PDA

View Full Version : Kent Briggs (Western Carolina) FIRED

TheCatamount
November 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
From numerous reputable sources at Catamount Pride message boards.

Now the search is on for our new coach!

It is also rumored his ENTIRE staff is gone. He will step down after the Furman game this weekend - look for an official report then

!!!!!!!!!

FargoBison
November 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM

It is also rumored his ENTIRE staff is gone. He will step down after the Furman game this weekend - look for an official report then

!!!!!!!!!

Thats too bad....

...Just kidding, hopefully WCU can find their Chris Hatcher and start winning some games again.

HaveFunKc
November 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Long time coming... We look forward to seeing you guys back on track again. Jug games for the ages!!!

Intrepid
November 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
AWWWWWWWWW....poor Kent Briggs...too bad dude...bye bye

T-Dogg
November 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hope you guys get it back on the tracks!!! Just not vs. the Terriers.........

TheCatamount
November 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'm real stoked that Briggs and his staff are gone. We had the highest Asst. Coaching turnover in the nation and tons of our players transfer every season(10 freshman are already talking of transfering!). The worst one might have been Don Powers - our DC - who was living in the 40's and NEVER blitzed!

It's been a long time coming, but if we can make the right hire*, WESTERN CAROLINA FOOTBALL WILL BE BACK

*Geoff Collins

PLEASE HIRE HIM - http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=809447

Seven Would Be Nice
November 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM
xbdayx xbdayx xbdayx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xxmasx xxmasx xxmasx xxmasx xxmasx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
November 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM
The worst one might have been Don Powers - our DC - who was living in the 40's and NEVER blitzed!

I hear Delaware could use a defensive coordinator. Or maybe just a defense...

The Moody1
November 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM

!!!!!!!!!

http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111207aab.html

catamount man
November 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Briggs will be reassigned to another position within the university so at least our budget won't be eaten having to flat out pay him his remaining salary in one lump sum. His wife is a professor at WCU as well, so he'll be around in some capacity....just not on the sidelines!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Kudos to Chip Smith our AD. Now, HIRE A COACH WHO CAN WIN!!!

gophoenix
November 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Maybe Ted Roof???

Seven Would Be Nice
November 12th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Who is on your short list?

I heard Mike Sewak is available.

Also Brian Van Gorder. (hey, you can't get any worse right?:D)

Appaholic
November 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM
There is an assistant coach at ATL with FCS experience....southern conference experience.........I think WCU should go after him....xwhistlex

Seven Would Be Nice
November 12th, 2007, 06:55 PM
There is an assistant coach at ATL with FCS experience....southern conference experience.........I think WCU should go after him....xwhistlex

xlolx xlolx You posted the exact same thing 1 second after me.

Honestly though, I wouldn't wish him upon anyone. (except back at UGA, if not at least for the first game of the season next year when we play them)

walliver
November 12th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Rodney Allison may be available...

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM
You are very much welcome Cats. Glad we could help drive the final nail for ya. Hope y'all turn it around soon.xthumbsupx But after this favor remember not to turn on Yosef.:D

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Who is on your short list?

I heard Mike Sewak is available.

Also Brian Van Gorder. (hey, you can't get any worse right?:D)

I think Sewak could be a decent hire.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Sorry Fred Roof, whoever the coach is at Duke who is good just not given any support to do his job.

WCU LawCat
November 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Roof actually coached at WCU but I am not sure that is who we need. Sewak seemed to be a pretty decent coach but GSU has lost Scholarships now because of his players grades etc....

The best hire would be Paul Johnson at Navy (WCU alum) but it would never happen.

A lot of WCU alums and supporters want Geoff Collins (alum and current Nick Saben Staff member) to come back home. Great coach and recruiter.

straightshooter
November 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Johnson's salary would be the whole WCU football budget. He's making a million plus at Navy.

catamount man
November 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Roof actually coached at WCU but I am not sure that is who we need. Sewak seemed to be a pretty decent coach but GSU has lost Scholarships now because of his players grades etc....

The best hire would be Paul Johnson at Navy (WCU alum) but it would never happen.

A lot of WCU alums and supporters want Geoff Collins (alum and current Nick Saben Staff member) to come back home. Great coach and recruiter.

I like Geoff, but I gotta feeling we need a current or former head coach who has a history of winning. It's time for el presidente to finally open up some of that professor $$$ and fund the program the proper way.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
November 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
great news!... hopefully your program can get back on track so we can have REAL battles for the jug...

appfan2008
November 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
also i wouldnt be so sure roof is leaving duke just yet... my two cents

Eyes of Old Main
November 12th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Congrats to all my Catamount friends on this momentous occasion! I know you are all glad to put this situation behind you. Hopefully good things are headed in the direction of Cullowhee.

terrierbob
November 12th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Congrats to all my Catamount friends on this momentous occasion! I know you are all glad to put this situation behind you. Hopefully good things are headed in the direction of Cullowhee.

BTW, the '03 and '07 championship notes look pretty damn good. At least for a team that's not one of the "big three". :D

Eyes of Old Main
November 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Indeed they do, Bob.

ButlerGSU
November 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I think Sewak could be a decent hire.

If you don't mind academic and discipline problems.

OL FU
November 13th, 2007, 09:24 AM
All I ask is to wait until next year before you start your rise to success.xnodx xthumbsupx

NashMoc
November 13th, 2007, 09:33 AM
1 down, 1 to go. Hopefully us UTC fans will get similar good news soon.

proasu89
November 13th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Hope we can assist:D

NashMoc
November 13th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Hope we can assist:D

I don't see us putting up much of a fight in Boone.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Will the Socon take another Patriot League coach? I don't know how long the Holy Cross and Fordham coaches have been where they are but they should be worth a look.

colorless raider
November 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
It is a long way from New York City and Worcester to Cullowee.xnodx

Jiggs
November 13th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Sounds like the right decision. Good luck in your coaching search. We'll see the new coach when we make our trip to Cullowhee in '08.

Sir William
November 13th, 2007, 04:41 PM
David Bennett, Coastal Carolina?

He could rebuild that program as well as anybody. A player's coach!

WCU LawCat
November 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Bennett has in fact been mentioned because people believe he wants to coach in the SoCon and Coastal didn't get in. I'm not sure he is who we need. It is going to be interesting.

Sir William
November 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't mind having Bennett at Furman...to re-instill the discipline and "killer instinct" we once had during the Sheridan, Satterfield (somewhat), and Johnson eras.

That comment ought to start a firestorm. Oh well, my xtwocentsx.

catamount man
November 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I personally want Bobby Bentley but the fighting John Knoxs in Clinton would put up the cash to keep him at PC. ha!!!xthumbsupx

WCU1988
November 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Just curious when Roof coached at WCU. I played in the mid eighties and actually had to block Roof and their famous "Black Watch D" when we played Ga Tech in 85. I have been following WCU's program through the years and don't remember Roof coaching. Was he on Dale Strahm's staff?

On another note my heart goes out to Coach Briggs and his family. He is a class act and this was his dream job comming back to Cullowhee. I know it has to be hard on his family.

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Unfortunately, Nash is going to get nothing but coal in his stocking for Christmas...

This just in...Rodney Allison will be back for the last year of his contract (this is not rumour, it is confirmed...Hart announced the decision today in R.A.'s weekly press conference)

lizrdgizrd
November 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Congrats on losing your loser coach, WCU! xthumbsupx

Glad we could help you guys out. :D

catamount man
November 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Just curious when Roof coached at WCU. I played in the mid eighties and actually had to block Roof and their famous "Black Watch D" when we played Ga Tech in 85. I have been following WCU's program through the years and don't remember Roof coaching. Was he on Dale Strahm's staff?

On another note my heart goes out to Coach Briggs and his family. He is a class act and this was his dream job comming back to Cullowhee. I know it has to be hard on his family.

He was DC for Bill Bleil in Bleil's 1st year, 1997, in Cullowhee and then left.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GaSouthern
November 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'll be interested to see who gets the job.

whoanellie
November 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM
go out and get Lonnie Galloway!!!!! he is your man!!!!
will do a doublw whammy take away a top ASU aast.
and add a WCU alum a chance and opportunity to lead a team.

Monarch History
November 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM
As most board members might say; "What took so long?"xconfusedx

Good luck on finding the right man.:)

Sir William
November 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Not a bad idea.

citdog
November 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
i am very happy for the mountain kitties in all and Catamount Man in particular!

lizrdgizrd
November 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
i am very happy for the mountain kitties in all and Catamount Man in particular!
Oh no, he's back. xeekx

WCU_FL_Alum
November 15th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Anybody is better than Briggs!

The clouds have parted and brighter days are ahead in Cullowhee!!

appstate38
November 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM

You can't have him... although the draw would be hard to fight for him!xnonox

WCU LawCat
November 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I think Lonnie Galloway would be Great as a HC some day but I don't know if he is ready just yet without having Coordinator experience.

citdog
November 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Kenny Carter would be a good choice as well.

ncman071
November 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Actually i think Western should have done all they could do to keep Briggs. personally they should give him a pay raise and a contract extension for a couple more decades.

appfan2008
November 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Actually i think Western should have done all they could do to keep Briggs. personally they should give him a pay raise and a contract extension for a couple more decades.

that would be almost as impressive and stupid as weiss at notre dame

catamount man
November 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Not posting any names, but have heard that a current SEC asst.coach is interested in the job and he does have OC experience. Again, will wait and see, but he definitely could improve our fortunes.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ERASU2113
November 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Not posting any names, but have heard that a current SEC asst.coach is interested in the job and he does have OC experience. Again, will wait and see, but he definitely could improve our fortunes.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

nahhhhhhh it's still WCU xwhistlex :D

good luck with the search. What are they planning to do with Briggs, move him to the athletic department?

catamount man
November 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
nahhhhhhh it's still WCU xwhistlex :D

good luck with the search. What are they planning to do with Briggs, move him to the athletic department?

Hasn't been determined yet. I personally feel Briggs, with his contacts, could be a major player for the Catamount Club and could get some big $$$ into the fold.

We'll see.xthumbsupx

Appaholic
November 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Naw...Lonnie finally came around and got his mind right....why would he want to digress back to WCU?....xsmiley_wix

The Cats
November 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Naw...Lonnie finally came around and got his mind right....why would he want to digress back to WCU?....xsmiley_wix

Don't think we want him..... you keep him.