PDA

View Full Version : It's All Over!...who gets the seeds??

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I cant call it, you tell me what you think......

Reed Rothchild
November 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Whats all over? UNI is still playing....

griz37
November 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM
1. UNI
2. Montana
3. McNeese
4. SIU or App St. it's a toss up

Tod

And McNeese has yet to play...

GreatAppSt
not us

BigApp
November 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM

little bit of premature ejac KB...McNeese hasn't started and UNI isn't done yet

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
1. UNI
2. Montana
3. McNeese

I would think SIU gets it over App St. Appy has shown a couple signs of inconsistency. They are a great team, but SIU has stayed pretty constant in their play. I'd like to think so anyway. Toss up on the 4 seed is right!!

appstate38
November 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM

You will have to forgive my fellow mountaineer's excitementxwhistlex

RationalGriz
I think that So Ill and UMass are more likely to be seeded than App. SIU has only the one loss to UNI, and I think a conference winner in UMass has the edge over a conference runner up.

KiddBrewer

im gonna on a limb and call it a win for uni.. just a guess

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM
You will have to forgive my fellow mountaineer's excitementxwhistlex

ha i hear ya, im not excited, personally i dont think we'll get one, so im not that excited!

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM
im gonna on a limb and call it a win for uni.. just a guess

yeah the slaughter has begun...

1. UNI
2. Montana
3. McNeese (if they win which they probably will)
4. SIU

xthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM
forgive me everyone, i know they havent played, but i also bet my car that theyll both win....truth be told, i just wanted to be the one to start this highly debated thread!

appstate38
November 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
1. UNI
2. Montana
3. McNeese

I can wait till tomorrow to find out. Not trying to necessarily be a HOMER but I would think the nod goes to ASU if for nothing else being the defending champ and because of attendance. I may be wrong and if so then so be it. Just glad to be in the show!

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I can wait till tomorrow to find out. Not trying to necessarily be a HOMER but I would think the nod goes to ASU if for nothing else being the defending champ and because of attendance. I may be wrong and if so then so be it. Just glad to be in the show!

What happened last year should have not effect for this year. Also, seeding the top 4 teams should have nothing to do with attendance, only determining the other 4 home teams.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM
What happened last year should have not effect for this year. Also, seeding the top 4 teams should have nothing to do with attendance, only determining the other 4 home teams.

That's the way it should be, but griz fans know it is not the case. I can see Appy being right.

ERASU2113
November 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM
ASU should not get a seed.....better teams than us

AshevilleApp
November 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
and honestly......App might be better for it (no seed).....let SIU go to the Dome in the 1/4 game assuming both last that far

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM
That's the way it should be, but griz fans know it is not the case. I can see Appy being right.

Grizaholic, can you give me one example of the Griz getting a seed without a very good record?

drpnut
November 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
My wife is an Appy so I pull for them after my Wofford boys. I'm trying to be fair, but how does App get a seed? I understand many are still riding the Michagan win pretty hard, but you didn't look real sharp today, and if seeds are not based on attendance, I'm not sure a 9-2 team that didn't get the AQ deserves a seed.

Pleae no smack, I'm not a hater, just trying be rational and fair.

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 06:23 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. McNeese State
3. Montana
4. Richmond

Not sure that Richmond will necessarily get it, but I think they need to be in the conversation along with SIU and ASU. It's not clear to me why they aren't. The Spiders will have won a share of first place in their conference, which neither SIU and ASU can claim, and seem to have more quality wins than either of those two (though clearly nothing to match ASU's win over Michigan). All I can say is, don't be shocked if Richmond beats out those two for the fourth seed.

At the very least, Richmond would have to be in line for a seed ahead of UMass. It's just not clear to my why people mention us as a possible seed when Richmond seems to clearly have the better resume by virtue of their quality wins (everything else being equal). If a seed goes to a CAA team, it's going to be to Richmond, end of story.

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. McNeese State
3. Montana
4. Richmond

Not sure that Richmond will necessarily get it, but I think they need to be in the conversation along with SIU and ASU. It's not clear to me why they aren't. The Spiders will have won a share of first place in their conference, which neither SIU and ASU can claim, and seem to have more quality wins than either of those two (though clearly nothing to match ASU's win over Michigan). All I can say is, don't be shocked if Richmond beats out those two for the fourth seed.

At the very least, Richmond would have to be in line for a seed ahead of UMass. It's just not clear to my why people mention us as a possible seed when Richmond seems to clearly have the better resume by virtue of their quality wins (everything else being equal). If a seed goes to a CAA team, it's going to be to Richmond, end of story.

Because UMass and Richmond are cochamps, but UMass got the AQ

appstate38
November 17th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I respect that.... Honestly I don't really care if we get one or not. Would like for them to play at home as long as possible. But as we all know with this year's field everybody will be a tough out whether you are home or away.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. McNeese State
3. Montana
4. Richmond

Whoa there, hoss. SIU just beat Hampton by 3 TDs with NONE of their starting secondary. That said I'd be happy to give Richmond the 4 seed.

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Because UMass and Richmond are cochamps, but UMass got the AQ

Has that been decided yet? I haven't heard anything about it yet. In any case, which one is arbitrarily declared the AQ by the conference (since it's going to be decided by a mere vote) shouldn't have anything to do with who gets the seed. Richmond clearly has the better case for a seed, IMHO (not that I would be disappointed if UMass were to get one, of course).

mistersykes
November 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
The Spiders will have won a share of first place in their conference, which neither SIU and ASU can claim

ASU won a share of the SoCon, but Wofford got the AQ by virtue of a better conference record.

Assuming the rest of the top teams win out today, it's probably a toss-up. I think that SIU is the most deserving since their only loss will have been to the undefeated and #1 ranked team, but I don't think the commitee wants two seeds from the same conference, although its been done before. I'm content just to wait until tomorrow!

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Has that been decided yet? I haven't heard anything about it yet. In any case, which one is arbitrarily declared the AQ by the conference (since it's going to be decided by a mere vote) shouldn't have anything to do with who gets the seed. Richmond clearly has the better case for a seed, IMHO (not that I would be disappointed if UMass were to get one, of course).

Yes, UMass won the coin flip

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 06:37 PM
ASU won a share of the SoCon, but Wofford got the AQ by virtue of a better conference record.

You're correct. My bad.

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Yes, UMass won the coin flip

So the committee is going to take the result of a coin flip into account when determining seeds? I highly doubt it.

patssle
November 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
McNeese still has a game to play...which is probably their toughest game of the year from their fairly easy schedule.

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM
So the committee is going to take the result of a coin flip into account when determining seeds? I highly doubt it.

Not necessarily, but UMass looks pretty much the same as Richmond, so they should at least be considered.

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2007, 06:49 PM

They had the same conference record, Wofford got the AQ by virtue of winning the head to head game.

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Not necessarily, but UMass looks pretty much the same as Richmond, so they should at least be considered.

Pretty much the same, yes--except that Richmond has wins over Delaware and James Madison. On resumes that are otherwise pretty even, that's an huge edge for Richmond that should count for a lot more that UMass's victory in the coin flip.

RE/MAXGriz
November 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
#1 UNI
#2 Montana
#3 McNeese (if they win)
#4 UMass or SIU

I just don't see App getting it, that Michigan win is overshadowed by two conference losses. Both UMass and SIU deserve a seed over App.

Umass74
November 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Pretty much the same, yes--except that Richmond has wins over Delaware and James Madison. On resumes that are otherwise pretty even, that's an huge edge for Richmond that should count for a lot more that UMass's victory in the coin flip.

After watching a crippled Villanova team manhandle the Hens, a lot of air just went out of Richmond's win over Delaware...

Applete
November 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Let's not forget that Apps 2 conference losses came from top 25 ranked opponents.

ASUdrummer
November 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I think that So Ill and UMass are more likely to be seeded than App. SIU has only the one loss to UNI, and I think a conference winner in UMass has the edge over a conference runner up.

For the last time people...ASU is NOT Conference runner-up. We are CO-(as in equal, side by side) Champions of the Southern Conference. Think what you want about it but that's the way it is. See you in the playoffs...

And for the record...I'm worried sick about the playoffs after the showing we had for our final Regular Season Game.

Best of luck to everyone! xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM
For the last time people...ASU is NOT Conference runner-up. We are CO-(as in equal, side by side) Champions of the Southern Conference. Think what you want about it but that's the way it is. See you in the playoffs...

And for the record...I'm worried sick about the playoffs after the showing we had for our final Regular Season Game.

Best of luck to everyone! xthumbsupx

I thought Wofford won it. Not co-won it with you? xeyebrowx

APPSTER
November 17th, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Salukis deserve the #4 seed. One loss - a close one - to the # 1 team is the reason. ASU has 2 losses (one at home) and that is a difference maker.

UMass' loss to Rhode Island should kill any chances of a seed for them. A late loss to a really bad team should eliminate them from consideration. Being the AQ in a league where all the teams don't play each other isn't as impressive as it is for teams that have to play everyone in their league.

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I thought Wofford won it. Not co-won it with you? xeyebrowx
Wofford won the AQ due to head to head with ASU, but they both won the conference championship.

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Wofford won the AQ due to head to head with ASU, but they both won the conference championship.

Gotcha. xoopsx I should of known that.

FCS Go!
November 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I was thinking that App St had the edge for the final seed but after their performance today (based on what App posters have said, mind you) I think S. Illinois gets it.

89Hen
November 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
#1 UNI
#2 Montana
#3 McNeese
#4 SIU

Take it to the bank. xnodx

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM
#1 UNI
#2 Montana
#3 McNeese
#4 SIU

Oh, I will! xwhistlex

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM

ASU IS CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS... not runner up

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I was thinking that App St had the edge for the final seed but after their performance today (based on what App posters have said, mind you) I think S. Illinois gets it.

yes we played badly today... especially on Defense

ASUdrummer
November 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I agree totally...We played very poorly. Was it just me or was AE hurtin' pretty badly on the passing side of the offense? I saw some passes that were very out of character. The 2nd and 3rd quarter we got straight man-handled by their defense. We need to greatly improve if we plan on making a run at Chatty...

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I agree totally...We played very poorly. Was it just me or was AE hurtin' pretty badly on the passing side of the offense? I saw some passes that were very out of character. The 2nd and 3rd quarter we got straight man-handled by their defense. We need to greatly improve if we plan on making a run at Chatty...

Teams do have on and off weeks. Appy is a good team and will show up for the next 3 weeks. But the 3rd week when they meet the griz.....xnodx

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM
AE kept coming over to the sideline and getting taped up right in front of me in the student section dont know what was wrong... i really would have liked to see him try to throw the ball more... it seemed like he was way to eager to tuck and run

grizbeer
November 17th, 2007, 09:31 PM
UNI #1
McNeese #2
Montana #2
App State #4

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
AE kept coming over to the sideline and getting taped up right in front of me in the student section dont know what was wrong... i really would have liked to see him try to throw the ball more... it seemed like he was way to eager to tuck and run

where was he being taped? Could be a finger jam or temporary splints for something.

Cleets
November 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
UNI #1
McNeese #2
Montana #2
App State #4

Harvard #5.... xlolx

Grizaholic17
November 17th, 2007, 09:35 PM
UNI #1
McNeese #2
Montana #2
App State #4

No no no.

UNI
Montana
McNeese
SIU

Cincy App
November 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Teams do have on and off weeks. Appy is a good team and will show up for the next 3 weeks. But the 3rd week when they meet the griz.....xnodx

ASU did not play its best game today but did survive and pulled away in the 4th quarter to win 37-17. I was encouraged by some aspects of the game. Defensively, we pitched a shutout in the second half and forced 4 turnovers in the game. Give UTC credit also - they played hard and their record is deceiving. They beat GSU and had very competitive games against I-A's Arkansas and WKU and most SoCon teams. The last couple weeks must have spoiled some of our fans. ASU will still be strongly considered for the 4th seed. Whoever gets the 4 seed will still need to prove they deserve it on the field beginning next weekend.

Mountain Man 2020
November 17th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Wasn't our best performance, but we won 37-17!!!!!!!!!! Margin of victory was bigger than SIU's 45-27 win over Hampton.

If we're going to get dinged for our performance today, than by that standard Montana definitely should not receive a seed for their body of work this year.

siugrad99
November 17th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Attendance & Past Playoff history should have no effect on the seeding process this season. SIU is the only 1 loss team in consideration for a seed and with that 1 loss to the # 1 team in FCS on the road homecoming weekend there is no question SIU should get the seed.

grizbeer
November 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Who know how the committee will look at things, but I would really be surprised if they didn't spread out the seed - not that SUI doesn't deserve one, but I also think App State deserves one (Delaware would deserve one if they hadn't lost the last 2 games) and i think the committee will want to spread them out.

Also McNeese can make as strong a claim for #2 as Montana can, and Montana got the benefit of the doubt over UMASS last year, so I think #2 goes to McTeam this year.

Cincy App
November 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Attendance & Past Playoff history should have no effect on the seeding process this season. SIU is the only 1 loss team in consideration for a seed and with that 1 loss to the # 1 team in FCS on the road homecoming weekend there is no question SIU should get the seed.

I believe there is plenty of question regarding the 4th seed. Also, will this be the year that SIU lives up to its regular season billing with its playoff performance - or will they struggle again?

Mountain Man 2020
November 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM
ASU did not play its best game today but did survive and pulled away in the 4th quarter to win 37-17. I was encouraged by some aspects of the game. Defensively, we pitched a shutout in the second half and forced 4 turnovers in the game. Give UTC credit also - they played hard and their record is deceiving. They beat GSU and had very competitive games against I-A's Arkansas and WKU and most SoCon teams. The last couple weeks must have spoiled some of our fans. ASU will still be strongly considered for the 4th seed. Whoever gets the 4 seed will still need to prove they deserve it on the field beginning next weekend.

Agreed. I guess some of our fans think we should be scoring 70+ on a weekly basis. ASU could have played better defense in the first half, but in the end it's a 20 point win.

siugrad99
November 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM
In all honestly SIU has learned something from each of it's defeats in the playoffs. Coach Kill learned after playing Delaware that we were very slow compared to them, after losing to EWU he learned he should have never put Terry Jackson in for 1 series (3 and out) and should have left Brandon Jacobs in to continue to bowl over the D and keep the lead at 11 points. After losing to Appy State he realized that we needed a passing offense & after losing to Montana he realized that we were still a bit slow on Defense and predictable on offense. My hope is coach has learned enough this season and a Top 4 seed would be a nice help.

One not to mention, I would not put it past our AD to have a bug in someones ear about the potential SIU has for hosting a 2nd round home playoff game on December 1st and then having the Top 25 ranked basketball team host the Top 10 ranked Indiana Hoosiers that evening. Talk about as good as it gets in college sports!

Griz Fan
November 17th, 2007, 10:03 PM
#1 UNI
#2 Montana
#3 McNeese
#4 SIU

This looks like the winning ticket to me. So I'm going ahead to make the deposit and will be cashing out tomorrow around 12:45 PST.

ezgriz51
November 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
C'mon guys...Griz 41-20 in Bozeman. Do you REALLY think anyone else in th FCS nation id gonna do that?

siugrad99
November 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM
so Montana is the only team that can beat MSU @ MSU ? That games final score was nowhere near as lopsided as the game. It was 27-20 with less than 9 minutes to go. A win is a win, but dont' act as if Montana is the only team to be able to beat MSU @ Home.

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM
C'mon guys...Griz 41-20 in Bozeman. Do you REALLY think anyone else in th FCS nation id gonna do that?

if thats supposed to say "is" insted of "id"......then yes, i can think of 3 or 4 others.

Cincy App
November 17th, 2007, 10:15 PM
SIUgrad99 - ASU has taken its lumps in playoffs before 2005. Good teams really do learn from the past losses. Good luck in the playoffs - except against ASU!

AlphaSigMD
November 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
OK, for those of you who think that our defense was not up to snuff today, perhaps you didn't notice, but UTC played really lights out ball for about a quarter and a half.

I'll admit, ASU's defense looked pretty normal throughout the 2nd quarter, but other than that they looked just fine..

They may have given up chunks of yardage, but where it really counted, on the scoreboard, they came up bigtime.

Zero points after halftime, a couple of INT's and a goaline stand?

It was ASU's offense that looked uninspired today...they didn't mix it up well...

FCS Go!
November 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
OK, for those of you who think that our defense was not up to snuff today, perhaps you didn't notice, but UTC played really lights out ball for about a quarter and a half.

I'll admit, ASU's defense looked pretty normal throughout the 2nd quarter, but other than that they looked just fine..

They may have given up chunks of yardage, but where it really counted, on the scoreboard, they came up bigtime.

Zero points after halftime, a couple of INT's and a goaline stand?

It was ASU's offense that looked uninspired today...they didn't mix it up well...

This all sounds very familiar...xchinscratchx

Are you sure you didn't watch a rerun of a Montana game?

RationalGriz
November 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM

I am a Griz fan, and I am getting tired of your posts.

ezgriz51
November 18th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I am a Griz fan, and I am getting tired of your posts.

Really, I've only done about five. I'll still stand by my claim that the second half the Griz played today will stand up against anyone. There are enough people against us. If you're really a true Griz fan, I'm with you.

KiddBrewer
November 18th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Really, I've only done about five. I'll still stand by my claim that the second half the Griz played today will stand up against anyone. There are enough people against us. If you're really a true Griz fan, I'm with you.

People arent against the griz, some are however against homerish comments..

ASUdrummer
November 18th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Unfortunately, there is a thing in this world called Politics and the committee is guilty of it just like the rest of the world. So yes, Attendance, $$$, and Back-to-Back Championships WILL play a part in the selection. Do we deserve the seed, no...will we get it? There's a good chance. Just the way it is. We'll take what they give us and play hard on the field. Can't wait!

SO ILLmatic
November 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I'll just say that attendance for home Saluki playoff games has been pretty embarassing. I dont know if the NCAA is willing to give us the potential of 2 home games, when it is more likely that a App St or a UMASS would have more fans in the stands.

I think attendance will come into play when picking number four.

GannonFan
November 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM
#1 UNI
#2 Montana
#3 McNeese
#4 SIU

Not a shocker, I'm in agreement! xnodx

McNeese_beat
November 18th, 2007, 01:45 AM
1. UNI
2. McNeese
3. Montana
4. Richmond

My arguments:

McNeese gets the No. 2 seed because of a better non-conference schedule and better performances against common opponents
Point 1 — McNeese had a better schedule: McNeese scheduled a preseason ranked Big Sky team, a D-II 2006 playoff team that's about to join D-I, an FBS, plus SUU, whichi is a common opponent to Montana (and most of the playoff field, ha). McNeese's D-II (South Dakota) was 6-5. Montana's was 1-10. McNeese had a bowl subdivision opponent in La.-Lafayette, Montana had a limited scholarship FCS team in Albany. As a conference, the SLC is rated higher in the Sagarin ratings, so that would make McNeese's conference schedule tougher.
Point 2 — McNeese was better against common opponents: McNeese blew out PSU 35-12. Montana barely held on for a 34-31 win. McNeese had a 34-0 lead early in the third quarter AT Southern Utah and emptied the bench in a 41-20 win. Southern Utah entered the fourth quarter AT Montana trailing just 17-9 before losing 37-17. It was 27-17 with five minutes left before Montana added a couple of late scores.

Clearly, McNeese played a better schedule and was better against common opponents. The one thing Montana has on McNeese is a win over Eastern Washington, which will be in the playoffs. But to me, that is offset by the quality win over an FBS.

Plus, I think there will be a political message sent about scheduling for home games as opposed to quality opponents...not to blast our friends in Montana, but there's a price to pay for trying to do the "BCS" thing and load up with home games and that price may be losing (ironically) home field in the playoffs.

Richmond gets the No. 4 seed because of quality wins
Richmond has wins over 2 and possibly 3 playoff teams (JMU, Delaware and either Villanova or New Hampshire). UMass has, at most, one (either Villanova or New Hampshire). Appalachian and SIU have exactly zero between them.

App State and SIU have the advantage of no bad losses. Plus, I think the Michigan win for ASU should count for A LOT. But I think the edge will go to Richmond because when (possibly) a third of your wins come against playoff teams, that's pretty dang impressive.

NOTE — I'm splitting hairs between very similar teams here. If Montana gets the No. 2 seed, I can't argue. And I don't think the SLC is "superior" to the Big Sky, I'm just pointing out that the Sagarins rate it higher this season, which reflects strength of schedule.

Similarly, I would not think it a travesty if SIU, UMass or App. were to get the No. 4 seed.

KiddBrewer
November 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM
The Great David Jackson's View on the ordeal at hand.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11300/

theres one interesting way of looking at it, biased, but informative none the less

Montana_Mojo
November 18th, 2007, 03:29 AM
#1 Northern Iowa
#2 Montana
#3 Southern Illinois (by virtue of a close, quality loss at No. Iowa and the NCAA's pitting them in the opposite bracket of No. Iowa)
#4 McNeese State

I think Appalachian State deserves consideration for a seeding, but with two losses and three undefeated teams in front of them, it won't happen. But they'll likely be put in a situation where they get a matchup with the weakest seeded team in the second round (McNeese).

TokyoGriz
November 18th, 2007, 03:31 AM
1 UNI
2 Montana
3 Mcneese
4 SIU

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 06:12 AM
SIU doesn't derserve a seed. You need to win your conference to be considered for a seed, SIU failed to win its own conference. Being the second best team in the Gateway Conference is okay but it doesn't make you a top 4 team in the playoffs. Sorry Salukis.

Montana_Mojo
November 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Who should get the seed instead? Appalachian State (2nd place in the SoCon)? Oh, wait, Umass should. They were a first place team, or so says the coin flip.

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Who should get the seed instead? Appalachian State (2nd place in the SoCon)? Oh, wait, Umass should. They were a first place team, or so says the coin flip.

APPALACHIAN STATE DID NOT FINISH SECOND IN THE SOCON...

THEY WON THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP!

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM
The Great David Jackson's View on the ordeal at hand.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11300/

theres one interesting way of looking at it, biased, but informative none the less

I love David Jackson and oh by the way happy 30th birthday yesterday but...

ASU the 3 seed? that is a little much IMO

back2back
November 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Question? How many times has a Gateway team beaten Appalachian State?

Houndawg
November 18th, 2007, 08:00 AM
SIU doesn't derserve a seed. You need to win your conference to be considered for a seed, SIU failed to win its own conference. Being the second best team in the Gateway Conference is okay but it doesn't make you a top 4 team in the playoffs. Sorry Salukis.

I'd expedct a little more love from a team that didn't have to play everyone in their conference and won on a coin flip. I hope you get the 4 seed, you'll love the UNI dome if you make it that far.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I'd expedct a little more love from a team that didn't have to play everyone in their conference and won on a coin flip. I hope you get the 4 seed, you'll love the UNI dome if you make it that far.

I have lots of love for my friends at SIU. Love the Salukis.

Fact is that the gateway has what 7 teams if you count 0-10 indiana state???

CAA has 12 teams. You don't play every team in your conference when your conference has 12 teams. When Gateway expands to 9 teams that is about the limit for a conference in which you play all teams.

I don't really care about the 4 seed but i think most people would agree that in order to capture a seed you ought to have at least been able to win your own conference. I think Richmond or App deserve a seed more than SIU does because App and Richmond are conference champions.

Massachusetts would be more than happy to play at the UNI dome for a chance to go to Chattanooga. Bring it on. xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
November 18th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I'm confused by those posters predicting UMass or Richmond as the seeds over SIU and ASU.

I've said this for two weeks, my head says SIU gets the fourth seed, but I won't be surprised if the committee elects ASU as the fourth seed.

I think ASU gets the 5th seed and draws JMU, which will probably be the toughest first round match-upxsmhx.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Are you confused that winning your conference should be a prerequisite to getting a seed? Are you confused that most folks think that the Selection Committee shouldn't hand the Gateway 2 seeds?

Saint3333
November 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Are you confused that winning your conference should be a prerequisite to getting a seed? Are you confused that most folks think that the Selection Committee shouldn't hand the Gateway 2 seeds?

You are confused between what "should" be a prereq in your opinion and what actually the requirement are. BTW ASU did win the SoCon. Also it looks like "most" of the people on hear agree that SIU should get the 4 seed.

Saint3333
November 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Question? How many times has a Gateway team beaten Appalachian State?

ASU is 6-1 vs. the Gateway.

Add the YSU win to this.

http://www.diaafootball.com/vc000280000033.html

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
You are confused between what "should" be a prereq in your opinion and what actually the requirement are. BTW ASU did win the SoCon. Also it looks like "most" of the people on hear agree that SIU should get the 4 seed.

You are more confused than I thought. I'm saying ASU or Richmond who are conference champions should get a seed over SIU which finished in second place in its own conference. Thats what I think. If you want to favor a second place conference finisher over a conference Champion then so be it. Its a free country. :D

asknoquarter21
November 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
it all depends on how important they commitee sees the strength of schedule

Appalachian has the 3rd hardest strength of schedule in the country then next closest in the top 25 is UNI at 19.

do you really think SIU could have had the season App did with that schedule

not only should app get a 4 they should be in strong consideration for the 3...

the 3rd ranked strength of schedule does NOT include michigan.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
App lost 2 FCS games however. So yes they had a tough schedule...and they lost 2 games just to prove how tough it was. Personally, I'd give Richmond (1 FCS loss) the 4 seed over App. but have no problem with App getting the 4 seed.

JohnStOnge
November 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
If McNeese doesn't get the 2 seed I'd prefer the 4 seed over the three. The reason is that I think that if McNeese isn't the two seed, Montana will be. UNI will be the one seed.

I think UNI has a better team than Montana. However, I would rather have a situation where weather conditions are not a factor. I think that it's very difficult for players who haven't experience playing conditions where the temperature is less than about 60 degrees during the season to play in the conditions that are likely to be prevalent at Missoula by the third week of the playoffs.

I also think Montana has by far the strongest home field advantage among FCS programs. I'll probably get the specific numbers later, but the difference between how Montana has historically done at home in the playoffs as compared how its done away is incredible. I know that some of it is because they've tended to have better teams when they've played at home. But if you compare how they've done home and away to how other historically great programs such as Youngstown State and Georgia Southern have done...you find that, while those other programs have better records at home, they still have winning records on the road (or at least close...don't know for sure about GSU after the past few years).

To me there's no reasonable doubt that playing Montana in Missoula and playing Montana either at your place or on a neutral site are two entirely different things.

Spider
November 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
After watching a crippled Villanova team manhandle the Hens, a lot of air just went out of Richmond's win over Delaware...
Our wins against JMU and UD were both on the road and it was JMU's homecoming and senior day at UD!

sharkeycox
November 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM

1. UNI
2. McNeese
3. Montana
4. SIU

xrulesx

sharkeycox
November 18th, 2007, 10:19 AM
#1 Northern Iowa
#2 Montana
#3 Southern Illinois (by virtue of a close, quality loss at No. Iowa and the NCAA's pitting them in the opposite bracket of No. Iowa)
#4 McNeese State

I think Appalachian State deserves consideration for a seeding, but with two losses and three undefeated teams in front of them, it won't happen. But they'll likely be put in a situation where they get a matchup with the weakest seeded team in the second round (McNeese).\

You got too much Mojo for me!!!
xsmiley_wix

McDABest
November 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM
#1 Northern Iowa
Enough said.

#2 McNeese State
Slightly better schedule and better against common opponents.
Note: I will not be surprised if Montana gets the #2 seed because Montana is still a very good team, and because of their attendance compared to ours. Money talks.

#3 Montana
If Montana doesn't get the #2 seed they will get the #3 seed no question. It can also go the other way around.

#4 SIU
If your only loss is to the best team in the nation, and you lose by about 6 points. (I don't remember the exact score, but I remember that it was close). On top of that, you could have won. You would normally beg for the #2 or #3 seed. Unfortunately for them, there are two other teams that are 11-0, and no matter what the schedule is like 11-0 is amazing.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
#1 Northern Iowa
Enough said.

#2 McNeese State
Slightly better schedule and better against common opponents.
Note: I will not be surprised if Montana gets the #2 seed because Montana is still a very good team, and because of their attendance compared to ours. Money talks.

#3 Montana
If Montana doesn't get the #2 seed they will get the #3 seed no question. It can also go the other way around.

#4 SIU
If your only loss is to the best team in the nation, and you lose by about 6 points. (I don't remember the exact score, but I remember that it was close). On top of that, you could have won. You would normally beg for the #2 or #3 seed. Unfortunately for them, there are two other teams that are 11-0, and no matter what the schedule is like 11-0 is amazing.

Agreed xthumbsupx