PDA

View Full Version : FCS notes: Norfolk State still hopes for at-large berth

R.A.
November 12th, 2007, 09:42 PM
FCS notes: Norfolk State still hopes for at-large berth
The Spartans still have to beat Winston-Salem State on Saturday.
BY MARTY O'BRIEN | 247-4963
5:27 PM EST, November 12, 2007

A 28-21 overtime loss at Delaware State on Saturday denied Norfolk State a share of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference title and an automatic Football Championship Subdivision playoff berth.

The Spartans (7-3) still hope to receive an at-large berth if they win their final regular-season game Saturday at home against Winston-Salem State.

"We certainly should be considered," Spartans coach Pete Adrian said Monday. "We're one of several teams in the same boat."

Continue reading this story at:http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-fcsnotes1112,0,634601.story

A Hampton victory over Southern Illinois will help Norfolk State's case, should the Spartans defeat the Wiston Salem State. Norfolk State beat Hampton.

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
They'll need a lot of help, but they do need to be on people's radar. And a Hampton win over SIU would absolutely help their cause.

appfan2008
November 12th, 2007, 09:54 PM
they had slipped off of my radar but i guess they are still an option for sure

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Norfolk State can call up South Carolina State and get a sense of what they are looking at...I was on the NSU bandwagon for a playoff spot and the MEAC having two, but I'm not there anymore...

LehighFan11
November 12th, 2007, 10:16 PM
All you need to know about Norfolk State's chances of getting an at large bid is that their final game is against Winston Salem State

R.A.
November 12th, 2007, 10:47 PM
And, some of my MEAC Schools still don't get it when it comes to DIIs. We're fighting an uphill battle each season to get At- Large Bids from our conference... and we're still scheduling DII teams.

We're knifing ourselves.

Intrepid
November 13th, 2007, 06:56 AM
NSU has a very small change of getting in...They played DII Virginia Military and lost to Howard.

KAUMASS
November 13th, 2007, 07:12 AM
If they win against WS, they are 8-3 with 7 D1 wins and will have a power ranking of about 50th. Never say never, but I don't see them getting in. There will be stronger 7-4 teams out there that have played tougher schedules.

andy7171
November 13th, 2007, 08:22 AM
All you need to know about Norfolk State's chances of getting an at large bid is that their final game is against Winston Salem State

Winston Salem isn't a patsy by any means.

That said, an 8-3 Norfolk State doesn't beat out an 8-3 or even a 7-4 CAA or SoCon team for a playoff spot.

bandl
November 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM
NSU has a very small change of getting in...They played DII Virginia Military and lost to Howard.

xlolx xlolx VMI isn't DII...they may PLAY like it, but they belong in the Big South. On second thought....maybe that whole conference is DII. xconfusedx

blukeys
November 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
And, some of my MEAC Schools still don't get it when it comes to DIIs. We're fighting an uphill battle each season to get At- Large Bids from our conference... and we're still scheduling DII teams.

We're knifing ourselves.

Very good Point!!!!!

R.A.
November 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM
xlolx xlolx VMI isn't DII...they may PLAY like it, but they belong in the Big South. On second thought....maybe that whole conference is DII. xconfusedx

xlolx

He ment Virginia State University.

Intrepid
November 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx Oops...my fault, I meant to write Virginia St....I don't know how I came up with Virginia Military...dang...xlolx xlolx xlolx

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM

We're knifing ourselves.

Winston-Salem State had to play several MEAC schools this year, as they are joining the MEAC next year.

Bulldog87
November 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Spartans will be home for the holidays. At least 8 teams will have to lose this weekend for NSU to have a chance. Coach Pette has this team on the right track though. They''ll be a force in a couple of years the way their going.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Norfolk State could be considered, but I've got to believe it's a very uphill battle for them. That loss to Howard is a killer, and their best wins are over 6-4 SCSU and 6-4 Hampton. Add to that they only would have 7 D-I wins, so *in theory* they would be behind a New Hampshire.