PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League - Week 12

carney2
November 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM
LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH

COLGATE @ HOLY CROSS

BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM

GEORGETOWN has completed its 2007 season.

LeopardFan04
November 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Lafayette
Colgate
Fordham

Thanks for putting this together this year, Carney!

colgate13
November 10th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Let's go Bucknell!!!!

And Colgate too, of course. ;)

LehighFan11
November 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Fordham
Holy Cross
Lehigh (I have to pick it altho im not sure i believe in it)

ngineer
November 10th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Colgate can still smell a 'co' and HC will have a tough time, mentally, after this week. Raiders 24-17.

Bucknell does not have the horses to knock off the Rams. They'd have to keep the ball away from Skelton and company all day. Fordham, 35-10.

This is one game where I always go with my heart. To otherwise would be to desecrate the Mother School. Lafayette should be favored on paper after this week's impressive win at Holy Cross. But, like Lehigh, their season has been a disappointment and this will be for pure pride. Lehigh's seniors have not beaten a 'pard team so there should be extra motivation. In addition, a Lehigh win will give Lehigh it's 10th winning season in a row for the FIRST TIME in school history (1998-2007). I also expect both coaches to pull out some 'gadgets' and 'flickers' as this should be a wide open affair. No playoff game on the line to make anyone 'tight'. Let's hope for a good weather day so we can enjoy all the festivities that surround this unique and great event..We have 205 'signed up' for our tailgate at present. Entre will be deep fried turkey with all the trimmings.
Let's Bring it On! And may it be a good , hard-hitting game for 60 minutes, with the sun shining down on South Mountain (which will have colorful leaves for the first time ever for The Game--trees are usually bare by now). Lehigh, 34-31 in OT.;)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Entre will be deep fried turkey with all the trimmings.
Let's Bring it On!

Bring ME on to that tailgate! Yum!!! xsmiley_wix

ng, I will find a way to your tailgate Saturday! xthumbsupx

colgate13
November 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Forget smelly a 'co' (championship). That would be awesome. But there is still something very important to play for.

Colgate is playing for a average to good shot at an at-large playoff bid. Check out some of the other playoff threads. A win against Holy Cross puts us in 8 Division I win territory and I think we have a better than 50/50 chance could find ourselves on the inside.

carney2
November 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM
The absolute greatest sports week of the year. I am mulling over Friday's menu for the out-of-towners, and, of course, need to give serious thought to the tailgate. Need to find room for all of that beer and assign the post game celebratory libation - something that goes well with pummeled ChickenSquawk - to someone. Bring it on!

LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH - THE Game, despite LFN's feeble efforts to name it something akin to a family pick up basketball game. Here's a primer for those of you who need help making your selection:

1. This game means a great deal to all concerned. As a result, both teams generally bring their "A" game.

2. The favorite is usually accorded that status for a reason. Case in point: his "A" game is probably better than the other guy's.

3. I have been involved with this shootout for decades and have learned that all of that chatter about throwing "the records out the window" and "ya can't pick this one" is crapola. Generally, the favorite's "A" game prevails. Generally, the favorite covers.

Lafayette

COLGATE @ HOLY CROSS - Three teams in the Patriot League are playing well at the moment. Colgate is one of the three. Holy Cross isn't. Colgate

BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM - Bovines mercifully are led to their final slaughter. Fordham

Pards Rule
November 11th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Damn, I need to find my way to Ngineers tailgate!! But I really feel this is a tossup game. I was so pleased to read of LC's upset win at Holy Cross figuring this would give the Pards some solid momentum going into this 143rd contest. But it IS at Bethlehem where the Pards have won only TWICE since that venue opened in 1989 (in 1989 - remember the snow squalls in the second half - and the Hurt in 2005)...So it is a tough venue. I feel it will be a tossup game but the Pards eeking out their third win at Goodman late in the game.

breezy
November 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Carney -- Thanks for all your work in running these weekly prediction threads all season. It's been fun.

LAFAYETTE @ LEHIGH. I've seen Lehigh at its worst and Lafayette at its best. This would tell me that Lafayette should roll. I think Lafayette will win, but I expect it to be close. LAFAYETTE.

COLGATE @ HOLY CROSS. Naturally, I'll be rooting for Holy Cross, but I wonder if the Crusaders peaked too early while Colgate is peaking now. COLGATE.

BUCKNELL @ FORDHAM. Bison do not have enough firepower to match the Rams. Fordham has the team speed to nullify the Bison running attack. FORDHAM.

"GEORGETOWN has completed its 2007 season." None too soon for the Hoyas, I'm afraid.

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Lafayette at Lehigh. I agree with the post that "throwing out the records" is a phrase if you're an underdog, and Lehigh is the underdog. Without some stability for Lehigh at QB, I think Lafayette wins by at least 10.

Colgate at Holy Cross. Biddle always has the Red Raiders peaking at the right time and I favor them in this one.

Bucknell at Fordham. Forham should be able to work on Bucknell's pass defense and the Bison have not demonstrated a consistent offense to date.

"Georgetown has completed its 2007 season." None too soon for the Hoyas, I'm afraid.

With the loss, Georgetown is now one of only eight I-AA/FCS schools without a single winning record this decade--eight straight losing seasons (27-61). Prior to this decade GU had only four consecutive losing seasons in its history, and one that extended three years straight.

FWIW, In the 1990's, they were 63-37, and 39-13 from 1995-99.

Leo-Pard
November 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Lafayette wins in a nail biter... I think it will come down to a defensive stand at the end of the game.
Colgate wins after seeing HC being less than exciting last week.
Fordham should have little trouble with Bucknell.

DC 'gater
November 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Sorry I missed last week, work trip.

Colgate win inside the aluminum. Does HC still play "Electric Avenue" for warm ups like they did in the Duffner years?

Lafayette in that other game.

Bucknell. Need the Bison to step up.

Fordham
November 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Lafayette
Holy Cross
Fordham

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Lafayette
Holy Cross
Fordham

What he said.xnodx

LehighFan11
November 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
This is good Lehigh is the underdog in this rivalry for once.

Ken_Z
November 12th, 2007, 11:24 AM
GEORGETOWN has completed its 2007 season.

i am so envious. if only it were Bucknell xbawlingx

jdb037
November 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Is it over yet?

Lafayette
Holy Cross
Fordham

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Lafayette at Lehigh Lehigh This is the game I've hemmed and hawed about the most this week. Lafayette is the favorite, but the only thing they really have going for them this season compared to the Hawks is that they beat HC. Otherwise, they have the same wins (BU, GU) and losses (FU, CU) in the League. OOC the Hawks did beat Harvard, so perhaps that evens out HC (especially given how close the Crimson-Crusaders game was). In the end, Lehigh out-wills the Leopards as the seniors don't want to lose all 4 games to Lafayette. Will it mean anything for next year in terms of momentum? No idea, but the Hawks will at least claim the League's middle spot in the standings and another winning season

Colgate at Holy Cross Colgate Yeah, after all this like I'm really going to pick against Colgate. In a matchup of the League's two offensive stars, and with a real at-large shot on the line, I think Colgate closes the regular season with a bang, beating the Crusaders in Worcester again. Randolph should win Offensive Player of the year, but Scott will win the game

Bucknell at Fordham Fordham It's tempting to pick the chance at a co-championship for the Raiders, but Fordham's on a roll like we haven't seen since 2002. Possibility of a post-clinching letdown is avoided because Masella's a great coach, and the Bison can finally turn their undivided attention to basketball

colorless raider
November 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Carney-Let me join the kudos for your work this year. It was a year where parity keeps coming on.
DC 'Gate-I looked for you. You were missed at a home game for you. Raiders looked good, let's hope they keep it up.

Picks:

Lehigh
Colgate
Fordham

Congrats to the Rams. I hope we can join you in the playoffs!:D

ColgateTD
November 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I echo Colorless Raider's sentiments: thanks Carney for all your efforts. It's been a fun - and topsey turvy - season! Who knew Rams?

Picks:

Lehigh - just can't see them losing to Pards again - especially at Goodman; Sedale will have an outstanding passing game.

Fordham - my heart says Bucknell, but my head says the Rams. Upset would mean a possible at-large bid for 'Gate.

Colgate - Scott will hammer the 'Saders in the 4th quarter, as he does to everyone, which will offset Randolf passing attack. 'Gate "D" should contain air game....:D Biddle comes back from 4-7 record in 2006 to finish 8-3. Great turnaround!

Rjm7272
November 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Fordham over Bucknell
Colgate over Holy Cross
Lehigh over Lafayette

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
LAFAYETTE
HOLY CROSS
FORDHAM

I do hope Georgetown can bring itself up to HC/Fordham levels in coming years . . . or does it even wish to do so?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Still in deep thought as to the pick(s) for this week. I see a lot of our friends from Hamilton are picking the Hawks. Not quite sure how i feel about that, lol. I do think THE GAME will be close and low scoring.

Pard94
November 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I echo Colorless Raider's sentiments: thanks Carney for all your efforts. It's been a fun - and topsey turvy - season! Who knew Rams?

Picks:

Lehigh - just can't see them losing to Pards again - especially at Goodman; Sedale will have an outstanding passing game.

Fordham - my heart says Bucknell, but my head says the Rams. Upset would mean a possible at-large bid for 'Gate.

Colgate - Scott will hammer the 'Saders in the 4th quarter, as he does to everyone, which will offset Randolf passing attack. 'Gate "D" should contain air game....:D Biddle comes back from 4-7 record in 2006 to finish 8-3. Great turnaround!

Aside from being mediocre at his best...Sedale's shoulder is being held together with twine and bubblegum. For him to have an outstanding passing game he will have to get over not only the mental injury he has when he typically plays Lafayette...he will also have to throw left handed.

LehighFan11
November 15th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Aside from being mediocre at his best...Sedale's shoulder is being held together with twine and bubblegum. For him to have an outstanding passing game he will have to get over not only the mental injury he has when he typically plays Lafayette...he will also have to throw left handed.

Sedale's hasn't played that bad in his 2 career games v. Lafayette. People jump on him for being 0-2, but hardly any of it is his fault. Last year, he didn't have a good game but no Lehigh player did. In 2005, Sedale play more than good enough to win the game. He started out slow and inconsistent but he played well down the stretch. Lehigh's defense blew that game on the final drive.

bison137
November 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Fordham

Carney, thanks for doing all the work on this.

Ken_Z
November 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM
last week of the season

LAFAYETTE 13 @ LEHIGH 14: if Laf wins they will exceed my expectations for the year. i though HC would clinch knocking them out of the top 3 last week, but now must rely on Lehigh (ughh)

COLGATE 21 @ HOLY CROSS 24: no debate about an at large after this one

BUCKNELL 20 @ FORDHAM 18: let's send Landis off into the sunset with a win. if we can't win, let's just send him away. can we make Lafayette hire him?

thanks to carney for pulling this together this year. you have done a fantastic job. incredibly, you have maintained your good humor throughout regardless of what drivel i might be inspired to post. ahh, who am i kidding with this sucking up crap, i just want you to do it again next year so the battle can be continued. :)

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I do hope Georgetown can bring itself up to HC/Fordham levels in coming years . . . or does it even wish to do so?

Can we lay off the cheap shots, please?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/13/sports/ncaafootball/13georgetown.html

carney2
November 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM

New guy; forgive him. He has no idea how many times we have walked up and down this street.

PeacockRaider
November 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Lafayette @ Lehigh...The pards have owned Lehigh lately and I think that trend will continue Leopards 28-27

Colgate @ HC... Continuing with my theory, I'll take HC big. If not Congratulations to Dick Biddle and things could get interesting on Sunday.

Bucknell @ Fordham... The Rams won't let this one slip away Congratulations to Fordham, good luck against UMASS.

crusader11
November 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate- Colgate has a good running back, Holy Cross cannot stop good a good running game, therefore, Colgate wins.

carney2
November 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Kid Konsensus is almost as excited as me (or is it I?). This is the greatest week of the sports year in the carney2 household. Anyway, the Kid notes that interest in Patsy League predicting is way down, and attributes it to the fact that the Hoyas and Lewisburg Buffalos will not be playing this weekend - Georgetown because their season has ended and the bovines...well, just because they are who they are . Here are your predictions, and he has added "the line" for each game as a parenthetical comment.

LAFAYETTE over LEHIGH (Lafayette by 1/2)

COLGATE over HOLY CROSS (Holy Cross by 9)

FORDHAM over BUCKNELL (Fordham by 21)

Just a heads up for y'all: the results for Week 12 will be late this week. The expectations are that Mr. Stats will be involved in late night partying and mass consumption.

hc12
November 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
LEHIGH
HC
FORDHAM

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2007, 12:29 PM

He better thank NCAA eligibility that Blake Costanzo can no longer play due to graduation... we should slip a Costanzo poster under his door tonight so he wakes up with nightmares tomorrow morning!

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Sedale's hasn't played that bad in his 2 career games v. Lafayette. People jump on him for being 0-2, but hardly any of it is his fault. Last year, he didn't have a good game but no Lehigh player did. In 2005, Sedale play more than good enough to win the game. He started out slow and inconsistent but he played well down the stretch. Lehigh's defense blew that game on the final drive.

I guess Blake Costanzo and Maurice Bennett don't ring a bell from that game huh? Too much xwhistlex after that 2005 game I bet...

CrusaderBob
November 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Final Picks. Thanks Carney. It's been fun.

Lafayette
Fordham
Holy Cross - Been hanging with them all year can't bail on them now.

BobbyMo
November 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Fordham

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I really was being sincere; I actually do hope the Hoyas continue to improve.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Colgate 27 Holy Cross 21- Colgate rebounds with a solid 8-3 season and waits until Sunday to find out if they really had a an at-large bid. HC finishes about where expected. They're still a year or two away.

Fordham 34 Bucknell 6- The Rams cap a story book year while the Bison end a terrible one.

And then...
Lehigh 21 Lafayette 16- No matter what i can't pick against the Hawks. I do think Lafayette is the better team but not by a lot. I think emotion and being at home is enough to overcome the Pards slight edge. A loss and Coen should really start feeling the heat. This is a make or break game IMO.

carney2
November 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Patriot League - Year End results

are posted in The Lounge.

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I feel it will be a tossup game but the Pards eeking out their third win at Goodman late in the game.

Good call xnodx

ngineer
November 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I voted for Bucknell as the this weeks "most significant win"--an amazing upset that could do wonders for them next year. It was also good to see a team not 'pack it in' at the end of a horrible season.

I also voted for Colgate as this week's "most significant loss"--while not totally shocking, had the Raiders won, they could very well be an 'at-large' team with a 9-2 record and co-champions. Hard way to end the season.:(

ColgateTD
November 19th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Carney, for another fun season! You do a great job.

Colgate - a bittersweet loss. It hurts to think what coulda' been..

Bucknell - congrats on hanging in there and staying focused to the end.

Lafayette - kudos on winning at Goodman; another arrow in your quiver...or something...xbowx

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Will Bucknell grab Mike Donnelly as HC (his Muhlenberg Mules are undefeated this year and he was a Lafayette player so knows the Patriot League).