PDA

View Full Version : Big South

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Can someone tell me all the teams in the big south as of next season?

andy7171
November 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Liberty
Coastal Carolina
VMI
Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
Presbytirian College
Stoney Brook

I think that's it.

Sly Fox
November 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Sure. Officially these are the football schools:

Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian (Provisional I-AA Member not eligible for championship)
Stony Brook
VMI

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Stoney Brook isnt elieible for a championship either than are they?

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Stoney Brook isnt elieible for a championship either than are they?

Yes they are. Stony Brook (note...not StonEy) has been IAA for a long time now in the NEC. Just a conference change for SBU, not a divisional change.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Sure. Officially these are the football schools:

Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian (Provisional I-AA Member not eligible for championship)
Stony Brook
VMI

still have not and never will figure out why geographically it made since for stony to join the big south... xrolleyesx

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
still have not and never will figure out why geographically it made since for stony to join the big south... xrolleyesx

Doesn't make sense at all. It made sense when it looked like the Big South would be a yearly at-large competitor and the next in line for an auto-bid. But since that's not the case (NEC looks to be the next conference to get an auto-bid), Stony admin is probably kicking themselves as we speak.

gophoenix
November 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Doesn't make sense at all. It made sense when it looked like the Big South would be a yearly at-large competitor and the next in line for an auto-bid. But since that's not the case (NEC looks to be the next conference to get an auto-bid), Stony admin is probably kicking themselves as we speak.

Boy, you guys are on a roll aren't you..... how many teams can you talk badly about in a one week period.

Maybe Stony Brook wants the better competition. As bad as the Big South was this year, they are still better than well, all of the NEC except for you. And with that being the case, I wouldn't be so sure the NEC gets an auto before the Big South.

Seawolf97
November 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Stonybrook wanted to build toward a full scholarship program now rather than later. The NEC has a limit for now of 30 scholarships per team - Stonybrook is at 45 now and will be over 50 in 2008. This move allows us to play higher level competition both in conference and non conference. Since there are no available openings in any conference in the Northeast the Big South is a good move. It gives our program exposure in the Southeast and allows other member teams exposure in the New york metro area. Im sure we will be in the thick of it come next year.

Dane96
November 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Boy, you guys are on a roll aren't you..... how many teams can you talk badly about in a one week period.

Maybe Stony Brook wants the better competition. As bad as the Big South was this year, they are still better than well, all of the NEC except for you. And with that being the case, I wouldn't be so sure the NEC gets an auto before the Big South.

Dude shut the F up already. You are annoying. Stony Brook is our rivals. Most Dane fans have family members that go or play there. Some of us have friends in the athletic dept.

More important, we have been conference members with them for A LOOOOOONG time...so we know what goes on.

Fact is, their AD said one of the reasons for going to the Big South was the 2010 auto bid that he was sure they would get. The other reason, as Seawolf97 pointed out, was the scholarship situation.

Stony Brook is hemmoraghing HUGE $$ and are extremely close to being non-Title IX complaint. They dont have the influx of $$$ to keep up with an 18m budget. They are paying nearly 300k a year hoop coach who tried to leave the program this year. These are all facts. Moving to the full scholarship level allows them to play FBS teams to help pay for the athletic program's drunken sailor spending spree.

Staying local is IMPORTANT to them...and this was a marriage of convienence. If the NEC gets an auto before the Big South...there will be MANY with in the administration who wish they didnt make the move. Remember, this move was approved by an OUT-GOING PRESIDENT whom AD FIORE shares an amazing relationship with.

Albany was offered the same move but we declined. It would be great playing Rutgers like Stony Brook is.

Either way...we wish our BRETHREN WELL.

You on the other hand...have zero insight on the situation.

danefan
November 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM

First and foremost. Its not knocking the Stony Brook team, its a knock on the administration, which I have every right in the world to do. I've said it a million times that SBU's move was rushed by the administration. They are our sister school and biggest rival. Albany had the chance to join them in the BS and decided against it. This is not a knock on the team at all. I've already said many times that I think SBU will make noise in the Big South and may even win it next year.

Secondly, when the expansion happens (yes, it's a "when" and not an "if" in my book), the NEC will get an AQ. Plain and simple. The Big South isn't eligible until 2010 and if you think that expansion doesn't happen before that, you're in denial.

Sly Fox
November 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Whatever you UA fans need to tell yourself to justify staying low scholie in a dying league is great.

As for SB stepping in and immediately winning the Big South, that's possible by highly unlikely. I'm anxious to see how they fare when they join our ranks next fall.

Dane96
November 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Hey Sly, remember when you said it was "A DONE DEAL" the Danes were supposed to be in the Big South.

Remember when we said "UMMMM....No, no we are not."

Right. Fact is, we have a standing offer from the Big South to join. Albany is spending our money on an entire sports program...instead of just football. We are building our football program at our pace.

And DYING LEAGUE? Ummm...the league is getting better, not worse.

Sly Fox
November 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I would be surprised if that standing offer remains from the Big South. The league has its numbers and it no longer needs the Danes.

As for the info I shared, it turned out to be only partially accurate. Oh well.

xsmiley_wix

CSU Girl
November 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
As I have said before, I am excited to have Stony Brook enter the Big South. It gives me one extra game to go to and not travel very far. UA there was rumor you guys might join us but I guess you decided not to. Will the rivalry remain once Stony enters our conference or will it die out?

danefan
November 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
As I have said before, I am excited to have Stony Brook enter the Big South. It gives me one extra game to go to and not travel very far. UA there was rumor you guys might join us but I guess you decided not to. Will the rivalry remain once Stony enters our conference or will it die out?

Unfortunately, it appears that the rivalry for football will be put on hold for now. We aren't scheduled to play SBU for the next three years.xsmhx

Albany didn't join because the admin decided that the burdens of all that travel outweighed the benefits of being at fully scholly right now. We have had the ability to go to full scholly for some time now, but the administration didn't feel like the BSC was the place to do it. They obviously felt the same way about going Indy. Nothing against the BSC or SBU, but it just didn't fit in Albany's plan. Albany and SBU will end up in the same place in 3 or 4 years, they will have just taken different paths. Albany fans will argue their path is right and I'm sure SBU fans may argue the other way. The SBU admins have been trying for years to beat UA to the punch. A lot of folks, not just Albany people, but others too, think that SBU may have rushed into a decision here. Only time will tell though.

Dane96
November 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM
CSU Girl, the rivalry with Stony Brook will NEVER...EVER die out. If it does the figure could be squarely pointed at their AD FIORE. He has stated, no self-proclaimed, that Stony Brook is the "EVIL EMPIRE OF THE AMERICA EAST."

Guy is out of his mind, so who knows what he will do. The rivalry is not just in-state, but a bitter brother/brother type game. For y'all South of the Mason Dixon line...it is Blue vs. Grey.

Next year, the game is off because there was a scheduling conflict on our part, but the game is supposed to return in 2009.

All that being said, some of those chiming in this thread don't know the details, however NO DANE FAN questioned the competition of the Big South, however we question the benefit of joining due to rivlaries and distance/cost.

Believe me, if we were Virginia based and anywhere South, I would have said go for it.

I would not be surpised, however, for OOC games with Big South schools and the Danes.

Dane96
November 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Danefan...you sure about the three year thing? I was told it was for next year only.

If so...that would SUCK...and Fiore is a freaking idiot.

BTW, you make good pts. about Stony making the move. They almost HAD to. This is a 8 year old DI program with virtually ZERO fan base and ZERO revenue. They have had no major NCAA appearances that bring big $$$ to the coffers (like Albany's two straight March Madness trips--help subsidize the program).

The are, according to the latest OPE, spending 20mm a year. To put this in prosepective, UMASS spends 20m and Boston College spends 45+m.

They both bring in revenue...SBU does not. They need the guarantee games with the Rutgers of the world to help subsidize their drunken sailor spending.

danefan
November 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Danefan...you sure about the three year thing? I was told it was for next year only.

If so...that would SUCK...and Fiore is a freaking idiot.

I'm trying to find it now. I thought I read three years in a TU article.

danefan
November 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
....as of now, UAlbany (1-3) and Stony Brook (3-2) aren't scheduled to play each other for the next three seasons.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=627790&category=SPORTS&newsdate=10/6/2007

danefan
November 14th, 2007, 09:17 AM
stony creek in the big south? dem yankees aint gonna know what hit'em the first time they play at CSU in september! de heat alone will kill em!

I have to imagine SBU is going to run into a lot of that type of sentiment on their travels down south as well.

.......until of course they run the table.xsmiley_wix

Dane96
November 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I have to imagine SBU is going to run into a lot of that type of sentiment on their travels down south as well.

.......until of course they run the table.xsmiley_wix

Most southerners do not realize that Stony Brook is located somewhere that is even more foreign to Northerners than the South for us:

STRRRRRONG EYELAND BABY!

(For the record, I wish Brooklyn was its own city--1896 was a horrible year--and not located on Long Island).

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
stony creek in the big south? dem yankees aint gonna know what hit'em the first time they play at CSU in september! de heat alone will kill em!

Actually I think our game against Charleston Southern is in October at Stonybrook in 2008. I expect we will more than 1 conference game - maybe 3 or 4 even. It should be an interesting season next year- you will like Long Island . Three million people living on top of each other and everyone has 2 cars.
To the Albany poster born in Brooklyn - count me in from Greenpoint-PS 110 graduate and went to high school on Long Island. Cant beat Brooklynxnodx

Dane96
November 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Actually I think our game against Charleston Southern is in October at Stonybrook in 2008. I expect we will more than 1 conference game - maybe 3 or 4 even. It should be an interesting season next year- you will like Long Island . Three million people living on top of each other and everyone has 2 cars.
To the Albany poster born in Brooklyn - count me in from Greenpoint-PS 110 graduate and went to high school on Long Island. Cant beat Brooklynxnodx

PS 194, IS 14, and Sheepshead Bay H.S. (I failed my Hunter High test on purpose).

Thankfully, my parents didnt move to Valley Stream in the early 80's like they were supposed to. Would not have minded Suffolk County though.

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
PS 194, IS 14, and Sheepshead Bay H.S. (I failed my Hunter High test on purpose).

Thankfully, my parents didnt move to Valley Stream in the early 80's like they were supposed to. Would not have minded Suffolk County though.

Parents moved to Lindenhurst way back when. Went to Lindenhurst High School and on to Buffalo State. Had lots of relatives in Greenpoint- Morgan Avenue, Russell Street and Nassua Avenue. Took my grown daughter back there a few years ago - showed her old neighborhood just off the BQE - she couldnt beleive itxlolx

UAalum72
November 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
if'n they only beat vmi every year dey will be a-ok in ma book! brawk!
What are you, some kinda combination of Citdog and Mr. Chicken?

Actually I think Fiore only said his GOAL was to be the Evil Empire, but close enough.

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM
What are you, some kinda combination of Citdog and Mr. Chicken?

Actually I think Fiore only said his GOAL was to be the Evil Empire, but close enough.

Could be related to both?xcoffeex

CSU Girl
November 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM
CSU Girl, the rivalry with Stony Brook will NEVER...EVER die out. If it does the figure could be squarely pointed at their AD FIORE. He has stated, no self-proclaimed, that Stony Brook is the "EVIL EMPIRE OF THE AMERICA EAST."

Guy is out of his mind, so who knows what he will do. The rivalry is not just in-state, but a bitter brother/brother type game. For y'all South of the Mason Dixon line...it is Blue vs. Grey.

Next year, the game is off because there was a scheduling conflict on our part, but the game is supposed to return in 2009.

All that being said, some of those chiming in this thread don't know the details, however NO DANE FAN questioned the competition of the Big South, however we question the benefit of joining due to rivlaries and distance/cost.

Believe me, if we were Virginia based and anywhere South, I would have said go for it.

I would not be surpised, however, for OOC games with Big South schools and the Danes.

What can of atmosphere can we expect to see at SB? What are the fans like? How is their team? Is SB playing Youngstown next season as well?

CSU Girl
November 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM

You are correct, CSU will be at SB on Oct 18, 2008, I cant wait! I live in NYC, so I will be bringing as many friends as possible to help with the fan section.

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM
What can of atmosphere can we expect to see at SB? What are the fans like? How is their team? Is SB playing Youngstown next season as well?

Our non conference schedule in 2008 has us home against Colgate, Hofstra and Elon. Road games at Brown and Maine. Im not sure if we will play a 12th game in 2008-although everyone seems to be scheduling a 12th game.
Stonybrook fans are pretty good and the atmosphere on game day is pretty upbeat. Our stadium is small by southern standards only seats 8200 but you have a good view anywhere in the house and plenty of fan comforts.
As for the team we are 6-4 right now and facing Elon this Saturday at Elon. Looking forward to next year as well should be a good one.

CSU Girl
November 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Our non conference schedule in 2008 has us home against Colgate, Hofstra and Elon. Road games at Brown and Maine. Im not sure if we will play a 12th game in 2008-although everyone seems to be scheduling a 12th game.
Stonybrook fans are pretty good and the atmosphere on game day is pretty upbeat. Our stadium is small by southern standards only seats 8200 but you have a good view anywhere in the house and plenty of fan comforts.
As for the team we are 6-4 right now and facing Elon this Saturday at Elon. Looking forward to next year as well should be a good one.

umm, CSU has a small stadium and SuperJon will insult us but we are trying to build the program to get better facilities.

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM
people put the big south down but i, personally, am a fan of them even though coastal put up a lack-luster performance against us and liberty this year i think they will be a force in a season or two. stony brook gets their job done and will be a good addition.

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
umm, CSU has a small stadium and SuperJon will insult us but we are trying to build the program to get better facilities.

The good thing is our stadium is designed for growth. When you see it you will see that there is room on the visitors side and behind the main scoreboard for expansion. They could probably go to 12 or 13 thousand seats with a little work. The cool thing is the field it self is 12 feet below grade so it is almost a bowl stadium. They had to do that for noise and satisfy the locals when it opened in 2002. It does have lights, jumbo tron and is used for soccer and lacrosse games also.

terrierbob
November 14th, 2007, 03:37 PM
What does a conference need to do to get an AQ berth?

CSU Girl
November 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM
The good thing is our stadium is designed for growth. When you see it you will see that there is room on the visitors side and behind the main scoreboard for expansion. They could probably go to 12 or 13 thousand seats with a little work. The cool thing is the field it self is 12 feet below grade so it is almost a bowl stadium. They had to do that for noise and satisfy the locals when it opened in 2002. It does have lights, jumbo tron and is used for soccer and lacrosse games also.

That sounds awesome! Seeing you in less than a year!

CSU Girl
November 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM
MILLS WILL GET IT DONE IN LADSON IF CSU CAN HOLD ONTO HIM.

xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM

good point, i never thought about it like that. now that i think about it, there is plenty room at alumni stadium for more build.

danefan
November 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
What does a conference need to do to get an AQ berth?

A conference needs to be eligible and apply. Every year the FCS championship committee picks the top 8 conferences that have applied after evaluation according to the following factors:

1. Nonconference records;
2. Strength of nonconference opponents;
3. Recent postseason history; and
4. Competition against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents.

This is viewed by almost everyone as a rubber stamp process. Meaning no real evaluation is done (or arguably has needed to be done). The only eligible conference to ever apply and be denied was the NEC.

A great reference (and rather easy read) is the FCS Handbook:
http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2007/2007_d1_football_handbook.pdf

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM
good point, i never thought about it like that. now that i think about it, there is plenty room at alumni stadium for more build.

The locals in Stonybrook are kind of stuffy so when word was out that a football stadium was going to be built the protest signs were being painted. Concerns were noise, night games with lights and every Long Islander's enemy more traffic. So the below grade design came about-you can barely see it until you are right on top of it. The teams go through tunnels from the locker rooms right onto the field.

danefan
November 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Great FCS stadium! Gets surprisingly loud too!

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ston/non-sport/facilities/lavalle-stadium.jpg
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ston/non-sport/facilities/seawolves-stadium-exterior.jpg

Seawolf97
November 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Great FCS stadium! Gets surprisingly loud too!

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ston/non-sport/facilities/lavalle-stadium.jpg
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ston/non-sport/facilities/seawolves-stadium-exterior.jpg

Thank You! Realy Hope yours gets going soon xthumbsupx xthumbsupx