View Full Version : NDSU's 80 Bomb to beat Poly

Hansel
November 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

mcveyrl
November 12th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Nice!

I haven't read any threads, how much time was left when that happened?

Hansel
November 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
30 secs left when NDSU scored

NDSU got the ball on their own 8 with a minute left and no timeouts

Poly Pigskin
November 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
30 or 40 seconds

mcveyrl
November 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Wow. What kind of coverage was Cal Poly in??

Live4Griz
November 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
What a great game!

Nice comeback NDSU!

GO GRIZ!!

GannonFan
November 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Geesh, Cal Poly knocked out of the playoffs on that. What a brutal way to lose.

CCRyder
November 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Wow! That looks like some great tackling. Way to wrap the guy up. Was that typical for the game? Must be hard to score on that defense.

Cleets
November 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Gee...

I thought Cal Poly was one of those "horribly over rated" teams like Montana.. xlolx
Hmmm.. this says a lot about how close the competition is this year...
1 thru 20 any given saturday...

Barnstormer
November 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Nice pass and catch!!

Check out the video in my signature from the UNI game Saturday.

I love YouTube. We need a weekly thread with cool highlights from games.

Mountain Panther
November 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM

The play-by-play guy sounds like a cross between Harry Carey and UNI's commentator.

LehighFan11
November 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Nice pass and catch!!

Check out the video in my signature from the UNI game Saturday.

I love YouTube. We need a weekly thread with cool highlights from games.

OMG that kid is amazing. He made 3 great cuts/spins in a row. I hope i get to watch him on espn sometime in the playoffs.

Thunderstruck84
November 12th, 2007, 03:31 PM
That was actually the third time in the 4th qtr that the Cal Poly secondary got burned. There was a 68 yard td pass to Jordan Schultenover and another 48 yarder to Schultenover to set up the second of the 3 4th qtr tds. I think that fell on the CP coaching staff, their defense played exceptionally well for the first 3 quarters.

Wow! That looks like some great tackling. Way to wrap the guy up. Was that typical for the game? Must be hard to score on that defense.
IMO, Cal Poly's defense played the Bison better than anyone has this year, but they had 3 crucial lapses. I still can't figure out why there was no deep safety help though, the bomb was the only thing they had to defend against with 92 yards of field as insurance against a team with no timeouts and only 65 seconds to score a touchdown.

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM
The NDSU reciever looked really Ssssloooooooooooooooow.xnodx

blur2005
November 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
OMG that kid is amazing. He made 3 great cuts/spins in a row. I hope i get to watch him on espn sometime in the playoffs.
Yeah, no kidding. That was an amazing punt return. It probably needs its own thread, to say the least.xeekx

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Notice Tyler Roehl started the play beside the QB, and was the second guy on the congrats to Heckendorf. xthumbsupx

Bison77
November 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Yea that's why a speedy Poly defense couldn't catch him! xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Yea that's why a speedy Poly defense couldn't catch him! xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

He fall down go BOOM!xbawlingx

McNeese_beat
November 12th, 2007, 10:46 PM

None, apparently. How can you be straight man when you are nursing a lead with a minute left? There is no over the top safety help.

proasu89
November 12th, 2007, 10:48 PM

The kind that Prevented them from winningxsmiley_wix

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I still can't believe that game. Incredible performance by the Bison, and an incredible collapse by Cal Poly. xnonono2x

Poly Pigskin
November 13th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I still can't believe that game. Incredible performance by the Bison, and an incredible collapse by Cal Poly. xnonono2x

It's becoming an annual Homecoming event. If you come play us down here late October/early November, you too can have a shot at scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter to shatter our playoff hopes!!

I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now...again...
xbawlingx

spelunker64
November 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
My Oh My...

Hansel
November 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
None, apparently. How can you be straight man when you are nursing a lead with a minute left? There is no over the top safety help.

they were playing man with a deep safety according to Ellerson- the safety was nowhere to be found however

bisonguy
November 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
they were playing man with a deep safety according to Ellerson- the safety was nowhere to be found however

Bohl stated today on the Dan Hammer show that they were playing their base man free coverage, so the free safety can only be expected to cover between the hashes.

McNeese_beat
November 13th, 2007, 11:40 PM

He was either slow or sleeping or thought they were in straight man. there was a safety that came in at the end but the safety needs to be there when the ball gets there. There's no excuse for a deep ball like that to fall in over single coverage in that situation.

ThreadStopper
November 13th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys!

I was just starting to feel better and thinking about going back to work. Damn U Tube!

McNeese_beat
November 13th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Bohl stated today on the Dan Hammer show that they were playing their base man free coverage, so the free safety can only be expected to cover between the hashes.

what the hell are they doing in man free, especially when a field goal can't beat you?

sikolec
November 14th, 2007, 02:30 AM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Heartbreaking game to watch. Secondary was non-existent on those 4th quarter TD passes by Steve Walker.

WyomingGrizFan
November 14th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I feel for you both, 'Poly Pigskin' and 'sikolec.' Same thing happened to the Griz 29 November 1997.

The Griz had just scored the go ahead TD making it 14 - 13 with but a couple minutes left in the game. A couple plays later McNeese St. goes the distance and wins 19 - 14. And one can only wonder how far the Griz could have gone if they had held on to win. McNeese St. loses in the NC game 9 - 10 to Youngstown St. that year.

Prevent defense my ass!!!

JohnStOnge
November 14th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Great for NDSU but pretty pathetic on Cal Poly's part giving up a play like that in that situation (i.e., final minute, opponent with no timeouts left) with a playoff berth on the line. That shouldn't happen in that situation no matter who you're playing. I saw a similiar thing happen in Nick Saban's last game against Iowa in a Bowl where they let Iowa score on a long pass as time ran out. It's one thing if you tip the ball around and get a fluke play like the "Blugrass Miracle." It's another thing when the defense lets anybody get behind them under those circumstances.

JohnStOnge
November 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM

I wasn't going to say it but since you did I'll say I thought the same thing. In fact, what I was thinking is, "They not only let a guy get behind them in that situation, they let a slow guy get behind them in that situation."

BisBison
November 14th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I wasn't going to say it but since you did I'll say I thought the same thing. In fact, what I was thinking is, "They not only let a guy get behind them in that situation, they let a slow guy get behind them in that situation."

I'm not so sure he looked that slow to the CalPolysafety as he watched him scoot into the endzone for the winning TD.xhurrayx xhurrayx

Thunderstruck84
November 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx You're right, Heckendorf is not a burner, he is a solid possesion receiver who runs excellent routes. It kind of looked like his legs turned to jelly there after he broke out into the open. Regardless I wouldn't want any other (faster) receiver on NDSU's roster in that situation, Heckendorf is clutch baby xnodx ! Just ask SHSUxsmiley_wix.

CCRyder
November 14th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Even with the reception, the defensive corner should have wrapped the receiver up and made the tackle. It's fundamental.

If that was typical coverage AND tackling throughout the 4th qtr then its no wonder CalPoly couldn't close the deal.

bisonguy
November 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM
what the hell are they doing in man free, especially when a field goal can't beat you?

That's supposedly their base coverage.

Griz0383
November 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM
the prevent D prevented another win! amazing!

slostang
November 14th, 2007, 08:12 PM
the prevent D prevented another win! amazing!

Unfortunately the Mustangs were in their base defense (ie. no extra DBs in to prevent the WRs from getting behind the defense) when all three long passes were completed. I can understand going with what got you there, but when NDSU scored the first TD on a long pass, the Mustangs should have gone to a prevent defense. Cal Poly held the ball for 12:30 minutes of the fourth fourth quarter. NDSU scored three TDs using just 8 plays. If Cal Poly had held NDSU to 10, 15 and 20 yard completions NDSU would have run out of time. Another thing is in college football the players should be coached that in this situation if a WR is going to beat you tackle him and draw a 15 yard pass interference penalty. It beats giving up a 80 yard TD.

TokyoGriz
November 14th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I wish I could have seen this game live or on TV.

Only get the internet radio feed here in Japan.

Really a great finish for a great team at North Dakota.

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx