PDA

View Full Version : Viator says Brown best offensive player in SLC

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Since some of us have discussed the question of whether or not Central Arkansas quarterback Nathan Brown is the best in the SLC, I thought it fair to say that I was listening to the radio last night and heard McNeese head coach Matt Viator say that Brown is "...the best offensive player in the conference."

The guy is good. His team was on the short end of the score but he was very good at avoiding the rush then throwing extremely accurate passes with a lot of velocity when necessary and plenty of touch when that was appropriate. His stats were pretty good as it was and would've been better without some drops on the part of his receivers.

McNeese_beat
November 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Since some of us have discussed the question of whether or not Central Arkansas quarterback Nathan Brown is the best in the SLC, I thought it fair to say that I was listening to the radio last night and heard McNeese head coach Matt Viator say that Brown is "...the best offensive player in the conference."

The guy is good. His team was on the short end of the score but he was very good at avoiding the rush then throwing extremely accurate passes with a lot of velocity when necessary and plenty of touch when that was appropriate. His stats were pretty good as it was and would've been better without some drops on the part of his receivers.

I think Bomar is the better prospect, Brown the better QB.

McDABest
November 18th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I can't disagree, but I wonder how well he would have done with Mr. Smith running at him.

MSU_77
November 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I can't disagree, but I wonder how well he would have done with Mr. Smith running at him.

LOL! Me too, but I think that question is distinct from how good an offensive player he is. That is more a question of how well his OL could have protected him. From what I heard, he did pretty well escaping from some near-sacks last night on his own.

McNeese_beat
November 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM

The thing that's impressive about Brown, in terms of pure physical tools, is his ability to get rid of the ball so quickly while still throwing with velocity and accuracy. Makes him hard to sack.

McDABest
November 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think he is, but I would still like to have seen us "turn Smitty loose."

UCABEARS75
November 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Good question.

But you have to also consider how your QB (sorry can't remember his name right off hand) would have done vs. YOUR defense.

By the way, your QB was an awsome player but our defense is not nearly as good as ya'lls.

BEAR
November 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
The thing that's impressive about Brown, in terms of pure physical tools, is his ability to get rid of the ball so quickly while still throwing with velocity and accuracy. Makes him hard to sack.

You said it all right there. xthumbsupx He played with several bruised ribs and a torn miniscus (sp?) in his knee during that game. I was very proud of his efforts. His ability to get the ball where it needs to be no matter what the pressure is phenomenal. Ask SELA fans. Plus he's smart enough to throw it away when nothings there. He deserved the OPOY award. Smith got his and he didn't even play in the last game. xbowx That tells you Smith is a talent indeed!

GeauxLions94
November 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
You said it all right there. xthumbsupx He played with several bruised ribs and a torn miniscus (sp?) in his knee during that game. I was very proud of his efforts. His ability to get the ball where it needs to be no matter what the pressure is phenomenal. Ask SELA fans. Plus he's smart enough to throw it away when nothings there. He deserved the OPOY award. Smith got his and he didn't even play in the last game. xbowx That tells you Smith is a talent indeed!

Even when he's apparently wrapped up (especially in our game), he was able to get out and get rid of the ball with great velocity and accuracy.

If I had to choose a QB to run my team and choices were between Brown and Fourroux, I'd have to think about it as both are special players

McNeese75
November 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Good question.

But you have to also consider how your QB (sorry can't remember his name right off hand) would have done vs. YOUR defense.By the way, your QB was an awsome player but our defense is not nearly as good as ya'lls.

:D He has been doing that all year xnodx

No punches pulled in Cowboy practices. Practice includes #1 Defense against #1 Offense and at game speed xthumbsupx

Purple Pride
November 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I think Bomar is the better prospect, Brown the better QB.
PLEASE!!!!!! Bomar couldn't carry NB's jock.xrulesx

McNeese_beat
November 20th, 2007, 11:35 PM
PLEASE!!!!!! Bomar couldn't carry NB's jock.xrulesx

Against McNeese, I believe Bomar had a better game than Brown did. Plus, Bomar stepped up against better competition, particularly North Dakota State. Brown struggled against La. Tech and South Dakota State and had just an OK game against McNeese.

So I not only think Bomar could "carry Brown's jock" he think if I were picking a team right now, I might pick Bomar. The only issue is I think Brown is probably a better guy in the locker room...but I don't know that.

Lionsrking
November 21st, 2007, 02:42 AM

In my opinion, Nathan Brown was the best player we played against in the Southland Conference this year and the best QB we've faced since bringing football back. That includes Harrell from Texas Tech and Reesing from Kansas. He was simply special the night we faced him!!!

McNeese75
November 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM
In my opinion, Nathan Brown was the best player we played against in the Southland Conference this year and the best QB we've faced since bringing football back. That includes Harrell from Texas Tech and Reesing from Kansas. He was simply special the night we faced him!!!

That's good and bad cause your gonna get to see Mr. Special again next year with a supporting cast of 19 other returning starters :D xeekx

cowbellnation
November 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM
Nathan Brown vs. the SDSU Defense

29 of 38 for 256 yards, 0 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble, sacked 5 times

Bear84
November 21st, 2007, 03:03 PM
Nathan Brown vs. the SDSU Defense

29 of 38 for 256 yards, 0 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble, sacked 5 times

That is still a 76.3% completion rate (84% counting the ones the Rabbits caught xlolx ). Not bad considering the pressure he was under all night.

xpeacex