PDA

View Full Version : Does your school's team have an unofficial song from pop/rock music?

TheBisonator
November 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I was thinking about this topic, because I was driving in my car today and I heard AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" playing on the radio, and that made me get totally in the mood for the Bison game on Sat. for the Dakota Marker. "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC is basically the unofficial rock fight song of Bison football. The background music to the song is played on the video screen intro before every home game. It's been Bison Football's song for as long as I can remember.

I know there are other schools that have this kind of thing. I know Virginia Tech's song is "Enter Sandman" by Metallica. Wyoming's song is "Black Betty" by RamJam. Even the song for my old high school team when I played for them was "Down With The Sickness" by Disturbed.

Any other schools have an unofficial song?? I'd love to hear them.

patssle
November 12th, 2007, 07:53 PM
SHSU had a customed hip-hop song done specifically for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39vX7gq9MJw

eagle_13
November 12th, 2007, 07:54 PM
A GSU student/Hip Hop artist named "Slim Duddy" just recently recorded a song called Blue & White about GSU football. Check out his myspace page below and click on Blue & White in the media player.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=39558781

Not my type of music but I still think its kind of cool!

We used to play Machine Head by Bush during the pregame video...Thats more my speed!

GATA EAGLES!
ONE MORE TIME!

TheBisonator
November 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
What I'm talking about in this thread is not songs that are made specifically about your team, rather I'm talking about a song from mainstream music that fans identify with your program.

Ud1Hens
November 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Delaware starts jumping around in the tunnel while the smoke builds as Hells Bells begins. They enter the field to Down With the Sickness, when the guy screams.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Furman sports (not just football) come onto the field to "Rock you like a hurricane" which hearkens back to our old nickname as The Purple Hurricane.

AlphaSigMD
November 12th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Back in Black - AC/DC

MaroonMafia
November 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the Jungle!

SunCoastBlueHen
November 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Delaware starts jumping around in the tunnel while the smoke builds as Hells Bells begins. They enter the field to Down With the Sickness, when the guy screams.

...then the whole team breaks into the Chicken Dance at the 50 yard line. :p

McNeese72
November 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Well, McNeese incorporated Saliva's Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the Show in the pregame video introduction and it has grown on me.

It is in the second half of the pre-game video located here.

Tarver Media Productions (http://www.tarvermedia.com/)

Normally they play the first half of the video and the Mystery Rider enters the stadium. And then right before the team enters they play the video that has Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the Show.

Doc

Grizaholic17
November 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the Jungle!

Wow, that is probably the one. But the griz have so many. Country Boy by John Denver is a favorite, as well as the long time Cotton-eye Joe. The griz have way too many to list, but I would guess the Welcome to the Jungle is probably the most prominent.

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I could see UM incorporating Fiona Apple's Criminal for third downs when they are on D. "What I need is a good defense cause I'm fellin like a criminal".
xnodx "Perfect!" Katsumotoxnodx
http://www.tmsdancer.com/ken_watanabe/photos/katsumoto/katsumoto_removes_mask_closeup.jpg

Grizaholic17
November 12th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I could see UM incorporating Fiona Apple's Criminal for third downs when they are on D. "What I need is a good defense cause I'm fellin like a criminal".
http://www.tmsdancer.com/ken_watanabe/photos/katsumoto/katsumoto_removes_mask_closeup.jpg

Except we have a pretty dang good defense. The criminal one I agree with. Again, We know how to get dirty. No doubt about it. Just don't mess with us...you might not wanna know what will happen :p xpeacex

JaxSinfonian
November 12th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Jax State's basketball pep band a few years ago worked up a version of Outkast's "The Rooster" that's become a staple in Pete Mathews Coliseum. This year the Marching Southerners added it to their repertoire. I don't expect Outkast's version will ever play on our PA, as the lyrics don't quite fit a sports setting.

I've always thought Alice in Chains' "Rooster" would rock as a team anthem ( " ... Here they come to snuff the rooster ... Yeah here come the rooster, You know he ain't gonna die No, no, no ya know he ain't gonna die.") But no one else in Jacksonville seems to share my gen-x grunge sensibilities.

JaxSinfonian
November 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Well, McNeese incorporated Saliva's Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the Show in the pregame video introduction and it has grown on me.

Jax State has used the same song this for its pre-game intro video. Excellent use of the new video board. The song is very effective with the very well-produced video. We shot it with my wife's digital camera this weekend. I'll have to download it and get it up on YouTube to post here.

EmeryZach
November 12th, 2007, 10:15 PM
UMass has been playing "Crank Dat" by Soulja Boy before every kickoff and the players start dancing around and stuff. They usually pick a new one every year. Whatever the big hip hop song is at the time.

Eyes of Old Main
November 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Back in Black - AC/DC

Same for Wofford...

JaxSinfonian
November 12th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Jax State has used the same song this for its pre-game intro video ... I'll have to download it and get it up on YouTube to post here.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y7zw69CInE

Kill'em
November 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM
We have adopted, unofficially two remakes. The first is a Blind Willie tune redone by the Allman Brothers, "Statesboro Blues" and the other is the Steve Miller classic masterfully redone by Seal, "Fly Like an Eagle."

"Fly Like an Eagle" is really great because it is done during the pregame. The wildlife center has an Eagle that was found injured and nursed back to health. He is being trained to fly over the stadium. His distance is increased week-to-week to get used to the crowd noise. Come to find out, Eagles are very unforgiving birds and if something goes wrong it sets the training back all the way to the beginning. The flight is really inspiring and to see the grace of the eagle soaring throught the air is really a great sight.

JALMOND
November 13th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks to Glanville..."Back in Black" by AC/DC. Played at the start of every game as the team runs on to the field.

Have to admit, its better than the last one we had, "Who Let the Dogs Out!"

BearsCountry
November 13th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Missouri State's is Crank Dat by Soulja Boy

patssle
November 13th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Have to admit, its better than the last one we had, "Who Let the Dogs Out!"

xlolx

Panther FANatic
November 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM
As a player the two schools I rememeber for having super annoying songs was Southern Illinois and, "Who Let The Dogs Out" and at Montana seeing an entire stadium full of hillbillies dancing to "Cotton-Eye Joe"...

813Jag
November 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Our's is Do whatcha wanna by Rebirth Brass Band. It's played after every touchdown. It usually follows the fight song.

proasu89
November 13th, 2007, 10:33 AM
VMI's is "it's raining men"

xlolx Guessing CitDog was your smack coachxcoolx :p xwhistlex

GAD
November 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Can you do the dance that gos along with it?

HIU 93
November 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Somebody in your music department needs to be fired.xlolx

HIU 93
November 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Hampton, along with most HBCUs, plays a version of "Talking out the Side of Your Neck" by Cameo. That is the song that gets the players most hyped and gets the crowd up and cheering the most.

Grrrrriz
November 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I think my favorite ever was in 1995 when the Griz won the NC we used
BOOM BOOM OUT GO THE LIGHTS, by
George Thorogood. It was fitting.

lizrdgizrd
November 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Back in Black - AC/DC
Don't forget the intro is from Hell's Bells. xthumbsupx

813Jag
November 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM
That is one of the most annoying songs ever.

AggieFinn
November 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
UC Davis: Carry on my Wayward Son by Kansas

http://aggiefamilypack.ucdavis.edu/0407/images/picnic_day_band.jpg

BigApp
November 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MaximumBobcat
November 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM
During our 2005 playoff run we always played the "Ruff Ryders Anthem" and the student section would almost all get into the song. it was fun.

furman94
November 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Rock You Like a Hurricane...

lizrdgizrd
November 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Rock You Like a Hurricane...
You've gotten yourselves confused with the Carolina Hurricanes. xrotatehx xlolx

jmc_jackrabbit
November 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
South Dakota State's intro video this year uses Ozzy Osbourne's "I Don't Wanna Stop"

skinny_uncle
November 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
As a player the two schools I rememeber for having super annoying songs was Southern Illinois and, "Who Let The Dogs Out" and at Montana seeing an entire stadium full of hillbillies dancing to "Cotton-Eye Joe"...
I think Who Let The Dogs Out" was a one year phenomenon. The band uses a lot of rock and pop music. Personally, I'm getting tired of hearing "We're Not Gonna Take It" every time we get a penalty for the last few years. Fortunately, there have not been that many penalties this year.

Kill'em
November 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I think my favorite ever was in 1995 when the Griz won the NC we used
BOOM BOOM OUT GO THE LIGHTS, by
George Thorogood. It was fitting.

You're thinking of Pat Travers.

patssle
November 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
That is one of the most annoying songs ever.

No shiat. It has no beat...its not a song.

BigApp
November 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Last Caress--Metallica version

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Now that is a song! xnodx

Colgate doesn't have anything, the best we've got is a recording of the yelling from the Scots from "Braveheart." Would make no sense if you didn't see them playing the movie clip on the screen at the same time xrolleyesx

Kill'em
November 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM

http://aggiefamilypack.ucdavis.edu/0407/images/picnic_day_band.jpg

I heard a high school band do this a few weeks back. It was the first time I ever heard a marching band do it. It was great! I was tempted to pull out the ole air guitar.

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2007, 08:19 PM
UMass has been playing "Crank Dat" by Soulja Boy before every kickoff and the players start dancing around and stuff. They usually pick a new one every year. Whatever the big hip hop song is at the time.

So does Mo State.

Retro
November 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Mcneese's doesn't really use any notable songs, but i and others have suggested some of these that fit us good instead of the crap usually played..

Official Tailgating song: Have a Drink on me - AC/DC

Pre-Game:

I Should've been a cowboy - Toby Keith
I Wanna be a cowboy - Boy's Don't Cry
Modern Day Cowboy - Tesla (My fav)

End of game songs:

Silver, Blue & Gold - Bad Company
Cowboys Like us - George Strait
Happy Trails - Roy Rogers (I believe they played this after we left stadium this past week).

BearsCountry
November 13th, 2007, 09:33 PM
So does Mo State.

Coach Allen did the dance to it and halftime of one basketball exhibitions.

lizrdgizrd
November 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I heard a high school band do this a few weeks back. It was the first time I ever heard a marching band do it. It was great! I was tempted to pull out the ole air guitar.
The best band I've heard perform this was actually not even a full band. The trombone section of Florida State's band performed it during the Clemson/FSU game in '93. It was un-freakin'-believable. xeekx

wilson
November 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM

We used to play that in our band, it was a real fun song to play.

Kill'em
November 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Georgia Southern's band plays one of my favorite songs, ever, "25-or-6-to-4." That song really gets my adrenaline flowing and southern Pride does a great job with it.

ASUG8
November 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
South Dakota State's intro video this year uses Ozzy Osbourne's "I Don't Wanna Stop"

Awesome song - I'd like to see that.

trouthunter
November 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Sorry partner, we are on the wrong side of the Mississippi to be caste as mere hillbillies, I think we prefer Mountain Men xsmiley_wix

SunCoastBlueHen
November 14th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Georgia Southern's band plays one of my favorite songs, ever, "25-or-6-to-4." That song really gets my adrenaline flowing and southern Pride does a great job with it.

As song about being strung out on drugs? xconfusedx

Maybe that is appropriate for GSU, I don't know. :p

Kill'em
November 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I wouldn't know. I've never done drugs. It isn't the lyrics, it is the energy of the music. As for it being a Georgia Southern thing... xnonono2x

jstate83
November 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
"Get Ready" by the O'Jay's has been the "unofficial school" song's since the 1970's.
The band marches into and out of the stadium to it.

The video was shot from the opposite end of the stadium so the sound quality is not the best.xwhistlex

Get Ready.......Sonic Boom. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHkY6iUajY)

813Jag
November 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM
"Get Ready" by the O'Jay's has been the "unofficial school" song's since the 1970's.

The video was shot from the opposite end of the stadium so the sound quality is not the best.xwhistlex

I heard that song so much growing up I didn't realize y'all had a fight song until I got older. xlolx
That song scarred me for life. xsmhx

jstate83
November 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
:lol:

I heard that song so much growing up I didn't realize y'all had a fight song until I got older. xlolx
That song scarred me for life. xsmhx

Kid's around here be half way through middle school before they learn that "Get Ready" is not JSU's fight song. xlolx

People that live near JSU hear that song at least 2 times every night.
At 6pm when they march from the music hall to the practice field and again around 10pm when they are marching back from practice through the center of campus.

Purple For Life
November 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I know that "Hells Bells" starts playing before the team comes on the field, it gets the crowd ready for them to come out. I should take musical notes this weekend, though I don't know beans about rap music.

Eaglesrus
November 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM
For a sort of off-the-wall one, I love it when GSU gets well ahead late in a game (hasn't happened much lately:) ), the band breaks out the Swingin Medallions' old beach music classic Hey, Hey Baby and everybody sings along.

MR. CHICKEN
November 14th, 2007, 08:02 PM

"GET READY"....WAS BY DUH TEMPTATIONS...CIRCA 1966.......xwhistlex..AWK!

Mr. Tiger
November 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Good catch, Chicken. xflaggedx Personal Foul on jstate83 for saying the O'Jays song ''Get Ready''. xlolx By the way "Get Ready" is the official The Sonic Boom of the South Marching Band Theme Song. The fight song is different.

Cameo - Talkin' Out The Side Of Your Neck, I was wondering the name of that song. Almost every HBCU plays it and LSU plays it. I heard them rockin' it in the stands against Alabama. xnodx

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Cameo - Talkin' Out The Side Of Your Neck, I was wondering the name of that song. Almost every HBCU plays it and LSU plays it. I heard them rockin' it in the stands against Alabama. xnodx

Guess where they get it from xsmhx . Even stole the hand motion that the Jukebox does xsmhx .

For yall that don't understand check this out. This is an hour and half before the game.
http://vod.themarchingnetwork.com/search/su+neck/1/35bb2787-5dda-424b-a6c0-985f009b7d30.htm

Purple For Life
November 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Oh, I just remembered--it's not a song, but the crowd always goes insane when the outside weather is given, and then they say "no wind and 72° inside!" the place goes nuts.

Our PA announcer is awesome, for those of you who haven't been in the dome.

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Oh, I just remembered--it's not a song, but the crowd always goes insane when the outside weather is given, and then they say "no wind and 72° inside!" the place goes nuts.

Our PA announcer is awesome, for those of you who haven't been in the dome.

Football for sissies. xsmhx :p

jstate83
November 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Sleep typing Chicken. xoopsx
Correct me again though, you gonna end up here:

http://www.dashmarket.com/images/upload/med/Turkey_Whole_Cooked_copy.jpg
:D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx :D

terrierbob
November 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Saw a Chicago concert earlier this year. They said it was about looking at a watch, not caring what the time was. Not drugs. Fer what it's worth.

turfdoc
November 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Suprised I haven't seen this comment, and I know it is an old joke but....xrolleyesx

I thought App State's would be "Hot Hot Hot"

sorry I let it go the first time I saw the thread couldn't let it go twice

Mr. Tiger
November 15th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Guess where they get it from xsmhx . Even stole the hand motion that the Jukebox does xsmhx .

For yall that don't understand check this out. This is an hour and half before the game.
http://vod.themarchingnetwork.com/search/su+neck/1/35bb2787-5dda-424b-a6c0-985f009b7d30.htm

No doubt. xnonono2x I was floored when they played it.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Saw a Chicago concert earlier this year. They said it was about looking at a watch, not caring what the time was. Not drugs. Fer what it's worth.

You read the lyrics and let me know what you think...

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
25 or 6 to 4

Staring blindly into space
Getting up to splash my face
Wanting just to stay awake
Wondering how much I can take
Should I try to do some more
25 or 6 to 4

Feeling like I ought to sleep
Spinning room is sinking deep
Searching for something to say
Waiting for the break of day
25 or 6 to 4
25 or 6 to 4

I can't believe they even tried to sell that one. :)

TheValleyRaider
November 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
You read the lyrics and let me know what you think...

I can't believe they even tried to sell that one. :)

If it is, that's one of the weakest drug-referencing songs I've ever seen. I like Chicago, but I'd never consider 25 or 6 to 4 a song about drugs. Granted, that makes more sense than some guy who's trying to stay up all night, but still

Kill'em
November 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM

I think you are referring to "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

It too, is a great song.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
If it is, that's one of the weakest drug-referencing songs I've ever seen. I like Chicago, but I'd never consider 25 or 6 to 4 a song about drugs. Granted, that makes more sense than some guy who's trying to stay up all night, but still

25 or 6 to 4 is the time. The song is about the drug induced thoughts racing through a guys head at close to four in the morning. Somebody just looking at their watch is not concerned about the room spinning, attempting to speak and debating about trying doing some more.

The song is about a guy's thoughts who is strung out on some kinda drug. xtwocentsx

ASUG8
November 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Suprised I haven't seen this comment, and I know it is an old joke but....xrolleyesx

I thought App State's would be "Hot Hot Hot"

sorry I let it go the first time I saw the thread couldn't let it go twice

If I could find out who filmed that, I'd club them like a baby seal. That was wrong on too many levels. I keep hoping everybody will forget, but I guess my posting here alone will help remind people. Damn you for making me post!!!