PDA

View Full Version : Who do you not want to see your team face in the playoffs?

ERASU2113
November 15th, 2007, 08:52 PM
This can either be them coming to your school, having to travel, or meeting in Chatty.

I'd hate to see UNI.....prefer to face them in Chatty if we have to.

appfan2008
November 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
As an app fan I would like to see eku come down here and not some of the others being talked about like richmond or jmu

Pattycakes
November 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
as a griz fan i would like to see us meet up with app in chatty

McNeese_beat
November 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Feed back I've gotten from McNeese fans is no EWU...not because they are scared of EWU, but they know the Big Sky teams always come better than advertised.

JayJ79
November 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Facing Southern Illinois a second time scares me.

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Umass would come in knowing they're capable of beating us in our house. I'd like to avoid them if possible. :)

DaGriz
November 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Feed back I've gotten from McNeese fans is no EWU...not because they are scared of EWU, but they know the Big Sky teams always come better than advertised.

I think if EWU gets in they are going to have the best shot at knocking off a top ranked team who ever they play. As much as I would like to see two Big Sky teams get in, if they are on our side of the bracket, I would prefer to see them not make it. They are way better than a 16 seed, that's for sure.

McNeese_beat
November 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I think if EWU gets in they are going to have the best shot at knocking off a top ranked team who ever they play. As much as I would like to see two Big Sky teams get in, if they are on our side of the bracket, I would prefer to see them not make it. They are way better than a 16 seed, that's for sure.

Not to xdeadhorsex but...

That's why regionalization sucks. I'm sure McNeese and Montana would love to have a an OVC, a Patriot or a MEAC in the first round (no disrespect to Fordham, EKU or Delaware State, but the record speaks for itself).

crunifan
November 15th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I second that notion. I would not want to face SIU again. I think we are the better team, but it is SO hard to be a team twice in one season.

SeattleGriz
November 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Any team with a strong power running game - seems to have been a Griz downfall.

Even if they don't score, they keep the ball so long, it is hard for the offense to get in sync.

Grizaholic17
November 15th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Umass would come in knowing they're capable of beating us in our house. I'd like to avoid them if possible. :)

I bet they say the same about us though. They just nearly escaped. I would hate to see nds....oh wait, scratch that, I'll say Wofford or EWU.

AZGrizFan
November 16th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Even if they don't score, they keep the ball so long, it is hard for the offense to get in sync.

I second that.

And I don't want to face a team with a strong passing game either. :D

Houndawg
November 16th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I'd be leery of EWU, they've caught us napping before.

FGColonel
November 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM
As an app fan I would like to see eku come down here and not some of the others being talked about like richmond or jmu

If we can't play at home we would be more than happy to come to Boone. EKU is on a seven game winning streak and have averaged nearly 40 ppg during this run. The average win is a bit more than 17 points.

CamelCityAppFan
November 16th, 2007, 07:24 AM
On the road, I'd prefer not to see a UNI or a Griz until Chatty (App-Griz final is what I want to see).

At home, I really like our chances against anyone in the field likely to come to KBS. Team seems to be peaking at the right time, offense is absolutely rolling, and defense has tighten up just enough to stay ahead.

appstate38
November 16th, 2007, 07:27 AM

So I guess that means that would have to include Delaware and Richmond. If GSU gets in then I would have to throw them in the mix as well.

Cobblestone
November 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM
If we ever get to the playoffs.... ANYBODY! It's been a 22 year drought. xsmhx

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
DELAWARE STATE............AN' KEEP DUH CONTROVERSY...GOIN'....xrotatehx..AWQ!

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2007, 08:06 AM

That's why regionalization sucks. I'm sure McNeese and Montana would love to have a an OVC, a Patriot or a MEAC in the first round (no disrespect to Fordham, EKU or Delaware State, but the record speaks for itself).

you can thank Hampton for that...way to represent Pirates xthumbsupx xnonono2x

skinny_uncle
I second that notion. I would not want to face SIU again. I think we are the better team, but it is SO hard to be a team twice in one season.

.............and down deep, you know it is going to happen.
xnodx

DSUrocks07
DELAWARE STATE............AN' KEEP DUH CONTROVERSY...GOIN'....xrotatehx..AWQ!

we need to redo our logo xrotatehx

Maroons
November 16th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I don't want to see the Colonels play North Dakota State... good thing it's not a possibility.

bamamountaineer1013
November 16th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I don't want to see UNI until we absolutely have to, which I am hoping is in Chatty. xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I'd like to see EWU play App, I think it might put things in perspective :D

LehighFan11
November 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM

If McNeese or Montana were to get paired with Fordham, and they came in all cocky thinking Fordham would be scared and just bend over, McNeese or Montana would have one of their worst losses in school history at the end of 60 minutes

Saint3333
November 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Just like Montana State did last year?xconfusedx

ASU matches up much better with a pass first team like EWU. EWU's defense is also suspect. There are other teams I'd rather play than EWU at home in the playoffs, but not many, maybe 2 or 3 of the potential playoff field.

APPride
November 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM

ditto...

Barnstormer
November 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM
SIU for sure... Keep them on the other side of the bracket.

OL FU
November 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Really sucks not being involved in these threadsxrolleyesx xbawlingx

Thunderstruck84
November 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Yale or Grambling xprayx

griz37
November 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I don't want to see SIU or Umass in the 1st round.

Houndawg
November 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM
SIU for sure... Keep them on the other side of the bracket.

Word. Give that 4 seed to ASU. Running QB's have hurt us and I'd like to see UNI in the Noog just after they've had a barn burner with ASU.

McNeese_beat
November 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
you can thank Hampton for that...way to represent Pirates xthumbsupx xnonono2x

I hate to sound like I'm picking on your conference, because I don't mean too. I have all the respect in the world for all the autobid leagues, really.

It's just that it's tough when every time you finish second in your conference, you can count on a trip to Missoula, well, that gets a little old. And those obscure BSC teams that come here are pretty dang good for first-round opponents.

I don't think a lot of people on this board have any idea of the talent level in the Big Sky. NAU came to Lake Charles in 2003 with a loaded team. Murietta was outstanding. Clarence Moore is an NFL receiver. They were physical and fast.
The west coast is so full of talent, but without a lot of schools for that talent to go to. I think it's a matter of time before the right coach finds the right situation somewhere at a California, Oregon, Washington or Arizona FCS and a true powerhouse will be born. It'll be a coach who believes in getting high school recruits into the program and developing them and is good enough of a recruiter to get high-level prep recruits into the program instead of the prospects going the juco route in hopes of getting a Pac-10 offer in two years.

The problem these schools have from where I sit is they sometimes lack the continuity and chemistry that some of the powers from around the country have. A lot of good Big Sky teams have a lot of JUCO and FBS transfers. McNeese, on the other hand, does not have a single starter on either side of the ball who is not in at least his third year in the program (including sophomore starters who are redshirt sophomores). Even the transfers made the move early in their I-A careers and have developed at McNeese.

McNeese does take transfers and I wouldn't be shocked to see immediate help in some areas next year (running back for one). But, in general, McNeese wants to develop its players.

I think that's why you see some Big Sky teams that aren't Montana struggling to get over the hump and become consistent like some of the other national powers. Too much turnover on the roster to get the chemistry. I hate to make that blanket statement, but teams I've seen from out there over the years generally have a lot more transfers than teams down here and especially McNeese.

But don't think for a minute that the fact that BSC programs not called Montana have had trouble maintaining consistent success is for a lack of talent...I'd put the NAU team's talent in 2003 and Montana State's talent from 2002 up against most teams from other power conferences McNeese has played in the playoffs, including UMass in 98, Maine in 2001 and even Georgia Southern in 2000. But I don't think NAU and Montana State ever had the chemistry to give championship-level effort week-in, week-out.

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I hate to sound like I'm picking on your conference, because I don't mean too. I have all the respect in the world for all the autobid leagues, really.

It's just that it's tough when every time you finish second in your conference, you can count on a trip to Missoula, well, that gets a little old. And those obscure BSC teams that come here are pretty dang good for first-round opponents.

I don't think a lot of people on this board have any idea of the talent level in the Big Sky. NAU came to Lake Charles in 2003 with a loaded team. Murietta was outstanding. Clarence Moore is an NFL receiver. They were physical and fast.
The west coast is so full of talent, but without a lot of schools for that talent to go to. I think it's a matter of time before the right coach finds the right situation somewhere at a California, Oregon, Washington or Arizona FCS and a true powerhouse will be born. It'll be a coach who believes in getting high school recruits into the program and developing them and is good enough of a recruiter to get high-level prep recruits into the program instead of the prospects going the juco route in hopes of getting a Pac-10 offer in two years.

The problem these schools have from where I sit is they sometimes lack the continuity and chemistry that some of the powers from around the country have. A lot of good Big Sky teams have a lot of JUCO and FBS transfers. McNeese, on the other hand, does not have a single starter on either side of the ball who is not in at least his third year in the program (including sophomore starters who are redshirt sophomores). Even the transfers made the move early in their I-A careers and have developed at McNeese.

McNeese does take transfers and I wouldn't be shocked to see immediate help in some areas next year (running back for one). But, in general, McNeese wants to develop its players.

I think that's why you see some Big Sky teams that aren't Montana struggling to get over the hump and become consistent like some of the other national powers. Too much turnover on the roster to get the chemistry. I hate to make that blanket statement, but teams I've seen from out there over the years generally have a lot more transfers than teams down here and especially McNeese.

But don't think for a minute that the fact that BSC programs not called Montana have had trouble maintaining consistent success is for a lack of talent...I'd put the NAU team's talent in 2003 and Montana State's talent from 2002 up against most teams from other power conferences McNeese has played in the playoffs, including UMass in 98, Maine in 2001 and even Georgia Southern in 2000. But I don't think NAU and Montana State ever had the chemistry to give championship-level effort week-in, week-out.

I agree with you, its all about consistency. And thats the hardest thing to do at the FCS level. Its not much of a stretch that the more successful FCS programs, (App St, Ga. Southern, McNeese, Delaware) could be just as successful at the FBS level. And thats because they are viewed as perennial powers in they're respective conferences. Hopefully DSU can get up to that level one day, but its difficult because of our conference affiliation and the stigma that comes along with it.

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Yale or Grambling xprayx

Make sure you can avoid Southern too... xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx those Jags would be a tough matchup for the Bison xsmiley_wix

McNeese_beat
November 16th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I agree with you, its all about consistency. And thats the hardest thing to do at the FCS level. Its not much of a stretch that the more successful FCS programs, (App St, Ga. Southern, McNeese, Delaware) could be just as successful at the FBS level. And thats because they are viewed as perennial powers in they're respective conferences. Hopefully DSU can get up to that level one day, but its difficult because of our conference affiliation and the stigma that comes along with it.

Exactly. I'd say it' harder to get there than to stay there, although staying there ain't exactly a cake walk. It's one thing to show people your past with some pride, but to show them you are committed to continuing the success of the past, you have to constantly improve and upgrade, otherwise you are accused of living in the past...

It's a never-ending cycle.

89Hen
November 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I'm sure McNeese and Montana would love to have a an OVC, a Patriot or a MEAC in the first round (no disrespect to Fordham, EKU or Delaware State, but the record speaks for itself).
Perhaps the OVC's and MEAC's records wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have to face CAA's and Gateway's every year. xeyebrowx

89Hen
November 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Montana unless it's the finals because it would be in Missoula.

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Perhaps the OVC's and MEAC's records wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have to face CAA's and Gateway's every year. xeyebrowx

http://cfs3.tistory.com/upload_control/download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzQ3NjA3QGZzMy50aXN0b3J5 LmNvbTovYXR0YWNoLzUvNTQwLmpwZw==

tdoggs22
November 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
as a wofford grad. from Kentucky, i would love to see the terriers play EKU on Thanksgiving weekend so i can stay closer to home an extra day.

As for "no thank you's"..... those go to Delaware and Mcneese. Played against Delaware before and saw Mcneese play. Solid teams that have me doubting.

Saluki_man
November 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'd really don't want to see ASU or UNI untill the final, but I have a feeling will probably see one of those teams before 'Noga.

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
we need to redo our logo xrotatehx

put dis bad boy....on yer melon buckets...........xnodx....brawk!

Eaglesrus
November 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Doesn't matter, just want to get in!

APPSTER
November 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Doesn't matter, just want to get in!

I'm rooting for you guys to knock off Colorado State this weekend and make the playoffs, but I don't want any part of Jayson Foster. xeekx Maybe he'll miss the flight back to Statesboro.xthumbsupx

appstate38
November 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm rooting for you guys to knock off Colorado State this weekend and make the playoffs, but I don't want any part of Jayson Foster. xeekx Maybe he'll miss the flight back to Statesboro.xthumbsupx

AMEN!xbowx

Eaglesrus
November 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Wouldn't matter; he could run back and beat the rest of the team to Statesboro :)

skinny_uncle
November 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'd be leery of EWU, they've caught us napping before.

I don't think napping is allowed any more. GSU worries me for some reason. Don't ask why.

appfan2008
November 16th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I don't think napping is allowed any more. GSU worries me for some reason. Don't ask why.

I know why you worry... BC of someone named FOSTER... he can beat any team by himself

Intrepid
November 16th, 2007, 06:34 PM
DSU facing Richmond in Virginia? nah, that's not cool...

igo4uni
November 16th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I don't want to see SIU.

ASUG8
November 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Wouldn't matter; he could run back and beat the rest of the team to Statesboro :)

What are you talking about? He'll be directing the plane onto the tarmac, then piloting it back to Statesboro. This only after he spent the day snapping the ball to himself, handing off to himself, passing and receiving his own passes, and generally walking all over that other Colorado school. Good luck GSU - here's one App hoping to see you guys in the playoffs, because you deserve it. xthumbsupx

Mn_Moose
November 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'd really don't want to see ASU or UNI untill the final, but I have a feeling will probably see one of those teams before 'Noga.
Really??? Surprises me. I don't want to see UNI face SIU again until maybe Chaty. SIU is a long tradition of toughness.
I don't like any team facing someone they have already played this year.

Cap'n Cat
November 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Jesus, all you UNI puzzies afraid of SIU...WTF?

Beginning to feel the same as the other anti-regionalization folks in this thread. Wish we could mix everything up. I don't want to see EWU again, but not because I fear them, rather, because it's a been there, done that thing to me. They're 0-3 in Cedar Falls. Give me a CAA or SoCon team in the Dome.

Been looking for a home Delaware rematch for years. Would love to have AppSU at the Dome. We lost to Georgia Southern my senior year - would love to have them back, mostly to see the Red Flaggers tailgating with us, win or lose.

:)

McNeese_beat
November 17th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Uhm yeah, so you imply that the CAA and Gateway are that clearly superior to the Southland and Big Sky. That's why since 1997 the Southland is 6-6 against the Gateway and the CAA in the playoffs (4-3 against the CAA and 2-3 against the Gateway) and the Big Sky is 6-8 against those two leagues (3-4 against both).

Stats show that the Southland and Big Sky could probably expect the same, or at least very similar, results against those conferences that the CAA and Gateway get.

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2007, 12:21 AM
i dont want to face georgia southern, end of story.

Pantherpower
November 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM
The reason I wouldn't wan't UNI to face SIU is not out of fear, but rather a "been there, done that." I'd think SIU would feel the same way.

What appeals to me about the playoffs is the opportunity to face OOC teams that rarely if ever in some cases presents itself in the regular season.

mountaineertider
November 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I don't want ASU to play UNI or UD, it'd be real nice if they'd lose before we had to play either team. I think they would score about a bajillion points on our defense.