November 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Discuss

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM
GO SPIDERS!!!xthumbsupx

I'll be at UR Stadium for this one!

alexale23
November 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I think this is going to be very tuff for the spiders. EKU is a good team.

ekufbfan
November 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
GO COLONELS!!!
Thoughts from the selection party at EKU:
Full house of EKU fans.
Long wait until they announced EKU, we had high HOPES by then that we would be at home. Disappointed we did not get the home game, we were hoping for game in Richmond (but not Virginia)!
Colonels need to step it up a notch now!
Don't know much about U of Richmond. Our AD, Mark Sandy came from there.
Same bracket as Montana, if we win, I say we're on the road again. Taking the hard road thru the playoffs!
Colonels need to keep getting those turnovers/interceptions.
How about Tommy Luginbill...former EKU QB..great job Lugi! THANKS for the props for your alma mater!

GO BIG E!

Maroons
November 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I was hoping that if EKU went on the road it would be to either Boone, NC or Carbondale, IL... guess it is what it is. Richmond seems to be known for the running game... Colonels have been known to give up a lot of yards on defense but negate that with red zone stops and interceptions. How often will the Spiders put the ball in the air?

ekufbfan
November 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I say we have to Step it up BIG TIME on DEFENSE if they run the ball as much as it seems! Need Holland to really be on his passing game, so that our running game clicks in high gear! These two things happen, we win, if they don't...trouble!

Where are the UR fans?

GoColonels!
November 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Great to see all the Colonel fans at the selction party!

Yeah, I think home field could have gone either way in this matchup--I think our lower than usual attendance figures this year hurt us.

Scheming for UR--My suggestion would almost be to throw eight defenders up in the box and dare the Spiders to throw. I've been a little shocked the last couple of weeks when our D-Line has at times been pushed around a little by the likes of Peay and Tech.

As it's been with the Colonels all season, they key to this game will be turnovers. We have to take care of the rock (as Holland, Dunn and Washington have done all season), and get a couple of takeaways, and we'll have a shot. The Spiders will be able to move the football on us, but I'm betting we'll be able to move the ball pretty well on them, too. Not a betting man, but if I were, I'd be taking the "over" on this one...

Anyone know the story on Huff? Will he be healthy enough to play?

Hail, Hail, Eastern Maroons!!!!

Panthers_Blue
November 18th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Good luck boys!!! Lets end this "OVC Curse" and make people respect the OVC!

JaxSinfonian
November 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
If I had to pick a team to return the OVC to W column in the playoffs it would be this year's Colonels.

Go get 'em!

Tim James
November 18th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Anyone know why UR is hosting this instead of EKU ?

Maroons
November 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Anyone know why UR is hosting this instead of EKU ?

Well... it could be SOS... but since money talks... I'm guessing it has something more to do with attendance.

Tim James
November 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Well... it could be SOS... but since money talks... I'm guessing it has something more to do with attendance.

I would be surprised if UR has higher average attendance than EKU.

RadMann
November 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Congrats Spiders!

ekufbfan
November 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Our attendance this year was bad, probably as low as it has been in years. I believe it is directly related to the success the U of K has had (we are only approx. 20+ miles south of them) and the students and others staying in the tailgate area and not coming into the game has not helped. Still, disappointed that we aren't hosting, but makes the Thanksgiving holiday easier to deal with.
GOOOOOOOO COLONELS!

FGColonel
November 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Congrtats to the Spiders. I can't wait to get to Richmond. This should be a great game. I tried to get on your message board but there is a two day waiting period. Whats up with that? Come on over to
http://www.ekupride.com/forum You are more than welcome

FGColonel
November 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Where in the city is you campus / stadium located? How about a few generic directions.

DTSpider
November 18th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Welcome to all EKU fans making their way East. UR has strong ties with EKU as the AD at EKU & Men's Basketball coach were both at UR before going to EKU. City Stadium is off campus and located in the west end of the City of Richmond right off 195. If you have some time, definitely check out the campus (about 5-10 minutes away), it's one of the best small campuses you'll see.

I'd stay in one of a few options. Downtown (roughly 10 minute drive) at the Omni. You'll be right next to a number of good restaurants that you can walk to. Also consider staying at the Jefferson which is very nice, but you can't really walk anywhere (unless you have a good giddy-up in your step at night). Alternative is to stay out in the far west end in innsbrook which is where many major businesses are. You'll have any possible hotel available, all of which are pretty new, and a number of good places to eat.

I'm hearing rumors of a 6pm start.

UR is offering special rates for EKU students of just $5/ticket, so hopefully some will make their way up. UR is very generous with its cash, so I'm sure it was a money move that gave us the home game.

As for the game, I don't know much about EKU, can anyone summarize some strengths & areas for concern?

spdram
November 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM
EKU, Welcome to Richmond! You have at leat 3 there that will be able to give you some insight. Mark Sandy, Simon Gray and Jeff Neubauer All have UR ties.

Stadium is off campus here is a link to the directions etc.
http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/facilities/rich-facilities-stadium.html

Yes we run the ball, but if you pack the box we can throw also. Tim Hightower is our best running back (a legit Payton Award contender), but when he is out we'll hit you with Josh Vaughan. Our QB is a Sophomore that has been grwoing better each game. He has had a few INT's this year that were deflections. Our special teams have been great this season, in fact the second half of the season most teams have refused to kick to our returners, pooching, squib kicks even out of bounds so that our returners cannot touch the ball. This has been a very sepcial team that has taken hit after hit and bounced back for more. It should be a great game.

Not sure what you are saying about the boards not aware of a 2 day wait, it is a Rivals board -- Spidernation.com. Come on by and visit.

We have been told it will likely be an evening game, dress warmly.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I would be surprised if UR has higher average attendance than EKU.

I'm not sure of their attendance, but when JMU comes to town, it's almost like a home game for the Dukes.

Here is some advice, bring your A game!

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Richmond got the home game because they submitted a higher bid than EKU. The committee sets the matchups, and then the higher bid gets to be at home (excluding the seeded teams, of course). It's just that simple. Richmond has a history of aggressive bids for the playoffs. They were home against Furman two years ago.

Richmond is a very sound football team who is battle tested. They beat JMU and Delaware on the road, and were undefeated at home, including wins over New Hampshire and Villanova. They have two punishing RBs in Tim Hightower and Josh Vaughn. Their QB, Eric Ward is mobile, and throws the ball well enough, but gets a little loose with his throws some times. W&M had two picks on him yesterday.

Their defense is aggressive, and will come after a throwing team with a wide variety of blitzes and stunts. They play very well together, and are a good tackling team. They had eight sacks against W&M yesterday. They have played, and beaten, some fine passing teams in Delaware, UNH and W&M.

The Spiders emerged to win a share of the CAA title, and anyone who draws them has their hands full. Dave Clawson is a top-notch coach.

FGColonel
November 18th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys, More than likely most of us will stay were the team stays.
As for the game, We too have a very strong running game. Led by Parade All American Bobby Washington. But just as good is Make Dunn. We don't call the #1 and #2. Both are equal and both play a lot. They have rushed for a combined 1800 yards. QB is KY. boy that we recruited hard out of HS but thought he needed to try Wake Forest for a year first. He is a Junior and throws the ball very well. Just under 2000 yards this year. He has thrown the ball nearly 300 times with only three ints. But I am sure you will see all that when you visit http://www.ekusports.com/ We also lead the nation in turnover margin +21 I think now.It should be a very exciting game.

FGColonel
November 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure of their attendance, but when JMU comes to town, it's almost like a home game for the Dukes.

It has been a while for us. Our A game is already packed and ready to go.

I promise it will be there Saturday.xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I guess EKU did not bid well?

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM
They may have bid well, but Richmond bid better. They don't mind losing a little money to host a game.

TTUEagles
November 18th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I saw Richmond at Vanderbilt this year, they are good. Their QB was very good (running and throwing) and had one big receiver who torched Vandy's secondary. But, here's a TTU fan STRONGLY pulling for the Colonels...I think they can get it done. Good luck from TTU and get this for the OVC - we win 2 games this year in the first round!!!

URMite
November 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM
As for hosting, we always seem to bid high because our stadium is 21k+ even though our attendance is about 7k. But why do we get the only 9-2 team that's playing as a visitor?

Yes, we do depend on our running game mainly with Hightower (avg >6yd/carry most games this year) but has seen limited action since a knee injury 2 wk/ago. Our other option is Vaughn who isn't as strong but is more elusive. He had 132yds playing 2/3 of Sat game. We don't pass long often but are getting very consistent with the 10-20 yds passes. Ward the QB also is getting 2 or 3 good runs/game.

On D we do well against the run, but more likely to give up a yard or two than completely smother it. We have done well against long passes but have coverage problems against the mid range ones. We seem to be bringing more pressure now since that is more of a LB strength than coverage, and sometime put SS at LB.

Our return guys were doing well until they stopped getting the chance. Rodgers had two 200yd+ days on KO. We are about even on turnovers but until recently have been very low on both takeaways/giveaways.

Do you guys get more Ints or fumbles? Are most of your passes ball control or game breaking types?

Is this the best team out of the OVC in a few years? I know the temptation for homerism but just wondering.

Anyway, welcome Colonels! and I know there aren't any easy games left.

URMite
November 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Well, we'll see what we can do about that in 3 weeks.xsmiley_wix

Maroons
November 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Do you guys get more Ints or fumbles? Are most of your passes ball control or game breaking types?

Is this the best team out of the OVC in a few years? I know the temptation for homerism but just wondering.

We get more INTS than fumbles by far (24 INTS, 11 Fumble Recoveries).

The passes we throw are a mix of game breakers and ball control passes. Under our previous OC, we threw game breakers just about every drive... we're a little more conservative now.

As for being the best team out of the OVC in a few years? Honestly can't say... it's the best EKU team in years... and I believe the conference has been gradually improving... but last year's OVC teams (UTM and EIU) had good showings. Only time will tell when the OVC has finally made it back over the hump.

GoColonels!
November 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Anyway, welcome Colonels! and I know there aren't any easy games left.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mite--
Realistically, this EKU squad may be the best and most complete offensive unit out of the OVC since Romo graduated up at EIU, but I'm still not sold on our defense. They've been a "bend but don't break" unit all season, getting key turnovers (INT's as well as fumbles) in the red zone to save themselves WAY too many times for my comfort...

To stop your running attack, I'm guessing we'll be taking some chances defensively--lots of stunts and blitzes. It may open up some downfield possibilities for you guys--who are your deep threats?

EKU05
November 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I think the fact that we're going on the road to Richmond is only disheartening in relation to the fact that the team that we beat out for the conference title (EIU) gets to stay in state. I understand why that is, and I certainly wouldn't push to trade opponents with them, but it really makes you think...

I was also hoping that if we did go on the road it would be a higher profile game so that we could get it on TV. With family in town it really isn't the best weekend for me to make a road trip.

But at the end of the day it's good to be in the show...

GO COLONELS!!!

Coach37
November 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Good Luck EKU! I was impressed with the way you played when came to Charleston, play that way and you'll have a great trip out East!

URMite
November 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Anyway, welcome Colonels! and I know there aren't any easy games left.

Thanks Mite--
Realistically, this EKU squad may be the best and most complete offensive unit out of the OVC since Romo graduated up at EIU, but I'm still not sold on our defense. They've been a "bend but don't break" unit all season, getting key turnovers (INT's as well as fumbles) in the red zone to save themselves WAY too many times for my comfort...

To stop your running attack, I'm guessing we'll be taking some chances defensively--lots of stunts and blitzes. It may open up some downfield possibilities for you guys--who are your deep threats?[/QUOTE]

The guy mentioned in the TT post above about Vandy was Shields, our #2 alltime receiver who has been out since the 1st qtr of the next game. That's one thing I like about our team we overcame a number of injuries mid way though the year (8 starter out for 2 games). The other thing I like is only 6 seniors (including shields) on a 92 man roster.

The rest of our receivers are very young but have developed over the year. Grayson has become our biggest thread, although we still rarely throw over 25 yds. But hard to key on one guy (Sat we completed 11 passes to 9 receivers...).

spdram
November 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM
TTU thanks for the kudos, unfortunately you are referring to Arhmad Sheilds who since been injured and has been out for the season. He has legit 4.3 speed and is still considered a true pro prospect. He has been replaced by several very good receivers in particular Kevin Grayson, big tall fast with great hands.

alexale23
November 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I wont be able to make to BOONE to support JMU. BUT I WILL be at UR stadium to support THE 804 because its 5 minutes from my house. Good luck to both teams hopefully we will meet again.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Quite a few good matchups in the opening round. This is certainly one of them. Looking forward to this game. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I would think this would be a good game. I don't have much faith in the OVC, but they have 2 chances to prove us wrong this year.

Killtoppers90
November 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Good luck with that draw Colonels! But we had a very similar draw in 2002 and won it on the road. There is no reason that you can't do the same!

GeeWiz
November 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Best of luck Spiders! xthumbsupx

Give EKU a heavy dose of Hightower and Vaughn with a sprinkle of Arman Shields!

Dave Clawson is a friggin offensive guru! xnodx

Go CAA! xthumbsupx

EIUsuperfan
November 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Good luck EKU!!

ekufbfan
November 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM
On TV today...
former EIU QB Tony Romo with the Cowboys
former EKU QB Tommy Luginbill on the FCS selection show

Here's to EKU and EIU .....xbeerchugx GO COLONELS and GO PANTHERS!

Spider
November 19th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Congrats EKU and welcome to Richmond. We have played good this year on both sides of the ball and are looking forward to the playoffs. Dave Clawson is an outstanding coach and has done a great job with a young team. We know you folks have an outstanding team and we look forward to the challenge.

spdram
November 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks 23, it's good to see the number of original CAA fans offering support to our Spiders. We are looking forward to a great game, and hopefully a victory to move on to the Quarters. From what I read about EKU they will be a tough team with a balanced attack. I think our guys will be fully charged and ready to go on Saturday. Here's hoping for a 6:00game so the casual fan will be over the "other game" taking place up the road on Saturday.

I talked to a number of the players on Sunday and they couldn't be more excited, but they focus they were showing was like a laser.

Maroons
November 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Good luck with that draw Colonels! But we had a very similar draw in 2002 and won it on the road. There is no reason that you can't do the same!

Is a wish of good luck from Killtoppers the same as saying good luck to a stage actor? Should we be asking for "break a leg" instead? xsmiley_wix

youwouldno
November 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I think I was like the only non-UR fan that put Richmond in my pre-season top 10. Probably not a championship team but EKU shouldn't be a problem.

alexale23
November 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Any1 know what time this game kicks off

Maroons
November 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Any1 know what time this game kicks off

I've been hearing 6 p.m. kicked around... yet to see it in stone.

ekufbfan
November 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I don't have much faith in the OVC, but they have 2 chances to prove us wrong this year
I think I was like the only non-UR fan that put Richmond in my pre-season top 10. Probably not a championship team but EKU shouldn't be a problem
I see no one is giving us a chance and in addition are pretty much writing us off. I HOPE the Colonels are getting the message and thus have a point to prove...keeping THE DRIVE alive!

This probably isn't the time to bring this up, but it proves what I have long thought, that EKU stayed around the OVC too long and we got just what I saw coming....now what do we do about it?
1. Win playoff games
2. Start thinking about where we go from there

EKU05
November 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hey EKUfbfan...I think your signature is due for a little updating...

I love that no one is giving us a chance...this team has thrived on being picked in the middle of the OVC all year long as the conference fell like dominoes in our path. This will undoubtedly be the best team we've faced since at least WKU, and maybe the best team overall other than Kentucky, but the Colonels will be ready, and have been a very good road team this year. Our two biggest wins, and maybe our three biggest came away from the friendly confines of Roy Kidd Stadium.

kfkolonel
November 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Gee-ma-nee,* am I reading this thread right? Both EIU and WKU fans wishing us well?

OK, it hurts to say this, but "Good luck in Carbondale! Bring back an OVC victory!"

And WKU, good luck in your bowl. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

---------------
*Coach Kidd used to say "Gee-ma-nee" when he wanted to make a point. We Colonels honor the expression.

URMite
November 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is writing you off. Just because of the OVC? I don't get it, you are ranked #9 in the TSN poll, but not enough people are saying this is a close game.

I think your team will play tough. Our top threat may not be at 100%. I think it will take quite an effort to win convincingly.

Yes, I'm a homer and expect a win, but I don't see where we can let our guard down for a second.

URMite
November 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Oh and about EKUfbfans sig - We don't have quite the same tradition, we seem to come up with a good team every few years but not consistently until now. This year is our third >.500 season in a row for the first time in over 50 years. xeekx It's also our 8th 8+ win season in 125 years xeekx (Ok, most of that was in I-A, so a little bit of hyperbole).

But it is our 4th playoff in the last 10 years...
I think this coach is actually trying to build a program instead of a season.

Eight Legger
November 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
This game will be shown online at RichmondSpiders.com for free, for anyone who can't make it. So, EKU fans, stay home and check this one out online. Spider fans, get your butts in the seats!

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I would venture down to City Stadium for the game but I decided to hit the road to support the Dukes.

Go CAA

Tribe4SF
November 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
I love that no one is giving us a chance...this team has thrived on being picked in the middle of the OVC all year long as the conference fell like dominoes in our path. This will undoubtedly be the best team we've faced since at least WKU, and maybe the best team overall other than Kentucky, but the Colonels will be ready, and have been a very good road team this year. Our two biggest wins, and maybe our three biggest came away from the friendly confines of Roy Kidd Stadium.

That's out the window. Burton and Germunder both picked you on CSN. Looks like the Spiders get the bulletin board material.

Killtoppers90
November 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Is a wish of good luck from Killtoppers the same as saying good luck to a stage actor? Should we be asking for "break a leg" instead? xsmiley_wix
Not this time pal! It was an honest wish.

spdram
November 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
EKU has alot of seniors and I'm sure will come in ready to play, but I don't think they played a team like the Spiders. This team has taken everybodies best hit and come back for more. When we lost on a last second play to Towson the fans were down, this team just dug in deeper. Buckle your chins straps because there's going to be some hard hits in Richmond, VA on Saturday night!

Proof reading is not to good thanks it's corrected.

Maroons
November 22nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
WKU has alot of seniors and I'm sure will come in ready to play, but I don't think they played a team like the Spiders. This team has taken everybodies best hit and come back for more. When we lost on a last second play to Towson the fans were down, this team just dug in deeper. Buckle your chins straps because there's going to be some hard hits in Richmond, VA on Saturday night!

You seem to have forgotten who Richmond is playing Saturday.

Golden Eagle
November 22nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Heh. Calling the Colonels "WKU" is a mistake that one only makes once.

rcny46
November 22nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
I think this could be the most competitive,hotly contested and evenly matched game in the first round.

Monarch History
November 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Good luck to the Spiders in what should be a good game.:)

Killtoppers90
November 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Heh. Calling the Colonels "WKU" is a mistake that one only makes once.

Sounds like a STEP UP to me!xsmiley_wix

Maroons
November 22nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Sounds like a STEP UP to me!xsmiley_wix

Them's fightin' words! (I can see this thread rapidly spinning off topic now.)