PDA

View Full Version : Delaware 56 v Richmond 62 5OT : Greatest 1-AA Game Ever?

BlueHenBoy
November 13th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Was this the greatest 1-AA football game of all time? I haven't been around for too long, so maybe some of the old guard can reach back into their memory and pull some out. I was there and witnessed it, so it's an easy yes for me. I think that anyone that was there will also say yes. For me, if this game had been televised it would easily be the greatest of all time.

We you look at the game it certainly had the excitement factor, based on the scoreline and the 5 Overtimes. It was played in one of the top 2 stadiums in Division 1-AA. It also had the star power too, with Hightower, Cuff and Flacco, possibly 3 first team all americans. And it had the twists and turns, such as Striefsky missing his first field goal all season and the sweful spots the referees gave. Lastly, the game also had a lot of meaning. It decided who one the CAA South and also helped form playoff seeding.

Thoughts?

SuperEagle
November 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Was this the greatest 1-AA football game of all time? I haven't been around for too long, so maybe some of the old guard can reach back into their memory and pull some out. I was there and witnessed it, so it's an easy yes for me. I think that anyone that was there will also say yes. For me, if this game had been televised it would easily be the greatest of all time. Thoughts?
I'm biased of course but I would have to go with the 1985 National Title game between GSU and Furman. GSU won 44-42 scoring the winning TD with only 10 seconds left. We were down by 22 in the 3rd quarter alone before starting our comeback. And to do it in a National Championship game was truly awesome. High scoring come from behind game where both teams went back and forth all night. And it was for the National Title.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
asu furman any of about three games in the last few years including 02 in boone, 04 in boone and 05 in greenville come to mind as a few

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Don't know, I couldn't watch it because it wasn't on TV... :(

cougarpines
November 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Was this the greatest 1-AA football game of all time? I haven't been around for too long, so maybe some of the old guard can reach back into their memory and pull some out. I was there and witnessed it, so it's an easy yes for me. I think that anyone that was there will also say yes. For me, if this game had been televised it would easily be the greatest of all time. Thoughts?

Agreed, I was there too. It is a shame there is no visual record of it in it's entirety. I have the 03 Champ. game and Navy. No TV, no tape that I am aware of.

BlueHenBoy
November 13th, 2007, 02:14 PM
When you guys list games could say the reasons they were better and the socreline for the games.

SuperEagle
November 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm biased of course but I would have to go with the 1985 National Title game between GSU and Furman. GSU won 44-42 scoring the winning TD with only 10 seconds left. We were down by 22 in the 3rd quarter alone before starting our comeback. And to do it in a National Championship game was truly awesome. High scoring come from behind game where both teams went back and forth all night. And it was for the National Title.
I failed to mention that there were 5 lead changes in the 4th quarter alone. And GSU put up 38 second half points. The 4th quarter went back and forth and fortunately we had the ball last. The final drive also included a huge 4th down pass.

lizrdgizrd
November 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Can't vote. Didn't see the game. xcoffeex

Rob Iola
November 13th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Maybe the greatest FCS game ever, assuming you mean to only include FCS schools. Going back in time for 1-AA there are any number of games that could qualify.

ASU over Michigan has to be the greatest ever if you "allow in" FBS schools.

mcveyrl
November 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I listened to the game on the radio as I was driving through Richmond. First of all, the Richmond broadcasters didn't help the game's chances. But, I'll also say that I believe there are other games that are greater.

One of the reasons is that I've pretty much sold myself on the fact that both of these teams will probably make the playoffs, so the importance factor of the game was low. I understand that it had an impact on the CAA championship and auto-bid, but I think there are some playoff games that trump it.

I think the national championship game above gets the nod, I also think that ASU-UNI gets the nod over this game.

Keep in mind, too, that this game, to me, was marred by the bad call at the end (I think I've seen at least one UD poster on here confirm that the call was bad). Also, the missed FG to win hurts its chances as a great game for me only because great games are measured by good play, not poor play (although I will grant that the fact that the kicker had not missed a FG all year boosts the factor a little bit).

It was a great game, but I don't know about the greatest.

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Too many other games to think this is #1 IMO. I'm not even sure it is Delaware's greatest game ever. I can think of some Villanova games that may top it, W&M's comeback in the 2004 playoffs, the games at Wa-Griz and Youngstown, the McNeese false start playoff game...

appstate38
November 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Opinions will vary so it is hard to argue one way or the other because most of us didn't get to enjoy the game in person. Now if we just look at the line score then we think WOW must have been the best ever! But for my money I would rather see 2 stout defenses put on a great show than see over 100 points scored. Certainly big plays abound in this contest, and it kept all in the stadium on the edge of their seats. Can't say BEST EVER though.

AggieFinn
November 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM
2004: UC Davis 36 - Cal Poly 33 Story here (http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/FOOTBALL/History/2004/summaries/game08.html)
2007: NDSU 31 - Cal Poly 28 Story here (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/breakingnews/story/189788.html)
2005: UC Davis 20 - Stanford 17 Story here (http://www.ucdavis.edu/spotlight/0905/ags_stun_stanford.html)
2007: App State 34 - Michigan 32 Story here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272440130)

http://www.dateline.ucdavis.edu/photos_images/dateline_images/092305/Amosweb.jpg

Great game, but plenty more where that came from...too hard to compare, so many good ones.

Maroons
November 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I would nominate these games as two of the best I-AA/FCS games EKU has played in... especially because a lot was riding on each game.

1980 National Championship
Boise State 31, EKU 29
Colonels take a 29-24 lead with 55 seconds remaining before Boise gets the ball back and converts a fourth and goal from the 16 to win the game as time expires. Perhaps the greatest game winning march in a I-AA/FCS title game.

Or how about...
1979 semifinal game
EKU 33, Nevada-Reno 30 (2ot)
Nevada storms back from a 23-3 deficit to tie as EKU blocks the extra point attempt with 39 seconds left. EKU won the game on a field goal in the second OT and went on to beat Lehigh 30-7 in the national championship.

MSU_77
November 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Great games don't need to be high-scoring. An example might be Youngstown State's 10-9 NCG victory over McNeese in 1997.

AZGrizFan
November 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Why? just because it went to 5 OT's? I think not... ;)

LacesOut
November 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM
It was a fun and entertaining game. But not anywhere close to the greatest.

BlueHen86
November 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Too many other games to think this is #1 IMO. I'm not even sure it is Delaware's greatest game ever. I can think of some Villanova games that may top it, W&M's comeback in the 2004 playoffs, the games at Wa-Griz and Youngstown, the McNeese false start playoff game...

November 27, 1993 49-48 over Montana is the greatest UD I've ever seen either on TV or in person.

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Why? just because it went to 5 OT's? I think not... ;)

No, because it's DELAWARE, DUH!!! xrolleyesx You know, the greatest team in ALL the land!!! xcoolx

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
It was a fun and entertaining game. But not anywhere close to the greatest.

Wasn't that your first UD game in a couple years LO?

LacesOut
November 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Wasn't that your first UD game in a couple years LO?

Nope. The JMU game was. I'm a horrible alum, I know. LOL

Big Dawg
November 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Nah...if we're talking about OT games..one that comes to mind is the 1996 Circle City Classic...FAMU 59 Hampton 58 6OT(before OT was changed)

Talk about back and forth..

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM
My first thought was the game they kept comparing it to on the radio: the 2003 Delaware-UMass game. Hens and Minutemen would both finish with 1loss after UD finally took the victory in the 3rd OT. I think that game finished 48-47, but someone will have to correct me on that.

Some others that come to mind as well:
SHSU-EWU, 2004 Playoffs
UD-W&M, 2004 Playoffs
and if I remember right, EWU-UNI, 2004 Playoffs
Man, what a playoffs 2004 was xreadx

I'd also nominate Colgate-WIU, 2003 Quarters. Best game I've ever seen in person. The 28-27 win, the goalposts, the late TD, and the snow :D

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Nah...if we're talking about OT games..one that comes to mind is the 1996 Circle City Classic...FAMU 59 Hampton 58 6OT(before OT was changed)

Talk about back and forth..
What was the OT format? Just no going for two mandatory?

Big Dawg
November 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
What was the OT format? Just no going for two mandatory?

I forgot how much time was allowed for each overtime period...I have it on tape somewhere...The game lasted about 5 or 6, maybe close to 7 hours...It was a LONG GAME

Going for two was not mandatory.

Petrie Dish
November 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM
My first thought was the game they kept comparing it to on the radio: the 2003 Delaware-UMass game. Hens and Minutemen would both finish with 1loss after UD finally took the victory in the 3rd OT. I think that game finished 48-47, but someone will have to correct me on that.

SHSU-EWU, 2004 Playoffs
UD-W&M, 2004 Playoffs

I'd also nominate Colgate-WIU, 2003 Quarters. Best game I've ever seen in person. The 28-27 win, the goalposts, the late TD, and the snow :D

EWU-UNI was in 2005

Go...gate
November 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I would put 2007 Delaware-Richmond up with 1992 Holy Cross-Lehigh. In that game, both teams played heroically and HC, ranked [I believe] #3, won 43-42. That was another unbelievable game that neither team deserved to lose.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM

SHSU-EWU, 2004 Playoffs
UD-W&M, 2004 Playoffs

how much?

that is one thing i would love to see before i graduate here in boone and this is my senior year... man i would love a snow game!

ngineer
November 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Who can ever say. My vote will always go to the 43-42 Holy Cross win over Lehigh at Goodman Stadium---which has been voted the #2 greatest game ever played there. Game tied 7-7 at the half and then total offensive bedlam. Lehigh scores late on the 'fumblerooski' play with the guard picking up the 'fumbled' snap while everyone is following the QB. Lehigh missed the two point conversion, however.
The Richmond-Delaware game sounds great as well....I just 'wasn't there'..;)

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
how much?

I'd say about at least a foot during the course of the game itself, and that was in addition to what was already on the ground from the past couple of weeks.

It was our 2nd snow game in as many weeks, the week before being the playoff opener when we beat UMass. But don't ask them about it... xlolx

Big Dawg
November 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
what time did you all get home?

I listened to it and watched it on tape delay. I remember the game starting at either 3 or 4 and the game coming on tape delay later that night and the original game was still being played.

I was looking at the footage played earlier and listening to the live game on the radio.

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM
November 27, 1993 49-48 over Montana is the greatest UD I've ever seen either on TV or in person.

Another great one that year: Oct 9, 1993. #2 UD @ 2-3 JMU. JMU pulls the monster upset as JMU QB Mike Cawley carried it in from a few yards out with it was under a minute to play- think it might have been under 30 seconds. xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Another great one that year: Oct 9, 1993. 5-0 #2 UD @ 2-3 JMU. JMU pulls the monster upset as JMU QB Mike Cawley carried it in from a few yards out with it was under a minute to play- think it might have been under 30 seconds. xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Maybe the greatest for JMU fans would be the 04' quarterfinals at Furman. JMU was down 13-7. Drove 74 yards (after a penalty at the beginning of the drive it was a 2nd & 22 on JMU's 14) in 12 plays/4:43 to score with 28 seconds left on 4th and goal from the 1. I have never seen that much pandemonium among JMU fans before.

Furman was the best team JMU had faced all year. Mickey said that, and from the 9 games I saw that year, including all 4 playoff games, I believe that to be the case. If Furman had one that game (they were the #2 seed behind undefeated SIU who got knocked out in the 1st round) there's no doubt in my mind they would have gone on to beat W&M in the semis and Montana in the NC game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=243390231

KiddBrewer
November 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM
asu furman 2004 aka "The Richie Williams Show"

JALMOND
November 14th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I'd say not even the best this season. My pick for that was Weber State/Portland State this year, 73-68 and we didn't even need OT for those points. If you think there was no defense played, WSU was ahead 17-14 halfway through the second quarter, then the floodgates opened. Hubel for PSU threw for 9 TD's and no interceptions, Higgins for WSU had 7 TD's and only 2 INT's. Both only freshmen and a sure sign of years to come in the Big Sky.

crunifan
November 14th, 2007, 01:11 AM
UNI and SIU have had some pretty amazing games in the past few years. Particularly the Dome's bienniel classic, 2003, 2005, 2007, and I'm sure 2009,etc.

HIU 93
November 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM
If you are considering it great because of overtimes, we played FAMU to 6 overtimes in 1996. We lost 59-58. I didn't see the game you are speaking of, but I generally don't like such high scoring games. I like to see defense being played.

ChickenMan
November 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM
1993.. 1st round of the playoffs... at Missoula..

Delaware 49 Montana 48

I'm sure all Griz fans will agree... :D