PDA

View Full Version : Home attendance #'s for playoff teams

RAMS83
November 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Can anyone out there put a list together for 2007 home attendance #'s for playoff teams (home games only). This way a school wouldnt have better avg numbers if they played a BCS type school and therefore skew the #'s..

I searched the web but didnt really come up with what i was looking for.

Im a Fordham Fan and I realize our chances at a home playoff game are slim.

However, there are a couple of slim chances for Fordham to host the 1st round and/or 2nd round .

If Hofstra wins vs UMass and gets in the playoffs its possible to host but they have a nicer facility and can accomodate more fans. I realize the CAA is a stronger conference but it would stink that a 5th team in the CAA would get a home game over the PL Champ.. FU admin could really help out the FU faithful by putting stands etc.. on opposite side of the field for big games.. now and for the future.. We had 8200 for Holy Cross game but our stadium only has seats on one side of field. (FYI) Baseball field is nearby so we could only put temporary stands at this point to accomodate more people)..

If say we face UMass on the road or Hofstra wherever and Fordham either way advances to the second round--

we could possibly host a 2nd round game .. an example would be if Delaware St.. beat Delaware.. Or if Colgate gets in and advances to the 2nd round.. We would both be in the same region.. etc.. and could awarded the "host" either due to nicer facility-better attendance #'s than those two schools or maybe the NYC angle..

Sorry for long post but Im not familiar with some of the other smaller schools in the Tourney as far as stadiums and attendance #'s.. I do know the Montana / Delaware etc.. but the others?? thanks

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
All the suspects...

AppSt - 27,903
Montana - 23,234
Delaware - 21,801
GSU - 18,925
UNI - 16,321
JMU - 14,628
McNeese - 13,877
UMass - 13,007
SIU - 11,083
EKU - 9,325
EIU - 8,494
Wofford - 8,319
Richmond - 6,705
EWU - 5,591
Hofstra - 5,364
Dayton - 5,076
Fordham - 4,728
Delaware State - 4,654
Colgate - 4,291

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 04:49 PM
BTW, I left Albany off the list just to piss off their fans. xsmiley_wix

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM
BTW, I left Albany off the list just to piss off their fans. xsmiley_wix

I think the polls accomplish that xlolx xsmiley_wix

ButlerGSU
November 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Not sure where you got that figure but I believe our home avg this season is over 19,000 - we had around 23,500 for the Furman game this past weekend which inched it up some.

JayJ79
November 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
The NCAA keeps home attendance averages on their webpage (in PDF form), they usually update it on Sundays I think.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

appstate38
November 13th, 2007, 05:16 PM
All the suspects...

AppSt - 27,903
Montana - 23,234
Delaware - 21,801
GSU - 18,925
UNI - 16,321
JMU - 14,628
McNeese - 13,877
UMass - 13,007
SIU - 11,083
EKU - 9,325
EIU - 8,494
Wofford - 8,319
Richmond - 6,705
EWU - 5,591
Hofstra - 5,364
Dayton - 5,076
Fordham - 4,728
Delaware State - 4,654
Colgate - 4,291

It's good to be the KING!

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
It's good to be the KING!

Put some bleachers on that grass and you'll have yourselves a real stadium. :p

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 06:06 PM
All the suspects...

AppSt - 27,903
Montana - 23,234
Delaware - 21,801
GSU - 18,925
UNI - 16,321
JMU - 14,628
McNeese - 13,877
UMass - 13,007
SIU - 11,083
EKU - 9,325
EIU - 8,494
Wofford - 8,319
Richmond - 6,705
EWU - 5,591
Hofstra - 5,364
Dayton - 5,076
Fordham - 4,728
Delaware State - 4,654
Colgate - 4,291

suddenly, i dont feel so bad. there are about 5 teams that we could beat attendance-wise.

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Not sure where you got that figure but I believe our home avg this season is over 19,000 - we had around 23,500 for the Furman game this past weekend which inched it up some.
From the NCAA.

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
All the suspects...

AppSt - 27,903
Montana - 23,234
Delaware - 21,801
GSU - 18,925
UNI - 16,321
JMU - 14,628
McNeese - 13,877
UMass - 13,007
SIU - 11,083
EKU - 9,325
EIU - 8,494
Wofford - 8,319
Richmond - 6,705
EWU - 5,591
Hofstra - 5,364
Dayton - 5,076
Fordham - 4,728
Delaware State - 4,654
Colgate - 4,291

No Alabama A&M?

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM

West Georgia - 21,489
Chattanooga - 18,785
WCU - 15,486
SDSU - 15,912
El Cid - 18,506
Furman - 23,373

= 18,925

appstate38
November 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Put some bleachers on that grass and you'll have yourselves a real stadium. :p

Just burns you up that you guys aren't on the top!xsmiley_wix
What constiutes a real Stadium...Hmmm 1. A field 2. goal posts at both ends 3. Bleachers/stands 4. Field house 5. A team to play there.

Yeap I think we have a REAL stadiumxthumbsupx

BTW when the upgrades are done you will be coming to Boone to see how it is done!

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
wow our 27k sure sticks out like a sore thumb!

itll be interesting to see how many show up for any possible home playoff games... the first weekend would be great to see 10 or 12k especially if on a friday... second weekend on more like 18k would be good!

bcrawf
November 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I think we are doing pretty well considering that the pre SRO capacity of the Dome is 16324...

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I think we are doing pretty well considering that the pre SRO capacity of the Dome is 16324...

there is nothing wrong with that... if that is all you can do

RAMS83
November 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Thank you for the help guys. I was suprised to see UMass at 13k.. I know they're a good team but didnt think they drew that well.

Put some bleachers on that grass and you'll have yourselves a real stadium.

I wish Fordham would at least put temporary stands--but they couldnt do it year round.. part of the baseball field (outfield) overlaps the visiting teams sideline.

As part of the grid club @ Fordham--its strange scenario regarding attendance etc.. We have 100,000 alumni. Many in the NYC area. However being in NY -alum have many options on how to spend their Saturdays in the fall. A broadway play, central park, shopping, brunch in nyc--well you get the idea. Anyway the field itself is nice but small 7-9k capacity. Fordham does very little promoting the program locally.. newspaper-cable tv show-billboards-flyers etc.. One of the reasons I believe is that if demand grows they would be put in a bind to build something bigger or put substanial money into moving baseball field and build the other side (stands) etc.. Its a pretty campus but pressed for space. So I think FU Admin. actually prefer that our attendance stays the same so they dont have an issue to deal with. Our recruits realize the gameday atmosphere doesnt compare to some of the better programs in 1aa as far as stadium and facilities.. but our coaches say " you can go somewhere where they have a nice stadium in the middle of nowhere or you can go to college in NYC" ..

Being a former player though I always wanted to play in front of bigger crowds.. but all in all Fordham was a good choice.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
if you want your program to grow/compete for national titles... which is possible a little effort in that town would go a long way...

Barnstormer
November 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I'm guessing we will be lucky to get 10k for the first round game. Two years ago we had.. what... 8k I think. Thanksgiving kills us.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanksgiving kills app as well... most of the fans(non students) that come to asu games come from 2+ hours charlotte, raleigh etc. also students are notorious for not coming back in time for the game... it doesnt help when dorms dont open back up till sunday:( but last year they did open them up early which helped a little...

nmatsen
November 13th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Not that the Rock isn't a real stadium but I have a hard time believing that a stadium is "big time" (not saying that UNI is) if there is:

1. A track between the field and the stands.
2. Lines from another sport on your turf.

Just this guys opinion.

74AppState
November 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM
All excellent points--most App fans would probably agree, the track needs to go, but in the NC Mtns topo limits how much land is available for seperate facilities, so I am not optimistic.
But................
I also went to the "Mini Dome" at ETSU and it was a terrible facility. Of course it was always mostly empty so that didnt help. Hopefully UNI is better than the mini dome

CamelCityAppFan
November 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM
App was going to invest in turning KBS into a "real" stadium (bleachers on the hill, getting rid of the track, blah, blah, blah).

They had to invest in a trophy shelf instead...

:D

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM
App was going to invest in turning KBS into a "real" stadium (bleachers on the hill, getting rid of the track, blah, blah, blah).

Well if there money to get rid of a track and build bleachers went all into a trohpy case, than you might wanna win some more. Griz thanksgiving games usually go well. We can still crank out over 20,000 sometimes (like last year!) Should be more this year with all the excitement.

JayJ79
November 13th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'm guessing we will be lucky to get 10k for the first round game. Two years ago we had.. what... 8k I think. Thanksgiving kills us.

7746 for the game against Eastern Washington in '05. It was quite pathetic.

In fact, UNI only averaged 10628 for home attendance that year, and that includes 15536 that went to the Southern Illinois game. The one thing that frustrates me about Northern Iowa is the lackluster attendance we've had in the past. Even when the team is playing great!

However, this year the community has really stepped up and gotten behind the Panthers. I'm not sure that there will be another sellout for the first round game, what with the holiday and all, but I'm thinking we'll have a decent crowd, at least compared to previous first round games.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM

so very true and hopefully we will need to add to that case in about a month!

McNeese_beat
November 14th, 2007, 12:03 AM
suddenly, i dont feel so bad. there are about 5 teams that we could beat attendance-wise.

You guys need a stadium. If you had a 10k seat stadium, do you think you'd draw much better?

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 12:31 AM
You guys need a stadium. If you had a 10k seat stadium, do you think you'd draw much better?

there is no doubt in my mind. alumni stadium is very unattractive and un-welcoming to spectators. to be quite honest, to the players as well. it's definately time to upgrade. i think our new president, sessoms has his sights set on it though, seeing as though we got a grant and built a new gynasium for our b-ball team.

appstate38
November 14th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Man I guess we would get rid of the track except our track teams are pretty good. They deserve a nice place to run. Plus it serves as a distraction to our opponents who don't have anything else to pick on our facilities about.xbawlingx

JoltinJoe
November 14th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Not that the Rock isn't a real stadium but I have a hard time believing that a stadium is "big time" (not saying that UNI is) if there is:

Just this guys opinion.

Depends on how expensive your real estate is.

The Fordham campus sits on some of the most expensive real estate in the world so it makes economic sense to have a multi-sport facility.

Dedicating a significant portion of the campus to a single-sport facility is not the highest and best use of the land in question.

APPride
November 14th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Thanksgiving kills app as well... most of the fans(non students) that come to asu games come from 2+ hours charlotte, raleigh etc. also students are notorious for not coming back in time for the game... it doesnt help when dorms dont open back up till sunday:( but last year they did open them up early which helped a little...

I think we will have good attendance this year for 1st game. We live 1:55 out and will be there Fri or Sat for sure...fans have too much invested this year to stay away, students included...they will keep campus open again this year which is a huge help...I think the last few years our fans really get it when it comes to being a part of the whole App effort...

APPride
November 14th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Just this guys opinion.

not that the facilities so much being big time but what has changed is continual sellouts/overflow crowds, huge tailgating all over town 4-5 hrs b-4 every game and definately the home winning % is huge... + its a beautiful mountain setting on campus matched by few others...

ButlerGSU
November 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Man I guess we would get rid of the track except our track teams are pretty good. They deserve a nice place to run. Plus it serves as a distraction to our opponents who don't have anything else to pick on our facilities about.xbawlingx

I think the dirt concourse and port-a-potties gives them plenty of ammo regarding KBS

xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
November 14th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Depends on how expensive your real estate is.

The Fordham campus sits on some of the most expensive real estate in the world so it makes economic sense to have a multi-sport facility.

Dedicating a significant portion of the campus to a single-sport facility is not the highest and best use of the land in question.

that is certainly a good reason to have a multisport facility but another is definately geography... if there is no land to build on what can you do...

AlphaSigMD
November 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I think the dirt concourse and port-a-potties gives them plenty of ammo regarding KBS

xsmiley_wix

We have a dirt concourse?

I know I'll be driving about 11 hours to be at the thanksgiving weekend game. Some things are just worth travelling for.

Barnstormer
November 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM
7746 for the game against Eastern Washington in '05. It was quite pathetic.

In fact, UNI only averaged 10628 for home attendance that year, and that includes 15536 that went to the Southern Illinois game. The one thing that frustrates me about Northern Iowa is the lackluster attendance we've had in the past. Even when the team is playing great!

However, this year the community has really stepped up and gotten behind the Panthers. I'm not sure that there will be another sellout for the first round game, what with the holiday and all, but I'm thinking we'll have a decent crowd, at least compared to previous first round games.

True, we have been rocking this year. Especially when you consider Iowa is 90 minutes away and Iowa State is also 90 minutes away. Their stadiums are a little bigger then ours. :)

ButlerGSU
November 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
We have a dirt concourse?

I know I'll be driving about 11 hours to be at the thanksgiving weekend game. Some things are just worth travelling for.

Yup.

gsueaglefan
November 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
wow our 27k sure sticks out like a sore thumb!

itll be interesting to see how many show up for any possible home playoff games... the first weekend would be great to see 10 or 12k especially if on a friday... second weekend on more like 18k would be good!

hope that number doesn't go back to normal next season...after you fail to win the NC xsmiley_wix

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM
This discussion is what worries me about our proposed stadium. Yes, it will be good to get back on campus for the first time in 80 years, but having to go from 21,300 to 9,000 (local politics) will put a damper on our chances at overbidding to get a home game.

Most likely scenario is 3-4 years after it is built we remove the track and add 3-4k seats. Still not sure that would put us in the race for a home game. May have to wait for a second expansion.

Of course, it won't matter unless we keep making the playoffs, or if we starting getting a seed every year.:D

Just curious is there a team that routinely gets a seed but rarely exceeds 10k in attendance in any regular season game? (I'm sure the NCAA would love that!xoopsx )

ButlerGSU
November 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM
This discussion is what worries me about our proposed stadium. Yes, it will be good to get back on campus for the first time in 80 years, but having to go from 21,300 to 9,000 (local politics) will put a damper on our chances at overbidding to get a home game.

Most likely scenario is 3-4 years after it is built we remove the track and add 3-4k seats. Still not sure that would put us in the race for a home game. May have to wait for a second expansion.

Of course, it won't matter unless we keep making the playoffs, or if we starting getting a seed every year.:D

Just curious is there a team that routinely gets a seed but rarely exceeds 10k in attendance in any regular season game? (I'm sure the NCAA would love that!xoopsx )

UNH did it a year or two ago, their game looked pretty terrible on ESPN because it is tiny and basically a mud hole behind the visitor stands.

eaglesrthe1
November 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM

xsmiley_wix

Don't forget the concession stands.

http://www.nationalvendingvehicles.org/images/800Cart.jpg