PDA

View Full Version : Say what you want about Griz fans.

Ronbo
November 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Griz add life to Holt
Commentary by Tim Flagstad

Say what you want about Montana - and surely Idaho State fans did Saturday - but the Big Sky wouldn't be the same conference without the Grizzlies. Not even close.
For the first time all season, a game in Holt Arena felt like big-time college football, and fans can thank the maroon-clad bunch from the north for that electricity.

An hour before gametime, a buzz of excitement hovered in the air outside the stadium, a feeling common in the NFL or major college football games but one completely alien to the Gate City before the Bengals' first five home contests.
-- Advertisement --
Finding a parking spot close to the gate proved a difficult task when usually someone can show up a half hour before kickoff and have the pick of the lot.

Fans lingered outside in masses, sipping beverages while eagerly awaiting the game, and satellite trucks and TV cables lined the building's perimeter.
Inside the stadium, a good chunk of seats actually had seats in them, as Griz fans filled three and a half sections of Holt Arena.

The announced attendance of 8,645 by far surpassed any crowd in the previous Idaho State home games.
That's what Montana brings to the conference. Everywhere the Griz go, a big-time atmosphere and experience follows, no matter the location. Saturday's 27-14 Montana victory provided further evidence to that fact.

Read the entire article.
http://www.idahostatejournal.com/articles/2007/11/11/sports/sports02.txt

KAUMASS
November 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Griz add life to Holt

Say what you want about Montana - and surely Idaho State fans did Saturday - but the Big Sky wouldn't be the same conference without the Grizzlies. Not even close.
For the first time all season, a game in Holt Arena felt like big-time college football, and fans can thank the maroon-clad bunch from the north for that electricity.

An hour before gametime, a buzz of excitement hovered in the air outside the stadium, a feeling common in the NFL or major college football games but one completely alien to the Gate City before the Bengals' first five home contests.
-- Advertisement --
Finding a parking spot close to the gate proved a difficult task when usually someone can show up a half hour before kickoff and have the pick of the lot.

Fans lingered outside in masses, sipping beverages while eagerly awaiting the game, and satellite trucks and TV cables lined the building's perimeter.
Inside the stadium, a good chunk of seats actually had seats in them, as Griz fans filled three and a half sections of Holt Arena.

The announced attendance of 8,645 by far surpassed any crowd in the previous Idaho State home games.
That's what Montana brings to the conference. Everywhere the Griz go, a big-time atmosphere and experience follows, no matter the location. Saturday's 27-14 Montana victory provided further evidence to that fact.

Read the entire article.
http://www.idahostatejournal.com/articles/2007/11/11/sports/sports02.txt

You guys are loud and proud, no doubt about it. You have a pretty good football team as well. Good luck in the playoffs.

kalm
November 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Eastern games used to be quiet with not much atmosphere and zero tailgating. But then we started becoming competitive with Montana on a regular basis and began to experience the bump in exposure and fans for the Governors cup. It seems that ever since the 2002 game in front of a record 17,000 (half griz) when we ended the griz win streak that things have been better. Our attendance numbers won't impress the traditional powers but they're up, and the tailgating begins early with the parking lot mostly full a couple hours before game time. We're still the most subdued crowd in the FCS, but things are better. Hopefully they will for ISU too.

I agree with article in that the Griz import atmosphere and some of it can rub off.

DaGriz
November 11th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Eastern games used to be quiet with not much atmosphere and zero tailgating. But then we started becoming competitive with Montana on a regular basis and began to experience the bump in exposure and fans for the Governors cup. It seems that ever since the 2002 game in front of a record 17,000 (half griz) when we ended the griz win streak that things have been better. Our attendance numbers won't impress the traditional powers but they're up, and the tailgating begins early with the parking lot mostly full a couple hours before game time. We're still the most subdued crowd in the FCS, but things are better. Hopefully they will for ISU too.

I agree with article in that the Griz import atmosphere and some of it can rub off.

Good game yesterday Eags, I watched your matchup with NAU. Your defense looked real good. Your WR's are so fast on turf. I hope you get UNI in the first round. I think that would be a great match up that could really go either way.

Purple For Life
November 11th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Good game yesterday Eags, I watched your matchup with NAU. Your defense looked real good. Your WR's are so fast on turf. I hope you get UNI in the first round. I think that would be a great match up that could really go either way.

If we get Montana in the first round, we'll tear the roof offa the UNI-Dome and the Griz will be limping home DEAF!! xthumbsupx

kalm
November 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
If we get Montana in the first round, we'll tear the roof offa the UNI-Dome and the Griz will be limping home DEAF!! xthumbsupx

That would be a terrible decision for the committee to have the #1 and #2 seeds meet in the first round. xthumbsupx

RE/MAXGriz
November 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Not going to happen, there's no way even if the Griz lose that they'll deny them at least one home game as a 10-1 team.

I'm thinking more and more that EWU will be @ UNI and I really do see EWU ripe to pick off yet another #1 team (EWU vs SIU in 2004).

Mountain Panther
November 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm thinking more and more that EWU will be @ UNI and I really do see EWU ripe to pick off yet another #1 team (EWU vs SIU in 2004).

Not unless they have a better team then they did in 2005.

I bet Griz fans would still outnumber Panther fans in Chatty should it get to that point, even though Cedar Falls is geographically a lot closer.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM

You are obviously not much of a thinker so I will summarily dismiss this comment and the stupidity contained in it for another case of Griz envy. We don't mind going to Cedar Falls and taking a victory from ya. Hell we don't mind taking victories from ya here in Missoula either. It really doesn't matter where we play ya at we still win.

Mountain Panther
November 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
It really doesn't matter where we play ya at we still win.

OK.....we'll just lie down and let you walk over us on your way to the next round. Your SOS obviously proves you would beat us by 30 points anyway, so why bother playing the game? xcoffeex

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
This Panther/Griz is old. Unless someone falters, we won't see each other until the semis or Chatty.

EWU has work left to do and has bigger fish to fry than worrying about playing us in the first round. I'd rather not see EWU again because I like playing different teams, but we'll take whoever is given to us. We feel we have a championship caliber team and have to beat 3 playoff caliber teams to get to Chatty.

Carry on.

Mountain Panther
November 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
This Panther/Griz is old.

xthumbsupx

So old you should add it to the list in your auto-sig.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 11th, 2007, 02:55 PM
OK.....we'll just lie down and let you walk over us on your way to the next round. Your SOS obviously proves you would beat us by 30 points anyway, so why bother playing the game? xcoffeex

MP it wasn't about you it was directed back at Purple. You see there are a couple of idiots that just happen to be Panther fans.....Ronin comes to mind, that have to turn any thread into some sort of disrespect for the Griz. If they want to do that with a terrible record against the Griz that's fine with me but don't take offense yourself as it was a reply to one of your more challenged posters. All this thread was about was an article by a competitors newspaper and look what it gets turned into. I didn't see any Griz fans trying to turn it into smack.

Mountain Panther
November 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM
MP it wasn't about you it was directed back at Purple. You see there are a couple of idiots that just happen to be Panther fans.....Ronin comes to mind, that have to turn any thread into some sort of disrespect for the Griz. If they want to do that with a terrible record against the Griz that's fine with me but don't take offense yourself as it was a reply to one of your more challenged posters. All this thread was about was an article by a competitors newspaper and look what it gets turned into. I didn't see any Griz fans trying to turn it into smack.

"You are obviously not much of a thinker so I will summarily dismiss this comment and the stupidity contained in it for another case of Griz envy"

I just thought that was a little harsh...that's all.

Chi-towngrizzly
November 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM

More like 38 xsmiley_wix

ezgriz51
November 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Didn't this thread start regarding something about something other than what it has regressed to?

Mountain Panther
November 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Didn't this thread start regarding something about something other than what it has regressed to?

Yes it did. I would like to play Montana in Chatty so I can experience first hand how well Griz Nation travels. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
"You are obviously not much of a thinker so I will summarily dismiss this comment and the stupidity contained in it for another case of Griz envy"

I just thought that was a little harsh...that's all.

Maybe so and I don't usually respond to it but I am have to blow off a little steam once in a while after reading the countless smack attempts on fairly simple non smack related threads. It really does get kinda tiring.

putter
November 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
boy and it's a good thing we didn't let in the Dakota's. Having 2 more teams that actually care about football would have been a shame. Props again to the Griz nation for the support they are given to the team xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
November 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM
So yes, the Griz and their success can take a lot of fun out of the Big Sky season with their perpetual grasp on the conference trophy.
But once every two years, each Big Sky city turns into a major college football town when Montana and its fans roll through, and every season the eight other teams in the conference can look forward to one big game against a national power.

This sounds familiar. Backs up what griz fans say every day. When we roll into town, we are their superbowl. Thankyou Idaho Journal!

TheBisonator
November 11th, 2007, 05:39 PM
boy and it's a good thing we didn't let in the Dakota's. Having 2 more teams that actually care about football would have been a shame. Props again to the Griz nation for the support they are given to the team xthumbsupx

Um... I'd be careful about that "2" remark.

(Attendance at SDSU Saturday: 3,317)

APPride
November 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Yes it did. I would like to play Montana in Chatty so I can experience first hand how well Griz Nation travels. xthumbsupx

Serious cred to the Griz fan in the white Lexus w/ Montana Griz plates that came to THE ROCK yesterday...now thats scouting...xthumbsupx xbowx

GrizFamily
November 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM

I was at the game at Joe Albi in 02. Great atmosphere. Didn't care much for the "Over-rated" chants at the end of the game, but a certain amount of that is to be expected. We certainly did not live up to our ranking that day and the Eags played well. I also attended the game in Cheney last year and enjoyed the tailgating and game atmosphere very much. Don't sell yourselves short. I think the EWU program has come a long way. Many programs lag behind what you have achieved.

Griz0383
November 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM
The Griz paid 1 million to the NCAA after the 2006 playoffs! IMO the NCAA will leave the Griz home for 3 games so they can get paid once again!

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
The Griz paid 1 million to the NCAA after the 2006 playoffs! IMO the NCAA will leave the Griz home for 3 games so they can get paid once again!
If that's the case then it should be App & UM for the top 2 seeds. xlolx

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Griz add life to Holt

No wonder it was full of electricity with three griz players celebrating their last day of freedom with a going IN party. Let the good times roll baby, yeah!!!!xlolx

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2007, 04:16 PM
[quote]Griz add life to Holt

QUOTE]

No wonder it was full of electricity with three griz players celebrating their last day of freedom with a going IN party. Let the good times roll baby, yeah!!!!xlolx

Griz bashing thread: ------------------> xnonono2x

GreatAppSt
November 12th, 2007, 04:22 PM
[quote=GreatAppSt;736949]

Griz bashing thread: ------------------> xnonono2x

:p :p ;)

Grizaholic17
November 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=AZGrizFan;736957]

:p :p ;)

Bash the griz all you want. We know we're better than ouxsmiley_wix xlolx

mvemjsunpx
November 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Not unless they have a better team then they did in 2005.

Wait, didn't Northern Iowa barely beat EWU in 2005 (I think it was 41-38)? EWU's 2004 team was better than the next year, but that 2005 team was playing well at the end of the season.

Ronin
November 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Not going to happen, there's no way even if the Griz lose that they'll deny them at least one home game as a 10-1 team.

Even though I don't think you should have a top 4 spot. I agree with Montana getting the first round at home with their record and fan base I would be very surprised if they were not at home for the first round.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Even though I don't think you should have a top 4 spot. I agree with Montana getting the first round at home with their record and fan base I would be very surprised if they were not at home for the first round.

Nice to see you saying something positive about Montana xthumbsupx even if it is wrapped in a negative xlolx xsmiley_wix