PDA

View Full Version : If DSU were to change conferences...

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Which one should they look to join? With all the talk a couple years ago of DSU moving up to FBS /1-A it makes sense to first start by moving up to a more competitive conference, no offense to the MEAC. Regionally speaking I narrowed it down to a few in particular:

CAA
Big South
Pinoeer
MAAC
Patriot
NEC

Personally I feel that the most sensible ones would be the CAA, NEC, and the Big South. And if we joined the CAA then that UD/DSU matchup would happen every year xrotatehx . The A10 makes the most sense overall but it doesn't offer football :(

What do you think?

IaaScribe
November 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
CAA - not happening
Pioneer - non-scholarship
NEC - limited scholarship
Big South - will take anyone with a pulse and a football field
MAAC - about to not exist
Patriot - hah!

So you really have one choice.

DSUHornet
November 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
i've been wanting to ask this question for a while now, dont ask why i refrained from it.

personally, i would love for us to go up to the CAA (for obvious reasons) but if/when this does happen, i see us in the big south or NEC.

DSUHornet
November 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
CAA - not happening
Pioneer - non-scholarship
NEC - limited scholarship
Big South - will take anyone with a pulse and a football field
MAAC - about to not exist
Patriot - hah!

So you really have one choice.

xflaggedx Cold-Blooded

danefan
November 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
DSU actually makes a lot of sense in the Big South. That could happen before or after Stony Brook finishes its short stay.

The NEC is currently only allowing teams to have 30 schollys, plus they just announced that Bryant (DII) will be transitioning to the NEC soon, so I don't see the NEC taking any more teams.

But is the MEAC any less competitive then the Big South? I mean at least the MEAC has an AQ right now.

IaaScribe
November 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM
xflaggedx Cold-Blooded

Maybe. But it's true. I've covered this league for three years, and at least one school that wants in that would be a fine geographical fit for the conference has been told in no uncertain terms that football is king right now. Said school has no football team and no chance of getting one in the future.

There's only one reason that the Big South has bent over backwards to make Presbyterian feel welcome, even though the school isn't eligible for anything until 2011. And it's not the Blue Hose's volleyball or basketball programs. ;)

henfan
November 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Big South makes the most sense for FB but then what would DSU do with its Olympic sports? What conferences would be compatable in terms of aid philosophy, sports offered, geography, etc.? The NEC, with whom DSU had discussions a couple of years ago? The Big South? Is there really a pressing need to leave the MEAC?

DSUHornet
November 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Big South makes the most sense for FB but then what would DSU do with its Olympic sports? What conferences would be compatable in terms of aid philosophy, sports offered, geography, etc.? The NEC, with whom DSU had discussions a couple of years ago? The Big South? Is there really a pressing need to leave the MEAC?

that has been the vibe since the beginning of last season. apparently, Lavan and Sessoms, along with our athletic director, want out. they even went as far as to bash the reasoning behind HBCU's and Historically Black conferences, and i can't say that i disagree with them.

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
DSU actually makes a lot of sense in the Big South. That could happen before or after Stony Brook finishes its short stay.

The NEC is currently only allowing teams to have 30 schollys, plus they just announced that Bryant (DII) will be transitioning to the NEC soon, so I don't see the NEC taking any more teams.

But is the MEAC any less competitive then the Big South? I mean at least the MEAC has an AQ right now.

I like the Big South too, less travel time (only VA and SC schools at the moment), and we could join in all sports too. It would be good for recruiting as well. The MEAC might not be any "less competitive" as the Big South, but it IS seen to be that way, whether in the media or with the casual FCS fans and its why people think that we aren't gonna be competitive in the playoffs. Sheesh I mean DSU did beat SCSU at THEIR homecoming on a last second field goal. Mind you SCSU was picked to win the MEAC this year, and we got folks saying that we struggled against a "bad team" xnonono2x

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
i've been wanting to ask this question for a while now, dont ask why i refrained from it.

personally, i would love for us to go up to the CAA (for obvious reasons) but if/when this does happen, i see us in the big south or NEC.

me too, especially trying to figure out the reasoning behind moving up to FBS when we're seen as being in a historically weak conference. Look at FAMU a few years back. Didn't work out too well for them either...xnonono2x

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Not a pressing need, but an implied one...plus a new conference opens up many opportunities for DSU as well. Recruiting, Advertising, National exposure. I heard that the MEAC signed an EXCLUSIVE deal with ESPNU to televise the conference games...thats not acceptable in my eyes. Most DSU fans I know don't get ESPNU.

89Hen
November 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
What he said. xnodx

HIU 93
November 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
...it makes sense to first start by moving up to a more competitive conference...

Big South
Pinoeer
MAAC
Patriot
NEC

What do you think?

If you think that any of those conferences are stronger than the MEAC...then sayonara. Don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya!xthumbsupx

DSUHornet
November 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM
xlolx
If you think that any of those conferences are stronger than the MEAC...then sayonara. Don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya!xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 12:57 PM

xlolx my bad, "competitive" was the wrong word...I should of said a "conference thats in the better interests of DSU and the direction it wants to go". Don't get me wrong I love the MEAC and all, but all I'm saying is that if DSU wants to make the jump to FBS it would make a lot more sense to work their way up to being viewed as a premiere FCS school (on the level of Delaware, App St, Georgia Southern for example), and no offense to MEAC, but I just don't see that happening in this conference. Hampton dominated our conference three years in a row...and where are they at now? Its one of the reasons that MEAC teams arent seen as "good"

DSUHornet
November 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
people frown upon the MEAC ridiculously. i dont understand why it is to the extent that it is. 9-1 in a MEAC schedule is not "easy".

HIU 93
November 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
xlolx my bad, "competitive" was the wrong word...I should of said a "conference thats in the better interests of DSU and the direction it wants to go". Don't get me wrong I love the MEAC and all, but all I'm saying is that if DSU wants to make the jump to FBS it would make a lot more sense to work their way up to being viewed as a premiere FCS school (on the level of Delaware, App St, Georgia Southern for example), and no offense to MEAC, but I just don't see that happening in this conference. Hampton dominated our conference three years in a row...and where are they at now? Its one of the reasons that MEAC teams arent seen as "good"

The conferences you listed, minus the CAA are either non-playoff AQ conferences or no-schorlarship conferences or both. However, if you think it is better to give up scholarships and/or an automatic playoff berth, then go right ahead.

PS- Where is Hampton? About 5 hrs. south of DSU.:p

bosshogg
November 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM
the meac has no leadership.......

no real marketing plan except MEACKIE

not a strong tv deal.....

refs are terrible.....

and no leadership......our commish is straight ubllisht

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
people frown upon the MEAC ridiculously. i dont understand why it is to the extent that it is. 9-1 in a MEAC schedule is not "easy".

I dont understand it either...9-1 in any schedule is not easy either, we're just seen as a "lower-tier" league, and its an image problem that the MEAC needs to address...NSU should be at least considered for an at-large at 8-3 but they'll prolly wont be...its a shame really

jstate83
November 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM

refs are terrible.....

Damm......................Say what's on your mind. xlolx

Never understood that MEAKIE thing ya'll rolled out a couple of year's ago.
Havn't seen it since.

Still using it or has that plan been ditched?

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
The conferences you listed, minus the CAA are either non-playoff AQ conferences or no-schorlarship conferences or both. However, if you think it is better to give up scholarships and/or an automatic playoff berth, then go right ahead.

PS- Where is Hampton? About 5 hrs. south of DSU.:p

4 hrs, when i drive :p :p

UDBlueLotFan
November 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Until your AQ gets past the 1st Rd of the playoffs on a regular basis, the MEAC will always be considered 2nd tier. With the way it's looking, you'll have to wait till 08' to try to reach the 2nd Rdxbawlingx xsmiley_wix

blukeys
November 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM

refs are terrible.....

I have no first hand knowledge of your other items but you are spot on regarding the refs.

HIU 93
November 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM
4 hrs, when i drive :p :p

Young bull...xlolx :p

BearsCountry
November 15th, 2007, 02:49 PM
How about America East for all-sports and Big South as a football affilate?

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
How about America East for all-sports and Big South as a football affilate?

There were rumors going around that the Atlantic 10 was interested in us a couple years ago and would send an invite if we got better facilities and a larger basketball arena...(Memorial Hall = 3,000 listed, holds less than half that xnonono2x )

alexale23
November 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
del state will have a chance to prove it can compete next weekend. If they play UD.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
There were rumors going around that the Atlantic 10 was interested in us a couple years ago and would send an invite if we got better facilities and a larger basketball arena...(Memorial Hall = 3,000 listed, holds less than half that xnonono2x )

The A10 isn't what it used to be. Used to be a real power basketball conference, but that's fallen quite a bit since the Temple/UMass heydays. And it isn't a great conference for other sports - it was always driven by men's basketball.

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM
The A10 isn't what it used to be. Used to be a real power basketball conference, but that's fallen quite a bit since the Temple/UMass heydays. And it isn't a great conference for other sports - it was always driven by men's basketball.

Maybe...but its still a nationally recognized conference. And could be a really good fit for us as well...

GannonFan
November 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe...but its still a nationally recognized conference. And could be a really good fit for us as well...

Eh, the CAA's to the point where they may have passed the A10 in terms of basketball (George Mason helped that) and like I said, the A10 is really weak in the other sports.

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Eh, the CAA's to the point where they may have passed the A10 in terms of basketball (George Mason helped that) and like I said, the A10 is really weak in the other sports.

Well...its blatantly obvious that Delaware St. is NOT gonna be joining the CAA anytime soon, even tho geographically it makes the most sense (if I'm not mistaken, DSU would be the most centrally located school in the CAA if it were a member). And even if the A10 is weaker than it traditionally is, its TV deals and exposure in the northeast corridor and the ohio valley region would be great for recruiting as well. And most people would agree that tradition sells as a marketing ploy. And playing teams with said tradition would help our SOS in those other sports and also would mean more postseason tourney appearances. Which means more money for our programs and in turn our University...isn't that the point of conference affiliation in the first place?

DSUHornet
November 16th, 2007, 09:24 AM
xnodx
del state will have a chance to prove it can compete next weekend. If they play UD.

LacesOut
November 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I would love to see Del State in the CAA.

Go...gate
November 16th, 2007, 01:15 PM

What's the all-time playoff record of the MEAC vs. the PL? Or at least since 1997, when the PL was allowed to go to the play-offs? xreadx

R.A.
November 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Which one should they look to join? With all the talk a couple years ago of DSU moving up to FBS /1-A it makes sense to first start by moving up to a more competitive conference, no offense to the MEAC. Regionally speaking I narrowed it down to a few in particular:

CAA
Big South
Pinoeer
MAAC
Patriot
NEC

Personally I feel that the most sensible ones would be the CAA, NEC, and the Big South. And if we joined the CAA then that UD/DSU matchup would happen every year xrotatehx . The A10 makes the most sense overall but it doesn't offer football :(

What do you think?

THIS IS TRAITOR TALK!!!

ccd494
November 16th, 2007, 05:12 PM
A10? You're going to send non-revenue Olympic sports to St. Louis?

I don't think the A-East is a bad fit, gives UMBC a "southern" partner. Gives the AEC another football member (Maine, UNH, Albany, Stony Brook, DSU, URI, CCSU isn't an awful football conference).

Intrepid
November 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM
There is no need for DSU to change conference but if they have to, CAA is the best choice.

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
THIS IS TRAITOR TALK!!!

Nah, just sparking the revolution xpeacex

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
There is no need for DSU to change conference but if they have to, CAA is the best choice.

Agreed, this is something I've been kicking around for a couple years now anyways, just wanted your opinions on it.

Intrepid
November 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Rocks,
In your signature, you forgot to add 1991. DSU shared the MEAC crown with North Carolina A&T that year.

Seawolf97
November 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
A10? You're going to send non-revenue Olympic sports to St. Louis?

I don't think the A-East is a bad fit, gives UMBC a "southern" partner. Gives the AEC another football member (Maine, UNH, Albany, Stony Brook, DSU, URI, CCSU isn't an awful football conference).

That is a pretty good conference for football. Just alot of stumbling blocks to get there. DSU would be a good addition.