PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an updated GPI

gsugt1
November 18th, 2007, 12:01 PM
That includes the games from yesterday ? Thanks

danefan
November 18th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Won't be updated until the polls come out on Monday ...after the bids are given.

GPI is a compilation of other polls and computer rankings.

bcrawf
November 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
UNI will be #1 with a perfect 1.00 rating...xcoffeex xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
GPI comes out after the polls on Monday. We'll get to see who was "woofed" the most!

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone think the Monday polls won't be affected by the brackets that come out today?

gsugt1
November 20th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Is the new GPI out ?

BulldogFan
November 20th, 2007, 05:47 AM
hot off the press:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89150

PurpleandGold
November 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Call me a conference homer if you want, but I say that Villanova got woofed for E. Illinois, based on the GPI. Both have the same number of FCS losses and 'nova's were all to playoff teams: JMU, UR, and UMASS(in OT). I guess the committee really had a hard on for that 8 win milestone, despite SOS.

Also, YSU, Elon, and GSU all had only 6 DI wins before people starting thinking I just think the CAA is superior to all things.

FCS Preview
November 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Call me a conference homer if you want, but I say that Villanova got woofed for E. Illinois, based on the GPI. Both have the same number of FCS losses and 'nova's were all to playoff teams: JMU, UR, and UMASS(in OT). I guess the committee really had a hard on for that 8 win milestone, despite SOS.

Also, YSU, Elon, and GSU all had only 6 DI wins before people starting thinking I just think the CAA is superior to all things.

Every seven (D-I) win team from the Big Sky, Gateway, Ohio Valley, Southern and Southland conferences got a playoff berth. The CAA had one left out (Hofstra). (The MEAC and Patriot had 7-win teams left out too, as did conferences that got no berths)

santosballnewhampshire
November 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Every seven (D-I) win team from the Big Sky, Gateway, Ohio Valley, Southern and Southland conferences got a playoff berth. The CAA had one left out (Hofstra). (The MEAC and Patriot had 7-win teams left out too, as did conferences that got no berths)
Actually the CAA had 2 teams with seven (D-1) wins left out, Hofstra 7-4, and Villanova 7-4xpeacex

PurpleandGold
November 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM
The CAA had two 7 DI win teams left out: Villanova and Hofstra. I picked VU as a "woofed" candidate because the beat Hofstra.

As an interesting aside attesting to the strength of the CAA, a 4 win W&M has a higher GPI than playoff bound EIU.

Sorry if I seem like I'm picking on EIU, but 37 is awfully low for an at-large berth, but I don't know much about them, maybe they're getting screwed by the computers.

FCS Preview
November 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Oops, my bad. Forgot about Villanova. Their late surge had them back in the playoff hunt, while Hofstra's collapse (from 6-0 to 7-4) ruined what could have been a memorable season for the school. Hofstra definitely did not get Woofed.

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Wow, for what used to be the self-proclaimed most accurate predictor of the playoff field, the 3-letter fraud really crapped the bed this year. Seriously, every poster on this site could've nailed more correct picks.

4 teams in it's top 16: YSU, SDSU, Villanova & Elon/GSU (tie) all left out. Meanwhile the 20th & 37th rated teams make it as at-large's. Time to fix those computers boys. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM
In the computers defense, the only team really "eligible" from that group was Villanova, as Elon, GSU and YSU did not have the requisite 7 DI wins, and SDSU was not eligible. 'Nova was clearly the team that was woofed, though, according to the GPI, UNH was more deserving than Nova.

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Shoot according to the GPI, Albany got woofed also by Eastern Illinois.

But I don't really think they did.

Tod
November 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
In the computers defense, the only team really "eligible" from that group was Villanova, as Elon, GSU and YSU did not have the requisite 7 DI wins, and SDSU was not eligible. 'Nova was clearly the team that was woofed, though, according to the GPI, UNH was more deserving than Nova.

With NDSU not eligible either, that's five of the top 16 that either weren't eligible or didn't have seven D-I wins.

So EWU, at #20, definitely belongs. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

PurpleandGold
November 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm gonna give Liberty some love and suggest them as a potential "woofed" candidate. Although if there can only be one "woofed" award, it definately goes to 'Nova.

danefan
November 20th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Liberty didn't have 7 DI wins. Not woofed in my book if you don't have 7 DI wins.

While its not a hard and fast rule, its the closest the committee has.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM
And again, I keep bringing it up because the chairman on CSN Waves said he struck teams from the board with less than 7 DI wins because none of them had 6 victories that were compelling enough for inclusion.

Tod
November 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Liberty didn't have 7 DI wins. Not woofed in my book if you don't have 7 DI wins.

While its not a hard and fast rule, its the closest the committee has.

Exactly. Until MSU last year (and UNH this year), I don't believe any team without eight wins was in the playoffs (unless, of course, they were the auto-bid). Though unwritten, that had always been an "assumed" rule.

But the seven D-I wins, while, as you said, is not definite, it is in writing that it will greatly reduce your chances if you don't have seven D-I wins.

So those teams with six that think they deserved a shot should realize that NO team has done that before, and nothing makes them any different.

PurpleandGold
November 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM
my bad, I forgot Liberty didn't have 7 DI wins.

URMite
November 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Ok, I haven't looked at this yet but how does this sound as a formula that has been (not should be) used for the 8 at-large bids. First take all 8 or more win (with 7 or more DI) from CAA, BSC, SoCon, Gateway, Southland. Then take the 7 or more DI win teams left based on SOS (GPI?).

Would this get the right at-large teams for the last few years? maybe as far back as 2000...

Maybe not Lafayette in 05, I haven't looked yet.

HensRock
November 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
So what is the procedure for the GPI post-dicting what the playoff teams are (were)? Obviously you take the autos out and then take out those not playoff eligible like NDSU and SDSU. But do you also remove the teams that do not have 7 DI wins? That is only a guideline, not a hard-n-fast rule. What are they doing so high in the GPI if they don't have 7 DI wins anyway? In my mind the GPI predicted the playoff at-large bids would go to:

#4 SIU xthumbsupx
#6 ASU xthumbsupx
#7 UR xthumbsupx
#9 JMU xthumbsupx
#10 UD xthumbsupx
#12 YSU xoopsx
#14 UNH xthumbsupx
#15 'Nova xoopsx

It went on to suggest that #16T Elon and GSU should have been taken ahead of EWU

and 12 OTHERS are more deserving than EIU.

Tod
November 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
So what is the procedure for the GPI post-dicting what the playoff teams are (were)? Obviously you take the autos out and then take out those not playoff eligible like NDSU and SDSU. But do you also remove the teams that do not have 7 DI wins? That is only a guideline, not a hard-n-fast rule. What are they doing so high in the GPI if they don't have 7 DI wins anyway? In my mind the GPI predicted the playoff at-large bids would go to:

#4 SIU xthumbsupx
#6 ASU xthumbsupx
#7 UR xthumbsupx
#9 JMU xthumbsupx
#10 UD xthumbsupx
#12 YSU xoopsx
#14 UNH xthumbsupx
#15 'Nova xoopsx

It went on to suggest that #16T Elon and GSU should have been taken ahead of EWU

and 12 OTHERS are more deserving than EIU.

EWU met the named (and un-named) criteria. In a 16 team field with two of the top 20 ineligible, I find it amusing that you go after #20. Come on, man! Is there no leeway with you? That's not too much to ask, is it?

If you want to argue 'Nova over UNH, I can see that. But would you really argue half of the CAA getting in, in the same year they set the record with five teams?

YSU didn't have seven D-1 wins, so regardless of the GPI, the NCAA has it in writing that this will be a big negative, and nobody has ever done it, so why should YSU be any different?

CSN-info
November 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM
So what is the procedure for the GPI post-dicting what the playoff teams are (were)? Obviously you take the autos out and then take out those not playoff eligible like NDSU and SDSU. But do you also remove the teams that do not have 7 DI wins?Yes, according to the committee's guidelines four loss teams were removed in the past and now teams with less than 7 D-I wins are removed.

charliej
November 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Yes, according to the committee's guidelines four loss teams were removed in the past and now teams with less than 7 D-I wins are removed.

And don't forget to remove the teams that dont have the big name QB.xrolleyesx

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I know things have changed a lot so it's not relevant now; but just as a historical note: Idaho got an at large bid in 1995 with 6 wins. And only 5 of them were over Division I teams unless Sonoma State was Division I in 1995. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't.