PDA

View Full Version : Bizzaro World: What if UNI, UM, & McNeese All Loose?

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
If the perfect storm were to occur this weekend and all the undefeated teams lost what would that do to the playoff picture?

danefan
November 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Albany would get the #2 seed and host a playoff game.:D

GannonFan
November 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
First of all, it's lose, not loose. And I think all of them would still get seeds. Actually, I don't think anything would change, but it would just make the positioning of the 4 seeds very much up for debate.

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
First of all, it's lose, not loose. And I think all of them would still get seeds. Actually, I don't think anything would change, but it would just make the positioning of the 4 seeds very much up for debate.
Stoopid pells chekc! xbangx xbangx xbangx

Barnstormer
November 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I will be very very very mad... Well, at the UNI part... don't care about the rest. :)

walliver
November 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
If the perfect storm were to occur this weekend and all the undefeated teams lost what would that do to the playoff picture?

I can't imagine any of the teams listed above losing their playoff spot (I think all three have an AQ (but I'm too lazy to check)). UNI and Montana would keep seeds, UMass would probably get the #1 seed (unless they lose), and ASU would probably take the #4 seed (unless they lose to the mocs this weekend).

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I can't imagine any of the teams listed above losing their playoff spot (I think all three have an AQ (but I'm too lazy to check)). UNI and Montana would keep seeds, UMass would probably get the #1 seed (unless they lose), and ASU would probably take the #4 seed (unless they lose to the mocs this weekend).
You're right about none of them being out of the playoffs, but I would think SIU would have a much better chance at claiming one of the seeds over UMass or Montana.

UNI MadCat
November 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Yes, blame it on the spell check.

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, blame it on the spell check.
xsmiley_wix

Saluki_man
November 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
If all three lose (highly doubt it), the seeds will probably go as follows:

#1 UNI -schedule still strong enough to keep them here
#2 SIU -only loss to UNI, a decent schedule
#3 UD -assuming they beat Nova on the road
#4 Montana -make it over McNeese St via the SOS and over ASU via only having one loss

If Montana, McNeese, and UD looses this weekend, ASU probably takes a seed.

All that is speculation, but thats how I see it going down.

McDABest
November 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM

It's not the spell checks fault that you would group McNeese and "loose" in the same sentence.xnonox xsmiley_wix

AlphaSigMD
November 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Ok, 1st of all, it won't happen, but if it did, this is how it would work out.

1. UNI 10-1
2. Montana 10-1
3. SIU 10-1
4. ASU 9-2

Why?

Ok, UNI hasn't lost all year, and they get a seed regardless, unless they lose by 50.

Montana would get a seed because the NCAA's won't take them out of their home. But, its very possible (if not probable) that the 1st round opponent for montana will be the BEST team they've seen all year, so even the homefield might not be enough to keep them around until the 3rd round, much less the NC.

If SIU wins this weekend, they would be the top ranked team that could actually go to the playoffs, so they would not be left out. But they also would be the 2nd team in the gateway, so I predict they would still be No.3

ASU would be the 2nd ranked team in the polls, and would get the benefit of the doubt over UMass and Delaware because of being the defending national champs, having the best win of anyone in the FCS this year, not to mention a lucrative stadium.

If McNeese loses a game, against their schedule, then they should not get a seed at all. Its not their AD's fault, but the teams they played this year were almost all busts. 10-1 would not be deserving of a seed. If a team, like albany, from a non-autobid conference was 10-1 against competition with those schedules they wouldn't even make the tournament in the first place.

UMass still has a tough road this week, and they don't have the fan base to bring in the $$$ to the NCAA's, even though they would be deserving of a seed.

Delaware would be 9-2 with a win, with a win over Navy. They would also be deserving of a seed, but they likely won't win the CAA, and their win over 6-4 navy doesn't look as good as ASU's win over 8-3 Michigan.

Purple For Life
November 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM
We've won the Gateway outright, and our strength of schedule would probably seed us high, if not number one.

But it's no big deal. We won't lose. ;)

Saint3333
November 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM

#4 Montana -make it over McNeese St via the SOS and over ASU via only having one loss

A 10-1 Montana doesn't get a seed. I think SIU gets the 4 seed if all three win, but ASU gets the #2 seed over SIU if Montana and McNeese lose as the committee will not seed two teams from one conference #1 & #2.

All three will win and the seeds will be UNI, Montana, McNeese, and SIU or ASU.

Note all this assumes ASU beats UTC, which isn't a given ask GSU.

McNeeserocket
November 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM

I discussed this supposed SOS debate between McNeese and Montana on the AGS poll rating posting. I will paste it here just for the record on another view on the great debate.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Ok. I have not previously bothered to respond to this who is #2 and who is #3 stuff, but since the gentleman from Montana (along with a herd/family/school/whatever of other Montana faithful) keeps bringing it up I feel inclined to give one viewpoint (mine). It seems strange to even have this discussion with a Montana fan as McNeese and Montana fans typically have nothing but respect for the other and rarely get into a pissing war.

Let me first say, it just doesn't matter that much who is rated what. True, having home games is perhaps a slight advantage and it provides some income to the school. However, if you want to get to the "Big Dance" you have to beat everyone in your bracket or beat the ones that beat others in your bracket. So I say "Bring EM ON" to the tune of anyone, anywhere, anytime!

Other than that little tirade, I offer the following:

When McNeese made out their schedule it appeared to be a decent competitive schedule. We had 6 home games and 5 away games. We had one FBS team on the road (though historically a weak one, it was a game that had bitter rivalry history where there were bragging rights in the mix which always ups the anti). We had one Division II team (one that is moving to FCS and is historically a highly competitive winning D II team). In addition we had a Big Sky team (Portland State) who had been very competitive in the last several years (how were we to know that they would be a part of a perceived "Weak conference" this year and themselves be suffering from coaching, offensive and defensive major changes). We also played a Great West team that had promise of being at least a 6-5 or 5-6 team (since we both played this team to nearly the same point spread it is a wash in comparison). We both had had to play our entire conference schedule regardless of their "perceived talent weaknesses." When a team schedules a year of football, it never knows for sure what type of talent level it will encounter when that year rolls around.

Now let us see the flip side of this comparsion. Montana played 7 home games and 4 away games. Montana played 8 conference games and just like McNeese how would Montana know that its own conference would turn out to be perceived as "Weak" by others across the FCS network. For their 3 out of conference games, Montana choose the same Great West team (Southern Utah) that McNeese did and enjoyed the same approximate point spread (though McNeese did beat them by one more point than Montana did) and they played them at their home stadium, while McNeese traveled to Southern Utah. This could be important since it would seem that the Montana gentleman's (and comrades) whole reason for caring about being #2 instead of #3 is over who has the right to play all three playoff games at home field until going to Chattanooga. I have to infer that they feel that playing at home gives you some advantage (other than money). Moving on here, Montana choose a team that typically does not compete in the playoffs (maybe never has played in the playoff?) for another home non-conference game when it scheduled Albany. McNeese and Montana shared an additional common foe, Portland State. McNeese beat them by 23 pts and Montana beat them by 3 pts (you do the math). Montana scheduled Ft. St. Lewis for its last home non-conference game, and I really know nothing about them so they may be a good D II team, but they are not in transition to FCS like the Division II team McNeese scheduled. Montana did not schedule a FBS team (weak or strong) unlike McNeese.

So tell me, if we are made to split hairs, who at least tried to schedule better out of conference competition?

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM
All three will win and the seeds will be UNI, Montana, McNeese, and SIU or ASU.

McNeese didn't look real good in its last game and the injuries are really starting to pile up. Even people like Bryan Smith and Quinten Lawrence aren't hurt too badly...and right now I don't know if they are or not...I would expect that they'll be held out. I'm real nervous about the upcoming game. I think the odds are better than even that McNeese will win. But it's sure not a lock by any means.

appfan2008
November 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM

I dont think that UNI can stay a number one seed if they lose bc they would have lost to an awful team on the final week... my two cents

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I dont think that UNI can stay a number one seed if they lose bc they would have lost to an awful team on the final week... my two cents

I agree. But, though nothing in college football is absolutely impossible, Southern Utah winning in the UNI Dome this weekend is pretty close. I think it's pretty safe to say it's not going to happen.

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I agree. But, though nothing in college football is absolutely impossible, Southern Utah winning in the UNI Dome this weekend is pretty close. I think it's pretty safe to say it's not going to happen.

yep...and App State had no chance in the big house.....xrotatehx

MSU_77
November 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM
If McNeese loses a game, against their schedule, then they should not get a seed at all. Its not their AD's fault, but the teams they played this year were almost all busts. 10-1 would not be deserving of a seed. If a team, like albany, from a non-autobid conference was 10-1 against competition with those schedules they wouldn't even make the tournament in the first place.

It's stupid comments like this that make me want to stay away from this board. Our schedule, though not as strong as it looked before the season, has been stronger than Montana's and our wins against all 3 common opponents were considerably more dominant. We also crushed an (admittedly weak) FBS team on the road. We played one DII opponent that is in transition to FBS. Our average margin of victory is three TDs.

I've got a headache. xrotatehx

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2007, 07:57 PM
yep...and App State had no chance in the big house.....xrotatehx

For what it's worth, this would be a bigger upset according to Sagarin ratings than App beating Michigan was. I remember looking at the ratings before they changed and the Sagarin "spread" for App at Michigan was about 30 points. The Sagarin "spread" for Southern Utah at Northern Iowa is 42 points.

skinny_uncle
November 12th, 2007, 08:23 PM
The odds against all three losing must be astronomical.

AlphaSigMD
November 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
It's stupid comments like this that make me want to stay away from this board. Our schedule, though not as strong as it looked before the season, has been stronger than Montana's and our wins against all 3 common opponents were considerably more dominant. We also crushed an (admittedly weak) FBS team on the road. We played one DII opponent that is in transition to FBS. Our average margin of victory is three TDs.

I've got a headache. xrotatehx

Stupid Huh?

Comparing your teams schedules to another weak schedule as if its a shining beacon of scheduling fortitude?

playing teams with records of
2-8 (2 D1 wins, so 2-8)
2-8 (D-1A) so 2-7 against FBS teams.
0-10 (zero D1 wins)
6-5 (D-2) (zero D1 wins)
4-6 (4 D1 wins)
6-4 (4 D-1 wins, so 4-4)
6-4 (4 D-1 wins, so 4-4)
2-8 (1 D-1 win, so 1-8
0-10 (zero D-1 wins, so 0-10)
3-7 (2 D-1 wins, so 2-7)

So you played 10 teams with a grand total of 19 D-1 wins. Less than 2 apiece.

WOW. Why don't we just give you the national championship now, because you've played the best of the best.

Now. That stated, if you go 11-0, you'll get a seed. If you go 10-1 against, having not played a team that has a winning record vs. Division 1 opponents, then you CERTAINLY DO NOT deserve a seed.

MSU_77
November 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Now. That stated, if you go 11-0, you'll get a seed. If you go 10-1 against, having not played a team that has a winning record vs. Division 1 opponents, then you CERTAINLY DO NOT deserve a seed.

You misinterpreted my point. I've never seen as much failure to communicate as occurs on this board. I agree that if we go 10-1, given our relatively weak SOS, we do not deserve a seed. A home game in the first round, yes, but not a seed. My objection was to the poster's assertion that Montana, if they go 10-1, deserve a seed, but McNeese would not. My argument is that NEITHER would deserve a seed. Montana's schedule was weaker (considerably) than McNeese's and their performance against 3 common opponents fell far short of ours.

I can use shorter words if that would help.

AlphaSigMD
November 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I agree with you on atleast one thing. Montana would not deserve a seed. But, they would get one, simply because of who they are, and where they play. McNeese would not deserve one, and they also would not get a seed.

Hope I cleared that one up for you.

CamelCityAppFan
November 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM
There's a chance UNI, UM, & McNeese all lose this weekend?

Puh-leeze... xrolleyesx

What's next-- K-Fed is a better parent than Britney? :D

Sam Adams
November 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Do you seriously think that UM and McNeese are unbeatable? Have you checked our their respective schedules? UNI is not likely to be challenged by So.Utah butcha never know.

Ronbo
November 13th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Our game with MSU used to be a lock. Not anymore. We could very well drop this game. Throw out the records.

Loose will not be caught by the spell checker. It's a real word. They need to come up with a grammar checker.xlolx

Saluki_man
November 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM
[/U]
I discussed this supposed SOS debate between McNeese and Montana on the AGS poll rating posting. I will paste it here just for the record on another view on the great debate.

So tell me, if we are made to split hairs, who at least tried to schedule better out of conference competition?

I am talking the entire schedule, not just the non-conference.

While both the Big Sky and the Southland are down, I see the Big Sky being slightly better with EWU and Montana St over Central Ark and Sam Houston St. Also the bottom of the Big Sky is better than the bottom of the Southland, with SFA and SE LA being aboslutly horrible and possibly two of the worst teams out of the power conferences (the worst is Indiana St though). Even with the out of conference scheduling advantage that McNeese has, Montana pulls ahead with the better conference.

Grizzaholic
November 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM

The commitee feels really bad and doesn't know what to do so they take a vote and allow NDSU to play in the playoffs only to be knocked out in the first round by Eastern Washington.

HensRock
November 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM
If all of them lose, then we cancel the playoffs and declare

North Dakota State University
FCS National Champions!

xnodx xnodx

lizrdgizrd
November 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Our game with MSU used to be a lock. Not anymore. We could very well drop this game. Throw out the records.

Loose will not be caught by the spell checker. It's a real word. They need to come up with a grammar checker.xlolx
NOW YOU TELL ME! xmadx

:p

Mountain Panther
November 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Yes! I expect UNI to be very LOOSE and beat SUU by at least 20 points!

Purple For Life
November 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Just run it through me--I'm a grammar fiend!

lizrdgizrd
November 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Just run it through me--I'm a grammar fiend!
From now on I will submit all my thread topics to you before I post them. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
From now on I will submit all my thread topics to you before I post them. xthumbsupx

that could cause quite a lot of action between you 2 :p

lizrdgizrd
November 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM
that could cause quite a lot of action between you 2 :p
Just don't let my wife or her boyfriend find out. xeekx xsmiley_wix

Barnstormer
November 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM
UNI is not likely to be challenged by So.Utah butcha never know.

Normally I'd agree with you, but So. Utah's coach thinks we suck (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1311081).

Northern Iowa, No. 1 in the media poll, plays Meier's Southern Utah team. Meier said he "would feel great" about setting up NDSU for a chance at the top ranking in both polls.

"We want to see the guys in our conference, the guys we have a tremendous amount of respect for as coaches and players, do well," he said. "No disrespect to Northern Iowa, but I just don't know if they're the quality of some of the teams in our conference."

That's not gonna fire anybody up or anything...