PDA

View Full Version : James Madison @ App State

Pages : [1] 2 3

JMUSaxMRD
November 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
On Saturday, anyone know the time?

Dukie95
November 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Noon, according to ESPN, and the game is on ESPNU.

jmufootball2
Noon on ESPNU

alexale23
The rock is going to look like THE PEBBLE

blur2005
November 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Errr.......xeyebrowx

JMU_Fan_2007
November 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think this is such a bad draw for JMU. the JMU offense will definately score some points. I think the real battle will be JMU D vs AppSt O. Should be a great game...

T-Dog
November 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Noon on ESPNU

Yikes! There's a reason we went to the 3:30 kickoff a few years ago. We don't get that many for Noon games.

JMUSaxMRD
November 18th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I hope the Marching Royal Dukes (JMU's Band) lets a pep band go. If not I will be highly disappointed and may still try to make the trip the the rock. Any advice for visitors from App State people?

Laserlips
November 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I hope the Marching Royal Dukes (JMU's Band) lets a pep band go. If not I will be highly disappointed and may still try to make the trip the the rock. Any advice for visitors from App State people?

FWIW:

I'm not "APP people" but I know enough about playing in Boone to know your guys had better bring their "A" game, and a lunch... :D

J.Pomeroy

ERASU2113
November 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Call and get a hotel now....get to the game early if you want to make sure ya get a spot for tailgating

ERASU2113
November 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Also there's a lot of construction going on around Kidd-Brewer....if you were here last year, the place looks different already

T-Dog
November 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Why does the printout bracket say UMass/Fordham is the noon ESPNU game?

What's for certain?

JMUSaxMRD
November 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'd probably get up early and drive down the morning of and drive back that night. Its a 4.5 hr drive, and I would just want to see the game, not so much worried about tailgating.

The Moody1
November 18th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Noon on ESPNU

On the Bracket show they said that the Umass/Fordham game is on ESPNU at noon. They can't show two games on one channel. Either the show or ESPN's web site is wrong.

ERASU2113
November 18th, 2007, 03:50 PM
David Jackson said the game time had not been announced yet. ESPNU was saying the Del/Del. St game was Fri and the UMass/Fordham was at noon Sat

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
On the Bracket show they said that the Umass/Fordham game is on ESPNU at noon. They can't show two games on one channel. Either the show or ESPN's web site is wrong.

espnu.com has JMU @ ASU has the noon game on espnu

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3117576

back2back
November 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Come into NC on Friday. Stay in Wilkesboro (30 minutes East on 421) to avoid crowd and traffic. Big ski weekend so rooms in Boone are probably already booked. Have a great Thanksgiving. Any JMU fans considering a stay in Wilkes post a reply and I'll give you a couple places to eat. GO APP STATE!!!

james_lawfirm
November 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Hope you can make it. T'giving weekend games are weird. Students have gone & lots of alumni are at grandma's eating dinner. They might come to the game - and they might not. In the past, the first round game has had less than half the avg. attendance. I predict around 14k on Sat. - hope it's more. I presume the ASU band will be there, but I think the way they do it, is it is on a "Volunteers Only" basis. I bet the majority of the 270 band members will probably come back early from grandma's house.

Boone is a great small college town. I suggest:

1) Bring lots of layers of clothes - it could be 70 degrees, 20 degrees, somewhere in between, or both at the game. Wind & precip. can make things interesting.

2) Lots of hotels & places to eat (the KFC makes for great impromptu tailgating). I suggest Makoto's Jap. Steakhouse after the game. We rarely miss it.

3) Have fun, play hard & WELCOME TO THE ROCK!

JMUSaxMRD
November 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Our whole band will not be going, but it is possible that we will bring a pep band (part of our 375 member band, basically volunteers only, and up to whatever limit they set on us) and we will find out more about that tomorrow. I really hope we go, but if we don't and I do decide to come it sounds like I should have no problem getting a ticket :)

Saint3333
November 18th, 2007, 04:20 PM

For tickets check out www.goasu.com. There is a "ticket information" link there. Visitors sit in sections 7 & 8.

The best place to park is likely the parking deck ($5) on the left side of Rivers St., about a quarter of a mile from the stadium. For tailgating try the Greenwood lot at the top on Bodenhiemer Dr.

There likely will not be 28K at the Rock, but the 10-15K that do show up will be the loud onesxnodx.

NovaHater
November 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Beware of the streamers !

Since Montana/Wofford won't be televised, this would be my second choice for the game I want to see, hope you are right that this is the TV game, although I also saw UMass/Fordham advertised.

Can JMU ever get a home game ?

RadMann
November 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Let's go JMU!!

JMUfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
JMU students are getting a GREAT DEAL on tickets and a bus ride down there Saturday. I'll post info wants it's set in stone, but hopefully we'll bring a decent number down there.

Oh, and if you're wearing purple, you're probably gonna be called some great names...so be prepared for that...

JMUfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Since Montana/Wofford won't be televised, this would be my second choice for the game I want to see, hope you are right that this is the TV game, although I also saw UMass/Fordham advertised.

No because the selection committee hates us apparently. If EWU beats McNeese and we beat Appy I could see us having a shot over them seeing as we have 5000 more seats than they do.

T-Dog
November 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM

We know, they came here in 2006 and we go there next year. And knowing how our defense is it should be a wonderful mess to clean up.

Lizzie_ASUband
November 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
as a former band member....it is certain that the entire band will be there (unless they have a darn good reason to give to Tobias ~ our band director). we're required to be at all home games and any playoff games that might occur.

th0m
November 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I really didn't expect JMU to get a home game, and don't really see this as much as a 'screwjob' as last year. It will be a great game for sure.

Saint3333
November 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I really didn't expect JMU to get a home game, and don't really see this as much as a 'screwjob' as last year. It will be a great game for sure.

I'm shocked that JMU doesn't bid more to obtain a home game, I thought they may outbid Richmond.

Does anyone know why they don't bid more?

Madisonian
November 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Agreed. Does an 8-3 Dukes team deserve a home playoff game? I'm going to say no. But, I will be in Boone on Saturday...and yes, I might toss a streamer or two.

Madisonian
November 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm shocked that JMU doesn't bid more to obtain a home game, I thought they may outbid Richmond.

The joys of being a Dukes fan.

JMU_Fan_2007
November 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM

The only team they didn't out-bid was app st. The make the matchups, then look at the bids.

Appguy
November 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
The JMU athletics site -
"Some Web sites Sunday inaccurately listed the contest for ESPN television, but the listing was for the same time as a previously scheduled television playoff game.

Saturday's starting time tentatively has been scheduled to be announced Monday (Nov. 19)."

PLEASE a night game!

Longhorn
November 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
The only team they didn't out-bid was app st. The make the matchups, then look at the bids.

Here's an interesting tidbit...the JMU Sr. VP of Finance (the AD reports directly to him) and who would have to sign-off on any bid...is an App St. alum. xeyebrowx

thmst30
November 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I hope its a night game as well. Who cares if were on ESPNU nobody in the world gets that channel. A night game would be incredible at The Rock. However I bet we don't even come close to filling the seats because its happened the last two years. Everyone leaves for Thanksgiving and the turnout is always embarrassing for a playoff game.

The Moody1
November 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM
The JMU athletics site -
"Some Web sites Sunday inaccurately listed the contest for ESPN television, but the listing was for the same time as a previously scheduled television playoff game.

Saturday's starting time tentatively has been scheduled to be announced Monday (Nov. 19)."

PLEASE a night game!

The NCAA web site also confirms APP is not the Noon Saturday TV game.

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/story/10481751

ERASU2113
November 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I can't wait to hear ESPN complain about the stadium setup like they want

NYJMUSupporter
November 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Is there any chance this game is televised? It will be a shame if this game is not!

The Moody1
November 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Is there any chance this game is televised? It will be a shame if this game is not!

My DVR shows a Div 1 Playoff game at 3:30 on ESPNU. I bet it is our game.

JMUSaxMRD
November 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Another Question, does app state have a free internet radio broadcast? JMU charges now and if I can't make it back to hburg or down to boone I would like a way to keep up with the score. :-P

The Moody1
November 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Another Question, does app state have a free internet radio broadcast? JMU charges now and if I can't make it back to hburg or down to boone I would like a way to keep up with the score. :-P

Yes. www.goasu.com

We also have a video feed for non televised games for $9.95.

Appaholic
November 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Hope you can make it. T'giving weekend games are weird. Students have gone & lots of alumni are at grandma's eating dinner. They might come to the game - and they might not. In the past, the first round game has had less than half the avg. attendance. I predict around 14k on Sat. - hope it's more. I presume the ASU band will be there, but I think the way they do it, is it is on a "Volunteers Only" basis. I bet the majority of the 270 band members will probably come back early from grandma's house.

1) Bring lots of layers of clothes - it could be 70 degrees, 20 degrees, somewhere in between, or both at the game. Wind & precip. can make things interesting.

2) Lots of hotels & places to eat (the KFC makes for great impromptu tailgating). I suggest Makoto's Jap. Steakhouse after the game. We rarely miss it.

Hope your right.....looking back at 1st rd games, I have seen attendance at 3-4k....but this was pre-NC, Mich, etc.......hate the noon kick off.....Friday night or late Sat afternoon would be more conducive to large, rowdy crowd.....

appstate38
November 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Only draw back about playing JMU, other than they have a pretty good offense, is that they are a familar opponent who is usually PRETTY good. Hard to talk as much smack about the Dukes. So come on down to Boone and we will show you a good time.

th0m
November 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM
All I can say is that I'd have less trouble losing to ASU than I had losing to YSU.

appsfan
November 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I agree that this game will make for entertaining TV if it is shown. I expect a hard fought game between two outstanding programs. I would be worried except we do well against purple teams. :)

For JMU fans making the trip, a good weather site which is gives fairly accurate game forecasts is www.raysweather.com. Just click on the Boone forecast and then you can click on their gameday, hour by hour forecast.

Usually, I would suggest getting to the game 6 hours before gametime to have a shot at a good tailgating spot, but since it is a holiday weekend, you probably won't have a problem if you arrive reasonably early. Boone has the usual fast food places to get food before the game. For after the game some of my favorite places include Casa Rustica (Italian), The Red Onion (good variety) and Peppers (sandwiches and entrees.)

Cranium716
November 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Yes. www.goasu.com

We also have a video feed for non televised games for $9.95.

So ASU can stream playoff games?

Hopefully, it won't matter. If it's true and ESPNU is broadcasting the UMass/Fordham game over this game, that would be a disgrace...

Appattk
November 18th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Boone has the usual fast food places to get food before the game. For after the game some of my favorite places include Casa Rustica (Italian), The Red Onion (good variety) and Peppers (sandwiches and entrees.)

I'd like to add Black Cat Burrito and Boone Drug as favorite pre-game stops!

BDKJMU
November 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Not counting the 04' NC game, off the top of my head, since 87, 8 playoff appearances (but the 3rd in 4 seasons):
-2 home games, (1-1)
-10 on the road (including ASU-so far 4-5).

Lost to ASU at ASU in the 1st round of the 95' playoffs 31-24 (after losing @ Marshall in OT in the 94' quarterfinals). I think ASU might have been 11-0 going into that game. JMU was 8-3. xcoffeex

BDKJMU
November 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM
For JMU to get a home game would have to:
-Upset ASU
-EWU upset McNeese,
-JMU would have to outbid EWU.

ALL of them happening are HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

phillyAPP
November 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM
JMU students are getting a GREAT DEAL on tickets and a bus ride down there Saturday. I'll post info wants it's set in stone, but hopefully we'll bring a decent number down there.

Oh, and if you're wearing purple, you're probably gonna be called some great names...so be prepared for that...

You may be right -- the color purple reminds us of the Furballs of Furman.

But the APP fans are getting better about the visitors every game. Come and have fun, just don't go home too happyxsmiley_wix .

APPSTER
November 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
It is pretty likely that this game will kick off at 3:30. ESPN has two games listed for Saturday, the noon game (Fordham - UMass) and then the 3:30 game, which will more than likely be our game.

UDBlueLotFan
November 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM
6-hour tailgate? I'm envious:( UD policy is 4-hoursxbawlingx

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Worse than your stuff in smack. xsmhx

BDKJMU
November 18th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Think the pairings are made based on geography (with conference opponents not being matched up 1st round) THEN the bids are looked at. JMU put together a big bid from what I heard, but there are 5 criteria listed for site determination, attendance history, gate receipts, quality of facility among them. If ASU is averaging about 28 k tickets sold each game, and JMU about 15 k, no way can JMU compete with that.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM

We feel you there. That goes for anywhere you run into opposing college students.

alexale23
November 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM
F@GS WEAR PURPLE was a favorite at the VA TECH JMU game in blacksburg a couple years ago

Appguy
and then the 3:30 game, which will more than likely be our game.

never know, we all did assume wed get the Friday game and we now see how that turned out.

ahh yes, I recall something I heard at the YSU JMU game on espn last year in the crowd - "Nice purple jacket F*^*&^&!!"
classic

CharlestonAppFan
Here's a question regarding your OL....Ralph mentioned something today that you guys lost a couple of linemen yesterday. Is this true? and are your backups experienced or new?

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit...the JMU Sr. VP of Finance (the AD reports directly to him) and who would have to sign-off on any bid...is an App St. alum. xeyebrowx

... and the bids were made before the opponent was chosen. ;)

BDKJMU
November 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
6-hour tailgate? I'm envious:( UD policy is 4-hoursxbawlingx

So is JMU's. The night before or morning of they start ticketing students' or whoevers' cars that are parked in certain Duke club tailgate lots. They open the lots and start checking parking passes 4 hrs before kickoff. But you can get into the tailgate lots before then by driving around the roped off entrances. As long as you have your appropriate parking pass displayed, I've never seen a problem. Some people in there 5, 6, 7 hrs before kickoff tailgating. But 90+ % don't get there till 4 hrs or later before kickoff.

BDKJMU
November 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
JMU Coach Matthews audio on the game. Said he's known Coach Moore all his life...I know Mickey was on the Marshall staff back in the 90s...

http://www.jmusports.com/mediaPlayer/video.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&LCH=1&CLIP_ID=81479&CLIP_FILE_ID=86450&CONTENT_TYPE=ONDEMAND&db_oem_id=14400

alexale23
November 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
WHat do u guys think is the line on this game. I think APP is the favorite by 6

SunCoastBlueHen
November 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I think this is the most interesting pairing in the first round. Should be a barn burner. With all the Southern vs. CAA chatter that has gone on, I can't wait to follow this game. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
November 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Here's a question regarding your OL....Ralph mentioned something today that you guys lost a couple of linemen yesterday. Is this true? and are your backups experienced or new?

Starting right tackle Theo Sherman DNP against Towson due to ankle sprain suffered in practice Thur. Starting center Scott Lemm went out in the second half due to same injury. Player listed in the game notes as the backup left tackle (I know game notes/2 deep rosters aren't always accurate) started at right tackle. Then when the center went down he went from right tackle to center, and the guy listed as the backup center went to right tackle..xeyebrowx Too much shuffling going on their, and the backups are new. Last I read (Sat post game) those 2 injured starters were listed as questionable for a 1st round playoff game.

"NOTES: Lemn was on crutches on the sideline in the second half and Matthews said both he and Sherman are questionable for Saturday’s playoff opener."

If those guys can't play it seriously hurts JMU chances, whatever they may be. It figures...JMU loses their All A-10 last year and pre season All CAA tailback Eugene Holloman out for the season after the 2nd game. W&M game last week JMU gets a starting corner back from injury (he'd missed the UD game) and Towson game yesterday got their starting tightend back from back from injury (missed 2 games) and LC Baker (pre season All CAA at receiver/return man (he'd missed or had been very limited in the previous 5 1/2 games) then lose the 2 O lineman. Its one thing after another...xsmhx

I think JMU runs a similar/same offense as ASU. Mostly shotgun read option zone blocking spread. JMU's QB Rodney Landers had 171 on the ground against W&M and 150 last week vs Towson. Now has 1144 on the season. How has ASU done against rushing QBs? JMUs tailbacks are pretty much a tandem of Bolton and Yancey know (600 some yards rushing apiece) and 4 more backs between 100-200 (Holloman now out being one of those)

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_sunday_details.php?AID=13403&CHID=52&sub=James%20Madison%20University
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/teamcume.htm

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM
All I can say is that I'd have less trouble losing to ASU than I had losing to YSU.

If I were a Duke I'd be pissed didn't the highly ranked Dukes get sent on the road to seeded Youngstown for the first round last year? UMass home game, Del home game, Richmond home game, JMU on the road again!! xconfusedx Did y'all beat up Umass' AD's kid for lunch money.?

proasu89
November 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Starting right tackle Theo Sherman DNP against Towson due to ankle sprain suffered in practice Thur. Starting center Scott Lemm went out in the second half due to same injury. Player listed in the game notes as the backup left tackle (I know game notes/2 deep rosters aren't always accurate) started at right tackle. Then when the center went down he went from right tackle to center, and the guy listed as the backup center went to right tackle..xeyebrowx Too much shuffling going on their, and the backups are new. Last I read (Sat post game) those 2 injured starters were listed as questionable for a 1st round playoff game.

"NOTES: Lemn was on crutches on the sideline in the second half and Matthews said both he and Sherman are questionable for Saturday’s playoff opener."

If those guys can't play it seriously hurts JMU chances, whatever they may be. It figures...JMU loses their All A-10 last year and pre season All CAA tailback Eugene Holloman out for the season after the 2nd game. W&M game last week JMU gets a starting corner back from injury (he'd missed the UD game) and Towson game yesterday got their starting tightend back from back from injury (missed 2 games) and LC Baker (pre season All CAA at receiver/return man (he'd missed or had been very limited in the previous 5 1/2 games) then lose the 2 O lineman. Its one thing after another...xsmhx

I think JMU runs a similar/same offense as ASU. Mostly shotgun read option zone blocking spread. JMU's QB Rodney Landers had 171 on the ground against W&M and 150 last week vs Towson. Now has 1144 on the season. How has ASU done against rushing QBs? JMUs tailbacks are pretty much a tandem of Bolton and Yancey know (600 some yards rushing apiece) and 4 more backs between 100-200 (Holloman now out being one of those)

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_sunday_details.php?AID=13403&CHID=52&sub=James%20Madison%20University

Against Jayson Foster.................

Not Too Goodxoopsx

alexale23
November 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
We are used to it and expected it. Good thing is we can win on the road. Del and RIch both both beat us so they deserve it over us and Umass got the AQ.

CharlestonAppFan
November 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM

What?xnutsx xlolx xlolx

CharlestonAppFan
November 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM

It doesn't matter who is rushing with the ball...we can't stop it anyhowxbawlingx xnonono2x

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
It doesn't matter who is rushing with the ball...we can't stop it anyhowxbawlingx xnonono2x

Our rush D stepped up in the second half against UTC. We started putting eight in the box and trusted our DBs to make plays--which they did. I think that is what we're going to have to do if our D-line continues to be as vulnerable as it has been. The adjustment worked well there, and hopefully we can continue to play that way.

CharlestonAppFan
November 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Our rush D stepped up in the second half against UTC. We started putting eight in the box and trusted our DBs to make plays--which they did. I think that is what we're going to have to do if our D-line continues to be as vulnerable as it has been. The adjustment worked well there, and hopefully we can continue to play that way.

I was actually very impressed with our DL play the 2nd half yesterday; but I believe it was more to do with their ineffective QB play. In all the games I've seen this year, it looks like the LB's are not in positions to make the plays....that and our inability to make sure tackles.

JMU's QB runs very effectively, but with their OL issues and the zone blocking technique, I'm anxious to see how our DL responds to their inexperience.

Very Short President
November 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I, President James Madison, will be very anxious to view this sporting match on the television machine.

JMU 27
ASU 24

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 09:14 PM

not mostly... i dont know about jmu but app literally has not gone under center all year...

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I, President James Madison, will be very anxious to view this sporting match on the television machine.

JMU 27
ASU 24

we havent scored less than 32 points all year... honestly what makes you think you can be the first???

not smack just curious

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I was actually very impressed with our DL play the 2nd half yesterday; but I believe it was more to do with their ineffective QB play. In all the games I've seen this year, it looks like the LB's are not in positions to make the plays....that and our inability to make sure tackles.

JMU's QB runs very effectively, but with their OL issues and the zone blocking technique, I'm anxious to see how our DL responds to their inexperience.

Our LBs have performed fairly well recently I think. And, if I'm not mistaken Jacque Roman leads the team in tackles. I am also anxious to see how DJ Smith performs in the playoffs. He's been riding high since getting the starting job over Cam, but he's about to be play in his biggest game yet.

Appstate29
November 18th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Really Glad this game is Saturday, didn't think I'd get a chance to make the Friday game, but Saturday is definitely do-able. Heres to seeing all the App and JMU fans there!

GeeWiz
November 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Good luck JMU! xthumbsupx

Great match-up of two of the most versatile QB's in FCS in Armanti Edwards and Rodney Landers! xnodx

JMU1992
November 19th, 2007, 12:14 AM
It is pretty likely that this game will kick off at 3:30. ESPN has two games listed for Saturday, the noon game (Fordham - UMass) and then the 3:30 game, which will more than likely be our game.

All of the ESPN's have games scheduled for 3:30.

ESPNU - Duke/UNC
ESPN - Kansas ST./Fresno St.
ESPN2 - Notre Dame/Stanford

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 12:32 AM
It's a shame if ASU/JMU will not be televised.

I'll be there regardless :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2007, 12:54 AM
A couple of thoughts from the JMU side for those App St. not keeping up with things in our house lately.

As far as injuries, I heard a D Lineman say today at the viewing party, "I really hope Scott will be able to play this weekend." I was even surprised to hear he was questionable the way he went of the field. I would list him as doubtful. His backup (forget the name right now) has filled in for him previously this season when Scott Lemm was briefly injured, so he is not 100% green so to speak. Yet, our C is a great player and the biggest loss right now on our team IMO. I think we lost a couple D-linemen as well, but most will be available Saturday I believe. At this point, we're all knicked up in the season. App St. has similar issues, and I believe it a testament to how hard both these teams play when on the field.

We had a TON of false starts Saturday, which was uncharacteristic. Happened both before and after the injury to the center, so that's only part of it. Also, on one side of the field we got flagged incessantly for pass interference, but our DBs were not flagged for what I though was even more physical defending on the other sideline. Towson game was just hard to watch, and I do not think a very good indicator of where the team is at.

Rodney Landers gets a bad rap IMO for his inconsistency in passing. Rumors were spread about his wrist possibly being injured, thus the suddenly errant passes. He was very accurate against the cupcake portion of the schedule, so he can throw if not pressured. I notice that his passes over the center of the field seem to be much better than the sideline passes and corner routes, but for some reason we have not into the middle of the field very much. With our TE Caussin back, the offense looks SO much better. He was a huge loss while out. Still, over the last month, Landers has been shooting high on his passes with regularity. This has got to stop or we won't last long in Boone.

Griff Yancey is coming on strong as a young RB. Antoine Bolton is a more sure handed (The freshman seem to fumble more often in critical spots, like FG winning positions on the field at Delaware xoopsx ), however, he is small listed 5'7" but the kid is 5'4 1/4" technically. Very strong guy, heart of a lion, but most of us are not comfortable with him as the featured back. Noble and Sullivan are also young studs, but their time has been limited, probably due to fumbling, youth and inconsistency in practice (all just conjecture).

WR corps is good, but sometimes they drop the ball. I think part of the problem is that we run it so much, it's as if we don't know what we're doing when we finally pass it. When the offense starts off balanced, the team can put up points with anyone. Unfortunately, it's lately not been until almost half time before the offense plays with the kind of grit you want to see as a fan. Overall, a good balance of Santana Moss like speedsters and the larger 225, 6'2" prototypical WRs.

D is definitely our strength. Stout against the run, although not as good as the last three years, and good against the pass, better than the last three years. Our balanced defense allows for the 10 yard passes, but not many deep balls. Classic bend, don't break zone D. Tony LeZotte and Scotty McGee are leaders in the secondary. McGee played great last week and LeZotte continues to hit as hard as ever, although with the cast he has had trouble catching potential INTs. Baranowski is the beast on the D-line. We had 9 sacks on Towson. I don't expect that on Saturday vs. Edwards, but he will be pressured a lot. We have played against several versatile QBs, so we will be ready for Edwards as much as any Def. can be ready for him.

Special teams - hardly special until this past week. We have two returners back from injuries in LC Baker (WR) and Scotty McGee (DB) who returned the opening kickoff for a TD vs. Towson. Our punter has just lost his grandmother and has has a tough year personally, and it has reflected on the field. I think most of that is behind him now after last week's game where we punted from our own 30 and the ball went into the endzone. He is inconsistent though, with the only punt in the W&M game going for a paltry 10 yards, if that. FG K has been steady and has a great leg. A couple bobbles over the year for a couple missed XPs, but otherwise solid from inside 40. Over 40, still a great K for FCS level football.

Can't wait for the game! Good luck to both teams, and I hope to see the Dukes come away with a big revenge victory! xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 01:12 AM
not mostly... i dont know about jmu but app literally has not gone under center all year...

I don't believe App has gone under center since 2004:)

NYJMUSupporter
November 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
This is going to be a great game. Two proud programs with great fans. I am very excited. Lets hope they can find a TV network to cover it!

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Credit JMU's Win To The Sack Brigade (Commentary)

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13407&CHID=3&sub=

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Off To App State
Madison Draws 1-AA’s Michigan-Slayer In Playoffs

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13418&CHID=3&sub=

LacesOut
November 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Poor JMU. Why does it always seem they get shafted and get a hard game on the road??

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Off To App State
Madison Draws 1-AA’s Michigan-Slayer In Playoffs

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13418&CHID=3&sub=

It sounds like some of your players think they are going to waltz in to Boone and kick our butts. Funny, our players do their talking on the field not in the newspaper. We shall see.

Dukie95
November 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Poor JMU. Why does it always seem they get shafted and get a hard game on the road??

We're over it.

Last year, we felt that we were the #5 "seed" and we really felt screwed by going on the road to a seed. We fully expected to have Hampton at home, since both W&M and Richmond were not in the field. xoopsx

This year, we expected this, so we're taking it in stride. Maybe now the coaches can actually study film instead of bitching about a bad playoff position.

We are, afterall, the only team to win the NC completely on the road.

AppMan
November 19th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Try this link.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/tailgateattherock/index.html

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I just now found out that permission has been given for our entire band to go! Due to it being an away game though it is basically volunteers only, although they are encouraging the whole 375 member band to go. I'm so psyched. See you guys at the game!

biggie
November 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Wished they would hurry and announce the kickoff time. Got tickets already though.

Interesting/Good football weather it seems. High around 39 scattered showers, wintery mix at night. Looking forward to it, last 2 games have been cool by the end but nothing too bad.

mtnman
November 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM
app state defence is not good enough yet to make a run this year.but look out next year if we can find some db that can step in and play good app will be a very good team next year.

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
app state defence is not good enough yet to make a run this year.

But our offense is good enough to make a deep run. Remember, all we have to do is put up more points than the other guy. We just need to play mistake free football and win the turnover battle in order to go all the way. It may not be pretty, but I like our chances in a shootout.

ASUPATCH
November 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Gameday should be mid to upper 30's at kickoff and closer to 28-32 by the time we win.

back2back
November 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Game time, anyone?

JMUKev
November 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Probably won't be announced until late afternoon, if we're lucky.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I used to have the App St message board linked, but it no longer works for me. Anyone have the link for me?

th0m
November 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
It sounds like some of your players think they are going to waltz in to Boone and kick our butts. Funny, our players do their talking on the field not in the newspaper. We shall see.

They're simply confident and in no way disrespecting your team or saying they're going to win. I don't see what you're griping about.

ASUPATCH
November 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I used to have the App St message board linked, but it no longer works for me. Anyone have the link for me?

I am the co-founder of appcountry.com
and we would love to have you.

proasu89
November 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=991

Mountaineer Message Board
AppCountry
We also now have a Rivals site as well

MMB is the most active

Also, you can jump to the McNeese Delphi site from the MMB

AshevilleApp
November 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Some of our DLine problems have to do with Tharrington being a pass rusher lined up in a run-stuffer spot. He's got to lay off the up-field stuff and make the right reads. Williams has done a good job on the other side. Our DEs are probably our most suspect part of the defense, honestly....so as soon as the QB/RB gets to the outside we are relying on our LB to make the tackles....typically when they are dropped back to help in pass coverage. I think we did better against Chattanooga because we brought our LBs up in the box to allow them to make run-stuffing plays. Roman and Banks are not super fast so they need to be in on the line to assist. We've got to trust that our veteran secondary can handle the passes over the top then we will be fine.

appstate38
November 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hey JMU fans.... Any chance Landers misses the bus or is deemed ineligible before the game on Saturday????xprayx

We seem to struggle with mobile QB's. Hopefully we can continue the effort we had in the second half on Saturday

asknoquarter21
November 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
i watched the JMU Delaware game a few weeks back and i am not at all concerned about the passing game. We almost need to start 4 LB's and only let Howard in on 3rd and longs.

but our passing game isnt a whole lot better.

should be a lot of running!

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
They're simply confident and in no way disrespecting your team or saying they're going to win. I don't see what you're griping about.

I hope you are kidding.

"We’re going down there, the James Madison Dukes are going to show them how to play. It’s as simple as that.”

Yeah, that must be the definition of being humble. No gripes here, we do our talking on the field.

asknoquarter21
November 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM
did you see the interviews after the michigan game...

our team cant even brag after we win a game

what happens on the field stays on the field

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I just now found out that permission has been given for our entire band to go! Due to it being an away game though it is basically volunteers only, although they are encouraging the whole 375 member band to go. I'm so psyched. See you guys at the game!

Hey SaxMRD....

My son just sent me the text about the MRD's going. How many do you think will make the trip?

Go Dukes.

rjg129
November 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I will be in Boone for this game, the ASU/JMU games are always fun

I just cant figure out why a man would wear purple

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I will be in Boone for this game, the ASU/JMU games are always fun

I just cant figure out why a man would wear purple

Champions wear purple. 2004 National Champions xnodx xthumbsupx

Go Dukes......

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
i watched the JMU Delaware game a few weeks back and i am not at all concerned about the passing game. We almost need to start 4 LB's and only let Howard in on 3rd and longs.

but our passing game isnt a whole lot better.

should be a lot of running!

Well, we were short on WRs and missing our beast of a TE. Did you notice the TD to the TE called back on offsetting penalties? That is how Landers usually throws. Effectively over the middle for 20 yard gains, but he struggles with sideline passes (aims too high). Unfortunately, the offense is designed for more sideline passes than deep crossing routes. We might try 1-2 deep passes per game and he throws these very well. Overall, with our key players back healthy I feel much better than I did at Delaware.

Considering he has passed for over 1500 yards and 12 TDs, rushed for 1100 yards and 12 TDs, and completed 63% of his passes, I am not really sure where all the talk of him being so inaccurate comes from. Rascati was hailed for his accuracy and yet had a career completion % just under 70%, so about 5% more accurate than Landers. He had a couple bad games against UD and UR, but even in those games we nearly won.

App St. using 4 LBs sounds like a good plan if your defense can run it.

This should be a hell of a game. Plenty of motivation after last year's loss. xnodx

Black Saturday
November 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
app state defence is not good enough yet to make a run this year.but look out next year if we can find some db that can step in and play good app will be a very good team next year.

I think you are looking at the glass half-empty, The otherside of the glass half-full is that the offense is strong enough to make a run this year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
App St. is definitely a contender to win it all. They are defending champions until somebody beats them in the playoffs.

Remember the saying, though, defense wins championships. It usually holds true.

It seems like the entire SoCon was down a little on defense, or they were just better than usual on offense. Perhaps a little of both. Certainly Furman usually has great LBs and tough defenses. App St. is down a bit on D from the last two years. Overall, that makes a difference in the scoring.

I would argue the reverse is true in the CAA. UNH losing 4 games in the CAA proves just how good defenses are in the CAA. That doesn't mean I expect all 5 CAA teams to advance past round 1, but all are legitimate contenders, except maybe UNH.

JMU might have the toughest road of anyone to make it to Chattanooga - potentially having to win @App St, @McNeese St. and @Montana in the semis. If that were to happen, it's the kind of thing legends are made of, especially if they landed in Chatty vs. UNI! But upsets will in all likelihood take place somewhere, I have my money on the lower half of the brackets.

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I don't know how many band members will be going yet, but there is a meeting tonight at 5pm, so I will let you know after that MRDDad

appfan2008
November 19th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I think you are looking at the glass half-empty, The otherside of the glass half-full is that the offense is strong enough to make a run this year.

the offense is more than half full... the damn glass is full!... if armanti remembers it is ok to actually throw the ball occasionally and looks to more than the first option... how often are guys wide open and he doesnt even look towards them!

appfan2008
November 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
also got my tickets this morning from the ticket office... would love to find out when the game is... would love for it to be at 330 but you can never tell with these espn guys... also i know it is old news but i am so glad the game is not on friday...

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I don't know how many band members will be going yet, but there is a meeting tonight at 5pm, so I will let you know after that MRDDad

.......I'm actually headed back to JMU within the hour. My son has a concert this evening so I will get all the details.

Go Dukes

th0m
November 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I hope you are kidding.

"We’re going down there, the James Madison Dukes are going to show them how to play. It’s as simple as that.”

Yeah, that must be the definition of being humble. No gripes here, we do our talking on the field.

I never said anything about being humble.

How is Armanti Edwards for saturday's game by the way? Is he 100% and expected to play, or not?

ASUG8
November 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
How is Armanti Edwards for saturday's game by the way? Is he 100% and expected to play, or not?

No, unfortunately he's at 120%, and will probably play until Moore takes him out to throw our underachieving second string QB in, who is only 110%.

Should be a good game - look forward to see what the Duke's bring to the Rock!

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I can't wait for this game.

More than likely I will be in the ASU student section!!

A close cousin of mine goes to ASU and can get me and my friends tickets for like $5.

I think this matchup works out well for JMU. Our defense has at least seen what Edwards is capable of since we faced him for much of the game last year (without much success). On the other hand, our offense is a lot different than what ASU faced last year and will at least be a change they have to prepare for.

Granted ASU's defense has faced the spread all day/year in practice, but that didn't help them out much with GSU (which confused me) and I'm hoping for a like result. I think that Landers is more like Foster than Edwards. Edwards is a lot faster, but Landers and Foster are bigger.

As others have pointed out, don't use the Delaware game as the marker for our passing game, Caussin plays a big role in that regard and was out for UD.

LacesOut
November 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
As others have pointed out, don't use the Delaware game as the marker for our passing game, Caussin plays a big role in that regard and was out for UD.

You guys didn't even need a passing game to beat UD. Ya just needed to hold on to the damn ball! Four TO's is what killed ya!

Good luck to both teams. It's a great matchup.

ASUG8
November 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM

I think this matchup works out well for JMU. Our defense has at least seen what Edwards is capable of since we faced him for much of the game last year (without much success). On the other hand, our offense is a lot different than what ASU faced last year and will at least be a change they have to prepare for.

Granted ASU's defense has faced the spread all day/year in practice, but that didn't help them out much with GSU (which confused me) and I'm hoping for a like result. I think that Landers is more like Foster than Edwards. Edwards is a lot faster, but Landers and Foster are bigger.

I have to admit, our Chattanooga performance was the weakest win we've had all season. I don't know exactly what happened, because it was a much closer game than the final score indicated. They played us very tight up until around the 4th quarter, then started taking a lot of chances leading to some turnovers which we were able to capitalize on. I look for a rebound this week.

ASU's defense is beginning to step up, just not the quantum leaps we'd like to see this time of year. Our D has certainly seen their share of the spread this year, but Jayson Foster was the difference in the GSU game. I'd look for Armanti to continue to make something out of seemingly nothing, and for Richardson to run well. We are generally not a long ball threat, but pass well over the middle in the 10-20 yd range. I think in the grand scheme, you'll need the last possession to beat us because we tend to make most games shootouts. I don't mind giving up points as long as our number is bigger at the end.

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM
No, unfortunately he's at 120%, and will probably play until Moore takes him out to throw our underachieving second string QB in, who is only 110%.

Should be a good game - look forward to see what the Duke's bring to the Rock!

Remember it is the same under achieving second string quarterback who took it to the Dukes last year.

mountaineertider
November 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I don't see why everyone has App scoring under 30 points. We haven't done that all year (even with Trey Trey as our QB). What's so special about JMU's defense that they could do that.

I know everyone's sick of it, but if Michigan's defense can't hold us under 30, I seriously doubt JMU's can. This of course is with little to no research done on the Dukes. It is meant with respect, I'm just under informed on this topic.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I don't see why everyone has App scoring under 30 points. We haven't done that all year (even with Trey Trey as our QB). What's so special about JMU's defense that they could do that.

I know everyone's sick of it, but if Michigan's defense can't hold us under 30, I seriously doubt JMU's can. This of course is with little to no research done on the Dukes. It is meant with respect, I'm just under informed on this topic.

Our run defense (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IAA_teamrushdef&site=org)is good (20th in the country, 4th in the playoff field)(although I'll admit I don't think we've faced somebody as fast as AE). (Furman is tops in the SoCon at 32)

Our pass defense (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IAA_teampassdef&site=org), uh...not so much. We've had lots of DB injuries. (62nd in the country, too far down to count in the playoff field:o )

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Game is at 3:30

http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&groupCode=FBPO&linkID=jmu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Game is at 3:30

http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&groupCode=FBPO&linkID=jmu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode

That works out great. This is our normal starting time so it should be better for the players and fans. I wonder how the TV situation is working out.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
That works out great. This is our normal starting time so it should be better for the players and fans. I wonder how the TV situation is working out.

I don't think ESPN's going to pick it up. From what I heard, they already have a 3:30 game on ESPNU

bandl
November 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I don't think ESPN's going to pick it up. From what I heard, they already have a 3:30 game on ESPNU

I'm very surprised ESPN is not picking up a game involving Appy. After all, Appy beat one of ESPN's darlings...I can't remember who it was, but one of those teams from that upper midwest wasteland.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Foster is quite possibly the fastest player in the FCS sans Dexter Jackson (200 yard SoCon Champ). Landers is much bigger than Foster, but no one not even AE has the speed of Foster.

This game will come down to who can stop the other team's QB and of course turnovers.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm very surprised ESPN is not picking up a game involving Appy. After all, Appy beat one of ESPN's darlings...I can't remember who it was, but one of those teams from that upper midwest wasteland.

Ditton on this.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Foster is quite possibly the fastest player in the FCS sans Dexter Jackson (200 yard SoCon Champ). Landers is much bigger than Foster, but no one not even AE has the speed of Foster.

This game will come down to who can stop the other team's QB and of course turnovers.

:o :o
Ah, jeez, are we still playing with turnovers on??

I was hoping they had adopted the "once the ball touches the ground, it's dead" rule.

alexale23
November 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
i wish i could get down to boone now that the game is not on tv. Im just going to have to freeze my a$$ of in Richmond and watch that game.

biggie
November 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
They are scheduled to show UNC/Dook game, not sure if that will change. Otherwise I'd still believe that SportsSouth will try to get it (SoCon channel).

youwouldno
November 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM

More than likely I will be in the ASU student section!!

A close cousin of mine goes to ASU and can get me and my friends tickets for like $5.

Foster is 5'7. The best SoCon comp for Landers is probably Furman's Renaldo Gray and he did OK against App; 16 carries for 103 yards, 17/24 for 154 and an INT passing. The problem with Landers is that he's had some throwing issues... he hasn't cracked 100 yards passing in the last 3 games. JMU also features primarily speed backs, whereas App is more vulnerable to power backs.

JMU has a really good O-line but I don't think that will be enough for the Dukes.

DRDukes
November 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
You would think that ESPN would want to cover the past 3 National Champions playing each other.

NYJMUSupporter
November 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
If the game is picked up by sports south, is that available on DirectTV?

bandl
November 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
You would think that ESPN would want to cover the past 3 National Champions playing each other.

As far as they are concerned, the National Champion is only a team that that f&ck Mark Mays and Kirk "I go down on myself" Herbstreit agree upon.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
If the game is picked up by sports south, is that available on DirectTV?

I don't think that SportsSouth has that option, but I'm not sure.

biggie
November 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I don't think that SportsSouth has that option, but I'm not sure.

Depends on what area you are in. It is here in NC on DirecTV channel 631.

whitey
November 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Any chance Comcast (CSN or CN8) will broadcast this game in the DC Metro area?

Panic
November 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
ESPNU has Nov. 24th at 3:30 listed as Division I Football Championship...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Here in Boone it's channel 72 on Charter.....

I think SportSouth is regionalized to NC, SC, GA, AL, Tenn, and maybe Va/Miss.

I know it's mainly in the southeast just not sure of the states it gets most of the coverage.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Depends on what area you are in. It is here in NC on DirecTV channel 631.

I know that SportsSouth is on in some locations, I've got it here in Tenn. But I don't think (and I might be wrong) that they can opt to pick up the game at this late of a date.

FWIW, SportSouth has the FSU at Florida game listed at 3:00 on Saturday.

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I would think though if ESPN doesn't televise it, SportSouth or CSN will pick it up.

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I know that SportsSouth is on in some locations, I've got it here in Tenn. But I don't think (and I might be wrong) that they can opt to pick up the game at this late of a date.

FWIW, SportSouth has the FSU at Florida game listed at 3:00 on Saturday.

Yea I would think they could possibly pick it up and air it if they could get it worked out...today.

I figured FSU/Florida would be on CBS or something like it usually has been.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yea I would think they could possibly pick it up and air it if they could get it worked out...today.

I figured FSU/Florida would be on CBS or something like it usually has been.

Sorry, that's basketball...meant to note that in the original message.

I would think they'd have to know today at the latest...

I'll be in attendance anyway (this worked out great for me as ASU is the closest FCS school to my house!!)

Hoboken Dukes
November 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
i still think the game will be on TV. the fancy-schmancy ESPN all-channel guide;

shows the 3:30 game on ESPNU as being a Div-1 championship playoff game. the game at noon is the rivalry week FBS game.

i know on other ESPN sites it still says noon is the FCS playoff game, but i'm holding out hope that the link above is correct.

i also believe this is why the game time wasn't decided until very last (rich vs. eku was announced as 6 pm earlier today, leaving jmu vs app state as the last remaining tbd)

biggie
November 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
i still think the game will be on TV. the fancy-schmancy ESPN all-channel guide;

shows the 3:30 game on ESPNU as being a Div-1 championship playoff game. the game at noon is the rivalry week FBS game.

i know on other ESPN sites it still says noon is the FCS playoff game, but i'm holding out hope that the link above is correct.

i also believe this is why the game time wasn't decided until very last (rich vs. eku was announced as 6 pm earlier today, leaving jmu vs app state as the last remaining tbd)
I think they are going to show a noon game. Maybe they are trying to show the ASU/JMU game as well. It depends on where you look if you see Dook/UNC or FCS game, who knows. Doesn't matter, I can't afford the extra $12 a month to get ESPNU anyway and I'll be at the game.

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I would assume being it's 5pm right now and it hasn't been announced...ESPN is trying to work out something to televise the game. Most likely trying to hammer out the details.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I would assume being it's 5pm right now and it hasn't been announced...ESPN is trying to work out something to televise the game. Most likely trying to hammer out the details.

That's probably a good assumption. ESPNU is definitely showing football at 3:30. What are the FBS options??

Hoboken Dukes
November 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
3:30 FBS - ND vs Stanford (espn 2/360)
oreg vs ucla (abc)
ga vs ga tech (abc)
utah st. vs idaho st
duke vs unc (this is the game many have said is on ESPNU at 3:30, but it clearly says playoffs in the link i sent out...and if they trump our game for that garbage it'll be a crime)
ok state vs ok
texas southern vs houston
k state vs fres stat (espn/360)

that's it.

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
The Duke/UNC game is probably going to be televised locally by Jefferson-Pilot Sports....always do one ACC game a week. Typically a noon game, but I could see them holding off and doing that game.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
3:30 FBS - ND vs Stanford (espn 2/360)
oreg vs ucla (abc)
ga vs ga tech (abc)
utah st. vs idaho st
duke vs unc (this is the game many have said is on ESPNU at 3:30, but it clearly says playoffs in the link i sent out...and if they trump our game for that garbage it'll be a crime)
ok state vs ok
texas southern vs houston
k state vs fres stat (espn/360)

that's it.

OSU-Oklahoma is on FSN.

bench
November 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm not some kind on internet football guru, but what I can understand from a couple of friends who coach, Georgia Southern influence blocked us to death. Meaning, App's linebackers are reading guards. If the guard pulls, the linebackers are going to the side he's pulling toward. The Eagles pulled guards out of the play on purpose to get linebackers out of the way, and then they just ran right up in the gap vacated by the guard. If the defensive tackle can't fill that gap, the LBs are going to be late getting there, and there's no one to make the stop until it gets to the secondary. When the pulling guard got a block on the linebacker on the back side it opened up those cutback runs that they just gashed App with. We never adjusted.

KiddBrewer
November 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
somebody on another thread said it was set at 330, dont know where he got that from, but i would be a lot happier with that than 12.....harder to drink at 7am than 11am...:)

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
somebody on another thread said it was set at 330, dont know where he got that from, but i would be a lot happier with that than 12.....harder to drink at 7am than 11am...:)

Our ticket office has the game at 3:30.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Well, we were short on WRs and missing our beast of a TE. Did you notice the TD to the TE called back on offsetting penalties? That is how Landers usually throws. Effectively over the middle for 20 yard gains, but he struggles with sideline passes (aims too high). Unfortunately, the offense is designed for more sideline passes than deep crossing routes. We might try 1-2 deep passes per game and he throws these very well. Overall, with our key players back healthy I feel much better than I did at Delaware.

Considering he has passed for over 1500 yards and 12 TDs, rushed for 1100 yards and 12 TDs, and completed 63% of his passes, I am not really sure where all the talk of him being so inaccurate comes from. Rascati was hailed for his accuracy and yet had a career completion % just under 70%, so about 5% more accurate than Landers. He had a couple bad games against UD and UR, but even in those games we nearly won.

App St. using 4 LBs sounds like a good plan if your defense can run it.

This should be a hell of a game. Plenty of motivation after last year's loss. xnodx

Landers has rushed for 1144 and passed for 1554
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

We may have our pre season all conference receiver & return man LC Baker (who missed about 1/2 the season: 1/2 the Nova game he was injured in, 3 more games totally, and was VERY limted in 2 more), Caussin at tight end (who missed 2 games before coming back against Towson) and starting corner McGee (who missed the UD game) all back, but we MIGHT be missing 2 starting o-lineman, a position JMU is thin at. Missing those lineman is big. If they both don't play I don't like our chances. Hopefully at least one plays. If both play I like our chances much better.

thmst30
November 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm really tired of 3:30 games. Can we try mixing it up once in a while and having a night game, I still think a night playoff game at The Rock would be beyond amazing.

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'm really tired of 3:30 games. Can we try mixing it up once in a while and having a night game, I still think a night playoff game at The Rock would be beyond amazing.

3:30 games help maximize attendance. I would love to have a higher attendance # than Montana for this game.

GGASU
November 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Just bought my tickets online. Only a couple hundred "seats" left, after that it will be grass tickets only.

1st round last year had around 17k, looking for around 20k on Saturday.

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Just bought my tickets online. Only a couple hundred "seats" left, after that it will be grass tickets only.

1st round last year had around 17k, looking for around 20k on Saturday.

I'd say around that 20k aswell...i know a lot of students are coming back for the game. Especially since it's Saturday and not Friday

thmst30
November 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
We've never had anywhere close to 20k for a 1st round playoff game, I hope that can change this year but I don't see it happening. Way too many people go out of town.

appst97
November 19th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Its Monday, you still have 4 days to practice. Pace yourself and we'll see you on Saturday

Grizaholic17
November 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Its Monday, you still have 4 days to practice. Pace yourself and we'll see you on Saturday

How big are the O-lines of JMU and ASU. I remember when we played JMU in '04, their line was easily averaging 350.

GGASU
November 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM
We've never had anywhere close to 20k for a 1st round playoff game, I hope that can change this year but I don't see it happening. Way too many people go out of town.

Coastal Carolina (9-3) vs. Appalachian State (11-1)
Date: 11/25/2006
Attendance: 16223

Not too bad last year. The only tickets left right now are in section 13 (a little over a hundred) Add some walk-ups for the grass, and 20k should be within reach.

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Come on man, where's the dedication? Beer loves you back whenever you drink it. xnodx

ASUPATCH
November 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
How big are the O-lines of JMU and ASU. I remember when we played JMU in '04, their line was easily averaging 350.

We are small and quick on the oline only having one starter over 300 that being Kerry Brown at 6 foot 6 310. Think the other 4 average around 270-275. Before you dog on it.....our our oline the last two years have been about the saem size and it has seemed to work out well for us.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
App State is going down like a New Jersey Co-ed. :p

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
We're smaller on our o-line, but speed/athleticism makes up for it

NYJMUSupporter
November 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Rodney Landers is listed as questionable for Sat with a lower body injury
=(

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
What are the best options for parking at the stadium or surrounding areas and what time should I arrive at the stadium if the game is at 3:30?

I can't wait to visit the ROCK!!!!

Go Dukes...

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
If you want to get a spot close you'll want to get there EARLY. Greenwood/Raley Lots are close to the stadium which will be the best if you want to be close.

There's a couple of parking decks that are accessible along with smaller lots on campus and within walking distance of the campus

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM
What are the best options for parking at the stadium or surrounding areas and what time should I arrive at the stadium if the game is at 3:30?

Go Dukes...

Get there are around 9am and you can get the Rivers St. deck for $5. Probably your best choice, as Raley will be full by 8 probably as it's now a student/ Yosef Club lot.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
If you want to get a spot close you'll want to get there EARLY. Greenwood/Raley Lots are close to the stadium which will be the best if you want to be close.

There's a couple of parking decks that are accessible along with smaller lots on campus and within walking distance of the campus

How much do the lots generally cost? Are the lots marked for those of us not familar with Boone?

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Rodney Landers is listed as questionable for Sat with a lower body injury
=(

Tricky Mickey's at it again.:)

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Raley is first come first serve I think....what I heard today

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Yeah, JMU averaged 6'10'' and 355 in 04'......xlolx

NYJMUSupporter
November 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I saw Landers at the announcement and he was limping. Drew Dudzik had to play a series in our last game. Lets hope this is Mickey just being precautious. MM would not exagerate an injury the week of a game against an old friend. With that being said, he will play!

ERASU2113
November 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Lots on campus aren't marked but there are officers that can guide you too one to find. Off campus lots are marked with "Paid Parking" signs, typically $5 for them.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM

In 04' the avg was about 6'2" 305...The smallest one was the all American guard Magerko was listed at I think 6'0" and 285 or 290. The biggest was at the time sophomore left tackle Corey Davis at 6'4" 340.

This season their listed avg is 6'3", 306. Starting right tackle Sherman and starting center Lemm are questionable for Saturday with ankle injuries. Listed at backup left tackle #71 Clark started the Towson game at right tackle and finished at center. Listed at backup center 75 Ainsley finished the Towson game at right tackle. Notice how the 2 deep not a single senior. JMU retunrs 10 starters on offense (only losing LC baker at receiver, who's missed about half this season anyway) and 7 on defense for next season, when they should contend for the title next year xthumbsupx . This year I know isn't realistic.

LT 60 Terrence Apted ............. 6-4 ... 335 ... Jr*
---71 Chris Clarke .................. 6-2 ... 280 ... So*
LG 64 Vernon Eason ................ 6-1 ... 315 ... So*
---50 Mike Pope ..................... 6-0 ... 270 ... So*
C 62 Scott Lemn .................... 6-3 ... 285 ... Jr*
--75 Brett Ainsley ................. 6-3 ... 285 ... Fr*
RG 53 Dorian Brooks ............... 6-3 ... 285 ... So*
---50 Mike Pope ..................... 6-0 ... 270 ... So*
RT 76 Theo Sherman ............... 6-4 ... 310 ... Fr*
---78 Arthur Walker ............... 6-3 ... 310 ... Fr*

2 deep is on page 32 of JMU-Towson game notes
http://www.jmusports.com/downloads1/28491.pdf?ATCLID=1310618&SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I saw Landers at the announcement and he was limping. Drew Dudzik had to play a series in our last game. Lets hope this is Mickey just being precautious. MM would not exagerate an injury the week of a game against an old friend. With that being said, he will play!

Yep, he said Dudzik is getting all the reps this week. When I 1st heard I was like xeekx xeekx xbawlingx xbawlingx (no disrespect to Dudzik, but now isn't the time to be losing the horse that brought you). If landers can't go, JMU's chances went from a decent chance to very SLIM, esp if 2 starting o-lineman who are questionable don't play.

Madisonian
November 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Fean not BDK, I am sure Landers is going to be taking it easy this week and Dudzik will be taking the reps. I am willing to bet that the Rodney Landers show airs saturday afternoon.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Fean not BDK, I am sure Landers is going to be taking it easy this week and Dudzik will be taking the reps. I am willing to bet that the Rodney Landers show airs saturday afternoon.

This is a joke, Landers is playing, Mickey's not fooling anyone...xcoffeex

APPST '93
November 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM
SATURDAY TELEVISION/GAME TIME UPDATE: The NCAA has received bids to regionally televise Saturday’s NCAA Division I Championship first-round game between Appalachian and James Madison at Kidd Brewer Stadium. It will review the bids and award the broadcasting rights to the game on Tuesday. Once the rights have been awarded, the television network will select the game’s kickoff time. As soon as the television arrangements and kickoff time are finalized, complete information will be available at GoASU.com.

ab4app
November 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM
This game has all the implications of a semi final game. It is gonna take a near flawless effort for my apps to get the W. Looking at the stats on goasu.com for both teams, JMU is a scary team to face, that rush defense, giving up only 119 yards per game i think. That is pretty stingy.We are gonna need a big day from our wr's. We really need to not turn the ball over which has been a weakness this year. Hopefully some of our banged up boys will be returning to the line up, that always helps. Defense looked good against chatty in the second half, we really have yet to put together a great first and second half. I wouldnt mind if we decided to do that saturdayxnodx . Its gonna be a great game, too bad I cant make it. Is it Saturday yetxrotatehx

APPST '93
November 19th, 2007, 11:07 PM
We really need to not turn the ball over which has been a weakness this year.

Keep the ball out of Devon Moore's hands.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Didn't someone post that it was a 3:30 game?

KiddBrewer
November 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Get there are around 9am and you can get the Rivers St. deck for $5. Probably your best choice, as Raley will be full by 8 probably as it's now a student/ Yosef Club lot.

no way in the world Raley is full by 8am, i say it wont be full til around 12....i was there last week and it wasnt full til bout 11, and there wont be near as many folks this week.

KiddBrewer
November 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Go Dukes...

ha id say Greenwood Lot is your best chance if you dont neccessarily want to be surrounded by a 100 percent group of App fans, who have consumed a lot of alcohol......to get to greenwood.....go down rivers street from 321 (turn left at the main entrance).....go through 3 lights, turn left at 4th light (bodenheimer drive) and go all the way to the top of that hill until you get to the chancellor's house on the left........thats your best chance of being around some good app and jmu fans, and by good i mean sain.xcoffeex

KiddBrewer
November 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Come on man, where's the dedication? Beer loves you back whenever you drink it. xnodx

touche brother, it does wake you right up early in the morning, however it can also put you back to sleep by 330

APPST '93
November 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
no way in the world Raley is full by 8am, i say it wont be full til around 12....i was there last week and it wasnt full til bout 11, and there wont be near as many folks this week.

Raley is student and Yosef parking. They may open the lot to the public this weekend but who knows?

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Any advice on hotel rooms in the area? I'm actually looking within a hour drive of the stadium.

feb18blacksunday
November 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Wilkesboro (421) or Lenior areas(321) @ 45 minutes to Kid Brewer.

ASUdrummer
November 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Boone: The Best Western, Greystone Lodge, LaQuinta, Comfort Suites, Fairfield, and others...Stay away from the Red Carpet Inn, Scottish Inn, Broyhill Inn (on campus but too expensive for the rooms), anything with the word MOTEL! haha...hope this helped.

Also, check on anything in Blowing Rock as it's only a 15-20 minute drive from campus. Best of Luck!

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Baronowsky the CAA and Sports Network National Defensive Player Of The Week:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4113496.htm
http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1321629

CAA website says he got 5 sacks, and sports network says he finished the season with 4.5 (for the entire season)? I wish these idiot sportswriters would get it right!

McGee also CAA Special Teams POTW for 103 yard kick return for TD. Now they're calling it 100.

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2007, 05:10 AM
All CAA teams (remember, this is for 12 teams, not your typical I-AA league of 7-8:

1st team:
-Center Scott Lemn - questionable for saturday
-Defensive tackle John Baranowsky
-Safety Tony LeZotte - 1st team

2nd team:
-QB Rodney Landers
-Kicker David Stannard
-Defensive end Hassan-Abdul-Wahid
-Linebacker Justin Barnes
-Cornerback Evan McCullough

3rd team
-WR & PR LC Baker (despite missing about 1/2 the season
-Offensive tackle Terrence Apted
-Punter Jason Pritchard xeekx Punter getting 3rd team? Scratching my head at that. Punting sucked most of the year.

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1322562

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2007, 05:19 AM
JMU QB Out?
Sore Ankle May Sideline Landers

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13431&CHID=3&sub=

No offense to Dudzik, he a quality backup and will be the starter in 2 seasons, but has no experience. If Landers can't go, JMU is screwed.

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2007, 05:26 AM
"Sherman rolled his ankle near the end of practice Thursday. Brett Ainsley replaced him in Saturday’s game. Matthews said senior fullback Marvin Brown might be moved to tackle this week if Sherman doesn’t improve."

Brown is the #1 fullback and #2 tightend. He's listed at 6'1", 275. Mickey has said he's 280, and the guy can block. Mickey callled him the best blocking tight end in the league. As far as running pass routes/catching, that's another matter. Whenever he (rarely) has a pass thrown his way and catches the ball, I'm like, "Come on Biggins!". He's more like a guard with a 43 # jersey.

"Before the Towson game, Matthews commented about how healthy JMU was. Apparently, he should have knocked on wood. The Dukes, who lost tailback Eugene Holloman for the year with a knee injury early in the season, will also be without cornerback Darrieus Ramsey (ankle) and defensive end Shelton Johnson (ankle)."

Those last 2 aren't starters, but lsoing ramsey leaves JMU with only 3 quality, experienced corners.

“Anyone on our level of football, that’s the last place you want to go play,” Matthews said. “ … I wish we were playing Fordham, but we’re not. I’m sure the other three teams in our league wouldn’t trade with us.”

Actually, the CAA placed five teams in the playoffs. The fifth — 7-4 New Hampshire — is traveling to top-seeded Northern Iowa.

“New Hampshire was just happy to get in,” Matthews quipped. “They would have gone against Green Bay.”

APPST '93
November 20th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Appalachian's offense ranks among the nation’s top 10 in scoring (42.8 ppg — second), total offense (481.2 ypg — third), rushing (273.3 ypg — fourth) and pass efficiency (152.46 — 10th). xthumbsupx

APPST '93
November 20th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Scotty McGee was even more outspoken.

“Who cares?” McGee asked, when he was reminded of App’s resumé. “Who cares? We’re playing football and anything can happen on any given day. I’m not worried about that. I’m not worried about what they did to Michigan. That don’t matter. We’re going down there, the James Madison Dukes are going to show them how to play. It’s as simple as that.” xnonox

Is McGee one of your best players? I hope he likes jam with his toast. :D

HiHiYikas
November 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Raley is student and Yosef parking. They may open the lot to the public this weekend but who knows?
There's usually a student lottery for Raley spots, run by the SGA. This Saturday, students are first-come, first-served beginning at 8:30 w/Student ID.

I think I'll try to get into Raley. I like Greenwood, but I'm not wild about hiking up that hill after the game, or having to come in the stadium from the back way.

ASUG8
November 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM
JMU QB Out?
Sore Ankle May Sideline Landers

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13431&CHID=3&sub=

No offense to Dudzik, he a quality backup and will be the starter in 2 seasons, but has no experience. If Landers can't go, JMU is screwed.

Too bad -we'd like to play you at full strength if possible.

Saint3333
November 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Too bad -we'd like to play you at full strength if possible.

I don't buy this smoke screen for a second. Nice try Mickey, Landers will start Saturday.

appstate38
November 20th, 2007, 08:10 AM
If Coach Moore and Coach Matthews weren't such good friends I would almost be tempted to say this smells like a bit of gamesmanship on the part of the Dukes. But considering that we have Coach Matthews to thank for inspiring our coaching staff to make that QB change last year, what can we say. Hope Landers is able to play.

mcveyrl
November 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM
If Coach Moore and Coach Matthews weren't such good friends I would almost be tempted to say this smells like a bit of gamesmanship on the part of the Dukes. But considering that we have Coach Matthews to thank for inspiring our coaching staff to make that QB change last year, what can we say. Hope Landers is able to play.

Even with the friendship, I think it might be some gamesmanship. I've got good friends I compete with every day (both professionally and personally) and we constantly engage in "antics" like this.

I'm sure Coach Moore's aware of that, too.

ASUG8
November 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM
All CAA teams (remember, this is for 12 teams, not your typical I-AA league of 7-8:

1st team:
-Center Scott Lemn - questionable for saturday
-Defensive tackle John Baranowsky
-Safety Tony LeZotte - 1st team

2nd team:
-QB Rodney Landers
-Kicker David Stannard
-Defensive end Hassan-Abdul-Wahid
-Linebacker Justin Barnes
-Cornerback Evan McCullough

3rd team
-WR & PR LC Baker (despite missing about 1/2 the season
-Offensive tackle Terrence Apted
-Punter Jason Pritchard xeekx Punter getting 3rd team? Scratching my head at that. Punting sucked most of the year.

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1322562

SoCon (only 8 teams)
1st Team:
Corey Lynch - SoCon defensive player of the year
Kerry Brown - Jacobs Blocking Trophy
Kevin Richardson - Buck Buchanan Award Candidate, and Payton award candidate
Scott Suttle - center
Gary Tharrington - Defensive end
Jerome Touchstone - cornerback
Julian Rauch - place kicker

2nd Team:
Armanti Edwards - QB or RB - I can't remember
Brad Coley - offensive tackle
Dexter Jackson - wide receiver
Anthony Williams - defensive tackle

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
We’re going down there, the James Madison Dukes are going to show them how to play. It’s as simple as that.” xnonox

Is McGee one of your best players? I hope he likes jam with his toast. :D

He has been out for quite a bit of this season, but he plays extremely well when in. He wanted to be a RB and came to JMU over Tennessee for that reason. Unfortunately for him, he has had to swallow his pride and play at DB instead, the same position he was recruited for at Tennessee. As a kickoff returner, he is awesome! Ran the one back vs. YSU in the playoffs last year and last week set a JMU record with the 103 yard return.

As far as his confidence, understand that this kid has been through hell and back. He is not intimidated by ASU and I think that's all he is trying to say. It's not like he was talking crazy smack or anything - just a little fun stuff. Probably bulletin board material, but really, all players have their moments.

Check out this article about him. You still won't like the above quote, of course, but you might find a soft spot in your heart for the effort he has made to play with the hand he was dealt in overcoming his brother's death.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13350&CHID=3&sub=

JMU2004
November 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Mcgee was not downplaying ASU. The reporter probably asked him something like "how can you expect to compete against a team that beat Michigan?". Our local reporters can be pricks, and love to make issues out of non-issues. Scotty is a nice kid, and a heck of a player. He is not a show-off or anything like that.

appstate38
November 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Mcgee was not downplaying ASU. The reporter probably asked him something like "how can you expect to compete against a team that beat Michigan?". Our local reporters can be pricks, and love to make issues out of non-issues. Scotty is a nice kid, and a heck of a player. He is not a show-off or anything like that.

NOT the news media... They are NEVER wrong!!!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Asking a loaded question... never in a million years.xnonox

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
gametime is at noon

Appstnole21
November 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Yea, GOASU just announced that gametime is going to be at noon and is going to be shown on CSS.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11319/

The Moody1
November 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Yea, GOASU just announced that gametime is going to be at noon and is going to be shown on CSS.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11319/

Crappy start time (for those of us coming from out of town) and an even crappier network. No one other than Charter cable subscribers in certain areas get this channel. It is not on any Satellite provider.

biggie
November 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Noon SUCKS.

Cranium716
November 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Anyone know if ASU can still stream the game on their website?

The Moody1
November 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Anyone know if ASU can still stream the game on their website?
During the regular season I don't think they did the streaming video for televised games. Their isn't a video icon on our schedule so I would say it will not be streamed.

Hoboken Dukes
November 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM
cannot believe after all that they put this game at noon and not 3:30. garbage.

i watched the Towson game last weekend through the Madizone service on the website, any idea if they'll be carrying the game?

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
madizone video is only for home games, just pack up the car and head on down to Boone with the rest of usxthumbsupx

JMUfan2008
November 20th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Does this make any sense to anyone?!?! The past two national champions are playing against each other in the playoffs! App State is probably the best known FCS team in the nation after they beat Michigan. And it's televised on a crappy regional channel?!?! And not only that, but to meet the needs of getting it on said crappy channel they move the game to noon?! And they thought they were going to get a bad turnout before... This is one of the worst decisions ever. I'm still going (as should everyone else) but this just plain blows.

Monarch History
November 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM
This ought to be a great game from two teams with great programs.xnodx

When you get to the playoffs, I think game times are more important to the fans. Players want to lace them up and get on the field.

What time are the majority of each school's games? Has either team played at 12:00 this year?

ASU88
November 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Does this make any sense to anyone?!?! The past two national champions are playing against each other in the playoffs!

Maybe they are expecting a blowout!

Kidding ... I think we'll keep it close. xlolx

Seriously, it does blow. I'm heading to the game anyway, but it would be nice to have a back-up plan to see it on TV if something came up.

Cranium716
November 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM

When you get to the playoffs, I think game times are more important to the fans. Players want to lace them up and get on the field.

What time are the majority of each school's games? Has either team played at 12:00 this year?

I know JMU has had quite a few 12:00 games this year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
HARRISONBURG, Va., Nov. 20, 2007 -- Saturday’s (Nov. 24) James Madison-Appalachian State game in the 2007 NCAA Division I Football Championship first round will kick off at noon and be televised regionally on Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast (CSS). Regional affiliate CN8 also is scheduled to televise the game in areas of Virginia, including the Harrisonburg area.

CSS is available in nearly six million households in 12 states across the Southeast. Check local listings for the availability of CSS. Additional syndications of the telecast will be announced as available on the Web sites of the universities involved -- JMUSports.com and GoASU.com.

The JMU-Appalachian State in Boone, N.C., will be one of eight FCS first-round games Saturday. The contest's winner will advance to face the winner of Saturday night's McNeese State-Eastern Washington game that will be played in Lake Charles, La.

JMU will take an 8-3 record and Appalachian State a 9-2 mark into Saturday's game.

Great news that people in the lower mid-atlantic who cannot make the trip will be able to catch the game on CN8! xthumbsupx

ASUG8
November 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Great news that people in the lower mid-atlantic who cannot make the trip will be able to catch the game on CN8! xthumbsupx

Sounds like I need to drive to Harrisonburg to watch the game on TV...
This sucks - I've got a flooring guy putting down hardwoods all day Saturday in the room where my 52" TV is (not that it matters), but I'm held hostage all day while they work! I guess I'll try to get streaming audio off goasu.com.

NYJMUSupporter
November 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
CN8 usually streams live broadcasts on their website. I am hoping they do so, because I will be in upstate NY for thanksgiving.

GGASU
November 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Does this make any sense to anyone?!?! The past two national champions are playing against each other in the playoffs! App State is probably the best known FCS team in the nation after they beat Michigan. And it's televised on a crappy regional channel?!?! And not only that, but to meet the needs of getting it on said crappy channel they move the game to noon?! And they thought they were going to get a bad turnout before... This is one of the worst decisions ever. I'm still going (as should everyone else) but this just plain blows.

Still going to be a good crowd.
Already over 250 grass tickets sold.xthumbsupx

With the weather forecast, I actually prefer a noon start.

NYJMUSupporter
November 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I just got off the phone with the sports director at CN8. They will be broadcasting the game. I asked him if they would be streaming the game and he said they are going to try. The problem is, that they are not producing the game, so they may not be allowed. He told me that he put in a request for streaming video in his letter to the NCAA and to CSS. He said that it will all come down to cost, but he is going to try hard to make it happen!

APPST '93
November 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Just Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoboken Dukes
November 20th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I just got off the phone with the sports director at CN8. They will be broadcasting the game. I asked him if they would be streaming the game and he said they are going to try. The problem is, that they are not producing the game, so they may not be allowed. He told me that he put in a request for streaming video in his letter to the NCAA and to CSS. He said that it will all come down to cost, but he is going to try hard to make it happen!

meaning, CN8 in the mid-atlantic region will be carrying it live on TV? i know a lot of people that get this station from 'nova up thru NYC.

alexale23
November 20th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Cn8 is better than Espnu. Every1 in VA who has comcast gets cn8 and that is alot more people then get espnu.

bamamountaineer1013
November 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Any idea on ticket count yet, I'm interested to see how many will be there this weekend.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
What's the weather forecast for Saturday?

alexale23
November 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM
cold

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'm booked at the Holiday Inn Express in Wilkesboro. Any recommendations for dining in the area?

Go Dukes

proasu89
November 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
What's the weather forecast for Saturday?

http://booneweather.com/Forecast/ASU

Check it daily as our weather changes abruptly.

boonegoon
November 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
www.booneweather.com for local info. High 35 low 31 chance of wintry mix. Football weather!!!
Hey , just a quick question : Let say the winner of this game beats the winner of Mcneese/ EWU. Do they get the home game in the third round or does it go to the next higher seed: ie. Montana iffin they get through.

JMU2004
November 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm booked at the Holiday Inn Express in Wilkesboro. Any recommendations for dining in the area?

Go Dukes

Hey MRD-Dad,
The ASU fans have been very kind and responded to this question on their site. Here is the link!

Also, how many MRD's are going?

http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E

boonegoon
November 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
There is nothing to eat in Wilkesboro except chains. Blowing Rock has the best eating in the close area plus they have holiday parade/ festivities Saturday. Woodlands BBQ is servicible, Best sunset with food in the east is at Canyons on 321. High falutin types might try Crippins or Twigs. Safe travels.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hey MRD-Dad,
The ASU fans have been very kind and responded to this question on their site. Here is the link!

Also, how many MRD's are going?

http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E

Ok...thanks.

I have not heard of a total yet for MRD's although it's not mandatory, it was strongly recommended to make the trip. I'm sure I will catch up with my son at some point tonight...before he starts to party.....to get the latest scoop.

Go Dukes

proasu89
November 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Go Dukes

Depends on if you are going to eat in Boone immediately after the game or drive back to Wilkesboro. Here goes for Boone, with the caveat that it will be extremely crowded after the game:

Peddler Steak House-321
Makoto's Japanese Steak and Seafood-321
Chai Dai Thai- Howard St. walking distance from KBS
Mellow Mushroom-Rivers St. walking distance
Black Cat Burrito-Depot St. walking distance
Peppers (entree's and sandwiches) Shoppes at Shadowline off of 321
Casa Rustica (Italian) Hwy 105 near Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn
Woodlands BBQ-Blowing Rock -321
Red Onion Cafe-walking distance
Daniel Boone Inn-walking distance (served family style)
and the chains such as Ruby Tuesday's, Applebees, Beef O'Brady's

Others please fill in with personal favorites that I missed. Regarding Wilkesboro, Several chain's off of 421. I know there are a few good restaurants downtown but I can't help with those. Maybe someone from Junior Johnsonville can help with that.

APPride
November 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Go Dukes

JMD, been meaning to stop and try this place, but timing has never been right...

http://www.brushymtnsmokehouse.com/

Also the Brushy Mountain Store (BP) on Brushy Mountain Road south of 421 about 3/4 mile has a full selection of the better Boones Farm flavors, ideal for those morning(!) pregame activities...

AlphaSigMD
November 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Notable misses to the previous list:

Cafe Portafino - Great food, often laden with garlic. Good wine list, good beer list and its right on River's Street accross from Mellow Mushroom.

Boone Drug(parson's choice) and Our Daily Bread (jamaican turkey sandwich) on King St. are also great for lunch on friday or before the game if you don't tailgate.

Chic-fil-a. Virginians "might" not know the wonders of CFA. Its rough to find up north.

Storie Street Grill in Blowing Rock has a great menu

Six Pence Pub in Blowing Rock is overpriced, but has really good pubfare, if you are into that kinda thing.

Tiajuana Fats in Blowing Rock is good tex-mexican food, and fairly cheap liquor.

Dos Amigo's is better, cheaper and more authentic mexican food. (but no liquor)

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
www.booneweather.com for local info. High 35 low 31 chance of wintry mix. Football weather!!!
Hey , just a quick question : Let say the winner of this game beats the winner of Mcneese/ EWU. Do they get the home game in the third round or does it go to the next higher seed: ie. Montana iffin they get through.

If Montana was to win out to the national semifinals they would be the host. It will go with the seed, unless there isn't a seed left in that side of the bracket. [ at least that's how I understand it ]

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Cafe Portafino - Great food, often laden with garlic. Good wine list, good beer list and its right on River's Street accross from Mellow Mushroom.

Boone Drug(parson's choice) and Our Daily Bread (jamaican turkey sandwich) on King St. are also great for lunch on friday or before the game if you don't tailgate.

Only list you need in my opinion. See you at the game MD, spot 96 at Justice...come on by.

appstate38
November 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Its official.... I will be there at the Rock to see them Apps get after the Dukes. Can't wait!

james_lawfirm
November 20th, 2007, 07:57 PM

The rule is the higher seed always hosts; e.g., McNeese (#2 I think) would host Montana (#3) should they meet. A seed always hosts a non-seed. If two non-seeds meet, the amount of the bid to the NCAA determines the host. A school w/ avg. attendance of 25k can (and should) make a higher bid than one w/ avg. att. of 6k. (Duh!) So, EWU would come to Boone if both win. If App plays McNeese, we will travel. If we play Montana, we travel. If we play Wofford in the semis, Wofford travels.

thmst30
November 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Cafe Portofino - Great food, often laden with garlic. Good wine list, good beer list and its right on River's Street accross from Mellow Mushroom.

Chic-fil-a. Virginians "might" not know the wonders of CFA. Its rough to find up north.

Six Pence Pub in Blowing Rock is overpriced, but has really good pubfare, if you are into that kinda thing.

Tiajuana Fats in Blowing Rock is good tex-mexican food, and fairly cheap liquor.

I'm one of the cooks there, and yes the food is GREAT. The owners are both incredibly nice people and it has a nice atmosphere. However since its within walking distance of the stadium it will be PACKED all Saturday night. Still should give it a try if the wait is not too bad.xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
November 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
JMD, been meaning to stop and try this place, but timing has never been right...

http://www.brushymtnsmokehouse.com/

Also the Brushy Mountain Store (BP) on Brushy Mountain Road south of 421 about 3/4 mile has a full selection of the better Boones Farm flavors, ideal for those morning(!) pregame activities...

The Smokehouse has some fantastic food! Good ol' Southern cuisine. xnodx I work at Lowe's Corporate in Wilkesboro and eat at The Smokehouse at least once a week! There are a couple of other places to eat around there; nothing to really write home (or AGS) about. Tipton's BBQ on 421 across from Applebee's is serviceable. There's also a nice new Italian place in downtown "North" Wilkesboro called Brancianforte's Brick Oven. It's expensive, but some great food.

HiHiYikas
November 20th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'm one of the cooks there, and yes the food is GREAT. The owners are both incredibly nice people and it has a nice atmosphere. However since its within walking distance of the stadium it will be PACKED all Saturday night. Still should give it a try if the wait is not too bad.xthumbsupx
Portofino is my brother's favorite restaurant in Boone. He always wants to take me there when I'm visiting, and for good reason.

The grown-up grilled cheese is top-notch.

(And did someone post something about Chic-fil-a? There are hundreds of them here in VA. What we don have - xbawlingx - is BoJangles)

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Portofino is my brother's favorite restaurant in Boone. He always wants to take me there when I'm visiting, and for good reason.

The grown-up grilled cheese is top-notch.

(And did someone post something about Chic-fil-a? There are hundreds of them here in VA. What we don have - xbawlingx - is BoJangles)

BoJangles is tasty, but what I miss most (in central NC) is Biscuitville...there not much more southern that that joint. Best biscuits ever (other than Grandma's).

JMU2004
November 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM

lol....Virginia is STILL the South, and Chick-Fil-A is plenty big up here. I always laugh at people who think Virginia is Northern. Come to Richmond, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Lexington, Roanoke, etc....and if you still think Virginia is Northern, I will laugh. Do not lump D.C. and surrounding areas into the rest of Virginia. Thanks

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
lol....Virginia is STILL the South, and Chick-Fil-A is plenty big up here. I always laugh at people who think Virginia is Northern. Come to Richmond, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Lexington, Roanoke, etc....and if you still think Virginia is Northern, I will laugh. Do not lump D.C. and surrounding areas into the rest of Virginia. Thanks

Very true, my wife is from DC and she had no idea what fried okra or fried bologna was. I think most people from Virginia (true southerners) would agree, both items are slices of Heaven. xthumbsupx I'm hungry now.

alexale23
November 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM
If you know what noodling is you are probably from the south

JmuSkinsfan
November 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM

As a JMU student and resident of Fairfax (NoVa) ... I like to consider myself northern. But the state of Virginia as a whole should still be considered southern...although for you old schoolers out there...watch out....the state is starting to turn blue...and faster than some of you may want to think xnodx xnodx