PDA

View Full Version : 3 Players Arrested. Guess Who?

FCS Go!
November 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=3105863

Pile-on expected and deserved xmadx

appfan2008
November 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
if it isnt montana st its montana... :(

bcrawf
November 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Greg Coleman has been breaking the law since he was in Middle School in Iowa City. This is not a big surprise. He is absolute human scum...

GreatAppSt
November 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM

But they are really good players!xlolx

Tod
November 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Oh My GOD!!!

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

RE/MAXGriz
November 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
But they are really good players!xlolx

With exception to Coleman both Pate and Shelton had contributed very little. Greg was expected to be the starter next year though.

What a damn mess, these guys would rather run around playing thugs instead of getting play football and go to school FOR FREE. How f'ing dumb is that?

DuckDuckGriz
November 11th, 2007, 10:52 PM
We Griz fans at AGS have known about this since around 1:30 this afternoon - sending PMs back and forth in preparation for the storm of judgment that is sure to come from the rest of the schools on here -- and, at this point, it's hard to deny that it's not deserved.

As Tony Soprano would say "What took ya so long?"

GOKATS
November 11th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I won't pile on, it's an embarassent to UM and the state of Montana, but I do hope a few griz posters gag on the sputum they posted when MSU had some problems. It's sad when a few idiots taint the image/efforts of the majority of student/athletes at any university. I read the thread on egriz and except for a few the griz fans are extremely pi$$ed about todays news.

I had hoped that the bleeding had stopped, but....................

I don't think my fellow Bobcat fans will pile on, we're all sick & tired of this crap.

Cat/griz this weekend- Go Cats!!

DuckDuckGriz
November 11th, 2007, 10:55 PM
F this. If they do not cut atleast Coleman from the team I will boycott Bobby Hauck forever.

Let's take it out on the Cats this week

GO GRIZ

JayJ79
November 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM
""We do everything we can to try to educate our players and avoid something like this."

Okay guys, todays lesson:
Don't steal sh#t.

The syllabus for next week:
- not shooting people for fun
- no means no
- just because your girlfriends are tougher than some of the opponents we schedule, doesn't mean you can smack them around

BlueHen86
November 11th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry to hear about this.
Not going to pile on. Some young men made some stupid decisions. It could happen anywhere.

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2007, 11:03 PM
When it rains, it pours. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Chi Panther
November 11th, 2007, 11:05 PM
UNI's preseason 3rd team All-American Safety was kicked off the team 2 weeks ago.....$#!^ Happens.....xsmhx

Griz40
November 11th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Well........lets just hope they are cut from the team...don't need them

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Holy beegeezus! First Kramer is axed after Spring ball for things at Montana State and now Montana has this growing list.

Crazy!

Tod
We Griz fans at AGS have known about this since around 1:30 this afternoon - sending PMs back and forth in preparation for the storm of judgment that is sure to come from the rest of the schools on here -- and, at this point, it's hard to deny that it's not deserved.

As Tony Soprano would say "What took ya so long?"

Really? Thanks for the PMs. xconfusedx

Stubbins
KPAX just said it...they are gone, kicked off

DuckDuckGriz
November 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM

I'm sorry Tod...

Would you like to start the next Wash-Griz thread?xlolx

xpeacex

It was actually just 3 of us.

GRZZ
November 11th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Officials with the University of Montana are expressing disappointment over the entire situation and UM Football Coach Bobby Hauck says the players have been kicked off the team. In a written statement he tells us "this is an embarrassment to our program and to me personally. It's like having your own children get into trouble."

Good. We have been discussing this all afternoon on eGriz. I am actually surprised it didn't come out here sooner. I am embarrassed, everyone is. I don't know what else to say.

Tod
November 11th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry Tod...

Would you like to start the next Wash-Griz thread?xlolx

xpeacex

It was actually just 3 of us.

Sorry, sorry, sorry. :o :o :o

I'm seeing so much red I'm lashing out at Griz fans. That is sad, on my part.

I wasn't even here yet (still returning from the ISU game), and probably wasn't logged in.

My apologies, Nick.

:o :o :o

patssle
November 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Montana is now the UT of FCS.

GOKATS
November 11th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Were you taking a nap? xnodx There's been a thread on BobcatNation since noon, I'm sure egriz was earlier than that.

KNUTS
November 11th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I think I've seen this movie where the inmates get together and beat the guards in a football game... this is a movie right?

Makes you wonder how many chances talent will get you. It's embarrassing!

Grizalltheway
November 11th, 2007, 11:29 PM
This isht happened two blocks from my apartment. What a bunch of low-lifes. xsmhx xsmhx xthumbsdownx

D1B
November 11th, 2007, 11:34 PM
No piling on here either. Montana gave them the opportunity of a lifetime to get an education, live in paradise (Missoula)and play football for the best program in 1AA.

They'll pay for their crimes and I feel bad that UM has to suffer the undeserved consequences.

mtgrizfan4life
November 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM
As a Montana GRIZ fan, I am ashamed. I am beginning to ask myself why I chose to support collegiate athletics more than professional? Thinking back on it, I chose to because I was tired of all the $$$, thuggery, police reports, etc at the professional level. Years later, it is every bit as prevalent at the collegiate level. How long until it is prevalent at the High School level?
I applaud coach Hauck for kicking these guys off the team ASAP! Guilty or innocent, these guys are old enough to know not to put yourself or anyone in a bad situation like that. Of all the homes in Montana with firearms what are the odds they chose one without firearms. Chances are very high that most homes have guns in them. They are lucky 1 or all of them are not DEAD.

Note to all athletes: "Please knock this **** off!" I do not care what your background is!!! You blessed with abilities to pay your way through college. It is a privelege to play collegiate and professional athletics. If you want to be a thug and not an athlete, feel free to join any given GANG and let the scholarships be filled by kids that want them!!!!! I have been a sports fan my whole life. However, incidents like this make really consider how much more can I take to support athletics any longer?

At least when and if Montana moves up, our fans will know how to handle big time media attention, rumors, innuendos, etc that come with the higher level of football. I am to the point where I would love to see an owner pay top $ to an athlete that puts up average number, but never gets in trouble. Hell in my younger days, I would have played any of the sports just for a roof over my head, bills being paid, and food on the table.

Athletes please hear the voice of the fan, and "Grow up and keep your asses out of trouble!"

BisonBacker
November 11th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Greg Coleman has been breaking the law since he was in Middle School in Iowa City. This is not a big surprise. He is absolute human scum...

This brings up a good question. During recruiting how much background work do recruiters do to find out more about the person? How much is too much and what's off limits? Fair or not it reflects on the program including the coaches and everyone else involved. Obviously if anyone knew this was going to happen they would never recruit a player with questionable eithcal or moral issues. But if this kids reputation is as this poster alludes to are the recruiters overlooking things just to get players they feel will make them win games? It would seem that the Montana schools have had much more then their fair share of this kind of news but is it avoidable? I'm not looking to pick on anyone here as this kind of thing can happen anywhere you just never know even if you recruit someone with a clean background you just never know. For guys on the board that have been recruited and played at this level what's the questions you get asked? For everyone else where do you feel the line should be at for recruiters questioning of recruits?

putter
November 11th, 2007, 11:59 PM

While this is stupid on these kids part why would you say pile on expected and deserved? That is a dumb statement. I think all posters realize the actions of a stupid few can ruin it for the majority of good kids which all FCS programs have. It has been a bad year for both Montana teams and one which I do not want to repeat anytime soon. Get rid of these kids and move on.

FCS Go!
November 12th, 2007, 12:22 AM
While this is stupid on these kids part why would you say pile on expected and deserved? That is a dumb statement. I think all posters realize the actions of a stupid few can ruin it for the majority of good kids which all FCS programs have. It has been a bad year for both Montana teams and one which I do not want to repeat anytime soon. Get rid of these kids and move on.

I'll give you that it probably isn't deserved but I'm very frustrated with some of the former players and what has been going on in Missoula and elsewhere. I can live with bar fights and the occasional drunk and disorderly but this quasi-thug s**t is way out of bounds.

I also thought that the Griz had gotten {rid of these kids and moved on} the last time this happened a few months ago. I guess the timing could be worse- it could've happened next week.

Saying that there are bad kids in every program and that it could happen to any team may be true but it doesn't address why it is happening again and why some players are continuing to screw up. Has Shelton even been in Missoula two months yet? WTF... I don't know.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 12th, 2007, 12:31 AM
This is rediculous...i'm glad they were kicked off the team. I had to pay for the privilege of attending UM and these guys get a free ride and the opportunity to play the game they love. Let's just hope they learn a lesson...

putter
November 12th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I don't disagree. These guys forget what an opportunity they have and what a privledge it is to be able to play college football. I am sure the reality of what they are missing is hitting them now. xsmhx They are a disgrace and do not deserve to wear the Montana jersey. A guy like Bagley, who would probably give anything to have his arm fixed, gets hurt and these idiots go out and break into a home. Why didn't one of them break their arm?

Grizaholic17
November 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM
"This is an embarrassing situation for our football team, UM athletics and the University of Montana," athletic director Jim O'Day said in a statement Sunday.

at least he admits it. haha. What can we say. We are hard a$$'s. We know how to bust caps in anyone's grill. No, just kidding. This is pretty sad. xnonox

strike00
November 12th, 2007, 12:53 AM
this is too bad. I hope those young men learn from their mistakes and better themselves as they get through this.

Lady Fan of the Griz
November 12th, 2007, 12:55 AM
There were Griz fans who piled on and enjoyed the Bobcats' pain when they were going through these same issues. Hopefully those fans learned a lesson about enjoying someone else's pain. It came back to bite all Griz fans in the a**.

What a huge disappointment and a shame for those players who are good kids. This will overshadow their efforts.

SeattleGriz
November 12th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I am so glad they are booted off the team.

I spent an hour smacking my sons wiffle balls into the neighbors yard today to vent.

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2007, 01:12 AM
KPAX just said it...they are gone, kicked off

I'm surprised the University axed these players that quickly. The University of Jacksonville got in trouble earlier this year for being too quick on the trigger to cut a player when it turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. And, of course, we all remember the Duke lacrosse incidents.

I'm not saying this was a case of mistaken identity, but I think it would have been more prudent to suspend Coleman, et al. indefinitely rather than cutting them in the off-chance one of them is innocent. This situation is bad, but a lawsuit would make it even worse.

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I am so glad they are booted off the team.

I spent an hour smacking my sons wiffle balls into the neighbors yard today to vent.

I had to read that three times before I deleted the nasty PM I was about to send you... ;)

SeattleGriz
November 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I had to read that three times before I deleted the nasty PM I was about to send you... ;)

Amazing what a few wiffle ball home runs will do for your attitude.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I'm surprised the University axed these players that quickly. The University of Jacksonville got in trouble earlier this year for being too quick on the trigger to cut a player when it turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. And, of course, we all remember the Duke lacrosse incidents.

I'm not saying this was a case of mistaken identity, but I think it would have been more prudent to suspend Coleman, et al. indefinitely rather than cutting them in the off-chance one of them is innocent. This situation is bad, but a lawsuit would make it even worse.

I was watching KPAX and they reported the players were suspended so I'm not sure that they have been axed.....yet.

Tod
November 12th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I was watching KPAX and they reported the players were suspended so I'm not sure that they have been axed.....yet.

As pissed off as I am, they're innocent until proven guilty of something. If not a crime, then at least being involved in things they shouldn't be.

But with the way things have been going...xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Syntax Error
November 12th, 2007, 02:03 AM
There were Griz fans who piled on and enjoyed the Bobcats' pain when they were going through these same issues. Hopefully those fans learned a lesson about enjoying someone else's pain. It came back to bite all Griz fans in the a**.

What a huge disappointment and a shame for those players who are good kids. This will overshadow their efforts.Welcome LFOG! Good first post at AGS!

WyomingGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Saying that there are bad kids in every program and that it could happen to any team may be true but it doesn't address why it is happening again and why some players are continuing to screw up. Has Shelton even been in Missoula two months yet? WTF... I don't know.

As far as I know, Greg Coleman and Jeremy Pate were in their second year with the program. Pate a redshirt freshman and Coleman coming off a medical redshirt, if not mistaken. Shelton was reported to have enrolled in classes just this year after transferring and then came out for the team and appeared in two games that I noticed.

One can tab the box with the 'blue camera and lettering' for a video presentation as delivered by KPAX News personnel, after a probable short commercial, that is:

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=7345229

MaroonMafia
November 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
What a waste of an awesome opportunity. When I was on a scholarship, I did my fair share of stupid *****, but it mostly just involved the typical underage drinking and partying. Getting a free education was worth so much that I never allowed a bad decision on that level to get in the way of jeopardizing my scholly.

I played with a few guys that went above and beyond that (drugs, dealing, etc), but they were weeded out of the program before they became a headline in the newspapers. Makes me wonder why the same didn't happen with these guys. There's no way no one else in the locker room didn't know what these guys have been up to. Coaches, however, probably didn't know. Hauck and O'Day need to accept responsibility, but I don't think they should lose their job over this. They can't babysit every player 24/7.

I'm rambling now I guess, it's just really frustrating to be a Griz fan when this crap is going on. Hopefully this takes care of the remaining cancer on this team and I can enjoy cheering for the good kids still on this team...

TokyoGriz
November 12th, 2007, 02:43 AM
These are very serious charges, and if found guilty these idiots will be doing time for sure.

The University of Montana does deserve to be critisized in light of the wave of murders, assuaults, and kidnapings commited by the football team players.

The whole recruitment process needs to be looked at thoroughly and reviewed to attempt to prevent this from happening. Background checks, real follow up on student athletes who have known issues, etc.

If it was one incident here or there then I think we could chalk it up to young men being stupid.

But a whole string of incidents indicate that the Football program itself is negligent in its recruiting and education of the athletes.

If Bobby was asked to leave because of these incidents it might be appropriate. Or if other heads roll then let them, people in the program need to start taking these crimes seriously.

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2007, 03:55 AM

KPAX reports Hauck said he kicked them off the team:

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=7345229

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I will pile on under the assumption that these "players" were originally recruited from outside of Montana. If wrong, my apology is already been composed.

What ever happened to building UMs and MSUs programs largely with in state recruits? Those National Championships won with Montana recruits not good enough?

All the anger, disappointment, and venting should be directed at the schools administration, not at each other.

Please know, I am jealous of the ability of UM and MSU to field successful programs by using your resident athletes. I have WYOMING as the only in state football school, they go 95% out of state, and they SUCK. All of our quality kids go help make Chadron State and Carroll College successful. xmadx

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I will pile on under the assumption that these "players" were originally recruited from outside of Montana. If wrong, my apology is already been composed.

What ever happened to building UMs and MSUs programs largely with in state recruits? Those National Championships won with Montana recruits not good enough?

You're right that those three are all out-of-staters (Coleman from Illinois by way of Iowa St.; Shelton from California by way of the U of Arizona; Pate from Las Vegas).

However, more than half of the team (47/91—including the 3 arestees on the roster) are from Montana. That's quite a bit considering the population of this state.

Please know, I am jealous of the ability of UM and MSU to field successful programs by using your resident athletes. I have WYOMING as the only in state football school, they go 95% out of state, and they SUCK. All of our quality kids go help make Chadron State and Carroll College successful. xmadx

This is a little off topic, but you don't honestly think that those players would really make Wyoming successful, do you? Wyoming is 2 (or more) divisions higher than Chadron or Carroll. There are reasons most of those players didn't get IA/FBS offers. There just isn't a whole lot of football talent in Wyoming, now the smallest state in the Union. And also, Wyoming football doesn't really suck anymore. They're much better under Joe Glenn than they were under the previous regime.

OB55
November 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM
You're right that those three are all out-of-staters (Coleman from Illinois by way of Iowa St.; Shelton from California by way of the U of Arizona; Pate from Las Vegas).

However, more than half of the team (47/91—including the 3 arestees on the roster) are from Montana. That's quite a bit considering the population of this state.

This is a little off topic, but you don't honestly think that those players would really make Wyoming successful, do you? Wyoming is 2 (or more) divisions higher than Chadron or Carroll. There are reasons most of those players didn't get IA/FBS offers. There just isn't a whole lot of football talent in Wyoming, now the smallest state in the Union. And also, Wyoming football doesn't really suck anymore. They're much better under Joe Glenn than they were under the previous regime.

If Wyoming can't compete by putting at least a respectful amount of indigenous players on the roster, what's the point of trying to field a professional team in the state on the backs of it's taxpayers? And yes they suck, they just got blasted 50-0 after spending the prior week smack talking.

GrizzlyEdd
November 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said by everyone on here, Griz fan or not. I am sick to my stomach and my heart aches. Any of you who bleed your teams colors know what I am speaking of. I love the Griz.... I can take all the ribbing from everyone and expect it but what hurts beyond all is what some total idiots are doing to the vast majority of wonderful young men who play/bleed/break arms for the Griz.

I would hope that there is a total shake-up in the athletic department and their recruitment procedures. I would expect there to be an internal investigation and NO SECRECY from the AD or the coaching staff. The Griz fans deserve an explanation as do the rest of the nation. It is time for isht or get the ehll off the pot.

I would seriously rather see the Griz go 6-5 for the season and get rid of the scum than to go to the playoffs with all this crap hanging off the uniforms of good young men.

I don't know what to say to all of you out there. As a Griz fan since 1963 who has been through a ton of years where the Griz were doormats to a few years as a premier program and I can't tell you how ashamed I am. I am disgusted with the whole coaching staff & athletic department and feel for the pain I know the true and good Griz players feel.

I can only speak to the whole country as one Griz fan but from me to you please accept my apology for the good Griz players who are left to deal with all this.....:o

Ronin
November 12th, 2007, 08:44 AM
The only question I have is what will the coach do for disciplinary action?

One thing for certain the rest of the team is watching.

Hansel
November 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Coleman sounds like a winner

In February 20006, Greg Coleman Jr., 20, 2008 Sunset Dr., and Durrell D. Williams, 19, 1209 Willow Anderson, are accused of beating up Nathan Johnson, an ISU junior in civil engineering from Clinton, while in line for the bathroom at Club Element, 2401 Chamberlain St., Ames police said.

Before coming to Iowa State, Coleman was convicted in 2003 for assaulting an Iowa City police officer.

http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=16048563&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554314&rfi=6

Hansel
November 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
defensive end Mike Shelton have been suspended for spring practice for personal and disciplinary reasons at Arizona.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/174801

BisonBacker
November 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM

In February 20006, Greg Coleman Jr., 20, 2008 Sunset Dr., and Durrell D. Williams, 19, 1209 Willow Anderson, are accused of beating up Nathan Johnson, an ISU junior in civil engineering from Clinton, while in line for the bathroom at Club Element, 2401 Chamberlain St., Ames police said.

Before coming to Iowa State, Coleman was convicted in 2003 for assaulting an Iowa City police officer.

http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=16048563&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554314&rfi=6

This is the kind of thing I was referring to in my previous post. Obviously this stuff isn't that hard to find out so why didn't the Griz coaches do their homework before offering these guys? If it's because they are only concerned with winning and losing then I say they deserve to be called on it and if it means losing their jobs so be it. It's a sad day in college football at any level when the recruiter has to include a fingerprint kit as part of his recruitment tool kit. Shame on the Griz coaches for not digging deeper to find this stuff out.

APPSTER
November 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Any chance that the addition to Wa-Griz is for a jail?

Proud Griz Man
November 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM

I must admit, that quip made me laugh.

These are really serious issues, and Griz fans are waiting to see how UM handles the discipline/suspensions. Meanwhile, the Griz players and coaches are preparing for a big game against Montana State.

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM

xlolx That's a real knee-slapper, hillbilly. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Mountain Panther
November 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Glad we passed on him. xthumbsupx

Hansel
November 12th, 2007, 09:37 AM
at least the po-po let Coleman start at RB against Idaho St before arresting him

do the Griz get Hilliard back next week?

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 09:43 AM
at least the po-po let Coleman start at RB against Idaho St before arresting him

I read he had surgery on a broken thumb. THAT doesn't sound good... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Proud Griz Man
November 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/images/11/09/erinandrews_clicks.jpg

According to certain sources, there is a chance Lex Hilliard can play saturday against MSU.
Based on internet rumors, I understand that Lex hurt his left thumb in the Portland St. game and had surgery to repair ligament damage.

Tailbone
November 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM

The facts are bad enough without baseless speculation.
Word is that the police were unable to make a case before the ISU trip and arrested the players immediately upon their arrival in Missoula.

Don't know about Lex.

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/images/11/09/erinandrews_clicks.jpg

According to certain sources, there is a chance Lex Hilliard can play saturday against MSU.
Based on internet rumors, I understand that Lex hurt his left thumb in the Portland St. game and had surgery to repair ligament damage.

Lex: What are my chances?
Doc: (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000452/) Not good.
Lex (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000120/) You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Doc: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lex: (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000120/) So you're telling me there's a chance.

ncbears
November 12th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Where's that jock-sniffer Ronblow? He's always on here starting threads when Montana does something good, but he's no where to be found when things flip.

Houndawg
November 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Montana isn't alone here, SIU just booted a starting DL and UNI dismissed a starter a couple of weeks ago. I would think, though that Coleman being a 1A xfer would have been thoroughly scrutinized.

SCPALADIN
November 12th, 2007, 10:25 AM
"We do everything we can to try to educate our players and avoid something like this. It just sickens me that this will reflect negatively on the other 100 great, hardworking kids we have on our football team," he (Hauck) said in a written statement.

Sounds like a recruiting issue to me...Its difficult to take a kid with a past history of problems, place him in the middle of Montana and expect things to change merely because you've "tried to educate" them. Hopefully this, eventually, turns into a positive for the school and the program...if not a wake-up call.

APPride
November 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM
xlolx That's a real knee-slapper, hillbilly. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

don't play w/ Yosef...

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
don't play w/ Yosef...

If I don't play with mysef, nobody will.... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

SeattleGriz
November 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
"We do everything we can to try to educate our players and avoid something like this. It just sickens me that this will reflect negatively on the other 100 great, hardworking kids we have on our football team," he (Hauck) said in a written statement.

Sounds like a recruiting issue to me...Its difficult to take a kid with a past history of problems, place him in the middle of Montana and expect things to change merely because you've "tried to educate" them. Hopefully this, eventually, turns into a positive for the school and the program...if not a wake-up call.

After this summer, it sounds as if the U has been trying to go the extra step. Taken from this mornings Missoulian:

http://missoulian.com/articles/2007/11/12/news/local/news02.txt

Last summer, two Grizzly football players made headlines following a shooting death in Southern California. Junior cornerback Jimmy Wilson was arrested for allegedly shooting a man to death, and cornerback Qwenton Freeman, who allegedly witnessed the murder, was dismissed from the team after he was arrested for disorderly conduct in Missoula a few weeks later.

In the wake of the summertime arrests, UM worked to implement a new mentoring program, educational speakers were brought in to talk about the power of good decision making, athletes were subjected to random drug testing, and in some cases, more thorough background checks were initiated for athletes and recruits, O'Day said.

“It gets to the point where you wonder what more can you do,” he said. “In all of our sports, our coaches and staff spend countless hours in recruiting, trying to get to know these young men and women. We spend time with their coaches, families, we talk to their teachers and we get those recruits together with our current student-athletes to make sure they are a good fit for our program.”

BigApp
November 12th, 2007, 11:00 AM
will this Saturday's game now be called "The Parole of the Wild"? xlolx

tough news at a bad time o' the year

Cleets
November 12th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Anybody remember the University of Miami in the early 90's... every month a new player got arrested

Ahh... those were the salad days, when I could say, "See, those major programs are all corrupt with poison" and so forth...

Today: We have Montana xoopsx in the news... I'll admit it keeps things entertaining...

BisonBacker
November 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
If thats your version of entertainment you can keep it xnonox

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Amen to that. xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
November 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
It is just bad news on top of bad news. I think the recruiting practices need to be given a total overhaul.

biobengal
November 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Karma.....???

It does exist!!!

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
defensive end Mike Shelton have been suspended for spring practice for personal and disciplinary reasons at Arizona.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/174801

Roid rage ??????xchinscratchx

Cleets
November 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM

well if this wasn't entertaining (in some way) what the hell are you posting on this thread for..?

I'll rephrase my previous post: DAMN ENTERTAINING...!!!!

do I feel good about other misfortunes, no...

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
will this Saturday's game now be called "The Parole of the Wild"? xlolx

tough news at a bad time o' the year
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

or the Lock up your child.

GRZZ
November 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
The only question I have is what will the coach do for disciplinary action?

One thing for certain the rest of the team is watching.

KPAX has reported that the players have been kicked off the team. Thats a start, obviously other things need to be done but kicking them off the team is a positive disciplinary action for the rest of the team to watch.

grizbeer
November 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Any chance that the addition to Wa-Griz is for a jail?and changing the song they play when the players run out of the tunnel to Scoobey Snacks by Fun Lovin' Criminals? Probably not.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I am in no way going to condone the actions of these 3 individuals. I do believe it would be hypocritical of us all to say no one deserves a second chance when making a mistake in life. What I mean by this is, just because some kid has troubles growing up, doesn't always mean they will be a bad kid. We have all needed a second chance at times, it looks like these guys just didn't take advantage of it and will make the school and program pay the price as well. With that said, the coaches need to look at how much they want to babysit these types of kids and keep them on a shorter leash than the rest, if they don't want to be subject to strict rules, then let them go somewhere else. Just my cxtwocentsx

/me goes looking for a flame retardant jump suit :D

bisonmike
November 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
No piling on here either. Montana gave them the opportunity of a lifetime to get an education, live in paradise (Missoula)and play football for the best program in 1AA.

They'll pay for their crimes and I feel bad that UM has to suffer the undeserved consequences.

That sad thing is these kids probably don't realize how good they had it. They also probably don't care that they embarassed themselves, their school and the fans. The one good thing is that coaching staff might do a little more homework on some of these guys coming out of high school. Unfortunately another bad is that some kid who could have turn his life around with a schollie, might not get a shot now.

Griz0383
November 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I will wait to pass judgment until I get more information about what really happened but they should have never put themselves in the position to look like an ass#$%%^. I feel for the players and coaches, they work so hard and to be rewarded with this behavior at this point in the season is unimaginable. Shame on them and If they are guilty than I hope the book is thrown at them! In military schools if you bring shame on yourself and school the students and institution turns their backs to the perps letting them know that are no longer welcome and its time for them to go!

BigApp
November 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

or the Lock up your child.

which you like better:

Parole of the Wild
Brawl of the Vile
Brawl of the Wild: Law & Order Edition

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM
which you like better:

Parole of the Wild
Brawl of the Vile
Brawl of the Wild: Law & Order Edition

Rolls off the tongue better.... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

BigApp
November 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Rolls off the tongue better.... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 02:40 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xsmiley_wix

Hey, if we can't laugh, we'll start cryin'.... xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Grizo406
November 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
This really hurts!

Not a home improvement effort, but it looks like our "Glass House" just got a whole lot bigger, and that bites!xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

I don't even feel like smacking the Bobcats...but that might change later in the week.

TokyoGriz
November 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM
The University may have changed some recruiting policys this summer. But after years of carelessness there are still bad apples in the hopper.

Honestly, I can understand kids who do drugs. Its not good, but probably about 30 percent of U of M kids do some drugs here and there. So its a fairly common occurance with college age people. Most people outgrow this phase of their lives.

Its the violence and sheer callousness of the murders, beating of girls, kidnapping and robberys were the line really becomes clear. Once you embrace being a violent person most people dont change. I guess Coleman and Company really thought they were getting "Respect" with this attitude. Maybe they will get more respect in prison were people like them tend to hang out and feed off each other.

The coach and university should feel bad about this. Someone should take the blame because it is deserved. Bobby has been with this program for 5 years and is directly responsible for overseeing its integrity.

DGriz
November 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Earlier this week I read a letter to the editor in a home town paper about U of M safety Torrey Thomas. It was from the mother of a little girl in the state who's name is also Tori Thomas. The little girl took a liking to Torrey becasue of his name and her mother bought her a jersey. The mom then sent it to the athletic department and Torrey signed it and sent it to her. The mother went on to say that the little girl sent a letter to Torrey with her e-mail address and he responded by sending her mother and her tickets to the game. She talked aboout what a great guy Torrey is for putting the time in to make a young fan happy even with his busy schedule. Torrey is not only a great athlete but a great student. It made me proud to be a Griz fan when I read the letter, especially after all of the crap that had gone on this summer. Then these idiots go and decide to commit crimes and deminish the good deeds that other players are doing off the field. The Griz for kids drive is a perfect example of how certain players dedicate themselves to the betterment of their communities and team. Every team has these ass#*^**, but they also have great players. We all have to remember this. These thugs they brought in were given a chance to go to school on the Montana taxpayers dime. Now we will be spending more money to send them through the court system and hopefully prison. MSU and U of M can say what they want about each other but the whole state is in this together.

Sorry for the rant, I feel better. Now I need a drink ( I am 21).xlolx

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM
If Wyoming can't compete by putting at least a respectful amount of indigenous players on the roster, what's the point of trying to field a professional team in the state on the backs of it's taxpayers? And yes they suck, they just got blasted 50-0 after spending the prior week smack talking.

I guess "suck" is a relative thing. They were consistently a 1-win team before Glenn got there.

Of course there's a point. What difference does it make what state the players are from? It's not like U.S. states are at war with each other, and they haven't been for 142 years. The real reason to recruit in-state instead of out-of-state is because it's a lot cheaper & easier. There shouldn't be any "moral" obligation to recruit within your own state. Winning football games brings money to the school & therefore the state regardless who's playing on the team.

srgrizizen
November 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM
A recent newspaper article pointed out that UM football players had the highest graduation rate in the BSC, I believe. Higher than the overall population of entering freshman. Is it the freshman recruits or mostly transfers causing the problems? Most of these problems seem to come from out of state transfers, often from 1-A programs. It's understandable that I-A drop downs would want to join a successful FCS program, but it appears the coaches need to look much closer at the reasons these guys are transfering and go with the guys they have recruited out of high school. This is really disgusting.

terrierbob
November 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I doubt "anger management" and mentoring classes will change a thug to a model citizen. Sounds like the coach took a chance on iffy prospects and got burned.

Green26
November 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
They weren't iffy prospects. The 2 transfers were in good standing when they left their I-A programs, to my knowledge. Only 1 of the 3 had had any prior legal problems, to my knowledge. The one with a legal problem involved a fairly bad prior assault (of cops) after he ran from a party when cops arrived--in June of his junior year in high school, or about 4 and 1/2 years ago. Both transfers were recommended by the coaches at their prior schools.

Grizaholic17
November 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I doubt "anger management" and mentoring classes will change a thug to a model citizen. Sounds like the coach took a chance on iffy prospects and got burned.

ummm no. As i recall they were good kids. Just took a wrong step. I remember reading bios on them when they were recruited.

TokyoGriz
November 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I just wanted to post this to inform all of us on the ongoing situation.

This is the official charges and is the Arrest Affidavit the police have charged these guys with.

Very informative, I suggest reading it to get the story straight.

http://www.missoulian.com/123/grizarrests.pdf

BisonBacker
November 13th, 2007, 07:23 AM
They weren't iffy prospects. The 2 transfers were in good standing when they left their I-A programs, to my knowledge. Only 1 of the 3 had had any prior legal problems, to my knowledge. The one with a legal problem involved a fairly bad prior assault (of cops) after he ran from a party when cops arrived--in June of his junior year in high school, or about 4 and 1/2 years ago. Both transfers were recommended by the coaches at their prior schools.

xlolx xlolx xlolx I wonder whyxlolx xlolx xlolx They wanted to get rid of the headline grabbers xlolx xlolx xlolx

GreatAppSt
November 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx I wonder whyxlolx xlolx xlolx They wanted to get rid of the headline grabbers xlolx xlolx xlolx

xlolx xlolx ;) xoopsx

Grizzaholic
November 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
After reading today's paper I am ashamed and embarrassed (sp) and I don't really know why. It has absolutely nothing to do with me personally. I did none of those things. Maybe it is because the football team that I support with my money and heart every saturday just fell off the deep end. I cannot remember anything like this happening in the football program and in one year, maybe 1 and a half, it has gone from the elite of programs in football and one of the many that have had near zero problems to Miami.

I am going to continue to support this team because most players are good upstanding citizens (sp). A few sure can ruin it for the rest of them but I would like to think we can move ahead and get rid of the trouble makers and the followers to again make this institution one that a highschool student/athlete would love to come to.

GreatAppSt
November 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I am going to continue to support this team because most players are good upstanding citizens (sp). A few sure can ruin it for the rest of them but I would like to think we can move ahead and get rid of the trouble makers and the followers to again make this institution one that a highschool student/athlete would love to come to.

I am Henry the 8th I am Henry the 8th I am I am. second verse same as the first.xviolinx

AZGrizFan
November 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I just wanted to post this to inform all of us on the ongoing situation.

This is the official charges and is the Arrest Affidavit the police have charged these guys with.

Very informative, I suggest reading it to get the story straight.

http://www.missoulian.com/123/grizarrests.pdf

I am literally sick to my stomach after reading that.

It comes as NO surprise to me that Quenten Freeman was also involved in this.

What a complete bunch of bumbling dumbasses... xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

sharkeycox
November 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM

No piling on here. Montana has one of the premier programs and will continue to do so. You AD and coach will handle this properly. I am sure the criminal justice system in Missoula will do their job as well.

You get over a 100 kids on a team and chances are pretty good some of these chaps will be bona fide knuckleheads.

The right steps were taken by Coach Hauck. The Griz fans need to chill and support the vast majority of good kids you have at Montana.

BTW, I hope McNeese knocks the snot outta ya'll this year . We owe you!!xpeacex

youwouldno
November 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Hauck wants an FBS gig and is willing to use low-character players to get there. It's that simple. The AD needs to set him straight, but in any case Hauck's approach backfired. These problems are going to impact his future prospects.

GreatAppSt
November 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
No piling on here.

Well I'm pilingxthumbsupx
http://forum.bcdb.com/forum/WHAT_NO_GRAVY_Dog_steals_cat_(Chow_Hound)_P12904/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=804;guest =13159362

And this time I'll not forget the GRAVY!xnodx

I'll be here all week, thank you.:D

BigApp
November 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM
was this front page fodder for the student newspaper??

BigApp
November 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Well I'm pilingxthumbsupx
http://forum.bcdb.com/forum/WHAT_NO_GRAVY_Dog_steals_cat_(Chow_Hound)_P12904/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=804;guest =13159362

And this time I'll not forget the GRAVY!xnodx

I'll be here all week, thank you.:D

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

McCowboyFan
November 13th, 2007, 08:21 PM
No piling on.

And you, as fans, should know that this is not viewed by most of us out here as a reflection on your school or the rest of the team.

Stuff happens. If it happened to my team, my school, I'd be mad as hell; but, assuming the problem is handled appropriately, I'd still support the team.

Geaux Cowboys!

BigApp
November 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM
which location is most likely for these miscreants?
http://www.prisonersofthecensus.org/images/montana_correctional_institutions.png

D1B
November 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hauck wants an FBS gig and is willing to use low-character players to get there. It's that simple. The AD needs to set him straight, but in any case Hauck's approach backfired. These problems are going to impact his future prospects.

No they won't. All coaches have to deal with that crap at some time in their career. Young men sometimes make bad decisions.

Hansel
November 13th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Coleman had been arrested multiple times- once for beating up a police officer- he is beyond iffy

the other transfer was suspended once for "personal and disciplinary reasons" which may or may not be a big deal... he is "iffy"

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2007, 10:55 PM

I don't buy that for a second. Hauck was around with Rick Neuheisel, so I would expect him to try and squash ANY and ALL improprieties. Especially if he wants to move up to the next level, you don't do it by building a "will do anything" attitude at the lower divisions.

Green26
November 14th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Hansel, where's the evidence that Coleman was involved in multiple legal problems? I'd love to see some examples or cites to where he was charged with anything else.

Why was Coleman in good standing at Iowa St. when he left?

The coaches (in all sports) and the athletic dept. at Montana liked Coleman. They are very surprised by what he apparently did.

Hansel, me thinks you don't know what you're talking about. I have noticed that previously too.

GreatAppSt
November 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM
shifting suspicion?xeyebrowx

GtFllsGriz
November 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
This iGREAT ARTICLE, sheds some light on things, and may change some negative opinions:

From the Missoulian--
UM officials voice support for Hauck
By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian

With the Montana Grizzlies and Montana State Bobcats on the verge of the 107th “Brawl of the Wild,” fans have wondered whether Griz coach Bobby Hauck's fate will be that of Mike Kramer, who won't be on the sidelines in Bozeman on Saturday.

“No,” said both UM athletic director Jim O'Day and school president George Dennison on Tuesday, a day after Griz football players Greg Coleman, Jeramy Pate and Mike Shelton appeared in District Court on felony robbery, assault and kidnapping charges.

“I think it's a fair question,” said O'Day, who is in his third year as Montana's athletic director. “It's a very fair question in light of what we're going through. It's one that I'm sure a lot of people want to know: What do we think?
“I think there's a lot of misunderstanding of the situation at Montana State. The piece that doesn't add in here is the educational piece.”

Kramer, who coached the Bobcat football team for eight seasons, was dismissed after former receiver Ricky Gatewood was arrested on drug charges in late May. Gatewood was the sixth current or former MSU athlete arrested for drugs or murder in a little over a year.

But the Bobcats' continued struggles with academics - in early May they came in below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Report guidelines, for a third straight year - also had a bearing.

While Dennison and O'Day find the Grizzlies' latest legal troubles disconcerting, they are in full support for Hauck, whose teams have fared well in the classroom as well as in the Big Sky Conference. The Griz aren't on the verge of changing coaches.

“I don't believe that we are,” Dennison said. “I say that because I am still persuaded that our coach takes a lot of care when he does recruit student-athletes. He talks with the families, he talks with the coaches, the counselors and other people they know.

“He tries to make sure he's recruiting students who are capable of doing well athletically as well as academically and socially. I think he's doing all those things right.”

Dennison referred often to Coleman, who came to Montana from Iowa State, as an example of a player who jumped through hoops to join the football team. The running back had been arrested for assaulting a police officer while still in high school, and he later had a different assault charge dropped while at ISU.

All of this was made clear upon his application to UM; while Hauck had a say in whether Coleman was on the team, the running back had to go before an admissions committee to get into Montana.

“It wasn't Bob Hauck's decision to admit him,” Dennison said. “It is a committee of administrators who look at the entire situation and make a decision. That applies to every student. If they don't disclose those kinds of incidents, then they're subject to expulsion.”

Coleman was admitted in time for the fall semester of 2006 and appeared to fit in. He broke his foot in the season opener at Iowa, and took a medical redshirt. This year, he rushed for 259 yards in a backup role, including 105 in Montana's 27-14 win at Idaho State on Saturday.

Then he and Shelton were arrested Sunday morning upon their return from the game. Hauck had made Pate stay behind because the redshirt freshman had missed class.

“We don't recruit transfers, they recruit us,” Dennison noted. “They apply and then we look at them carefully and try to make on a decision based on everything we can find out.

“There were some pretty big names that vouched for Greg Coleman. Jim Tressel of Ohio State, the coach of Iowa (Kirk Ferentz), plus the coach at Iowa State (Dan McCarney).”

That didn't make his arrest any easier to take.

“(I was) very disappointed, and very concerned, also,” Dennison said. “Very embarrassed, I guess one would say.”

Coleman and Shelton, from the University of Arizona, are transfers from a four-year school. So was former player Qwenton Freeman, also from Arizona, who is a suspect in the same robbery that landed the other two in jail. It follows that fans will want UM to stay away from the four-year transfers, but that is simplistic.

“If there's one thing I will say, it's sometimes people ruin it for others,” O'Day said. “Take that as you want to perceive it. Moving forward, we'll be looking at more things, and we've been trying to be proactive. You just hate to be reactive; that's what's unfortunate.

“There are opportunities, too, for second chances, regardless of where the student-athlete is from - Great Falls, or Billings, or Laramie, Wyo., or Colorado Springs (Colo.) or Los Angeles. Everybody deserves a second chance no matter what the reason. I think that's no different here.”

Hauck is 51-13 in his fifth year at UM, and working on an unbeaten season as the Grizzlies head to Bozeman for the Griz-Cat game. The Griz are 10-0 for only the fourth time in school history. The latest incident doesn't change that or his job status.

“Bobby does a lot of very good things behind the scenes,” O'Day said. “At times, Bobby may have that rough exterior, but he's got a good heart and he cares about people. When you get to know the real Bobby, you understand why he's a talented individual who has a bright future.”

“He does think about the welfare of the student-athletes,” Dennison said. “As long as I'm convinced of that and convinced that he's doing the job that he was hired to do, then I'm going to be supportive of him.”

s a good read. Let's move on. It could happen anywhere.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM
What's that "Guess Who" line supposed to mean?

This iGREAT ARTICLE, sheds some light on things, and may change some negative opinions:

From the Missoulian--

Don't post full articles on the forum. Just post part of it and give a link. It's a copyright infringement to post full articles.

GreatAppSt
November 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM

From the Missoulian--

With the Montana Grizzlies and Montana State Bobcats on the verge of the 107th “Brawl of the Wild,” fans have wondered whether Griz coach Bobby Hauck's fate will be that of Mike Kramer, who won't be on the sidelines in Bozeman on Saturday.

“No,” said both UM athletic director Jim O'Day and school president George Dennison on Tuesday, a day after Griz football players Greg Coleman, Jeramy Pate and Mike Shelton appeared in District Court on felony robbery, assault and kidnapping charges.

“I think it's a fair question,” said O'Day, who is in his third year as Montana's athletic director. “It's a very fair question in light of what we're going through. It's one that I'm sure a lot of people want to know: What do we think?
“I think there's a lot of misunderstanding of the situation at Montana State. The piece that doesn't add in here is the educational piece.”

Kramer, who coached the Bobcat football team for eight seasons, was dismissed after former receiver Ricky Gatewood was arrested on drug charges in late May. Gatewood was the sixth current or former MSU athlete arrested for drugs or murder in a little over a year.

But the Bobcats' continued struggles with academics - in early May they came in below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Report guidelines, for a third straight year - also had a bearing.

While Dennison and O'Day find the Grizzlies' latest legal troubles disconcerting, they are in full support for Hauck, whose teams have fared well in the classroom as well as in the Big Sky Conference. The Griz aren't on the verge of changing coaches.

“I don't believe that we are,” Dennison said. “I say that because I am still persuaded that our coach takes a lot of care when he does recruit student-athletes. He talks with the families, he talks with the coaches, the counselors and other people they know.

“He tries to make sure he's recruiting students who are capable of doing well athletically as well as academically and socially. I think he's doing all those things right.”

Dennison referred often to Coleman, who came to Montana from Iowa State, as an example of a player who jumped through hoops to join the football team. The running back had been arrested for assaulting a police officer while still in high school, and he later had a different assault charge dropped while at ISU.

All of this was made clear upon his application to UM; while Hauck had a say in whether Coleman was on the team, the running back had to go before an admissions committee to get into Montana.

“It wasn't Bob Hauck's decision to admit him,” Dennison said. “It is a committee of administrators who look at the entire situation and make a decision. That applies to every student. If they don't disclose those kinds of incidents, then they're subject to expulsion.”

Coleman was admitted in time for the fall semester of 2006 and appeared to fit in. He broke his foot in the season opener at Iowa, and took a medical redshirt. This year, he rushed for 259 yards in a backup role, including 105 in Montana's 27-14 win at Idaho State on Saturday.

Then he and Shelton were arrested Sunday morning upon their return from the game. Hauck had made Pate stay behind because the redshirt freshman had missed class.

“We don't recruit transfers, they recruit us,” Dennison noted. “They apply and then we look at them carefully and try to make on a decision based on everything we can find out.

“There were some pretty big names that vouched for Greg Coleman. Jim Tressel of Ohio State, the coach of Iowa (Kirk Ferentz), plus the coach at Iowa State (Dan McCarney).”

That didn't make his arrest any easier to take.

“(I was) very disappointed, and very concerned, also,” Dennison said. “Very embarrassed, I guess one would say.”

Coleman and Shelton, from the University of Arizona, are transfers from a four-year school. So was former player Qwenton Freeman, also from Arizona, who is a suspect in the same robbery that landed the other two in jail. It follows that fans will want UM to stay away from the four-year transfers, but that is simplistic.

“If there's one thing I will say, it's sometimes people ruin it for others,” O'Day said. “Take that as you want to perceive it. Moving forward, we'll be looking at more things, and we've been trying to be proactive. You just hate to be reactive; that's what's unfortunate.

“There are opportunities, too, for second chances, regardless of where the student-athlete is from - Great Falls, or Billings, or Laramie, Wyo., or Colorado Springs (Colo.) or Los Angeles. Everybody deserves a second chance no matter what the reason. I think that's no different here.”

Hauck is 51-13 in his fifth year at UM, and working on an unbeaten season as the Grizzlies head to Bozeman for the Griz-Cat game. The Griz are 10-0 for only the fourth time in school history. The latest incident doesn't change that or his job status.

“Bobby does a lot of very good things behind the scenes,” O'Day said. “At times, Bobby may have that rough exterior, but he's got a good heart and he cares about people. When you get to know the real Bobby, you understand why he's a talented individual who has a bright future.”

“He does think about the welfare of the student-athletes,” Dennison said. “As long as I'm convinced of that and convinced that he's doing the job that he was hired to do, then I'm going to be supportive of him.”

s a good read. Let's move on. It could happen anywhere.

Sugar coating and excuses talk about covering for your guyxoopsx . The highlighted part answers the question posed to Hansel earlier now doesn't it.xlolx

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Sugar coating and excuses talk about covering for your guyxoopsx . The highlighted part answers the question posed to Hansel earlier now doesn't it.xlolx

Don't let facts get in the wayxcoffeex

FCS Go!
November 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM
What's that "Guess Who" line supposed to mean?

I couldn't quite bring myself to type out "Montana" in the thread title:(

Hansel
November 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I also posted that same info in posts 51 and 52 of this thread, but I guess some are too lazy to read ;) xcoffeex

jstate83
November 14th, 2007, 12:31 PM
xsmhx

TCisMYhero
November 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but FWIW. From the online court records in the state of Iowa:

02851 STAA109305 STATE vs. COLEMAN, GREGORY H COLEMAN, GREGORY H 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

02851AMSTAP797VT CITY OF AMES VS COLEMAN, GREGORY H COLEMAN, GREGORY H 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

05501 STP319206 STATE vs. COLEMAN, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

02851 CICI003868 AMES VS GREG COLEMAN COLEMAN JR, GREG H 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

02851 SMSM061912 ST V GREG COLEMAN JR ST1379680 COLEMAN JR, GREG H 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

02851 STP316589 STATE vs. COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

02851 STP316653 STATE vs. COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

02851 STP316654 STATE vs. COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

05771 STP323933 STATE OF IOWA vs COLEMAN JR, GREGORY COLEMAN JR, GREGORY 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06521 AGCR065581 ST VS COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06521 LACV065867 CITY OF IOWA CITY VS GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06521 STIC146755 STATE OF IOWA vs COLEMAN, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06521 STIC146756 STATE OF IOWA vs COLEMAN, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06521 STP121XHL STATE OF IOWA vs COLEMAN, GREGORY H COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06521ICSTIC129884 CITY OF IOWA CITY vs COLEMAN, GREGORY H COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06521ICSTIC145690 IOWA CITY vs. COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

06571 STCR626000 STATE OF IOWA vs COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN COLEMAN JR, GREGORY HARDEN 04/26/1985 DEFENDANT

Who was it that was looking for proof of Coleman's legal troubles? You're welcome.

TCisMYhero
November 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TrialSimpFrame

That's the link for the website. Just type his name in, and you will get all 5 chapters of his legal troubles.

srgrizizen
November 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM

This is one of the stupidest posts ever. In case you haven't been paying attention, EVERY recent Grizzly coach gets I-A offers and moves up if they want to, and Hauck will, too. Moreover, it isn't like UM needed any of these clowns to win. Half of them never even saw the field, and the ones that did could or will be replaced with little drop-off. While many Griz fans have issues with Hauck's approach to the media and style of offense, I think it's hard to saddle him with all the blame for this kind of thing. For example, if it was so obvious that Coleman was an incorrible thug, why did the Iowa and Iowa State coaches endorse him? (Insert facile joke about wanting to get rid of him here). And if the idea was to win at all costs, why accept thugs who can't even beat out native Montanan starters? Plus, the Griz didn't go looking for the transfers, they knocked on Hauck's door asking for a shot.

BTW - Thanks to the McNeese fans whose good wishes are appreciated. You may well wind up socking it to us on the football field, a totally legitimate fan's desire, as opposed to taking cheap potshots like Youwouldno and BisonBacker while rejoicing in every shred of bad news around a program you aspire to equal.

mlbowl
November 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM
This is one of the stupidest posts ever. In case you haven't been paying attention, EVERY recent Grizzly coach gets I-A offers and moves up if they want to, and Hauck will, too. Moreover, it isn't like UM needed any of these clowns to win. Half of them never even saw the field, and the ones that did could or will be replaced with little drop-off. While many Griz fans have issues with Hauck's approach to the media and style of offense, I think it's hard to saddle him with all the blame for this kind of thing. For example, if it was so obvious that Coleman was an incorrible thug, why did the Iowa and Iowa State coaches endorse him? (Insert facile joke about wanting to get rid of him here). And if the idea was to win at all costs, why accept thugs who can't even beat out native Montanan starters? Plus, the Griz didn't go looking for the transfers, they knocked on Hauck's door asking for a shot.

BTW - Thanks to the McNeese fans whose good wishes are appreciated. You may well wind up socking it to us on the football field, a totally legitimate fan's desire, as opposed to taking cheap potshots like Youwouldno and BisonBacker while rejoicing in every shred of bad news around a program you aspire to equal.

Nice post.xhurrayx xbowx xhurrayx

BigApp
November 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TrialSimpFrame

That's the link for the website. Just type his name in, and you will get all 5 chapters of his legal troubles.

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Grizzaholic
November 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Great job.xthumbsupx

Appaholic
November 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
.....to taking cheap potshots like Youwouldno and BisonBacker while rejoicing in every shred of bad news around a program you aspire to equal.

Didn't NDSU beat Montana at Wa/Griz the last time they played...xwhistlex

NC Aggie
November 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
For everyone else where do you feel the line should be at for recruiters questioning of recruits?

There is no doubt in my mind that some of this could be nipped in the recruiting process. At one extreme, do you ever hear of Stanford athletes doing stuff like this. At other extreme I present the jury with UT (that's Tennessee and not Texas and I attended school there). Of course UT does better than Stanford athletically. I suspect many recruiters turn a blind eye to problem indicators if they see a kid can run a 4.3 40.

mlbowl
November 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Didn't NDSU beat Montana at Wa/Griz the last time they played...xwhistlex

Yes, 4 YEARS AGO, the Bison beat the Grizxrolleyesx App beat Michigan this year...I guess they'll be joining the Big 10 next yearxnutsx

P.S. - Nothing personal NDSU fans...I have great respect for your program and its accomplishmentsxnodx

MaroonMafia
November 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Didn't Montana beat App St. at Wa/Griz the last time they played...xwhistlex

Fixed it for you!
xthumbsupx

Black Saturday
November 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM
if it isnt montana st its montana... :(

I think they should change the name of the Brawl in the Wild to something more fitting.xnonox

mlbowl
November 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I think they should change the name of the Brawl in the Wild to something more fitting.xnonox

Looks like you've already done thatxnonox ...I know it's only the 107th time this rivalry game will be played.....It's the "Brawl of the Wild".

BigApp
November 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM

this was settled a couple of days ago:

Parole of the Wild

Hansel
November 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM
this was settled a couple of days ago:

Parole of the Wild

I think this game might be a "shootout" xeekx xeekx

BigApp
November 15th, 2007, 09:48 PM

http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-614.gif

Appaholic
November 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Fixed it for you!
xthumbsupx

Of course it was in Wa/Griz....you won't play anyone decent anywhere else.......and didn't have the balls to show up in Chatty last year...xwhistlex

Tod
November 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Of course it was in Wa/Griz....you won't play anyone decent anywhere else.......and didn't have the balls to show up in Chatty last year...xwhistlex

Uh...They were D-II at the time. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

How many D-II teams do you travel to play?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2007, 10:58 PM

I get it, you're drunk. That was a playoff game and the committee sent you here. We've never been to App for OOC and you've never came here for OOC. That seems fair to me.

GreatAppSt
November 15th, 2007, 11:32 PM

xlolx xlolx

I do have a concern for this game if the temps that frostbite to exposed skin is possible will either team really want to issue the proper equipment to protect the players?
http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/FL81-lge.gif

The Cats
November 16th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Re: 3 Players Arrested. Guess Who?

My guess would be GSU.

GOKATS
November 16th, 2007, 12:11 AM

It's only been the Brawl of the Wild the last few years trumped up by one of the media pimps. Prior to that it's been called the 'Divide War', etc.

Fact is it's Cat/Griz- always has been, always will.xthumbsupx

and you can take your little barb and stick it......................, well, you know where.xnonox

Houndawg
November 16th, 2007, 04:26 AM
If the Cats lose a close one I can hear the cries of "We was robbed!":D

BigApp
November 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I think this game comes down to the final gun.

GRZZ
November 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
If this wasn't a thread picking on Montana, this would be in smack by now. Just my honest opinion.

Grizzaholic
November 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
If this wasn't a thread picking on Montana, this would be in smack by now. Just my honest opinion.

Don't be angry. It is just the way things are. Montana is held to a different standard.

Appaholic
November 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Uh...They were D-II at the time. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

How many D-II teams do you travel to play?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Talking about our game he nailed me on.....playoffs.....

Appaholic
November 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I think this game comes down to the final gun.

I agree....I predict the Griz sneak into Bozeman and steal a victory....

Appaholic
November 16th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Don't be angry. It is just the way things are. Montana is held to a different standard.

xviolinx xviolinx xviolinx

BigApp
November 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM

maybe, until you realize MSU is just as much of a target xreadx

GreatAppSt
November 17th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I actully hope UM wins, because if they don't the excuses (injury/other player losses) on here will be more plentiful than Plea agreements in Missoula.:p

MaroonMafia
November 17th, 2007, 01:48 AM
There sure is a lot of smack in this thread from a certain team who can't claim a victory against the Griz...

GreatAppSt
November 17th, 2007, 01:54 AM
And we can't claim a # of felony arrests/conviction/murders victory against the Griz either.;)

SeattleGriz
November 17th, 2007, 02:33 AM
And we can't claim a # of felony arrests/conviction/murders victory against the Griz either.;)

I would have to say your cops suck, for we all know those boys don't sing in the choir.

Even though it is hearsay, I had a very interesting discussion with a young lady who wrote for the App State paper.

Needless to say, your glass house isn't so great.

ASUG8
November 17th, 2007, 08:23 AM
It could have happened anywhere. Seems like this type of thing used to be isolated to teams like Miami (Fl). It's too bad that both UM and MSU have had issues this season, but it's certainly no indictment of the state of Montana. I'm curious like another poster about background checks, etc. For most of us, it would be tough to get much of a record by the time we're 18, but some kids with athletic talent have a juvie record as long as your arm by then. I don't know if some programs screen for this or not, but again it's too bad both programs got stung this year (no sarcasm intended).

BigApp
November 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM
There sure is a lot of smack in this thread from a certain team who can't claim a victory against the Griz...

we sure would have enjoyed the opportunity, but unfortunately your AD said you 'couldn't afford' to play l'il ol' Appalachian.
http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-11559.gif

before you respond, please use the 'SEARCH' function above...

Green26
November 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
None of these 3, nor the prior 3 from incidents earlier in the summer, had legal records/problems, except as follows.

Coleman had a bad assault conviction from the end of his junior year in high school, when he ran when cops showed up at a party. He struggled with a handful of cops, and one dislocated a shoulder. Served 30 days in jail. Was eventually given scholarship to Iowa St. Had a minor problem in his sophomore year there, when he pushed someone who had pushed him in line at a bathroom in a bar. Was suspended from the team briefly, but nothing came of the matter and was back on the team in good standing right away. Decided to transfer on his own. Was recommended by the Iowa St. coaches, as well as by people like Tressel and Ferenz who had recruited him. Was well-liked by coaches and the athletic dept. in Montana and had had no prior problems in Montana.

Freeman, a transfer from ASU (or AU), had a legal issue in Arizona that was not known to the UM coaches when he transferred. The matter, involving some sort of assault (perhaps with a woman), had been resolved prior to his coming to UM, but he failed to fulfill the terms of the agreement, and 2 misdemeanor warrants were issued for him in Arizona. Those became known at UM only after he got into trouble in Missoula this summer. The legal issue was not disclosed to UM coaches by his prior coaches (I don't know if his prior college coaches were aware of the legal issue, but I assume they must have been). He may have been at a JC for a year too. Freeman appears to be bad news, and UM made a mistake by bringing him to Missoula. He has now been involved in 4 incidents in Missoula, only one of which occurred while he was still on the team, and one of which he was acquitted on. I suppose it's possible that UM didn't take enough time to investigate him, as they brought him in after another transfer quit in the middle of spring ball (and this guy had been brought in when another top corner was not recovering from an injury).

Shelton had had a discipline issue at ASU last spring, but it was for not attending enough classes and missing or being late for some meetings. From what I've read, it looks like he left ASU on his own.

There are rumors that some charges for some of these matters will be reduced or dropped for some of these guys. In any event, it has been an incredibly bad run of legal problems in the past 5 or so months for UM football. In Hauck's prior 4.5 years, there had been very few publicized problems, and only one of note to my knowledge. In that one, an all-american corner waived a gun inside a car window downtown, and was eventually kicked off the team. Hauck is a tough disciplinarian.

BigApp
November 17th, 2007, 11:27 AM
http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-12701.gif