PDA

View Full Version : Playoff team strengths and weaknesses

woffordgrad94
November 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
This will allow us to see how teams match up against each other when they meet in the playoffs. I'll start with the WOFFORD TERRIERS.

STRENGTHS:
1) We run a fairly unique offensive scheme that many teams don't see a lot and is hard to prepare for in a short time such as a week.
2) We boast a rushing attack that's one of the best in FCS.
3) We typically don't surrender a lot of rushing yards.
4) We can surprise and catch you off guard with long pass plays from time to time when they are unexpected.
5) The team is among the FCS leaders in interceptions (probably partly because teams throw so many passes against us).
6) We have played in the tough SoCon, which makes us fairly batlle-tested.
7) We have a very aggressive coach.

WEAKNESSES:
1) An overall lack of depth and totla athleticism when compared to what many other playoff teams will have.
2) A very suspect pass defense that can give up lots of yards through the air.
3) Suspect field-goal kicking (but Coach Ayers doesn't really like to kick FGs anyway- he normally goes for it on 4th down).
4) Our offense is very much tilted toward rushing- rush-pass balance is definitely not a strength.
5) We have a very aggressive coach.:)

OVERALL CHANCES:
If we get hot, we are capable of advancing some in the playoffs, but I think a lack of answers for solid QB play will spell our demise- sooner or later.

McNeese72
November 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Which version of the triple option do you run?

The same as Nicholls runs which is the one that GSU used to run?

Doc

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM
SIU

Strengths

1) Passing game-Starting QB ranks third nationally in passing efficiency.
2) Scoring- SIU ranks fifth nationally with over 40 points a game.
3) Total offense-We average 455 yards a game. It is a fairly balanced offense averaging 245 yards passing and 210 rushing.
4) Stopping the other team from scoring. We only give up 15.8 points a game.
5) Return game- Craig Turner is a dangerous return man, averaging over 12 yds on punt returns and 27 on kickoff returns.
6) Opportunistic- We are +10 on turnovers for the year. This is an area which has improved from last year.
7) Punting- Ravanesi averages 42.9 yards per punt although he hasn't had to very often.

Weaknesses

I'll have to get back to you.
xwhistlex

woffordgrad94
November 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Which version of the triple option do you run?

The same as Nicholls runs which is the one that GSU used to run?

Doc

I have heard it said that we no longer run a true "triple option" offense. I have heard our offense referred to as the "wingbone"- we do not really line up in a true "wishbone" formation.

gregatim
November 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
NDSU

Strengths: Too many to quantify.

Weaknesses: NCAA 5 year transition requirement.xbawlingx

Houndawg
November 14th, 2007, 07:40 PM
SIU

Strengths

3) Total offense-We average 455 yards a game. It is a fairly balanced offense averaging 245 yards passing and 210 rushing.
5) Return game- Craig Turner is a dangerous return man, averaging over 12 yds on punt returns and 27 on kickoff returns.
6) Opportunistic- We are +10 on turnovers for the year. This is an area which has improved from last year.
7) Punting- Ravanesi averages 42.9 yards per punt although he hasn't had to very often.

Weaknesses

xwhistlex

Weakness - Slow starts. We can't spot teams two scores in the playoffs.

Running QBs have given us trouble.

Strengths- Nick Hill can beat you if you sell out to stop the run.

Gamers that are good under pressure, don't panic when behind, play to the last second.

TheValleyRaider
November 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
NDSU

Strengths: Too many to quantify.

Would you characterize the Bison as...

scrumtrillescent?
http://norbizness.com/archives/rosethorn.jpg

RE/MAXGriz
November 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Montana's strengths:

- 2nd half adjustments, if you look at how this team does they usually win games in the 2nd half, mainly on defense. In their last 3 games all were close at the half (one point lead, 7 point lead, tie) and they went on to shut down the opponent.

- Consistent play, there's really nothing flashy about these Griz, they run hard, block well and their WRs can catch & run. You know what you're going to get out of each guy on a regular basis.

- Special Teams, a strong point for this team, Marc Mariani and Rob Schulte usually have long returns (but no TDs) on both punts and kickoffs. Also their kickoff coverage team was not allowing a single big return until ISU took a 105 yd kickoff back on them. They shut down returners. The biggest part of the special teams is our kicker, Dan Carpenter who is 3 points away from setting the all-time FCS points record. Carp makes 50 yard field goals look like chip shots, he's got a good chance to play on Sunday. Carp can still kick the ball out of the back of the endzone even with the new rule pushing the ball back 5 yards. Our punter is also averaging nearly 50 yards per kick.

- Senior leadership, there's 22 seniors on this team, and most of the starters on defense are (1 saftey, both corners, all 3 LBs, 2 Dline).

Weaknesses:

- Pass defense, losing two guys before the season stung the depth, one of them was picked to be an all-american. Teams put up big passing yards on us.

- Vanilla offense, I said before, they're consistent which is good and bad. Teams with good defenses know exactly what to expect.

- No star WR. We lost our star in spring camp (Chambers), then our rising star shatters his forearm (Bagley). We're down to Eric Allen who isn't playing like he did last year and a younger, smaller WR corps.

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
SIU

Strengths

Weaknesses

xwhistlex

xhomerx :pumpuke:

sharkeycox
November 14th, 2007, 09:26 PM
McNeese

Strengths:

Team speed
Versatile quarterbacks
stable of effective backs
good offensive line
Buck Buchanan watch DE (Bryan Smith)
good kicker
did I mention team speed?xthumbsupx

Weaknesses:

Not great against the run
Wide outs tend to get open, but have too many drops
Bend but don't break defense......makes me very nervous!!!xconfusedx could also be considered a strength

Other Cowboy fans can help me outxsmiley_wix

nmatsen
November 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
UNI's Strengths-10
UNI's Weaknesses-0

YoUDeeMan
November 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM
UD:

OK, I've thought a lot about this....so here it is in graphic detail:

Strengths:

No one can stop our offense. No one.

Uhhhhhhh....except our OC.

Weaknesses: Without a healthy Tally and Marcorelle, we can't stop anyone.

Whew....that took some insight. xrolleyesx

I need a beer. I feel some more insight coming....xrotatehx

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2007, 09:56 PM
xhomerx :pumpuke:
You betcha!

sharkeycox
November 14th, 2007, 10:16 PM
UNI's Strengths-10
UNI's Weaknesses-0xgiveadamnx

Ud1Hens
November 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Cluck U's assessment of Delaware is pretty straightforward and true...I will try and go a little deeper.

Strengths:
-No one can stop our offense, except our OC, haha
-Quarterback (Flacco) can throw every pass in the book with unbelieveable accuracy
-WRs (Love, Duncan, Michaud) are fast and can take each reception to the house
-RB (Cuff) is extremely hard to bring down, his balance is amazing and will score TDs like it's his religion
-probably will get Delaware St. in the 1st round (haha, I had to say it because their coach/AD said, "WE WANT DELAWARE!")

Weaknesses:
-without our DEs healthy we can't stop anyone on defense
-Kickoffs, both kicking and receiving, we never get a good return and always allow the other team to start around our 40 (sky-kicks?)
-no playoff experience...b/c of the down two years a majority of our key players haven't been there

crunifan
November 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Strengths:
-We have an awesome running attack thanks to Corey Lewis and Darian Williams
-We have an accurate, experienced quarterback in Eric Sanders
-We have play-off experience
-We have the UNI-Dome
-We have Johnny Gray (an amazing WR, you all saw that punt return)
-We have a very balanced offense that can both pass and run
-We have one of the nations best rush defenses
-Strong kicking game

Weakness
-I think our pass defense can get a little weak at times
-We seem to sit on a lead late in the game (SIU game in particular) as opposed to going for the win

Any Gateway teams have anything to add to this?

appfan2008
November 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM
ASU strengths-
quarterback...
running back...
wide recievers...
oline(when healthy)...
ability to score points...
scoring early...
secondary...
pass defense...
linbackers...
kicker...

ASU weaknesses...
dline...
stopping the option...
oline(when injured)...

that was a homers opinion... anyone can add to that

skinny_uncle
November 15th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Strengths:
-We have an awesome running attack thanks to Corey Lewis and Darian Williams
-We have an accurate, experienced quarterback in Eric Sanders
-We have play-off experience
-We have the UNI-Dome
-We have Johnny Gray (an amazing WR, you all saw that punt return)
-We have a very balanced offense that can both pass and run
-We have one of the nations best rush defenses
-Strong kicking game

Weakness
-I think our pass defense can get a little weak at times
-We seem to sit on a lead late in the game (SIU game in particular) as opposed to going for the win

Any Gateway teams have anything to add to this?
I'm not sure why, but.........

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/iowa/cedar_falls_dome2.jpg

CamelCityAppFan
November 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
For this year's edition of the Mountaineers, I think the biggest stregnth for the playoffs is experience in BIG games by the athletes in on-field leadership postitions.

I think the weakness is youth (and the lack of experience that comes with that) in some areas on both sides of the ball (talking about the lines here).

In every playoff game, the difference will be how the players I've described as a strength can lift up and help and motivate the players I've described as the weakness.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I'll take a shot at what I know of the Dukes...

Strengths:

- Running the ball (Landers is big and fast and to this point has shown he can read the defense well on the option)
- Run defense is usually pretty stout between Baranowsky (DL), Barnes (LB), Adams (LB) and Lezotte (S)
- Pass rush - our front four are usually pretty good at getting pressure on the QB (only Flacco didn't care too much!)
- WR Bubble Screen - we USUALLY can run this play pretty succesfully if the option is working...which leads to the weaknesses.

Weaknesses...

- Passing (of late). The accuracy that Landers has shown early in the season is gone. On top of that we're hampered with injuries, another weakness.
- Injuries (although this probably applies to just about everybody). Holloman is out for the year, Scotty McGhee (our top kick returner and a top DB) just returned last week but mainly just returned kicks, LC Baker's (our top WR) been out for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure of his status.
- Pass defense - even though our front four gets good pressure, our DBs lack depth, particularly with the injuries this year. Lezotte is about our only hope here

UDBlueLotFan
November 15th, 2007, 08:17 AM
SIU weekness...UNIxnodx

Come on UNI fans, are you going to let skinny uncle get away with a low-blowxconfusedx xsmiley_wix

igo4uni
November 15th, 2007, 08:36 AM
SIU weekness...UNIxnodx

Come on UNI fans, are you going to let skinny uncle get away with a low-blowxconfusedx xsmiley_wix

I'm pretty sure that skinny was saying the fabulous UNI-Dome is a strength.xcoolx xcoolx

89Hen
November 15th, 2007, 08:39 AM
UD:

OK, I've thought a lot about this....so here it is in graphic detail:

Strengths:

No one can stop our offense. No one.

Uhhhhhhh....except our OC.

Weaknesses: Without a healthy Tally and Marcorelle, we can't stop anyone.

Whew....that took some insight. xrolleyesx

I need a beer. I feel some more insight coming....xrotatehx
TOO LONG.

Strength = Offense
Weakness = Defense

89Hen
November 15th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Montana's strengths:
I'm on the same page as SkinnyUncle with UNI...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b8/300px-WaGriz_GrizCat2006.jpg

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I'm on the same page as SkinnyUncle with UNI...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b8/300px-WaGriz_GrizCat2006.jpg

I've never seen that before.
What is it?xconfusedx

89Hen
November 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I've never seen that before.
What is it?xconfusedx
I figured I'd thrown them a bone since their posters are not allowed to post pictures of it anymore. xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I figured I'd thrown them a bone since their posters are not allowed to post pictures of it anymore. xsmiley_wix

You're a saint.xbowx

Houndawg
November 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM
SIU weekness...UNIxnodx

All weak long.;)

tke504oa
November 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
ASU

Strength:

Armanti Edwards xbowx

Weekness:

Armanti Edwards Injured xoopsx

th0m
November 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I'd add to mcveyrl's list for JMU.

Weakness:

Punting. Really atrocious.

rob_p469
November 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx
UNI's Strengths-10
UNI's Weaknesses-0

rob_p469
November 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I hope you have to play Eastern Washington, then your weaknesses will include one and done in the playoffs.