PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a bullseye

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I have been reading all year about how the Griz are over rated, blah blah blah. I just wanted to show you 2 recent quotes for opponents that can help explain why the games are coming out like they are, close but no cigar yet.

From an ISU player:
The Bengals host the No. 3 and unbeaten Grizzlies Saturday at 3:05 p.m. inside Holt Arena and the pride factor is definitely propping up the home team. Senior linebacker Sterling Mennear said he had a conversation about that with one of his fellow seniors.
“You don't want to completely go off with this thought, but he said, ‘You may not have a great season, but if you beat Montana, you're on top of the world,' ” Mennear said. “They're a great team, they always have been. As a senior, you know, it is one last hurrah. One last opportunity.”

From PSU's coach:
“I think they're way past special - the fans, the coaches, the players,” Glanville said. “Everything they do, they've got it going.
“Why would you circle anybody but them? Why wouldn't you want to beat them over everybody else? We've been practicing for them since the spring. To be honest with you, we dedicated two days every week.”

I don't know if you can find another example of a bigger bullseye than that, a former NFL coach spending 2 days a week on practice for one game.

I am anxiously awaiting the last couple of games and hope the Griz can win out. They have been a huge target for a while now and I think they deserve a lot of credit for running the table thus far.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM
It won't let me edit my post, wanted to add one little interesting tidbit to it as well. The Griz have 48 Montanans which is nearly 1/2 of their roster. It really is a state thing and I miss the games in Missoula. Watched TCU and BYU play last night, it was fun and I watch the games down here because I love football, but I can't wait to watch a Griz game in Missoula again, win or loose :)

The Moody1
November 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Think of it this way. It doesn't matter how big of a target you have on your back when all of your opponents are blind. :D

ncbears
November 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I think we need to make a sticky titled "The Montana Grizzlies are THE greatest football program of all Time" I think that would make a lot of griz fans happy. Gessh guy, if you want people to come on here and add praise for your team just ask for it. I wish for one day some griz fans would stop acting like they're freaking Notre Dame or Southern Cal. You're NOT! You have a fine football program and I truly believe most of your fans are good sports but there are a few of you who really think your the greatest football program of all time. Get over yourselves!

The BSC is down this year and your ooc schedule is somewhat weak. We'll see if your for real in the playoffs.

In the meantime I'll encourage everyone on AGS to bow down to the mighty freaking grizzlies! America's greatest football program!

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Grizalltheway
November 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I think we need to make a sticky titled "The Montana Grizzlies are THE greatest football program of all Time" I think that would make a lot of griz fans happy. Gessh guy, if you want people to come on here and add praise for your team just ask for it. I wish for one day some griz fans would stop acting like they're freaking Notre Dame or Southern Cal. You're NOT! You have a fine football program and I truly believe most of your fans are good sports but there are a few of you who really think your the greatest football program of all time. Get over yourselves!

The BSC is down this year and your ooc schedule is somewhat weak. We'll see if your for real in the playoffs.

In the meantime I'll encourage everyone on AGS to bow down to the mighty freaking grizzlies! America's greatest football program!

It'll be a loooooooooong time before the Griz go 1-8 (assuming we stay FCS). xnodx

griz8791
November 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Obviously this guy doesn't read this board every day and therefore doesn't have a real good sense of which issues have already been pounded flat.

grizbeer
November 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Jeez, by saying the Griz are good despite close games it is a compliment to the rest of the conference. Maybe Griz fans should just say we are mediocre, but the rest of the conference really sucks - would that make you feel better (hint - The Moody 1 is talking about your team).

BTW, not way Griz fans think UM is USC or Notre Dame - those losing seasons and only 2 NC appearances and 6 conference championships in the last 13 years would no way be acceptable to Griz fans - we expect much better than that.

griz8791
November 9th, 2007, 02:56 PM
xbangx

Ronbo
November 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I wouldn't expect anyone from a respectable program to bow down. I consider SIU, Delaware, GSU, App. State., UNI, and others equals.

But if you are from a school that is the bottom feeder of your Conference, averages 4000 fans in a HS stadium, goes 1-10 every year in Football and goes 4-24 in Basketball in front of an average 700 fans then YES!

Bow down! You suck!

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't expect anyone from a respectable program to bow down. I consider SIU, Delaware, GSU, App. State., UNI, and others equals.

But if you are from a school that is the bottom feeder of your Conference, averages 4000 fans in a HS stadium, goes 1-10 every year in Football and goes 4-24 in Basketball in front of an average 700 fans then YES!

Bow down! You suck!

Ronblow,

Calm down. Winning takes time, and in the bobcats frame of mind it takes a lot of time, but UNC will be a good football team in years to come. They have a good host of players and if they can keep their mistakes to a minimum (sp) they will be right up there with the PSU's and MSU's of the Big Fluffy Sky.

putter
November 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Personally I think this is what is wrong with the Big Sky. If the other programs concentrated on playing every game like it was Montana then I think the Big Sky's overall record would be much better. Teams like PSU, NAU have the talent to make the playoffs every year but if you are dumb enough to concentrate 2 of your practices every week on one team you deserve to only have 2-3 wins a year. xconfusedx

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Personally I think this is what is wrong with the Big Sky. If the other programs concentrated on playing every game like it was Montana then I think the Big Sky's overall record would be much better. Teams like PSU, NAU have the talent to make the playoffs every year but if you are dumb enough to concentrate 2 of your practices every week on one team you deserve to only have 2-3 wins a year. xconfusedx

xnodx xnodx xnodx

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Very true.

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
That might be true, but more importantly, every other BSC school has much more serious in-state competition from other D-I schools for both athletes and fans.

ncbears
November 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Bow down! You suck!

Hey Ronblow you're probably one of the most arrogant, stupid fans on this site, so I won't lose any sleep because of what you say. You take a poll on AGS on who's the worse, most arrogant fan and you would by far lead the poll.

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Ronblow you're probably one of the most arrogant, stupid fans on this site, so I won't lose any sleep because of what you say. You take a poll on AGS on who's the worse, most arrogant fan and you would by far lead the poll.

Oh, don't sell yourself short, judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

I'm thinkin Ronbo would come in a distant third (at the very least) to the likes of MplsBison and DaveK. But that's just me thinkin' outloud.

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Bow down! You suck!

Aren't you an advocate of the Griz moving up? If so, and the Griz ever do make the mistake of moving up, get ready for comments like yours coming from other WAC fans. Karma is a bitch. xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Oh, don't sell yourself short, judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

I'm thinkin Ronbo would come in a distant third (at the very least) to the likes of MplsBison and DaveK. But that's just me thinkin' outloud.

I was trying to think of someone that was less than stellar and couldn't think of the name. But DaveK is a good number 1 in my book. Or should I say number 2.

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I was trying to think of someone that was less than stellar and couldn't think of the name. But DaveK is a good number 1 in my book. Or should I say number 2.

I'd also put OldMontanaStateGrad up there, although at least his incoherent ramblings are entertaining.... xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'd also put OldMontanaStateGrad up there, although at least his incoherent ramblings are entertaining.... xlolx xlolx xlolx

I have been thinking about that one for a while now and I, for the life of me, cannot understand how someone could be an old Montana state grad? Was it like a mail in contest or what?

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
That might be true, but more importantly, every other BSC school has much more serious in-state competition from other D-I schools for both athletes and fans.

Let's just kalm down there, big fella. Fully HALF of Montana's roster is made up of .......wait for it............MONTANANS. I don't think there's a steady stream of recruiters breakin' down doors to get to these kids. There is a kernel of validity to your point, but it only applies to PSU, and maybe ISU and EWU. NAU may have other D-I schools, but it's in a state of 6 million people....there ought to be enough talent to go around, no? And the same goes for Sac State (only 45 million people to chose from), and to a lesser degree UNC. Schools in states with major metropolitan areas have little/no excuse in my book. ISU---THEY'VE got an excuse.....very low population, and a fairly bigtime school to compete against for limited talent.

Same applies to the fanbase. Sac State has little/no competition for their fans' attention. Nor does NAU. Nor do most BSC schools. It's simply a matter of which came first---the fans, or the winning program. Build it, and they will come....guaranteed. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

putter
November 9th, 2007, 04:10 PM

What does that have to do with considering Montana your super bowl? Play every game like you needed a win to get in the playoffs and your team improves. EWU, without a letdown to PSU, would probably already be in the playoffs. This, with a young team!

ERASU2113
November 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
It'll be a loooooooooong time before the Griz go 1-8 (assuming we stay FCS). xnodx

I was told before the season started there's a 4-year hold on any program making any jump to another division. Then I think you have to go through a number of years which are either experimental or exploratory. Not sure how many years. But it could be a looooooooooong time to do all that.

It's been talked, and turned down around here.

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Let's just kalm down there, big fella. Fully HALF of Montana's roster is made up of .......wait for it............MONTANANS. I don't think there's a steady stream of recruiters breakin' down doors to get to these kids. There is a kernel of validity to your point, but it only applies to PSU, and maybe ISU and EWU. NAU may have other D-I schools, but it's in a state of 6 million people....there ought to be enough talent to go around, no? And the same goes for Sac State (only 45 million people to chose from), and to a lesser degree UNC. Schools in states with major metropolitan areas have little/no excuse in my book. ISU---THEY'VE got an excuse.....very low population, and a fairly bigtime school to compete against for limited talent.

Same applies to the fanbase. Sac State has little/no competition for their fans' attention. Nor does NAU. Nor do most BSC schools. It's simply a matter of which came first---the fans, or the winning program. Build it, and they will come....guaranteed. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Weber has BYU, USU, and UU. And MSU has...;) And every school in the nation recruits Cali. EWU is like Montana in that it typically has 75% homegrown athletes on its roster. So like you, we've got to be good at developing athletes that others pass over. The difference, might be that if a talented Montana kid has a choice between a Wyoming or Idaho and playing for the Griz, he'll strongly consider staying at home whereas EWU loses those type of kids to the cougs and huskies. We even lose our fans to the cougs and the huskies. I'm not hating, just pointing out another competitive advantage for the griz.

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
What does that have to do with considering Montana your super bowl? Play every game like you needed a win to get in the playoffs and your team improves. EWU, without a letdown to PSU, would probably already be in the playoffs. This, with a young team!

I already admitted that you might be correct, but there's other factors as well. Besides, I don't think the BSC a problem. We have an elite program representative of the evil empire, we've sent two teams to the playoffs every year since 1998, we have at-large BSC teams getting playoff wins and knocking off # seeds every couple years, and we have great rivalries. The only thing we're missing is a cinderella team and maybe someone other than Montana making the Championship game.

Perhaps you're tired of being a griz fan, come on over to the good side - we have a few open seats waiting for at Woodward. xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Perhaps you're tired of being a griz fan, come on over to the good side - we have a few open seats waiting for at Woodward. xthumbsupx

I'm not tired of being a Griz fan, I had a good time cheering for EWU when they played BYU. The biggest problem for you guys in that game was the early pick and wearing red. I think BYU's coach told them you where Utah in the second half and that is when things went wrong :)

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I already admitted that you might be correct, but there's other factors as well. Besides, I don't think the BSC a problem. We have an elite program representative of the evil empire, we've sent two teams to the playoffs every year since 1998, we have at-large BSC teams getting playoff wins and knocking off # seeds every couple years, and we have great rivalries. The only thing we're missing is a cinderella team and maybe someone other than Montana making the Championship game.

Are you really petitioning for a bandwagon fan? I can see MSU doing that but you guys? Come on, we all know you are better than that. Grow your fan base the right way.

grizbeer
November 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Weber has BYU, USU, and UU. And MSU has...;) And every school in the nation recruits Cali. EWU is like Montana in that it typically has 75% homegrown athletes on its roster. So like you, we've got to be good at developing athletes that others pass over. The difference, might be that if a talented Montana kid has a choice between a Wyoming or Idaho and playing for the Griz, he'll strongly consider staying at home whereas EWU loses those type of kids to the cougs and huskies. We even lose our fans to the cougs and the huskies. I'm not hating, just pointing out another competitive advantage for the griz.
EWU does a great job getting kids form the south Puget Sound Area - seems like 1.2 the roster comes from there. Montana has pulled a couple gems from there as well (Cory Proctor, Cody Balough, Drew Miller via BYU come to mind), but I wish Montana would hit that area harder. I'm surprised Kramer wasn't able to get more SPS kids, since he was the coach at Stadium in Tacoma for a while.

A little strange thing is Montana seems to get a lot of Spokane kids that EWU wanted, but probably due to being close enough yet far enough away, plus he stadium.

BTW the Pac-10 has taken quite a few Montana kids over the years. I know the Griz thought they had Matt Hustad signed before he changed his mind and went to Arizona State.

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM
EWU does a great job getting kids form the south Puget Sound Area - seems like 1.2 the roster comes from there. Montana has pulled a couple gems from there as well (Cory Proctor, Cody Balough, Drew Miller via BYU come to mind), but I wish Montana would hit that area harder. I'm surprised Kramer wasn't able to get more SPS kids, since he was the coach at Stadium in Tacoma for a while.

A little strange thing is Montana seems to get a lot of Spokane kids that EWU wanted, but probably due to being close enough yet far enough away, plus he stadium.

BTW the Pac-10 has taken quite a few Montana kids over the years. I know the Griz thought they had Matt Hustad signed before he changed his mind and went to Arizona State.

Not strange at all that they would pick Montana over EWU for all the reasons you listed.

I would love nothing more than for EWU to elevate it's facilities, reputation, and success and become a true rival of the Griz. Until that time and considering all the competitive disadvantages surrounding Eastern it's fun to be a little chippy and proud of our coaching staff and kids to be competitive most years.

Who knows, with this class of sophomores and a junior led defense, maybe a playoff birth this year could end up being a nice primer for a deep run the next two seasons.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Funny you should mention that kalm. When we went out of the playoffs early a few years back and you guys pulled the 1st round upset the Griz faithful showed up at Joe Albi in full force to help support our conference mates. We are closer to you than anyone else pretty much but what other team in the conference would send a 1000 or so fans your way to help with the atmosphere. That support from our fans cost each of us money to come over and support your team in the playoffs. No other of your conference brethren sent a butt load of support your way. I know that the evil empire moniker is one you are probably tossing around in jest and it's not taken personally but some of the stuff I have read from your student newspaper over there about the hatred for Montana is seriously misguided. To coin the old phrase "Don't hate us because we are beautiful."

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Are you implying that the cougs and huskies recruit the same level kids as the Cowboys and Vandals? That, my misguided friend, might explain the Huskies and Cougars' records over the past several years.... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Are you implying that the cougs and huskies recruit the same level kids as the Cowboys and Vandals? That, my misguided friend, might explain the Huskies and Cougars' records over the past several years.... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Touche. But I was strictly referring to kids who might grow up with an allegiance to an in-state school and are D-I caliber. In your case, with the strength of your program and facilities they might occassionaly decide to remain at the lower level. We don't have a shot at those kids. I'm actually being complimentary.

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Funny you should mention that kalm. When we went out of the playoffs early a few years back and you guys pulled the 1st round upset the Griz faithful showed up at Joe Albi in full force to help support our conference mates. We are closer to you than anyone else pretty much but what other team in the conference would send a 1000 or so fans your way to help with the atmosphere. That support from our fans cost each of us money to come over and support your team in the playoffs. No other of your conference brethren sent a butt load of support your way. I know that the evil empire moniker is one you are probably tossing around in jest and it's not taken personally but some of the stuff I have read from your student newspaper over there about the hatred for Montana is seriously misguided. To coin the old phrase "Don't hate us because we are beautiful."

I remember that well, of course being the year we made it to the semi's. And you're right there were more than a few Griz faithful there - which was fantastic. But no need to get your bear breasts in a ringer over what's printed in a student newspaper. That's cocky student talk - I'm sure you have yours too. Most Eastern fans, including myself, have much respect for the Griz.

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Touche. But I was strictly referring to kids who might grow up with an allegiance to an in-state school and are D-I caliber. In your case, with the strength of your program and facilities they might occassionaly decide to remain at the lower level. We don't have a shot at those kids. I'm actually being complimentary.

I know, but it was sittin' there, waiting to be said! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

As I stated differently somewhat earlier, you have to build the tradition before you build the fanbase. Get some rich EWU grad to donate money to upgrade/bulldoze the stadium, get a nice state of the art stadium, get a coach who can sell the program to the I-A marginal players, and viola! You have a Griz clone!!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I remember that well, of course being the year we made it to the semi's. And you're right there were more than a few Griz faithful there - which was fantastic. But no need to get your bear breasts in a ringer over what's printed in a student newspaper. That's cocky student talk - I'm sure you have yours too. Most Eastern fans, including myself, have much respect for the Griz.

YOU STOP THINKING ABOUT MY BEAR BREASTS.

kalm
November 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
YOU STOP THINKING ABOUT MY BEAR BREASTS.

I said "bear" breasts, not "bare" breasts. But if you'd like, I'll throw you some beads. xthumbsupx

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Man, I get embarrassed by all of the "Griz are Great" stuff. At least this guy is a noob, so he probably didn't know how much of that stuff shows up here.

xreadx xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I said "bear" breasts, not "bare" breasts. But if you'd like, I'll throw you some beads. xthumbsupx

yeah I got that from your post and I replied likewise. As far as the beads go though you ain't seeing crap till I see some beads!

JohnStOnge
November 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again. I think that Glanville thing about spending two days a week all season preparing for Montana is Glanville BS. Except for when they have an open date, a coaching staff has about five days, on average, to prepare its team for the next game. They're not going to spend two of those five days every week preparing for one opponent that they're going to face down the line. It's just not going to happen.

It's just Glanville being Glanville. It's coachspeak to the extreme.

I don't doubt that all of the Big Sky teams get up to play Montana because Montana's dominated that league. But please.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again. I think that Glanville thing about spending two days a week all season preparing for Montana is Glanville BS. Except for when they have an open date, a coaching staff has about five days, on average, to prepare its team for the next game. They're not going to spend two of those five days every week preparing for one opponent that they're going to face down the line. It's just not going to happen.

It's just Glanville being Glanville. It's coachspeak to the extreme.

I don't doubt that all of the Big Sky teams get up to play Montana because Montana's dominated that league. But please.

He says he did. You say he didn't. I don't know who to trust anymore. maybe there is a member from the PSU ranks that has a friend on the team or something that can shed a little light on this debate. I think spending anymore than 35% of your season prepping for the Griz is ridiculous so you may be on to something here JSO. I am glad that you know the Griz are the greatest thing ever though.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
As I stated differently somewhat earlier, you have to build the tradition before you build the fanbase. Get some rich EWU grad to donate money to upgrade/bulldoze the stadium, get a nice state of the art stadium, get a coach who can sell the program to the I-A marginal players, and viola! You have a Griz clone!!! xnodx xnodx xnodxOh how we could only wish that were true, it would be wonderful. But alas, there will never be another program that could ever come close to what is the mighty Grizzlies of the University of Montana. The untouchable greatness is often imitated, but never duplicated.

FCS Go!
November 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Oh how we could only wish that were true, it would be wonderful. But alas, there will never be another program that could ever come close to what is the mighty Grizzlies of the University of Montana. The untouchable greatness is often imitated, but never duplicated.

I think you're getting your threads mixed up Syntax.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32511

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I think you're getting your threads mixed up Syntax.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32511See, if I were a Montana Grizzly that would not have happened. I'm so ashamed. Please forgive me. I am now going to sing UP WITH MONTANA ten times and take a bath in maroon food coloring...

JALMOND
November 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
He says he did. You say he didn't. I don't know who to trust anymore. maybe there is a member from the PSU ranks that has a friend on the team or something that can shed a little light on this debate. I think spending anymore than 35% of your season prepping for the Griz is ridiculous so you may be on to something here JSO. I am glad that you know the Griz are the greatest thing ever though.

One thing I've seen from Glanville this year is that he will say anything and do anything to keep people talking about Portland State football (which having been in Portland for 11 years now, I have to say is a good thing in this Duck-loving town). Glanville has been coaching for more years than I've been alive, but I think I can spot a slight bit of exageration. He's been saying a lot of things that make PSU seem like a weak team and our opponents world beaters. For him to say that shows me just how much regard he has for the Grizzly program (that you MIGHT need two practices a week to beat them). I highly doubt we spent two practices a week for the season on the Griz, no matter what Glanville said. You have to admit, it was a good quote. Got everyone in the media and the posters here talking about it, even almost a week after the game.

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Oh how we could only wish that were true, it would be wonderful. But alas, there will never be another program that could ever come close to what is the mighty Grizzlies of the University of Montana. The untouchable greatness is often imitated, but never duplicated.

wrong thread, pal. The "The Grizzlies are the Greatest Football Team Ever" thread is over there =========> xsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
November 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
One thing I've seen from Glanville this year is that he will say anything and do anything to keep people talking about Portland State football (which having been in Portland for 11 years now, I have to say is a good thing in this Duck-loving town). Glanville has been coaching for more years than I've been alive, but I think I can spot a slight bit of exageration. He's been saying a lot of things that make PSU seem like a weak team and our opponents world beaters. For him to say that shows me just how much regard he has for the Grizzly program (that you MIGHT need two practices a week to beat them). I highly doubt we spent two practices a week for the season on the Griz, no matter what Glanville said. You have to admit, it was a good quote. Got everyone in the media and the posters here talking about it, even almost a week after the game.

So, are you implying that all the expert FCS writers who follow around and lap up everything Glanville says NEVER ONCE called him on that quote for it's truthfulness? They just buy it all, hook line and sinker? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I Bleed Purple
November 10th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to be even more annoying about our domination in basketball. It's one thing to go undefeated in conference in football. It's QUITE another to do it in basketball.

GOKATS
November 10th, 2007, 12:31 AM
So, are you implying that all the expert FCS writers who follow around and lap up everything Glanville says NEVER ONCE called him on that quote for it's truthfulness? They just buy it all, hook line and sinker? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Who are all these FCS expert writers? Since Matt moved on to greener pastures I don't know of any.xconfusedx

MaroonMafia
November 10th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to be even more annoying about our domination in basketball. It's one thing to go undefeated in conference in football. It's QUITE another to do it in basketball.

Good luck with that this year. Did you see the Griz score tonight against Colorado State (75-39 Griz win)?

I Bleed Purple
November 10th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Good luck with that this year. Did you see the Griz score tonight against Colorado State (75-39 Griz win)?
Good thing I looked at your schedule. It's actually good. Imagine, Montana scheduling tough opponents! I was going to go off on telling you to get back to me when you actually play somebody.

Anyway, let's talk about Dec. 7, after you have played Gonzaga, the other WSU, and Air Force, while we'll have played Utah, BYU, Utah State, and Illinois.

SeattleGriz
November 10th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Great to see a Montana coach let loose with an arse whoopin'

How was "The Zoo" tonight. Did they bring the house down?

JALMOND
November 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Let me ask you, do you really think there was any truth in that quote? Maybe the media are smarter than I give them credit for. Is it true when Glanville calls the PSU opponent "world beaters" and we will be forntunate to just stay with them (He's been using that quote all year)?

I Bleed Purple
November 10th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Had to wait to respond how I really wanted. Which would you rather have, a blowout win versus a bad MWC, or a close win versus a top WAC team? Utah State is much better than Colorado State.

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Let me ask you, do you really think there was any truth in that quote? Maybe the media are smarter than I give them credit for. Is it true when Glanville calls the PSU opponent "world beaters" and we will be forntunate to just stay with them (He's been using that quote all year)?

My point, JALMOND, is that it's quoted as fact. It's not said "tongue in cheek", it's not said with a "wink, wink" by the reporter. It's quoted as fact, or else it's taken completely out of context. If he actually said it and reporters (make that EVERY reporter) just assumed he was joking, that doesn't make them very good reporters, IMHO.

If he really said it and really meant it, he's an idiot.
If he really said it and really didn't mean it, the reporters are idiots. xwhistlex

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM
My point, JALMOND, is that it's quoted as fact. It's not said "tongue in cheek", it's not said with a "wink, wink" by the reporter. It's quoted as fact, or else it's taken completely out of context. If he actually said it and reporters (make that EVERY reporter) just assumed he was joking, that doesn't make them very good reporters, IMHO.

If he really said it and really meant it, he's an idiot.
If he really said it and really didn't mean it, the reporters are idiots. xwhistlex

Reporters rarely challenge "coachspeak." In fact I don't remember them ever doing it. Might have, but I don't remember it.

Like, if LSU is playing Louisiana Tech and Les Miles says, "They're a good team" and acts like he thinks there's a realistic chance that Tech can beat LSU, nodody's going to say, "WAIT A SECOND, Miles! Do you REALLY believe that."

I have no doubt that it's a fact that Glanville said that. But, c'mon, no reasonable person is going to believe Portland State spent two of its five (and sometimes four or infrequently more on open date weeks) practice days every week practicing for Montana instead of the opponents it had coming up each week. That's absurd.

The fact that he said it doesn't mean he's an idiot or that reporters who don't challenge it or idiots, though. People are very accustomed to hearing coaches blow smoke.

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM
They can't, coaches or players, say anything that would sound as if they were gloating or looking past the opponent.

It's all about looking classy....and not giving "chalkboard material"

I Bleed Purple
November 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Good thing I looked at your schedule. It's actually good. Imagine, Montana scheduling tough opponents! I was going to go off on telling you to get back to me when you actually play somebody.

Anyway, let's talk about Dec. 7, after you have played Gonzaga, the other WSU, and Air Force, while we'll have played Utah, BYU, Utah State, and Illinois.
Actually, I forgot to mention that if we win tonight against San Bernadino, we play UCLA as well.

By the way, that Gonzaga lost looked painful.

On a side note, how do people talk smack like this and mean it? Soon as we lose a game, it's crow city. Necessary, though, considering the UM presence here.