PDA

View Full Version : Seeding schmeeding

GrizzlyBill
November 15th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Seeding is of real importance only to home fans (homers) who want to more easily attend the game as cheaply as possible. Oh, and home field advantage--how could I have forgotten that?!

I am curious (you stats freaks) about what percentage of national FCS (previously known as I-AA) champs have been seeded 1 or 2? Anyway, every champ still has to beat 4 other playoff caliber teams in a row—three of whom have just beaten other playoff teams, and ONE of whom has just beaten THREE other playoff teams in successive weeks.

Some teams (or just some fans) may be happy enough to simply have made the playoffs, and don't really expect to advance. But, I bet that 100 percent of teams who do become national champs go into EVERY game expecting to win. Therefore, the order in which opponents are met (seeding) must be irrelevant beyond determining home field advantage, dispensing reward in the form of home games to loyal fans, Oh, and maximizing gate receipts.

Home field advantage, as the main prize for getting a top seed, is the greatest perk of regular season success, along with a nice boon to local business; but a national championship is still a helluva ways off right now. Today the Griz can still be the 2007 champions, as of course can at least 15 other teams, regardless of seeding. It's great to be an FCS fan!

Syntax Error
November 15th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Seeding means homefield advantage guaranteed until the semis if you win. Last year, for instance, all four seeds made it to the semis. The higher seed hosted those games. So, you're right and wrong. Seeding is the "greatest perk of regular season success" but it is not "of real importance only to home fans," it is of importance to the home team as well.

BTW, that was a weird post GB. :) You seemed to change your mind half way through. xlolx

PurpleandGold
November 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Being seeded is a nice perk, but the NC can and most certainly has been won in four straight road games!

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Being seeded is a nice perk, but the NC can and most certainly has been won in four straight road games!
It has happened, but most folks still like getting home games. It does normally give you an edge. Just look at the home records of some of the teams who will be in the playoffs.

Montana 7-0
UMass 5-0
SIU 5-0
McNeese 5-0
UNI 4-0
EKU 4-0
Delaware State 4-0
Richmond 4-0

Most of the 4-0 teams still have a home game left.

AlphaSigMD
November 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Seeding is of real importance only to home fans (homers) who want to more easily attend the game as cheaply as possible. Oh, and home field advantage--how could I have forgotten that?!

I am curious (you stats freaks) about what percentage of national FCS (previously known as I-AA) champs have been seeded 1 or 2? Anyway, every champ still has to beat 4 other playoff caliber teams in a row—three of whom have just beaten other playoff teams, and ONE of whom has just beaten THREE other playoff teams in successive weeks.

Some teams (or just some fans) may be happy enough to simply have made the playoffs, and don't really expect to advance. But, I bet that 100 percent of teams who do become national champs go into EVERY game expecting to win. Therefore, the order in which opponents are met (seeding) must be irrelevant beyond determining home field advantage, dispensing reward in the form of home games to loyal fans, Oh, and maximizing gate receipts.

Home field advantage, as the main prize for getting a top seed, is the greatest perk of regular season success, along with a nice boon to local business; but a national championship is still a helluva ways off right now. Today the Griz can still be the 2007 champions, as of course can at least 15 other teams, regardless of seeding. It's great to be an FCS fan!

Keep in mind though, its always tough winning a playoff game on the road in a hostile environment.

ASU's won a couple games on the road I believe at EKU and Troy St, maybe one or two others, but they are still tough to come by. Montana's never won a playoff game on the road unless it was the neutral national championship.

Maybe 89Hen can put together a list of teams who've won on the road in the past 7 years. I'm sure it would be fairly slim.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Keep in mind though, its always tough winning a playoff game on the road in a hostile environment.

ASU's won a couple games on the road I believe at EKU and Troy St, maybe one or two others, but they are still tough to come by. Montana's never won a playoff game on the road unless it was the neutral national championship.

Maybe 89Hen can put together a list of teams who've won on the road in the past 7 years. I'm sure it would be fairly slim.

JMU@ Lehigh-2004
JMU@Furman-2004
JMU@W&M-2004

xsmiley_wix

FCS Preview
November 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Only two teams have won the NC without having a home game:

2004, James Madison (as noted above)
1978, Florida A&M (when only 4 teams made the playoff. There was a first round and a championship).

First Round (12/9):
Florida A&M 15, Jackson St. 10 (@Jackson, Miss.)
Massachusetts 44, Nevada 21 (@ Reno, Nev.)

Championship (12/16):
Florida A&M 35, Massachusetts 28 (Wichita Falls, Tex.)

UMass won in 1998 with two of their three games on the road (before the neutral-site Championship)

GrizzlyBill
November 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
BTW, that was a weird post GB. :) You seemed to change your mind half way through. xlolx

Home field is a definite statistical plus (how much really?), but it does not mean clear sailing to Chattanooga. I very well do recall the Dukes in 2004. I think there are other examples also.

I think it would be good for the Griz to prove their capability as road warriors. If we lack that capability, then we will have something else on which to improve next year. Anyway, it is an especially grand season this year with so many teams with primo resumes going into the playoffs. There may be 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs that are better than this Griz team. But, as some wise posters on here have said: that's why we play the games.

If we lose to the Bobcats tomorrow, we may get to see how well we can do on the road!