PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 12 (11/17) Predictions

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Last week:

@UMass 31 UNH 27 This was a game until last Sat I was picking UNH to win.

@Maine 20, URI 17

Villanova 27 @ Towson 20

@ UD 30, UR 28 (Think Hightower will go for about 200 here, but it won't be quite enough)

JMU 38 @ W&M 24 (but if JMU loses the turnover battle 4-0 again they'll lose)

Damnit, I forgot to put in the Hofstra-NE game, and it won't let me edit- guess since its been over 24 hrs.

@ Northeastern 27, Hofstra 24 (I picked Hofstra to lose 4 of their last 5 back when they were 6-0). I assume Huggins is still out?

Got 5 of 6 right. Missed the UD-UR game, but was right on the NU upset over NU xthumbsupx

This week:

New Hampshire 31 @ 35 Maine 20

Northeastern @ 31 Rhode Island 17

@ Richmond 45 William and Mary 24

UMass 27 @ Hofstra 13

@James Madison 31 Towson 10 : JMU plays inspred on senior day with playoffs on the line, and won't let the senior's memories of likely their last home game at JMU be a loss to Towson. Towson has a good defense which will hold JMU's offense somewhat in check. JMU'd defense won't take a quarter plus siesta like they did against W&M, allowing 20 points in a quarter + (after the game was well in hand 48-14.

Delaware 38 @ Villanova 24. It will be DSU for UD next week.

appfan2008
November 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
sounds pretty good... big game between hofstra and richmond

BDKJMU
November 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Sorry GannonFan, know you usually start this thread. I'm a little early with it, but I saw you already had it posted over on the CAAZone. xsmiley_wix

EmeryZach
November 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
UMass better win this week. We always play horrible at Hofstra.

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Moderator(s)- are 2 threads for CAA Week 12 (11/17) Predictions. Can someone merge the 2?

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Rivalry week is here - the last week of the year sees some big rivalry games, and also includes a lot of playoff jockeying and trying to stay alive. You have to figure at this point that UMass and Richmond are certainly in, UD should be in now as well, and Hofstra and JMU are battling it out for the 4th team in and, depending on what happens nationally, even a 5th team (although it would take a lot of things to happen to make that happen). Here's my take:

New Hampshire 35 Maine 28 - The Santos era comes to an end, and while it won't end in the playoffs, it will end in front of what should be a very appreciative crowd in Durham. UNH didn't have enough defense this year, nor enough help for Santos, and received no favors from the schedule makers when they played the top 3 teams in the South, and probably that last item is what doomed UNH this year. Maine has found a little life with a new QB under center and the rumor has Cosgrove getting a multi-year extension (MJ must be thrilled) so I see Maine giving a good game and giving an even better send off for one of the CAA's all-time best QB's - a W in his final game.

Northeastern 35 Rhode Island 10 - Northeastern's Murray had a week off last week in the win over Hofstra - only 31 carries for the Huskie's workhorse must have felt like he was, pun intended, really dogging it. URI on the other hand, apparently decided the win over UMass in the hurricane was the end of the season and they didn't appear to even show up in Orono for the blanking the Black Bears put on them. URI is still hobbled by injuries, and there is no hurricane in the forecast this week. Northeastern is a solid team that can hang with any good team, and they will beat the bad ones. And URI certainly is the latter. Northeastern wins this one going away.

Richmond 42 William and Mary 24 - Richmond has really come into their own the past few weeks, going into Harrisonburg and beating JMU on thier homecoming, holding off a pesky nova team at home the week after that, and surviving a 5OT thriller in Newark to knock off the Hens. Along the way, they've found a great QB in Ward, a phenomenal rush offense that is more than just Hightower, and a good set of young receivers. Since Vaughan looks like a stud at RB, losing Hightower next year won't be enough to not make Richmond the conference favorite going into next year - just a stacked team. But this year isn't done yet, and W&M will be little more than a speed bump for the red-hot Spiders. There's always a chance of a letdown after such a big win, on the road no less, and this is one of those rivalry games where something weird could happen, but W&M just has no defense at all, especially against running teams. I think Richmond could score close to 60 in this game. Richmond wins and moves on to the playoffs.

UMass 24 Hofstra 10 - Perhaps the sleeping giant has awakened? After a stunning loss to URI in the hurricane a week before, UMass showed a lot of moxie and a great defense in just absolutely stymieing a UNH team that was playing for their playoff lives last week. It was the kind of performance you thought UMass should be capable of all year yet had never really done. Hofstra, on the other hand, had their playoff destiny in their hands but just couldn't do enough to overcome a decent Northeastern team in Parsons. This game's on the Island, and UMass has struggled there before, but I don't think Hofstra will be able to generate any offense. Without Huggins they are way too reliant on Savage, and I just don't think he's a very good QB. UMass's defense should feast on Hofstra all day and the Minuteman offense, never awe-inspiring, will do just enough to put some points on the board and secure UMass's trip to the playoffs, while ending Hofstra's season.

James Madison 28 Towson 14 - JMU rolled over a defenseless W&M team en route to a rout last week while Towson struggled at home in a tight loss to villanova. JMU is still playing for their playoff lives this week as a loss puts them out, and a win doesn't necessarily get them in, but barring some really weird things happening the Dukes should get in at 8-3 this year. Towson is a good defensive team and has a lot of speed, but they really struggled to stop villanova from running the ball last week. That doesn't bode well - JMU really struggles to pass the ball, but what they do do well is run, and I think they do a whole lot of that this weekend. Towson's offense has pretty much fallen apart recently and while JMU can be passed on, Towson's offensive line will not give Schaeffer enough time to do that - JMU should be all over him for most of the game. I think the score stays reasonable because I think JMU running 80-90% of the time should quicken the game, but JMU runs a similar offense to what nova did last week, except JMU does it a lot better. Not as close as the score will indicate.

Delaware 42 villanova 35 - In probably the most spirited rivalry in the conference, and certainly the most heated, UD finds itself potentially needing to win to make the playoffs. At 8-3 they could still have a very good shot, with big wins over JMU and Navy, but it's always better not to chance it when you can win and eliminate any doubt. nova is playing out the string, but with as much youth as they have they are playing out the string with a lot of zest. UD/nova has seen tons of close games with plenty of drama, and even now the all-time series is only 20-19-1 in favor of UD. Delaware's offense has been incredible this year, and Omar Cuff may very well be on the way to winning the Payton Award this year. Delaware will score points, there's no doubt of that. What is in doubt is how well UD's defense holds up, having struggled mightily over the past 3 weeks. nova is still being steered by a freshman QB and they don't throw a lot, and if nova gets too one-dimensional they might struggle to keep up in this game. Ultimately, I think UD has enough weapons on offense to keep nova at arm's length and the Hens pull out the game and will be at home in Newark to welcome Del St in the first round after Thanksgiving.

At the end of the day, I see Richmond, UMass, UD, and JMU all making the playoffs. Might be a tough road for all 4 teams as none will get a seed and most likely all will be on the road in the quarterfinals, assuming they get out of the first round. If the CAA wins the national title this year, they will have earned it.

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Sorry GannonFan, know you usually start this thread. I'm a little early with it, but I saw you already had it posted over on the CAAZone. xsmiley_wix

My bad - I looked for one before I started mine but must of missed it. Mea culpa.

Tilldog40
November 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
UNH 21 Maine 24 - UNH isn't a good team at 3-4 in the conference and Maine is playing great ball right now.

NU 28 URI 24 - This can anybodys game but NU is running the ball on people and playing much better than earlier in the year.

Richmond 35 W&M 28 -Richmond wins but game is closer palyed than many thought.

Umass 38 Hofstra 20 - If NU can sack the QB seven times then Umass will dominate them.

JMU 31 Towson 24 - JMU scores late in game to pull away from a close game.

Delaware 48 Villanova 24 - UD coach doesn't let UD look past this game.

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Bump

bandl
November 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
UNH over Maine
NU over URI
Richmond over W&M
Umass over Hofstra
JMU over Towson
Delaware over Villanova

Note to trolls: the next portion of my response, as displayed below, is only my OPINION based on who I would LIKE to win, not who I think WILL win. Reason being that if there is a FOUR-WAY TIE atop the CAA, then JMU receives the AQ. It should also be noted that, in my OPINION, I don’t agree with JMU receiving the AQ as they are the least worthy of the AQ among JMU/UD/UR/UM.

UNH over Maine
NU over URI
W&M over Richmond
Hofstra over UMass
JMU over Towson
Villanova over Delaware – but doesn’t matter

URMite
November 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM
UNH over Maine
NU over URI
Richmond over W&M
Umass over Hofstra
JMU over Towson
Delaware over Villanova

Note to trolls: the next portion of my response, as displayed below, is only my OPINION based on who I would LIKE to win, not who I think WILL win. Reason being that if there is a FOUR-WAY TIE atop the CAA, then JMU receives the AQ. It should also be noted that, in my OPINION, I don’t agree with JMU receiving the AQ as they are the least worthy of the AQ among JMU/UD/UR/UM.

UNH over Maine
NU over URI
W&M over Richmond
Hofstra over W&M
JMU over Towson
Villanova over Delaware – but doesn’t matter

Don't want to start the trolls but I doubt W&M will do that.

bandl
November 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Don't want to start the trolls but I doubt W&M will do that.

Fixed! :p

89Hen
November 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Last week....

Delaware 35 - Richmond 31 :( but it was 38-38 after regulation xeyebrowx
UMass 27 - UNH 24 xthumbsupx nailed the 27 :p
James Madison 42 - William and Mary 24 xthumbsupx
Hofstra 27 - Northeastern 17 xcoolx
villanova 24 - Towson 14 xthumbsupx
Rhode Island 13 - Maine 10 xconfusedx xsmhx xoopsx

This week:

UNH 49 - Maine 14
Northeastern 35 - URI 7
Richmond 42 - W&M 21
UMass 31 - Hofstra 21
JMU 28 - Towson 10
Delaware 72 - villanova 70 in regulation xcoolx

ccd494
November 14th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I think Maine might win the Brice Cowell musket this weekend... UNH has been playing balls out for the playoffs, and that's gone. Maine has just been building and building, and it looks like they are back on the right track.

And with the dual "Cosgrove extension" + "We love the CAA, but we don't have the resources" comments from the president, what do you think Maine is positioning itself for? While Maine doesn't have the resources of JMU, ODU, Delaware for football, it also doesn't have the resources of UMass either if this is a push for a AE/CAA North split for football. Any ideas?

Spider
November 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM
SPIDAHS over Bill and the Old Girl...xthumbsupx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I think Maine might win the Brice Cowell musket this weekend... UNH has been playing balls out for the playoffs, and that's gone. Maine has just been building and building, and it looks like they are back on the right track.

And with the dual "Cosgrove extension" + "We love the CAA, but we don't have the resources" comments from the president, what do you think Maine is positioning itself for? While Maine doesn't have the resources of JMU, ODU, Delaware for football, it also doesn't have the resources of UMass either if this is a push for a AE/CAA North split for football. Any ideas?

I don't think you'd ever convince UMass to leave the CAA.

URMite
November 15th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Last week....

Delaware 35 - Richmond 31 :( but it was 38-38 after regulation xeyebrowx
UMass 27 - UNH 24 xthumbsupx nailed the 27 :p
James Madison 42 - William and Mary 24 xthumbsupx
Hofstra 27 - Northeastern 17 xcoolx
villanova 24 - Towson 14 xthumbsupx
Rhode Island 13 - Maine 10 xconfusedx xsmhx xoopsx

This week:

UNH 49 - Maine 14
Northeastern 35 - URI 7
Richmond 42 - W&M 21
UMass 31 - Hofstra 21
JMU 28 - Towson 10
Delaware 72 - villanova 70 in regulation xcoolx

No it wasn't, it was 38-31 at the end of regulation but 38-38 at the beginning of overtime. Get it straight!:p

Just kidding! I still think the refs should have called inadvertent whistle and 1 play with no time left. Although it would almost assuredly have been the same result (OT).

ccd494
November 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I don't think you'd ever convince UMass to leave the CAA.

Willingly? I agree.

But with CAA core schools adding football, would they always have a choice? Would the CAA keep UMass over Richmond or Villanova?

Longhorn
November 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Willingly? I agree.

But with CAA core schools adding football, would they always have a choice? Would the CAA keep UMass over Richmond or Villanova?

Yep. A large public over 2 smaller privates? Better fit with the other full member schools.

WildCat In The Hat
November 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Maiden Voyage Here-enjoy reading comments of passionate football fans, so I thought I'd throw my Hat in the ring:

A little wrinkle in my predictions with my WildCat In The Hat (read: very unscientific) spread and then predictions.

Northeastern (WCIH spread -5) @ Rhode Island
Rhody ends season on a one game winning streak. Could be a two game winning streak early next year if they win their first intra squad scrimmage. OK enough bashing. Stowers wins his last game as Rhody coach.
URI 28, NE 27

William & Mary (WCIH spread -14) @ Richmond
Take Richmond and lay the points. Possibly the best team in the CAA, were thought of as second fiddle to UMASS, UDEL and JMU for most of the year. Can they stand the heat at the top? They won’t let down here. Richmond 34, W&M 17

Massachusetts (WCIH spread -7) @ Hofstra
Take Hofstra and the points. Slight letdown for UMASS after UNH game. I think they take the Pride a little for granted and end up in a closer game than they would have liked. Don’t get me wrong the Minutemen are a much better team.
UMASS 24, Hofstra 20

Towson (WCIH spread +14) @ James Madison
Dukes in a rout. JMU’s still bitter about how CAA South worked out. In the back of their minds there’s still a shot at auto bid.
JMU 42, Towson 17

Delaware (WCIH spread -7) @ Villanova
Tough One. Nova seems to play the Hens tough-but is there really a home field advantage in this game? I think Hens just have too much to play for and their superiority on offense will end up taking over game. Lay the points.
UD 33, Nova 21

Maine (WCIH spread +6) @ UNH
UNH covers. If Maine’s offense was better, I may pick them to win outright. UNH and Santos will go out on a high note. Wildcat D will be emotionally charged enough not to have a repeat of Northeastern (they’ll still give up 3 TD’s, but that’s good for them). Bet the house Santos has a huge day.
UNH 35, Maine 24

Just an fyi- where in the pros generally home field will give you a 3 pt advantage, I’m thinking the typical CAA game is more like a 5 pt advantage. Except for Rhody-I’ll keep that as a 3 pt advantage. Sorry, Ram fans (or should I say Sorry Ram Fans).

Just one fans opinion and you definitely are getting what you pay for. Good luck to all teams.

xpeacex

UNHWILDCATS05
November 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Maiden Voyage Here-enjoy reading comments of passionate football fans, so I thought I'd throw my Hat in the ring:

A little wrinkle in my predictions with my WildCat In The Hat (read: very unscientific) spread and then predictions.

Northeastern (WCIH spread -5) @ Rhode Island
Rhody ends season on a one game winning streak. Could be a two game winning streak early next year if they win their first intra squad scrimmage. OK enough bashing. Stowers wins his last game as Rhody coach.
URI 28, NE 27

William & Mary (WCIH spread -14) @ Richmond
Take Richmond and lay the points. Possibly the best team in the CAA, were thought of as second fiddle to UMASS, UDEL and JMU for most of the year. Can they stand the heat at the top? They won’t let down here. Richmond 34, W&M 17

Massachusetts (WCIH spread -7) @ Hofstra
Take Hofstra and the points. Slight letdown for UMASS after UNH game. I think they take the Pride a little for granted and end up in a closer game than they would have liked. Don’t get me wrong the Minutemen are a much better team.
UMASS 24, Hofstra 20

Towson (WCIH spread +14) @ James Madison
Dukes in a rout. JMU’s still bitter about how CAA South worked out. In the back of their minds there’s still a shot at auto bid.
JMU 42, Towson 17

Delaware (WCIH spread -7) @ Villanova
Tough One. Nova seems to play the Hens tough-but is there really a home field advantage in this game? I think Hens just have too much to play for and their superiority on offense will end up taking over game. Lay the points.
UD 33, Nova 21

Maine (WCIH spread +6) @ UNH
UNH covers. If Maine’s offense was better, I may pick them to win outright. UNH and Santos will go out on a high note. Wildcat D will be emotionally charged enough not to have a repeat of Northeastern (they’ll still give up 3 TD’s, but that’s good for them). Bet the house Santos has a huge day.
UNH 35, Maine 24

Just an fyi- where in the pros generally home field will give you a 3 pt advantage, I’m thinking the typical CAA game is more like a 5 pt advantage. Except for Rhody-I’ll keep that as a 3 pt advantage. Sorry, Ram fans (or should I say Sorry Ram Fans).

Just one fans opinion and you definitely are getting what you pay for. Good luck to all teams.

xpeacex

Glad to have you aboard!!

WildCat In The Hat
November 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Glad to have you aboard!!

Thanks 05 great to be here. Unfortunately we're not predicting a UNH playoff game. Still can't take away from what a great ride Santos has taken us on. Ricky thanks for everything!xbowx

ccd494
November 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I think you reversed your lines. Maine (+6) means that UNH is favored by 6. Maine and 6 points should equal UNH's score.

And I think geography comes into play... Richmond is in the CAA core area. Villanova provides Delaware a close rival. Although UMass does provide Northeastern with a close opponent.

WildCat In The Hat
November 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I think you reversed your lines. Maine (+6) means that UNH is favored by 6. Maine and 6 points should equal UNH's score.

And I think geography comes into play... Richmond is in the CAA core area. Villanova provides Delaware a close rival. Although UMass does provide Northeastern with a close opponent.

In my eyes UNH should be favored by 6. You don't agree? Unless your giving me a dig (I can't tell). Regardless of who you think (want) to win the game, UNH has got to be favored playing at home in Santos last game.
I agree about the geography point-as reflected by my Delaware/Villanova spread. I still say a typical CAA game-home team is worth 5 pts (besides Rhody).

GeeWiz
November 17th, 2007, 01:13 AM
UNH 31 Maine 21 - The Ricky Santos era comes to a end on a winning note.

UMass 38 Hofstra 24 - The Minutemen prove to be too much for the Pride and ruin HU's playoff chances.

NU 31 URI 17 - Huskies close out the season on a three-game win streak.

Delaware 41 Villanova 28 - Blue Chickens roll into the post-season.

JMU 35 Towson 20 - Dukes coast to an easy win and into the playoffs.

UR 44 W&M 27 - Spiders roll to an easy win to clinch the CAA South title.

saint0917
November 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM
New Hampshire- 38 Maine 17

Northeastern- 28 Rhode Island- 13

Richmond- 37 William and Mary- 27

UMass- 30 Hofstra- 16

James Madison- 31 Towson- 13

Delaware- 37 Villanova- 23

SunCoastBlueHen
November 17th, 2007, 07:34 AM
New Hampshire 28 Maine 7 - Surprising that this game is meaningless

Northeastern 30 Rhode Island 21 - Not surprising here

Richmond 31 William and Mary 28 - Richmond sleep walks through this game, but still comes out on top

UMass 35 Hofstra 14 - 'massers easily

James Madison 31 Towson 28 Tiggers put points on the board, but not enough

Delaware 42 Villanova 38 - Here's hoping the Delaware "D" gets a stop or two this week...

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
New Hampshire 28 Maine 7 - Surprising that this game is meaningless

Northeastern 30 Rhode Island 21 - Not surprising here

Richmond 31 William and Mary 28 - Richmond sleep walks through this game, but still comes out on top

UMass 35 Hofstra 14 - 'massers easily

James Madison 31 Towson 28 Tiggers put points on the board, but not enough

Delaware 42 Villanova 38 - Here's hoping the Delaware "D" gets a stop or two this week...

UNH 3, Maine 2
URI 3, Northeastern 2
Richmond 3, W&M 2
UMass 3, Hofstra 2
JMU 3, Towson 2
Delaware 3, Stinkin' Nova 2:D