UD team, so when the coverage is good, Kevin burns you with his feet! Dayton's running game has been very average, but it has improved as the season went on. We can run well enough to keep defenses honest....

The big unknown in early December is weather. A poor weather day would greatly favor Albany with their running game over Dayton's passing oriented offense.

If the weather is OK, and Dayton plays up to their potential, I see a fairly easy UD win. Probably not an absolute blowout, but something along the lines of last season's classic.

Still, both of these teams should be in the playoffs this year, and this Gridiron Classic is one he__ of a pi__ poor substitute!!!!!xmadx

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM
UA played tougher teams OOC and I think both the NEC/PFL are equal, but the OOC makes UA a more prepared team and they should take the win. It will be close though.

OLPOP
November 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Having seen both teams play at Fordham, I'm expecting an Albany win. They may not let Dayton's offense get much playing time.

Ruler 79
November 19th, 2007, 08:22 AM
My breakdown goes as follows:

This may sound homerish but this is how I see this shaping up. Albany wins in close fashion. Dayton IMHO is better then anyone else in the NEC. UD will have homefield but like the other poster stated weather will be a factor. UD is a passing first O and that may be their only chance.

Albany will be MUCH bigger then UD. UA's O-line averages 6'4" and goes 305 per guy. They have a Boston College transfer and a kid (Nguti) who should have gone to Buffalo from I have been told. That is two 1A players(sorry I hate FCS or FBS) on their O-line. They just overpower teams and just wear them down. They have had decent success running against the OOC teams and I am sure Dayton will not present the same challenge as Montana or Hofstra. BTW UA is very tough to run on.

Albany's RB will get his yards and that is a fact. Dayton will struggle to stop the run. Dayton does have a smaller athletic team and they do throw very well. UA is suspect against the pass but their front seven is better then any team Dayton has faced all year(yes that includes Fordham).

Dayton will score when they have their chance but they will have trouble stopping the run and that will probabaly be the difference.

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Not too worried about Albany's offensive line. Dayton has played teams this year with big offensive lines. Drake has a big offensive line and one of the best running backs in all of FCS. Dayton contained him this year. Central State, ( yeah, a lowly Division II team ), also had a huge offensive line, ( 6'3" 310 lb average if my memory serves me correctly ). No problem for Dayton once again. ( 11 sacks that day if I remember right ).

And I'll say this, Dayton does not have a "conventional" running game. It can be very hard to contain an extremely mobile QB like Kevin Hoyng. Kevin is the leading rusher on the team.

I agree that Albany will get some yards rushing. Time of possession may also favor Albany. But, Dayton's high powered passing game does not need much time to score and score often. Albany's best bet is to hope for bad weather. If the weather is bad, Albany should probably be favored. If the weather is at least OK, go with the Flyers!

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Not too worried about Albany's offensive line. Dayton has played teams this year with big offensive lines. Drake has a big offensive line and one of the best running backs in all of FCS. Dayton contained him this year. Central State, ( yeah, a lowly Division II team ), also had a huge offensive line, ( 6'3" 310 lb average if my memory serves me correctly ). No problem for Dayton once again. ( 11 sacks that day if I remember right ).

And I'll say this, Dayton does not have a "conventional" running game. It can be very hard to contain an extremely mobile QB like Kevin Hoyng. Kevin is the leading rusher on the team.

I agree that Albany will get some yards rushing. Time of possession may also favor Albany. But, Dayton's high powered passing game does not need much time to score and score often. Albany's best bet is to hope for bad weather. If the weather is bad, Albany should probably be favored. If the weather is at least OK, go with the Flyers!

Sheer size doesnt matter- its the combination of size and athleticism. Being 310 is useless if your fat and slow. Central has a big 0-line but I doubt they are as athletic as Albany. We should rephrase this then. Albany has a very Large O-line and it is also THE BEST line Dayton will face this year without a doubt. Albany's line is larger and more physical than Fordham's, Daytons very undersize d-line will have trouble with these guys.

danefan
November 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM
HUGE difference between a DIII kid at 6'3" 300+ and a DI kid at 6'3" 300lb+xthumbsupx

I can't wait for this game. Its 10+ years in the making baby!

#1 and #2 all-time winningest active coaches in FCS (and #'s 3 & 4 in all of Division I behind Bobby Bowden and Joe Pa) against each other!

Mike Kelly - 235 wins
Bob Ford - 225 wins

Can we have a better matchup!

I think weather will be a huge factor. Especially on that crappy carpet.xsmiley_wix

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM
If Dave McCarty gets an opening on that carpet...SAY BYE BYE.

andy7171
November 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM
GO GREAT DANES!!!!

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
If Dave McCarty gets an opening on that carpet...SAY BYE BYE.

2006 Flyers - True Statement

2007 Flyers - Pain for Mr. McCarty!!!!!

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Have you seen him run? Right...didnt think so. I have SEEN Dayton. That's the big difference.

FCS_Advocacy5
November 19th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Have you seen him run? Right...didnt think so. I have SEEN Dayton. That's the big difference.

I have seen him run and also have seen the Dayton defense. They have been undersized every game this year with the largest differences coming against San Deigo, Drake, Morehead, and Fordham.

In breaking down each team I think that Drake has the one of the top 5 runners in all of FCS football and some1 who is currently the active leading rusher in football Scotty P. and Dayton contained him to 50 yards on over 20 carries.

Morehead also had a 300+ line but the difference is that they had two big hard nosed running backs both over 6'1 and 220. Dayton held one (Cornelius) to around 40 and the other around 20.

Fordham had a 300+ line and two solid runningbacks both small and young but were held in check on a terrible weather day where the rain was pouring and Dayton prevailed with Martin at 40 and Coven at 20. Both are speed burners.

San Deigo who in my opinion has the back most similar to Albany's in that a hard nosed north and south runner at about 195 with a 300+ line in front of him paving the way. JT Rogan is his name and he had 13 carries for 43 yards after checking some statistics.

This game was at Welcome and I feel that Dayton's D will be able to keep a runner like McCarty in check because Dayton has faced similar teams to Albany. There is a reason why they are the number 2 rushing defense, top 5 total defense, and #1 in sacks in all of FCS because the boys do play tough and "heavy" for their size. xsmiley_wix

As you can see no 100 yard rushers this year against Dayton.

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have seen him run and also have seen the Dayton defense. They have been undersized every game this year with the largest differences coming against San Deigo, Drake, Morehead, and Fordham.

In breaking down each team I think that Drake has the one of the top 5 runners in all of FCS football and some1 who is currently the active leading rusher in football Scotty P. and Dayton contained him to 50 yards on over 20 carries.

Morehead also had a 300+ line but the difference is that they had two big hard nosed running backs both over 6'1 and 220. Dayton held one (Cornelius) to around 40 and the other around 20.

Fordham had a 300+ line and two solid runningbacks both small and young but were held in check on a terrible weather day where the rain was pouring and Dayton prevailed with Martin at 40 and Coven at 20. Both are speed burners.

San Deigo who in my opinion has the back most similar to Albany's in that a hard nosed north and south runner at about 195 with a 300+ line in front of him paving the way. JT Rogan is his name and he had 13 carries for 43 yards after checking some statistics.

As you can see no 100 yard rushers this year against Dayton.

This game was at Welcome and I feel that Dayton's D will be able to keep a runner like McCarty in check because Dayton has faced similar teams to Albany. There is a reason why they are the number 2 rushing defense, top 5 total defense, and #1 in sacks in all of FCS because the boys do play tough and "heavy" for their size. xsmiley_wix

Man...I stopped reading after "hard nosed" and having said you saw Albany before. If you had, you would have compared Albany's runners to such.

David McCarty is a blue collar bruiser. He is 6'0 and a strong 190. The kid was a ranked wrestler...which gives him the ability to get low and to stay on his feet after the initial hits. Albany counters with 6'1 215lb Omar Johnson. After that, we throw our "lightening" out there....Justin Gannon and Colin Simmons- Two little guys with absolute change of pace lightening speed.

More important, DAYTON has NOT faced an O-Line like Albany's. As good as McCarty and Co. are (he would be pissed to know we list him as a solo), the O-LINE HAS DOMINATED....opening massive holes for him.

Montana's top defensive player commented that they were shocked at seeing Tackles with the size and strength of Nguti and Tougas. They are both Juniors that go 6'6 and 308 and 6'6 330. One is a BC transfer...the other was going to go to Buffalo.

The reason you have no 100 yard rushers is because of the comp you played.

Put it this way: Dayton holds Albany to under 100 yards:

A) I will eat my crow
B) Dayton will have DESTROYED Albany

I think both...will not occur. Not saying that Dayton will not win...but you are not stopping the Danes from reaching 100.

Uncle Buck
November 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I gotta believe that Albany will be the most physical team that Dayton will play. While they may not be the most talented at every position, the Danes play smashmouth football and are very aggressive. I think the game will be hard fought, but UA's battle tested team with a strong OOC schedule will come out on top.

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Very true Buck; Fordham, Montana, Hofstra, 'Gate, CCSU-- All commented on how shocked they were at Albany's physical play.

Fordham stated Albany was the most physical team they played (including Dayton) and CCSU said Albany's front 7 D was the best they played...including Western Michigan.

If Dayton wins (and they have the same shot as UA-- 50-50), it will be becuase they shut down the run and they passed all over us.

I am real worried about Dayton passing the ball.

FCS_Advocacy5
November 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Man...I stopped reading after "hard nosed" and having said you saw Albany before. If you had, you would have compared Albany's runners to such.

David McCarty is a blue collar bruiser. He is 6'0 and a strong 190. The kid was a ranked wrestler...which gives him the ability to get low and to stay on his feet after the initial hits. Albany counters with 6'1 215lb Omar Johnson. After that, we throw our "lightening" out there....Justin Gannon and Colin Simmons- Two little guys with absolute change of pace lightening speed.

More important, DAYTON has NOT faced an O-Line like Albany's. As good as McCarty and Co. are (he would be pissed to know we list him as a solo), the O-LINE HAS DOMINATED....opening massive holes for him.

Montana's top defensive player commented that they were shocked at seeing Tackles with the size and strength of Nguti and Tougas. They are both Juniors that go 6'6 and 308 and 6'6 330. One is a BC transfer...the other was going to go to Buffalo.

The reason you have no 100 yard rushers is because of the comp you played.

Put it this way: Dayton holds Albany to under 100 yards:

A) I will eat my crow
B) Dayton will have DESTROYED Albany

I think both...will not occur. Not saying that Dayton will not win...but you are not stopping the Danes from reaching 100.

Like I said Dayton's D has seen each type of runningback blue collar "Drake", lightning "Fordham", real big "Morehead", and hard nosed "San Diego" (because I know how you like those two words :) . McCarty has been the leading rusher for Albany and had the big game next week. He is a JT Rogan with a similar sized line. San Deigo's tackle specs for your info 6'3 317 Kabiling at right tackle (Hawaiian) Senior and 6'6 300 Thompson rotates with 6'2 310 Galindo. Dayton has seen some size. There is a reason why JT Rogan has rushed for 1021 (5.1 avg) yards and Josh Johnson (QB) rushed for 726 (7.2 avg). Johnson has also been able to pass for 2988 yds and 43 tds all behind that o'line. I wouldn't discredit my comparison of Albany to San Diego from a runningback and tackles standpoint quite so much. Not bad numbers in my opinion.

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Dayton's defensive line is not really "undersized". We are not huge, but we are OK sizewise on the defensive line. We have some great athletes on defense, between our defensive line and linebackers, it is very hard to run on the Flyers. There is also some good depth on the defensive line which allows us to stay fresh and not get "worn down" by big offensive lineman. In fact, it will probably go the other way if Albany cannot substitute on the offensive line.

Where Dayton is small is on the offensive line. To counter this, we run a spread offense. This works because we have a very good passing QB and a very mobile and athletic QB.

This will be a great game, far better than most of the first round playoff games.

USDFAN_55
November 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I think what we can all agree on is that this game is going to be a good one. How long has Albany been wanting a piece of Dayton? Well now they have their chance, and Dayton has their chance to show they are for real. I think everyone in here has made very valid points that could be determining factors in this game. The one key factor that I see is home field advantage. That carpet at Welcome Stadium is a P.O.S.xnodx The Dayton players are used to it and now what it takes to have the best traction possible. Also remeber that speed generally trumps size when you are playing on an artificial turf. I can't wait to see the outcome of this game.

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM
So wait, are you telling us that you are signing in, against the TOS, as FCS Advocacy?

The response was to FCS's description of the comp.

USDFAN_55
November 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
So wait, are you telling us that you are signing in, against the TOS, as FCS Advocacy?

xconfusedx

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I think what we can all agree on is that this game is going to be a good one. How long has Albany been wanting a piece of Dayton? Well now they have their chance, and Dayton has their chance to show they are for real. I think everyone in here has made very valid points that could be determining factors in this game. The one key factor that I see is home field advantage. That carpet at Welcome Stadium is a P.O.S.xnodx The Dayton players are used to it and now what it takes to have the best traction possible. Also remeber that speed generally trumps size when you are playing on an artificial turf. I can't wait to see the outcome of this game.

I agree on the homefield thing...plus it should be packed. That being said, McCarty runs a 4.4 and Gannon and Simmons are probably sub.

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
How many fans will Albany bring to the game? Welcome Stadium holds 11,000.... Our best attendance this season was when we "proved we were real" against some team in California...., ( 7800+ ). I sure would like to see more than that for this game.... Unfortunately, Albany is a long way from Dayton, and I just cannot see many fans coming down.... I know at least one fan from Pittsburgh, ( Robert Morris fan ), has said he might come out for the game....

What do you Albany fans think? Are many folks willing to make the trip to see Albany play in the vaunted Gridiron Classic?

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately...probably just family. Otherwise, I would suspect 500-1000 with busses and family. Albany travels VERY well. We brought close to 1000 to Columbus at the last minute for our NCAA trip last year.

It coincides with:

A) The women's NCAA Volleyball playoff
B) Our annual cross-town DONNYBROOK with Siena in hoops. Game averages 11,000 and we may break that this year if Albany and Siena go in the game 4-1 and 4-2 respectively. Countless others will be watching on TV.

Grrrrriz
November 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I watched the dane's come to missoula, and be pretty impressive.

I hope they win, they deserve it.

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I watched the dane's come to missoula, and be pretty impressive.

I hope they win, they deserve it.

They "deserve" to win because they came to Montana to pick up a loss? I guess the Flyers should have lost more games so that we would "deserve" to win....xnonox

Flyer Gramps
November 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The Flyers certainly stepped up this season after such a disappointment last. Only one member (and a second hedged a bit) on our forum picked this team to win 10 or more.

I think two things happened; a coaching staff with many years in the program was willing to tweak the plan to where they never had wanted to venture before. And experienced players. It was impressive to see 32 seniors play their last game. Heck, there are 13 who are 5th year seniors. And these guys are students first so Dayton fields a team of very experienced and inteligent players.

This (experience) to a great extent permitted a 4-6 team to grow to the point that they outplayed taller, heavier, faster units. The main shortcoming is special teams but an outstanding passing and running QB has helped put up enough points to overcome the lack of punt or KO return performances.

Like others have said, this is a good coaching matchup and the teams could be better than many of the first round FCS games. My opologies for the field. The astro remains because financing for the expected field turf didn't happen a year ago and the University doesn't have any control of the stadium; to all our disappointment.

Go Flyers!

Grrrrriz
November 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
They "deserve" to win because they came to Montana to pick up a loss? I guess the Flyers should have lost more games so that we would "deserve" to win....xnonox

Flyers should have played harder competition.

Go Albany!

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Dayton.

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Go ALBANY!

Now CCSU didn't have a great year, but finished 2nd in the NEC, played well in the opener vs. Towson, and lined up against a 85-scholly I-A team in Western Michigan. We had good stats all season long in both rushing and scoring defense. We were a good team, although we did slide back to end the season.

So here's some post game quotes on Albany's rout over CCSU:

"I hate the way we lost today, it was just a (butt)-whooping," CCSU coach Jeff McInerney said. "Give them all the credit in the world."

"He's a good running back," CCSU defensive end Ernie Greywacz said. "He ran hard. He's a north-south runner. He didn't do a lot of jukes. He was running for the end zone, not the sideline."

"What happened is Albany beat us," McInerney said. "They physically beat us."

Said Greywacz: "I was talking to a friend and I said, 'we've had great wins and great losses'. Great in that we whooped some butt and we got our butt whooped."

"Albany outplayed us and outcoached us," Central coach Jeff McInerney said.

"They were by far the toughest defense we faced all year," said Central QB Ryan Holmes.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19034806&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-centralfoot1118.artnov18,0,1620281.story

The last quote is what got me. CCSU played a full scholarship CAA team (Towson), a partial scholly Independent (Stony Brook), and a I-A team (Western Mich), and Holmes think UA's defense was the best. IMO that says something, and I don't think we we just being polite.

I'll take Albany in a close game, 24-17.

Seahawks Fan
November 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Albany was the toughest team we faced this year. Albany 24-14.

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Dayton.

Shocking.

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Shocking.

I knew you would like that one.... As odd as it may seem, I find myself in total agreement with Syntax Error on this one...!xlolx

udchuck
November 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM

????????????????????????????What are you trying to say ???????????????????xconfusedx

Seawolf97
November 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Albany is too good and doesnt quit- Danes 27 Flyers 13xthumbsupx

flyenhigh
November 19th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Dayton wins by 10

Seahawks Fan
November 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
????????????????????????????What are trying to say ???????????????????xconfusedx

What's that Chuck? xlolx

letsgopards04
November 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Growing up in the Albany area and knowing and playing guys who played for the Danes -- GO DANES!

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
rut roooo.

new GPI is out:

Albany 36
Dayton 39

Uh oh.....
It's now officially a lock. They shouldn't even play the game anymore.:D

DetroitFlyer
November 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM
The GPI did not perform well this year at all.... I still harbor a suspicision that the San Diego factor played into the polls this year. Teams like Dayton and Albany were not voted to high rankings, while "safe" teams like Harvard and Yale were.... As I've mentioned, zero risk and zero controversy voting up Ivy teams.... Vote up a Dayton or Albany, and there just might be talk of the playoffs.... Well, we certainly cannot have that, now can we?

Still, it is interesting the Albany's GPI is higher now than Dayton's, especially considering that Dayton is rated higher is every single human poll I have been able to find....

I suppose that we should go ahead and play the game just to be sure....

From all the information available, these teams should be pretty evenly matched. I still see a UD win, but this should be a great game. Come on down Albany and NEC fans to beautiful Dayton, Ohio to see the game in person. I promise you that Dayton fans are quite nice and will treat you well, even if on the odd chance we lose.

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Intersting also that Albany is ranked higher in the GPI then Eastern Illinois who was apparently the #15 team in. Woofed?

WWII
November 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
It's unfortunate that the game falls on the same day as the basketball game with our crosstown rival Siena. This game will definitely keep the numbers going to Dayton down quite a bit.

DetroitFlyer
November 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM
It's unfortunate that the game falls on the same day as the basketball game with our crosstown rival Siena. This game will definitely keep the numbers going to Dayton down quite a bit.

Come on now.... There is a ton of basketball to be played this year.... How often does Albany get to play in a post season bowl game? A chance to make a road trip, see an excellent football game, versus seeing a Sienna, ( who? ), basketball game....

Trust me, I know all too well the difficulty of being a football fan at a "basketball" school. You just have to get your priorities right! UD is actually holding a university sponsered tailgate over at the UD Arena next door.... I got my tickets to the tailgate and the game in the mail yesterday. Heck, even I have to drive down from Detroit.... Come on Albany / NEC fans, time to make a road trip and support your conference and the Danes!!!!!xthumbsupx

Dane96
November 20th, 2007, 09:18 AM
You have NO concept of how big this basketball game is. I don't think Xavier-Cincy is on par...but it is similar in the public-catholic realm. It is our version of UNC-Duke.

Put it this way: Before the series re-started 6 years ago, the last game had a bench clearing brawl....AMONG THE FANS!

It is a heated rivalry...and one day soon it will sell out the arena at 15k. This year should break the 12k mark.

Ruler 79
November 20th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I think I am going to make the trip. I was definatly going if it were in San Diego because I had business out there but I just went to the Michigan/Ohio State game and the flights were reasonable.

BTW I don't think UA is considered a basketball school. If it is percieved as such I think that will change dramatically as the program reaches the fully funded level of 63 rides and a brand new $50,000,000 facility. The school of choice for UA to emulate is Delaware.

I think the game is going to be fantastic. I think most UA fans view this as another OOC game. If they win and win the Sports Cup great if they lose they don't really care as UA fans/alumni really don't like the "mid major" moniker that goes with it. I am positive the players feel differently though.

Ruler 79
November 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Any chance this gets televised????? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

udchuck
November 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
What's that Chuck? xlolx

LOL, I'm just trying to figure what the man is trying to say.xrotatehx :D BTW --Dayton will win this game. ( I just hope I didn't just jinxed them )

udchuck
November 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Any chance this gets televised????? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/
Click on the Dayton ALL ACCESS Tab on the right side of the page, follow directions ,Must be on Internet explorer ,Not Mozilla Firefox..or other.

Dane96
November 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
LOL, I'm just trying to figure what the man is trying to say.xrotatehx :D BTW --Dayton will win this game. ( I just hope I didn't just jinxed them )

The guy sounds like he was admiting he was another poster...and had two names. Not that big a deal.

DetroitFlyer
November 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/
Click on the Dayton ALL ACCESS Tab on the right side of the page, follow directions ,Must be on Internet explorer ,Not Mozilla Firefox..or other.

This is the same streaming broadcast that allowed you to see the USD at UD game earlier in the season. Hopefully, they have the audio worked out.... I heard that the last few games that were streamed only featured an infrequent comment by the PA announcer at the stadium!

Dane96
November 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah...it was bad

udchuck
November 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
What's that Chuck? xlolx

xlolx I just realized I forgot ---YOU--- xlolx Jokes on me

CSN-info
November 20th, 2007, 12:15 PM
The GPI did not perform well this year at all....

Still, it is interesting the Albany's GPI is higher now than Dayton's, especially considering that Dayton is rated higher is every single human poll I have been able to find.....??? "The GPI did not perform well this year at all...." ??? xconfusedx

"Albany's GPI is higher now than Dayton's, especially considering that Dayton is rated higher is every single human poll" and Eastern Illinois is ranked higher than Villanova in polls. That is called over-ranked.

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Is Dayton ready for this?
http://northeastconference.org/images/fball/2007/10/12/UA%20david_mccarty%20web.jpg

McCarty names NEC offensive player of the week for the 4th time in 5 weeks.
http://northeastconference.org/pow.asp?path=fball&type=offensive%20-%20fb&season=2007

Following Saturday’s victory, Albany head coach Bob Ford simply said, "How about that performance by McCarty?!" The sophomore tailback rushed for a career-high 247 yards on 19 carries, powering the Great Danes to a 49-14 triumph over Central Connecticut State in the NEC title game. McCarty found paydirt twice and averaged 13.0 yards per carry en route to amassing the greatest single-game rushing total by a Great Dane in more than 30 years. Tom DeBlois’ 275-yard game against Springfield in 1975 is the only performance ahead of McCarty’s in the UA record book. After moving from receiver to tailback during the off-season, McCarty has already produced the third-best single-season rushing mark in Albany history with 1,369 yards.

DetroitFlyer
November 20th, 2007, 04:10 PM
http://northeastconference.org/images/fball/2007/10/12/UA%20david_mccarty%20web.jpg

http://northeastconference.org/pow.asp?path=fball&type=offensive%20-%20fb&season=2007

Bring em on!

udchuck
November 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I think Dayton will be ready for him. Tell him to bring his best game,He'll need it.

Fresno St. Alum
November 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Albany (scholly factor)

USDFAN_55
November 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Albany (scholly factor)

How many scholarships are being used at Albany right now? And to how many kids are they distributed? I honestly think that is a non-factor in this game. Albany has there scholarships, and Dayton has their "Academic Merit" awards...... that's pretty much a washxnodx

Key factors:

1. Weather (wet plays into Albany's style of play, and dry helps Dayton)
2. Home field Advantage (crappy surface, travel, fan support)

Boogs
November 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM

If he's surrounded by crap (Albany teammates) then I would say, yes!

Craig James (Federals) and Mike Rozier (Maulers) were surrounded by a cast of crap and got stuffed in their USFL years.

Go Flyers! Shutout the Great Lames! xsmiley_wix

Boogs
November 20th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Anyone know what the format is for this game?

In prior years, the PFL's championship game required both teams to dress a maximum of 48 players per team. The rest of the home team's players sat in the stands. The visiting team left their non-48 at home. Had to be some cost savings parity thing that was agreed upon. xrulesx

Is there a rule like this in effect for this game?

Reason why I ask is we may have lots of players doing special teams that normally did not do that sort of thing earlier in the season. That may give a new spin for this game. xcoffeex

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
If he's surrounded by crap (Albany teammates) then I would say, yes!

Craig James (Federals) and Mike Rozier (Maulers) were surrounded by a cast of crap and got stuffed in their USFL years.

I'd say its pretty clear that he's not surrounded by "crap".

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Anyone know what the format is for this game?

In prior years, the PFL's championship game required both teams to dress a maximum of 48 players per team. The rest of the home team's players sat in the stands. The visiting team left their non-48 at home. Had to be some cost savings parity thing that was agreed upon. xrulesx

Is there a rule like this in effect for this game?

Reason why I ask is we may have lots of players doing special teams that normally did not do that sort of thing earlier in the season. That may give a new spin for this game. xcoffeex

Treated as a normal out of conference game as far as I know. Normal travel squads, plus in Albany's case, I believe they will travel with the full "bowl" squad (meaning the entire team will travel (redshirts and all) but only the NCAA limit will dress for the game). The rest will be on the sidelines in travel gear.

Boogs
November 20th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I'd say its pretty clear that he's not surrounded by "crap".

Would you say Richmond quality or Stony Brook-like teammates? xcoffeex

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Would you say Richmond quality or Stony Brook-like teammates? xcoffeex

Nice try, but you won't bait me into setting a lame response about Stony Brook's players.

Boogs
November 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Nice try, but you won't bait me into setting a lame response about Stony Brook's players.

Why not? xcoffeex

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Why not? xcoffeex

1. It's not a smack thread; and
2. Your opinion is already well known; and
3. Your opinion has been deemed by the masses to be off-base and irrelevant.

How's that coffee taste?

dgreco
November 20th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I think Albany is too big for Dayton and that will be the deciding factor.

flyenhigh
November 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Too big for Dayton?? Is this comment serious?

By the way it is interesting to see the lopsided votes that Albany is receiving. This could be for a few reasons:

1) FCS Traditional teams feel as if Albany and NEC is being molded to fit in with the rest

2) Albany has more fans on this board

3) Sick of Dayton fans complaining

4) Albany is bigger

5) Albany has a more difficult schedule

etc etc

Good luck to both but more to UD. Should be one hell of a game.

Boogs
November 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
By the way it is interesting to see the lopsided votes that Albany is receiving. This could be for a few reasons:

6) If you plot on a scatter diagram using the avatars as their location, you'll see a majority from the northeastern region of the US, which I've pissed off earlier in the year with my "Gotta luv you northeasterners" comments.

Hence, the desire to root for Albany. xcoffeex

I, on the other hand, don't care about appeasing this person or that group of people. I don't go with the flow or what public opinion says. I'm a free thinking person. xcoffeex

NEC football sucks.

FCS_Advocacy5
November 20th, 2007, 09:39 PM
6) If you plot on a scatter diagram using the avatars as their location, you'll see a majority from the northeastern region of the US, which I've pissed off earlier in the year with my "Gotta luv you northeasterners" comments.

Hence, the desire to root for Albany. xcoffeex

I, on the other hand, don't care about appeasing this person or that group of people. I don't go with the flow or what public opinion says. I'm a free thinking person. xcoffeex

NEC football sucks.

I was hoping that this thread wouldn't turn into the Northeasterners versus the country boys from Ohio but unfortunately I think it has.

My goal was just to stimulate a non-bias discussion about the game (strengths/weaknesses of each team, best players, etc....) But it is understandable that opinions are going to be given in different ways. :p

Overall I have enjoyed the discussion in here even with the few "my boys are gonna win just becuz" remarks. :D

Lets keep it going!!!

udchuck
November 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Too big for Dayton??? xnonox Don't you know Speed kills.xbawlingx The BIG players will have to catch the jackrabbits on this Dayton team.If I remember right San Diego team averaged 20 -30 lbs heavier than Dayton.Dayton beat SD by about 20 points.xsmiley_wix

Dane96
November 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
How many scholarships are being used at Albany right now? And to how many kids are they distributed? I honestly think that is a non-factor in this game. Albany has there scholarships, and Dayton has their "Academic Merit" awards...... that's pretty much a washxnodx

Key factors:

1. Weather (wet plays into Albany's style of play, and dry helps Dayton)
2. Home field Advantage (crappy surface, travel, fan support)

You are correct sir. Next year will be the year that most everyone on the field will be a full or partial scholarship player. We have 40+ kids on 22 rides...and we redshirt our freshman...so....there ya go.

BlueHen86
November 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM
If he's surrounded by crap (Bradley-Terry rankings) then I would say, yes!

Fixed it for ya.xthumbsupx

JMG1MON
November 21st, 2007, 12:53 AM
Albany, please atone for our pathetic showing last year in the GIC!!!!

GO GREAT DANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

Boogs
November 21st, 2007, 05:12 AM
You are correct sir. Next year will be the year that most everyone on the field will be a full or partial scholarship player. We have 40+ kids on 22 rides...and we redshirt our freshman...so....there ya go.

You keep saying stuff like that each year. And each year, Don and TSN still categorizes you guys as a mid-major. You haven't broken free like Austin Peay.

Used car salesman? xeyebrowx

What evidence can you give us in order for us to believe your claims this time around?

I betcha there will be a Gridiron Classic next year and you'll still be mid-major. Just a hunch.

Boogs
November 21st, 2007, 05:26 AM
Too big for Dayton??? xnonox Don't you know Speed kills.xbawlingx The BIG players will have to catch the jackrabbits on this Dayton team.If I remember right San Diego team averaged 20 -30 lbs heavier than Dayton.Dayton beat SD by about 20 points.xsmiley_wix

Weight: Richmond heavier (lean muscle mass) or Stony Brook heavier (sumo wrestler flab and short stocky guys) playing OT?

Dane96
November 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM
You keep saying stuff like that each year. And each year, Don and TSN still categorizes you guys as a mid-major. You haven't broken free like Austin Peay.

Used car salesman? xeyebrowx

What evidence can you give us in order for us to believe your claims this time around?

I betcha there will be a Gridiron Classic next year and you'll still be mid-major. Just a hunch.

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I dont give a **** what Don Hansen or TSN says-- Albany gives scholarships...and we are at the NEC max next year.

Please...just leave.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Weight: Richmond heavier (lean muscle mass) or Stony Brook heavier (sumo wrestler flab and short stocky guys) playing OT?

Albany's O-line isnt just a bunch of fat guys. They are big, strong, athletic and very good. Albany had a kid (o-line)in Eagles camp this year- he was pretty solid, and they have more just like him.

DetroitFlyer
November 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Albany is going down and going down hard.

GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!!

flyenhigh
November 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
I dont care how many so called scholarships Albany has. Dayton will win.

DetroitFlyer
November 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
We all know that Albany has a slightly above average offensive line. Not even a little worried. Dayton has the second best run defense in all of FCS. Look for Albany's one dimensional offense to stall, and the Flyers superior skill positions to roll.

GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!!!!

Dane96
November 21st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Are you Dayton fans all just a few cards short? WE WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT DAYTON losing because ALBANY had SCHOLARSHIPS.

Your Villiage Idiot Mayor, BOOGS, stated he didnt believe Albany would be at the max of NEC scholarships.

SO I ANSWERED.

Dayton fans need to take a breath, read, and realize they are FIGHTING AGS'ers...instead of spitting VENOM at their AD who:

A) needs to push PATTY V for a playoff auto inclusion like our AD's and Presidents pushed Ratner and Weare; and

B) Get your AD to stop crying about scheduling difficulties-- IT is clear it can get done as long as Dayton is willing to go on the road-- Which they are not

C) With that schedule, win 9-2...and you are going to be SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR AN AT-LARGE BIRTH.

What the **** is the problem with understanding all of this?

All we have heard...all season...is "CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP" by a bunch of little birdies.

Just play the damn games.

Good luck next weekend...and if you win...you are the better team. It should be a good game.

Seawolf97
November 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Are you Dayton fans all just a few cards short? WE WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT DAYTON losing because ALBANY had SCHOLARSHIPS.

Your Villiage Idiot Mayor, BOOGS, stated he didnt believe Albany would be at the max of NEC scholarships.

SO I ANSWERED.

Dayton fans need to take a breath, read, and realize they are FIGHTING AGS'ers...instead of spitting VENOM at their AD who:

A) needs to push PATTY V for a playoff auto inclusion like our AD's and Presidents pushed Ratner and Weare; and

B) Get your AD to stop crying about scheduling difficulties-- IT is clear it can get done as long as Dayton is willing to go on the road-- Which they are not

C) With that schedule, win 9-2...and you are going to be SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR AN AT-LARGE BIRTH.

All we have heard...all season...is "CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP" by a bunch of little birdies.

Good luck next weekend...and if you win...you are the better team. It should be a good game.

Have to agree with my Albany rival. Replace your D-2 schedule with a Youngstown St or maybe a solid CAA team such as Hofstra or Northeastern. Win or look good against those folks and you might have something. Just schedule UP not DOWN. Stonybrook might have had a few more wins if we avoided Youngstown, Richmond and Elon but played them anyway. Makes your program better in the long run.xnodx

Boogs
November 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM

SO I ANSWERED.

1) Groucho Marx: So I'm suppose to believe you instead of my own eyes? Richmond vs. Stony Brook in person for me, and you said Albany is cut from the same mold as Stony Brook earlier this year. Stony Brook had chicken legs for WRs! And tubbies for OTs! Richmond had poster boys for GQ with lots of muscle mass. Stony Brook's trainer was icing down their players unlike what I saw with Rhode Island and New Hampshire. Stony Brook was a waste of admission. At least I paid only $10 to see that massacre.

2) Don and TSN don't know what they are doing when they both have you guys (once again) listed for the 2007 season as a mid-major?

If Albany was beyond mid-major they'd be kicked out of the NEC and be forced to play an independent schedule like Stony Brook. Although I think Stony Brook barely passed whatever bar Don had set for this year.

It's the same ole song from you each year. At least Austin Peay did their business and got off the pot. You (and your program) are just passing gas on the rim and holding up others who need to use the jon.

Dayton shuts out Albany 55-0. xcoffeex

Oh and one more thing, ...if I were in charge you'd be Div. II along with Dayton (sorry fellow Dayton fans and no, that doesn't make me any less of a Flyers fan) and Mount Union. xrulesx

One last thing I'm DAYTON FLYER FOOTBALL FAN, not Boogs!

Boogs
November 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Good luck next weekend...

Luck will have very little to do with Dayton's success. xwhistlex

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
1) Groucho Marx: So I'm suppose to believe you instead of my own eyes? Richmond vs. Stony Brook in person for me, and you said Albany is cut from the same mold as Stony Brook earlier this year. Stony Brook had chicken legs for WRs! And tubbies for OTs! Richmond had poster boys for GQ with lots of muscle mass. Stony Brook's trainer was icing down their players unlike what I saw with Rhode Island and New Hampshire. Stony Brook was a waste of admission. At least I paid only $10 to see that massacre.

You're basing your entire anti-Albany argument on one game? Albany sucks because Richmond beat Stony Brook. Is that what you are saying?xconfusedx

Stony Brook beat Maine
Maine beat Towson
Towson beat Richmond

According to the Bradley Terry rankings, Stony Brook is better than Richmond.

Seawolf97
November 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM
You're basing your entire anti-Albany argument on one game? Albany sucks because Richmond beat Stony Brook. Is that what you are saying?xconfusedx

Stony Brook beat Maine
Maine beat Towson
Towson beat Richmond

The BOOGS Conquering Path just got BOOGSxlolx xlolx

Seawolf97
November 21st, 2007, 07:32 PM
By the way that receiver you like to ridicule is tied for 11th in all FCS in receptions per game and is 18th overall in yards per game. Thats per the NCAA Stats on this board. He final stats were 75 receptions for 962 yards and 6 TD's. I think most coaches would take that.

igo4uni
November 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM
I voted Albany......don't know why.

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM
I voted Albany......don't know why.

maybe it is the bond of purple and yellow?

danefan
November 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM

Stony Brook beat Maine
Maine beat Towson
Towson beat Richmond

xbowx xbowx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx

GOTOREROS
November 21st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Dayton wins and it won't even be close. They have a monster defense and QB Hoyng is going to run and pass all over them. Sorry NEC fans but it looks like 2 in a row for the PFL....

GT

Calif_Colonial
November 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Dayton - Robert Morris 23 - 12

UAlbany - Robert Morris 45 - 17

I will go with UAlbany Great Danes by how each team measured up against the Colonials.

rmutv
November 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Dayton's going to be outmuscled by Albany. Colin Disch will eat up Kevin Hoyng. Dayton has some good speed on offense, but the Great Danes are both physical AND fast on defense.

Dayton's had a good year, but Albany's been cutting their teeth against quality opponents all year long. Dayton will put up a fight because they can score quickly, but they'll be worn down.

McCarty and Omar Johnson will be running at will by the fourth quarter. Sorry Flyers fans, the dream ends against Albany.

WWII
November 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Is this game going to be on television?

Tod
November 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Dayton's going to be outmuscled by Albany. Colin Disch will eat up Kevin Hoyng. Dayton has some good speed on offense, but the Great Danes are both physical AND fast on defense.

Dayton's had a good year, but Albany's been cutting their teeth against quality opponents all year long. Dayton will put up a fight because they can score quickly, but they'll be worn down.

McCarty and Omar Johnson will be running at will by the fourth quarter. Sorry Flyers fans, the dream ends against Albany.

Agreed. I was at the Albany/Griz game and was impressed as hell. Like many Griz games, the final score was not indicative of the battle. Albany is a very good team. While I admit I haven't seen Dayton play this year, I have to choose Albany.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

udchuck
November 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Dayton - Robert Morris 23 - 12

UAlbany - Robert Morris 45 - 17

I will go with UAlbany Great Danes by how each team measured up against the Colonials.

If your going to predict a win by those scores against R.M ,You better rethink your position.xnonox Dayton played R.M. early in the season.The team was learning a new Offence . Just keep in mind after a few games this year the Starters played just about the first half.--The second half by the bench. Most of the games were over by halftime.xcoolx---Now that I think about it the R.M. game was the first game of the season.also it was played AT Robert Morris.

udchuck
November 22nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Is this game going to be on television?

See Post # 49 This Thread.xpeacex

Griz0383
November 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
I was hoping Aulbany would make it to the dance and I am sorry you didn't. Your team was a class act on the field and the fans I met were great. Good luck in the Gridiron classic and finish 9-3. Very respectable

dgreco
November 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
If your going to predict a win by those scores against R.M ,You better rethink your position.xnonox Dayton played R.M. early in the season.The team was learning a new Offence . Just keep in mind after a few games this year the Starters played just about the first half.--The second half by the bench. Most of the games were over by halftime.xcoolx---Now that I think about it the R.M. game was the first game of the season.also it was played AT Robert Morris.

UD had 285 yards of total offense
UA had 377 yards of total offense

UD gave up 280 yards on defense
UA gave up 285 yards on defense.

I still think UA is going to be bigger and quicker than some Flyer fans expect.

Dane96
November 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM

Wanna explain the logic on this one? Don't you think RMU would be getting kinks out as well...making them a better (relative to their potential) team then they were in EARLY season.xoopsx

Calif_Colonial
November 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
Ok, two more common opponents,

Sept. 22 Morehead State scored only 8 points on RMU's defense.

Sept. 29 Morehead State scored 42 points on Dayton's defense.

I will go with the Great Danes.

udchuck
November 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
You Guys just don't understand what I'm trying to say,The point is YOU CAN'T MAKE A PREDICTION ON A GAME,BY ONE COMMON GAME WITH AN OPPONENT.( Too many variables ). It seems more logical too use a whole year IF POSSIBLE. It doesn't matter anyway Dayton will still kick ALBANY'S BUTT.---You can take that to the bank.
I checked Albany's games this year,and saw the High school team's they played . I'm not too impressed.:) ;)

udchuck
November 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Ok, two more common opponents,

Sept. 22 Morehead State scored only 8 points on RMU's defense.

Sept. 29 Morehead State scored 42 points on Dayton's defense.

I will go with the Great Danes.

xsmhx xsmhx What does Morehead State have to do with Albany.It just proves Dayton and RMU played the same Team. On Sept 22 RMU's defense came to play. Morehead States Offense stayed home.
On Sept.29 Morehead States Offense decided to play.
UALBANY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH EITHER GAME.xoopsx xviolinx xbangx

BlueHen86
November 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
You Guys just don't understand what I'm trying to say,The point is YOU CAN'T MAKE A PREDICTION ON A GAME,BY ONE COMMON GAME WITH AN OPPONENT.( Too many variables ). It seems more logical too use a whole year IF POSSIBLE. It doesn't matter anyway Dayton will still kick ALBANY'S BUTT.---You can take that to the bank.
I checked Albany's games this year,and saw the High school team's they played . I'm not too impressed.:) ;)

But you are impressed with the high school teams Dayton played?

Wowxeekx

Albany's "high school teams" can beat up Dayton's "high school teams".:p

FCS_Advocacy5
November 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM
This thread has been very informative and a lot more successful than I had anticipated!!! :D

Suprisingly, it has also shown one thing to me that I hadn't really seen before and that is that the fans of the PFL and NEC are very opinonated and back their teams and conferences 100%!!!

Maybe not making the playoffs isn't so bad after all especially since two of the best teams (easily top 20 teams in the country NO QUESTION) are going to face off DEC. 1st!!!! ;)

udchuck
November 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
But you are impressed with the high school teams Dayton played?

Wowxeekx

Albany's "high school teams" can beat up Dayton's "high school teams".:p

xlolx

udchuck
November 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
This thread has been very informative and a lot more successful than I had anticipated!!! :D

Suprisingly, it has also shown one thing to me that I hadn't really seen before and that is that the fans of the PFL and NEC are very opinonated and back their teams and conferences 100%!!!

Maybe not making the playoffs isn't so bad after all especially since two of the best teams (easily top 20 teams in the country NO QUESTION) are going to face off DEC. 1st!!!! ;)
Yes Sir, Competition between conferences are always Great for both,and always in Fun.:) xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

UAalum72
November 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
xconfusedxWho did you think they'd back?xoopsx

Yes Sir, Competition between conferences are always Great for both,and always in Fun.
IF you really think that, I'd suggest you campaign for YOUR conferences to play only one team in a post-season bowl game and let the NEC and PFL get five or six teams in the playoffs. Wouldn't be so bad, would it?

danefan
November 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM

You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding.

Urbana?
Central State?

or

Montana?
Hofstra?

Please tell me you're kidding.

Seawolf97
November 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM

Montana, Hofstra, Fordham ? HELLO xlolx xlolx

udchuck
November 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
xconfusedxWho did you think they'd back?xoopsx

IF you really think that, I'd suggest you campaign for YOUR conferences to play only one team in a post-season bowl game and let the NEC and PFL get five or six teams in the playoffs. Wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Are you guys in Albany ever happy about anything ?????xbawlingx

udchuck
November 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM

Urbana?
Central State?

or

Montana?
Hofstra?

Now that you bring it up, NO I'm not kidding .:)

danefan
November 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Are you guys in Albany ever happy about anything ?????xbawlingx

We'll be happy when we win a National Championship.xthumbsupx

We're not happy with mediocrity.

udchuck
November 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM

Urbana?
Central State?

or

Montana?
Hofstra?

xlolx Do I detect some tears ???xbawlingx OOOOKKKK I'm just kidding.xcoolx

DetroitFlyer
November 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Does anyone doubt that either Dayton or Albany could have given Delaware a better game than Delaware State? As these first round games unfold, the injustice of leaving out the PFL and NEC champions will become more evident.

I'm certain that the Albany at Dayton game will be one of the best, if not the best FCS post season game this fall. Yes that includes the so called "final" game in TN, you know, the one that determines the CAA, oops maybe I meant FCS champion....

udchuck
November 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=udchuck
I'm just kidding,this should be a great game..xcoolx[/QUOTE]
just kidding

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM
http://oh.weather-forecast.ws/dayton

Early weather forecast:

Friday: Sunny and cold, ( 30's )

Saturday: 38 degrees for a high, 30 degrees for a low. Mostly cloudy, chance of precipitation: 10%

Sunday: Snow showers, chance 60%

So, it will be cold. It might be sunny, partly cloudy or snowing.... We'll see as the week progresses.

Cold weather probably favors Albany's running game. I'm hoping for sunny and 50 degrees, but it is not looking good early in the week....

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Man, 30's on bad turf feels like 10 degrees.

I'm not envious of the guys that have to play this game.

Flyer Gramps
November 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM
The Delaware State performance is the true answer that the playoff selection process is flawed; and for 15 years!

Regarding the Gridiron Classic, I think a true football fan from Albany will be impressed with the play of Dayton Flyers team. There are 32 seniors and 13 of them are 5th year seniors. That's a lot of experience and provides talent depth. Haven't seen that number on many football teams; example, Albany has 15 seniors.

It doesn't sound like you will be impressed with the weather in Dayton.

Flyer Gramps
November 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Man, 30's on bad turf feels like 10 degrees.

I'm not envious of the guys that have to play this game.

Last Saturday a State semi-final game was played at Welcome Stadium between a Cincinnati HS and a Columbus area school. The Cinci fans hate the place and lobbied to get the site changed, even move it to Columbus. They had three threads going on an Ohio HS forum. Even a stadium wrap AFTER THE GAME! Things were singled out that one might never think of. Everything was compared to the best part of any other stadium known to the posters. I've been there twice but never noticed so many shortcomings beyond the turf. It's all the DPS signs that irratate the Flyer faithfull. Dayton Public Schools owns the stadium (not the surrounding property) and the politicians made sure everybody knows it.

Ruler 79
November 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Wind is really what matters most for this gameplan. I absolutly do not want rain, especially on turf. The ball will be already slick if that is the case. If the wind is blowing (like SOME of Dayton's fans) or gusting then that will be a BIG problem for a passing team.

There is no question this will be UA's toughest opponent since Montana, although I doubt they are in the same league as Hofstra or Montana. I think UD has a good team that will present UA problems. I am sure this will be the best defense Dayton has faced. Even if Dayton prevails I doubt it will be by 30 like some of your more annoying posters have predicted.

I do think UA's size on both lines will wear down Dayton. If UA has a typical rushing day that could be a problem for Dayton.

I look forward to the game. I just wish it were on the tellie.

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
It doesn't sound like you will be impressed with the weather in Dayton.

Gramps, you will love this:

Right before we played our DII ECAC playoff game, we had so much snow that the crews were up at the crack of dawn and BARELY got the field cleared of something like 36 inches of snow. They had to bring in dump trucks and front loaders.

The fans that braved the weather had to sit on SNOW BANKS (other than the limited seating that was left.

It was bitter, cold, and tons of snow.

I actually broke off my articular cartilidge underneath my kneecap (WAY BEFORE THEY DID MICROFRACTURE SURGERY) by landing knee to ground on the frozen UNIVERSITY FIELD. The thought I broke my kneecap at first. It was like hitting concrete.

It is serioulsy like a Frozen Tundra once December hits.

Ruler 79
November 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
And we still won! It was like a 99-98 win. NO DEFENSE. That was against southern Conn???? right????

UAalum72
November 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
42-40. Actual snowfall was more like 16", but I remember just before a basketball exhibition the night before there was one guy on a lawn tractor with a plow on it trying to keep up.

It was only Nov. 15. Not as muddy as at American International the next week.

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Correct to both. But the TOTAL accumulation was more than 16 inches...because we got nailed a few days before. Probably not 36...but it was nearly at 30. I was interning for Mike Nelson at the time and he was desperately trying to get fans out for that nasty weather.

The guy on the tractor was actually on an "TURF" machine...it cleans up turf...they retrofitted it with a front loader.

It was pretty ridiculous.

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Albany fans seem to be obsessed with "size". Dayton did not garner the 2nd best run defense in all of FCS because they could not play against "size." Dayton has some good depth on the defensive line. As such, "wearing out" has not been an issue. In fact, I think that Albany's big guys will be worn out by UD's defensive line depth by the end of the game. Look for three to four sacks as the game goes on as well. Albany will gain some yards on the ground, but if you are thinking 200+, I suspect that you will be disappointed.

I think the cold weather will keep it close. At mid-season, on a nice day, I think Dayton's high powered offense would roll over Albany's defense. On a cold December day, the passes will not be as crisp, there will be more dropped balls, and maybe even an interception or two. These factors will tighten up the game a good bit.

Wind at Welcome Stadium can be a huge factor. The wind tends to swirl making it very hard to pass.... I am holding out hope for at least a decent weather day....

As to Dayton stacking up against Montana, Hofstra, or Colgate, I'll just say this.... Let's talk AFTER the game.

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Albany fans seem to be obsessed with "size". Dayton did not garner the 2nd best run defense in all of FCS because they could not play against "size."

Nope...you did it by playing SUB-FCS and SUB-PAR FCS teams. Play Montana, Hofstra, Colgate...in addition to the fordham game you did play...and show me the 2nd best run defense.

You are comical.

I do expect a tough close football game on Saturday...and it is SO FREAKING WEAK that it is not televised.

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The more I read the post...the more I laugh.

Cold days do not affect the passing game, except for receivers hands not feeling so good. Should I go down the list of all cold-weather teams that pass the crap out of the football (Pros and College)?

WINDY DAYS AFFECT PASSING GAMES!

You predict 3-4 sacks? WOW...what a leap of faith-- those numbers are typical...not impressive, especially with the multiple offense we run. DEPTH? You do know our O-Line played Montana, Hofstra (twic), Colgate, Fordham (twic), Lehigh, Delaware, et al, in the past two years. We had depth for those games.

You do realize we rotate about 7-8 guys...CONSISTANTLY on the O-Line?

Flyer Gramps
November 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Great Dane, the grandkids say my story about the Thanksgiving eve snow of 1950 keeps getting deeper and deeper just like your story. We were off school a week and it was a good thing because we walked 3 miles to school, uphill, both ways!

Both you and the Michigander have good points. All I can add is that Dayton was outsized many times, they have a lot of depth too and that experience thing with 32 seniors.

As I've said on high school forums, just because a team HAD to play some sub-standard opponents on the schedule doesn't mean they are not good. Better to look at how they did agaist the best opponents. The Flyers will be a worthy opponent for Albany.

BTW, I reported at another time that when flying into Albany's airport, one will see more backyard swimming pools than anywhere. Remember to winterize yours before leaving for Ohio. xlolx

Ruler 79
November 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
No one is obsessed with size, It is MY OPINION that our size advantage will be a deciding factor, not neccessarily fact. I think you as a fan realize that UA is coming and not Central tate nowhere University with their fat slow lineman. You have played inferior competition with the exception of SD. Dayton will play UA tough no question about it. Try and see my point of view....you sound pretty nervous to me.

Can UA lose to Dayton? Sure they can. I don't think they will because of my earlier post. It also sounds to me like you are making bad weather excuses already.

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
No one is obsessed with size, It is MY OPINION that our size advantage will be a deciding factor, not neccessarily fact. I think you as a fan realize that UA is coming and not Central tate nowhere University with their fat slow lineman. You have played inferior competition with the exception of SD. Dayton will play UA tough no question about it. Try and see my point of view....you sound pretty nervous to me.

Can UA lose to Dayton? Sure they can. I don't think they will because of my earlier post. It also sounds to me like you are making bad weather excuses already.

I am very confident that Dayton wins this game. I have only tried to point out a few things that might give Albany a glimmer of hope. Losing to Montana, Hofstra and Colgate did nothing to help Albany prepare for Dayton other than to get Albany used to losing!:D Albany has not played a team as balanced as Dayton this year. I hope that Albany can make a game of it, and keep it interesting, but in the end, Dayton will win the Gridiron Classic and the PFL will rule the NEC two years in a row!xthumbsupx

Ruler 79
November 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL! yeah you may win but you will always be non scholarship and I know that burns your A$$!

I am officially done!

udchuck
November 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL! yeah you may win but you will always be non scholarship and I know that burns your A$$!

I am officially done!

xlolx You were done when you started. UALBANY Played a Tough Schedule ??? You're a Joke, St.Mary's ,??xlolx The sisters of the Poor,??? xlolx 3 other high School Teams.??xlolx --You're right, Done xcoolx xwhistlex

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 01:32 PM
xlolx You were done when you started. UALBANY Played a Tough Schedule ??? You're a Joke, St.Mary's ,??xlolx The sisters of the Poor,??? xlolx 3 other high School Teams.??xlolx --You're right, Done xcoolx xwhistlex

I'm not really sure what you're talking about?

Have you looked at our schedule? Serious question. You keep harping on the schedule. Have you seriously looked at our schedule?

udchuck
November 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I'm not really sure what you're talking about?

Have you looked at our schedule? Serious question. You keep harping on the schedule. Have you seriously looked at our schedule?

xnonox Ruler 79,is harping on OUR Schedule, and yes I did look at your schedule, Not too impressive,you did play some decent Teams. But Dayton being a Non Scolly Team , we seem to do alright. We will showup for the game with our mediocre team( as ruler 79 seems to think) and we will give you a Game you will not forget.xcoffeex xpeacex

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
xnonox Ruler 79,is harping on OUR Schedule, and yes I did look at your schedule, Not too impressive,you did play some decent Teams. But Dayton being a Non Scolly Team , we seem to do alright. We will showup for the game with our mediocre team( as ruler 79 seems to think) and we will give you a Game you will not forget.xcoffeex xpeacex

Your schedule deserves to be harped on. You have two sub-DI games against schools that were not even successful at their respective levels. Urbana (6-5 NAIA) and Central State (5-6 DIII). Your schedule is also the reason you are in this game instead of the playoffs. It doesn't seem that any Dayton fans (except DetroitFlyer) really care about that though.xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Best QB Albany will have faced all year:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/dayt/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1407110.jpeg

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/dayt/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1407110.jpeg

Wow! Just look at that release.... Kevin may "only" be 6' tall, but he plays like 6' 5"! OK, a bit of an over statement, but he his an amazing QB. Strong arm, quick feet, extremely athletic, and SMART! He has nine interceptions this year, but most of those were balls the receivers should have caught, ( as in bounced off their chest, pads, etc. ). I can only remember maybe two to three that were "bad" interceptions. Kevin is actually very similar to Josh Johnson. When the defense does a good job in coverage, Kevin burns you with his feet, ( leading rusher this year at UD ). If Kevin has a good day, UD will score points. Add in a defense that is very good against the run, and Dayton should have a good day!

Ruler 79
November 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a MANCRUSH! LOL...now I am really done...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Sounds like a MANCRUSH! LOL...now I am really done...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh man, your killing me....xlolx

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 03:10 PM

And this...does worry me. Our weakness is the underbelly of the secondary...15 yard patterns undeneath the zone. We have been picked apart by less of a quarterback than HYONG.

This...is where Dayton wins the game, if they do come out with the W.

G-d...i just agreed with SYNTAX!

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Between him and Cole Bergquist. We'll know for sure after saturday. No doubt Hoyng is a great QB. The Albany defensive scheme has had a pretty consistent weak spot for the past 10 years (10-15 yard sit down down routes over the middle). If Dayton can exploit that it will be interesting.

Should be a great game.

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Dane96 types 3 minutes faster than me.

Ruler 79
November 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Agreed Dane 96. He very well could be the best QB UA has faced. The front 7 will need to bring it.

I like our chances with Colin Disch. Probably one of the best LB's in the country at the FCS level. He could play for anyone at this level. With a little more speed could be at the next level. I see Canada not the NFL when he is done.

DetroitFlyer
November 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
You may have just noticed that Josh Johnson was just named a finalist for the Payton award. Based on the other two finalists, I'd say he has an excellent chance of earning the award this year! So what you say, what does this have to do with the Gridiron Classic?

Well, the PFL offensive player of the year was of course....

KEVIN HOYNG!!!!

Kevin Hoyng beat out the likely winner of the Payton Award for PFL offensive player of the year!

Oh yeah, Kevin Hoyng is the QB that Albany will face in the Gridiron Classic!

http://www.pioneer-football.org/article.asp?articleid=89156

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 04:11 PM
You may have just noticed that Josh Johnson was just named a finalist for the Payton award. Based on the other two finalists, I'd say he has an excellent chance of earning the award this year! So what you say, what does this have to do with the Gridiron Classic?

Well, the PFL offensive player of the year was of course....

KEVIN HOYNG!!!!

Kevin Hoyng beat out the likely winner of the Payton Award for PFL offensive player of the year!

Oh yeah, Kevin Hoyng is the QB that Albany will face in the Gridiron Classic!

http://www.pioneer-football.org/article.asp?articleid=89156

Nobody is arguing that Hyong isn't a great QB. And I wouldn't bet any $$ on Johnson winning the Payton. Great QB, but the kid from GSU had a ridiculous year against much harder competition week-in and week-out.

udchuck
November 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Your schedule deserves to be harped on. You have two sub-DI games against schools that were not even successful at their respective levels. Urbana (6-5 NAIA) and Central State (5-6 DIII). Your schedule is also the reason you are in this game instead of the playoffs. It doesn't seem that any Dayton fans (except DetroitFlyer) really care about that though.xcoffeex

You are correct, Urbana and Central State were games to fill the schedule much to our dismay.NOBODY LIKED IT,NOT EVEN THE PLAYERS.but hey we were able to experiment on a few things.( My observation,and what I've heard )--D1 non scolly would never go to the playoffs.xcoolx

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 04:34 PM
You are correct, Urbana and Central State were games to fill the schedule much to our dismay.NOBODY LIKED IT,NOT EVEN THE PLAYERS.but hey we were able to experiment on a few things.( My observation,and what I've heard )--D1 non scolly would never go to the playoffs.xcoolx

Someone had to like or the schedule wouldn't have been made. Schedules don't appear from the sky.

Uphill battle to get in the playoffs for a non-scholly team - yes. Absolute - no.

Schedule a tough OOC slate and win and scholarship or not, you'll be in.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Best LB Dayton will have faced all year:
http://www.ualbanysports.com//pics30/640/NM/NMMJAEAPOLDSVSP.20070831185234.jpg

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Nice. I love the non-biased picture posting.xthumbsupx

udchuck
November 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Someone had to like or the schedule wouldn't have been made. Schedules don't appear from the sky.

Uphill battle to get in the playoffs for a non-scholly team - yes. Absolute - no.

Schedule a tough OOC slate and win and scholarship or not, you'll be in.

xbangx Comeon Guy,AD's and Coaches make out the schedules. Politics between them.------THE FANS DON'T,THE PLAYERS DON'T, --- xnonono2x

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
xbangx Comeon Guy,AD's and Coaches make out the schedules. Politics between them.------THE FANS DON'T,THE PLAYERS DON'T, --- xnonono2x

You said "nobody liked it, not even the players".

Sounds to me like you were saying that the coaches, admins and players disliked the schedule. Of course I know the AD's and Coaches make the schedules. That is what I was telling you. xpeacex

udchuck
November 26th, 2007, 05:38 PM
You said "nobody liked it, not even the players".

Sounds to me like you were saying that the coaches, admins and players disliked the schedule. Of course I know the AD's and Coaches make the schedules. That is what I was telling you. xpeacex

xbangx I give up,your hopeless.enjoy the game.

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Nope...he is just used to using facts-- Something UD fans hate when it comes to the schedule issue.

USDFAN_55
November 26th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Is this thread even about the game anymore? I think this is going to get moved to the smack board if we don't stay on topic here.

So are there any key injuries that may be a factor in this game? How's the turnout for the Albany fans going to be? Who's going to the game?

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 06:02 PM
doesn't Disch look like he is about 12 years old in the face? :)

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM
doesn't Disch look like he is about 12 years old in the face? :)

Haha. he does. xlolx

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Is this thread even about the game anymore? I think this is going to get moved to the smack board if we don't stay on topic here.
Agreed. Back on topic.

So are there any key injuries that may be a factor in this game? How's the turnout for the Albany fans going to be? Who's going to the game?

No key injuries for the Danes that I know about. We had a few chippy injuries late in the season, but with two weeks to heal they should be all set.

I think the time off between games with be something to deal with for both teams. Albany only has had two weeks, so you would assume it was treated as a bye-week. Dayton with three weeks off may be a little rusty. It has to be hard to be in sync after three weeks off. You can only practice so much before players get bored.

danefan
November 26th, 2007, 06:23 PM
As for the traveling UA fans...I would suspect only family and friends will be there. We have our bitter cross-town rivalry game in basketball on saturday and most UA athletics fans will be in attendance there instead of on the road to Dayton. Darn shame its not going to be televised.

Will it be on the CSTV.com webcast again?

BobbyMo
November 26th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I am suprised AGS Albany fans will not be making the trip. I understand there is a b-ball game with a rival, but come on. This is FOOTBALL. Also, any Dayton fans tailgating? and what is the tailgating like?

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM
You have NO COMPRHENSION WHAT THIS GAME IS ABOUT- The hoop game is a BLOOD WAR. Believe me, the football kids probably wish they were flying so they could come back and watch the game!

In less than 16 hours, there have been probably 12 threads on 4 boards about the SIENA-ALBANY game.

TO add gas to the flames, our HEAD COACH said that the series will not continue unless Siena makes it more equitable. Right now they give Albany 1000 seats to make a profit on...in a 15k seat arena. They keep the profits for the other 14k seats.

Mind you, it is a PUBLIC ARENA...and not owned by Siena.

They refuse to play us in a home and home.

WE HATE EACH OTHER!

BobbyMo
November 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
You have NO COMPRHENSION WHAT THIS GAME IS ABOUT- The hoop game is a BLOOD WAR. Believe me, the football kids probably wish they were flying so they could come back and watch the game!

In less than 16 hours, there have been probably 12 threads on 4 boards about the SIENA-ALBANY game.

TO add gas to the flames, our HEAD COACH said that the series will not continue unless Siena makes it more equitable. Right now they give Albany 1000 seats to make a profit on...in a 15k seat arena. They keep the profits for the other 14k seats.

WE HATE EACH OTHER!

football > basketball xnodx

Dane96
November 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I agree...but not with this. Think Hatfields-McCoys!

DetroitFlyer
November 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I am suprised AGS Albany fans will not be making the trip. I understand there is a b-ball game with a rival, but come on. This is FOOTBALL. Also, any Dayton fans tailgating? and what is the tailgating like?

The University is holding a tailgate inside, over at the UD Arena next door for this game. This is a first as far as I know.... The cost for the indoor tailgate is $10.00. I understand that the fee covers food and soft drinks, but beer is extra. For the first time in many years, UD set up a tent and held a tailgate for the public. For the tent, the cost was $5.00. That covered food and soft drinks, beer was extra.... I did not attend the public tailgate as our Flyers Club runs a tailgate for $5.00 which includes food, soft drinks and beer! Of course there are numerous private tailgates going on as well on the UD side....

On the visitior's side, it seemed to depend on the team. Davidson and Butler fans seemed to have pretty good tailgates going at UD this year. Butler's really seemed to be a well attended affair! I stopped by the Davidson tailgate and met some of the fans. I did not get to stop at any of the Butler tailgates.

Having been to Robert Morris this year, I would say that typically we have more tailgating going on at Dayton. But.... The parking lot around Welcome Stadium is huge and the home and visitor's sides are well separated, so the tailgating is kind of spread out.... I actually liked the set-up at Robert Morris, it made it very easy to walk through and say hi to both the home and visiting fans!

I would say this, if you are inclined to tailgate, go for it!xthumbsupx

danefan
November 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Games Notes are up at UAlbanysports.com

http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/5065.pdf

DetroitFlyer
November 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM
OK fans, it is the Thursday before "The Game". After all of our blustering, posturing, bragging, etc., let's make some actual predictions on the final score. Will it be close, will it be a blowout, let's see your "official" predictions!

Of course I'll have to weigh in.... So far, the weather is looking favorable for the Flyers. So I see Dayton scoring at least 35 points. Albany? I think they put up some points as well, most running, and some passing, ( Albany's coach will have the Danes ready to play ).

So....

Dayton - 35

Albany - 24

GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!!!

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2007, 08:47 AM

WE HATE EACH OTHER!

Why does Siena think they are so superior? Albany is a better school and will be much better than then in all sports in due time.

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Why does Siena think they are so superior? Albany is a better school and will be much better than then in all sports in due time.

haha. Exactly.

We continuously refer to them as a one-trick pony. We dominate them in every other sport (except Volleyball where we are about even). Yet they seem to think they have the best athletic program in the world.

Its what makes this rivalry so heated. Its complete old vs. new, small private vs. large state school, etc..... Its just great but its unfortunate that the basketball game is the same day as the gridiron classic.

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Now for my prediction.

Weather is looking to be a non-factor (cloudy and in the low 40's).

I'd say Albany in a close one and only because of Dayton's three-week layoff. Its hard to keep kids focused for three weeks without a game.

Albany - 31
Dayton - 28

Seahawks Fan
November 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Forget about the weather.

Albany 24
Dayton 14

xthumbsupx

udchuck
November 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Now for my prediction.

Weather is looking to be a non-factor (cloudy and in the low 40's).

I'd say Albany in a close one and only because of Dayton's three-week layoff. Its hard to keep kids focused for three weeks without a game.

Albany - 31
Dayton - 28

xlolx Albany won't score 31 points in 3 games.xwhistlex
Dayton - 27
Albany - 13 xcoolx :p

Dec 1

Sunshine giving way to clouds

H 43°

L 38°

Win or Lose, It should be a Great Game. All in All, it was great fun,kidding you Albany Fans. You have a Super Uni.there in NY. I just hope you guys make it to Sunny Dayton.

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
xlolx Albany won't score 31 points in 3 games.xwhistlex
Dayton - 27
Albany - 13 xcoolx :p

You do realize that 13 x 3 is greater than 31

UAalum72
November 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
And the only offense to score more than 21 against Albany this year was Montana. If the Danes don't give up another kickoff return, I don't see Dayton scoring over 20.

Albany 27, UD 17

udchuck
November 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM
You do realize that 13 x 3 is greater than 31

Who said Albany was going to score 13 each in the other 2 games ?? It might be 13 TOTAL IN THE NEXT 2 games.xrolleyesx That comes to 26xlolx xsmiley_wix

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM
As posted on the BPF by Alum72 - Albany will have all 44 in the two deep completely healthy. Same 22 starters that started against Colgate in week 1.

http://www.ualbanysports.com//pics29/400/PF/PFZNRNFTOKTKXFR.20071129153921.jpg

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Press releases:

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=1329538

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2007/11/26/FB-GridironClassicPre-07.asp?DB_OEM_ID=15800&path=fball

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Updated link for gamenotes. Not sure why it changed:

http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/5074.pdf

DetroitFlyer
November 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
http://www.faniq.com/sports/ncaaf/picks-predictions-contest

I stumbled across this site while I was looking for a line.... On this site, Dayton is favored by 3.5! It must be a good site, as the majority of folks have picked the Flyers to win!xthumbsupx

UAalum72
November 29th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I stumbled across this site while I was looking for a line.... On this site, Dayton is favored by 3.5! It must be a good site, as the majority of folks have picked the Flyers to win!xthumbsupx
Yeah, I always trust a site that shows Albany-Dayton as '2nd round, FCS playoffs' and caters to gambling addicts.

Seahawks Fan
November 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I always trust a site that shows Albany-Dayton as '2nd round, FCS playoffs' and caters to gambling addicts.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

udchuck
November 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM

xlolx WOW,Come on UAalum72,--Who can be Holier than thou.?? xlolx I bow to thee,you being a non gambler,holy,non sinner.xrolleyesx I just wish I was as pure as you.xcoffeex xbowx

UAalum72
November 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
xlolx WOW,Come on UAalum72,--Who can be Holier than thou.?? xlolx I bow to thee,you being a non gambler,holy,non sinner.xrolleyesx I just wish I was as pure as you.xcoffeex xbowx
Hardly. I have my vices, though my gambling's limited to lotto tickets and the NCAA and Super Bowl pools.

I just wouldn't trust the judgement of somebody who's worried about the over/under on a Dayton football game.

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Wow, that's the weirdest site I've seen in a long time.

udchuck
November 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hardly. I have my vices, though my gambling's limited to lotto tickets and the NCAA and Super Bowl pools.

I just wouldn't trust the judgement of somebody who's worried about the over/under on a Dayton football game.

Just where does the over/under on the game have any bearing on the post by Detroit flyer ?????? xconfusedx And just WHO is worried about the over/under.??xconfusedx I'm just curious.xoopsx

udchuck
November 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Hey,Let just enjoy the game.If you want to be stupid and buy lotto tickets thats your business.xbeerchugx xarguex

UAalum72
November 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Just where does the over/under on the game have any bearing on the post by Detroit flyer ?????? xconfusedx And just WHO is worried about the over/under.??xconfusedx .
(typing slowly so you can understand) Dayton Flyer said he liked the site because the majority picked Dayton. If you click on results you can see that 148 voted to pick the winner, and slightly above half that voted on who would beat the spread and on both teams combined score. Sounds hard-core to me. Those are people I wouldn't take advice from.

As for my lotto tickets, few vices are wise or logical, but most of us have them.

You're not still another alias of Booger and Dayton Flyer Football Fan, are you?

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Speaking of which......where is Mr. Boogs?

We only need one more person to say his name and he shall appear!

DetroitFlyer
November 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Speaking of which......where is Mr. Boogs?

We only need one more person to say his name and he shall appear!

Please, I beg you, do not encourage him....

flyenhigh
November 29th, 2007, 04:03 PM

That site is actually a half way decent betting site.

What is interesting but not all that surprising is the fact that the game is mentioned as a second round FCS game. Once again proving that the majority of the football world has no clue about this mid major/full blown FCS system. Confusion or not Dayton should win this battle at home. I am concerned that UD has been off for 3 weeks so hopefully they can keep it close in the first Q and then open things up as the team gets back into sync. Whoever wins it should be a battle.

udchuck
November 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM
(typing slowly so you can understand) Dayton Flyer said he liked the site because the majority picked Dayton. If you click on results you can see that 148 voted to pick the winner, and slightly above half that voted on who would beat the spread and on both teams combined score. Sounds hard-core to me. Those are people I wouldn't take advice from.

As for my lotto tickets, few vices are wise or logical, but most of us have them.

You're not still another alias of Booger and Dayton Flyer Football Fan, are you?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xarguex xarguex xlolx xlolx

flyenhigh
November 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I will say this about the Albany football program, Bob Ford is the man. Not only is he the man he is a polite and true gentleman that I truly respect.

Let the best team win.xbeerchugx

Dane96
November 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Cheers to that!

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Nice article on two of the legendary coaches of FCS:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2007/11/28/ddn112907udfb.html

DAYTON — Bob Ford and Mike Kelly have been college football head coaches in a combined 687 games.
That's closing in on two years of game days.
"That's a lot of Saturdays," Kelly said. "Both of us have called a lot of plays and made a lot of decisions."
Kelly, the University of Dayton coach, couldn't resist tweaking the older Albany coach during a conference call.
"I just asked Bob simply, I said, 'Bob, now that you've hit 70, do you need a wheelchair or should we have a cane for you?' " Kelly said Wednesday as UD prepared for Saturday's Gridiron Classic at Welcome Stadium. "I said, 'Don't you dare use that in your pregame talk with your players.' He kind of chuckled. We're pretty good friends."
Ford laughed: "Mike was busting me a little bit."
The two longtime coaches have spent time together at coaches association events and have a mutual respect.

danefan
November 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Coulson picking Dayton 27-24.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4115061.htm

Dayton has had a great season (as evidenced by the nation rankings in numbers). I don't know how much those numbers are skewed by a weak out of conference schedule. NEC teams used to be ranked very high because of weak OOC schedules. When you play tougher teams you statistical rankings go down.

I'm still taking the Danes in a close one.

Seahawks Fan
November 30th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Where is the little booger? xconfusedx xconfusedx xlolx xlolx

danefan
November 30th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Oh he'll be here soon enough I'm sure.

He's just perfecting his Terry Bradshaw rankings system to show that Dayton will beat Albany by 150 points.

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Game notes from the UD Website:

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112907aab.html

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/dayt/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/AlbanyGameNotes

danefan
November 30th, 2007, 12:36 PM
ESPN.com statistical comparison:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=273352168&confId=81

One that stood out to me:

Record in close games (less than 7 points) since 2001:
Dayton 3-4
Albany 8-10

Does Dayton know how to play in close games? With only 7 close games in 7 years?

Just trying to start some conversation here........xcoffeex

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM
UA may be in the NEC, but, in reality, they have evolved well past the typical profile of a team from that conference. Their OOC matchups are just one inkling of where they are headed. Sorry, Dayton, but it will likely be a long day for your Flyers. Albany 42, Dayton 14. On top of all else, how can anyone not be pulling for the venerable Bob Ford?

Dane96
November 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I could only hope for that score, but I think:

Albany 28
Dayton 23

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2007, 01:19 PM
UA may be in the NEC, but, in reality, they have evolved well past the typical profile of a team from that conference. Their OOC matchups are just one inkling of where they are headed. Sorry, Dayton, but it will likely be a long day for your Flyers. Albany 42, Dayton 14. On top of all else, how can anyone not be pulling for the venerable Bob Ford?

Sounds like that East Coast Bias thing I am always hearing about....xlolx Those of us in the Midwest are pulling for the venerable Mike Kelly!

As for close games.... I clearly remember our loss to Yale in Dayton.... Driving for the tying TD, on the Yale 6 yard line or something like that, time running out.... We had a broken play, fumbled, game over.... Lost by seven.... Bummer.

It will be interesting if it is close tomorrow....

udchuck
November 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Just 2 Things,---First,I wish you were a gambling man.--Second, I wish I could meet you at the game. :( Easy money to be made and can't make the connection,what a shame :( xbawlingx )

DetroitFlyer
December 1st, 2007, 07:27 AM
Game day! Sunny and 21 degres in Northwest, OH on our way to the game.

GO FLYERS!!!!

danefan
December 1st, 2007, 07:56 AM
Woohoo!

Sunny and 24 in Albany with a windchill of 9! Its cold.

Good luck to both teams!

flyenhigh
December 1st, 2007, 09:34 AM
GAME DAY!!! SEE YOU ALL AT THE FINISH LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xshakingmadx

FCSFAN
December 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Audio:
http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?station=WHIO_AM&headertext=1290%20WHIO

Flyer audio:
rtsp://real.udayton.edu/encoder/flyerlive.rm

Gametracker:
http://ncaasports.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mfootbl.html?event=627481&school=ncaa&sport=mfootbl

Watch free:
http://all-access.cstv.com/cstv/player/player.html?code=dayt&sport=m-footbl&category=live&media=51001

DetroitFlyer
December 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM
Live from the Time Warner Flight Deck at UD Arena....

I can see the teams on the field. Sunny, about 30 degrees. Not too windy. Should be a great day for football! I saw a few Albany fans tailgaiting.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Sounds like that East Coast Bias thing I am always hearing about....xlolx Those of us in the Midwest are pulling for the venerable Mike Kelly!

As for close games.... I clearly remember our loss to Yale in Dayton.... Driving for the tying TD, on the Yale 6 yard line or something like that, time running out.... We had a broken play, fumbled, game over.... Lost by seven.... Bummer.

It will be interesting if it is close tomorrow....

Game over -- Shows you what I know. Great performance by Dayton. Congrats on a BIG win! I'll keep my mouth shut from now on! (But, I am still a huge fan of Bob Ford! xsmiley_wix )

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
Just 2 Things,---First,I wish you were a gambling man.--Second, I wish I could meet you at the game. :( Easy money to be made and can't make the connection,what a shame :( xbawlingx )

It is a good thing I am not a gambling man! Wow, what domination by the Flyers. Congratulations and, yes, I will shut up from now on since I clearly have no clue -- Great win! xthumbsupx

Boogs
December 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
Albany lost with scholarship players.

NEC schools should not even be considered in any shape or form to be in the FCS playoffs.

GOTOREROS
December 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
So two years of complete DOMINATION by the PFL over the NEC. When are some of you going to learn.......

Tod
December 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Congrats to Dayton on a dominating win over a quality Albany team. I must admit I thought Albany would win this one. Shows how little I know. :o :o :o

Congrats DAYTON!!!

DUPFLFan
December 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM

NEC schools should not even be considered in any shape or form to be in the FCS playoffs.

Boogs... did you ever consider that maybe the PFL is stronger than you all thought????xeekx

Probably not... That's why the OVC gets two bids even though Sagrin had the PFL as stronger.....xmadx

Fordham
December 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Congrats Dayton.

I had no idea which way this one would go but didn't expect it to be a convincing win by either. Tremendous job Flyers.

MiamiTorero
December 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
I have an idea... maybe the NEC should give more scholarship than they do now. They might have a chance against the "weak" non scholly PFL.

flyenhigh
December 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Some stats that really stand out to me:

Dayton- first downs 31
Albany- first downs 10

Dayton- 3rd down efficiency 12-18
Albany- 3rd down efficiency 2-10

Dayton- Total Yds 479
Albany- Total Yds 259

Dayton- Possession 41:03
Albany- Possession 18:57

Kevin Hoyng- 34/45 316yds, 3 TD's, 0 int
David McCarty- 134 yds, 2 TD's, long run was 63 yds

It is very obvious to even a blind man that Dayton won every battle in this game. Nothing was left on the field, nothing was left to argue about. Dayton was the clear champ. Now I can only hope that Dayton will get some respect from the NEC along with a majority of the FCS world. It is all about respect...give it up baby!!

Albany fans it was a fun year and best of luck to you guys next year. I am sure you guys will continue to improve. Congrats to all.

flyenhigh
December 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM

That is a stupid comment.

Calif_Colonial
December 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Some stats that really stand out to me:

Dayton- first downs 31
Albany- first downs 10

Dayton- 3rd down efficiency 12-18
Albany- 3rd down efficiency 2-10

Dayton- Total Yds 479
Albany- Total Yds 259

Dayton- Possession 41:03
Albany- Possession 18:57

Kevin Hoyng- 34/45 316yds, 3 TD's, 0 int
David McCarty- 134 yds, 2 TD's, long run was 63 yds

It is very obvious to even a blind man that Dayton won every battle in this game. Nothing was left on the field, nothing was left to argue about. Dayton was the clear champ. Now I can only hope that Dayton will get some respect from the NEC along with a majority of the FCS world. It is all about respect...give it up baby!!

Albany fans it was a fun year and best of luck to you guys next year. I am sure you guys will continue to improve. Congrats to all.

Dayton Flyers have been getting respect from the NEC since 1996. xthumbsupx I know that the Flyers are on the plus side of the win loss ratio when it comes to playing NEC teams. The Flyers have had only a couple of down years in the last 10 years. What is not to like about Mike Kelly's teams.

chrebet87
December 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
Where is the gridiron classic every year?

FCS_Advocacy5
December 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Where is the gridiron classic every year?

It rotates from year to year. Last year it was at Monmouth. This year it was at Dayton. Not sure which league winner site it is at next year....

GOTOREROS
December 1st, 2007, 05:56 PM
It rotates from year to year. Last year it was at Monmouth. This year it was at Dayton. Not sure which league winner site it is at next year....

There is no future agreement in place as the agreement was for an inital two years. Not sure the NEC wants to continue playing the PFL at this point, but I think its a great game which should be continued! xthumbsupx

Flyer Gramps
December 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
There is no future agreement in place as the agreement was for an inital two years. Not sure the NEC wants to continue playing the PFL at this point, but I think its a great game which should be continued! xthumbsupx

I heard it had another 2 years!

udchuck
December 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Woohoo!

Sunny and 24 in Albany with a windchill of 9! Its cold.

Good luck to both teams!

danefan, Where are you,?? Come out,come out,where ever you are.xwhistlex
I was at the game,I will say this,Your running Back is one sure Stud.Wow xthumbsupx Good luck, UAlbany. Hopefully we can play each other next year.xthumbsupx

GOTOREROS
December 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM
I heard it had another 2 years!

Maybe I have old info - my understanding was that the NEC was going scholarship route so they didn't want to tie into this game for too much longer. Hopefully I am wrong......

Dane96
December 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
I dont have the energy-- Long day of driving, but I wanted to send Congrats to Dayton. Great team...great game.

You exposed our 15 year weakness- Our secondary. Last year we had an NFL'er back there...and it was an aberration year.

It is something I hope the coaching staff improves on because at this level...a kid like Hoyng is just going to toy with our secondary.

Good luck in your offseason! Again, Congrats DAYTON!

TheValleyRaider
December 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM

As interesting as it is to see the two champions in a postseason game like that, in the long run I think it's in the best interest of the PFL and NEC to not play this game, as it can potentially keep borderline playoff participants out of the postseason seeing as they already have a game. I realize that seems a bit of a Catch-22, dropping your one guaranteed postseason game for a shot at a very unguaranteed one. In the grand scheme of things, I think, if the goal of both conferences is to make the playoffs, it would be better if you didn't have the Gridiron Classic as a fall-back xtwocentsx xpeacex

That being said, Congrats to Dayton on a great win xsmileyclapx

Model Citizen
December 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=TheValleyRaider;777899...it's in the best interest of the PFL and NEC to not play this game, as it can potentially keep borderline playoff participants out of the postseason seeing as they already have a game.[/QUOTE]

Some will undoubtedly pile that one on to other excuses for not putting them in the playoffs. However, we should remember that no PFL team was invited for the 13 seasons prior to the Gridiron Classic. That included a couple of years when Dayton was ranked in a final poll, about where they're ranked now.

BTW, I have an old email from the NEC commissioner that the Grid Classic agreement was extended last summer to go through 2009. I guess they could change their minds, but I think we're doing another two years.

Model Citizen
December 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
oh, yeah. Congratulations to Dayton.

danefan
December 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
danefan, Where are you,?? Come out,come out,where ever you are.xwhistlex
I was at the game,I will say this,Your running Back is one sure Stud.Wow xthumbsupx Good luck, UAlbany. Hopefully we can play each other next year.xthumbsupx

Just got a chance to get in front of a computer. Wooo, what an arse-whoopin the Danes took! I didn't watch the game (my travel plans got all screwed up yesterday), but from what people said, we played the worst we played all season. Completely dominated.

Congrats to Dayton. xthumbsupx

danefan
December 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
As interesting as it is to see the two champions in a postseason game like that, in the long run I think it's in the best interest of the PFL and NEC to not play this game, as it can potentially keep borderline playoff participants out of the postseason seeing as they already have a game. I realize that seems a bit of a Catch-22, dropping your one guaranteed postseason game for a shot at a very unguaranteed one. In the grand scheme of things, I think, if the goal of both conferences is to make the playoffs, it would be better if you didn't have the Gridiron Classic as a fall-back xtwocentsx xpeacex

That being said, Congrats to Dayton on a great win xsmileyclapx

I completely agree and I've said this from the day this game was agreed to. Its a complete waste of time (moreso of course when you get whooped!). But it doesn't do anything for Dayton's program either. Absolutely nothing.

I hope the don't extend the series and my feeling has nothing to do with the fact that the NEC is 0-2. Either make the playoffs or go home for thanksgiving dinner. Plain and simple.xthumbsupx

udchuck
December 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
I completely agree and I've said this from the day this game was agreed to. Its a complete waste of time (moreso of course when you get whooped!). But it doesn't do anything for Dayton's program either. Absolutely nothing.

I hope the don't extend the series and my feeling has nothing to do with the fact that the NEC is 0-2. Either make the playoffs or go home for thanksgiving dinner. Plain and simple.xthumbsupx

Lets face it the NEC and PFL does not get any respect from the College Football Media, This game is somewhat a [ Better than nothing] game??
I wouldn't say ,[ A complete waste of time ] however. It does mean quite a bit to the players.xthumbsupx

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
OK, Flyers. Who's working on the application to join the Patriot League for football?

Model Citizen
December 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Assuming Patriot football wanted a member from southern Ohio, would Dayton want to lose an additional $2 million a year for equivalencies? I doubt it. For whatever reason, the Patriot title comes with a playoff bid, but the playoffs are not worth $2 mil a year.

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
The Gridiron Classic was renewed for 2008 and 2009.

flyenhigh
December 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
DAYTON, Ohio - Kevin Hoyng threw for 316 yards and three touchdowns as Dayton scored 28 points in the second half to beat Albany, 42-21 in the 2007 Gridiron Classic on Saturday at a cold and windy Welcome Stadium. The Gridiron Classic is a post-season bowl game matching up the champions of the Pioneer Football League and the Northeastern Conference.

The PFL champion Flyers (11-1) out-gained NEC champion Great Danes (8-4) 473-259 on the strength of an MVP performance by Hoyng who was playing in his final game for UD.

The senior quarterback was named the games Most Outstanding Player by going 34-for-45 for 316 passing with three touchdowns including a pair to classmate Matt Champa to pace a Flyer offense that ran 90 plays to the opposition's 45. Hoyng also caught an eight-yard touchdown pass when he slipped out into the left flat on what initially began as a sweep to the right.

Ben Shappie ran for two scores (the first and last TD's of the game) and threw the TD pass that Hoyng caught. Shappie was the Flyers' leading ground gainer with 62 yards on 13 carries.

Dayton secured its fourth national championship in football, and its second mid-major national title since 2002. UD was ranked #1 in the last NCAA FCS Mid-Major poll that was released on November 18. The Flyers will presumably be awarded The Sports Network Cup (a traveling trophy which goes to the mid-major national champion) when the final poll is released on Monday.

UD won NCAA Division III titles in 1980 and 1989, and the Sports Network Cup in 2002 as a then-NCAA I-AA mid-major team.

Going into the game, Albany had the reputation for a powerful ball control offense, but UD had the advantage of a 41:03 to 18:57 lead in time of possession. The Great Danes used three big plays to come up with more than half of their 259 yards in total offense. A 35-yard run by David McCarty that was immediately followed by a 42-yard touchdown pass from Vinny Esposito to Mike Wall made the score 7-6 early in the second quarter. Then, in the first minute of the second half, McCarty tied the game at 14-14 with a 63-yard run.

From that point, the UAlbany offense was held to 66 yards and three first downs and the Flyers ran off 21 straight points on Hoyng's three touchdown passes (two to Matt Champa and one to Jack O'Dell).

McCarty was the game's leading ground gainer, with 134 yards on 16 carries with two TD's. It was his sixth straight 100-yard+ effort. Esposito was 10-of-18 passing for 132 yards for Albany.

The Dayton defense held Albany 123 yards below its offensive average, and 89 yards under its usual rushing output, despite the fact that the UD defensive line was out-weighed by the Great Dane offensive line by an average of 66 pounds. Safety Corey Vossler and defensive tackle Sean Heenan had nine tackles while defensive tackle Kalen Hemmelgarn added a pair of sacks. The Dayton defense that allowed Albany to convert just 2-of-10 third down conversion attempts throughout the game.

J Michael Jonard had nine catches for 54 yards for the Flyers. Champa (90 yards) and O'Dell (74) had eight catches apiece. Nick Ruhe added seven for 73 yards. All four finished the year with more receptions than the previous single-season record of 55 (set by Bill Franks in 1989). Jonard is the record holder with 64, Ruhe had 61, Champa 59 (a Flyer tight end record) and O'Dell 56.

The Flyers' 11-1 record marked the 18th time in Mike Kelly's 27 years as a head coach the Flyers won at least nine games.

Boogs
December 2nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
OK, Flyers. Who's working on the application to join the Patriot League for football?

I'm working on getting Dayton into Div. II football.

This goes hand and hand with my total revamping of categorizing sports in the NCAA.

Dayton will be D1 in men's basketball, D2 in football, and D3 in baseball.

Under my play we will go back to multiple divisions at the same school...the way it use to be and the way it should be.

In the meantime, I'm also working on getting teams to back-fill the departure of La Salle, St. Peter's, Canisius, Evansville, etc. into FCS mid-major football.

I'm also putting together a proposal to unite Don Hansen and the Sports Network organizations to agree on who will be FCS mid-major each year. No more differences like the disaster we had this year.

I'm also revamping my rankings to somehow include non-FCS competition in the rankings. Not sure how I'll do that yet.

Busy offseason for me. xcoffeex I picked the wrong week to give up (fill-in-the-blank).

One more thing. Albany sucks. And that includes their past players as well as their current. xcoffeex

BlueHen86
December 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'm working on getting Dayton into Div. II football.

This goes hand and hand with my total revamping of categorizing sports in the NCAA.

Dayton will be D1 in men's basketball, D2 in football, and D3 in baseball.

Under my play we will go back to multiple divisions at the same school...the way it use to be and the way it should be.

In the meantime, I'm also working on getting teams to back-fill the departure of La Salle, St. Peter's, Canisius, Evansville, etc. into FCS mid-major football.

I'm also putting together a proposal to unite Don Hansen and the Sports Network organizations to agree on who will be FCS mid-major each year. No more differences like the disaster we had this year.

I'm also revamping my rankings to somehow include non-FCS competition in the rankings. Not sure how I'll do that yet.

Busy offseason for me. xcoffeex I picked the wrong week to give up (fill-in-the-blank).

One more thing. Albany sucks. And that includes their past players as well as their current. xcoffeex
I think you are clinically insane.

And no, I am not a psychiatrist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. xthumbsupx xlolx

BlueHen86
December 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Congrats on a nice win and a good season Dayton!xthumbsupx

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Assuming Patriot football wanted a member from southern Ohio, would Dayton want to lose an additional $2 million a year for equivalencies? I doubt it. For whatever reason, the Patriot title comes with a playoff bid, but the playoffs are not worth $2 mil a year.

I was half-kidding, but only half. Dayton is a good school and their FB program might match up nicely with the rest of the Patriots. Hell, if the PL is talking about Marist as a possibility for FB, why NOT consider Dayton?