PDA

View Full Version : Who got Woofed?

89Hen
November 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Well?

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
GSU.... kinda but not really. We had our chance twice and blew it.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I think 'Nova was more deserving...I suspect Marshall and Ricky Santos got UNH in here.

UDChE89
November 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
As much as it pains me, I'd have to say it's 'Nova.

JMUSaxMRD
November 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Nova

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Villanova. Similar resume to UNH, and the better team right now. Most of UNH's big wins came early. UNH's 27-7 loss to UMass last week and 'Nova's 16-10 win over Delaware this week tell me pretty clearly which team is more capable right now of winning a playoff game.

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
'Nova for sure.

eaglewraith
November 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Officially Nova.

However I think GSU deserved more consideration for the quality of their wins. Slightly homerish but we did have better quality wins than the rest of the bubble teams.

Oh well...next year here we come.

terrierbob
November 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Villawofford

DetroitFlyer
November 18th, 2007, 03:24 PM
The fact that Dayton and Albany were so even and had such similar resumes probably worked against both teams. Five teams from CAA.... Yeah, I cannot wait to see who wins this year's CAA playoffs....

By the way, of course I voted for Dayton.

ButlerGSU
November 18th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Wofford did. They were the #1 team from the SoCon but got sent all the way across the country.

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry, multiple post.

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry, multiple post.

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Villanova

I'm not sure how they didn't get in while Delaware & New Hampshire did.
Though I think Eastern Illinois should have been excluded in favor of the Wildcats.

Dukie95
November 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I voted Nova.

I didn't think a 5th CAA team would make it, BUT if it did, I thought for sure it would be Nova.

T-Dog
November 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Even when they make the playoffs, Wofford still gets woofed. xsmiley_wix

matfu
November 18th, 2007, 03:36 PM
wofford for sure. they should not have to travel to montana.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Nova obviously. They are a better team than UNH imho. Now watch Santos go out and throw 6 tds on UNI....

charliej
November 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Nova. Ahead of UNH in standings & SOS. UNH had benefit of starting the season ranked and fell off a bit. Nova started off the map & was able to climb into the rankings. Past success & Santos name probably played more of a role than what the teams did this year. xnonono2x

At any rate,while I'm pissed Cats got passed over for UNH,can't say I envy them heading to UNI.

Good luck to all our CAA brethren.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Here's hoping UNH can offer a competiive game and make the committee look like they made the right choice.

appstate38
November 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I don't know who else they could have sent to Montana... Maybe EIU...

But looking at the teams who were eligible to get in as the 16 seed I can see why UNH got it. No disrespect to Dayton and Albany.... Sorry guys.

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM
None of the above. The definition of woofed (to me) is a team that clearly belongs in the field gets left out, and this year it seems to me that none qualify. Many would agree with me to the extent that some were suggesting (tounge in cheek I'm sure) that the field should have been set at 15.

There may have been a dead heat for a handfull of teams that could have argued for the last spot, but none that looked to be head and shoulders above the rest (IMO).

Purple For Life
November 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Here's hoping UNH can roll over and make the committee look like they made a poor choice.

There ya go.

Tim James
November 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
There was no clear cut 16th team. If the SWAC had an automatic bid things would have been made much easier.

Eyes of Old Main
November 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Even when they make the playoffs, Wofford still gets woofed. xsmiley_wix

I'm glad that our single greatest addition to FCS lore is lending our name to this particular situation.

I can see where some people think we got shafted by having to go to Montana, and maybe we did, but I think you really just want to be in the playoff and from there anything can happen. Sure, a game at Gibbs or closer to home would be nicer than having to go to Missoula, but don't worry, Wofford has it's shot, and Mike Ayers and company will be ready. When we leave Missoula, the Griz will know we have been there.

Eyes of Old Main
November 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
There was no clear cut 16th team. If the SWAC had an automatic bid things would have been made much easier.

I agree that there wasn't a clear cut last team to get in. My issue is that in that case, it would have been better to give the nod to someone esle instead of a 5th team from the same league. Particularly since a deserving Wofford team (9-3 record, 2 top 5 road wins) got left out because of the reluctance to let 4 teams in from the SoCon.

Tim James
November 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I though UNH and Villanova would cancel each other out. I thought since it wasnt clear which of them should go, they wouldnt invite either of them in the name of fairness to the other one they left out.

BlueHen86
November 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Nova. They finished strong and, after UMass and Richmond, might be the third best CAA team right now.

th0m
November 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM
No team was woofed. Sure, maybe some teams were more deserving than some of the teams that got in, but woofed IMO applies really to a team that everybody expected to get in, and didn't.

Nova. They finished strong and, after UMass and Richmond, might be the third best CAA team right now.

I know you stressed *might*, but you're really overrating your own team if you think Nova is the 3rd best team in the CAA right now.

NovaHater
November 18th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Nova should have been in, selected ahead of Delaware and UNH

alleycat
November 18th, 2007, 04:46 PM
If you are going to put in a 4 loss team in it should of been YSU over UNH. Based on seeing YSU play this year.

Tim James
November 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I am not for any 4 loss team getting in under this current format.

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
The Big South champ or the NEC champ. or a third team at 7-4 team from any other auto bid conference ie Colgate, GSU should have been in before a 7-4 fifth pick from one conf. Serious Homerism for the CAA from the Chair of the committee. This is BS. having over 1/4 of the field from the CAA. It's a good league, but not that good.

UNH already lost to three other teams in the CAA that are playoff bound?!!!DUH And lost 2 out of the last 3 games. DUH One of them to a 3 win team?WTF As a fifth selection at leat Villanova won 2 of their last three beating a playoff team in the processs. If the final choice really did come down to UNH or Vill. screwing over an entire team of players to showcase one player from another is a very shallow, and piss poor decision making IMHO. I would rate this as one of the worst jobs of selection ever.
xtwocentsx

th0m
November 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM
If you are going to put in a 4 loss team in it should of been YSU over UNH. Based on seeing YSU play this year.

Who'd they beat? And they didn't even have 7 DI wins...

Good that you saw YSU play this year, but how do you base that and the assumption that YSU should get in over UNH when you didn't see UNH play? I mean, I didn't see either play, but I'm not stating anything based on seeing only one team play.

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Who'd they beat? And they didn't even have 7 DI wins...

The Looming question is who did UNH beat?xeyebrowx

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Wofford did. They were the #1 team from the SoCon but got sent all the way across the country.

xnodx

santosballnewhampshire
November 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
The Big South champ or the NEC champ. or a third team at 7-4 team from any other auto bid conference ie Colgate, GSU should have been in before a 7-4 fifth pick from one conf. Serious Homerism for the CAA from the Chair of the committee. This is BS. having over 1/4 of the field from the CAA. It's a good league, but not that good.

UNH already lost to three other teams in the CAA that are playoff bound?!!!DUH And lost 2 out of the last 3 games. DUH One of them to a 3 win team?WTF As a fifth selection at leat Villanova won 2 of their last three beating a playoff team in the processs. If the final choice really did come down to UNH or Vill. screwing over an entire team of players to showcase one player from another is a very shallow, and piss poor decision making IMHO. I would rate this as one of the worst jobs of selection ever.
xtwocentsxI guess that just goes to show us once again, Santos is without a question the best player, in FCS, and the people want him in! xpeacex

Khan4Cats
November 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
None of the above. The definition of woofed (to me) is a team that clearly belongs in the field gets left out, and this year it seems to me that none qualify. Many would agree with me to the extent that some were suggesting (tounge in cheek I'm sure) that the field should have been set at 15.

There may have been a dead heat for a handfull of teams that could have argued for the last spot, but none that looked to be head and shoulders above the rest (IMO).

I agree.

None of the possibles for the last at large were "clearly" deserving of making the field this year. I would have still guessed a second place, 8-3 Norfolk State team would have gotten in over a 7-4.

But, if you're going to set a new precedent and have one conference take half the at-larges I suppose its useful to have control of the committee chair.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM
The Looming question is who did UNH beat?xeyebrowx

Well, that's simple. They beat as follows:

1. Nationally ranked, playoff bound Delaware.
2. Nationally ranked, 7-4 Hofstra.
3. FBS Marshall (and yes, the chair of the committee blatantly stated that an FBS win was a quality, marquee win, so it does not seem worth it to dispute it, again).

3 of their losses are against the top 10 teams in the country, one by just seven points. They're flawed, but so are the rest of the 16th team candidates. I don't need to defend UNH's inclusion anymore, but this team is capable of beating anyone, any night.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 05:48 PM
For the record, to remove myself from some of these UNH homers, I think Jayson Foster is by far the best player in FCS. Admittedly, he does not have the name recognition, globally, that I suspect Santos has.

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I agree.

None of the possibles for the last at large were "clearly" deserving of making the field this year. I would have still guessed a second place, 8-3 Norfolk State team would have gotten in over a 7-4.

But, if you're going to set a new precedent and have one conference take half the at-larges I suppose its useful to have control of the committee chair.

Or big south champs liberty at 8-3xnodx

IaaScribe
November 18th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I agree with those that said no one got woofed. I still don't necessarily agree with Eastern Illinois being in, but who gets in instead? There was no clear team that got screwed here. EIU really didn't beat anyone of note. But did Liberty? No. Did Albany? Well, Fordham. That's a good win. Georgia Southern? You want in? Don't lose to freaking Chattanooga.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I'm still in shock with the UNH selection. Best of luck.

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I agree with those that said no one got woofed. I still don't necessarily agree with Eastern Illinois being in, but who gets in instead? There was no clear team that got screwed here. EIU really didn't beat anyone of note. But did Liberty? No. Did Albany? Well, Fordham. That's a good win. UNH? You want in? Don't lose to freaking URI at the end of the season.xnonono2x

Fixed it for ya.xsmiley_wix

Boogs
November 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Fordham doesn't belong in the field of 16.

Losses to featherweights Dayton and Albany.

Dayton and Albany don't belong either, BUT...if you are going to take in a team that doesn't belong and your only choices are Dayton/Albany, Dayton takes the spot.

This is the problem you get when unqualified people (no logic or math background) make the calls -- Fordham gets in. xcoffeex

Automatic qualifier awards are sign of surrender for the uneducated that make the calls. xoopsx

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Fixed it for ya.xsmiley_wix

UNH lost to Northeastern. The team that lost to URI is hosting Fordham in the first round.

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Fordham doesn't belong in the field of 16.

Losses to featherweights Dayton and Albany.

Dayton and Albany don't belong either, BUT...if you are going to take in a team that doesn't belong and your only choices are Dayton/Albany, Dayton takes the spot.

This is the problem you get when unqualified people (no logic or math background) make the calls -- Fordham gets in. xcoffeex

At-large awards are sign of surrender for the uneducated that make the calls. xoopsx

This is the problem you get when you don't pay attention. Fordham was an AQ, not an AL.xcoolx

ElonPride
November 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Officially Nova.

However I think GSU deserved more consideration for the quality of their wins. Slightly homerish but we did have better quality wins than the rest of the bubble teams.

Why would GSU deserve more consideration than Elon??? After all, Elon beat Wofford, and of course YOU!!!!!!

Not only that, Elon beat the Big South champions, whom some say was "woofed" and played arguably a better FBS team tougher than GSU.

I'm not at all saying that Elon was "woofed" because we had our chances to outright claim the SoCon auto bid 2 weeks in a row.....but come on GSU fans. There were other teams left out of the playoffs that deserved more consideration than you!

Boogs
November 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM
This is the problem you get when you don't pay attention. Fordham was an AQ, not an AL.xcoolx

Brain fart.

I meant AQ.

I fixed the post.

Appaholic
November 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Wofford....not necessarily for traveling, but having to play a seeded team first round....xconfusedx

charliej
November 18th, 2007, 06:56 PM
5 teams from a 12 team conf. is one thing, but at least take the top 5 teams! Skipping the 4th place team to take the 6th makes absolutely no sense to me.xconfusedx

Fresno St. Alum
November 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Nova tough schedule solid 7-4 record

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM
UNH lost to Northeastern. The team that lost to URI is hosting Fordham in the first round. Aren't they interchangable?:D

Cincy App
November 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Wofford....not necessarily for traveling, but having to play a seeded team first round....xconfusedx

I agree. No one got "woofed" from entry into the playoff field although I don't believe that UNH belongs. However, Wofford got the worst draw for an auto-bid from one of the top two conferences. Good luck Terriers - beat the Griz!

dwtime
November 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM

xtwocentsx

I would totally agree with you IF UNH hadn't been woofed 1000 times more back in, what 1995 1996? I think Jerry Azumah was a Sophomore and UNH finished 8-3 as did Nova. Nova got in over UNH but here is the kicker, UNH BEAT Nova that season. You'd think well maybe it was a close game: 10-7 ,17-14, maybe 24-21? Nope it was something like 35-0, blew them out and Nova got in the playoffs over UNH.

In my mind the slate is now clean and we are now even because back then that was a reamer.

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM

An alternative view is that Montana is the 3 seed but has to play the champion of what Sagarin has rated as the toughest FCS conference in the first round. We'll see what happens...but Montana has field turf now that should ensure that there are no footing problems for the option style team.

I'm trying to remember if Montana's played against Wofford's style of offense since it went to the field turf. Don't know.

blukeys
November 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I agree.

Precedent was set in 2003 when the selection committee decided there was no theoretical upper limit of teams that could be selected from one conference. That year, for the first time 4 teams were selected from one conference. 50% of the conference teams were selected from the Gateway for the playoffs. (UNI, SIU, WIU, and WKU)

It's amazing that there were so few complaints about that precedent setting decision. In fact that Mid West contingent thought it was great and had expectations that the Semis would be an all Gateway affair. (especially if you read what was on Panthernation.) Of course none of the Gateway teams made it to the semis.

Now we have complaints that 42% of a conference is too much as opposed to 50% of a conference from 4 years ago. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

More Mid West bias at work. xeyebrowx

89Hen
November 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Or big south champs liberty at 8-3xnodx
Liberty? 6-3 vs DI competition and they lost to the #5 SoCon and #9 CAA team. xcoffeex

mrklean
November 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Officially Nova.

We are were we need to be!! We blew it big time, so we are at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GATA

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Complaining about the # of teams coming from one conference is so much tripe. Conferences exist for ease of scheduling and to control costs. If you have the credentials to get in, then you shouldn't be penalized just because you're in the same conference with other good teams.

Just go on records and SOS, and the rest will take care of itself.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
no one. xthumbsupx

BigApp
November 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
South Carolina State got 'woofed'. Played not one but TWO FBS games, only FCS losses were to Delaware St by one, and on the road at Norfolk in OT.

7 Division I wins.

New Hampshire and Eastern Illinois? please.

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 08:49 PM
i voted for norfolk st

GeeWiz
November 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Villanova! No doubt about it. xnonono2x

I think the committee didn't find them "sexy" enough. If they went 7-4 with a healthy Antwon Young, who I think will be a star in the CAA, they probably get in.

But 7-4 with a back-up QB (Chris Whitney), albeit another very solid freshman QB, I think the committee thought it wasn't captivating.

UNH beating Marshall and Delaware sealed it for them IMO.

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Villanova! No doubt about it. xnonono2x

I think the committee didn't find them "sexy" enough. If they went 7-4 with a healthy Antwon Young, who I think will be a star in the CAA, they probably get in.

But 7-4 with a back-up QB (Chris Whitney), albeit another very solid freshman QB, I think the committee thought it wasn't captivating.

UNH beating Marshall and Delaware sealed it for them IMO.

I thought it was the power wins over 3-7 Dartmouth and Highly ranked Iona Gaelsxrolleyesx BTW they already proved the don't stand a very good chance of winning against playoff caliber teams having already lost to 3 of the 4 they played. 2 Win Marshall good for UNH, 8-3 UM win bad for App. Riiiiiiiight.xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
November 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Woofed? Won't know for sure until the GPI comes out. Maybe no one.

unipnthr
November 18th, 2007, 11:26 PM
You left off Youngstown State, third place in the best conference in FCS.

Grabholdofyosef
November 19th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I think UNI got woofed. UNH has underacheived the past two years (8-3 and 7-4 regular season after being 10-1 and 9-2 the previous 2), but I still wouldnt want to play them in the 1st round if I was the #1 seed. I think they could be dangerous.

th0m
November 19th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Who else'd you send to UNI then? You'd have to think that UNH was the last team in, and therefore sent to the #1 seeded team.

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2007, 05:52 AM
You left off Youngstown State, third place in the best conference in FCS.

Youngstown isn't in the CAA aka The Best Conference in the FCS.

Grabholdofyosef
November 19th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Who else'd you send to UNI then? You'd have to think that UNH was the last team in, and therefore sent to the #1 seeded team.
UNH was probably one of the last AL bids, but I dont think they are #16 in the field. Fordham probably is. But if you send Fordham to UNI, you cant send UNH to UMASS b/c of conference. You also have the travel limitations they try to hold to. I guess thats the problem, there was no easy solution with all the things the committee tries to consider.

OhioHen
November 19th, 2007, 06:25 AM
None of the Above.

th0m
November 19th, 2007, 07:07 AM
UNH was probably one of the last AL bids, but I dont think they are #16 in the field. Fordham probably is. But if you send Fordham to UNI, you cant send UNH to UMASS b/c of conference. You also have the travel limitations they try to hold to. I guess thats the problem, there was no easy solution with all the things the committee tries to consider.

I hadn't thought of it like that, makes sense. The UMass-Fordham pairing was probably the most obvious pairing of them all.

WMTribe90
November 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I think VU was mildly woofed. You could argue they should have been in over EIU, but that just wasn't going to happen. The resumes between UNH and VU were very similar. I think three facotrs worked in UNH's favor.

1) Recent playoff success and Santos name/recognition.
2) Committee probably preferred taking a second team from the northern division over a fourth from the southern division.
3) UNh had the IA win over Marshall

kfkolonel
November 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I think Woof got Woofed again, but in a different way.