PDA

View Full Version : UNH Gets at Large - See Stats

UMassive
November 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
To much time on my hands. Here are some stats to chew on. UNH and Santos Could get the 16th spot. Youngstown, Elon and Nova have a pretty good argument. Dayton and Albany just are not ready to make the cut and the Alabama A&M selection would be a travesty

NCAA SOS on W/L Only

Villanova #9
Albany #10
Elon #12
Youngstown #14
UNH #20
Dayton #27
Alabama A&M #52

GPI Conference Rank

UNH - CAA #1 (23.11)
Villanova - CAA #1 (23.11)
Elon - Southern #2 (24.08)
Youngstown - Gateway #3 (27.43)
Alabama A&M -Southwestern #10 (55.09)
Dayton - Pioneer #13 (63.42)
Albany - Northeast #15 (69.27)

Best Wins w/ Opponents GPI Ranking

UNH - Delaware ( 9), Hofstra (17), Marshall
Villanova - Delaware (9)
Elon - Wofford (12), GSU (14)
Youngstown - S. Dakota State (18)
Dayton - Fordham (27)
Albany - Fordham (27)
Alabam A&M - Southern (60)

Loses w/ Opponents GPI

Youngstown - Ohio State, UNI (1), SIU (5), ISU (41)
Villanova - Maryland, Richmond (6), Umass (7), JMU (10)
UNH - Richmond (6), Umass (7), JMU (10), Northeastern (35)
Elon - South Florida, App St (4), Citadel (24), Furman (26)
Albany - Montana (9), Hofstra (17), Colgate (38)
Alabama A&M - Grambling (23), Jack St. (53), Prarie View (66)
Dayton - Morehead St. (83)

Offense Scoring Avg./ Defense Scored Against Avg.

Youngstown - 27.4/18.5 = 8.9 Dif
UNH - 35.8/28.5 = 7.3 Dif
Elon - 36.2/31.1 = 5.1 Dif
Villanova - 26.2/23.7 = 2.5 Dif

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM
YSU and Elon are out because each only has six D-I wins. The selection committee sets the minimum number for eligibility at seven.

Umass74
November 18th, 2007, 10:43 AM
NCAA strength of schedule (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/toughest%20schedule/iaa_9games_cumm.pdf)

Villanove #9
New hampshire #20
Delaware #24

Umass74
November 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
In the above post, AGS won't let me edit to "Villanova" and New Hampshire. Sorry about the typos.

santosballnewhampshire
November 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
the fact that you are a umass fan makes me want to argue with you but I firmly argee with everything you are saying

McNeese75
November 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Man oh man, sure is a lot of politikin going on today xlolx

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Man oh man, sure is a lot of politikin going on today xlolx

With people who have no vote in the final outcome.
xnodx

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Best Wins w/ Opponents GPI Ranking

UNH - Delaware ( 9), Hofstra (17), Marshall
Villanova - Delaware (9)
Elon - Wofford (12), GSU (14)
Youngstown - S. Dakota State (18)
Dayton - Fordham (27)
Albany - Fordham (27)
Alabam A&M - Southern (60)

Nova beat Hofstra.. so why is Hofstra a 'best' win for UNH and not a 'best' win for Nova???

gsugt1
November 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM
YSU and Elon are out because each only has six D-I wins. The selection committee sets the minimum number for eligibility at seven.

Wrong. They use it as a recomendation only.

If you are including Elon GSU has a better resume with wins over App, Wofford, Citadel and SDSU. Also take into account one of our losses is to a 1a.

UDChE89
November 18th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Nova beat Hofstra.. so why is Hofstra a 'best' win for UNH and not a 'best' win for Nova???

Probably because Hofstra was ranked when UNH beat them and wasn't when 'Nova beat them.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM

If you are including Elon GSU has a better resume with wins over App, Wofford, Citadel and SDSU. Also take into account one of our losses is to a 1a.

Better resume with wins, not losses. You lost to us and UTC. That puts us even overall (as do all the computer rankings).

But how dare someone not mention GSU. Just how dare they.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I think UNH's wins over Hofstra and UD were more impressive at the time than Nova's, but ultimately, they're the same two teams. Nova has a better SOS, more conference wins and played better down the stretch. UNH has their game against Marshall to fall back on, but who knows. As an unbiased fan, which I'm not, I'd lean toward nova.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Better resume with wins, not losses. You lost to us and UTC. That puts us even overall (as do all the computer rankings).

And to be honest, if you line up the CAA teams based on quality conference performance. Richmond, UMass, UNH, JMU and Villanova have done the best.

But the again, Elon, The Citadel, GSU and YSU are penalized because we actually have to play EVERYONE in our conference good and bad.

th0m
November 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM

And to be honest, if you line up the CAA teams based on quality conference performance. Richmond, UMass, UNH, JMU and Villanova have done the best.

But the again, Elon, The Citadel, GSU and YSU are penalized because we actually have to play EVERYONE in our conference good and bad.

UMass played one of the worst CAA teams in URI and lost, so I don't know how much water your argument holds when it comes to "good and bad". Or UNH losing to 3-8 Northeastern. We play 9 conf games, you play 7, that's a STAT.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
UMass played one of the worst CAA teams in URI and lost, so I don't know how much water your argument holds when it comes to "good and bad". Or UNH losing to 3-8 Northeastern. We play 9 conf games, you play 7, that's a STAT.

Good and bad are figurative speak only. GSU lost to UTC.

It just comes down to, if the CAA was W&M, Towson, Hofstra, Delaware, Richmond, JMU and Villanova. Things would be quite different as it would be full round robin and you'd have beaten yourself up against each other like the Gateway and SoCon did.

But instead, things are padded by most of the top teams not playing a full slate against each other.

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Most people, including myself, take it to mean that the committee will not take a team with less than seven D-I wins unless it absolutely has to. The only reason it's not a hard-and-fast rule is to allow for the possibility of a season in which there aren't enough seven-win teams to fill out the playoff field.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Actually, you play 8 conference games for 12 teams. So every team doesn't play 1/3 of the conference.

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
i wish either gsu or elon were eligible bc they both would be better than unh or nova!

FCS Preview
November 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Probably because Hofstra was ranked when UNH beat them and wasn't when 'Nova beat them.
Hofstra was ranked every week this season, since they beat Furman in Week 1.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
i wish either gsu or elon were eligible bc they both would be better than unh or nova!

I am not going to say that. I don't think Elon should be in. I am just saying that the CAA is padded because not everyone plays each other. Why should 1/4 or more of the playoffs be filled with teams that didn't play 1/3 of their conference?

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Agreed. GSU is clearly better, in my mind, than some of the teams that will be in the playoffs, and it will be unfortunate that Jayson Foster won't get to show his stuff to some new audiences--I think he's probably the best player in the country and should win the Payton. GSU was in a very tough position having to win on the road against an FBS school to get in, but on the other hand, if they'd taken care of business against Furman it wouldn't have mattered. Having a sub-FCS game on the schedule hurt, too. When you have a D-II and an FBS on your schedule in the same season, it drastically reduces your margin for error.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
So the moral of the story is, schedule a bad Pioneer, MAAC or NEC team instead of a D-II.

Which I guess Elon has learned. No more D-IIs on our schedule for 4 years at least.

URMite
November 18th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Good and bad are figurative speak only. GSU lost to UTC.

It just comes down to, if the CAA was W&M, Towson, Hofstra, Delaware, Richmond, JMU and Villanova. Things would be quite different as it would be full round robin and you'd have beaten yourself up against each other like the Gateway and SoCon did.

But instead, things are padded by most of the top teams not playing a full slate against each other.

So if the CAA was those 6 teams we would each play the other 5 like we did this year and every year? :p

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Why should 1/4 or more of the playoffs be filled with teams that didn't play 1/3 of their conference?

Because the 'committee' obviously recognizes that the CAA is the toughest FCS league in the country... :D xlolx :p

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM
So if the CAA was those 6 teams we would each play the other 5 like we did this year and every year? :p

Richmond played the most high ranked CAA teams and won out of the lot of you. This is why I would have seeded Richmond over UMass. I posted the breakdown of the top 7 CAA programs, how the faired against each other and how many each of you didn't play.

Rhode Island, Towson and Northeastern played 6 or more of each of you.

Delaware won 1 game against the top and got a home game. UNH lost 4 conference games and didn't even play all the tough CAA teams.

Both made the playoffs.

Our playoff system is as much of a sham as the BCS system is. Sure, 16 teams get to prove it out. But when you get this type of thing happening, it skews who proves it out. We are no better than the FBS system, I will never say it is better again.

Pantherpower
November 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Man would it be nice for the UNI-Dome to become the House of Horrors the next three weeks for teams from the CAA--UNH, Delaware and UMass.xeekx ;)

WildCat In The Hat
November 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Richmond played the most high ranked CAA teams and won out of the lot of you. This is why I would have seeded Richmond over UMass. I posted the breakdown of the top 7 CAA programs, how the faired against each other and how many each of you didn't play.

Rhode Island, Towson and Northeastern played 6 or more of each of you.

Delaware won 1 game against the top and got a home game. UNH lost 4 conference games and didn't even play all the tough CAA teams.

Both made the playoffs.

Our playoff system is as much of a sham as the BCS system is. Sure, 16 teams get to prove it out. But when you get this type of thing happening, it skews who proves it out. We are no better than the FBS system, I will never say it is better again.

Please tell me your not saying UNH has had an easy schedule. @JMU (playoff team); @Richmond (co-caa champ & playoff team); @ UMASS (co-caa champ & playoff team); @Marshall (FBS team); Delaware (playoff team), @ Hofstra (nationally ranked all year).
So let me make sure what point your making-UNH didn't play all the tough CAA teams-yet as it looks to me we played every CAA team that is in the playoffs. Besides ourselves that is-because, unlike you, we are not sitting at home playing with ourselvesxnonox .

xpeacex

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
That is a suggestion for consideration not a rule.xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
On CSN waves, they basically said that teams with less than seven DI wns were struck from the board, as frankly, the 6 wins they had weren't good enough to justify inclusion. I posted this in another thread, but it was stated plainly in the presentation...UNH got in for two reasons: FBS victory, quality SOS. I'd agree that Santos played a role in getting in, as well, but it was not the driving factor.

EmeryZach
November 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I'll have to admit that I was pretty shocked to see UNH get the nod, but happy that they did. Should be a fun one against UNI. Santos in a dome, oh boy.

UNH 40
November 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'll have to admit that I was pretty shocked to see UNH get the nod, but happy that they did. Should be a fun one against UNI. Santos in a dome, oh boy.

Santos in perfect conditions is extremely tough to stop. I think that UNI got a raw deal with this draw. They should be playing a team like EIU or Fordham. As for UNH getting selected over NOVA I believe the appeal of a player like Santos with the career he has had, played a huge role in UNH's fourth straight playoff birth.

This one could become a track meet.

Anybody know what the TV schedule is for the first round?

dwtime
November 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Man would it be nice for the UNI-Dome to become the House of Horrors the next three weeks for teams from the CAA--UNH, Delaware and UMass.xeekx ;)

Be VERY careful with what you wish for, UNH is going there with NOTHING to lose. You should beat UNH but many teams like Rutgers, Northwestern and Marshall have said that as well. Could there be Ricky magic in the UNI dome?