PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Sixteen Survivors <---CSN Prediction & Bracket

CSN-info
November 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
The CSN Way: Sixteen Survivors
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

Other college sports can talk about “sweet sixteens” and going to “dances,” but in NCAA football it’s different. You survive to get into the playoffs, and if your team gets by the Tribal Council (e.g. the playoff selection committee), you’re definitely a survivor. Who will be one of the sixteen survivors at the end of the FCS regular season? And who will be the teams that excelled at the challenges facing them to get the four coveted seeds to guarantee home playoff games?

READ MORE...
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89057

The "CSN Five" make their prediction and bracket...
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writers/burton/2007/csnfive.jpg

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writers/burton/2007/bracket2.jpg

CSN-info
November 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM
of course we couldn't find the crystal ball.......... ;)

umassfan
November 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Im sorry but UMass will not get sent on the road to App when the distance between UMass and Fordham is just a bus trip. JMU will get sent to App.

danefan
November 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
A good read and well thought out article.
I agree with the bracket, if the predictions for this weekend come true, with the exception of the UMass at App thing.

What happens if those teams don't win is the question!

xthumbsupx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xthumbsupx

BTW, I love that he called Iona the "2008 PFL Champions" xlolx xlolx

Saluki_man
November 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I agree, except switch EIU and EKU within the bracket. The committee will not pass up a chance to save money by giving EIU a three hour bus trip to Carbondale (159 miles).

Go...gate
November 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Good selections....xthumbsupx

Ronbo
November 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Chuck,

The Griz were 15-0 in 1996 going into the NC with Marshall. So our last undefeated regular season was 1996.

Runningback Lex Hilliard and defensive end Kroy Biermann definitely have a say for the Griz, though, as head coach Bobby Hauck is seeking Montana’s first undefeated regular season since 1970

Why did you send the #1 Socon to the #1 Big Sky? Reason?

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Im sorry but UMass will not get sent on the road to App when the distance between UMass and Fordham is just a bus trip. JMU will get sent to App.

Ditto..

MaroonMafia
November 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Edit: I took too long to reply and didn't see that Ronbo already pointed that out (but we were 14-0 going into the championship, not 15-0).

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Why did you send the #1 Socon to the #1 Big Sky? Reason?Didn't a SoCon team go to the Big Sky in the first round last year? BTW, Wofford will be co-champs if ASU wins tomorrow. Which do you want? :D

DetroitFlyer
November 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM
A good read and well thought out article.
I agree with the bracket, if the predictions for this weekend come true, with the exception of the UMass at App thing.

What happens if those teams don't win is the question!

xthumbsupx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xthumbsupx

BTW, I love that he called Iona the "2008 PFL Champions" xlolx xlolx

Just wait till Sunday morning.... I just have a feeling that Dayton gets in this year....

As for Iona being the 2008 PFL Champion? Maybe not all that far fetched. Both Josh Johnson and Kevin Hoyng leave this year, so the race could be wide open!

AZGrizFan
November 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Didn't a SoCon team go to the Big Sky in the first round last year? BTW, Wofford will be co-champs if ASU wins tomorrow. Which do you want? :D

It won't matter. We'll beat either one of em like a rented mule and send em back to the South with their tails between their legs... xnodx xnodx

grizband
November 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Didn't a SoCon team go to the Big Sky in the first round last year? BTW, Wofford will be co-champs if ASU wins tomorrow. Which do you want? :D
Last year, a Southland team (McNeese State) came to Missoula in the first round.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Last year, a Southland team (McNeese State) came to Missoula in the first round.Oh yeah, Furman went to Bozeman. No SLC team in the first round coming this year Big Sky. xrulesx

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
It won't matter. We'll beat either one of em like a rented mule and send em back to the South with their tails between their legs... xnodx xnodxIf this bracket is right you might get both. xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
One thing I'm noticing about this bracket:

1) What a great quality of 16 teams, with no fewer than three potential "instant classics" no matter how you shuffle them: ASU, Delaware, JMU, Georgia Southern... Winners of eight of the last ten national championships would be in the bracket! (Only WKU and Youngstown State would be missing.)

2) As good as the first round matchups could be, the second round matchups could be even better... Montana/ASU, Montana/UMass, SIU/Delaware, UNI/Richmond...

3) This could be the deepest, best playoff class ever, especially if Georgia Southern manages to win this weekend.

putter
November 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Surprised that he still thinks Montana will get a #3 seed if they lose to the Cats.

CharlestonAppFan
November 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Lehigh Football Nation;743989]One thing I'm noticing about this bracket:

1) What a great quality of 16 teams, with no fewer than three potential "instant classics" no matter how you shuffle them: ASU, Delaware, JMU, Georgia Southern... Winners of eight of the last ten national championships would be in the bracket! (Only WKU and Youngstown State would be missing.)

2) As good as the first round matchups could be, the second round matchups could be even better... Montana/ASU, Montana/UMass, SIU/Delaware, UNI/Richmond...

[B]3) This could be the deepest, best playoff class ever, especially if Georgia Southern manages to win this weekend.[B]QUOTE]

I agree with you Lehigh, but to a certain point. I've got to believe that one or a few of these teams aren't as good as their resume suggests xeyebrowx . I remember the 05 playoffs when we played Lafayette (I think) in the first round and they gave us a tough game; then we played SIU, but we won without as much trouble as we did against Lafayette. Then last year, Montana State and Youngstown were said to be very competitive (and they were don't get me wrong) but we didn't have too much trouble against them either.

Someone is going to be exposed at some point....We'll see how each stacks up on the field. Here's hoping though, that we have all games that come down to the last few seconds xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
November 16th, 2007, 04:01 PM
It won't matter. We'll beat either one of em like a rented mule and send em back to the South with their tails between their legs... xnodx xnodx

If and when ASU goes to Montana this year, if we score less than 60 points, i'll be shocked.

You might even score a few points on our defense too.

ASU 62
Montana 2

james_lawfirm
November 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM

That's cause they found the hookah.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Surprised that he still thinks Montana will get a #3 seed if they lose to the Cats.Me too. That's why it's called CHUCKLES!

griz37
November 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM
If and when ASU goes to Montana this year, if we score less than 60 points, i'll be shocked.

ASU 62
Montana 2

ASU is going to score 60 on the Montana defense? xbowx I don't think I have heard anything funnier in months. Good to see the App. fans have moved onto the spiked Kool-Aid.

AZGrizFan
November 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM

ASU 62
Montana 2

I'll have what he's having. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
That bracket just looks too logical. It's hard to imagine the NCAA going for it.
:D

putter
November 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Oh, come on guys. We all know that our weak conference has left us vulnerable to teams with actual talent! xnodx We Griz fans need to stop living in our fantasy world......xeekx xsmiley_wix

HensRock
November 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Why would UMass be travelling to ASU while Fordham travels to Richmond (VA)?

That just doesn't make sense right there.

bamamountaineer1013
November 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM

ASU 62
Montana 2

Um...wow. I know that you have to have faith in your team and all, and I do, but heed the over confidence lest you be eating crow.

appfan2008
November 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Umass wont play ASU in the first round... a rematch of the title game from last year wont happen in the first round

wocorebel
November 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't foresee Montana getting past Wofford. I think the committee is banking on this because they want to see an App/Wofford rematch. That is why they are going to make Wofford go so far and not give them a home game which they arguably deserve.

th0m
November 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM
How do you deserve a home game? Other than bidding enough money for it...

wocorebel
November 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I am sorry, but I will take the SOCON champ possibly co-champ for a home game any day of the week. The SOCON champ should get an automatic home game as should the CAA champ, atleast this year being that they are the toughest conference. The SOCON is the hardest because everyone plays everyone. Some CAA teams get away without playing some of the more difficult teams.

McTailGator
November 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM

iT'S RIGHT UNDER THE ROADSIDE BOMB. xlolx

TokyoGriz
November 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM

ASU 62
Montana 2

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ok that was funny!

I almost fell out of my chair!

I doubt you could score over 30, and APP would still lose by 3-7 points to Montana.

Anyways,

1 UNI
2 Montana
3 Mcneese
4 SIU

These were my picks also for post season seeds.

Cincy App
November 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
These brackets have only 3 bus trips - none in the lower half of the bracket. I would expect 5 bus trips in the first round. There will certainly be more than three. Try again.

HaveFunKc
November 16th, 2007, 10:15 PM

"Here's your sign..." Bill Engvall xlolx xlolx xlolx

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM
These brackets have only 3 bus trips - none in the lower half of the bracket. I would expect 5 bus trips in the first round. There will certainly be more than three. Try again.Try and get five bus trips out of eight games in that group. Bare minimum of two flights with Montana and McNeese as seeds. Then with UNI and SIU as seeds you have EIU and EKU (bus EIU to SIU then EKU to UNI is a flight). Then you have all those CAA and SoCon teams. xoopsx

Cincy App
November 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Try and get five bus trips out of eight games in that group. Bare minimum of two flights with Montana and McNeese as seeds. Then with UNI and SIU as seeds you have EIU and EKU (bus EIU to SIU then EKU to UNI is a flight). Then you have all those CAA and SoCon teams. xoopsx

As I have looked back at past brackets, there seems to be a high priority on setting up bus-trip games. Last year, both the JMU-Youngstown and ASU-Coastal games were just under the 350 mile limit which qualified for ground transportation.

Using the CSN field, I would match up Delaware-Delaware St (as he has) plus have SIU-EIU, ASU-JMU, UMass (or Richmond)-Fordham, and EKU-Wofford. Hence, five road trips.

The bad news in my setup is that either Richmond or UMass would be flying off to a seed. I also don't like EIU and SIU playing each other in the first round again.

The Playoff Selection Committee will not be able to get more than 5 bus trips given that McNeese, Montana, and UNI will all have teams flown into their town.

Saluki_man
November 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I also don't like EIU and SIU playing each other in the first round again.

SIU and EIU didn't match up in last years playoffs. The game was SIU-UTM in the first round. They did however match up two years ago in Charleston.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
xcoffeex I love how he has Eastern picked in his bracket, yet predicts a Weber State upset... which is it huh? xnonox

Eastern will not lose today. Period. xrulesx