PDA

View Full Version : Wofford @ #3 Montana

Pages : [1] 2

BigApp
November 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Discuss

Peems
November 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Listening to the show right now, you wouldn't even know that Montana is playing this game.

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
time to quit complaining about traveling and get after it...

I think we will be competitive, more later

eaglewraith
November 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Go Woffie

Cleets
November 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Well,
this should be a cake-walk for Wofford... They get the most over-rated Griz... no problem xlolx

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I think Wofford's running game matched up with our D line is going to be interesting...i predict a good one

UM 24
WC 19

KiddBrewer
November 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
lets go wofford! No comment cause who really knows. heres a guess however

Wofford 24
Montana 17

Peems
November 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Well,
this should be a cake-walk for Wofford... They get the most over-rated Griz... no problem xlolx

exactly.

ErksEagles
November 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Wofford is gonna win this one hands down.

Wofford 41
Griz 21

Cleets
November 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Wha..?
I don't get it.. why should this game even be close..?

The Powerful SoCon vs. the Cream-puff Big Sky... this should be over by half time... somebody explain how all of a sudden this should now be a close game...

everybody wanted the Griz right..?

Wofford 48
Montana 10

right..?

xcoffeex

DuckDuckGriz
November 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Wofford is a very solid and sound team. This will be a tough game, a battle in the trenches. And no offense App and GSU, but out of the SoCon Wofford intimidates me the most.

GoldandBlack
November 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
No predictions, just football.

Let's strap 'em on, and tee it up-xcoachx

GO TERRIERS!

Tod
November 18th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Wha..?

The Powerful SoCon vs. the Cream-puff Big Sky... this should be over by half time... somebody explain how all of a sudden this should now be a close game...

Wofford 48
Montana 10

right..?

xcoffeex

Of course.

Wofford - 176
UM - 3

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 18th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Of course.

Wofford - 176
UM - 3

Yeah I'm going to change my prediction and agree with you Tod...The Griz are terrible and Wofford's coming into Wash-Griz and throttle us like a Division II squad xcoffeex xrolleyesx

alexale23
November 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM
wofford 177
UM 2

Thats more like it

rob_p469
November 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
This is just sad. Is everyone so jealous of the powerhouse the griz have built over the last decade that you are actually going to entertain the fact that the griz aren't the clear cut favorite in this game? Do we have to make another trip to the semi's just to prove that our 11-0 team isn't a fluke? One by one they will fall and when the griz are in Chatty let's see how much you are all talking by then.

Griz 38
Wofford 20

appstate38
November 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Wofford is a very solid and sound team. This will be a tough game, a battle in the trenches. And no offense App and GSU, but out of the SoCon Wofford intimidates me the most.

None taken, Wofford will present your D with some challenges. Should be a good one. Got to be a homer and pick the Woofies! Sorry Griz! Good Luck to both.

matfu
November 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM
i predict wofford will win and actually then have an easy bracket to the semis. i think overcoming the cold weather will be their biggest problem, not overcoming the montana football team.

wofford 35
montana 14

CharlestonAppFan
November 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM
All the games on the bracket are very tough, and any team can win any given saturday but.....................this is the toughest game in the first round xnodx xnodx

Luap57
November 18th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Wooford is a sound team and I'm hoping for good weather up there for the game so both teams can play their best. MSU has brought some pretty good teams up there but there's something about the Grizz at home.....we're excited about EWU coming south.

Tod
November 18th, 2007, 03:50 PM
wofford 177
UM 2

Thats more like it

I would have preferred an easier draw, like JMU, one of the lesser teams in a strong field. xnodx xnodx xnodx

peauxrouge
November 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Funny, the radio boys said that they don't think UM is as strong as "everyone" thinks. Who the hell is "everyone?" I have yet to hear anyone outside of Missoula think that UM is strong. I think we are the highest ranked underdog in the history of of FCS football with the way everyone is talking.

Tod
November 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Funny, the radio boys said that they don't think UM is as strong as "everyone" thinks. Who the hell is "everyone?" I have yet to hear anyone outside of Missoula think that UM is strong. I think we are the highest ranked underdog in the history of of FCS football with the way everyone is talking.

Exactly. The sad part is, I'd be rooting for Wofford if they weren't playing the Griz. But because of the negativity, I have to hope for a blowout win for the Griz.

Sorryass
November 18th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I guess we'll see whether Wofford can compete in the Big Sky. Cream puff? Where have you been? 15 years and running in the FCS playoffs -- you'll be surprised, even with our injured players out. Go Griz.

TokyoGriz
November 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Maybe getting hosed on the number 2 seed will wake up the AD at Montana with his weak ass out of conference scheduling. The bad news though is next year is almost identical to this year for scheduling.

Ok well I see wofford facing the Montana team which is not a one dimensional as some of the teams they face in the Socon.

Never know there might even be some snow for the game! xthumbsupx

Prediction - Montana 24
Wofford 14

Proud Griz Man
November 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Wofford is gonna win this one hands down.

Wofford 41
Griz 21

You can have Wofford and I'll take the Griz and twenty points. PM me with your wager $$$ amount Erkie.xcoolx

And I hope it stays up at 40 degrees so you tough Southerners can show us your talent. I don't want excuses afterwards about the travel, elevation, cold or snow.

I respect Wofford, but view some of these SoCon 'statements' as disrespectful to Montana.

GoldandBlack
November 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I guess we'll see whether Wofford can compete in the Big Sky. Cream puff? Where have you been? 15 years and running in the FCS playoffs -- you'll be surprised, even with our injured players out. Go Griz.

Funny- I've watched the Griz-bashing on AGS, but for the life of me, I can't remember any Wofford fans dissing the Griz, or the BSC, for that matter.

Point is, we could care less about trash talk- we're ready for some football. The Griz have a great tradition, and I expect a great game.

Let's show everyone else how it should be done.xnodx xthumbsupx

Griz40
November 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Welcome to Washington Griz Wofford! Good luck! (not really you are gonna get your a$$e$ handed to you on a silver platter) but I hope you enjoy the trip and the environment! It should be a good game!

ERASU2113
November 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
And I hope it stays up at 40 degrees so you tough Southerners can show us your talent. I don't want excuses afterwards about the travel, elevation, cold or snow.

Even though we may be southerners....40 degrees, cold, snow wouldn't bother us :D

Hopefully we'll get the chance to make a trip up there....two rounds to get through first, for both of us first.

Montana/Wofford is gonna be a good game....good luck to both teams

ButlerGSU
November 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Go Wofford!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Funny- I've watched the Griz-bashing on AGS, but for the life of me, I can't remember any Wofford fans dissing the Griz, or the BSC, for that matter.

Point is, we could care less about trash talk- we're ready for some football. The Griz have a great tradition, and I expect a great game.

That's a good point G&B. Wofford's fans are some of the few that have not been on the Griz bash bandwagon. I think most of this is aimed at some of your SoCon brethren. Do you think you guys will be sending many fans out our way?

RazorEdge19
November 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Indeed, just like when we played App, we simply lack the talent to compete with a superior opponent... xrolleyesx xbowx

This will settle all the SoCon v. Gateway talk.

Tod
November 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

terrierbob
November 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
A terrier actually would first start at the ankles, burying itself in the dense, wooly hair of the behomoth of the northern plains. Soon, after twenty minutes or so, the bear will notice a strange tickling sensation. Deeper still, the small dog finds the bellybutton and bites like hell. After a frenzied search for the offending insect, the poor griz shakes so furiously that it throws its back out, and the clever doglet trots into the endzone for the final, winning score.

placidlakegriz
November 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Even though we may be southerners....40 degrees, cold, snow wouldn't bother us :D

FYI - If it's 40 degress it won't be snowing, it will be raining.

20 degress - Now that'll get you snow:)

Cleets
November 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
That's a good point G&B. Wofford's fans are some of the few that have not been on the Griz bash bandwagon. I think most of this is aimed at some of your SoCon brethren. Do you think you guys will be sending many fans out our way?

"you'll be watching whoever the Griz end up being paired with since they are both the most overrated and the most tormented."

this was posted today by Eyeofold... xeyebrowx

- xwhistlex

tdoggs22
November 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
as a wofford grad.i would like to say that the majority of the terrier fans are not happy to be traveling to Montana. The Grizz have esablished themselves as a 1-AA football powerhouse, and a team that nearly always finishes atop the final polls. These outlandish score predictions are funny to some, but as a Wofford Alum and former player, I understand the magnitude of the challenge that lay ahead for the Tdoggs. Cream puff? maybe their conference wasn't as competitive as usual, but the Grizz stood tall in their conference as the top dawg and escaped unscaithed. Credit is due!

As for predictions. I do not think Montana has seen anything like the offense Wofford brings. No one has. Their option is a combination of Navy's and West Virginia's, with the reverses and misdirections of Wake Forest. We have to do that to compensate for our lack of size up front. From what i hear, Montana's d-line is the strength of their defense, which is a positive for us. Good d-lineman can be avoided in our offense by simply using them as read keys. My concern is stopping the Grizz. They have always been known for scoring by the dozens, and this year is no different as they have only scored less than 21 points twice.

The Wofford following is pissed off as we won the toughest conference in the country, and are forced to make the longest trip of any team while facing a top-seeded opponent. Its not right, and on top of that we got no love on the selection show. None..... and that was poor on the part of ESPNU. I have spoken with a few players, and the team is very motivated by the disrespect thrown in their direction. Some are even excited to be going to Montana. Hell, half of the team is from the North anyway so the weather isnt an issue, and most are big hunters so Montana is their fantasy land! Trust me on this. Wofford's team wil come inspired, focused, and excited. They live on a tiny campus in which they interact with the same 1200 people on a daily basis. A trip to Montana on the NCAA credit card is nothing less than an early Christmas present, and gives them the oppurtunity to stretch out and show the country why the Terriers are built differently than any other team. And hopefully, that will be enough to emerge vitvorious.

woffordgrad94
November 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM
At first, I was very angry when I saw Wofford had to travel to Montana. Screw the FCS playoff committee, I thought, they found a way to hose us again! But then I got to thinking what a great opportunity this could be for Wofford, both the team and fans. We get a chance to travel to some beautiful country. Plus, I have a half-sister in Montana (she lives in Kalispell). My dad is retired from the Air Force (he served for 25 years), and spent a lot of time moving around, and his first wife was from Washington state. But anyway, my sister called me soon after the playoff pairings were announced (she is a Griz supporter). She said "get dad to help out in sending you here as a Christmas present... you can fly into Spokane, and I'll pick you up... I'l cook Thanksgiving dinner for you, and we'll go to the game." I said I'd try. I really want to see my sister, she's spent some hospital time with hepatitis. So maybe this is all fate for me, and part of a bigger plan. But anyway, cocerning the game itself, one thing I feel Wofford has lacked was a truly national FCS win...well now, here's their chance. The have the opportunity to show the nation what Wofford football is all about. I know very little about Montana living in South Carolina and all, but I know the have a huge homefield advantage, rabid supporters, and COLD weather! My sister, however, said it was above freezing, and the weather would not be really bad foir me, mostly 40s, with no snow. So that's good for Wofford and for me, If I end up going.

I also know that their have been whispers that Montana is beatable despite their undefeated record, that this Griz team is not as strong as some of the ones in the past. I know that montana hasn't seen much of us, too. But all that said, Montana HAS to be the favorite here. But I think we will give the Griz a good one, and have a chance of upsetting them if we avoid giving the ball up. From what I've seen, Montana unfortunately is not taking this game as a joke like I'd hoped they might, so we will have to be ready to play. But I really am glad now we got the Griz, and I hope I get to go. I haven't been to Montana since I was 11. But mainly because my sister promised to take me out on the town, saying that "the ladies up here are going to love you, especially when you start talking! (she meant my Southern draw I guess)

Prediction- Wofford 29, Montana 28

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM
"you'll be watching whoever the Griz end up being paired with since they are both the most overrated and the most tormented."

- xwhistlex

I stand corrected.

Eyes of Old Main
November 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM

They are considered to be overrated by almost everyone on this site and they have been tormented because of their schedule. Maybe I was spreading a bit of smack, but so be it. Bear in mind, in that conversation, Montana was being mentioned as being tomrneted and Wofford was being labeled as overrated. The point that Wofford has not been leading the charge of disrespecting Montana remains.

eaglesrthe1

"Everyone" must be the guys on the committee that handed the Griz the #3 seed.

I like the Terriers chances. They match up well.

BigApp
Ok well I see wofford facing the Montana team which is not a one dimensional as some of the teams they face in the Socon.

xscanx xscanx xscanx xscanx xscanx
xconfusedx
xnutsx

Griz40
November 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM
as a wofford grad.i would like to say that the majority of the terrier fans are not happy to be traveling to Montana. The Grizz have esablished themselves as a 1-AA football powerhouse, and a team that nearly always finishes atop the final polls. These outlandish score predictions are funny to some, but as a Wofford Alum and former player, I understand the magnitude of the challenge that lay ahead for the Tdoggs. Cream puff? maybe their conference wasn't as competitive as usual, but the Grizz stood tall in their conference as the top dawg and escaped unscaithed. Credit is due!

As for predictions. I do not think Montana has seen anything like the offense Wofford brings. No one has. Their option is a combination of Navy's and West Virginia's, with the reverses and misdirections of Wake Forest. We have to do that to compensate for our lack of size up front. From what i hear, Montana's d-line is the strength of their defense, which is a positive for us. Good d-lineman can be avoided in our offense by simply using them as read keys. My concern is stopping the Grizz. They have always been known for scoring by the dozens, and this year is no different as they have only scored less than 21 points twice.

The Wofford following is pissed off as we won the toughest conference in the country, and are forced to make the longest trip of any team while facing a top-seeded opponent. Its not right, and on top of that we got no love on the selection show. None..... and that was poor on the part of ESPNU. I have spoken with a few players, and the team is very motivated by the disrespect thrown in their direction. Some are even excited to be going to Montana. Hell, half of the team is from the North anyway so the weather isnt an issue, and most are big hunters so Montana is their fantasy land! Trust me on this. Wofford's team wil come inspired, focused, and excited. They live on a tiny campus in which they interact with the same 1200 people on a daily basis. A trip to Montana on the NCAA credit card is nothing less than an early Christmas present, and gives them the oppurtunity to stretch out and show the country why the Terriers are built differently than any other team. And hopefully, that will be enough to emerge vitvorious.
Good post...well said....I hope that the game is enjoyable on both sides no matter who wins.
It will be nice to be playing a team that we have never played before and I for one look forward to this game. I will say that there is a difference in being from "the north" and being out in the west. East coast north feels completely different than in God's country. And yes those that are hunters will enjoy being in that area....cus it is amazing. I think this is a good matchup however and will be a very entertaining game to watch.

youwouldno
November 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Montana is at home, that's a big advantage. Wofford is a better team though. Should be close.

woffordgrad94
November 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
The Wofford following is pissed off as we won the toughest conference in the country, and are forced to make the longest trip of any team while facing a top-seeded opponent. Its not right, and on top of that we got no love on the selection show. None..... and that was poor on the part of ESPNU. I have spoken with a few players, and the team is very motivated by the disrespect thrown in their direction.

I agree that Wofford was pretty much an afterthought to the selection show guys...merely a stepping-stone for Montana on thir way to a championship (remember, they picked Montana to win it all). I'm happy this has angered and motivated the Wofford team, and hopefully they can use this "dis" to their advantage!

I also thought it funny that they mentioned Appalachian State as a team that "could surprise". Really now, if App Sate wins games in the playoffs, will anyone here really be that surprised?

RE/MAXGriz
November 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM
What makes Wofford so much more superior to Montana? Have any of you east-coast football fans even watched or followed a single game Montana has played? Probably not, but, that's expected.

Montana is much better than most of you give credit, we've played a spread option team this year in NAU, but have not played a wishbone/triple option team. Last year we did get run heavy offenses in McNeese and SIU and we shut them down well. Our defense is strong and fast, they're good around the edges and our safties are great at run stopping.

Add in the best stadium and crowds in FCS football, and the cold weather, this should be one hell of a football game. Wofford will be hard pressed to establish a solid running game against our front 7, they hit hard and fill gaps.

It's too early for a solid prediction but this will be a close game, as all Montana games are, I see us winning by 3-10 points.

placidlakegriz
November 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Montana is at home, that's a big advantage. Wofford is a better team though. Should be close.

And you know that how??

Madisonian
November 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I would have preferred an easier draw, like JMU, one of the lesser teams in a strong field. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Sour grapes? I think that debate was settled three years ago.xsmiley_wix

griz8791
November 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I agree that Wofford was pretty much an afterthought to the selection show guys...merely a stepping-stone for Montana on thir way to a championship (remember, they picked Montana to win it all) . . .

The streaming radio broadcast from College Sporting News evened that out. Those guys were reading from the official AGS script. If the guys on the TV show "picked Montana to win it all," they are the only people in the world outside Montana who think so.

AlphaSigMD
November 18th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I hope that they can use the bye week to get refocused and recharged. Playing UM won't be like playing a run first, run 2nd, run 3rd, run 4th, pass 5th team like Georgia Southern, because montana will try to mix it up a bit and keep them off balance.

I think that if Wofford plays like the early season Wofford that beat ASU and beat the pants off furman, they have an excellent chance of winning this game.

If they play like the team the showed up against Elon (4 turnovers) or NC State then they will likely lose.

DB_Atlantic10
November 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=tdoggs22;748977]

The Wofford following is pissed off as we won the toughest conference in the country, and are forced to make the longest trip of any team while facing a top-seeded opponent. Its not right, and on top of that we QUOTE]

Didn't the CAA just make History by sending five teams to the tourney? Want to rethink this statement......xcoffeex

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I told y'all Wofford was comin to Missoula.;)

Sorryass
November 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Cleets;748801]Wha..?

Well Cleets - the Crimson blew the bull*** dogs right out yesterday. Who would have thought? xlolx (MT Harvard grad)

Come to Missoula to see how "cream puffs" play. Watch out, though. you might get some cream all over you. :p Make the trip, you'll enjoy the atmosphere, and I'll even stand you to a beer. xbeerchugx

Yes, the Griz to win. xsmiley_wix

Wofford 48
Montana 10

right..? No. Griz 27, Woofers 14. Dan Carpenter may make enough points to beat Wofford by himself. Griz will give up some yards, but look at the point totals the Griz defense has allowed. Stats don't matter -- wins do.

Squealofthepig
November 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM

/vouch for that! Wofford fans seem to be focused on taking care of business and gearing up for games. As a few other Griz fans have said, I'd be cheering for Wofford if not for facing the Griz.

Good luck, and I hope you bring a good contingent to Wa-Griz. Trash talk or not, the Griz _always_ show visiting fans a good time!

B&G
November 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM
As much as I would love to see Wofford win... I just don't see it. You can talk all you want about being fired-up and disrespected but that is still a LONG flight and a TOUGH place to play. And Montana doesn't feel disrespected this year? People say they're only there b/c of a creampuff schedule. They probably feel they should've been a #2 seed instead of a #3 seed. The bottom line is that they beat everyone that was put in their path and will probably do it again versus Wofford. Sorry but the Terriers have looked pretty pedestrian ever since the Gardner-Webb game. Like I said, I want Wofford to win for the SoCon and so App doesn't have to travel to Montana (if it plays out that way) but I don't see it happening.

GrizFanIRAQ
November 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hopefully we'll get the chance to make a trip up there....two rounds to get through first, for both of us first.

Montana/Wofford is gonna be a good game....good luck to both teams

At last check the weather in Missoula for the next week has a high of 34 and lows in the mid teens with rain and snow almost everyday! Granted the games a week away, but I just dont think old man winter is gonna leave!!!xcoffeex

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM
The griz are favored, the griz have a legacy, the griz can be confident because of what they have. (I just wish I could afford to go to the game and that game atmosphere)

It will be a game and Wofford will not shy away from it or be intimidated by it. We have played before hostile venues before from Boone, to Statesboro, to Columbia. We will be there and we will play our game.

Ya'll smack all you want, Wofford is in the playoffs and there is nothing changing that reality right now.

GolfingGriz
November 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I think its funny how worked up people get on the boards. The fact of the matter is we will play of saturday and then we'll find out how good the other team is. I honestly don't know how good wofford is so I'll refrain from making a prediction. Hopefully it turns out to be a griz win.

Sorryass
November 18th, 2007, 05:39 PM

That was three years ago. What does that have to do with 2007? We'd love a rematch. I attended the 2004 championship game -- it was much closer than the final score indicated. JMU played well and beat UM -- I wish you were traveling to Missoula for a rematch -- We have JMU professors as friends just outside Missoula, I'll bet they would put you up!

xbeerchugx

Tod
November 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM

No, I was just responding to that new idiot JMU poster, that's all. xpeacex

BTW, that was three years ago. That defense you faced? They're seniors now. xnodx xnodx xnodx

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
As much as I would love to see Wofford win... I just don't see it. You can talk all you want about being fired-up and disrespected but that is still a LONG flight and a TOUGH place to play. And Montana doesn't feel disrespected this year? People say they're only there b/c of a creampuff schedule. They probably feel they should've been a #2 seed instead of a #3 seed. The bottom line is that they beat everyone that was put in their path and will probably do it again versus Wofford. Sorry but the Terriers have looked pretty pedestrian ever since the Gardner-Webb game. Like I said, I want Wofford to win for the SoCon and so App doesn't have to travel to Montana (if it plays out that way) but I don't see it happening.

I know...geeze. How much disrespect can one team be expected to take?:D

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM

First of all, the SoCon is not the toughest conference in the country, the CAA is (5 playoff teams? Should have been 6).

Second, Montana's defensive strength is the linebackers more than the D-line. That works in Montana's favor against the option. Also, the Griz DB's are very good tacklers.

Third, every team is familiar with the triple option—it's been around forever. As long as the Griz play fundamentally sound & make tackles like usual, they should contain Josh Collier & company.

Montana eats up run-first southern teams in Missoula in the playoffs. I see no reason that won't happen this time. Unless the Terriers can play better defense than usual or spread the field & throw it most every down, they could be in for a long day. It probably won't be a blowout just because that's not Montana's MO, but it shouldn't be a sweat, either.

terrierbob
November 18th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'm glad we're underdogs. We were against South Carolina last year and almost beat them. We were (obviously) against the Mountaineers, and we won. We seem to play up to those rated above us and down to those we should beat. I think we'll be well-prepared.

Madisonian
November 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM
That was three years ago. What does that have to do with 2007? We'd love a rematch. I attended the 2004 championship game -- it was much closer than the final score indicated. JMU played well and beat UM -- I wish you were traveling to Missoula for a rematch -- We have JMU professors as friends just outside Missoula, I'll bet they would put you up!

xbeerchugx

It has nothing to do with 2007. It was simply as intelligent a response as the statment that proceded it. I too attended the 2004 game. I don't remember it being much closer than the final score indicated. I would be happy to come to Missoula for a rematch. We may see you guys in a few weeks as a matter of fact.

Eyes of Old Main
November 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Montana eats up run-first southern teams in Missoula in the playoffs. I see no reason that won't happen this time. Unless the Terriers can play better defense than usual or spread the field & throw it most every down, they could be in for a long day. It probably won't be a blowout just because that's not Montana's MO, but it shouldn't be a sweat, either.

Montana may win going away, but bear in mind that Wofford has gotten stronger in almost every game they've played this year. The Terriers wore down Appalachian, they wore down Furman, they wore down The Citadel. Wofford hasn't played well in a while, but has still been winning big in most cases. Also, in all three losses, Wofford has beaten itself with penalties and turnovers. We'll see what happens.

Neither team is a known commodity to the other and both has a chance to win, but Montana has to be the favorite based off record, experience and location. Either way, both teams have what they want right now, Montana wants to be the favorite and Wofford loves being the underdog. We'll see what happens.

Madisonian
November 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
No, I was just responding to that new idiot JMU poster, that's all. xpeacex

BTW, that was three years ago. That defense you faced? They're seniors now. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Tod, Did I mention that it was three years ago in my original post? I think I did, yes, I just checked, I did. It was a joke. That was a pretty impressive run in 2004 with a defense made up completely of Freshmen.

Good luck in the playoffs! I have been a big fan of the Griz since my exposure to them in 2004. Great team, great fans.

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Mike Ayers better go to complete silent count and have players wear ear plugs in practice this week.xnodx

Eyes of Old Main
November 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Mike Ayers better go to complete silent count and have players wear ear plugs in practice this week.xnodx

And the Griz better spend the week figuring out how to chase down some short-haired, no-neck dogs.

Wa-Griz may be loud, but I doubt it's louder than South Carolina, NC State, Appalachian, Georgia Southern and the like that we've played recently. Trust me, a bunch of loud fans won't intimidate Wofford and neither will all those Big Sky and NC title banners.

Lots has been said about can Wofford prepare itself for Montana, but can Montana prepare itself for Wofford?

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Montana may win going away, but bear in mind that Wofford has gotten stronger in almost every game they've played this year. The Terriers wore down Appalachian, they wore down Furman, they wore down The Citadel. Wofford hasn't played well in a while, but has still been winning big in most cases. Also, in all three losses, Wofford has beaten itself with penalties and turnovers. We'll see what happens.

Neither team is a known commodity to the other and both has a chance to win, but Montana has to be the favorite based off record, experience and location. Either way, both teams have what they want right now, Montana wants to be the favorite and Wofford loves being the underdog. We'll see what happens.

Montana has also won most of its games by wearing the opponent down & dominating the lines & the clock late. It will be interesting to see whose physicality wins out on Saturday, & also who gets the early advantage.

Chi Panther
November 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
The Griz have a Brick Wall D-line...Don't see Wofford running it down their throats....

appstate38
November 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Griz fans, I have a question for you... I have heard you guys complain at times during the season that your team has not played very sharp and allowed some games to be closer than they should have been. Just a thought but at this point in the season nobody can afford to do that and expect to win. Hopefully both teams will bring the "A" game.

Live4Griz
November 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Griz fans, I have a question for you... I have heard you guys complain at times during the season that your team has not played very sharp and allowed some games to be closer than they should have been. Just a thought but at this point in the season nobody can afford to do that and expect to win. Hopefully both teams will bring the "A" game.

What is your question?

Squealofthepig
November 18th, 2007, 06:56 PM
And the Griz better spend the week figuring out how to chase down some short-haired, no-neck dogs.

Wa-Griz may be loud, but I doubt it's louder than South Carolina, NC State, Appalachian, Georgia Southern and the like that we've played recently.

And The Citadel, too. No matter what else, I don't think the Griz can count on the Wash/Griz atmosphere as being a huge advantage over Wofford.

putter
November 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
You are correct. The Griz have built up leads this year and our OC goes into conservative mode. Then Griz then pull some 3 and outs which have given some momentum to our opponents. Most posters see the Big Sky as soft, well I see them as more, well..mentally challenged. PSU spent 1 day a week to beat the Griz. ISU threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Griz and still lost. The Big Sky's problem is that their season is made if they beat Montana where in the CAA and SoCon that is not the case for one team. Take it for what it is worth, Montana is battle tested and the game against Wofford will be another battle but I like this teams chances (if our OC keep the throttle down).

P.S. --> Everyone better keep an eye on Eastern Washington :)

74AppState
November 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
IS this game on TV in the South?

Griz40
November 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM
At first, I was very angry when I saw Wofford had to travel to Montana. Screw the FCS playoff committee, I thought, they found a way to hose us again! But then I got to thinking what a great opportunity this could be for Wofford, both the team and fans. We get a chance to travel to some beautiful country. Plus, I have a half-sister in Montana (she lives in Kalispell). My dad is retired from the Air Force (he served for 25 years), and spent a lot of time moving around, and his first wife was from Washington state. But anyway, my sister called me soon after the playoff pairings were announced (she is a Griz supporter). She said "get dad to help out in sending you here as a Christmas present... you can fly into Spokane, and I'll pick you up... I'l cook Thanksgiving dinner for you, and we'll go to the game." I said I'd try. I really want to see my sister, she's spent some hospital time with hepatitis. So maybe this is all fate for me, and part of a bigger plan. But anyway, cocerning the game itself, one thing I feel Wofford has lacked was a truly national FCS win...well now, here's their chance. The have the opportunity to show the nation what Wofford football is all about. I know very little about Montana living in South Carolina and all, but I know the have a huge homefield advantage, rabid supporters, and COLD weather! My sister, however, said it was above freezing, and the weather would not be really bad foir me, mostly 40s, with no snow. So that's good for Wofford and for me, If I end up going.

I also know that their have been whispers that Montana is beatable despite their undefeated record, that this Griz team is not as strong as some of the ones in the past. I know that montana hasn't seen much of us, too. But all that said, Montana HAS to be the favorite here. But I think we will give the Griz a good one, and have a chance of upsetting them if we avoid giving the ball up. From what I've seen, Montana unfortunately is not taking this game as a joke like I'd hoped they might, so we will have to be ready to play. But I really am glad now we got the Griz, and I hope I get to go. I haven't been to Montana since I was 11. But mainly because my sister promised to take me out on the town, saying that "the ladies up here are going to love you, especially when you start talking! (she meant my Southern draw I guess)

Prediction- Wofford 29, Montana 28'
DUDE!!!!
Score be da##ed!!!! GO JUST GO!! Enjoy THAT!!! WOW!!! win or lose it will be a good game and go enjoy that weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! I am jealous!!!!

tdoggs22
November 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
this post is for mvemjsunpx. The CAA has 12 teams in their conference. Therefore, they have 50% higher chance of having a team in the playoffs. Not to mention all the teams in the conference dont play one another. But thats a whole other argument in itself.

For you to say that everyone knows about the option, and imply it is easy to prepare shows me you have never played football... period. After we played Maryland my frosh. year, I talked with EJ Henderson (current Viking LB) and he commented on how difficult it was to prepare for the option, and how much he hated getting cut blocked. Your comment is ludacris! Anyone who thinks our offense is not complicated and easy to prepare for is trotting in Wonderland. We are smaller than you, weaker than you, and not as deep as you or most of the other teams on our schedule. Therefore, we have to generate a scheme that is complex and offsets our tangible disadvantages. Players are getting cut blocked, bypassed, and double teamed while any one of the three backs might have the ball. I highly doubt your LBS are any more athletic than App States. So to say they will create problems is highly doubtful. We check every play from the line of scrimmage, thus giving ourselves a chance for success every play if we maintain our assignments. Dont devalue the effectiveness of the option on the basis of its tenure!! That is hilarious to me. I respect the Grizz fanbase, and hope that one day Wofford can establish a tradition similar to Montana's. But i could not bite my tongue after reading your comment. No disrespect intended in this post, but rather defend all the succesful option-based offenses.

griz8791
November 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Relax, tdoggs. Some of us are old enough to remember being optioned to death at Statesboro in 1989 and Chattanooga in 2000. A lot of my compadres seem to think that won't happen to us again. I am biting my nails.

AshevilleApp
November 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
What's with all the Griz fan self-defacing......seems like a thread a day and a post per thread....yawn.

looks like a good game

tdoggs22
November 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM
my bad... i got a little fired up on an earlier comment. I am really excited about this game though. A great oppurtunity for us!

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM
IS this game on TV in the South?

They will probably try to run it through the Griz television station here. That's my recall of most other years. But I actually have no idea.xlolx

GtFllsGriz
November 18th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Welcome to Montana Wofford fans. It will be great to host a team that has never been to Wa-Griz before. I have followed your path to the playoffs this year and know of your huge wins. Congratulations on a great season. It should be a great game. Until this past weekend I had no idea what kind of team the Griz would put into the playoffs. After watching them beat the Cats, and more importantly, the way that they did it, I feel much better about their chances.

Many in your part of the country have labled us and the Big Sky as weak. I think those that feel that way are somewhat misinformed but we will know for sure in a couple of weeks.

I hope you bring lots of fans and they get to see what gracious and rabid fans we have in Montana. They will cheer loudly against you but they will also feed you, provide you with beverages and congratulate you should you win the game.

Let's be respectful and have a great time this week.

Go Griz! Good luck Wofford.

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Yeah, but 3 years ago you weren't 7-4. :)

Ronin
November 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Wofford appears to be the better team, but winning at Montana will be difficult.

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Wofford appears to be the better team, but winning at Montana will be difficult.

xconfusedx I will never get some people's opinions.

MTGrizzFan
November 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM

that's a good one xlolx

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2007, 07:39 PM
this post is for mvemjsunpx. The CAA has 12 teams in their conference. Therefore, they have 50% higher chance of having a team in the playoffs. Not to mention all the teams in the conference dont play one another. But thats a whole other argument in itself.

For you to say that everyone knows about the option, and imply it is easy to prepare shows me you have never played football... period. After we played Maryland my frosh. year, I talked with EJ Henderson (current Viking LB) and he commented on how difficult it was to prepare for the option, and how much he hated getting cut blocked. Your comment is ludacris! Anyone who thinks our offense is not complicated and easy to prepare for is trotting in Wonderland. We are smaller than you, weaker than you, and not as deep as you or most of the other teams on our schedule. Therefore, we have to generate a scheme that is complex and offsets our tangible disadvantages. Players are getting cut blocked, bypassed, and double teamed while any one of the three backs might have the ball. I highly doubt your LBS are any more athletic than App States. So to say they will create problems is highly doubtful. We check every play from the line of scrimmage, thus giving ourselves a chance for success every play if we maintain our assignments. Dont devalue the effectiveness of the option on the basis of its tenure!! That is hilarious to me. I respect the Grizz fanbase, and hope that one day Wofford can establish a tradition similar to Montana's. But i could not bite my tongue after reading your comment. No disrespect intended in this post, but rather defend all the succesful option-based offenses.

Great post!!!

I can tell the Griz faithful it's going to be a LLOOONNNGG day at Wa-Griz stadium if you don't come to play with some serious plan against Wofford's version of the option. App came to play, knew what to expect, & lost anyway in a game close until the very end. I can tell you this, Wofford runs their version triple option to perfection. The ONLY possible weakness is a tendency to fumble, which is inherent in all option teams. Against App there was nary a single fumble. Another thing - that option will chew up large chunks of time. Don't count on your offense seeing many touches - those it gets must count.

Personally, I am hoping to see Wofford again in Dec. in Boone.

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Great post!!!

I can tell the Griz faithful it's going to be a LLOOONNNGG day at Wa-Griz stadium if you don't come to play with some serious plan against Wofford's version of the option. App came to play, knew what to expect, & lost anyway in a game close until the very end. I can tell you this, Wofford runs their version triple option to perfection. The ONLY possible weakness is a tendency to fumble, which is inherent in all option teams. Against App there was nary a single fumble. Another thing - that option will chew up large chunks of time. Don't count on your offense seeing many touches - those it gets must count.

of course.xlolx xlolx

Hauck has a defense that is focused and ready for any challenge. And knowing the griz, they will have much confidence and work overtime to achieve a good gameplan. I am so excited.

McNeese75
November 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Questioin for the Griz - Do you have anyone on your scout team who has ever run the triple option? One of the biggest problems in preparing for the Triple 0 is trying to get your scout squad to run it at game speed.

Now for Wofford fans that will travel to the game. Enjoy the game, town and fans. One thing is for sure, you will not be able to pay for your own beer the night before the game and will have a blast talking to some very knowlegable and fanatic football fans. xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Questioin for the Griz - Do you have anyone on your scout team who has ever run the triple option? One of the biggest problems in preparing for the Triple 0 is trying to get your scout squad to run it at game speed.

Now for Wofford fans that will travel to the game. Enjoy the game, town and fans. One thing is for sure, you will not be able to pay for your own beer the night before the game and will have a blast talking to some very knowlegable and fanatic football fans. xthumbsupx

The scout team does not run the triple option. They run an option, just not the triple o. The griz defense is smart though. They will come ready. And Wofford fans better be ready for a great weekend! Good luck to the Tdoggs.

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 08:00 PM
xconfusedx I will never get some people's opinions.

I think Ronin got bitch-slapped in a game against the Griz and he's had a hard-on for them ever since. His opinions have no basis in reality. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I think Ronin got bitch-slapped in a game against the Griz and he's had a hard-on for them ever since. His opinions have no basis in reality. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Well now, that makes sense!xlolx

lizrdgizrd
November 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I think this and the EWU/McNeese St. game are the two best chances for a seeded upset. Don't hear this as disrespect for Montana, but I think that Wofford has the talent to beat the Griz at home. Either way, this should be a heck of a game. xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I think this and the EWU/McNeese St. game are the two best chances for a seeded upset. Don't hear this as disrespect for Montana, but I think that Wofford has the talent to beat the Griz at home. Either way, this should be a heck of a game. xthumbsupx

I agree with you. Let's see if they bring that talent to Wa-griz. I am excited.

SeattleGriz
November 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I agree with you. Let's see if they bring that talent to Wa-griz. I am excited.

Been staying in Seattle all season, so I could build up some playoff credits with the wife.

Driving the 500 miles to Missoula on Friday, and planning on yelling until I am hoarse...and my head throbs...and I get dizzy. I hate it when I am not in yelling shape.

proasu89
November 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Great post!!!

Wofford did indeed fumble. They fumbled in the 4th and gave us the opportunity to take the lead w/ about 2 minutes left. We turned the ball over on downs and that was that:o

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Been staying in Seattle all season, so I could build up some playoff credits with the wife.

Driving the 500 miles to Missoula on Friday, and planning on yelling until I am hoarse...and my head throbs...and I get dizzy. I hate it when I am not in yelling shape.

You should definitely try to make it! I want this to be the first sold out first round playoff game. It could happen...but it is a long shot. I am gonna rally up my Helena Folk and get them excited.

SeattleGriz
November 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM
You should definitely try to make it! I want this to be the first sold out first round playoff game. It could happen...but it is a long shot. I am gonna rally up my Helena Folk and get them excited.

I will be there. My brother has season tickets, and I coughed up some dough earlier this year to guarantee some seats whenever I came over.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I will be there. My brother has season tickets, and I coughed up some dough earlier this year to guarantee some seats whenever I came over.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't expecting you to make it over and thus spent the money on celebratory beers. you can't really blame for that now can you?

fencer24
November 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM

Thought your hunters might like this photo my brother took on his property:

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM

they don't have elk down there. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

fencer24
November 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM
The problem with the option game, whether double or triple, is that it consumes time. What happens if you are down by two touchdowns?
I guess the game will boil down to the Griz being able to make a stop, and then score quickly, and repeat.
At that point, I wonder if burning the clock doesn't hurt more than it helps.
My foggy memory of a Georgia Southern game is what brings this to mind. I remember that they creamed us with the option in 1989, but I thought that there were a couple of later games that we did alright with.

fencer24
November 18th, 2007, 08:57 PM

But I bet they wish that they did.

griz8791
November 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM
. . . My foggy memory of a Georgia Southern game is what brings this to mind. I remember that they creamed us with the option in 1989, but I thought that there were a couple of later games that we did alright with.

Unfortunately, I remember that game like it happened yesterday. And after watching GSU option us to death, the only other game I could find on TV that afternoon was the annual Army-Navy option-fest.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 09:06 PM
The problem with the option game, whether double or triple, is that it consumes time. What happens if you are down by two touchdowns?
I guess the game will boil down to the Griz being able to make a stop, and then score quickly, and repeat.
My foggy memory of a Georgia Southern game is what brings this to mind. I remember that they creamed us with the option in 1989, but I thought that there were a couple of later games that we did alright with.

We have played very well against the option since 1995 but they always worry me a bit.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 18th, 2007, 09:07 PM

In the '95 game we got creamed because you guys had an awesome team and we were one of the last ones in the playoffs at 8-3. Plus Stowers' play calling is way too conservative (ask Rhode Island fans what they think of his play-calling).

In 2000 you guys did a good job of pretty much stuffing the option for the entire game. GSU scored it's points on big passing plays and on Adrian Peterson's legendary 57-yard run. Of course, that was a different coach and a totally different team, but for the sake of comparison, Josh Collier probably throws the ball better than J.R. Revere did, and Wofford has all of the speed that we had (they don't have anyone like Adrian Peterson, though).

At the very least, this offense is better than any offense you have faced all year. It will be interesting to see how you guys match up against the Woofs.

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Wofford did indeed fumble. They fumbled in the 4th and gave us the opportunity to take the lead w/ about 2 minutes left. We turned the ball over on downs and that was that:o

I stand corrected. Thanks.

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM

Good point. But, what happens if the Griz are down by two TDs? That problem works both ways when you play a good option team. Wofford is as good as it gets re: the TO.

As I said in another post, when the Griz gets the ball, they better score, b/c there is no telling when they will next see the ball.

ASUdrummer
November 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
So, this is pretty much the best 1st round match up possible. If Wofford plays the football they're capable of then Montana will have their hands full. The most exciting thing for me is that if we win we have the chance of playing Wofford in BOONE to go to Chattanooga. I can't ask for much more...Go Wofford!

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM
In the '95 game we got creamed because you guys had an awesome team and we were one of the last ones in the playoffs at 8-3. Plus Stowers' play calling is way too conservative (ask Rhode Island fans what they think of his play-calling).

In 2000 you guys did a good job of pretty much stuffing the option for the entire game. GSU scored it's points on big passing plays and on Adrian Peterson's legendary 57-yard run. Of course, that was a different coach and a totally different team, but for the sake of comparison, Josh Collier probably throws the ball better than J.R. Revere did, and Wofford has all of the speed that we had (they don't have anyone like Adrian Peterson, though).

At the very least, this offense is better than any offense you have faced all year. It will be interesting to see how you guys match up against the Woofs.

Different <> better. EWU's was better. NAU's was better.

The Griz have a fairly good track record against one dimensional teams. Ask SIU how their big stud running back fared in Wa/Griz last year...

GoldandBlack
November 18th, 2007, 09:22 PM

- xwhistlex

Hmmm- one comment by one fan- sounds like a real bandwagon to me. Trying to stir the pot, Andrew?xconfusedx

SeattleGriz
November 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Tried to post this over on the Wofford board, but it won't let me since I am new to the board. So if anyone wants to put it in the Montana Video Highlights thread, that would be great.

This link is provided for those that want to get a little glimpse of the Montana football team.

Just click the "multimedia" link next to the opponent and you can then click on video highlights of the game.

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/results/xsl/results.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_results_web&id_team=100&event_schedule_year=2007&switch=YES&-sortfield.1=event_date_start&-sortfield.2=event_time_start&-sortorder.1=ascend&-sortorder.2=ascend&-token.8=0&-max=all&-find

If you have a ton of extra time, here is a link to the seasons games in their entirety.

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/category.asp?C=84452

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 18th, 2007, 09:39 PM

The Griz have a fairly good track record against one dimensional teams. Ask SIU how their big stud running back fared in Wa/Griz last year...

SIU didn't run the option...there is a difference between running the option and a team that simply does 35 halfback dives in a game. Check out the offensive numbers that Wofford put on a pretty good Clemson defense. And besides, didn't UMass' Baylark give you guys a fit last year?

I'm not one of these guys that thinks the BSC is a creampuff league, so when I say they are better than anyone you have faced I mean that as a compliment to Wofford. You guys are in for a fight.

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
SIU didn't run the option...there is a difference between running the option and a team that simply does 35 halfback dives in a game. Check out the offensive numbers that Wofford put on a pretty good Clemson defense. And besides, didn't UMass' Baylark give you guys a fit last year?

I'm not one of these guys that thinks the BSC is a creampuff league, so when I say they are better than anyone you have faced I mean that as a compliment to Wofford. You guys are in for a fight.

That's my point....UMass wasn't one dimensional. SIU was. In reviewing Wofford's stats, 3/4 of thier yards come on the ground. That's pretty one dimensional. I'll admit it...option attacks are hard to stop, because you see them so infrequently (as in---NEVER on the West Coast). That, in and of itself, will pose a definite problem for the Griz in planning this week.

I realize we're in for a fight. As I said in my Playoff Predictions thread, the only school that got an auto/auto into the second round was UMass getting handed Fordham on a platter... the other 7 games will be dogfights. xnodx xnodx xnodx

AndrewFU21
November 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM
A few questions:

-For all the talk about limiting travel, how do they figure sending a team from the SC Upcountry to Montana for the second year in a row? I realize that whomever they sent, it was probably going to be a plane trip regardless, but it does seem strange. For the SoCon champs to be playing an undefeated team in the first round doesn't make too much sense to me, and WoCo probably has the best right to complain of anybody.

-How good is this Montana team really? They beat EWU who is in the playoffs, but they struggled against some bad teams and don't have nearly the quality wins that Wofford does. Granted, they took care of business and definitely deserve a seed for going undefeated in the Big Sky.

-When was the last time Montana faced a style of play similar to Wofford's? It seems like most teams in the BSC like to air it out more often that not. Seeing Wofford in Greenville this year, they really have tweaked their option game, incorporating more shotgun stuff kind of like Appalachian, and have really made they attack more balanced IMO.

This should be a very tough game, but from experience last year, that long trek to big sky country is a tricky one. Good luck to the Terriers.

GrizFamily
November 18th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I can certainly understand how the Woofs would feel disrespected. Coming to Missoula is always a tough selection. Sounds like a good game and if this team is anything like GSU it could be a tough one. I like our chances in WA Griz. To the Tdoggs that make the trip to Missoula, you are in for a treat. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. The Griz fans will roll out the red carpet for you. Come on up and test me on this.

Baldy
November 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Actually, Wofford is 11th nationally as far as offense goes, EWU is 8th, but NAU is in the 20's somewhere.

Wofford isn't as one-dimensional as you think. The Griz better watch out because Woffy is rested and focused. They are fundamentally sound, and that "one-dimensional" offense is a freakin' machine. It will grind you up and spit you out if you aren't prepared.

If this game was played in Sparkle City or at a neutral site, I'd say Woffy wins, but being its in Missoula, its a toss-up. However, Wofford wont be intimidated by the crowd.

grizzpaw
November 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM
the few times we have faced this type of offence they start out big and sometime can build a lead after halftime we wear them down and either cannot quite catch up or we just pull away either way its after in the half is the time that is going to be fun!

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Actually, Wofford is 11th nationally as far as offense goes, EWU is 8th, but NAU is in the 20's somewhere.

Wofford isn't as one-dimensional as you think. The Griz better watch out because Woffy is rested and focused. They are fundamentally sound, and that "one-dimensional" offense is a freakin' machine. It will grind you up and spit you out if you aren't prepared.

If this game was played in Sparkle City or at a neutral site, I'd say Woffy wins, but being its in Missoula, its a toss-up. However, Wofford wont be intimidated by the crowd.

Baldy, I realize the Griz are in for a battle, but there have been numerous games where the Wofford QB didn't attempt 10 passes. That sounds pretty one-dimensional to me. Now,it may be an oxymoron to call a TRIPLE option one-dimensional, and perhaps that's where you're going with this....I DO fear the triple option, but only because you go ALL year preparing for a different kind of game, then get this one out of the gate....not exactly what we had in mind! xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Baldy
November 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Baldy, I realize the Griz are in for a battle, but there have been numerous games where the Wofford QB didn't attempt 10 passes. That sounds pretty one-dimensional to me. Now,it may be an oxymoron to call a TRIPLE option one-dimensional, and perhaps that's where you're going with this....I DO fear the triple option, but only because you go ALL year preparing for a different kind of game, then get this one out of the gate....not exactly what we had in mind! xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx
Don't know why people insist on it, but Wofford doesn't run the 3O. Their offense is a Veer/Trap Option, or as THEY themselves call it, The Wingbone.

No, they don't pass much...only 13/14 passes a game, but when you are as efficient as they are on the ground.....

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Don't know why people insist on it, but Wofford doesn't run the 3O. Their offense is a Veer/Trap Option, or as THEY themselves call it, The Wingbone.

No, they don't pass much...only 13/14 passes a game, but when you are as efficient as they are on the ground.....

sorry about the mistake....going off what some others have said...either way, the Option has exactly that----options. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

matfu
November 18th, 2007, 10:57 PM
wofford played to perfection when they played us (furman). even their offensive coordinator said EVERYTHING they did on offense that day worked to perfection. if wofford plays like that, like they did that day, they can beat anybody. the word i would use to describe their offense is CONSISTENCY. kevious johnson was unstoppable against furman that day.
furman, on the other hand looked great the first two series (score 14-14), but was then inconsistent. i can't think of a worse first round game for anyone, particularly a southern team, than to go to montana. put me down for wofford beating montana. i assure you there is no way it won't be a close game (unless wofford wins going away). and by the way, don't underestimate mike ayers, wofford's coach. he is very good and crazy (he will do any trickery at any time).

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2007, 11:01 PM
i can't think of a worse first round game for anyone, particularly a southern team, than to go to montana.

put me down for wofford beating montana.

THat is too funny. xlolx

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2007, 11:07 PM
sorry about the mistake....going off what some others have said...either way, the Option has exactly that----options. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx
No, we are very one dimensional. We only run the ball up the middle. The only way we succeed is that the defense gets bored watching the same running play over and over. They fall asleep, we slip by using three different options. I am sure ya'll don't even need to practice this week, eat plenty of turkey, drink plenty of beer... this game is in the bag....

;)

RE/MAXGriz
November 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM
wofford played to perfection when they played us (furman). even their offensive coordinator said EVERYTHING they did on offense that day worked to perfection. if wofford plays like that, like they did that day, they can beat anybody. the word i would use to describe their offense is CONSISTENCY. kevious johnson was unstoppable against furman that day.
furman, on the other hand looked great the first two series (score 14-14), but was then inconsistent. i can't think of a worse first round game for anyone, particularly a southern team, than to go to montana. put me down for wofford beating montana. i assure you there is no way it won't be a close game (unless wofford wins going away). and by the way, don't underestimate mike ayers, wofford's coach. he is very good and crazy (he will do any trickery at any time).

Well *****....

(sighs)

(kicks rock)

(sighs again)

Guess we should just pack it in then. xrolleyesx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
This will be a great game I think. No telling who wins. I gotta go with the home team, but an upset would probably not really surprise anyone either. Hopefully JMU can win out and get a trip to Montana if they win out. I was thinking JMU might be sent there in round one after the first half of the brackets were announced. Richmond and SIU are the lucky dogs this year, particularly UR. EKU will have a tough time with the spiders, but I am sure they are happier going to UR than to Missoula or Boone.

WCU_FL_Alum
November 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
GO WOFFORD!!

I'll pull for anyone from the SoCon (even App) when it comes playoff time since we are never there and probably won't be anytime soon.

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Well *****....

(sighs)

(kicks rock)

(sighs again)

hey, the sandbagging routine was mine firstxlolx get your own routinexlolx xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I for one can't wait to get back to Wa-Griz stadium and hear a good crowd. I am tired of the wussie/panzy crowds down here, even if they are 60K, they still suck! :D I made it to last years Thanksgiving game and I am making it again this year. I can't wait to see a good game played in a great environment xpeacex

RazorEdge19
November 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Let's take a look at the numbers, eh?

TEAM STATISTICS UM WOFF
--------------------------------------------------------
SCORING....................... 355---------411
Points Per Game............. 32.3--------37.4
RUSHING YARDAGE............... 2039-----3497
Yards gained rushing........ 2319-------3814
Rushing Attempts............ 485--------652
Average Per Rush............ 4.2--------5.4
Average Per Game............ 185.4------317.9
TDs Rushing................. 23 ---------41
PASSING YARDAGE............... 2619------1368
Att-Comp-Int................ 335-201-9-----160-87-9
Average Per Pass............ 7.8---------8.6
Average Per Catch........... 13.0-------15.7
Average Per Game............ 238.1--------124.4
TDs Passing................. 20-----------12
TOTAL OFFENSE................. 4658-------4865
Total Plays................. 820-----------812
Average Per Play............ 5.7----------6.0
Average Per Game............ 423.5--------442.3
FUMBLES-LOST.................. 17-8--------30-12
TIME OF POSSESSION/GAME....... 30:19-----31:21
3RD-DOWN CONVERSIONS.......... 77/168-----61/152
3rd-Down Pct................ 46% ---------40%
TOUCHDOWNS SCORED............. 44 --------56

Those are the offensive numbers for UM and Wofford. Now let's look at each team's strength of schedule to see where we should place the weight of each individual statistic.

Ranking - UM - WOFF:
Sargarin: 13 - 10
GPI: Not yet updated
SOS: To be updated

Now, I'd need to take a glance at the defensive rankings for both the SoCon and Big Sky, but just looking at this, Montana may have to keep up with Wofford....

Baldy
November 18th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Well *****....

(sighs)

(kicks rock)

(sighs again)

xbawlingx xrolleyesx

It is what it is, Wofford is a great team. Sorry the committee didn't send you a sacrificial lamb. xrolleyesx

SeattleGriz
November 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM
A few questions:

-For all the talk about limiting travel, how do they figure sending a team from the SC Upcountry to Montana for the second year in a row? I realize that whomever they sent, it was probably going to be a plane trip regardless, but it does seem strange. For the SoCon champs to be playing an undefeated team in the first round doesn't make too much sense to me, and WoCo probably has the best right to complain of anybody.

-How good is this Montana team really? They beat EWU who is in the playoffs, but they struggled against some bad teams and don't have nearly the quality wins that Wofford does. Granted, they took care of business and definitely deserve a seed for going undefeated in the Big Sky.

-When was the last time Montana faced a style of play similar to Wofford's? It seems like most teams in the BSC like to air it out more often that not. Seeing Wofford in Greenville this year, they really have tweaked their option game, incorporating more shotgun stuff kind of like Appalachian, and have really made they attack more balanced IMO.

This should be a very tough game, but from experience last year, that long trek to big sky country is a tricky one. Good luck to the Terriers.

It will be interesting to see if, and how the crowd noise will effect Wofford, especially since tdoggs22 has stated:

We check every play from the line of scrimmage, thus giving ourselves a chance for success every play if we maintain our assignments

DuckDuckGriz
November 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
It will be interesting to see if, and how the crowd noise will effect Wofford, especially since tdoggs22 has stated:

I'd like to think it would but I think like the spread they check with hand signals anyway so crowd noise wouldn't matter. Does someone want to correct me on this?

mtoliver
November 18th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I have to like Wofford coming off of a bye week as their last game was 11/10. I wonder what that extra week of healing up has done for WC. That said...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS WEEKEND!!!! xrotatehx

Lots of good matchups in the first round... I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be scratching their heads looking at the bracket after this weekend.... xeekx

Tailbone
November 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM
......When was the last time Montana faced a style of play similar to Wofford's?......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Wofford run a version of the Veer option?

Any Griz fans remember the 2003 game against Idaho?
Bobby knows the Veer.

DuckDuckGriz
November 18th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Wofford run a version of the Veer option?

Any Griz fans remember the 2003 game against Idaho?
Bobby knows the Veer.

Jefferson Heidelberger 80 yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. Bobby does know the veer - but does Bobby have enough speed to defend the veer.

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Montana may have to keep up with Wofford....Yes, because our defenses are SO similar. xlolx

Don't worry, I already looked it up for you.

Defense rank (as told by TSN): UM WC

Overall Defense: 31 70
Scoring Defense: 3 55
Passing Efficiency Defense: 12 41
Rushing Defense: 11 46

Let's narrow in on scoring defense:

Rank Team G TD Kxp Oxp Fg Sf Pts PtPg
3. Montana 11 18 16 1 9 1 155 14.1
55. Wofford 11 37 34 0 8 0 280 25.5

As long as you flaunt offensive numbers, you're going to have to look at defense, too. xrulesx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Jefferson Heidelberger 80 yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. Bobby does know the veer - but does Bobby have enough speed to defend the veer.

Yeah I was thinking that earlier as we ran quite a bit of option (for us) in the past few years especially when they would put Kyle Sampson in.

DuckDuckGriz
November 18th, 2007, 11:55 PM
xbawlingx xrolleyesx

It is what it is, Wofford is a great team. Sorry the committee didn't send you a sacrificial lamb. xrolleyesx

Wait.....we are getting a SoCon team right?

xpeacex

Grizaholic17
November 18th, 2007, 11:55 PM

ha, if all else fails, Kroy Beirman can just chase down their whole team:D

DuckDuckGriz
November 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM
ha, if all else fails, Kroy Beirman can just chase down their whole team:D

How true. Kroy makes Chuck Norris look like Jared the Subway guy.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Just finished watching the Bobby Hauck Show, and he seemed a little concerned about our side of the bracket. Hopefully he was just putting a face on. He knows more than he leads on.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Just finished watching the Bobby Hauck Show, and he seemed a little concerned about our side of the bracket. Hopefully he was just putting a face on. He knows more than he leads on.

No I don't think it's putting a face on as anyone looking at this side of the bracket would have to have some real concern. Either side of the bracket this year is really tough but this side looks exceedingly tough to me this year.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2007, 12:24 AM
The griz may as well pack it in, just didnt' play good enough opponents. Not sure why we even would want to play the next game. :D xlolx All kidding aside, the Griz are a bit of a wild card this year to me. I've done my best to follow them since I graduated, but it's hard living out of state. I can't imagine a lot of teams outside the west coast can really know the Griz that well either. I'll be in the stands this weekend cheering the Griz on and win or loose, they have still had a good year.

uofmman1122
November 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Inch and a half to two inches of snow on the ground right now. Hope the terriers packed their electric blankets. xlolx

But seriously, it'll be interesting if the weather stays the same all week. (I'll be having a hell of a drive to Billings on Tuesday if it keeps snowing. :( And I thought last night's rain on the way back from Bozeman was brutal. :()

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Inch and a half to two inches of snow on the ground right now. Hope the terriers packed their electric blankets. xlolx

But seriously, it'll be interesting if the weather stays the same all week. (I'll be having a hell of a drive to Billings on Tuesday if it keeps snowing. :( And I thought last night's rain on the way back from Bozeman was brutal. :()

I imagine it was if you had to drive back to モンタナ大学 !

WyomingGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Sorry the committee didn't send you a sacrificial lamb.

I think someone earier got SOCON mixed up with the Southland Conference:

2006 (W) 31 - 6 McNeese State
2004 (W) 34 - 13 Sam Houston State
& (W) 57 - 7 Northwestern State
2002 (W) 45 - 14 Northwestern State
2001 (W) 28 - 19 Northwestern State
& (W) 49 - 24 Sam Houston State
1996 (W) 48 - 3 Nichols State
1995 (W) 70 - 14 Stephen F. Austin
1994 (W) 30 - 28 McNeese State

...with Griz = (W).

Liberty2005
November 19th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Let's go Wofford! I think they'll beat the Grizzle's

FCS Go!
November 19th, 2007, 07:16 AM
SoCon vs Big Suck?

Wofford 112
Montana 0

Montana has no chance.

GoldandBlack
November 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
SoCon vs Big Suck?

Wofford 112
Montana 0

Montana has no chance.

Obviously, not a Wofford fan-

RazorEdge19
November 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Yes, because our defenses are SO similar. xlolx

Don't worry, I already looked it up for you.

Defense rank (as told by TSN): UM WC

Overall Defense: 31 70
Scoring Defense: 3 55
Passing Efficiency Defense: 12 41
Rushing Defense: 11 46

Let's narrow in on scoring defense:

Rank Team G TD Kxp Oxp Fg Sf Pts PtPg
3. Montana 11 18 16 1 9 1 155 14.1
55. Wofford 11 37 34 0 8 0 280 25.5

As long as you flaunt offensive numbers, you're going to have to look at defense, too. xrulesx

Fine by me. Here's the team with the closest statistics to Montana that Wofford played in the SoCon: Citadel (http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2007/cit.htm#team.tem).

Wofford held them to 0 offensive touchdowns.

As an honest question, who's the team with the most similar offense to Wofford that Montana played this season?

tdoggs22
November 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM
i just watched the highlight video of the Montana/ EWU game, and WOW! was i impressed. What a well produced video! I can see why the Grizz are so successful. It is evident they have the support to attract recruits.

As for the game itself, it seemed as though EWU had the game in their hands towards the end. A late fumble in Montana territory to go along with a missed field goal, and the Grizz still had to make a field goal to win with only seconds remaining. I know how conference foes are readily prepared for another, so i will not pass judgement on this contest.

Montana seems to have a genuine understanding of how to run a program. Qulaity website, quality stadium, and what seems to be a strong fan base. I dont know if Wofford has faced an FCS opponent, outside SOCON rivals GSU and ASU, with such an abundance of pride and tradition. I am really excited about this game! All trash talk aside- this could be a huge step for the minute Wofford Program.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I may have missed it, but has Montana seen an offense like what Wofford runs? I'm not sure if anyone out West runs an option-type offense like what Wofford runs. Anyone know if this will be the first time Montana sees an offense scheme-wise similar to what Wofford does?

A Griz 4ster
November 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I may have missed it, but has Montana seen an offense like what Wofford runs? I'm not sure if anyone out West runs an option-type offense like what Wofford runs. Anyone know if this will be the first time Montana sees an offense scheme-wise similar to what Wofford does?

Not this year. We have a lot of experience with Cal Poly over the past few years. I think they would be most similar, from my limited understanding of what Wofford does. Generally, Griz D's are good against the run. Not so much against the pass.

putter
November 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Not this year. We have a lot of experience with Cal Poly over the past few years. I think they would be most similar, from my limited understanding of what Wofford does. Generally, Griz D's are good against the run. Not so much against the pass.

I would agree, Cal Poly has been the only option team that the Griz have recently played, none this year. Poly really hurt that Griz with that man-child called Ramses Barden! A 6-6 receiver whom they would run a playfake and just throw it up and he would go get it.

This should be a good game against two teams with contrasting styles.

tdoggs22
November 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Montana's defensive struggles sound very similar to Wofford's. A banged up secondary has hampered the Terrier pass defense. Montana probly. holds the edge in that regard as Wofford threw it less than any team in the SOCON.

Griz0383
November 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM
The snow is falling! Did I mention it snowing?

T-Dog
November 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Wofford will run the ball down the middle. Then run it to a side. Then down the middle, then to the side and twice down the middle to confuse you, then down the side again.

Then they might consider passing the ball to throw everyone off. It worked against us. We put 8-9 in the box anticipating the run and they threw it and got some points off of it.

Point being, Woffy will run it 85-90% of the time. They can wear out a defense like no other. Could be a long at at Wa-Griz if you can't hold them on offense.

millwoga1
November 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
At least all of our players are from Ohio instead of SC- little bit colder there than here in the South

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
At least all of our players are from Ohio instead of SC- little bit colder there than here in the South

I don't think it matters too much where you are from, but how long you have been living in a particular locale.

Case in point. I grew up in Montana but lived in Phoenix for 6 years. When I moved from Phoenix to Seattle, it took me about 3 months to adjust. Maybe it was because I kept forgetting my damn coat, but I didn't have the problems adjusting to the heat like I did the cold.

I don't think it will bother many of the players actually playing, but the others who are on the sideline might get a little cold.

putter
November 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Wofford will run the ball down the middle. Then run it to a side. Then down the middle, then to the side and twice down the middle to confuse you, then down the side again.

Then they might consider passing the ball to throw everyone off. It worked against us. We put 8-9 in the box anticipating the run and they threw it and got some points off of it.

Point being, Woffy will run it 85-90% of the time. They can wear out a defense like no other. Could be a long at at Wa-Griz if you can't hold them on offense.

Good thing the Griz are deep on defense. Sounds like we will need it.

woffordgrad94
November 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM
'
DUDE!!!!
Score be da##ed!!!! GO JUST GO!! Enjoy THAT!!! WOW!!! win or lose it will be a good game and go enjoy that weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! I am jealous!!!!

I AM GOING!!! My dad and I both agreed I need to see my sister again, and he's helping me out finacially for a Christmas gift. I will be flying into Spokane about 5 PM Pacific time on Wednesday, and my sister is taking me on to Kalispell from there...she is purchasing tickets for Saturday, and I leave at 9 AM Sunday from Spokane. It's DONE!!!!

WCU LawCat
November 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I hope Wofford keeps UM confused all day and wins going away.

mlbowl
November 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
GO GRIZ!!!

RE/MAXGriz
November 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I AM GOING!!! My dad and I both agreed I need to see my sister again, and he's helping me out finacially for a Christmas gift. I will be flying into Spokane about 5 PM Pacific time on Wednesday, and my sister is taking me on to Kalispell from there...she is purchasing tickets for Saturday, and I leave at 9 AM Sunday from Spokane. It's DONE!!!!

You'll have a blast out here, we've got some great tailgates, feel free to stop on by and say hello, most people can tell you Griz fans (for the most part) are a good group of people to hang with before a football game.

pantheralum16
November 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Indeed, just like when we played App, we simply lack the talent to compete with a superior opponent... xrolleyesx xbowx

This will settle all the SoCon v. Gateway talk.

What?xeyebrowx

BulldogFan
November 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Due to the pundits, the Terriers probably knew beforehand that a Mizzoula trip was in their future. Coach Ayers is preaching the long trip as somewhat disrespectful. Winning the SOCON this year was a war week-in, week-out. Wofford by 10 with clock control and enough defense to escape.

Madisonian
November 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah, but 3 years ago you weren't 7-4. :)

That's true we were 9-2, by the way this year we are 8-3. Check your stats... I believe you thought JMU was in New Hampshire.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM
That's true we were 9-2, by the way this year we are 8-3. Check your stats... I believe you thought JMU was in New Hampshire.

I would be careful with telling AZGriz to check his stats. He gets a little touchy sometimesxthumbsupx

Madisonian
November 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I would be careful with telling AZGriz to check his stats. He gets a little touchy sometimesxthumbsupx

Point taken... if you talk to him, could you mention that he might want to review his records prior to posting. Thanks. Hopefully that was more pleasant..xpeacex

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Eat ***** and die, 17!!! xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

:p

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Eat ***** and die, 17!!! xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

:p

see what I mean! xwhistlex xwhistlex xsmileyclapx

grizdax
November 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Wow, there are some not so smart people in here. Not only should Montana beat Wofford, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Eastern Washington beat McNeese. Weak conference? I would love to see Appy go undefeated in the Big Sky. It'll be real interesting to see what Wofford thinks of a Real Football Stadium. Oh And Lots of Snow.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Wow, there are some not so smart people in here. Not only should Montana beat Wofford, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Eastern Washington beat McNeese. Weak conference? I would love to see Appy go undefeated in the Big Sky. It'll be real interesting to see what Wofford thinks of a Real Football Stadium. Oh And Lots of Snow.

They've all heard about the mecca. Let's not remind them and just let them enjoy it. And Wofford will give us a game. The defense really needs to step up and play true to its solid run defense. And the offense needs to be the balanced machine it's capable of being. xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
November 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah, Wofford's never seen a "Real Football Stadium". xrolleyesx

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM

high school bleachers don't count! Bowls are the best experience ever!!!!!

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM

BUBBA: Have you ever been on a real shrimp boat?
FORREST: No....But I've been on a real big boat.

Don't worry lizrd, we know Woffy doesn't ***** around. xnonox

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Say hello to my brother as you pass Wallace IDxthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
November 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM
high school bleachers don't count! Bowls are the best experience ever!!!!!
And I'm sure WaGriz is peachy. Just don't pretend it's the biggest baddest stadium FCS teams have ever seen. xpeacex

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
And I'm sure WaGriz is peachy. Just don't pretend it's the biggest baddest stadium FCS teams have ever seen. xpeacex

We don't need to

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM

I wonder how many times he's re-told you the story of the fires of 1910.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I wonder how many times he's re-told you the story of the fires of 1910.

probably 1,910 times. GO GRIZ! (have to kind of stay on topicxlolx )

turfdoc
November 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
We don't need to

Actually, WaGriz while being the largest stadium in FCS (and possibly the best game day atmosphere) is far from "the largest that FCS teams have seen" Something tells me YSU and App State saw a couple stadiums more than 4 times larger this year.

What kind of defense do the Griz line up in traditionally, 4:3 or 3:4, Gap or straight up. For me looking at the base defense is the best way to determine if a team will do well against the option.

As far as preparing for the option a team does not need to know how to actually read to run the option. The nice thing about practice is things are scripted so the scout team can know what the defense is doing and the QB can be told who to hand the ball off to before the play starts. Gets the scout squad running closer to full speed, well as close to full speed as any scout squad runs.

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Actually, WaGriz while being the largest stadium in FCS (and possibly the best game day atmosphere) is far from "the largest that FCS teams have seen" Something tells me YSU and App State saw a couple stadiums more than 4 times larger this year.

What kind of defense do the Griz line up in traditionally, 4:3 or 3:4, Gap or straight up. For me looking at the base defense is the best way to determine if a team will do well against the option.

As far as preparing for the option a team does not need to know how to actually read to run the option. The nice thing about practice is things are scripted so the scout team can know what the defense is doing and the QB can be told who to hand the ball off to before the play starts. Gets the scout squad running closer to full speed, well as close to full speed as any scout squad runs.

Oh, we know they have seen larger stadiums! We are just happy with ours. But anyway, the griz are a 4-3 defense. They should have the outside pretty well contained. They will probably stay away from Bierman though.

Tod
November 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
i just watched the highlight video of the Montana/ EWU game, and WOW! was i impressed. What a well produced video! I can see why the Grizz are so successful. It is evident they have the support to attract recruits.

As for the game itself, it seemed as though EWU had the game in their hands towards the end. A late fumble in Montana territory to go along with a missed field goal, and the Grizz still had to make a field goal to win with only seconds remaining. I know how conference foes are readily prepared for another, so i will not pass judgement on this contest.

Montana seems to have a genuine understanding of how to run a program. Qulaity website, quality stadium, and what seems to be a strong fan base. I dont know if Wofford has faced an FCS opponent, outside SOCON rivals GSU and ASU, with such an abundance of pride and tradition. I am really excited about this game! All trash talk aside- this could be a huge step for the minute Wofford Program.

But you should pass judgement, on EWU! Other than this loss (which, as you pointed out, they should have won), they lost to BYU and Portland State (a stumble). Many other playoff teams have stumbled, losing to a team that they shouldn't have on paper (UMass to URI (3-8, like PSU).

grizdax
November 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
If there is one team in the Big Sky I wouldn't want to play again......IT'S EWU. They are going to give McNeese a run for their money.

grizdax
November 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I know it's not in this discussion, but wasn't that one of the better Griz/ Cat matchup's you've ever seen?

GrizBowl
November 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry guys, but the only advantage our beloved Washington-Grizzly stadium will bring us is an opportunity to buy tickets easily. Sadly, the Thanksgiving holiday has always made our first round turnout mediocore at best.

Furthermore, even if this snow somehow lasts (it wont, its a desert climate) temperatures in the thirties shouldn't be an issue to any person in decent physical condition. Missoula just doesn't get the kind of punishing temperatures needed to be a factor this long before January.

Its disapointing to have drawn Wofford in the first round during the only game we're not going to sell out. They deserved to have the full Griz Nation experience

In a way though, I'm happy I'll finally be able to get a ticket and truly find out who's been right all along these last few months. If the Perfect Griz are overrated, then I can think of no better team than Wofford to make that very clear on the scoreboard this Saturday.

However, I'd love nothing more than to cheer on the Griz as they move one step closer to another championship and finally having some actual evidence to rely on in arguing that this isn't some fluff season. What would be even better is if Eastern Washington could upset McNeese St and earn some pride for the conference, I'm starting to beleive that we don't deserve that at-large bid for the team that trails the Griz the least...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry guys, but the only advantage our beloved Washington-Grizzly stadium will bring us is an opportunity to buy tickets easily. Sadly, the Thanksgiving holiday has always made our first round turnout mediocore at best.

Furthermore, even if this snow somehow lasts (it wont, its a desert climate) temperatures in the thirties shouldn't be an issue to any person in decent physical condition. Missoula just doesn't get the kind of punishing temperatures needed to be a factor this long before January.

Its disapointing to have drawn Wofford in the first round during the only game we're not going to sell out. They deserved to have the full Griz Nation experience

In a way though, I'm happy I'll finally be able to get a ticket and truly find out who's been right all along these last few months. If the Perfect Griz are overrated, then I can think of no better team than Wofford to make that very clear on the scoreboard this Saturday.

However, I'd love nothing more than to cheer on the Griz as they move one step closer to another championship and finally having some actual evidence to rely on in arguing that this isn't some fluff season. What would be even better is if Eastern Washington could upset McNeese St and earn some pride for the conference, I'm starting to beleive that we don't deserve that at-large bid for the team that trails the Griz the least...
And why exactly would that be? MSU beating Furman last year? NAU knocking off #1 McNeese? EWU knocking off #1 SIU?

matfu
November 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
is this game going to be available by video streming or whatever thru montana?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
is this game going to be available by video streming or whatever thru montana?

It can be viewed online at this link:
BigSkyTV.org

Satellite coordinates will be posted also later in the week:
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/media/media_fb.htm

Walkon79
November 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I know it's not in this discussion, but wasn't that one of the better Griz/ Cat matchup's you've ever seen?

Helluva game. Just hope the Griz aren't too banged up. Hardest hitting game I've seen since Nov 19, 2006.

How's Lex's hand? Any news on injuries? (Oh, I forgot. This is UM and Bobby doesn't report on injuries):o

WyomingGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I leave at 9 AM Sunday from Spokane. It's DONE!!!!

I'd leave a lot sooner than a mere 9:00 AM on saturday morning. That would only give you four hours till game time (one hour difference between Spokane and Missoula; Daylight Savings Time); it'll take you at least a half hour just to find a parking space once you hit Missoula. Of Course, I generally just park downtown, or near the library; just a short walk from there.

If it was me, I'd leave friday at noon with the sun still out and stay the night in Missoula. Never know what the weather might be like from Spokane through to Missoula. Lookout Pass as such. Mountain area. Anything can transpire this time of year. Freak snow storm, etc. I generally gauge two hours driving per every hundred miles after the third week of november if driving in Montana). It's 169 miles in between, the last I checked. Be careful and wish you a save trip.

fencer24
November 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I would be curious to hear from a JMU fan who remembers the 2004 team compared to Wofford this year. That year, our LBs were all sophmores, and we had a tough time dealing with that huge offensive line, especially in between the hash marks. :) Since then, the LBs have improved dramatically, and I don't think that anyone on the DL had the speed and range of Bierman. I mean crimeny, rushing the passer then chasing down the WR to make the tackle? That was awesome.
Is Wofford faster than that JMU team? I understand that their OL is not as big as JMU's was.

Griz Fan
November 19th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Montana has seen the misdirection plays, strong running backs and trick plays in the UMass game last year. Our offense beat us in that game and will not be the case this Saturday because we have a much more mobile quarterback and an improved offensive line. The game will be decided in the second half and it will be based on these factors: turnovers, special teams, field position and field goals. Montana has the edge here.

FCS Go!
November 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks fencer24, boy I miss Montana. :(

fencer24
November 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Montana has seen the misdirection plays, strong running backs and trick plays in the UMass game last year. Our offense beat us in that game and will not be the case this Saturday because we have a much more mobile quarterback and an improved offensive line. The game will be decided in the second half and it will be based on these factors: turnovers, special teams, field position and field goals. Montana has the edge here.
I agree that our offense beat us last year. Too many slams (concussions?) for Swogger to deal with, and as a result on the last drive - Interception!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Anybody that will be in Missoula on Friday and can attend an AGS get together please check in at this thread:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33231

CrunchGriz
November 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM

Not to mention this feller called "Lex"....

McNeese75
November 19th, 2007, 09:08 PM

How can you have the edge when the game has not even been played? xconfusedx

JALMOND
November 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Whew!!! Got through reading all the posts on this. I need to add a few things on this game, though.

1. I do not think the committee did either of these teams a favor in scheduling this game. Two conference champions of two historically strong conferences that have performed valiantly in the playoff the last few years. By giving Wofford Montana in the first round basically said that the best team in the SoCon this year was App State, even though they did not win the conference (and actually lost to the Terriers). By giving Montana Wofford basically the committee is telling the Grizzlies to show just how tough they are. The lack of a "favor" for both teams in this game is glaring.

2. That said, for a team that has only played outside of the Carolinas once all year, the Terriers now have to go almost clear across the whole country to a hostile venue in an unfamiliar landscape to face a conference champion that they really do not know anything about (team or area). The unfamiliarity does work both ways as my brother, a Griz graduate, had never heard of Wofford until the pairings were announced (he doesn't get out very often). I'm sure there are others in Missoula that are in the same predicament.

3. Will the bye week before the playoffs help Wofford? There was some talk about the Terriers playing Montana, but what I heard more was that Wofford was probably going to go to Richmond. Did the Terriers know they would be going to Montana? How much practice did they get in the bye week to face the Grizzlies?

That said, one thing about the Grizzlies is that, the way to score 30+ points on them is to pass the ball a lot and often. This is not Wofford's style. I see one of the better games in the first round, but in the end...Montana 24, Wofford 21.

Griz Fan
November 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
How can you have the edge when the game has not even been played? xconfusedx

MT has the edge in these aspects of the game as it has been proven in games this year, so maybe I am giving away too much because this is an advantage. You're right the game has not been played, these remarks are obviously speculation based on my opinion.
It seems to me there have been a number of opinions on this thread, mine
is just more defined.

woffordgrad94
November 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM

OK, and I'll also say hi to Ben Widmyer's folks as I pass through Couer d' Alene, Idaho. For those who don't know, Ben is Wofford's backup QB and will be next year's starter.

Peems
November 19th, 2007, 09:38 PM
OK, and I'll also say hi to Ben Widmyer's folks as I pass through Couer d' Alene, Idaho. For those who don't know, Ben is Wofford's backup QB and will be next year's starter.

what's an Idaho boy doing all the way down south in SC?

woffordgrad94
November 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'd leave a lot sooner than a mere 9:00 AM on saturday morning. That would only give you four hours till game time (one hour difference between Spokane and Missoula; Daylight Savings Time); it'll take you at least a half hour just to find a parking space once you hit Missoula. Of Course, I generally just park downtown, or near the library; just a short walk from there.

If it was me, I'd leave friday at noon with the sun still out and stay the night in Missoula. Never know what the weather might be like from Spokane through to Missoula. Lookout Pass as such. Mountain area. Anything can transpire this time of year. Freak snow storm, etc. I generally gauge two hours driving per every hundred miles after the third week of november if driving in Montana). It's 169 miles in between, the last I checked. Be careful and wish you a save trip.

Sorry, but I think I there's some confusion. I am leaving from the airport in Spokane Sunday morning at 9 to fly back home. My sister and I are leaving at 6AM Saturday morning (her idea) for the game. I argued, but she insisted we need that much time! A motel overnight in Missoula is too much of an added expense, though, and we both agree on that!

WyomingGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
O.K., 'Woffordgrad94.' I misread that earlier posting of yours. I misread sunday for saturday. 123 miles from Kalispell to Missoula, I'd agree with your sister on leaving early. But that depends on the weather, I guess. Should be a better road than the last time I was on it, heard they've been having construction projects. Had some the last time. They may be working on the weekends before the winter really hits. Something to look into maybe.

terrierbob
November 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM

North Carolina began re-introducing elk to the NC mountains (hills to MT residents, maybe ) a few years ago. They were killed off in the late 19th century. My wife and I saw the small herd a couple of years ago.

http://www.ncelk.org/newelk.htm

terrierbob
November 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM
BigSkyTV.org

Let us know if they get NCAA approval!!

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Whew!!! Got through reading all the posts on this. I need to add a few things on this game, though.

1. I do not think the committee did either of these teams a favor in scheduling this game. Two conference champions of two historically strong conferences that have performed valiantly in the playoff the last few years. By giving Wofford Montana in the first round basically said that the best team in the SoCon this year was App State, even though they did not win the conference (and actually lost to the Terriers). By giving Montana Wofford basically the committee is telling the Grizzlies to show just how tough they are. The lack of a "favor" for both teams in this game is glaring.

2. That said, for a team that has only played outside of the Carolinas once all year, the Terriers now have to go almost clear across the whole country to a hostile venue in an unfamiliar landscape to face a conference champion that they really do not know anything about (team or area). The unfamiliarity does work both ways as my brother, a Griz graduate, had never heard of Wofford until the pairings were announced (he doesn't get out very often). I'm sure there are others in Missoula that are in the same predicament.

3. Will the bye week before the playoffs help Wofford? There was some talk about the Terriers playing Montana, but what I heard more was that Wofford was probably going to go to Richmond. Did the Terriers know they would be going to Montana? How much practice did they get in the bye week to face the Grizzlies?

That said, one thing about the Grizzlies is that, the way to score 30+ points on them is to pass the ball a lot and often. This is not Wofford's style. I see one of the better games in the first round, but in the end...Montana 24, Wofford 21.

I gotta agree with a lot of this. I think there is some serious lack of respect for Wofford here which I think is undue (from everything I've been able to glean reading up on the Terriers). As a second round matchup, I can see this, but as a first round... it's just not fair to Wofford to send them to Montana. (And it's not fair to send as good a team as Wofford to Montana - I mean, what, is the committee TRYING to create great potential first round upsets?)

That's just to say I _like_ the Terriers, dangit, and it's hard not to cheer for them, and I would, if they weren't playing MT.

CrunchGriz
November 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM

Well, checking your roster I note that you do have a few players from the North--17 of 94, if I counted correctly.

Seven of the 17, though, are from around Cincinatti, which has low temps that average around 12 degrees higher than Missoula in November--so they're not necessarily that well prepared for playing in November in Montana.

Heck, the weather may have no effect on either team. I guess we'll have to wait till Saturday to find out.

uofmman1122
November 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I gotta agree with a lot of this. I think there is some serious lack of respect for Wofford here which I think is undue (from everything I've been able to glean reading up on the Terriers). As a second round matchup, I can see this, but as a first round... it's just not fair to Wofford to send them to Montana. (And it's not fair to send as good a team as Wofford to Montana - I mean, what, is the committee TRYING to create great potential first round upsets?)

That's just to say I _like_ the Terriers, dangit, and it's hard not to cheer for them, and I would, if they weren't playing MT.I really do, too. From what I've heard about them and their fans, a match up this classy should have waited. Oh well, let's go ahead and make lemonade out of lemons. Good luck to both teams this weekend. (A little more luck to the Griz, though...):p

ASUdrummer
November 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM

Come tell that to the SoCon Champions trophy that will be in our Field House for the 3rd straight year. Other than that and the final score, I completely agree with you!

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Come tell that to the SoCon Champions trophy that will be in our Field House for the 3rd straight year. Other than that and the final score, I completely agree with you!

Which I still don't agree with, but whatever. GO GRIZ

DaGriz
November 20th, 2007, 09:31 AM
What's Wofford's Defense like? I have seen a lot about their O, but not much on the D. How did they do against a more balanced team like ours? I saw they beat ASU but they run a different O. I saw they hung tough with GSU but unless things have changed, their O is different too. Do they have a good pass rush? Are their linebackers big or fast or both? What are their special teams like too? Any kicking game? Punt return game? Thanks.

Ronbo
November 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Sorry, but I think I there's some confusion. I am leaving from the airport in Spokane Sunday morning at 9 to fly back home. My sister and I are leaving at 6AM Saturday morning (her idea) for the game. I argued, but she insisted we need that much time! A motel overnight in Missoula is too much of an added expense, though, and we both agree on that!

No foul weather forecasted for Saturday. Should be a nice drive over, but getting going early gives you the opportunity to partake in our tailgating. Just wear your Wofford gear and stroll around the tailgate for free beer and food.

james_lawfirm
November 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM
What's Wofford's Defense like? I have seen a lot about their O, but not much on the D. How did they do against a more balanced team like ours? I saw they beat ASU but they run a different O. I saw they hung tough with GSU but unless things have changed, their O is different too. Do they have a good pass rush? Are their linebackers big or fast or both? What are their special teams like too? Any kicking game? Punt return game? Thanks.

Their D never takes the field b/c their O hogs the ball all day. 9 minute drives for TDs are not uncommon. Unlike old-timey option attacks (Oklahoma's comes to mind), it is not unusual for the Terriers to hang 50 on the scoreboard.

When their D plays, they're well-rested. Lots of team speed on both sides of the ball.

Montana fans will be hating this "wingbone", as they call it, by the end of the game.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Their D never takes the field b/c their O hogs the ball all day. 9 minute drives for TDs are not uncommon. Unlike old-timey option attacks (Oklahoma's comes to mind), it is not unusual for the Terriers to hang 50 on the scoreboard.

When their D plays, they're well-rested. Lots of team speed on both sides of the ball.

Montana fans will be hating this "wingbone", as they call it, by the end of the game.

OK, so 50 points, lets round down to 49. That is 7 touchdowns, now multiply by 9 and they keep the ball for 63 minutes a game. That will be pretty darn cool to watch. xthumbsupx

I have no doubt Wofford will be a quality opponent, it is sure nice to be the underdog, not many think the Griz will win. The best part of this all will be, we dont' get to decide, it will be the teams and their coaches and I wouldn't want it any other way! xbowx

matfu
November 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
BigSkyTV.org

i assume this was how i watched the montana state-furman game last year. unlike the video streaming i have watched caa games or southern conf games. it was terrible...very choppy and quite frankly not much better than listening to the game. dose anyone know if the technology or whatever has improved since last year? or maybe that was not a TYPICAL bigsky video streaming???

ps-what time is the game eastern standard time?

mlbowl
November 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
i assume this was how i watched the montana state-furman game last year. unlike the video streaming i have watched caa games or southern conf games. it was terrible...very choppy and quite frankly not much better than listening to the game. dose anyone know if the technology or whatever has improved since last year? or maybe that was not a TYPICAL bigsky video streaming???

2:05 Eastern

SeattleGriz
November 20th, 2007, 10:54 AM

The issue is not the company that broadcasts the game, but the University that provides the feed. Montana seems to struggle with this - which is surprising since we have a radio and television building next to the stadium. Montana's video feed is OK, but the audio usually stinks.

I will say the productions have been better this year, but still not on par with the prices they are charging. But once again, if Montana would give some decent feeds, it would be fine. For example the Northern Arizona broadcast was very nice.

Something of note. I have been a defender of BigSkyTV all season, only to have a "server crash" this last weekend and was forced to buy our rivalry game on ESPN gameplan. I would have at least expected a bulk email to all that were affected, but nothing.

By the way, you will drop the feed consistently if you are connected with anything other than cable internet.

THE HERD
November 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I gotta go with the northern boys! Snow, cold and a hostile crowd Wofford won't know what hit em. The Griz will win by two touchdowns.....write it downxthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
November 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM

We don't need to
You do because FCS teams regularly play in bigger stadiums than WaGriz when playing FBS foes. WaGriz may be the biggest in stadium in FCS but again, it's not the biggest FCS teams have seen. xcoffeex

APPride
November 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Which I still don't agree with, but whatever. GO GRIZ

Whats to agree with? we are sharing the trophy this year xnodx ...the way the Socon was this year we would probably be sharing it w/ any other team that beat us if we had beat Wofford.

Griz40
November 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
what's an Idaho boy doing all the way down south in SC?

I was wondering that too.

URMite
November 20th, 2007, 03:21 PM

If everybody plays their cards right, they still might. Just delayed a week. Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying. xwhistlex

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Woot! I just got my tickets online today for this game. :D :D :D

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Woot! I just got my tickets online today for this game. :D :D :D

Good!! What section are they selling now? I wanna get an idea of how many are gonna show up.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Good!! What section are they selling now? I wanna get an idea of how many are gonna show up.

Well, I have been checking all day, and once it gave me section 125 about 1/2 way up and I bought them. Most of the day it has been 101 or 110. Some better seats should open up tonight and tomorrow, but I didnt' want to chance it when 125 came up, they should be good seats.

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Well, I have been checking all day, and once it gave me section 125 about 1/2 way up and I bought them. Most of the day it has been 101 or 110. Some better seats should open up tonight and tomorrow, but I didnt' want to chance it when 125 came up, they should be good seats.

Yeah, 125 gives some good viewing. Of course there is no bad seat in the stadium. You are very lucky.

turfdoc
November 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM
There has been a lot of talk about Wofford controlling the ball.

Now I did not go back and look but the average time of possession for WC was around 31 minutes (someone poste the stats) unless I am remembering wrong.

Was that statistic skewed by a few games with big break aways or does it just appear WC has the ball more. Just curious.

I think this is the most interesting match up in the first round. IMO if this was at WC I would pick them to win but, at Montana I just do not know.

GoAgs72
November 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM
UM 37 - SUU 17
UM 18 - Weber State 10
UM 24 - EWU 23
UM 17 - Sac St 3
UM 21 - Northern Ariz 16
UM 34 - Portland St 31

etc. - I don't see a great team overwhelming all competition. I see a good team barely beating some other good teams and some not so good teams. A few plays the other way might have put EWU or Portland State in the W column. I'm going with Wofford.

Peems
November 20th, 2007, 05:53 PM
UM 37 - SUU 17
UM 18 - Weber State 10
UM 24 - EWU 23
UM 17 - Sac St 3
UM 21 - Northern Ariz 16
UM 34 - Portland St 31

etc. - I don't see a great team overwhelming all competition. I see a good team barely beating some other good teams and some not so good teams. A few plays the other way might have put EWU or Portland State in the W column. I'm going with Wofford.

Fair go, but you know what I don't see...a loss:D;)

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
UM 37 - SUU 17
UM 18 - Weber State 10
UM 24 - EWU 23
UM 17 - Sac St 3
UM 21 - Northern Ariz 16
UM 34 - Portland St 31

Excuse me while I go take a nap. Tell us something different please. Or maybe say that we did what we had to do throughout the regular season, and Good Luck in the playoffs because I have no idea about the teams in the big sky.xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
UM 37 - SUU 17
UM 18 - Weber State 10
UM 24 - EWU 23
UM 17 - Sac St 3
UM 21 - Northern Ariz 16
UM 34 - Portland St 31

This was basically our margin of victory last year and we got to the semi's...

uofmman1122
November 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
UM 37 - SUU 17
UM 18 - Weber State 10
UM 24 - EWU 23
UM 17 - Sac St 3
UM 21 - Northern Ariz 16
UM 34 - Portland St 31

etc. - I don't see a great team overwhelming all competition. I see a good team barely beating some other good teams and some not so good teams. A few plays the other way might have put EWU or Portland State in the W column. I'm going with Wofford.Conveniently left out:

UM 41 - MSU 20

Oh, wait. It's only a big deal to win against your arch rival at their house by 21 in the last game of the year if you're not Montana.xrolleyesx

boonegoon
November 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Interesting stats: Montana rush defense : 106.5 ypg
Wofford rush offense: 318 ypg
Wofford fumbles : 12
Montana fumbles recovered : 9

Something's gotta give. Can't wait.

AZGrizFan
November 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM

I ALREADY hate it and the game is still 4 days away. xsmhx

AZGrizFan
November 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM
UM 37 - SUU 17
UM 18 - Weber State 10
UM 24 - EWU 23
UM 17 - Sac St 3
UM 21 - Northern Ariz 16
UM 34 - Portland St 31

What about the other 5 games we played?

37-17 over SUU
49-0 over Ft Lewis
52-7 over UNC
27-14 over ISU
41-20 over MSU

And using that logic, what about Wofford's scores?

38-21 over Georgetown of KY??? (d-II)
24-13 over Elon
47-44 over Western Carolina (1-10)
38-35 over GSU

games of 44, 35, 31 points allowed.... xeyebrowx

You give the Griz 35 points and I like our chances! xnodx xnodx xnodx

mschn99
November 20th, 2007, 09:50 PM
As i read through this...i see a ton of people saying the griz cant handle this explosive running game.....

#1 from what research ive done on Wofford....this should be a GREAT game.....honestly a BS game to have as a first rounder with a holiday weekend affecting things....but none the less it should be a great game

#2 ....to all the Wofford fans.... Ask ANY fan of any team that has come to Montana for a playoff game. This will never be your first choice of the team to play at home. An average Griz team at home will play awsome and can beat or give a far superior team a heck of a run for thier money. We are far from an average team this year so dont rule out the effect of home field advantage!! The great thing though is you can expect a VERY friendly crowd that will rib and horse around but is there for nothing but fun, and friends and foes are welcomed in with open arms!!

It just always strikes me as funny when fans from teams that have never come to WaGriz overlook the home field advantage there....it will never gaurantee a win...but it is something to look at considering their record at home!!

Good luck to Wofford and GO GRIZ!! Sounds like this has potential to be one of the best first round matchups (along with the EWU game) that the 1-AA (i just cant stand the name FCS) has seen in a while

AlphaSigMD
November 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I wonder how long until some Griz fan manages to turn the Bear from the Fathead commercial into their avatar?

Its really too funny.

GOKATS
November 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Good luck to Wofford and GO GRIZ!! Sounds like this has potential to be one of the best first round matchups (along with the EWU game) that the 1-AA (i just cant stand the name FCS) has seen in a while

Unfortunately, I don't have either Big Sky team picked to win, but I think EWU has a better shot at a first round win than the griz- just my opinion, but I think EWU is definitely the best team in the BSC this year.

AlphaSigMD
November 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah, Go Wofford! Hopefully Mike can manage to figure out how to get back on track with a big W in the postseason.

I'm in their camp, but still a bit skeptical. Wofford is not playing nearly as well as they did earlier in the season when they beat ASU and dominated Furman. The Elon game was pretty awful, and they really let GSU get away with a lot as well.

I certainly won't be surprised to see them walk away with a win, but I also don't expect them to waltz through the game. The intangibles are squarely in montana's favor, even though i think that wofford at their best is better than Montana at their best.

So, can Wofford put the mojo back in their season and ride off into the sunset at Wa-Griz...tough to say, but I expect a good game. I suspect montana will get outgained, outplayed and outcoached, but find someway not to get outscored.

Montana 27-Wofford 21 OT

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have either Big Sky team picked to win, but I think EWU has a better shot at a first round win than the griz- just my opinion, but I think EWU is definitely the best team in the BSC this year.

I guess we will have to take these coments with a pound of salt ;)

mschn99
November 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM

still bitter about the second half whoopin....or what??xconfusedx

How is EWU DEFINATELY the best team in the BSC?? Three more losses.......oh...wait a minute.....three losses totalxcoffeex and LOST to the griz....hmmm.....they are a good team but the big sky was definately won by the best overall team.....tallent doesnt make a team better...its the team that can win the gamesxthumbsupx

mschn99
November 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I guess we will have to take these coments with a pound of salt ;)

LMFAO!!! And the sad thing is that kitten looks more intimidating than the Bobcats offence did this year!!!xwhistlex

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Here it is if anybody wants it.

GOKATS
November 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM
still bitter about the second half whoopin....or what??xconfusedx

How is EWU DEFINATELY the best team in the BSC?? Three more losses.......oh...wait a minute.....three losses totalxcoffeex and LOST to the griz....hmmm.....they are a good team but the big sky was definately won by the best overall team.....tallent doesnt make a team better...its the team that can win the gamesxthumbsupx

Nothing bitter about it- Cats lost. It's just my opinion that EWU is DEFINITELY the better BSC team this year.

BTW, since you're such a spelling griz, there is only one 'l' in talent.xnodx

No wonder it comes down to FTG!!

GOKATS
November 20th, 2007, 11:30 PM
LMFAO!!! And the sad thing is that kitten looks more intimidating than the Bobcats offence did this year!!!xwhistlex

The 'offences' committed by the Bobcats this year paled in comparison to the "offences" committed by the griz. Sorry to bring it up, no offense.xnodx

mschn99
November 20th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Nothing bitter about it- Cats lost. It's just my opinion that EWU is DEFINITELY the better BSC team this year.

BTW, since you're such a spelling griz, there is only one 'l' in talent.xnodx

No wonder it comes down to FTG!!

argument is so weak you have to pick on an extra L in a wordxwhistlex

LMAO....lets get back to the topic of the thread and talk about the game!!!xsmiley_wix

GOKATS
November 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
argument is so weak you have to pick on an extra L in a wordxwhistlex

LMAO....lets get back to the topic of the thread and talk about the game!!!xsmiley_wix

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex and xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix all you want.

Back up a few posts and you'll see that I was pointing at a lot more than an extra "L". My bad, this isn't smack, but you're a grizidiot.xoopsx