PDA

View Full Version : Colgate13... this is for you :)

Lehigh Football Nation
April 22nd, 2005, 10:03 AM
colgate13, you will appreciate this:

State of the Ivy League II: Solutions to the Problems (http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/22/42687160221e3)

The article gives a great summation of what, well, pretty much every I-AA and NCAA basketball fan would like to see the Ivies implemented, but this caught my eye:

In 2003, Colgate's football team advanced to the Division I-AA national title game. Colgate is virtually on par with the Ivies as an academic institution, and it's participation in the I-AA tournament did not serve as a detriment at all to its players' academic standing, while at the same time giving those student-athletes a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play on a national stage. There is no reason to believe that such an ill-effect would occur at Ivy schools either.

Harvard Business School, Wharton, Columbia Law -- all ON PAR with Colgate. :D

colgate13
April 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks LFN. I think I just saw my diploma rattle on the wall. It's getting to big for it's frame!

That Cornell paper has done a few complimentary articles about Colgate in the past few years. I think our football team has pounded them into submission!

LBPop
April 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Props to Colgate and this acknowledgement. The assumption that athletics cannot thrive in an academic atmosphere is archaic and disproven everyday...even in that primitive game of football. Of course, the Ivy President's won't let the facts get in the way of their self serving position.

I think that even the most biased Hoya would admit to their admiration of Colgate's success on the gridiron while providing an outstanding education. Of course, a discussion about relative academic standing alone would sound quite different. ;)

Tee shirt seen in Washington DC: "Thank God for the Ivy League. Not everyone can get into Georgetown". Feel free to insert your school name here.