PDA

View Full Version : Should App St Get A Seed?

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Appalachian State has a chance to finish 9-2 overall and SoCon Co-Champ. They are the 2-time returning D-I champ. They beat Michigan. They did not get the SoCon AQ. They lost to Wofford who won the AQ but the Terriers are 8-3 overall.

If the committee decides on a SoCon team for a seed, should it go to App St?

T-Dog
November 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
If Montana and McNeese loses then definately. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
In my humble and homer opinion yes!

LehighFan11
November 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Not a seed, home game for sure

JMUSaxMRD
November 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Not a seed, cause then JMU may end up there... although that would be a fun roadtrip for the band :)

The Moody1
November 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I don't know if we should but I predict we will.

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
If Montana and McNeese loses then definately. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.If the committee decides on a SoCon team for a seed, should it go to App St?

Peems
November 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Depends on what happens

Peems
November 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM

No it should go to Wofford.

walliver
November 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM

I don't think Wofford will even be considered for a seed.
GSU, if they win next week, with 3 conference losses would not get much consideration.

ASU will get home field the first two rounds, but will need a little help next week to get a seed,

skinny_uncle
November 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Big if.

Hansel
November 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
have two teams from the same conference been seeded before?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Brawl of the wild is next week...if the Griz fall then I think they should get #4...I don't think that two or more of the teams ahead of App. need to lose.

Mountaineer
November 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Anything is certainly possible. While Wofford will get the AQ because of the head-to-head win - ASU will still have the same number of SoCon wins as well as the best overall record in the SoCon at 9-2. Plus there's KBS, the Michigan win, blah blah blah. xthumbsupx

Providing we actually beat Chatty.

HiHiYikas
November 10th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I would think so. Wofford would be the only other possibility at this point.

Wofford does have the head-to-head win and the SoCon autobid, but ASU looks better than Wofford in polls/ratings. ASU was 5th in the last GPI with Delaware ahead of them, and Wofford was 13th.

If Richmond wins and Massachusetts loses next week, one might make a case for Richmond as a seed.

skinny_uncle
November 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM
It could happen this year, but I doubt they would be from the SOCON. The Gateway would have a better shot at this point.

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Appalachian State has a chance to finish 9-2 overall and SoCon Co-Champ. They are the 2-time returning D-I champ. They beat Michigan. They did not get the SoCon AQ. They lost to Wofford who won the AQ but the Terriers are 8-3 overall.

Oh Brother!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

More instigation I see.

Hansel
November 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM
It could happen this year, but I doubt they would be from the SOCON. The Gateway would have a better shot at this point.

That's what I meant

I was wondering if they would give SIU a seed or not

mvemjsunpx
November 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Yes. In 2004, Furman was #2 & Georgia Southern was #4.

skinny_uncle
November 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM
That's what I meant

I was wondering if they would give SIU a seed or not
In a season that will probably see three undefeated teams, the only one loss teams are SIU and Delaware State. Who would you pick?

Mountaineer
November 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM
In a season that will probably see three undefeated teams, the only one loss teams are SIU and Delaware State. Who would you pick?

For a seed? Neither. xchinscratchx

RationalGriz
November 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Right now the seeds would be UNI, Montana, McNeese, and then either UMass, App St, or SIU

Peems
November 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I would think so. Wofford would be the only other possibility at this point.

Wofford does have the head-to-head win and the SoCon autobid, but ASU looks better than Wofford in polls/ratings. ASU was 5th in the last GPI with Delaware ahead of them, and Wofford was 13th.

If Richmond wins and Massachusetts loses next week, one might make a case for Richmond as a seed.

This reminds me of the Portland St/MSU debate last year. Both had similar records PSU had a better schedule better rank but lost the head to head. I think the committee has shown that head to head trumps all else.

Hansel
November 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Right now the seeds would be UNI, Montana, McNeese, and then either UMass, App St, or SIU

seeded teams don't lose to Rhode Island ;)

appstate38
November 10th, 2007, 08:08 PM
If we get a seed then we will have to send a case of beer to the Richmond Spiders!

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 08:11 PM
seeded teams don't lose to Rhode Island ;)

UMass should get a seed over App and the reason being... Our two Ls would be to BC by 10 and URI in a hurricane. App has 2 FCS losses.

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM
If Montana and McNeese loses then definately. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.

I think people were saying we need two of the teams ahead of us to be able to get a seed. Delaware lost, need another to really be in the talks I would think.

APPST '93
November 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
UMass should get a seed over App and the reason being... Our two Ls would be to BC by 10 and URI in a hurricane. App has 2 FCS losses.

A win at Michigan means nothing????????????

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Regardless if App does or does not get a seed.....and end up making it back to Chatty. They'll most likely have to go play away from KBS....which would be weird looking at the last two years hah

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
A win at Michigan means nothing????????????

Still 2 FCS losses

igo4uni
November 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
remember SIU has a FBS win and only 1 loss...........to UNI.

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
remember SIU has a FBS win and only 1 loss...........to UNI.

Then they will prob get the 4th seed

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Still 2 FCS losses

Fact of the matter is...correct me if I'm wrong I mean....

Both losses were close losses...One is to the SoCon champ, co-champ is App wins next week.
The other is to another potential playoff team....but still close.
Beating a then Top 5 team, in the country at their stadium, should give take some of the losses away from hurting as much.

Personally I don't believe we'll get a seed. With so many teams up there that could get it. UNI, Montana, McNeese should be locks, if they win.

That leaves SIU, ASU, and UMass as the teams for the 4th. SIU most likely will get it.
I think UMass is good, but losing to Rhode Island hurts alot more than losing to two top level teams + beating Michigan.

Question, does NDSU not participate?

igo4uni
November 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM

xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx Uh, sure, they participate!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

igo4uni
November 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM
xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx Uh, sure, they participate!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

I'm sorry..............I shouldn't be such a smarta55.......NDSU is not playoff eligible until next year!

Appattk
November 10th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Fact of the matter is...correct me if I'm wrong I mean....

Both losses were close losses...One is to the SoCon champ, co-champ is App wins next week.
The other is to another potential playoff team....but still close.
Beating a then Top 5 team, in the country at their stadium, should give take some of the losses away from hurting as much.

Personally I don't believe we'll get a seed. With so many teams up there that could get it. UNI, Montana, McNeese should be locks, if they win.

That leaves SIU, ASU, and UMass as the teams for the 4th. SIU most likely will get it.
I think UMass is good, but losing to Rhode Island hurts alot more than losing to two top level teams + beating Michigan.

According to the GPI

Delaware = #4
SIU = #5
ASU = #5
UMass = #8

Taking NDSU out and dropping Delaware after their loss today puts SIU & ASU into the 3 / 4 spot...

With that I say ASU might sneak into the 4 spot provided they beat UTCChat next week.

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry..............I shouldn't be such a smarta55.......NDSU is not playoff eligible until next year!

hahaha, I thought they weren't yet. Wasn't sure.

Appstate29
November 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM

I don't know if i would agree with that, our two losses are to two very good FCS teams, and we beat a very good BCS team. UMASS lost to a very good BCS team and lost to a bad FCS team.

GrizFanIRAQ
November 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
If the selection was today...it would probably be

1 UNI
2 Montana
3 McNeese
4 S. Illinois

GrizFanIRAQ
November 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
xcoffeex If the selection was today...it would probably be

1 UNI
2 Montana
3 McNeese
4 S. Illinois

xcoffeex xcoffeex xrulesx xrulesx

appmountaineer
November 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I believe app will get the seed due to strength of schedule. However i bet the vote will be close between SIU and App.

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I don't know if i would agree with that, our two losses are to two very good FCS teams, and we beat a very good BCS team. UMASS lost to a very good BCS team and lost to a bad FCS team.

A bad fcs football team in just pure insane weather. Im sorry but on any other field on any other day UMass wins... just not vs a pure running team in 60 mph winds and heavy rain.

HiHiYikas
November 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM
This reminds me of the Portland St/MSU debate last year. Both had similar records PSU had a better schedule better rank but lost the head to head. I think the committee has shown that head to head trumps all else.
MSU-PSU was about 2 bubble teams vying for 1 playoff spot. This is about seeding for 2 teams that are currently playoff givens. ASU lost to Furman in 05, and, at 8-3, still got the seed.

BigApp
November 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Im sorry but on any other field on any other day UMass wins... just not vs a pure running team in 60 mph winds and heavy rain.

sorry UMF, can't use that excuse. It just doesn't fly. Both teams played in the same conditions, on the same field.

If you're going to use weather as an excuse, then we can too. Our guys practiced in 60 degree weather all week and showed up in Spartanburg to play Wofford in 95-100 degrees.

Cincy App
November 10th, 2007, 10:20 PM
No it should go to Wofford.

All games count - including nonconference games. ASU is 9-2 while Wofford is 8-3. The teams will likely be co-champs in the conference. ASU will be the SoCon team under consideration for a seed.

As of today, the final seed will be between ASU, SIU, and UMass. I like ASU's chances for the 4th seed.

rcny46
November 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
A resounding YES! to the question posed in this thread.xnodx

appmountaineer
November 10th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Can money play into the decision for the seed? i mean ASU brings in the most fans of any FCS team...which means the most ticket sales. Do you think the committee would keep that in their minds for their vote?

FCS Go!
xthumbsupx

If all in consideration win out, App St gets the seed. Sorry Salukis, I just don't think the committee will seed two Gateway teams, no matter the merits of the Gateway runner up.

umassfan
sorry UMF, can't use that excuse. It just doesn't fly. Both teams played in the same conditions, on the same field.

If you're going to use weather as an excuse, then we can too. Our guys practiced in 60 degree weather all week and showed up in Spartanburg to play Wofford in 95-100 degrees.

Heat and wind are two totaly different weather conditions. You can pass in heat... wind you cant. You cant give me the excuse that both teams play on the same field. One team is built for those conditions where the other one isnt... reguardless App has 2 fcs losses and UMass has 1.

FCS Go!
November 10th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Heat and wind are two totaly different weather conditions. You can pass in heat... wind you cant. You cant give me the excuse that both teams play on the same field. One team is built for those conditions where the other one isnt... reguardless App has 2 fcs losses and UMass has 1.

UMass blew it last week. Without help from other teams they are out of consideration for a seed.

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM
UMass blew it last week. Without help from other teams they are out of consideration for a seed.

With a top 5 sos and one FCS loss... I wouldnt be so sure.

saluki_in_ohio
November 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I believe app will get the seed due to strength of schedule. However i bet the vote will be close between SIU and App.

If it came down to a dead heat, you know darn well that ASU would get the #4 over SIU for the following reasons:

1. Media darlings of FCS(Michigan win)
2. Higher Attendance(more money)

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 10:38 PM
If it came down to a dead heat, you know darn well that ASU would get the #4 over SIU for the following reasons:

1. Media darlings of FCS(Michigan win)
2. Higher Attendance(more money)

3. Different conference ( region) than UNI

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Money, money, money.......MONEY!!!!!!

Will be the driving factor

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Money, money, money.......MONEY!!!!!!

Will be the driving factor

And thats why the current system sucks!

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I see them getting a home game...but not a seed. Is it possible for them to get a seed when Wofford received the autobid? Unless you give the So Conf two seeds and I don't see that happening either.

BULLDOG8180
November 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Of course it is possible, the seeds go to the top 4 rated teams, doesn't matter where they finish in their conference.

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I see them getting a home game...but not a seed. Is it possible for them to get a seed when Wofford received the autobid? Unless you give the So Conf two seeds and I don't see that happening either.

I agree

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Yes, but hopefully the fact that they're the two time defending champ would have nothing to do with it. I do hope the Committee doesn't make what happened in past years a factor in its decisions for the current year.

The reason they'll be the best candidate for a seed is that they'll have the best overall record in the conference and they'll have beaten Michigan.

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yes, but hopefully the fact that they're the two time defending champ would have nothing to do with it. I do hope the Committee doesn't make what happened in past years a factor in its decisions for the current year.

The reason they'll be the best candidate for a seed is that they'll have the best overall record in the conference and they'll have beaten Michigan.

But they arent even going to win the Auto bid and they have two FCS losses

FCS Go!
November 10th, 2007, 11:11 PM

But everyone thinks they're better than UMass or any other contender for the open spot! It doesn't matter. Losing late in the season to an unranked team hurts. When was App St's last loss? 4 or 5 weeks ago.

umassfan
November 10th, 2007, 11:18 PM
But everyone thinks they're better than UMass or any other contender for the open spot! It doesn't matter. Losing late in the season to an unranked team hurts. When was App St's last loss? 4 or 5 weeks ago.

Still you lost to Wofford who will win the SOCON.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Hey, SIU wins out now and they get the 4th seed - the committee has shown several times (Colgate, Hampton) that money isn't what drives the seeding. Appy's got 2 FCS losses, while SIU has one to the #1 team in the nation. Forget geography, forget media darlings - SIU will get the seed over Appy St as long as they take care of business and win this week.

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Still you lost to Wofford who will win the SOCON.xnonox xnonox

App will tie Wofford for the SoCon Championship with a win next week against UTC. Lord, how many Times?xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Hey, SIU wins out now and they get the 4th seed - the committee has shown several times (Colgate, Hampton) that money isn't what drives the seeding. Appy's got 2 FCS losses, while SIU has one to the #1 team in the nation. Forget geography, forget media darlings - SIU will get the seed over Appy St as long as they take care of business and win this week.

This could easily happen as well, until then we are all just mushrooms of the NCAA committee.xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
With a top 5 sos and one BAD 2 win team FCS loss and loss to a good BCS team... I wouldnt be so sure. =9-2Fixed it for yaxthumbsupx

Against

The #1 sos with 2 good loses to ranked (possible playoff teams) and a win over a ranked BCS team. = 9-2

I wouldn't be so sure either.

Who the hell knows???

TheValleyRaider
November 10th, 2007, 11:56 PM

The only things that could hold SIU back are conference and geography.

-Would the Committee not only give 2 seeds to the Gateway, but 2 seeds to the Gateway's only 2 participants?

-Would the Committee give 2 seeds to teams that are geographically that close to one another?

Either one by itself seems somewhat plausible, but both together might at least give me pause. That said, SIU deserves a seed over App. State for body of work xtwocentsx

siugrad99
November 11th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Sorry, but IF SIU wins @ Hampton then SIU should get the # 4 seed. SIU's only loss is to UNI on the Road in the Dome. Since the majority of this site is fans of conferences other than the Gateway I am not surprised by the responses.

bostonspider
November 11th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Well is Richmond just as deserving of a seed as ASU, with wins against UD in Newark, and JMU in Harrisonburg? One loss is to SEC Vanderbilt, and then one came on the last play of the game at Towson. Now granted the TU loss is not looking so good, but the other wins at home versus VU and UNH are nice as well.

GannonFan
November 11th, 2007, 12:13 AM
The only things that could hold SIU back are conference and geography.

-Would the Committee not only give 2 seeds to the Gateway, but 2 seeds to the Gateway's only 2 participants?

-Would the Committee give 2 seeds to teams that are geographically that close to one another?

Either one by itself seems somewhat plausible, but both together might at least give me pause. That said, SIU deserves a seed over App. State for body of work xtwocentsx

The committee has given seeds to two teams from the same conference frequently in the past - that's not that big of a deterrent. And geography isn't going to be that important - it's not like there are tons of playoff schools within bus-driving distance of Boone - if you're going to have to travel anyway then there's no reason to not give SIU the seed it's record deserves.

TheValleyRaider
November 11th, 2007, 12:26 AM
The committee has given seeds to two teams from the same conference frequently in the past - that's not that big of a deterrent. And geography isn't going to be that important - it's not like there are tons of playoff schools within bus-driving distance of Boone - if you're going to have to travel anyway then there's no reason to not give SIU the seed it's record deserves.

I know they have when there's more than 2 teams, but have they done it when those 2 teams are the conference's only representatives? Just some late Saturday night wondering xchinscratchx

FCSFAN
November 11th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I know they have when there's more than 2 teams, but have they done it when those 2 teams are the conference's only representatives? Just some late Saturday night wondering xchinscratchx2004, #2 Furman and #4 Georgia Southern

Barnstormer
November 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM
SIU a #4.... Possible rematch in the Dome... I don't know.. that first game stressed me out, not sure if I could do it again.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Not a seed, cause then JMU may end up there... although that would be a fun roadtrip for the band :)

Whether or not ASU gets a seed will have no bearing on whether JMU goes to ASU in the 1st round, which is going to happen, Fri afternoon, Nov 23rd, 1:30, ESPN. Make your plans for going to Boone!

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I don't think Wofford will even be considered for a seed.
GSU, if they win next week, with 3 conference losses would not get much consideration.

ASU will get home field the first two rounds, but will need a little help next week to get a seed,

You CAN'T get home field for the 2nd round without being a seed! (unless someone upsets a seed in the 1st round). There's 4 second round games. If the 4 seeds win their 1st round games, the 4 second round games are hosted by the 4 seeds. Thats automatic.

BDKJMU
November 11th, 2007, 01:11 AM

Its happened 6 times since the 4 was expanded to 16 in 86'
88' #2 GSU, #4 Furman
89' #1 GSU, #2 Furman
97' #1 Villanova & #3 UD (seeded all 16)
99' #2 GSU, #4 ASU (seeded all 16)
01' #2 GSU, #3 Furman
04' #2 Furman, #4 GSU

Damn, thats 4 times GSU & Furman!

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=75056

Eyes of Old Main
November 11th, 2007, 02:49 AM
88' #2 GSU, #4 Furman
89' #1 GSU, #2 Furman

GSU wasn't in the SoCon in '88 and '89.

Eyes of Old Main
November 11th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Appalachian might get a seed if some losses occur elsewhere, otherwise, they'll be "close, but no cigar". Wofford will get the autobid, but does not deserve seeding and very doubtfully will get any home games. The Mountaineers will get as many home games as the seeding of their opponents dictate due to their attendence.

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Remember, the question was whether or not App State is the best candidate for a seed in the Southern Conference. I think they obviously are. Everybody else in their conference also has two FCS losses.

And I don't think looking at the team that got the autobid is necessarily the end all. Suppose, for example, you have one team finish 7-4 and another 10-1, they had comparable non conference schedules, but the 7-4 got an upset in the head to head so that it gets the automatic bid. If the committee seeds one of the two teams, it's not going to be the 7-4 team.

It's not as obvious in this case. But you've got a 9-2 team that beat Michigan vs. an 8-3 team that lost by 21 to North Carolina State. If it comes down to a decision between the two as to being a seed the committee will and should pick the 9-2 team for the same reason the polls and almost all of the power ratings have the 9-2 team rated higher right. Overall, in spite of losing head to head, the 9-2 team's performance is more impressive.

APPST '93
November 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Please give the #4 seed to SIU and put us in the bracket with McNeese St and Montana. I would rather face UNI on a neutral field.

Houndawg
November 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Please give the #4 seed to SIU and put us in the bracket with McNeese St and Montana. I would rather face UNI on a neutral field.

I'm hoping SIU is on the other side of the bracket from UNI, too. I'm afraid we'd peak a game early if we play them in the semis.

AppStateMan
November 11th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I quote David Jackson, the voice of the Mountaineers:

"Should the Mountaineers win out their slate, an impressive 9-2 record and the best out-of-conference win of any school in the playoff mix are enough to give the two-time defending champs legitimate seed possibilities. Appalachian has maintained a strength-of-schedule that has ranked in the top-five of the NCAA statistics for much of the year and that does not count Michigan’s success over the last several weeks. That strength of schedule will fall a bit after games against Western Carolina and Chattanooga, but wins over Michigan, Northern Arizona and potential Big South Champion Gardner Webb combined with five wins in the second-deepest conference in the FCS nation (behind only the Colonial) are more than enough, based on the current conditions, to give the Apps a seed on Selection Sunday. Best Win: 34-31 at Michigan Worst Loss: 42-31 at then No. 13 Wofford"

Now Gardner Webb did lose last night and will most likley not win an outright Big South Championship.....Still, App State gets a seed

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM
If ASU does get the #4 it'll work better for them than having the possibility of going to UNI.

Rather see a rematch of 2005 in Chatty.

APPST '93
November 11th, 2007, 08:37 AM
If ASU does get the #4 it'll work better for them than having the possibility of going to UNI.

Rather see a rematch of 2005 in Chatty.

Confused? App as #4 seed would travel to UNI in semi's. I hope you're saying it works better for UNI.

Saluki_man
November 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM
The resaon why SIU will get the seed over ASU is that ASU is has two FCS losses with one at home.

ASUPATCH
November 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Mcneese wont automatically get the 3 seed? No offense to them but they played a really weak schedule this year. Going into it it didnt look as bad as it ended up being. I could see a UNI MONTANA ASU SIU seeding in the making. Call me crazy but their season doesnt look as good as ASU SIU or UMASS on paper to me.

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Mcneese wont automatically get the 3 seed? No offense to them but they played a really weak schedule this year. Going into it it didnt look as bad as it ended up being. I could see a UNI MONTANA ASU SIU seeding in the making. Call me crazy but their season doesnt look as good as ASU SIU or UMASS on paper to me.Why Montana and not McNeese? The Cowboys did win an FBS game. The Griz did win an NAIA game. Neither lost a game yet. ASU has lost two and SIU one to go with their FBS wins. UMass has lost one to go with their FBS loss.

Houndawg
November 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Mcneese wont automatically get the 3 seed? No offense to them but they played a really weak schedule this year. Going into it it didnt look as bad as it ended up being. I could see a UNI MONTANA ASU SIU seeding in the making. Call me crazy but their season doesnt look as good as ASU SIU or UMASS on paper to me.

Don't you mean a UNI, UM, SIU, ASU seeding?;) I could see it, and the selection folks should pay attention to who you schedule as a method of inducing the cherry pickers to play someone OOC. They do in basketball.

GGASU
November 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I think it is a coin flip with SIU if Montana wins against the Bobcats.

With SIU only having one loss I would lean toward them, but being in the same conference as the #1 seed may hurt them.

GO BOBCATS

DB_Atlantic10
November 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Anything is certainly possible. While Wofford will get the AQ because of the head-to-head win - ASU will still have the same number of SoCon wins as well as the best overall record in the SoCon at 9-2. Plus there's KBS, the Michigan win, blah blah blah. xthumbsupx

Providing we actually beat Chatty. Did Wofford have a D-II win as App St. did? (Lenoir Rhymes) I honestly think Richmond will end up with a seed...

1. Nothern Iowa
2. McNeese
3. Montana
4. Richmond (if they beat W&M)

GreatAppSt
November 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Appalachian might get a seed if some losses occur elsewhere, otherwise, they'll be "close, but no cigar". Wofford will get the autobid, but does not deserve seeding and very doubtfully will get any home games. The Mountaineers will get as many home games as the seeding of their opponents dictate due to their attendence.

Yup Wofford going to be sent to Montana and kick the snipes outta the Griz.:D

Houndawg
November 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I think it is a coin flip with SIU if Montana wins against the Bobcats.

With SIU only having one loss I would lean toward them, but being in the same conference as the #1 seed may hurt them.

GO BOBCATS

It could, and as someone mentioned, if SIU has the seed then all the seeds are at the westernmost schools in the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Why Montana and not McNeese? The Cowboys did win an FBS game. The Griz did win an NAIA game. Neither lost a game yet. ASU has lost two and SIU one to go with their FBS wins. UMass has lost one to go with their FBS loss.

I don't understand that either. If you're going to argue that McNeese shouldn't get a seed because of schedule strength, I don't see why you shouldn't be arguing the same thing with respect to Montana. The thinig is, if you look at objective power ratings that consider schedule strength, McNeese is in or near the top 4 in most of them. Montana is not. At least that was the case as of last week and I don't expect their relative positions in such ratings to change this week as, going in, Northwestern State had a higher "average" rating than Idaho State did (see http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ).

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I don't understand that either. If you're going to argue that McNeese shouldn't get a seed because of schedule strength, I don't see why you shouldn't be arguing the same thing with respect to Montana. The thinig is, if you look at objective power ratings that consider schedule strength, McNeese is in or near the top 4 in most of them. Montana is not. At least that was the case as of last week and I don't expect their relative positions in such ratings to change this week as, going in, Northwestern State had a higher "average" rating than Idaho State did (see http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm ).I think the undefeateds should get seeds and the last one goes to the CAA or SOCON.

With the question of this thread being should ASU get the seed if it comes from the SOCON?

Despite losing to Wofford who got the SOCON AQ, overall the Mountaineers have the better record and the committee could award them the seed.

APPST '93
November 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Did Wofford have a D-II win as App St. did? (Lenoir Rhymes) I honestly think Richmond will end up with a seed...

1. Northern Iowa
2. McNeese
3. Montana
4. Richmond (if they beat W&M)

Once again. ASU beat Michigan. ASU lost to two teams with winning records. What did UR do this year????? They lost to Vandy and Towson (3-7).

By the way...I don't want the seed unless it's 2 or 3. UNI will be hard to beat in the dome. Give the seed to SIU (10-1).

2007 Schedule for Richmond

DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
09/01 at Vanderbilt L 41-17
09/08 at N'eastern W 49-14
09/22 at Bucknell W 45-14
09/29 N Hamp W 45-38
10/06 at Towson L 23-21
10/13 Stony Brook W 42-0
10/20 URI W 38-6
10/27 at JMU W 17-16
11/03 Villanova W 35-27
11/10 at Delaware W 62-56
11/17 W & Mary 12:00 PM

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I don't think App State gets a seed. But woe be to whomever does and has to face App State. xnodx

KAUMASS
November 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
How do Wofford's facilities compare to App State? Looking online I would give it to App. State. Close call for a 4 seed either way if it goes that direction. I think the committee would give it to the better facility for a ESPN covered game. Of course, App. State has to win next week.

Cincy App
November 11th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Once again. ASU beat Michigan. ASU lost to two teams with winning records. What did UR do this year????? They lost to Vandy and Towson (3-7).

By the way...I don't want the seed unless it's 2 or 3. UNI will be hard to beat in the dome. Give the seed to SIU (10-1).

The more home games - the better. There are more good teams in FCS than just UNI. I'll love for ASU to get a seed even if matched up on UNI's side of the bracket.

BigApp
November 11th, 2007, 12:35 PM
How do Wofford's facilities compare to App State?

Wofford's place is nicknamed "The Morgue". Ours is "The Rock".

Does that help answer your question?

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
The only thing that sucks for us is the enhancements they're doing to Kidd Brewer. Some of the new complex will be finished before next season, right now it's just a big work in progress.

ab4app
November 11th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I really dont care if we get a seed or not, we win next week and we are in the playoffs for sure, If we can get a few guys back from injury the following week I think we have just as good a shot as anyone else at making a run, home or away. UNIxeekx and SIUxeekx scare me the most I think, not to count anyone else out (AGS right) but those two worry me the most.One thing is for sure though, this year especially in the playoffs, there will be NO EASY WINSxnonox , there are just way too many great teams. Whoever gets the crown will sho nuff deserve itxbowx

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM
How do Wofford's facilities compare to App State? Looking online I would give it to App. State. Close call for a 4 seed either way if it goes that direction. I think the committee would give it to the better facility for a ESPN covered game. Of course, App. State has to win next week.Facilities shouldn't enter into it for seeds.

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I don't want to face UNI unless it's on a neutral field....say Chatty? haha

AppMountaineer13
November 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I honestly don't think either ASU or SIU is as deserving as UR should UR get the autobid from the CAA. If UR loses and umass wins this weekend, Umass gets the auto and here's how it should play out:

ASU gets the #4 over SIU based on noticeably stronger OOC schedule and, with all due respect, co-champs in the SoCon this year is a more impressive than #2 in the gateway.

BigApp
November 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Still you lost to Wofford who will win the SOCON.

and you lost to an 8 (or 9) loss team. We lost to 2 playoff (caliber) teams with a combined 6 losses. Get over yourself.xcoffeex

skinny_uncle
November 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM
and you lost to an 8 (or 9) loss team. We lost to 2 playoff (caliber) teams with a combined 6 losses. Get over yourself.xcoffeex
And SIU lost to one playoff caliber team (#1 UNI) with a combined no losses. Get over yourself.

mistersykes
November 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I think SIU is more deserving than App at this point. We didn't do the job and lost two games. That doesn't exactly shout "deserving". However, I think we'll get one somehow. In 2005, didn't our 8-3 Mountaineers get the 2 seed? Of course, different year, different competition. Just sayin'!

AppMountaineer13
November 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I think SIU is more deserving than App at this point. We didn't do the job and lost two games. That doesn't exactly shout "deserving". However, I think we'll get one somehow. In 2005, didn't our 8-3 Mountaineers get the 2 seed? Of course, different year, different competition. Just sayin'!

our only i-aa loss that year was a 3 point loss to Furman, we won the SoCon outright, and had an impressive showing against I-A #8 LSU late in the season -- it was much easier to make a case for ASU being a top-4 team in '05 than it is at the moment

Appaholic
November 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
A bad fcs football team in just pure insane weather. Im sorry but on any other field on any other day UMass wins... just not vs a pure running team in 60 mph winds and heavy rain.

You lost in bad weather, we lost without our starting QB....xeyebrowx

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
If UR and UMASS are co-champs one of them should get the 4 seed over SIU.

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
If UR and UMASS are co-champs one of them should get the 4 seed over SIU.

Won't happen unless Hampton pulls the upset against SIU this week. If the Pirates don't do it, SIU will be 10-1 with the only loss being by 6 points to the number 1 seed (an assumption, I know, but UNI's playing Southern Utah at home in its last game). UMass lost to 2-8 Rhode Island and Richmond lost to 3-7 Towson. And the Committee isn't going to cut UMass any slack for losing to Rhode Island in a storm.

No way UMass or Richmond's going to end up being seeded over SIU if SIU beats Hampton.

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM
UNI's playing Southern Utah at home in its last gameI think I'll go with SUU this one. That tough schedule has to pay off sometime. xreadx xlolx

In all seriousness, I highly doubt ASU gets a seed this year. A lot of things would need to happen for that. It is weird, though...

#1 - UNI
#2 - Montana
#3 - McNeese St.
#4 - SIU

All teams from the "West." (Three from the Mid-West, IMO :p )

james_lawfirm
November 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I know I will incur the wrath of the Montana fans, but have you guys seen where your SOS puts you on the GPI? #9, I think. As I recall from past Playoff Committee actions, the committee relies heavily on the GPI in finding the top 16 teams, AND in choosing the 4 seeds. Therefore, I will go not too far out on a limb and predict Montana gets no seed.

ASU & SIU are tied for 5th in last weeks GPI, w/ NDSU #2. So, ASU still has a darn good shot at a #4 seed. So, don't be surprised on "bracket Sunday" if you see ASU seeded. Assuming, of course, that we beat UTC.

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I know I will incur the wrath of the Montana fans, but have you guys seen where your SOS puts you on the GPI? #9, I think. As I recall from past Playoff Committee actions, the committee relies heavily on the GPI in finding the top 16 teams, AND in choosing the 4 seeds. Therefore, I will go not too far out on a limb and predict Montana gets no seed.

ASU & SIU are tied for 5th in last weeks GPI, w/ NDSU #2. So, ASU still has a darn good shot at a #4 seed. So, don't be surprised on "bracket Sunday" if you see ASU seeded. Assuming, of course, that we beat UTC.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If we lose to MSU, you might be right, but an undefeated Montana, even if we were 20th on the GPI, gets a seed. Hell, even if we lose to MSU, we might still get a seed.

Riding the Michigan win to a seed would have been a lot easier, had you guys not lost twice. xreadx

Black and Gold Express
November 11th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I don't care whether we are seeded or not. The way we have been putting the pieces back together, we are close to hitting on all cylinders now, especially on offense. And doing that at the perfect time.

Bring on anyone, I don't care who or where - thought the more home games the better obviously. There's only 1 team I think would legitimately be a favorite against ASU, home or road, and that's UNI and they'd barely be one. We're definitely a team nobody will be hoping to see on their side of the bracket come selection sunday.

Appaholic
November 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If we lose to MSU, you might be right, but an undefeated Montana, even if we were 20th on the GPI, gets a seed. Hell, even if we lose to MSU, we might still get a seed.

Riding the Michigan win to a seed would have been a lot easier, had you guys not lost twice. xreadx

I agree. Unless Montana loses this week, they desrve a seed.

UNI
UM
McNeese
SIU (>APP>UMass)

I don't think we will and I think SIU desrves it over us, but we deserve it over UMass.

james_lawfirm
November 12th, 2007, 05:50 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You might be right. However, I recall an 11-0 Hampton team in 2005 that got a #4 seed based on their undefeated record. They had a low SOS too, and made an early first round exit. I think the playoff committee will remember that.

I just would not be surprised if Montana was not seeded, even if you beat MSU. And for the record, ASU was not just riding the Michigan win to a seed. Each game of the season we have gotten better. Sure we've lost twice. But in 2005, we were 8-3 & a #2 seed.

Personally, I want to see a Montana/ASU rematch.

Tealblood
November 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
has anybody mentioned that App. beat Michigan

xsmiley_wix

CamelCityAppFan
November 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
If Montana takes care of business this weekend, they get a seed.

Undefeated + playoff history + legendary stadium > weak SOS

What they do with the seed will be up to them...are they prepared for a high-octane offense? Can they win a shoot-out? We shall see...

Ronin
November 12th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Based on current standings... Yes, they would have the # 4 seed.

Ronin
November 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM
If Montana takes care of business this weekend, they get a seed.

Undefeated + playoff history + legendary stadium > weak SOS

What they do with the seed will be up to them...are they prepared for a high-octane offense? Can they win a shoot-out? We shall see...

Pros
Undefeated

Cons
weak SOS

History and stadium means nothing in seeding.

APPST '93
November 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Pros
Undefeated

Cons
weak SOS

History and stadium means nothing in seeding.

$$$$$$$ does. We all know that Montana can fill their seats.

ASUdrummer
November 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Assuming we win against UTC, do we really want a seed? I mean it's looking like the only seed we can get is the #4 spot which puts us against UNI before Dec. 15th. Another question is if we don't get a seed will the committee place us in the same side of the bracket as UNI? I would think not so there would be a chance of arguably the two best teams talent-wise (obviously not record wise) playing for the Championship. Thoughts anyone???

Cincy App
November 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Assuming we win against UTC, do we really want a seed? I mean it's looking like the only seed we can get is the #4 spot which puts us against UNI before Dec. 15th. Another question is if we don't get a seed will the committee place us in the same side of the bracket as UNI? I would think not so there would be a chance of arguably the two best teams talent-wise (obviously not record wise) playing for the Championship. Thoughts anyone???

UNI is the team to beat but I don't think they are significantly better than UMass, McNeese, Montana, Richmond, etc. You want to play at home as long as possible. UNI (or ASU) could lose before the semis. Also, the Committee sometimes switches the #3 and #4 seeds to create regional matchups. It's to ASU's advantage to get a seed regardless of the potential matchups. I think ASU has a reasonable chance to make a deep playoff run - but UNI is hardly the only challenging team that stands in the way.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2007, 11:10 AM

I think the fact that the balance of FCS schools and media are in the east, that an eastern team will get the seed. xeyebrowx

WVAPPmountaineer
November 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Assuming we win against UTC, do we really want a seed?
ABSOLUTELY, WE WANT THE SEED --- As many games at home as possible and we could still end up with a 2 or 3

GannonFan
November 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think the fact that the balance of FCS schools and media are in the east, that an eastern team will get the seed. xeyebrowx

How does Appy St get the seed over SIU? It's not like SIU played chopped liver - they won every game but a 6 point loss in the dome to the #1 team in the nation. When SIU beats Hampton this week, they will have the #4 seed and it won't even be close.

Appy St has had a great year, and no one is diminishing the Michigan win, but Wofford and Georgia Southern (heck, the latter may not even be a playoff team) are not such great losses that they'll jump ahead of one-loss SIU.

Mountaineer#96
November 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I don't know if we really deserve it, but as what has been stated we will take what is given.....

CamelCityAppFan
November 12th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Seed, no seed, doesn't matter to us unless we're 1 or 2. I agree that 3 or 4 isn't that much different from being the first or second unseeded team.

I think it's pretty certain we'll play in KBS in the first weekend. Second weekend, it depends on what the other teams in the bracket do. Third weekend, almost certain to be on the road-- but I don't think this team will be intimidated by a road game this year.

Fourth weekend, if we make it that far-- we have a lot of experience in that particular stadium.

sharkeycox
November 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Nopexcoffeex

The Moody1
November 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Nopexcoffeex

Yep. :D

I believe we will get a seed over McNeese or SIU anyway.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
For GannonFan -
How does Appy St get the seed over SIU? It's not like SIU played chopped liver - they won every game but a 6 point loss in the dome to the #1 team in the nation. When SIU beats Hampton this week, they will have the #4 seed and it won't even be close.

Do you think the committee will pick 2 teams from one conference? - Meaning all 4 seeds will be from the "West"

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
These folks who think that the gateway is getting 2 seeds are tripping the light fantastic. Hate to break it to you fellas but CAA or SoCon is getting a seed.

skinny_uncle
November 12th, 2007, 08:08 PM
For GannonFan -

Do you think the committee will pick 2 teams from one conference? - Meaning all 4 seeds will be from the "West"

If you consider SIU a team from the "West", you need to get a map.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Did you not see the "-" I put around West??? - The committee considers the Southland and Gateway as Western conferences - check it out ---

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 01:19 PM
For GannonFan -

Yup, I do. The Gateway's never been really considered a "western" conference anyway. You can't not go with the 3 undefeated teams, so that's 3 seeds right there. And like I said, SIU's only loss is to the #1 seed by 6 points in UNI's building and they had 2 chances at the end to win it - a pretty good showing. Plus SIU has also beaten an FBS team. Appy St's two losses were to an 8-3 Wofford team and a 7-3 GSU team that won't even be a playoff team should they not win in Fort Collins this week. SIU's got the stronger resume. I don't see anywhere in the committee's guidelines that they'll seed on a geographic basis. Having 2 seeds from one conference has happened a lot in the past - why would they shy away from that now?

WVAPPmountaineer
November 13th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I never stated SIU didn't deserve it and yes the Gateway is considered "West" along with the Big Sky, Southland and OVC with the Patriot, CAA, MEAC and SoCon the "East" as far as AQs go --- Sorry to disappoint you but if APP wins Saturday they will be a seed and could be as high as #2 - It was there for Delaware to take and they lost it ---

BigApp
November 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM

you mean, a map like this one?
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/stadiums/images/stadiums/fcsmap.jpg

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I never stated SIU didn't deserve it and yes the Gateway is considered "West" along with the Big Sky, Southland and OVC with the Patriot, CAA, MEAC and SoCon the "East" as far as AQs go --- Sorry to disappoint you but if APP wins Saturday they will be a seed and could be as high as #2 - It was there for Delaware to take and they lost it ---

It doesn't have anything to do with Delaware - the seeds will be UNI, Montana, McNeese, and SIU. If SIU loses, then by all means Appy St will get the seed, but without that happening, the Gateway will get two seeds - just like the SoCon did in 2004, 2001, 1999 (oh, all 4 top seeds were "Eastern" teams that year), and like the A10 did in 1997.

james_lawfirm
November 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
BA:
Love the map! But, if you did it yourself, you got WAAAYYYYY too much time on your hands!

Yep, "West" is relative.

BigApp
November 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
can't take credit for it...but you're right "West" is relative

The Moody1
November 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=GannonFan;738927 the seeds will be UNI, Montana, McNeese, and SIU. [/QUOTE]

I have a feeling you are going to be very disappointed Sunday afternoon. xlolx

skinny_uncle
November 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
can't take credit for it...but you're right "West" is relative
Where I live, the Mississippi River is considered the dividing line. Five of the seven current Gateway members are east of the Mississippi. It's just hard to picture that as a western conference to me. Two thirds of the USA is west of us.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Where I live, the Mississippi River is considered the dividing line. Five of the seven current Gateway members are east of the Mississippi. It's just hard to picture that as a western conference to me. Two thirds of the USA is west of us.

Remember this is the NCAA we are talking about - not known for making decisions based on common sense ---

Houndawg
November 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Remember this is the NCAA we are talking about - not known for making decisions based on common sense ---

OTOH, giving SIU the 4 seed ensures that there won't be an all Gateway final.

crunifan
November 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I don't care whether we are seeded or not. The way we have been putting the pieces back together, we are close to hitting on all cylinders now, especially on offense. And doing that at the perfect time.

Bring on anyone, I don't care who or where - thought the more home games the better obviously. There's only 1 team I think would legitimately be a favorite against ASU, home or road, and that's UNI and they'd barely be one. We're definitely a team nobody will be hoping to see on their side of the bracket come selection sunday.

To be completely honest, I would MUCH rather see Appalachian State the number 4 seed on our side of the bracket as opposed to SIU.

I would love to see Appalachian State's reacation to playing in the UNI-Dome.

appfan2008
November 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
To be completely honest, I would MUCH rather see Appalachian State the number 4 seed on our side of the bracket as opposed to SIU.

It would probably be the same as it was against you in chatty! or in ann arbor or statesboro or greenville....

100 yards 11 players 2 endzones one football... game on!!!

GreatAppSt
November 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM

It would seem quiet.;)

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 13th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Don't forget about politics. The FCS playoff does not generate much revenue, nor media interest for the NCAA, with App beating Michigan, being 2 time national champion, and a very entertaining team to watch,we provide the best media angle for the NCCA to generate additional revenue in terms of gate revenue to an APP game, and more importantly, increased TV revenue. I don't know if we deserve a seed ( I truly do not know enough about the teams ahead of us in the polls to make an educated guess), but I do believe politics, fare or not, are on the side of the Mountaineers, like it or not, at this time we are the flag ship for the FCS, and it serves the NCAA best interest to have us go as far as possible. Last point, having said all this, it is hard for me to believe having kept up with the team all season, that we do not have the best overall talent in the country, politics or not we should 3-peat. Go Mountaineers!!!!