PDA

View Full Version : If Ga. Southern can beat Colorado St., do they get in?

GSU Eagle
November 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Just interested in what others think-- would a 8-3 GSU get in if somehow we can travel half way across the country and beat Colorado St. next Saturday?

OL FU
November 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I suppose it still depends on what else happens around the country, but it would seem that and 8-3 record with an FBS win (even a bad one) from the SoCon this year might do it.

Some room cleared out this week with UNH and Hofstra losing (Hofstra has been on a tumble so I can't see them getting in with 8-3). Cal Poly losing helped you.

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Maybe, they would be on the backend of the bubble. Granted they did beat App and wofford....losing to Elon, Furman, and Chatty does hurt more than anything. So while I'd love to see three SoCon teams in, it's highly unlikely,

OL FU
November 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Maybe, they would be on the backend of the bubble. Granted they did beat App and wofford....losing to Elon, Furman, and Chatty does hurt more than anything. So while I'd love to see three SoCon teams in, it's highly unlikely,

This is what makes all of this so much fun. Two different posters. Two different answersxthumbsupx

joecooll6
November 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I think so. The bubble is starting to clear out a little bit.

BlueHen86
November 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM
My guess is yes. GSU is in at 8-3. They may take a bid away from the CAA. I think a third Socon team at 8-3 is more likely to make the tourney than a fourth CAA team at 8-3.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I would think so.

appfan2008
November 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Georgia Southern is in at 8-3 no question...

WVAPPmountaineer
November 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yes, at 8-3 GSU is in (or I should say, certainly deserves to be in) ---

KAUMASS
November 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Yes, they are in if they beat Colorado State. That would do the committee a favor and justify not sending another CAA team, as the CAA could potentially send 5 or 6 CAA teams if Georgia Southern loses.
Another strong Southern conference team would "balance" their at large selections.

Georgia Southern has the power ratings currently. Another win over a FBS program can't hurt, even if Colorado St. is something like 1-9.

Col Hogan
November 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Georgia Southern is in at 8-3 no question...

I wouldn't be that definative...but I think if GSU wins next week making them 8-3, they stand a much better chance of getting in that they did last week...

I think the CAA is down to 4 teams...the talk of 5 teams should end right now......

Good luck in Colorado next week GSU...xpeacex

GOTOREROS
November 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Just interested in what others think-- would a 8-3 GSU get in if somehow we can travel half way across the country and beat Colorado St. next Saturday?

Not a lock. Colorado State is HORRIBLE. While it would be nice to get a win over a FBS school it isn't a great win.....

McNeese_beat
November 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Without a doubt in my mind. There haven't been many FBS wins and to me that should carry a lot of weight, even if it's a 1-11 FBS team.

You also have quality wins over South Dakota State, Wofford and App. State. So I'm convinced. Win and you're in.

youwouldno
November 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think how good (or bad) Colorado St is matters. GSU at 8-3 is in, end of story. They have the quality wins. Sure they lost a few conference games, but the SoCon is the strongest FCS conference this year, top to bottom. Throw in GSU's tradition and, more importantly, fan base... the Eagles win and they're in.

McNeese_beat
November 11th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yes, they are in if they beat Colorado State. That would do the committee a favor and justify not sending another CAA team, as the CAA could potentially send 5 or 6 CAA teams if Georgia Southern loses.
Another strong Southern conference team would "balance" their at large selections.

Georgia Southern has the power ratings currently. Another win over a FBS program can't hurt, even if Colorado St. is something like 1-9.

What six CAA teams might get in? I only count five currently with 3 or fewer losses and a fourth loss by Hofstra seems imminent. I don't think a 7-4 CAA gets in as the fourth or fifth team from the conference and definitely not if they are the sixth team.

Four is realistic, five is unlikely, six is out of the question.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I don't think so. They had two big wins over Wofford and App, but that home loss against UTC will stand out. Their OCS was terrible with two bad FCS teams, a lousy I-A squad, and a terrible DII sqaud.

App and Wofford go. If one of those two drop their last game, then GSU can go if they beat CSU (which I don't think will happen)

FargoBison
November 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
If GSU beats CSU they are in, without question.

RE/MAXGriz
November 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I would LOVE to see GSU get in an travel to Missoula in the 1st round. Get some revenge for the 2000 NC!

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
2 of our 3 losses were in overtime. Our other one was a rivalry game and was lost by 2 points.

We beat CSU, we had better get in.

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I think if they beat Colorado State, even though the Rams have had a down year, Georgia Southern is in. The Southern is justifiably regarded as being maybe the toughest it's ever been top to bottom and they'll have beaten a FBS team.

Hansel
November 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Georgia Southern is in with a win

mark it down

TheValleyRaider
November 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Win and you're in

I've seen Colorado State this year, and I'll echo thoughts I posted on another thread: The Rams are a better team than their record indicates. TCU scored two of our TDs on a blocked punt, and an Interception setting up a short field. GSU will probably be able to move the ball reasonably well against the Rams D, but they might have some difficulty with CSU's offense, especially when they open it up and start throwing everywhere. Don't discount the fact that you're playing up in the Mountains as well. Late in the game that thin air can start to get to you.

GreatAppSt
November 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
My odds would give them a better than 75% chance at it.xthumbsupx if not then you can say you got Gussed.:D

GSUhooligan
November 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
If we win, I just don't see who would take our spot. UNH, Elon, Cal Poly and Hofstra losing helped alot. CAA takes 3 at larges, Gateway and Big Sky take 1 at large each, Socon has 2 at larges (including us). The committee may have a hard time finding a 16th team even if we win. EIU? AAMU? The committee will be grasping in that case.

asu70
November 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
GSU at 8-3 makes the playoff........mark it down.

AppMountaineer13
November 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM
If GSU wins, they're in. Period.

Kill'em
November 11th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I don't think we deserve to get in. It would be hard to see us getting in with three conference losses. I don't care that all three were lost on the last play. Besides, the odds of us beating Colorado St are remote so this might be a moot point.

T-Dog
November 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
2 of our 3 losses were in overtime. Our other one was a rivalry game and was lost by 2 points.

Your also 17 total points away from 3-7 xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM
We are definitly in if we win this week. As good as the Socon is, I don't see how they can not let us in being 4-3 in it and getting wins over an FBS and two top-10 teams on the road.

If Hofstra loses to UMass (and I think they will) then there will be at most 3 AL bids for the CAA. Southern Illinois and App. State will definitly be in before us. That leaves 3 more spots. I don't think an 8-3 Eastern Washington or an 8-3 Norfolk State will get in before us, and that leaves us to compete with a 7-4 Hofstra and a 7-4 UNH.

AZJack
November 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Paladin Fan has obviously fell off his horse too many times if he doesn't think GSU beating SDSU is a quality win. GSU is a lock if they beat CSU. Count on it.

UMass922
November 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, GSU would be in. I don't even think it matters so much whether or not Colorado State would count as a quality win, as some are debating. What matters most is that GSU has wins over two playoff-bound teams, Wofford and Appalachian State. Most of the other potential 8-3 teams that are competing for those last few spots (e.g. JMU, Hofstra, EWU, EIU, Colgate) do not have wins of that caliber. The most important thing about the Colorado State game is that winning it makes GSU playoff eligible. As of now, they have everything they need on their resume to get in except that seventh D-I win.

WMTribe90
November 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I would guess an 8-3 GSU is a near lock. The only thing keeping them from being a slam dunk is the DII win. An 8-3 GSU would only have 7 DI wins and three conference losses. EWU is a lock at 8-3 over GSU and Hofstra because of regionalization and the fact that committee will want a second BSC team (fair or not). Even with the DII win GSU probably has a slightly better resume than Hofstra, which would have 8 DI wins, but you never know for sure what the committee will decide. If I was laying odds I'd GSU is about a 90% probablity if they beat CSU.

terrierbob
November 11th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I don't think so. They had two big wins over Wofford and App, but that home loss against UTC will stand out. Their OCS was terrible with two bad FCS teams, a lousy I-A squad, and a terrible DII sqaud.

App and Wofford go. If one of those two drop their last game, then GSU can go if they beat CSU (which I don't think will happen)

We don't have another game. We're resting up.xsmiley_wix

Kill'em
November 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Your also 17 total points away from 3-7 xthumbsupx

That is the difference between being a good team ('07) and a bad team ('06). Good teams find ways to win close games and despite yesterday's loss, we are a good team.

The Cats
November 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM

I hope so, the more SoCon teams in the better. Even though it's hard to hope GSU wins ANY games.

AppMan
November 11th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Isn't there an requirement to have 7 wins vs Division One opponents to make the playoffs? With a win at Colorado State the Eagles would have 6 wins over D-I teams 1 over a D-II team and 1 over a FCS transitional team.

ButlerGSU
November 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
We don't have another game. We're resting up.xsmiley_wix

If we don't make it this season, I'm pulling for Wofford the whole way. Great fans while we were up two in the Burg weeks ago.

Hansel
November 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
This game on TV?

Kill'em
November 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM
This game on TV?

I don't think so.

Baldy
November 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Isn't there an requirement to have 7 wins vs Division One opponents to make the playoffs? With a win at Colorado State the Eagles would have 6 wins over D-I teams 1 over a D-II team and 1 over a FCS transitional team.
There is no gray area for transitional teams like South Dakota State. They count as a DI win.

mvemjsunpx
November 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
To me, it seems pretty simple:

GSU is in for certain with a win over Colorado State.
GSU is out for certain with a loss to Colorado State.

walliver
November 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
There is no gray area for transitional teams like South Dakota State. They count as a DI win.

Transitional teams like SDSU count.

"Exploratory" year teams like Presbyterian don't.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 10:15 PM

Yes, as the 3rd So-Con team.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 10:22 PM
My guess is yes. GSU is in at 8-3. They may take a bid away from the CAA. I think a third Socon team at 8-3 is more likely to make the tourney than a fourth CAA team at 8-3.

GSU with a win over Colorodo St won't get a bid over JMU. They've got a Div 2 on the schedule and would still have the 3 conference losses. GSU would get the bid over a Colgate, Albany, Norfolk State, Alabama A&M, probably the last 4 bubble teams (all of whom have 6-4 opponents this Saturday). GSU at 8-3 would also get the nod over Hofstra at 8-3 in the unlikely event Hofstra upsets UMass.

Bottom line, GSU wins and they're in.

The CAA is getting 4 in unless JMU loses. If UD lost to Nova I'd still say they'd be 75% chance to get in.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Not a lock. Colorado State is HORRIBLE. While it would be nice to get a win over a FBS school it isn't a great win.....

Colorodo State's schedule:
September 1 at Colorado L 31-28 0-1 (0-0)
September 8 No. 10 California L 34-28 0-2 (0-0)
September 22 at Houston L 38-27 0-3 (0-0) CSTV
September 29 at TCU L 24-12 0-4 (0-1)
October 6 San Diego State L 24-20 0-5 (0-2)
October 13 Air Force L 45-21 0-6 (0-3)
October 20 at UNLV W 48-23 1-6 (1-3)
October 27 Utah L 27-3 1-7 (1-4)
November 3 at Brigham Young L 35-16 1-8 (1-5)
November 10 at New Mexico L 26-23 1-9 (1-6)
November 17 Georgia Southern 2:00 PM ET Tickets
November 23 Wyoming 2:00 PM ET Tickets

AppMan
November 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM

OK, Thanks.

UMass922
November 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
GSU with a win over Colorodo St won't get a bid over JMU. They've got a Div 2 on the schedule and would still have the 3 conference losses.

I disagree with this. GSU has wins over two playoff-bound teams (Wofford and Appalachian State) and would be adding to that a win over an FBS team. JMU's best win is over UNH, a team that almost certainly will not be going to the playoffs. I think that disparity ought to more than make up for the presence of a D-II team on GSU's schedule.

Also, I don't see why it matters that GSU's three losses came in-conference. For the purpose of selecting the best at-large teams available on a national basis regardless of conference (which is the committee's stated criteria), what difference does it make whether the losses come in or out of conference?

In any case, I think GSU and JMU will both be in if they win on Saturday. I can't conceive of any scenario in which one of those two would be the last team in.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Win and you're in

I've seen Colorado State this year, and I'll echo thoughts I posted on another thread: The Rams are a better team than their record indicates. TCU scored two of our TDs on a blocked punt, and an Interception setting up a short field. GSU will probably be able to move the ball reasonably well against the Rams D, but they might have some difficulty with CSU's offense, especially when they open it up and start throwing everywhere. Don't discount the fact that you're playing up in the Mountains as well. Late in the game that thin air can start to get to you.

I agree 100%, I think a win over CSU will be a good win. CSU has a couple 230lbs running backs and an altitude of just under a mile. CSU has moved the ball pretty well this year from what I saw, they will be a handfull and won't have anything to loose. Most of their early losses were close games, maybe they rolled over later in the year, I don't know, wouldn't mind watching this one if I had the Mountain. (danm comcast!)

Griz0383
November 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
What tough game this late in the season! GSU can win this for sure but will need to play solid on all phases. I still see them getting in with that record. Go EAGLES