PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa

appstate38
November 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I have a question about the Panthers as to what exactly makes them the favorite??? Yes they are the number 1 team in the FCS which gets you alot of respect. But I guess my question really comes down to what makes them so good. Looking at their defense they are leading the Gateway in several catagories on defense and on the other side they are scoring over 35 a game. Are they considered the more complete team at this point or is there something else to add to the mix?

(disclaimer) Thread started with the intention of getting off the BSC vs SoCon battle and who deserves a seed verses who does not!xthumbsupx

Saluki_man
November 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
A fantastic running game, doesn't turn the ball over, very diciplined, and a very good run D. They control the line of scrimage very well. Can be passed upon with a good QB. The opposing team almost has to play a perfect game to beat these guys.

Purple For Life
November 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
A fantastic running game, doesn't turn the ball over, very diciplined, and a very good run D. They control the line of scrimage very well. Can be passed upon with a good QB. The opposing team almost has to play a perfect game to beat these guys.

Saluki man's right...also Eric Sanders has had some amazing completion percentages this year, and Johnny Gray will NOT be stopped if he wants that end zone bad enough!

appfan2008
November 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I will add that they have been there... 2 years ago in the title game... that counts for a lot

APPSTER
November 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I'm thinking they also have some players left over from their run to the NC in 2005 besides Eric Sanders.

Chi Panther
November 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking they also have some players left over from their run to the NC in 2005 besides Eric Sanders.

LT Chad Rinehart who will probably be drafted in the 3rd or 4th Round....
Johnny Gray, Corey Lewis, Brannon Carter would be hold overs that are quite talented......our 3rd team All-American Safety who started the Championship game was kicked off 2 weeks ago....

Sanders having 4 years starting experience....is hard to rattle....xthumbsupx

One thing about this team that UNI has not had before is a Solid Rush Defense. The D-line goes 8 deep and ever since the App State game.....Farley has strived for a D-line of Hunter and Murrell....and although they were REALLY good at Pass Rush......our guys are Really good a Stopping the Run.

james_lawfirm
November 16th, 2007, 03:21 PM
FWIW, UNI also has some fine fans. I had the pleasure of meeting some in Chatty in '05.

appstate38
November 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I was there in '05 as well, and they presented us with some major problems, especially against our Defense. Confirms most of what I had already thought about the Panthers.

Saint3333
November 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Statistically they are the best.

UNI ranking in relation to Playoff hopeful teams (how ASU measures up):

Total Offense - 6 (1*)
3rd down conversion % - 3 (7)
Pass Efficiency - 1 (6)
Total Defense - 1 (10)
3rd down defense - 2 (4)
Pass Efficiency Defense - 6 (8)
Turnover Margin - 3 (15)
Least Penalized Team - 4 (9)

UNI is in the top 6 in the catagories I believe to be the most important.

* - number one in the nation

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&site=org

bamamountaineer1013
November 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Whatever it is that makes them great, this team scares the bejeesus out of me, especially if we have to go play them in the dome. Let's not forget that they have revenge on their minds.

Mountain Panther
November 16th, 2007, 03:29 PM
When one of these RBs goes out of the game the other goes in.....neither one by himself is Omar Cuff, but many FBS teams wish they could have just one of these guys.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/623506.jpeghttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1364705.jpeg

Rob Iola
November 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Superior moral fibre.
Genetics.
Better looking women in the Cedar Falls region.
More articulate AGS posters.
Strength of schedule, especially wrt games against SOCon and CAA opponents.

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Statistically they are the best.

UNI ranking in relation to Playoff hopeful teams (how ASU measures up):

Total Offense - 6 (1*)
3rd down conversion % - 3 (7)
Pass Efficiency - 1 (6)
Total Defense - 1 (10)
3rd down defense - 2 (4)
Pass Efficiency Defense - 6 (8)
Turnover Margin - 3 (15)
Least Penalized Team - 4 (9)

UNI is in the top 6 in the catagories I believe to be the most important.

* - number one in the nation

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&site=org

This link will take you straight to their page on that website.

UNI (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/ranking_summary/2007000000504.HTML)

igo4uni
November 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/090807mp_uni_isu_fb_9.jpg

They are really good singers. Really can hit the high notes well.

Purple For Life
November 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Superior moral fibre.
Genetics.
Better looking women in the Cedar Falls region.
More articulate AGS posters.
Strength of schedule, especially wrt games against SOCon and CAA opponents.

You got that right! xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
UNI's run D is what impressed me the most.

Purple For Life
November 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
UNI's run D is what impressed me the most.
Good point! Look at what we did to Missouri State in the second half of that game...we whooped some Bear @$$!

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Good point! Look at what we did to Missouri State in the second half of that game...we whooped some Bear @$$!

Giving up less than a hundred yards a game rushing is impressive in any league. It's amazing in the Gateway.

appfan2008
November 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Giving up less than a hundred yards a game rushing is impressive in any league. It's amazing in the Gateway.

it would be more impressive in the socon where teams like wofford and gsu rush for more than 300 a game

Petrie Dish
November 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
it would be more impressive in the socon where teams like wofford and gsu rush for more than 300 a game

They wouldn't run for 300 yds. if the SOCON played defense.;)

Rob Iola
November 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Dunno 'bout GSU, but I can tell you that Wofford plays as stiff a defense as any you'll see at any level.

ASUG8
November 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Here we go again.......

I'll be glad to get the games under way - all this talk is simply a bunch of wishful thinking (self included). Somebody's right - hell, it may be the 16 seed that's not talking trash.

Petrie Dish
November 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
My comment was meant to be a joke (see the ;) ). I didn't read that other thread before I posted in this one. If I had, I wouldn't have posted anything. I really have no idea how good the SOCON defenses are.

igo4uni
November 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
My comment was meant to be a joke (see the ;) ). I didn't read that other thread before I posted in this one. If I had, I wouldn't have posted anything. I really have no idea how good the SOCON defenses are.

You're not a former UNI player, are you??

just curious.

Petrie Dish
November 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM

just curious.

Nope, he was just one of my favorites.

ASUG8
November 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Neither do we.....xconfusedx

igo4uni
November 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Nope, he was just one of my favorites.

cool!!!!!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Cap'n Cat
November 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Closed circuit to UNI posters: The season starts anew after Thanksgiving and everyone's a contender. If we have the lead with 1 minute to go at Chatty and we're up by 21, then we can celebrate.

For now, keep it down. One game at a time.

xcoffeex

igo4uni
November 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Closed circuit to UNI posters: The season starts anew after Thanksgiving and everyone's a contender. If we have the lead with 1 minute to go at Chatty and we're up by 21, then we can celebrate.

xcoffeex

ok.

BearsCountry
November 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Lets Go Panthers! Lets Go Ugly Dawgs! And I know feel really dirty about saying that.

Petrie Dish
November 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM

xcoffeex

http://www.3wishes.com/images/comesailaway.jpg
Aye Aye, Cap'n.

igo4uni
November 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Aye Aye, Cap'n.

I'd hit it.

Purple For Life
November 16th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Aye Aye, Cap'n.

xhurrayx xhurrayx

I'll salute that! xthumbsupx

JayJ79
November 16th, 2007, 11:52 PM

just curious.

Neither am I, I just have the same name as one.
(not that anyone really ever confuses me for an actual football player. haha)

Mountain Panther
November 17th, 2007, 12:13 AM

xcoffeex

A UNI fan didn't start this thread, Cap. We're just defendin' the honor of the purple and old gold.

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2007, 12:22 AM
ha maybe they are the favorites......but thats what is so beautiful about FCS.....the 16 teams that make it in all have the ability on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY to beat any team out there....come on DEC 18TH

ASUdrummer
November 17th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Dec. 18th is the Tuesday after the National Championship...what's the significance in that exactly???

JayJ79
November 17th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Dec. 18th is the Tuesday after the National Championship...what's the significance in that exactly???

that's when we're having the parade....
j/k ;op

GreatAppSt
November 17th, 2007, 01:48 AM

xcoffeex

You really want that first one badly, don't ya Cappy?xnodx

Pantherpower
November 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM
You really want that first one badly, don't ya Cappy?xnodx

I feel the same way as Cap'n. One game at a time. Long ways to go, or as AC/DC would say, "It's a long way to the top if you wanna Rock n Roll!"

Reed Rothchild
November 17th, 2007, 09:05 AM
One thing about this team that UNI has not had before is a Solid Rush Defense. The D-line goes 8 deep and ever since the App State game.....Farley has strived for a D-line of Hunter and Murrell....and although they were REALLY good at Pass Rush......our guys are Really good a Stopping the Run.

Yes, we finally have a championship level defense. The best one we've had EVER. Thats been the biggest difference this year. The offense has always been able to score points but getting stops has been a challenge.