PDA

View Full Version : WOFFORD GETS SOCON AUTO-BID!

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 05:45 PM
for getting the SoCon auto bid.

Looks like you'll be sharing the crown with us though. Good season for you guys. Ya'll deserved it

drpnut
November 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Early in the week when so many people were down on Woffy, I told folks that we would destroy Chatty, that Elcid would take Elon and that Furman would take GaSouth. Guess what it happened. Wofford wins the auto and App will get in.

I hope we bid enough to get a home game.

Does SoCon only get 2 in now?

TheValleyRaider
November 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Nice job Terriers

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
CONGRATS WOFFORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

appstate38
November 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Early in the week when so many people were down on Woffy, I told folks that we would destroy Chatty, that Elcid would take Elon and that Furman would take GaSouth. Guess what it happened. Wofford wins the auto and App will get in.

Probably so, barring a GSU win next week. Congrats Terriers, you guys earned it, in the wackiest SoCon race that I have every seen.

AppMountaineer13

First off let me say congrats Wofford -- you guys certainly earned it this year, and I'd have hated to see you guys get woofed, however unlikely it may have been.

SoCon will only get 2 if GSU loses to FBS Colorado State next week, as they have only 6 D-I wins

furman94
I'll be pullin for ya terriers! Win it all baby!

drpnut
November 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Hey 38

I hope we can bid enough to get a home game. And I sure hope we don't have to play you guys again.

walliver
November 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Georgia Southern will have to beat Colorado State to become eligible. If they do that, and it is quite possible, then they would be on the bubble; but, with the lack of at-large worthy/eligible teams in the south and GSU's name recognition, I would suspect they would get in.

drpnut
November 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Hey folks... Do you think Wofford can bid enough to get a home game?

BestOfBreed
November 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM

They said on the radio show that Wofford had a competitive bid so maybe.

gatadotcom
November 10th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Bids were due in to the NCAA a couple of weeks ago. All teams that had a chance of making the playoffs were solicited for bids for each of the first three rounds.

NOW is too late to bump up a bid.

UMass922
November 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM
My guess would be that GSU is probably in if they beat Colorado State.

Congrats to Wofford.

AppMountaineer13
November 10th, 2007, 06:09 PM

I think a lot has to do with the bubble teams that have the stadium capacity to outbid you.. If the likes of UNH/JMU/GSU et al get bids I think it becomes exponentially harder for Wofford to get a home game. Although I could be totally wrong here, you need some help from some bubble teams

BlueHen86
November 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Congrats Wofford!xbowx

mistersykes
November 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM
You're not getting Woffed this year! Congrats to the Terriers!

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I think with Delaware losing...if App wins they may get an seed if not a home game will happen. Least that's what I've heard

Wofford definately deserves a home game.

ErksEagles
November 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
We should have a bid, i even put 500 dollars of my own money to Southern Boosters and I told em it was for the PLAYOFFS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
A summary of the SoCon race this year...

September 1st Appy beats Michigan!!! Holy Cow!! Who in the SoCon will be able to stop them!?!?!?

September 22nd...wait....wait...WOFFORD BEATS ASU....Wofford has the lead and I don't think anyone is going to stop them!!

October 20th...Holy COW folks!! Elon has beaten Wofford and GSU has beaten App. State. It looks like Elon is going to win their first SoCon title!!

November 10th...What's this?? Elon has fallen to The Citadel and Furman has beat GSU in Statesboro for the second time ever!! Wofford takes the SoCon title!!! WOW what a race!!

Congrats, guys

xbowx xbowx xbowx
xoopsx xbangx xbangx xoopsx xbawlingx

T-Dogg
November 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
That is why so many think the SoCon is stacked. Most would not argue with several teams from the Socon in the playoffs!

This is the best top to bottom SoCon I have seen since we (Wofford) joined the party. I love Socon football!!

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Wofford takes the SoCon title!!!

xnonox xnonox Not so fast palxnonox xnonox

If ASU wins against UTC next week the SoCon will have CoChamps. Woof will get the AQ but thats it, it will be a tie for first.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
congrats wofford and the conference is great from top to utc i wouldnt include western... all though they did put up a lot of points on us today

T-Dogg
November 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
xnonox xnonox Not so fast palxnonox xnonox

If ASU wins against UTC next week the SoCon will have CoChamps. Woof will get the AQ but thats it, it will be a tie for first.

No Question.xthumbsupx

Zoo
November 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Congrats Wofford on a great season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
With Elon and New Hampshire out of the picture now (UNH can get 7 DI wins, but getting in at 7-4 is a strech), GSU will be in if they beat Colorado State. It should be easier than a lot of our conference games from this year.

GATA in COLORADO, EAGLES

ab4app
November 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
way to go wofford, yall deserve it, great season so far

walliver
November 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM
congrats wofford and the conference is great from top to utc i wouldnt include western... all though they did put up a lot of points on us today

Samford needs to start practicing very very hard.xnodx

skinny_uncle
November 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Congrats to Wofford.
xthumbsupx

HiHiYikas
November 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Congrats Terriers!

Seven Would Be Nice
November 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM

If they do will anyone show up?

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM
If they do will anyone show up?
they did in 2003.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I want to know what inside track Coulson had to pick Furman, Wofford, and El Cid to win todayxrotatehx

T-Dogg
November 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
If they play it, they will come............trust me!

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
If they do will anyone show up?Not in Statesboro for sure. xrolleyesx smack ----------------->

FCSFAN
November 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
ankle-biters ;) get second AQ in last five years, same as App St.

ErksEagles
November 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
If they get a home game they will get less than 12k fans and after Thanksgiving even less. Who all is going to Fort Collins, CO with me?

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I really wonder what Boone is going to be like if we host a home game that weekend.

BestOfBreed
November 10th, 2007, 08:44 PM
If they get a home game they will get less than 12k fans and after Thanksgiving even less. Who all is going to Fort Collins, CO with me?

That's a lot more than App State or Georgia Southern usually has in the 1st round xnodx

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Coastal Carolina (9-3) vs. Appalachian State (11-1)
Date: 11/25/2006
Attendance: 16223

Last year's first round game

Lafayette (8-4) vs. Appalachian State (9-3)
Date: 11/26/2005
Attendance: 6327

So, actually I would say it would be around 16-17k at KBS

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Coastal Carolina (9-3) vs. Appalachian State (11-1)
Date: 11/25/2006
Attendance: 16223

Last year's first round game

Lafayette (8-4) vs. Appalachian State (9-3)
Date: 11/26/2005
Attendance: 6327

So, actually I would say it would be around 16-17k at KBS

dig further back...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I want to know what inside track Coulson had to pick Furman, Wofford, and El Cid to win todayxrotatehx

You don't mean me, do you? xrotatehx

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=982

Furman over No. 11 Georgia Southern
Proud Paladins 44, Edged Eagles 38

No. 15 Wofford over Chattanooga
Road Terriers 34, Mocked Mocs 14

The Citadel over No. 19 Elon
Higgins’ Troops 35, “Which Lawson Beat Us?” 21

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
You don't mean me, do you? xrotatehx

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=982

Furman over No. 11 Georgia Southern
Proud Paladins 44, Edged Eagles 38

No. 15 Wofford over Chattanooga
Road Terriers 34, Mocked Mocs 14

The Citadel over No. 19 Elon
Higgins’ Troops 35, “Which Lawson Beat Us?” 21
pardon my error, great one (this week;) )

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 09:06 PM
ankle-biters ;) get second AQ in last five years, same as App St.

How pathetically small of you.xthumbsupx What about this decade? what about the last ten years? twenty years. meh KMAxcoffeex

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
How pathetically small of you.xthumbsupx What about this decade? what about the last ten years? twenty years. meh KMAxcoffeex
Please pardon my ignorance, but how many SoCon titles did ASU win in their first 10 years in the SoCon?

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Regardless, it is nice to get the auto-bid and not have to worry about the bubble.
whew!

james_lawfirm
November 10th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Congrats to Wofford in getting the AQ! Good luck in the playoffs. I hope we meet again late in December.

BigApp
November 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
how many SoCon titles did ASU win in their first 10 years in the SoCon?

well Joe, tbh that answer is Zero (though we did finish second in 1974). I-AA didn't exist back then, and college football was a totally different animal in 1971.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 10th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Congrats to Wofford..........crazy week in the So Conf......

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Please pardon my ignorance, but how many SoCon titles did ASU win in their first 10 years in the SoCon?

That's not the point Joe the point is a certain fcs fans constant ralphism (anti ASU)threads and posts throughout this season.

He could have just said that it was Woffords second AQ in five yearsxthumbsupx , and left off the "same as ASU" cheapshot smack comment.xcoffeex This poster likes to tell everyone else to put comments like that in the smack section but to him they obviously do not apply.xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I just call em as I see em joe.;)

terrierbob
November 10th, 2007, 10:16 PM

Manners, now. Let's play nice. Sorry you lost and everything. Hey- you beat us!

AppChicago
November 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM
dig further back...

Um. Why? Lackluster attendance years ago has no impact on attendance at a possible game this year. We've been posting record crowds for home games all year. Why would that change?

Eyes of Old Main
November 11th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Great day to be a Terrier, but I'll be surprised if there is any playoff football in Gibbs. I hope GSU can beat Colorado State and get in too.

dungeonjoe
November 11th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Um. Why? Lackluster attendance years ago has no impact on attendance at a possible game this year. We've been posting record crowds for home games all year. Why would that change?
The point is before the bandwagon effect, it wasn't so great.

HiHiYikas
November 11th, 2007, 08:08 AM
The point is before the bandwagon effect, it wasn't so great.
You can look back as long as ASU has been making the playoffs and find that, with the exception of games at Montana and Boise State, ASU's home playoff games have been a larger draw than ASU's road playoff games.

Before ASU's recent success, the Mountaineers weren't the biggest playoff draw in the FCS. But when you consider ASU was playing in front of 2700 to 5500 on the road, or 4500 to 9000 at home, I'd say they did OK.

AppGirl
November 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Congrats Wofford!

lizrdgizrd
November 12th, 2007, 08:57 AM
WTG Wofford! Congrats on the AQ and a share of the SoCon title! xthumbsupx

GoldandBlack
November 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I really don't much care how the seeding goes or who plays where- I'm ready to enjoy some football during our bye week,
and then extend the season.

Congratulations to App State, Georgia Southern, Elon, The Citadel and Furman on one hell of a season in the SoConxbowx ,
and good luck to WCU and UTC in getting their programs back on track ASAP-xprost2x

Bulldog87
November 12th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Congrats Terriers. I hope that you guys get a home game. You have a nice stadium and a great atomsphere. I had a great time up there last year until we blew the game. Good luck and represent SC well.

Eyes of Old Main
November 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Congratulations to App State, Georgia Southern, Elon, The Citadel and Furman on one hell of a season in the SoConxbowx ,
and good luck to WCU and UTC in getting their programs back on track ASAP-xprost2x

I agree. Regardless of who ended up on top, this has been a great SoCon race because of all the momentum changes and crazy results. Every team had some bright spots (even if Western's were close calls against Elon, Wofford and The Citadel). Hopefully next season will be even better and everyone will get to enjoy watching Wofford's 2007 National Championship banner waving in the breeze high above Gibbs Stadium.

Grizaholic17
November 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
congrats to the terriers

ElonPride
November 12th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I agree. Regardless of who ended up on top, this has been a great SoCon race because of all the momentum changes and crazy results. Every team had some bright spots (even if Western's were close calls against Elon, Wofford and The Citadel). Hopefully next season will be even better and everyone will get to enjoy watching Wofford's 2007 National Championship banner waving in the breeze high above Gibbs Stadium.

HELLUVA season and a lot of fun!

Congrats to Wofford!!!!

Also, when was the last time Elon could say they beat the SoCon champ....was it Furman in '99?xsmiley_wix

I'm really looking forward to next season. It should be another tight race.....best conference in the FCS, hands downxbowx

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM

Hey, we only have 1,200 students, so 12K is pretty damned good considering that. What are a small private school, not South freaking Carolina here. I would be there, and I'm so important I count for 10,000 anyway.:D But seriously, Wofford can't hope to outdraw monster schools like GSU and ASU, schools that will probably be FBS in the next 5-10 years. But we are still in the top 50% in the FCS in attendance, and considering our enrollment and alumni numbers, that's impressive! And besides, our little team has worked so hard and accomplished so much, they really DESERVE a home game. I hope they get the home game, and are not treated unfairly and sent to Montana or something.