PDA

View Full Version : Highest Rated Eligible I-AA GPI 01'-06' TO Not Get An At Large Bid

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Just to prove I have too much time on my hands I went to I-AA.org and looked at all the final season GPIs as far back as they are listed for the last week of the season (had 00' but not one for the last week, so was 01'-05'. 06' was on CSN) and compared them to the playoff brackets (1978-05' are on I-AA.org). The highest ranked eligible team each year to not get a bid:

01'- #4 Villanova. (8-2) Everyone else in the top 17 (outside 2 Ivies) got a bid. Nova only had 10 games (as did a lot of other teams due to to 9-11, but Nova had a loss to a D-II (& no I-A on schedule) . How they got to be ranked #4 in the GPI is a mystery to me.

02'- #12 Wofford got left out for #16 Northwestern St. GPI was correct on all other teams.

03'- #13 Idaho State (was 8-4)

04'- #12 Cal Poly. (#14 Villanova at 6-5 was ineligible). Everyone else eligible in the top 18 got in.

05'-#12 YSU

06'- #10 Portland State (were 7-4)

I think 01' you can throw out since some teams had 10 and some had 11 games. 02'-06' the GPI has been pretty much on. History points to everyone in the top 10-11 who is eligible getting in & #12 being about/around the cutoff. 05' YSU was the worst shafting. #41 8-3 Lafayeet getting at at large over #12 8-3 YSU. Don't think anything else was remotely close. But YSU 05' had a Div II and no I-A on the schedule., so only 7 Div 1 wins. xcoffeex

Hansel
November 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Poly was eligible in 04

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Poly was eligible in 04

But played both SDSU, and NDSU in their first transitional year (weren't D-I counters)

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 10:04 PM
wasn't 2001 the year there were quad champs in the A-10 and they only took three?

Villanova, the very first WOOFED squad! They also started the tradition that a year's WOOFED squad makes the playoffs the next year.

2001 Villanova
2002 Wofford
2003 Lehigh
2004 Cal Poly
2005 Youngstown State
2006 no WOOFED team?

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Poly was eligible in 04

Corrected it.

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
wasn't 2001 the year there were quad champs in the A-10 and they only took three?

Villanova, the very first WOOFED squad! They also started the tradition that a year's WOOFED squad makes the playoffs the next year.

2001 Villanova
2002 Wofford
2003 Lehigh
2004 Cal Poly
2005 Youngstown State
2006 no WOOFED team?

UNI was probably the "Woofed" team in '06 with a tied for 2nd (3-way) Gateway finish and at least 7 D-I wins.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM
UNI was probably the "Woofed" team in '06 with a tied for 2nd (3-way) Gateway finish and at least 7 D-I wins.Yeah I guess I always look at it as if you have four losses (over a third of your schedule usually) you can't be woofed.

USDFAN_55
November 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Just to prove I have too much time on my hands I went to I-AA.org and looked at all the final season GPIs as far back as they are listed for the last week of the season (had 00' but not one for the last week, so was 01'-05'. 06' was on CSN) and compared them to the playoff brackets (1978-05' are on I-AA.org). The highest ranked eligible team each year to not get a bid:

01'- #4 Villanova. (8-2) Everyone else in the top 17 (outside 2 Ivies) got a bid. Nova only had 10 games (as did a lot of other teams due to to 9-11, but Nova had a loss to a D-II (& no I-A on schedule) . How they got to be ranked #4 in the GPI is a mystery to me.

02'- #12 Wofford got left out for #16 Northwestern St. GPI was correct on all other teams.

03'- #13 Idaho State (was 8-4)

04'- #12 Cal Poly. (#14 Villanova at 6-5 was ineligible). Everyone else eligible in the top 18 got in.

05'-#12 YSU

06'- #10 Portland State (were 7-4)

I think 01' you can throw out since some teams had 10 and some had 11 games. 02'-06' the GPI has been pretty much on. History points to everyone in the top 10-11 who is eligible getting in & #12 being about/around the cutoff. 05' YSU was the worst shafting. #41 8-3 Lafayeet getting at at large over #12 8-3 YSU. Don't think anything else was remotely close. But YSU 05' had a Div II and no I-A on the schedule., so only 7 Div 1 wins. xcoffeex

If I remeber correctly in 2006 Portland State didn't have the 7 D-I wins needed to be eligible, which would mean the highest eligible team in 2006 was everybody's favorite team, San Diego at #13xnodx

BDKJMU
November 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Looks like PSU had the 7 Div 1 wins to me. Where is there a Div II on there:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/conf/bigsky/confsched.aspx?season=2005,sc=AF,conf=Big%20Sky

For the final regular season GPI San Diego had only played 10 games, everyone else with the exception of the Ivies had played 11. When San Diego finally played somebody other than the little sisters of the poor and the school of the deaf & blind (UC Davis) they lost & ended up 11-1, in a 3 way tie for 16th in the final (post playoff) GPI. So, no san Diego didn't get "woofed".

USDFAN_55
November 10th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Looks like PSU had the 7 Div 1 wins to me. Where is there a Div II on there:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/conf/bigsky/confsched.aspx?season=2005,sc=AF,conf=Big%20Sky

For the final regular season GPI San Diego had only played 10 games, everyone else with the exception of the Ivies had played 11. When San Diego finally played somebody other than the little sisters of the poor and the school of the deaf & blind (UC Davis) they lost & ended up 11-1, in a 3 way tie for 16th in the final (post playoff) GPI. So, no san Diego didn't get "woofed".

Well I gues if San Diego gave scholarships some would overlook the SOS such as most have done for Montanaxnodx

Syntax Error
November 10th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Well I gues if San Diego gave scholarships some would overlook the SOS such as most have done for MontanaxnodxSorry.

Massey SOS:
Montana 76
San Diego 110

Poly Pigskin
November 10th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Well I gues if San Diego gave scholarships some would overlook the SOS such as most have done for Montanaxnodx

I don't think anyone can make the case that the PFL is stronger than the BSC. You got beat by an average UCD team last year, and you would have been pasted by anyone in the playoffs, sorry. Beat some good OOC competition, then maybe we can talk.

For the record, I don't think anyone got Woofed last season. Sure, a couple of teams had a decent argument, but there was no obvious team that got left out. I think a few might be left out this year, just because there are so many good teams in the CAA and SoCon.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I don't think anyone can make the case that the PFL is stronger than the BSC. You got beat by an average UCD team last year, and you would have been pasted by anyone in the playoffs, sorry. Beat some good OOC competition, then maybe we can talk.

For the record, I don't think anyone got Woofed last season. Sure, a couple of teams had a decent argument, but there was no obvious team that got left out. I think a few might be left out this year, just because there are so many good teams in the CAA and SoCon.

there are so many in the caa and socon and the committee will try to spread the bids out... even if the most deserving teams are in those two conferences

89Hen
November 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM

IIRC Nova lost to a DII that year.