PDA

View Full Version : Best Campaign for an At Large Teams

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
In what seems like the 32,000 threads for who will be the at-large teams, I am reading several good and not so good arguments for different schools who seem on the bubble. It is almost like a political campaign with lots of spin...

Who is making a great case?

Who is not?

How many are hoping that UNH doesn't get it just so we don't have to look at unhwildcats avatar anymore?

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Whatever happens, I think people will applaud (or perhaps, denigrate) the overwhelming swarm of UNH fans just doing anything to justify inclusion. It's kind of neat to see (though probably not for most of you..heh).

Goodness, I just feel it would be great for the FCS playoffs for Ricky Santos to get one more shot.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
In what seems like the 32,000 threads for who will be the at-large teams, I am reading several good and not so good arguments for different schools who seem on the bubble. It is almost like a political campaign with lots of spin...

Who is making a great case?

Who is not?

How many are hoping that UNH doesn't get it just so we don't have to look at unhwildcats avatar anymore?
I aint going anywhere xpeacex xcoolx I'd just have to post more about the Patriots and daily threads on Red Sox offseason goings on :p

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Whatever happens, I think people will applaud (or perhaps, denigrate) the overwhelming swarm of UNH fans just doing anything to justify inclusion. It's kind of neat to see (though probably not for most of you..heh).

Goodness, I just feel it would be great for the FCS playoffs for Ricky Santos to get one more shot.
Agreed, and the committee certainly could have that in the backs of there heads when making a decision, Santos could be a wildcard for UNH's chances.

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
It is getting serious in here but it sure is all fun!

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
If UNH dont get in, I'll be bummed out for a few hours til the Patriots whoop the bills on there way to 10-0, plus I will already be celebrating a MLS CUp Championship, and I may have a decent UNH Basketball team to root for this year. 2-1 with its only loss so far by 10 to Boston College, not bad :p

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM
If UNH dont get in, I'll be bummed out for a few hours til the Patriots whoop the bills on there way to 10-0, plus I will already be celebrating a MLS CUp Championship, and I may have a decent UNH Basketball team to root for this year. 2-1 with its only loss so far by 10 to Boston College, not bad :p

My son is a great fan of the patriots... I hear from him about them al the time (along with Georgia Bulldogs and Wofford)

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Everyone is equally entitled to their opinions, and that this point, I am a huge proponent of blatant homerism. At least for this night, the feeling that there might be one more game is enough to have me borderline giddy.

As an aside, can anyone imagine a UNI/UNH or UM/UNH game on Friday Night on ESPN. If ESPN is lookng to pull in some ratings, it would be a natural choice for one FCS most recognizable figures in Santos to attempt to take on the unbeaten.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Everyone is equally entitled to their opinions, and that this point, I am a huge proponent of blatant homerism. At least for this night, the feeling that there might be one more game is enough to have me borderline giddy.

As an aside, can anyone imagine a UNI/UNH or UM/UNH game on Friday Night on ESPN. If ESPN is lookng to pull in some ratings, it would be a natural choice for one FCS most recognizable figures in Santos to attempt to take on the unbeaten.

Gosh I so want UNI or Montana in the playoffs. UNI more so because we can pay them back for what happened in 2005 when we were #1 :P

Ideally we make it and get to beat UMass, Montana and UNI on our way to Chatty and avenge Santo's 3 playoff losses... add in ASU so we can avenge the 1994 loss too.... maybe in 20 years Samford will be good again and we can take care of 1991 :p

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM

A) the friday game will not be between teams that have to fly...

B) the game starts at 130 eastern so it wont be any further west than the central time zone

WSBE
November 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I can't speak for UNHWildcats avitar but the best campaign I have is that UNH is the next best team with the most potential in the playoffs, with the strongest schedule & ranked the highest on all polls. Who cares how may teams from one division..it shoud be the best 8 at-large teams

a few other anecdotes as to why the selection committee might choose UNH if the last spot is subjective (from another post):

1) Ricky Santos. One of the bigger stories in FCS. C'mon, he's TV material. There only 2 guys in the history of D1 football that threw more TDs than he has in his career (he went ahead of McNair today)

2) UNH has become a regular in the tourney. (3 years in a row)

3) UNH has had good success in very exciting games in the tourney (even when they lose- (UNI, UMASS) & big wins (Georgia Southern, Hampton, Colgate, etc)

4) They beat an undefeated Delaware & Hofstra teams pretty good

5) One of their losses was in the same hurricane conditions (not as bad) that had URI beat UMASS

6) 2 other losses against UMASS & Richmond. 2 top 10 teams

7) A very impressive win today against a good Maine team

8) Their offense did more against Marshall in one half than West Virginia had done 1 week prior as the #2 FBS team in the nation

Squealofthepig
November 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I definitely agree UNH should be thoroughly considered, and I think the UNH fans have done an outstanding job of championing their cause.

An even better way to look at this, imo, is to ask the seeds (one of whom would get the last team in the playoffs) who they would NOT want to see. UNH would definitely be a scary last team in, and have the talent to win. Actually, several of the potential 16 teams are rather scary - which I think speaks volumes of the strength of the FCS this year.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM

Agreed. Santos did his best to encourage a 4th straight invite: 25-32, 350+ yards, 4 TDs in 39-14 win over Umaine.

Longhorn
November 17th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I can't speak for UNHWildcats avitar but the best campaign I have is that UNH is the next best team with the most potential in the playoffs, with the strongest schedule & ranked the highest on all polls. Who cares how may teams from one division..it shoud be the best 8 at-large teams

a few other anecdotes as to why the selection committee might choose UNH if the last spot is subjective (from another post):

1) Ricky Santos. One of the bigger stories in FCS. C'mon, he's TV material. There only 2 guys in the history of D1 football that threw more TDs than he has in his career (he went ahead of McNair today)

2) UNH has become a regular in the tourney. (3 years in a row)

3) UNH has had good success in very exciting games in the tourney (even when they lose- (UNI, UMASS) & big wins (Georgia Southern, Hampton, Colgate, etc)

4) They beat an undefeated Delaware & Hofstra teams pretty good

5) One of their losses was in the same hurricane conditions (not as bad) that had URI beat UMASS

6) 2 other losses against UMASS & Richmond. 2 top 10 teams

7) A very impressive win today against a good Maine team

8) Their offense did more against Marshall in one half than West Virginia had done 1 week prior as the #2 FBS team in the nation

Admittedly it's a disappointing end to Santos' career, but UNH will be staying home. The NU loss was bad, and the HU win not that good (in hindsight). Bottom line, the '07 edition of the Wildcats are just not in the same league as UMass, JMU, and UR the other CAA playoff bound teams.

grayghost06
November 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I think in comparing the relative worth of all teams being considered, it's fair to examine out of conference records. The reason UNH has 4 conference losses is that the CAA is 21-4 against FCS Out of Conference opponents. They are in a very tough conference. I just don't buy the rational of a team getting in because they have two less losses, but did it in a powderpuff conferece with a lousy OOC record.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Longhorn, I assume you don't think NOVA deserves a shot either? We have more quality wins than NOVA no matter how you slice it, and I think that could be a real difference maker. Both teams played abominable schedules. I would like nothing more than to see 6 CAA teams, heh..we all know that's not happening, though.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Admittedly it's a disappointing end to Santos' career, but UNH will be staying home. The NU loss was bad, and the HU win not that good (in hindsight). Bottom line, the '07 edition of the Wildcats are just not in the same league as UMass, JMU, and UR the other CAA playoff bound teams.

While that's true Longhorn about UMass, JMU and UR, but that's not the question. Are they better than the other candidates for the 16th slot? I think they and Nova are better than the others being discussed. And I don't think it's outlandish to think about UNH as capable as the 4th CAA team Delaware.

To add to the UNH argument, their loss to Richmond in VA in September was by about one TD IIRC. And they were throwing into the end zone for the tying TD when time expired. And they played UR that close without RB Chad Kackert who is a huge part of the UNH offense.

We all understand they we only have ourselves to blame because of the Northeastern debacle, but we do deserve to be part of the final discussion for the bids. I won't lose any sleep if Nova is chosen, but I do feel UNH has a slightly better resume. I will feel Woof'ed if Albany, Dayton, Norfolk State or any other from that group is selected. I don't buy the five team argument. If the Gateway can get four (50%), then the CAA should be able to get five (less than 50%).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
And for all the discussion about CAA teams "ducking" other CAA teams, don't forget that UNH played @JMU, @Richmond, Delaware, @UMass and @Hofstra. Add @Marshall to that and you have an impressive schedule. Not Southern Utah insanity mind you, but very difficult in its own right.

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
UNH looks best to me as a fifth CAA entrant.

Now whether the committee has the balls to do the right thing, and pick the eight best teams, is another question.

LakeGriz
November 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM
appfan, re flying to Friday night: How do you think Massachusetts got to Montana for the Fri night semifinal last year?

LakeGriz
November 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM
It makes more sense to fly for Friday night and be home on Saturday, than to fly for Saturday and get home late Sat/early Sun for championship game on Fri night.

SuperJon
November 17th, 2007, 11:51 PM
We're a long shot, but here's our case:

8-3 record

Big South Champs (#7 ranked conference in FCS)

Won conference game 47.75-17.

If you add Presby (non-conference this year but a game the conference made us play), our average conference score was 47.8-16.4.

Add in our other Div I win, and we won our six Div I games by a margin of 51-15.

Two of our three losses were by a combined eight points. Against W&M, we lost in Double OT after coming back from down big. Against Toledo, we lost the game in the last two minutes.

Like it or not, the committee takes into off the field things as well. We're a great story (two seasons off a 1-10 record, first Big South in school history, all in the season after our #1 fan and founder passed away).

Also, they look at money. We're one of the few schools that can almost guarantee ticket sales anywhere. We have the resources to buy our students' tickets for free (it's happened multiple times in basketball games where students just showed up and boosters bought the tickets). This guarantees the NCAA money.

Now, the negatives:

Less than 7 Div I wins.

Blowout loss to Elon.

People see the Big South as a terrible conference.

W&M ended up not being good.

We have a case. I'm not saying it's a great one, just that we have a case.