PDA

View Full Version : Go Hens.Net

appstate38
November 11th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Delaware Fans,

On the Go Hens.net website, it is listed that you guys are the 6 time football champs. Were those first 5 at another division level?? What's the deal with that?

Hansel
November 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Delaware won 1 or 2 DII titles and 4 or 5 "college division" titles

00bluehen
November 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
2003 I-AA National Champions
1979 Division II National Champions
1946, 1963, 1971, 1972 United Press International Small College National Champions (Pre-Divisional era).

1+1+4 = 6 national championships.

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM
2003 I-AA National Champions
1979 Division II National Champions

So two.

Rob Iola
November 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Delaware Fans,

On the Go Hens.net website, it is listed that you guys are the 6 time football champs. Were those first 5 at another division level?? What's the deal with that?

An AppState fan surfing GoHens? What, a slow day in the sticks?xrotatehx

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2007, 09:33 AM
So two.

No.. SIX.. unless you also want to eliminate ALL the 'AP' and 'UPI' national titles that were won by the likes of Notre Dame, Alabama, Nebraska and many others.. prior to the implementation of the BCS chamionship... xrolleyesx

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM
No.. SIX.. unless you also want to eliminate ALL the 'AP' and 'UPI' national titles that were won by the likes of Notre Dame, Alabama, Nebraska and many others.. prior to the implementation of the BCS chamionship... xrolleyesx
Don't waste your breath. M&W is the same as LEHIGH61... serious Hen envy.

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Don't waste your breath. M&W is the same as LEHIGH61... serious Hen envy.

It's just really fun ruffling your feathers...and very easy xlolx

Still, United Press International Small College National Champions - get real, you have two.

GannonFan
November 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Still, United Press International Small College National Champions - get real, you have two.

It's six, and always at the same level we are now - the division just below the top division. The names change, but the reality is still the same. Wire service championships still count. If we'd follow your argument, you might as well wipe out all the NFL titles that happened in the 40 years before they came up with the name "Super Bowl". To date they haven't done that. xthumbsupx

SunCoastBlueHen
November 12th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Maybe someone who was around at the time can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those UP Small College Championships received more national notoriety than today's FCS championships.

R.A.
November 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I find this and interesting topic because HBCUs have listed our Black College National Champions as National Titles, but we often times get mocked for doing it. "They're not real"-- is what people have said.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I find this and interesting topic because HBCUs have listed our Black College National Champions as National Titles, but we often times get mocked for doing it. "They're not real"-- is what people have said.
xconfusedx Apples and oranges. All of Delaware's titles included ALL team at their level of play (except Ivy and SWAC who chose to not participate). BCNC's include only a small group of schools.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Like propping up umpteen Yankee titles most of which were won before any of the good teams arrived. xcoffeex

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Exactly.

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Like propping up umpteen Yankee titles most of which were won before any of the good teams arrived. xcoffeex

That makes no sense in response to what you quoted.

RadMann
November 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM
The HBCU titles are legitimate, they are just a very specific category of universities vying for the title. UD's titles were national titles just like any of the poll-driven titles from those days. We all know that poll driven national titles are not what is best, but that is what was around back in those days.

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
The HBCU titles are legitimate, they are just a very specific category of universities vying for the title. UD's titles were national titles just like any of the poll-driven titles from those days. We all know that poll driven national titles are not what is best, but that is what was around back in those days.

If people claim the BSC National Championship isn't real, which happens all the time on here, there is no reason the United Press International Small College National Champions should be considered real.

RadMann
November 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I hear there are better ways than the BCS to determine a champion, but not that it is not a championship. Either way, we're all entitled to our opinion.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM
That makes no sense in response to what you quoted.
Sure it does. If you say Delaware can't claim national championships by using ones prior to the advent of playoffs, UMass can't claim any Yankee Conference titles prior to the addition of Delaware, Richmond, Nova, etc... xcoffeex

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
If people claim the BSC National Championship isn't real, which happens all the time on here, there is no reason the United Press International Small College National Champions should be considered real.
Isn't as good as the way we do it, but my sports almanac still lists them as national champions. xcoffeex

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Sure it does. If you say Delaware can't claim national championships by using ones prior to the advent of playoffs, UMass can't claim any Yankee Conference titles prior to the addition of Delaware, Richmond, Nova, etc... xcoffeex

Huh?? I never even mentioned playoffs, where did you get that from? Ahhh, UD fans who can't read, how new. xcoffeex

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Huh?? I never even mentioned playoffs, where did you get that from? Ahhh, UD fans who can't read, how new. xcoffeex
xnutsx

"United Press International Small College National Champions - get real, you have two" - Maroon

The AP and UPI were how they declared national champions in the division in which Delaware played prior to the advent of playoffs. Get a clue. xcoffeex

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
xnutsx

"United Press International Small College National Champions - get real, you have two" - Maroon

The AP and UPI were how they declared national champions in the division in which Delaware played prior to the advent of playoffs. Get a clue. xcoffeex

xnutsx

That's nice...but I still didn't mention anything about playoffs, although you claimed I did. Get a clue. xcoffeex

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
xnutsx

Let it go 89 just let it go.xwhistlex

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Let it go 89 just let it go.xwhistlex

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

http://www.polishedscrawl.com/images/blog/mugatu.jpg

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM
UD SHOULD be claiming 8 NC - they won two in both 1971 and 1972. That seems really hard to do, wonder how it happened. xcoffeex

UncleSam
November 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
UD SHOULD be claiming 8 NC - they won two in both 1971 and 1972. That seems really hard to do, wonder how it happened. xcoffeex

You need to increase your medication. :p

Maroon&White
November 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM
You need to increase your medication. :p

I need to remember to before reading posts by UD fans. Wouldn't be so bad if a few of them could learn to read and stop claiming I said things I didn't. xcoffeex

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I need to remember to before reading posts by UD fans. Wouldn't be so bad if a few of them could learn to read and stop claiming I said things I didn't. xcoffeex

touche'

ChickenMan
November 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Like it or not.. the BCS Championshion is REAL and all the titles won in both DI and DII prior to the advent of the BCS and FCS/I-AA playoffs are very REAL as well. I think the NCAA record book will confirm those facts... ;)