PDA

View Full Version : Maine's Cosgrove Will be Back

mainejeff
November 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM
UMaine's President says he will receive a 4 or 5 year contract extension. The guy is 10 games under .500 over 15 seasons.......this should pretty much be the death knell for the program :( ........

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=146754&ac=PHspt

Also, an interesting quote from the President regarding the CAA......"While we're delighted to be in the CAA," Kennedy said, "it also presents the challenge of competing with schools that have more resources." Sounds to me like he is laying the groundwork for a downgrade or something. xconfusedx

Anyway......dark times for football in Orono. Hope that UNH has fun being the new "Northern Outpost" of the CAA. xthumbsupx

tribe_pride
November 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM
UMaine's President says he will receive a 4 or 5 year contract extension. The guy is 10 games under .500 over 15 seasons.......this should pretty much be the death knell for the program :( ........

Also, an interesting quote from the President regarding the CAA......"While we're delighted to be in the CAA," Kennedy said, "it also presents the challenge of competing with schools that have more resources." Sounds to me like he is laying the groundwork for a downgrade or something. xconfusedx

Anyway......dark times for football in Orono. Hope that UNH has fun being the new "Northern Outpost" of the CAA. xthumbsupx

Congrats. I guess xrolleyesx

Ram Ball
November 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
If the same happens with Stowers at URI, I will be livid..

igo4uni
November 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Why would they reward him with a new contract???

If the AD is willing to do this, it shows a real lack of common sense, IMO.

Unacceptable.

Cobblestone
November 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM
If the same happens with Stowers at URI, I will be livid..

Compared to Stowers, Cosgrove looks like Vince Lombardi.

Franks Tanks
November 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Why cant Maine muster the same resources as UNH for the program? Arent they institutions of similar size and mission--i.e the primary state university of each respective state. I dont see how Maine has a resource disadvantage unless they chose to not allocate the needed resources--whats the deal?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 11th, 2007, 09:59 PM
If anything Maine has more resources than UNH.

Sam Adams
November 12th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Cosgrove sucks. He should be canned. I don't understand what the hell the AD is thinking in Orono.

Dane96
November 12th, 2007, 05:58 AM
The Maine AD hasn't been awake since Nero left.

blukeys
November 12th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Cosgrove can recruit. I will give him that. For years now IMHO, Maine has been the most perplexing team In the CAA. Their overall talent level is as good or better than the rest of the league but at times their play is just boneheaded. I'm with MJ and most of the others on here. It was time for a look in a new direction.

henfan
November 12th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Also, an interesting quote from the President regarding the CAA......"While we're delighted to be in the CAA," Kennedy said, "it also presents the challenge of competing with schools that have more resources."

Funny, UNH doesn't seem to have a problem competiting with less resources.

UMaine has been crying poor for years. They led the failed charge with BU & URI in Fall 1997 to get schollies reduced in the A-10. This is nothing new.

IMO, UMaine's issues are less financial and more gameday coaching. Not that the Cos isn't capable of great things sometimes.... But UMaine has been a cradle of coaching for quite a long time and it's clear that Cos just isn't going to be one of those guys destined for greater things. I just don't understand why UM didn't make a change now.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I don't like that quote from Kennedy at all...I agree Jeff (oh god I can't believe i typed that:D ) it does look like the he's asking fans to except mediocrity. Then what? Do you become Indiana St or BU?xnonono2x

UNH needs a strong program in Maine....as well as NU and URI...

PapaBear
November 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Everyone calm down, please. Maine will be fine.

They're a young team with two young QBs, an equally young Receiving corps and a new OC who's growing into the job. Even with that, they were just a few plays away from being 7-3 at this point, instead of 4-6 (missed FG vs Villanova at the end of regulation, OT loss to Stony Brook on an INT, 1-point loss to W&M).

I'm certainly not running for President of the Jack Cosgrove or Blake James Fan Clubs (I believe MJ beat me to it). But let's remember that, just a few years ago, the Black Bears won back-to-back A10 championships with, I dare say, the same resources and head coach that they have now.

A team's fortunes can plummet or skyrocket with the emergence of just one or two playmakers, in a league as competitive as the CAA. For the past two years, UD fans have been calling for Keeler's head. Now, with Cuff healthy and Flacco playing well, they're a contender, and much of the whining has subsided. UNH was a perennial contender with Santos and Ball; not so much this year without Ball, and probably even less next year without Santos.

Maine will never have the physical resources of a UD or UR or JMU. The fan base is much smaller to begin with, and it competes with hockey on a scale that few other CAA teams can relate to.

Besides, it's not like the players are living in squalor. They have a very attactive locker room. They fly charters (when they fly). Sure, they occasionally joke about their Spartan budget. But the campus and team togetherness keep them in Orono and attract solid recruits every year.

The criticisms of our coaches and AD aren't without merit, by any means. But the "woe-is-us" attitude of our fans sure is.

GannonFan
November 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Cosgrove made the same statements earlier in the year that the President is now quoted saying as well. I'd be worried if I was a Maine fan - laying the groundwork for why they can't compete in a current conference isn't something that is warm and fuzzy. I don't think Maine's dropping football, but scaling back wouldn't be out of the question. If AEast football ever happens I think it's clear that Maine is a charter member.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
If anything Maine has more resources than UNH.

That is a 100% true statement. Maine's biggest liability (& it is seriously BIG!)is being located close to 4 hours north of UNH. No easy bus rides for the Black Bears. If you look at overall physical talent (with the exception of Santos, Ball, ...), Maine is in the driver's seat over UNH. UNH hasn't see a Darren Stone-like player since Steve Doig way back in the early 1980's....

Maine has plenty of players -- including defensive linemen -- that the Wildcats would love to have. Don't confuse "better resources" with a once-in-a-lifetime combo called "Santos to Ball".

Heck, look at Maine's commitment in terms of stadium and indoor facilities. NO Comparison whatsoever, ....