PDA

View Full Version : If UNI is the #1 seed, SIU has to be in the top 4

salukidean
November 17th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I keep looking at everyone's projections and I don't understand how some people can have UNI as the top pick yet not include SIU among the top 4 seeds.

SIU's only loss was to UNI and this game was on the road...in perhaps the toughest road venue in the FCS....and they only lost by 6....ending the game just 6 yards short of a touchdown which could have given them the win.

These two teams battled it out in a classic football game which could have gone either way and the result demonstrated that there is very little difference between the quality of these two teams.

I can understand not giving SIU a seed if you gave UNI a #3 or #4 seed (which would be very unjust to them)....however, if they are #1 (which they deserve), I don't see how it can be justifiable to seed a team with 2 losses above a one loss team who's already proven it can play with the Panthers.

Honestly, I think SIU is deserving of a #2 or #3 seed (which could lead to a classic rematch with UNI in Chattanooga)...but I could live with a #4. Anything else is clearly unacceptable and makes a mockery of the playoff process.

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
2 things going against SIU I think. I feel a confernce winner has an edge over SIU and also the fact that Montana, McNeese, and UNI are going to be seeded the committee will look for an East Coast as the last seed.

MSU_77
November 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Based on SIU's performance this season, I think you have a good argument for a 4 seed.

Squealofthepig
November 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I think most could see a #4 seed for SIU - as you say, their lone loss to the concensus #1, undefeated UNI, was still a good loss.

The question becomes, really, how the selection committee wants to play this.

On the one hand, how deserving is SIU of a #4 seed? As you say, I think it's hard not to have SIU in the conversation here.

On the other hand, how much do you want to reward an ASU win over Michigan (coupled with a strong season from ASU)? And what does it mean to potentially have another game at Kidd Brewer?

This season would be SO much easier to figure out if Michigan had just won out after losing to ASU. Beating an otherwise undefeated Michigan would probably make ASU a shoo-in for #4.

salukidean
November 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
2 things going against SIU I think. I feel a confernce winner has an edge over SIU and also the fact that Montana, McNeese, and UNI are going to be seeded the committee will look for an East Coast as the last seed.

Why would this argument apply this year when it hasn't in the past? There's been many cases of 2 teams from the same conference being seeded in past years and some years have been very east coast biased in the seeding.

There are no requirements that the top seeds be conference champs or distributed equally by geographics....just because it happens to be the Gateway with 2 very strong teams this year is no reason to start making up rules.

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Why would this argument apply this year when it hasn't in the past? There's been many cases of 2 teams from the same conference being seeded in past years and some years have been very east coast biased in the seeding.

There are no requirements that the top seeds be conference champs or distributed equally by geographics....just because it happens to be the Gateway with 2 very strong teams this year is no reason to start making up rules.

I am not making up any rules, I just have a hunch that SIU will get passed over for a seed.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Quit ******ing whining. Leave UNI out of your argument, Schmedley.

xrolleyesx

igo4uni
November 17th, 2007, 10:35 PM
East Coast bias.

salukidean
November 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Quit ******ing whining. Leave UNI out of your argument, Schmedley.

xrolleyesx

Take UNI out of the argument and SIU is undefeated....makes the case even stronger for a seed! ;)

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM

I don't think any rules would need to be made up to justify Richmond getting a seed over SIU. Richmond has the same number of D-I wins (nine), more wins over playoff-bound teams (two--three if UNH makes it--compared to zero for SIU), and a tie for the conference championship in a conference that's rated higher than the Gateway. The best items on SIU's resume are the close loss to UNI and a win over FBS Northern Illinois, to go along with the second-place finish in an excellent conference.

If SIU gets a seed they will have deserved it, but don't act like it's an injustice should Richmond get one instead.

Cap'n Cat
Take UNI out of the argument and SIU is undefeated....makes the case even stronger for a seed! ;)

*Yawn*

appfan2008
We will find out tomorrow... obviously SIU is the fourth best team but having a champion from one of the two best conferences this year socon and caa may be important to the committee... we will see!

skinny_uncle
November 17th, 2007, 10:48 PM
*Yawn*
Go back to your nap, Cap'n.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/lazycatoncouch.jpg

Purple For Life
November 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Aww...is that your kitty? He's so soft and floofy and pettable!

*ahem* sorry, I'm just really very enamored with cats. Suppose I'm in the right place!

igo4uni
November 17th, 2007, 10:55 PM

*ahem* sorry, I'm just really very enamored with cats. Suppose I'm in the right place!

You're just fine, PFL.xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

skinny_uncle
November 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/cat-shock.jpg

T-Dog
November 17th, 2007, 10:57 PM
We will find out tomorrow... obviously SIU is the fourth best team but having a champion from one of the two best conferences this year socon and caa may be important to the committee... we will see!

And whoever has the better bid for a home game also goes into consideration.

Jerbearasu
November 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
And whoever has the better bid for a home game also goes into consideration.
I don't think it is in consideration for the seeding. I am pretty sure the bids are solely for the teams that are not seeds to see who will host. Also the seed is required to hit the minimum amount for a round and can give up the rights to host a game if they don't want to pony up the cash...

D1B
November 18th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I keep looking at everyone's projections and I don't understand how some people can have UNI as the top pick yet not include SIU among the top 4 seeds.

SIU's only loss was to UNI and this game was on the road...in perhaps the toughest road venue in the FCS....and they only lost by 6....ending the game just 6 yards short of a touchdown which could have given them the win.

These two teams battled it out in a classic football game which could have gone either way and the result demonstrated that there is very little difference between the quality of these two teams.

I can understand not giving SIU a seed if you gave UNI a #3 or #4 seed (which would be very unjust to them)....however, if they are #1 (which they deserve), I don't see how it can be justifiable to seed a team with 2 losses above a one loss team who's already proven it can play with the Panthers.

Honestly, I think SIU is deserving of a #2 or #3 seed (which could lead to a classic rematch with UNI in Chattanooga)...but I could live with a #4. Anything else is clearly unacceptable and makes a mockery of the playoff process.

You are absolutely correct. The seedings however are not based entirely on performance. (I think you are a #2 seed)

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM

that looks like my cat.

McNeese_beat
November 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
One thing I look it is wins against playoff teams and I can't find any. Sure, YSU and WIU are quality wins, but Richmond may have three wins over teams in the playoffs (if either New Hampshire or Villanova get in) AND it will be a conference champion in one of the power conferences

nmatsen
November 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
The problem with your argument is that Richmond has almost twice as many teams in their conference. You can have parity in the CAA and still have 3-4 teams with 8-9 wins. If Western Illinois wouldn't have had to play UNI and they would have had to play another lower tier school they would have been a playoff contender, same thing with YSU. Look at the fact that your first and second place team in the conference had one loss between the two of them. That means that all the teams in our conference already had two losses. A feat that a lot of conferences (not saying all) would have had happen with UNI and SIU involved.

McNeese_beat
November 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM
The problem with your argument is that Richmond has almost twice as many teams in their conference. You can have parity in the CAA and still have 3-4 teams with 8-9 wins. If Western Illinois wouldn't have had to play UNI and they would have had to play another lower tier school they would have been a playoff contender, same thing with YSU. Look at the fact that your first and second place team in the conference had one loss between the two of them. That means that all the teams in our conference already had two losses. A feat that a lot of conferences (not saying all) would have had happen with UNI and SIU involved.

I agree in general, but in Richmond's case, it played four of the five teams that are in the playoffs or should be contending for the playoffs. When you don't play every team in your conference, you should look at each schedule individually. They wound up playing a tougher conference schedule than UMass, which only played the two 7-4 would-be playoff teams.

In the CAA, there's a chance your schedule will allow you to almost miss all of the top teams, as UMass's schedule allowed, or there's a chance you'll play them all, as was the case for William & Mary.

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Rather then who you beat, we need to look at who you lost to.

SIU-lost to #1
UMass-lost to FBS and #6
App-lost to #12 and # 14
Richmond- lost to FBS and #51 (Towson)

I think the choice becomes clear.

(GPI ratings used.)

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
No reaction to my last post on this thread.
Interesting.
xsmiley_wix

bcrawf
November 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I agree Skinny...

I really believe that SIU deserves the #2 seed. I hope they get the #4, but I am not sure it will happen. Selfishly, I hope you guys are as far away on the bracket from us as they can possibly put you, if we are destined to play again, I want it in Chatty...

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I agree Skinny...

I really believe that SIU deserves the #2 seed. I hope they get the #4, but I am not sure it will happen. Selfishly, I hope you guys are as far away on the bracket from us as they can possibly put you, if we are destined to play again, I want it in Chatty...
Thank you. That is flattering.