PDA

View Full Version : Pick and Pair Your Playoff Sixteen

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Pick your 16 playoff teams out of those still eligible (can still reach the 7 Div. I wins level) and pair them up best as you see fit (or try how you think the playoff committee would do it). Good luck!

Records are through Nov. 10 and reflect only Div. I games.
Remaining games for each opponent are italicized.
Bolded teams have already clinched automatic qualifier.

Big Sky
Montana 9-0 (11/17 at Montana State)
Eastern Washington 6-3 (11/17 Weber State)

CAA
Massachusetts 8-2 (11/17 at Hofstra)
Richmond 8-2 (11/17 William & Mary)
Delaware 7-2 (11/17 at Villanova)
Hofstra 7-3 (11/17 Massachusetts)
James Madison 7-3 (11/17 Towson)
New Hampshire 6-4 (11/17 Maine)
Villanova 6-4 (11/17 Delaware)

Gateway
Northern Iowa 9-0 (11/17 Southern Utah)
Southern Illinois 8-1 (11/17 at Hampton)

MEAC
Delaware State 9-1 (11/17 Howard)
Norfolk State 6-3 (11/17 Winston-Salem)
South Carolina State 6-4 (11/17 North Carolina A&T)
Hampton 6-4 (11/17 Southern Illinois)

Northeast
Albany 7-3 (11/17 at Central Connecticut State)

Ohio Valley
Eastern Kentucky 8-2 (11/17 Tennessee Tech)
Eastern Illinois 7-3 (11/17 Samford)
Jacksonville State 6-4 (11/17 at Southeast Missouri State)

Patriot
Fordham 8-2 (11/17 Bucknell)
Colgate 7-3 (11/17 at Holy Cross)
Holy Cross 6-4 (11/17 Colgate)
Lafayette 6-4 (11/17 at Lehigh)

Pioneer
Dayton 8-1
San Diego 8-1 (11/17 at UC-Davis)
Morehead State 6-3 (11/17 at Western Kentucky)

Southern
Wofford 7-3
Appalachian State 7-2 (11/17 UT-Chattanooga)
Georgia Southern 6-3 (11/17 at Colorado State)

Southland
McNeese State 9-0 (11/17 Central Arkansas)

SWAC
Alabama A&M 7-2 (11/17 at Prairie View A&M)

appstate38
November 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
This makes my head hurt. I would much rather wait till Sunday when all the speculation is FINALLY over and we can get down to discussing who is actually in the Dance.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
300pm at legends on asu's campus is going to be aviewing party with the coaches and players in attendance!

EKU05
November 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
EKU is having one also in the auditorium of the Student Services Building at 2:30.

UMass922
November 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Eastern Illinois @ #1 Northern Iowa
Delaware State @ Delaware

Fordham @ Massachusetts
Wofford @ #4 Richmond

Eastern Kentucky @ #3 Montana
Southern Illinois @ Georgia Southern

James Madison @ Appalachian State
Eastern Washington @ #2 McNeese State

DTSpider
November 13th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I don't think Richmond gets a seed, but I hope to have a home matchup with Wofford, it definitely seems to make the most sense. Perhaps have JMU @ #4 ASU in the other side of the bracket to set up a potential JMU @ UR for the 2nd round :)

JMUSaxMRD
November 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I don't think Richmond gets a seed, but I hope to have a home matchup with Wofford, it definitely seems to make the most sense. Perhaps have JMU @ #4 ASU in the other side of the bracket to set up a potential JMU @ UR for the 2nd round :)

You are aware if it is JMU @ UR it is basically a JMU home game, we travel well and you have poor attendance.

KiddBrewer
November 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
300pm at legends on asu's campus is going to be aviewing party with the coaches and players in attendance!

first time im actually gonna get to go to that, hope i dont jinx it

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
If Georgia Southern loses, I think it's distinctly possible a 7-4 team gets in.

terrierbob
November 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Is there no hope for a home game for Wofford?

terrierbob
November 13th, 2007, 10:41 PM

How is your run defense?

JMUFortier
November 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
You are aware if it is JMU @ UR it is basically a JMU home game, we travel well and you have poor attendance.

Add the fact that the home team has not won since 2003 and it looks like we will revenge our homecoming loss straight to the semi-finals.xrotatehx xlolx xnodx xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM

Stop fantasizing about UNH getting in at 7-4. Not going to happen..xlolx

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
first time im actually gonna get to go to that, hope i dont jinx it

i will be there also of course!... hope to see you there not that i know who you are!:p xnodx

furpal87
November 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM
This hard a little more info and the committtee may have it easier.

E. Ill at #1 No. Iowa
JMU at Wofford

E. Kentucky at #4 App State
Del State at Delaware

Richmond at #3 McNeese St
Fordham at UMass

Colgate at #2 Montana
EWU at So. Ill

Colgate, Eastern Illinois last two teams in, GSU can pull the upset or maybe Hofstra slips in.

drpnut
November 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I believe Wofforrd gets a home game. Likely Richmond comes to us. We beat them in attendance, and a SoCon Autobid would trump second-third in CAA. I assume. Even if Richmond wins the autobid I believe the NCAA would prefer more money that they would get from us.

I also believe EKU could come to us.

Khan4Cats
November 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Eastern Illinois @ #1 Northern Iowa
Delaware State @ Delaware

Fordham @ Massachusetts
Wofford @ #4 Richmond

Eastern Kentucky @ #3 Montana
Southern Illinois @ Georgia Southern

James Madison @ Appalachian State
Eastern Washington @ #2 McNeese State

I think I agree with these pairings/teams, just not the seedings/brackets.

I see JMU/App and SIU/GSU being bracketed together in the 4 seed, Delaware/DSU being paired with Montana/EKU, Fordham/UMass being paired with McNeese/EWU, and Wofford/Richmond with UNI/EIU. The only pairing match I could see changing would be EKU playing SIU and GSU going to Montana.

Should GSU lose to Colorado State, I could see a Hoftsra/Colgate/UNH team being sent to UNI or Montana (with EIU going to the other and EKU going to SIU).

Cranium716
November 14th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Fordham @ #1 Northern Iowa
Richmond @ App St

Delaware St @ Delaware
E. Washington @ #4 Southern Illinois

Massachusetts @ #3 Montana
E. Kentucky @ GSU

Wofford @ JMU
Alabama A&M @ #2 McNeese St

I firmly believe that JMU will bid big if it has a chance to get a home game. They have the attendance numbers to do it. The last team in was tricky. I originally had Hofstra in, but couldn't go through with it, so I put Alabama A&M in instead.

LehighFan11
November 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Richmond @ App St

Delaware St @ Delaware

E. Kentucky @ GSU

Wofford @ JMU

I firmly believe that JMU will bid big if it has a chance to get a home game. They have the attendance numbers to do it. The last team in was tricky. I originally had Hofstra in, but couldn't go through with it, so I put Alabama A&M in instead.

JMU doesn't have a good history of bidding for home games right? I remember they were a top 8 team and they were forced to come play @ Lehigh in the first round. I don't think there is anyway UMASS will be left out. Richmond v. App St would be an awesome matchup in the first round.

bostonspider
November 14th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I believe Wofforrd gets a home game. Likely Richmond comes to us. We beat them in attendance, and a SoCon Autobid would trump second-third in CAA. I assume. Even if Richmond wins the autobid I believe the NCAA would prefer more money that they would get from us.

Wofford might outdraw UR in general, but Richmond Stadium is much larger, and UR has a history of bidding as large as the Stadium. UR will be cochamps of the CAA no matter what and if they win this weekend, likely will win the conference vote for the autobid.

AlphaSigMD
November 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Richmond @ App St

Delaware St @ Delaware

E. Kentucky @ GSU

Wofford @ JMU

I have a hard time believing that the committee would send ASU to UNI in the 2nd round. Maybe in the 3rd, especially if we are seeded. But, I would see us paired with whoever the 3 or 4 seed is (if its not us) to set up a potentially Huge matchup with ASU-UNI or ASU-Montana. Because really, I think we can ride the strength of our offense thru atleast a few rounds of the tourney, and hope our defense gets it together and gets healthy. We average 45 points a game, with 1 team holding us to 31 points all year. Its difficult for any team to score that much, unless we have turnovers, so atleast its a cushion for our defense.

All this is assuming that Montana wins this weekend, because a 11-0 montana gets a 2 seed over 11-0 mcneese, simply because of their stadium and strength of schedule. Yes...Montana has an SOS better than atleast 1 team. If Montana loses then any number of things could happen.

RAMS83
November 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I cant imagine Fordham would be sent to UNI-- especially when UMass- Richmond- Delaware- and JMU--are in the mix. Closer geograghically and the committee like to pair PL and Caa teams in the 1st round. However, if you need us to be giant killers-- not a problem. lol

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM

I see six teams getting home games no matter what assuming they are in ASU, Montana, Delaware, UNI, McNeese, & GSU. I see the next group as UMass, JMU, & SIU. They all should be able to bid well but we don't know if they did. EKU & Wofford are wildcards in my opinion. We are the oddity with low attendance but high capacity and a willingness to spend.

I don't think anyone else will get a seed or bid high enough. The GSU game should shake up the home games, one way or the other.

gsueaglefan
November 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Concur, and I think it is you guys!

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
How is your run defense?

In general, better than our pass defense. Not as smothering as I would like but gang tackling at the line of scrimmage, unless you can get a quicker hitter up the middle (our biggest run defense weakness).

It appears our idea is to turn the first couple of yards from scrimmage and the outside edges into a quagmire for runners with a minefield of defenders. How's that?:D

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Concur, and I think it is you guys!

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

woffordgrad94
November 14th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Wofford gets a home game. Jerry Richardson (Carolina Panthers owner and former Wofford Terrier) has opened up that big wallet really wide, just like he did in 2003! We'll play Richmond or James Madison in all likelihood.

Saluki_man
November 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM
If EIU makes it, they will make the three hour drive to Carbondale. Way too close for the committee not to send them to SIU.

rufus
November 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
JMU at Wofford

I just don't see Wofford out bidding JMU. Sure our admin made the lowest bid of the 16 teams in the field in 2004, but he has supposedly learned from the mistake and is now bidding very agressively. I think JMU gets a home game in the first round unless we're sent to a seed or App State. But if I had to put money on a scenario, I would have JMU playing round 1 in Boone.

alexale23
November 14th, 2007, 10:29 AM
i would rather got to wofford than boone even though wofford beat asu.It would be even better if wofford came to harrisonburg. But in all reality and what most people think jmu will be going to boone. But the committee is known to do things unusual. Hopefully they will feel sorry for sending Jmu to YSU last year when they should have had a home game. I wondering if the committee takes in to account past screw jobs. A UR JMU second round game would be amazing. I hope if it happens it does so in RIchmond cause i live here. That game will be like the william and mary jmu semi final in 2004. Close at the begining and not at the end.

McCowboyFan
November 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Wofford gets a home game. Jerry Richardson (Carolina Panthers owner and former Wofford Terrier) has opened up that big wallet really wide, just like he did in 2003! We'll play Richmond or James Madison in all likelihood.

Don't see it happening.

woffordgrad94
November 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM
If we go on the road, I can't truthfully say I won't be disappointed, but I'll live with it. We can win a game on the road.

Sam Adams
November 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
The Massachusetts AD is on the selection committee, there is no way Massachusetts as CAA Champion will be flying to Montana for a first round game.

Houndawg
November 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
The Massachusetts AD is on the selection committee, there is no way Massachusetts as CAA Champion will be flying to Montana for a first round game.

Regardless of who gets the 4 seed, I think Montana is the most upsetable of the seeds.

Mn_Moose
November 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry, but I haven't taken in consideration the home attendance bids.

Fordham (8-2) at Northern Iowa (10-0)
Wofford (8-3) at Delaware (8-2)

Eastern Washington (7-3) at Southern Illinois (9-1)
Hofstra (7-3) at Delaware St. (9-1)

Georgia Southern (7-3) at McNeese (10-0)
Richmond (8-2) at Massachusetts (8-2)

Eastern Illinois (7-3) at Montana (10-0)
Eastern Kentucky (8-2) at Appalachian St (8-2)

ekufbfan
November 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Speculation of EKU going to Montana...ASU...Richmond...Wofford...SIU...GSU...
we may not have a snowball's chance in hosting a game, but I know we made an agressive bid (you got to remember we have not been in the playoffs in ten years so EKU isn't going into this process like a scared and squeamish little brother) and I know for a fact we can't be playing at all those places...GO COLONELS wherever you may be!!

FCS Go!
November 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM
E. Illinois @ N. Iowa(UNI)
Del St @ Delaware

E. Kentucky@ S. Illinois
Fordham @ UMass

Ga Southern @ Montana
Wofford @ Richmond

E. Washington @ McNeese St
JMU @ App St

I could easily see E. Illinois being sent to Montana and E. Washington going to N. Iowa. Ga Southern then goes to McNeese. Who knows really?xchinscratchx

JMU Duke Dog
November 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I have based these picks on Colorado State beating Georgia Southern and Massachusetts beating Hofstra this upcoming Saturday. If Georgia Southern wins, then the Eagles will be in the playoffs over Colgate or Eastern Illinois.

Automatic Qualifiers:
Big Sky: Montana
CAA: Richmond
Gateway: Northern Iowa
MEAC: Delaware State
Ohio Valley: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot: Fordham
Southern: Wofford
Southland: McNeese State

At-Large:
Big Sky: Eastern Washington
CAA: Massachusetts, Delaware, James Madison
Gateway: Southern Illinois
Ohio Valley: Eastern Illinois
Patriot: Colgate
Southern: Appalachian State

Pairings:
Eastern Washington at #1 Northern Iowa
Eastern Illinois at Southern Illinois

James Madison at #4 Appalachian State
Wofford at Eastern Kentucky

Richmond at #3 McNeese State
Delaware State at Delaware

Colgate at #2 Montana
Fordham at Massachusetts

FargoBison
November 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM
#1.UNI vs EWU
App St vs JMU

#4.SIU vs EIU
Richmond vs EKU

#2.Montana vs Colgate
UD vs Del State

#3.McNeese vs Wofford
UMASS vs Fordham

Cincy App
November 15th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I have based these picks on Colorado State beating Georgia Southern and Massachusetts beating Hofstra this upcoming Saturday. If Georgia Southern wins, then the Eagles will be in the playoffs over Colgate or Eastern Illinois.

Automatic Qualifiers:

At-Large:

Pairings:

Colgate at #2 Montana
Fordham at Massachusetts

Logical first round matchups. This is the first bracket I have seen with 5 bus trips in the first round (350 miles or less) which I expect will be a high priority for the Selection Committee.

Sam Adams
November 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Automatic Qualifiers:

At-Large:

Pairings:

Colgate at #2 Montana
Fordham at Massachusetts

Pretty reasonable brackets and I think that 4 seed will come down to App, Richmond or Massachusetts. This obviously assumes that Montana wins out which is not a given according to even the Griz faithful.

JMU / APP would seem to be the best Rd 1 game on paper.

Spider
November 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM

yeah, you traveled well for your homecoming and got beat!xthumbsupx

alexale23
November 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM
DOnt worry if they both make the playoffs that game will not mean anything. IF Jmu has to go to Richmond that will be the one that does.