PDA

View Full Version : Marty Scarano On 5 CAA Teams

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM
"I imagine that will be discussed," said UNH director of athletics Marty Scarano after the game. "I don't think it should be a sticking point. I think the committee is charged with picking the eight best at-large teams and I hope they're blind to league affiliation."

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Wildcats+close+with+impressi ve+win&articleId=a40e22fe-7954-4f85-8b7f-7a25f6056539

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
If the CAA somehow gets 5 teams in.. Villanova (7-4) deserves the last spot over UNH (7-4).

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 08:52 AM
If the CAA somehow gets 5 teams in.. Villanova (7-4) deserves the last spot over UNH (7-4).

AGREED. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I don't agree that 'Nova deserves the last spot, though their close. To me, the difference is UNH beat the 1A on their schedule, while 'Nova did not. Though I would argue 'Nova finished better and had no bad losses, I think the big win would be the difference. That said, people don't want to give UNH credit for beating a Marshall team that still had a lot of hope in the season, early.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I think there's something to be said about four teams from the CAA south, too...

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM
To further expound, UNH and 'Nova both went 3-3 against common opponents in the CAA. UNH went 3-0 OOC, 'Nova was 2-1 with a loss to Maryland. 'Nova also had Towson and W&M, while UNH had NU and URI...Nova is more deserving because they have wins over Towson and W&M?

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I don't agree that 'Nova deserves the last spot, though their close. To me, the difference is UNH beat the 1A on their schedule, while 'Nova did not. Though I would argue 'Nova finished better and had no bad losses, I think the big win would be the difference. That said, people don't want to give UNH credit for beating a Marshall team that still had a lot of hope in the season, early.

I doubt that the Committe will consider the win over a (2-9) Marshall as a 'big win'..

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Nova is a better team than UNH is. That is why I think Nova deserves greater consideration than UNH. Its nothing personal. I think UNH is a great program, but this year Nova is a tougher football team.

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I think the point margin in common games for UNH and Villanova will be the difference. In the 6 common games UNH was +48 over Villanova.

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM
To further expound, UNH and 'Nova both went 3-3 against common opponents in the CAA. UNH went 3-0 OOC, 'Nova was 2-1 with a loss to Maryland. 'Nova also had Towson and W&M, while UNH had NU and URI...Nova is more deserving because they have wins over Towson and W&M?

Nova (5-3) in the CAA

UNH (4-4) in the CAA

and I can't believe I'm advocating for Villanova... xnutsx

santosballnewhampshire
November 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I find it hard to believe that a Delawarwe fan is saying that, I don't know if you went to the game at New Hampshire, but we pretty much destroyed you guys with our back up quarterback playing the second half. You guys scored 14 points in the last 2 minutes as UNH went into prevent defense.xnodx

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I find it hard to believe that a Delawarwe fan is saying that, I don't know if you went to the game at New Hampshire, but we pretty much destroyed you guys with our back up quarterback playing the second half. You guys scored 14 points in the last 2 minutes as UNH went into prevent defense.xnodx

And you are STILL 7-4 and 4-4 in the CAA... xrolleyesx

DB_Atlantic10
November 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
The CAA will not get five....just won't happen, that went out the door with the Hofstra loss yesterday.... as long as their are other 8-3 and 7 D-I win teams out there, they will always get the nod.......xrulesx

tribe_pride
November 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I don't know how I feel because I think it is close but for those of you advocating for UNH over Nova and say the difference is a win over Marshall.

What about the difference in bad losses and the way the teams finished the season? UNH lost to a 3-8 Northeastern team (I know the weather but both teams had that weather), got blown away at UMass then beat a bad Maine team. Nova lost to UMD which nobody will argue is a bad loss and in the last 3, lost by 8 at Richmond, beat a bad Towson team, then beat a playoff team with Delaware.

And you can't argue the 4 from the South if you don't want the Committee to take into account there can be 5 from the CAA.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I saw both the Nova and the UNH games in Amherst this year. There is no comparison. Nova is a stronger team. I think UNH got banged up during the season and UMass certainly contributed to that with 8 sacks. But after seeing both UNH and Nova - Nova is just a better team IMO and its not that close.

NovaWildcat
November 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM
A win over Marshall doesn't mean much. At this point, no one is impressed with wins over low-level FBS teams - we all know that the elite in FCS is just as good, if not better.

That said, we beat UDel & Hofstra, took UMass to 4 OT's, played Richmond down to the final minutes, and had 0 bad losses. Got killed at JMU, but that's a tough game for anyone.

If you don't think that Villanova is one of the 8 best non-auto bid teams (regardless of 4 losses), you just didn't see us play.

Monarch History
November 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I would like to see as many CAA schools as possible get bids but I'm not sold on 5 CAA bids and not even sure they will get more than 3 bids.

Time will tell.

LehighFan11
November 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think UNH deserves the bid over Nova. To be able to be the top 8 at large teams, you must beat high level teams. Its nice to say we won the games we were suppose to win and lost the games we were suppose to lose. UNH beat Marshall and Nova didn't beat Maryland. Now I know Marshall is not nearly as good as Maryland, but still. If Nova would of took Maryland down to the wire or if UNH didn't beat Marshall, i would say Nova deserves it more.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Along the same lines though, Villanova's losses are all quality, and for the most part, we have the same quality wins. 'Nova was BETTER against FCS competition, 7 wins, no losses outside the top 10 GPI, which may play a role. I think most would agree though, that between the two teams, UNH is probably the one who could be more dangerous. With that said, however, the fact that UNH lost to NU and put it in the committee's hands is inexcuseable, and thus, they have no one to blame but themselves. We wouldn't be talking about Norfolk State, Albany, Dayton or Nova if UNH could've just done what 'Nova did, which is win the games they were supposed to.

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I take Villanova because they're the better team right now. Most of UNH's key wins came earlier in the season; down the stretch, they lost to Northeastern and, in their best chance for a statement win, lost to UMass by 20. Villanova, on the other hand, took that same UMass team to four OTs and cashed in on its chance for a late-season statement win by beating Delaware (and holding the Hens to just ten points in doing so). UNH also beat Delaware, but that was early in the season (as was their win over Marshall). UNH is clearly not the same team they were earlier in the year, and Santos is clearly not 100% (at least he wasn't against UMass, anyway), which may be a factor as well. The resumes are close, and I won't be shocked to see UNH get the bid, but I just feel that Villanova is the better team right now and has a better chance of winning a playoff game.

art vandelay
November 18th, 2007, 12:31 PM
i think the big difference maker is Ricky Santos i dont care what anyone says that will play a factor. UNH has the raining Walter Payton award winner. should this matter? no. but i really believe at the end of the day this will play some factor. i think that Villinova is probly playing better football and is probly much less injory riddled but i also think most teams will be very nervous having santos come to town and the commitee knows he will put on a show. sorry to all who find this unfair myself included to some extent but i believe it to be true if it happens to come down to Villinova or UNH.

art vandelay
November 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
i agree with umass1922

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 12:37 PM
i also think most teams will be very nervous having santos come to town and the commitee knows he will put on a show.

I wish this were true, but judging by the Santos I saw in Amherst last Saturday, I'm not sure it's likely, unless he's has made a rapid recovery in the past week. While I give some credit to our defense, Santos was clearly not at 100%. Given his condition, I'm not convinced he's going to "put on a show" against playoff-caliber defenses. If UNH gets in, I'd love to see him prove me wrong (except against us, should we meet again), but I'm just not so sure.

AAadict
November 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
'Nova should get the nod (but my guess is the selection committee will stop at 4 CAA teams). Best defense Hen's played all year. Credit to UNH for hiring Hen's back up quarterback as coach to steal signals. Ranks right up there with Navy's fake field goal and 'Nova's fake punt against us. What tricks could DSU have in mind?

89Hen
November 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I think the CAA is set with just 4 teams Good teams get left out and with a record of 7-4, I would be more than surprised if the committee selected the 5th team.

BlueHen86
November 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I think the CAA is set with just 4 teams Good teams get left out and with a record of 7-4, I would be more than surprised if the committee selected the 5th team.
I agree.

alexale23
November 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I doubt that this conversation even matters cause only four teams from the CAA are going to get in. But if it did matter NOVA and UNH should step on the field today and settle it. That would be a good game.

WildcatFan
November 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
'Credit to UNH for hiring Hen's back up quarterback as coach to steal signals.

Are you serious? Do you mean to tell me the signals have not been changed since last year?

UNHWildCats
November 18th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Are you serious? Do you mean to tell me the signals have not been changed since last year?
just a bitter hen looking for excuses to why UNH destroyed delaware.

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
just a bitter hen looking for excuses to why UNH destroyed delaware.

Destroyed??? If UD recovered that last on-sides kick.. UNH would have lost the game...

I stated that with two season ending loses.. UD probably doesn't really deserve a playoff bid.. but there is NO probably when it comes to UNH.. they definately DO NOT deserve a playoff bid.