PDA

View Full Version : CAA Auto Bid

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Can someone tell me if im right or wrong. I feel that UMass wins the auto bid with a win vs Hofstra because of points due to Richmonds game vs Stony Brook... Am I correct?

URMite
November 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Can someone tell me if im right or wrong. I feel that UMass wins the auto bid with a win vs Hofstra because of points due to Richmonds game vs Stony Brook... Am I correct?

I thought Stony Brook wasn't in the NEC this year but was an independent. Don't FCS Independents count 1 instead of .5?

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I thought Stony Brook wasn't in the NEC this year but was an independent. Don't FCS Independents count 1 instead of .5?

They are independent.. do they get 1 for independents? Im not sure Im just going by what the UMass writer said but yet I cant find the tiebreaker anywhere.

EmeryZach
November 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM
We need to worry about winning first.

jmuprius
November 11th, 2007, 01:13 AM
The auto bid tiebreakers are posted in the CAA Football Media Guide:
link to media guide (http://http://www.caasports.com/AdMonitor.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&MONITOR_AD_ID=33280)

The tiebreakers are on page 7 of the "Introduction" chapter - it opens a PDF file.

UMass and UR didn't play head-to-head, so the next tie-breaker is record against common CAA opponents: Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William & Mary, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire.

UMass is 5-1 against common opponents, with a loss to Rhode Island. UR is 4-1 against common opponents, with a loss to Towson and a game left with W&M. If Richmond loses to W&M, UMass would win the auto bid even with a loss to Hofstra because they would win the common opponents tiebreaker, 5-1 to 4-2.

The fourth tiebreaker won't break the tie: it which awards one point for out-of-conference wins against teams in a major FCS conference or scholarship FCS teams, and two points for OOC wins against FBS teams.

UMass beat two Patriot League teams - that's worth two points. UR beat a Patriot League team and scholarship indy Stony Brook - that's also two points.

That leaves the final tiebreaker: "If the above tie-breakers fail, a conference call with the Directors of Athletics from the institiutions not involved in the tie will be convened by the Commissioner. The Directors of
Athletics, with input from the Head Coaches, would then declare the Conference’s automatic qualifier."

DTSpider
November 11th, 2007, 07:05 AM
So, in other words, this could be real messy. I'd have to figure it it came to the ADs that they would use some sort of GPI rankings.

Kymermosst
November 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Of coruse, if UMass loses to Hofstra and Richmond, Delaware and JMU all win, that puts 4 teams back at 5-2 in the conference.

Of course, UMass hasn't played any of those teams this year. Richmond wins head-to-head against Delaware and JMU. Delaware wins head-to-head against JMU.

Delaware wins the tiebreaker over UMass via the points system (2.5-2), since this assumes UMass lost and JMU won, JMU wins over UMass with 6-0 vs. common opponents. Richmond/UMass however comes down to the AD conference call.

Since UMass loses to JMU and Delaware in this case, I think Richmond gets the nod.

If UMass wins, it's only UMass and Richmond. Then it's all on the conference call. GPI/Sagarin wise I think UMass would hold an edge, but looking at the CAA schedule, I think UMass takes a hit for missing out on all the the CAA South powers and Richmond gets the nod here as well.

C'mon Tribe!!

DB_Atlantic10
November 11th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Of coruse, if UMass loses to Hofstra and Richmond, Delaware and JMU all win, that puts 4 teams back at 5-2 in the conference.

Of course, UMass hasn't played any of those teams this year. Richmond wins head-to-head against Delaware and JMU. Delaware wins head-to-head against JMU.

Delaware wins the tiebreaker over UMass via the points system (2.5-2), since this assumes UMass lost and JMU won, JMU wins over UMass with 6-0 vs. common opponents. Richmond/UMass however comes down to the AD conference call.

Since UMass loses to JMU and Delaware in this case, I think Richmond gets the nod.

If UMass wins, it's only UMass and Richmond. Then it's all on the conference call. GPI/Sagarin wise I think UMass would hold an edge, but looking at the CAA schedule, I think UMass takes a hit for missing out on all the the CAA South powers and Richmond gets the nod here as well.

C'mon Tribe!!

Well with UR winning over UDel and JMU on the road... I don't think the ADs will have a problem deciding who gets the auto....

RE/MAXGriz
November 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM
link to media guide (http://http://www.caasports.com/AdMonitor.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&MONITOR_AD_ID=33280)

The tiebreakers are on page 7 of the "Introduction" chapter - it opens a PDF file.

UMass and UR didn't play head-to-head, so the next tie-breaker is record against common CAA opponents: Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William & Mary, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire.

UMass is 5-1 against common opponents, with a loss to Rhode Island. UR is 4-1 against common opponents, with a loss to Towson and a game left with W&M. If Richmond loses to W&M, UMass would win the auto bid even with a loss to Hofstra because they would win the common opponents tiebreaker, 5-1 to 4-2.

The fourth tiebreaker won't break the tie: it which awards one point for out-of-conference wins against teams in a major FCS conference or scholarship FCS teams, and two points for OOC wins against FBS teams.

UMass beat two Patriot League teams - that's worth two points. UR beat a Patriot League team and scholarship indy Stony Brook - that's also two points.

That leaves the final tiebreaker: "If the above tie-breakers fail, a conference call with the Directors of Athletics from the institiutions not involved in the tie will be convened by the Commissioner. The Directors of
Athletics, with input from the Head Coaches, would then declare the Conference’s automatic qualifier."

Right there is a good reason why I'm damn glad I cheer for a team that plays in a conference where every team plays each other and there is a clear champion every year.

Kymermosst
November 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Well with UR winning over UDel and JMU on the road... I don't think the ADs will have a problem deciding who gets the auto....

Like I said: Go Tribe!

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM

C'mon Tribe!!

I don't want to burst your bubble....you will get no help from the Tribe.

Kymermosst
November 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Wow...I'd like to take back almost everything I've said in this thread.

Richmond already had the Sagarin and GPI advantage and that won't change after this week.

Richmond would have to lose to end 5-2 in the conference.

And I should have just stayed in bed this morning.

So, a UR win and UMass loss, UR stands alone atop the CAA. Flip them and UMass gets it the same way. If both win, 2 CAA co-champs and UR gets the autobid. If both lose while UD and JMU win, 4 CAA co-champs, UR still with the autobid.

I'm going to go take a nap..but I'm still pulling for W&M this weekend.

BlueHen86
November 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Wow...I'd like to take back almost everything I've said in this thread.

Richmond already had the Sagarin and GPI advantage and that won't change after this week.

Richmond would have to lose to end 5-2 in the conference.

And I should have just stayed in bed this morning.

So, a UR win and UMass loss, UR stands alone atop the CAA. Flip them and UMass gets it the same way. If both win, 2 CAA co-champs and UR gets the autobid. If both lose while UD and JMU win, 4 CAA co-champs, UR still with the autobid.

I'm going to go take a nap..but I'm still pulling for W&M this weekend.
If UMass and Richmond both win they are both in the playoffs and the AQ means nothing.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
If UMass and UR win they will both be in the playoffs both will essentially get an Autobid - so maybe it won't really matter that much anyway.

KAUMASS
November 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM
If UMass and Richmond both win they are both in the playoffs and the AQ means nothing.

Umass and Richmond are both in regardless. Check out my at large scenario thread. 1st round home playoff games are at stake though. CAA could have 3-5 teams in this year!!

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
If both win, both will get 1st rd home games.

BlueHen86
November 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Umass and Richmond are both in regardless. Check out my at large scenario thread. 1st round home playoff games are at stake though. CAA could have 3-5 teams in this year!!

In that case the AQ means nothing. The committee can send the AQ on the road and give an at large team a home game.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
In that case the AQ means nothing. The committee can send the AQ on the road and give an at large team a home game.

Correctamundo.

ccd494
November 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Right there is a good reason why I'm damn glad I cheer for a team that plays in a conference where every team plays each other and there is a clear champion every year.

Montana is in a conference?

URMite
November 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM

As opposed to being in 2 conferences with 2 champions but only 1 AQ?xsmiley_wix

EmeryZach
November 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM
UMass shouldn't have lost in the huricane to URI. This would all mean nothing. I just want a second round home game. Maybe?

FCS Preview
November 11th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Listed below are the four possible scenarios for Delaware, James Madison, Massachusetts and Richmond this weekend:

(1) If both Massachusetts and Richmond win: The two teams are recognized as CAA Football co-champions and CAA Football’s fourth outside-of-division tiebreaker -- a conference call amongst the conference’s Athletic Directors (excluding the AD’s at UR and UMass) – will determine which team receives the conference’s automatic bid.

-- Outside-of-Division tiebreaker:
a. Head-to-Head matchup: Not Applicable

b. Record versus common CAA Football opponents: Massachusetts is 5-1 with wins over Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William and Mary, New Hampshire and a loss to Rhode Island. Richmond is 5-1 with wins over Northeastern, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Villanova, William and Mary and a loss to Towson.

c. Point system for non-conference games: Massachusetts earns one (1) point each for wins over Holy Cross (Patriot), Colgate (Patriot) and no points for a loss to Boston College (FBS) -- a total of two points. Richmond earns one (1) point each for wins over Bucknell (Patriot), Stony Brook (Scholarship Independent) and no points for a loss to Vanderbilt (FBS) -- a total of two points.

d. If the above tie-breakers fail, a conference call with the Directors of Athletics from the institutions not involved in the tie will be convened by the CAA Football Commissioner. The Directors of Athletics, with input from the Head Coaches, would then declare the Conference’s automatic qualifier.

(2) If Massachusetts wins and Richmond loses: Massachusetts is awarded the outright CAA Football title and earns the conference’s automatic bid by virtue of its 7-1 league record.

(3) If Richmond wins and Massachusetts loses: Richmond is awarded the outright CAA Football title and earns the conference’s automatic bid by virtue of its 7-1 league record.

(4) If both Massachusetts and Richmond lose: The two teams are recognized as CAA Football co-champions, but Massachusetts receives the automatic bid based on the conference’s second outside-of-division tiebreaker -- record against common CAA Football opponents.

-- Outside-of-Division tiebreaker:
a. Head-to-Head matchup: Not Applicable

b. Record versus common CAA Football opponents: Massachusetts is 5-1 with wins over Towson, Villanova, Northeastern, William and Mary, New Hampshire and a loss to Rhode Island. Richmond is 4-2 with wins over Northeastern, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Villanova and losses to Towson and William and Mary.

NOTE: If the fourth scenario occurs, coupled with wins by both James Madison and Delaware, then all four teams will be named CAA Football co-champions by virtue of identical 6-2 league records.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM

What you listed as the 4th tiebreaker is the 3rd tiebreaker.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately for Richmond they have a win against Stony Brook which is not a fully scholarshipped independent so it doesn't count as a point for Richmond. UMass would win the tiebreaker. or maybe not... :D

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Ditto- its irrelevant. There is no reason to even declare an AQ. They would both be co-champs.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM

For the millionth time that has been pointed out on this board, if neither team are seeds, one being the AQ and another being at At-Large has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO GETS A HOME GAME. Whether or not UMAss or UR get declared the AQ it will have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHICH ONE OF THEM GETS A HOME GAME, if any. Read the criteria for awarding home games. The AQ in the CAA case means absolutely zilch.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
The rules for who gets a home game are irrelevent.

We are talking about who would win the CAA tie breaker and that would be Massachusetts presuming that Massachusetts and Richmond win next week.

Thats why the title of this thread is "CAA Auto Bid" the title of this thread is not "FCS Playoff Site Selection Rules"

We have seen in the past that teams that deserved home games got screwed out of them by the committee. The committee has been doing a better job lately. Hopefully they keep it up.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Ditto- its irrelevant. There is no reason to even declare an AQ. They would both be co-champs.

Where in the CAA rules are you getting that statement from?

URMite
November 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately for Richmond they have a win against Stony Brook which is not a fully scholarshipped independent so it doesn't count as a point for Richmond. UMass would win the tiebreaker. :D

Everyone is using last year's tie breakers not this year's which don't appear to have been published. The way the rules are written last year, only the NEC/PFL/MAAC are 1/2 a point. Independents are listed as 1 point with no mention of whether they offer 63 scholarships. As to what the CAA admin would decide, is anybody's guess. xoopsx

Kymermosst
November 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
2007 CAA Media Guide (http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1147894&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=8500&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=)

Check the "Introduction" section, Page 7.

This has already been posted, but these are the 2007 criteria that have been published for quite some time.

URMite
November 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
2007 CAA Media Guide (http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1147894&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=8500&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=)

Check the "Introduction" section, Page 7.

This has already been posted, but these are the 2007 criteria that have been published for quite some time.

Thanks, there have been multiple posting of the "A-10" tiebreakers. No one has posted the "CAA" tiebreakers before. Interesting that PFL/MAAC changed from 1/2 point to 0 points but NEC went from 1/2 point to 1 point. It looks like you could be right depending on their definition of "current scholarship independent". Stony Brook is in transition from NEC to Big South so I don't know their scholarship total for this year.

Edit - Ok, it is just me. the first few posting were old rules so I stopped following links to the new guide.

I feel like I remember an issue before where last season the conference left someone completely of the list and so they were worth 0 points when they were suppose to be something else and in the last week it could have changed who was champion.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
URMite: Stony Brook is carrying 42 Scholarships this season. Its not clear that a win over SB gets UR a point that depends on what the words "current scholarship independent" mean.

But who cares, when you come right down to it UR and UMASS have both had good seasons and both also need to win next weekend and if they do then the rules will be interpretted and applied and then both UR and UMASS will head into the playoffs. Good Luck next week Spiders, you guys must be enjoying that 5 OT win. We had a 4OT win this year and I couldn't have taken much more than that.

URMite
November 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM
URMite: Stony Brook is carrying 42 Scholarships this season. Its not clear that a win over SB gets UR a point.

But who cares, when you come right down to it UR and UMASS have both had good seasons and both also need to win next weekend and if they do then the rules will be interpretted and applied and then both UR and UMASS will head into the playoffs. Good Luck next week Spiders, you guys must be enjoying that 5 OT win. We had a 4OT win this year and I couldn't have taken much more than that.

I agree the AQ doesn't mean much in the CAA and all Co-champions get to print memorabilia. It just would be nice to be recognized as CAA Champs, when we left the CAA and now they have pulled us back in. Good luck to you guys too! And here's to an all-CAA semi!